Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 109 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 109 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, and others under McClel-
lan ; also Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville ; re-enl,, and in
Wilderness, Cold Harbor, and others under Grant.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Thomas Abbey. Enl. March, lSfi4.
John Daey. Enl. March 18, 1864.
Joseph Prcmo, Co. F. Enl. July 2:1, 1801, throe years.

Petrie, Co. F. Enl. Feb. 29, 1861.

James Nicholson.

Fiiit New York Liyht ArlilUry.—Qhiis. Waters. Enl. March .1, 18C1,

three years ; (lis. June 23, 1865.
Chester Cooper, Co. B. Enl. Oct. 5, 1861; (lis. Dee. 2.1, 1863; in

battles of Yorktown, Williamsburg, Fair Oal«s. Savage Station,

Peach Orchard, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, FreJcricks-

burg, Chancellorsville.
Louis Bush, Co. F. Enl. Deo. 17, 1863.
Francis Champion, Co. F. Enl. Dec. 23, 1863.
Andrew Hickey, Co. F.

Brazilla Pepper, Co. F. Enl. Feb. 29, 1861.
Joseph Stratton, 1st lieut,
Nathan P. Reynolds.
Other Arlllleri/ ettUalinenls. — Wm. Donn, Co. G, 2d N. Y. Enl. March

13, 1863, three years ; dis. Feb. 5, l»65 ; in battle of Cold Ilarbor ;
wounded at Petersburg.

S. W. Iloughtaling, Co. B, 3d N. Y. Enl. Jan. 10, 1863.

Clark Gregory, 9th N. Y. Enl. Aug. 16, 1862, three years ; dis. Jan.

14, 1865.

Joseph U. Wilber, Co. K, 9th N. Y. Enl. Aug. 19, 1S02; died July

16, 1865.
Geo. McDougal, Co. I, 12th N. Y. Enl. March 9, 1864.
Wm. H. Case, Co. F, 2d N. Y. Heavy. Enl. Feb. 27, 1864 ; dis. June 5,

1865 ; in battles of Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, North Anna, and

Petersburg.
Geo. Pooler, Co. C, 2d N. Y. H. Enl. 1863, three years; supposed

killed in Wilderness.
Henry C. Welsh, Co. I, 9th N. Y. Heavy. Enl. Jan. 9, 1863, three

years ; dis. May 25, 1865 ; in battles of Cold Harbor and Peters-
burg ; taken prisoner at Winchester.
John L. Whipple, Co. K, 9th N. Y, Heavy. Enl. Aug. 13, 1862, three

years ; dis. July, 1865 ; in battles of Martinsburg, Cold Harbor,

and others.
Robt. T. Whipple, Co. L, 16th N. T. Heavy. Enl. Jan. 4, 1864, three

years; dis. June 16, 1865.
Timothy Beebe, Barry's Lt.
Fi/tielh £»jiWer«.— Daniel F. Schenck, Co. D. Enl. Aug. 21, 1861,

three years; dis. Oct. 21, 1864; pro. to lieut. and capt.
John Lynch, Co. D. Enl. Aug. 21, 1861, three years ; dis. Sept. 22,

1864 ; pro. to serg. ; in battles of Fredericksburg, Petersburg, and

James L. Frost, Co. D. EnL Sept. 6, 1861, three years; served time,

and re-enl. 47th N. Y.
Julius Ferrin, Co. D. Enl. Aug. 25,1861, three years; dis. July 12,

1865; wounded at Fredericksburg.
Linus Frost, Co. D. Enl. Aug. 21, 1861, three years ; pro. to serg. ;

dis. Sept. 21, 1864; in battles of Chiokahominy and Fredericks-
Silas Brown, Co. D. Enl. Sept. 7, 1861, three years; dis. Sept. 24,

1862.
Abraham Fancher. Enl. 1861 ; dis. 1862.



Andrew Belts, Thouias Orocn, Eliu Randall, Hiram Thorp, Honry

J. Dunham.
.Sriitlenii;/ Kiilltlmetitt.—Ucnty Ooodfellow, Co. A, 40th Inf. Enl.

Jan. 1, '65; dis. July I, '05; in battles of Petersburg, Uatcber'a

Run, and others.
James C. Hennessy, Co. O, 48th Inf. Enl. Feb. 21, 18(15, for Uiroo

years; dis. Oct. 9, 1.865.
Andrew Prowd, Co. E, 59lh Inf. Enl. Oct., 1802, for three years ; dis.

Oct. 29, 1803; rc-enl. in I93d Inf. ; in battles of Malvern Hill,

2d Bull Run ; wounded at Antictam.
Francis M. Woodruff, Co. E, 59lh Inf. Enl. Oct. 4, '01, for throe years ;

pro. to 1st lieut., 76th Inf.; dis. April 12, 1805; in battle of

Antietam, and many others; captured at the Wilderness.
George Whipple, Co. H, 69th Inf. Enl. Aug. 26, 1804; wounded at

Hatcher's Run ; dis. Juno 13, 1805.
Peter Morrison, Co. I, »2d Inf. Enl. Oct. 8, 1805 ; in baltlcgof Fred-
ericksburg, and wounded at Gettysburg; wounded before Rich-
mond; killed before Petersburg, Oct. 7, 1864.
David II. Rice, Co. C, 93d Inf. Enl. Jan. 1, 1862, for three years;

dis. Jan., 1863.
Ezra C. Salmon, Co. II, 97th Inf. In all the battles of the campaign

of 1864; died at Washington, D. C, Nov. 26, 1861.
Charles Gregory, Co. K, 138th Inf. Enl. Aug., 1862, for three years ;

dis. Jan. 1, 1863 ; accidentally wounded.
John Whipple, 138th Inf.
Chas. C. West, Co. F, 140th Inf. Enl. Aug. 4, 1863, for two years;

dis. Aug. 4, 1865.
John De Groot, Co. F, USth Inf. Enl. J.in. 1, lS6^for one year.
Sylvester Yeomans, 149th Inf. ^k

Martin Russell, 185th Inf. Enl. Sept. .3, 1864; in bathes Hatcher's

Run, Fort Steadman, etc. ; dis, Jan. 22, 1865.
Amos G. Payne, Co. 1, 189th Inf. Enl. Sept, 1.3, 1864, for one year;

dis. May 26, 1865; in battles of Hatcher's Run, Five Forks,

Martin Montague, Co. D, 67th Penna. In battle of Hatcher's Run ;
wounded at Petersburg ; dis. July 24, 1865.

Peter Goodness, Co. C, 9th R. I. Enl. May 22, 1862.

Peter Murray, Scott's Nine Hundred.

Miles Burke, Scott's Nino Hundred. Enl, Jan. 10, 1864.

James Carlane, Scott's Nine Hundred.

Jas. Nicholson, 1st M. RiOes. Enl, Aug., 1SB2: pri.soner at Petersburg.

In the ifdvi/. — Lucicn Downey.

William Flanncry, Ship "North Carolina." Enl. Feb, 28, 1864; dis.
Feb, 28, 18B5.

Michael Griffin. Enl. Aug. 1804, for one year ; dis. in Aug., 1865.

Robert Cushing. Enl. Aug., 1864.

Nnmct of men n/ wham nu further record It to he found. — Alanson
Barber, David Harvey, E. F. Cleaveland, Silas Withey, Seth
Kelsey, Mark N. Bates, A. B, Eldridge, H. N. Rumsey, Coughlin,
Michael Hammill, George Wilson, Andrew J. Washburn, Daniel
W. Washburn, William P. Thomas, Chester Smith, Andrew Stou-
dinger, Robert M. Rich, William Pcntalon, Martin Jones, Chas.
P. Lewis, George Look, Edward Galvin, Adam W. Gilbert,
Francis Havens, Charles E. House, Joseph E. Eddes, Charles
Fo.\, Fernando D. Caywood, George Armstrong.



S E I B A.



ScRlBA lies upon Lake Ontario and the east bank of the
Oswego river. It is admirably located with reference to rail-
road and other accommodations, and is in close proximity
to the city of Oswego. It is crossed in the north by the
Rome, Ogdensburgh and Watertown railroad station of
North Scriba, being located within its limits, while along
its western part, parallel to the river, runs the Oswego
canal, which, except in the winter months, affords the citi-
zens abundant competition in the carrying trade, of which
they have availed themselves, much to their profit, as shown
by the increased prosperity of the agriculturist.

The early settlers were mostly from Herkimer county in
this State, with a sprinkling of the Puritan element of New
England, rew^cnting that restless, industrious class which
can best drafw out the hidden resources of a virgin country.
A people pro.sperous and intelligent, they are justly noted
for hospitality and the social virtues, while their broad
charity and public spirit find them foremost in every enter-
prise conducive to the general welfare. The first pioneers
who penetrated the wilds of Scriba at the close of the last
century and the dawn of this, found an interminable forest
of hemlock, beech, and maple, interspersed with cedar, be-
neath which was a dense undergrowth, the home of the
deer, the wolf, and the deadly rattlesnake, and where even
the treacherous panther crept and Watched for his prey.
To add to the unpleasantness of pioneer life in this section,
the settlers were subject to the intrusions of the Indians,
who often frequented it while on their hunting and fishing
excursions.

With axe and gun, with sturdy arms and iron will, the
grand work of carving out the civilization of to-day was
commenced. Trees were felled to make room for the little
cabin in the forest, which was laid up of logs and covered
with bark ; the floor consisting of basswood hewed on one
side ; the window and door of small openings, generally
covered with blankets, skins, or boards, though it is said of
the more aristocratic that instead of glass " they sometimes
used greased paper." The only substitute for a stove was
the old-fashioned stone fireplace, taking in logs of wood
eight feet long, with an opening in the roof for the passage
of the smoke. Let us imagine furniture in accordance with
such a house, and we have a fair picture of the forest homes
of 1800. When the scattered clearings began to admit the
sunlight, the stagnant pools made by obstructed water-
courses, and the many swamps, sent forth in the heat of
summer malaria impregnated witli disease and fruitful of
suffering.

This town, it is needless to say, was named in honor of

George Scriba, whose career has been described in the

general histoiy of the county. The name was conferred

by the legislature, although at least a portion of the people

412



were dissatisfied with it, and forwarded a petition that the
town should be called Boston. Scriba was formed April 5,
1811, from Fredericksburg (now Volney), which was then
a part of Oneida county. Since then quite a portion has
been taken off, and is included in the city of Oswego.

The soil is a gravelly and sandy loam, moderately fertile,
pretty well supplied with stone, and best adapted to the
raising of fruit, apples being the staple product of the
town. Grain and potatoes are raised to a considerable
extcTit. There is also a growing interest in the dairying
business, both butter and cheese being produced. At present
three cheese-factories are in operation. The surface is
rolling, the ridges extending north and south with a general
inclination each way from the centre, and most of the land
is well adapted to agriculture. It is sufiiciently well watered
for all farming purposes, springs being abundant in every
part, and numerous streams with their small tributaries
flowing both north and south. Some of these. Black creek
in particular, afl^ord valuable mill privileges. Of the twenty-
three thousand three hundred and thirty-four and a half
acres composing the area of the town, seven thousand four
hundred and thirty-nine and a half acres remain un-
improved.

To encourage immigration and the rapid development of
the country, land was sold to the settlers for two dollars
per acre, and on indefinite time, by paying the cost of ex-
ecuting the contract, keeping up improvements, and paying
the annual interest. Lots were also given for church build-'
ings to religious societies that wished to build, and in some
instances mill-sites for private mills.

SETTLEMENT.

The standard of civilization was first planted in this town
by Henry Everts, who came in here with his family in
1798. He selected and purchased a farm in the southwest
part of the town, on the bank of the river. Here he felled
the first tree cut by a white man, and while it was falling,
although he was entirely alone, with no white person within
several miles, he took off his hat, swung it around his head,
and made the forest ring with his cheers. It is said of him
that, having no seed with which to start a meadow, he went
farther down the stream, cut up sods from some grassy spots
there, and transplanted them on to his own land. The first
birth in Scriba was that of his child, Henry, Jr. Mr. E.
remained here but a few years, when he moved across the
river into the town of Oswego.

In 1801, Asahel Bush and Samuel Tifl'any, each with
a family, migrated from the east, bringing their •' all" on two
sleds drawn by oxen, and took up land in the vicinity of
Everts. They were the first settlers who lived and died
upon their places. Mr. Bush preached occasionally, and




RES OF (GEORGE FRADEN BURGH ,6cmBA. OSWEGO co.,H Y



I



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUiNTY, NEW YOllK.



413



was unquestionably the first to advocate the teachings of
the Scriptures in the town, which practice he continued
more or less for many years.

The families of William Burt and Hiel Stone, each con-
sisting of husband and wife, six sons and four daughtei-s,
and each largel}' identified with the early interests of this
town, migrated from Ovid, Seneca county, in the spring of
1 80-i, and took up large farms near the centre of the town ;
the former occupying the two western and the latter the
two eastern lots at Scriba Corners. The journey was made
by way of Cayuga lake, Seneca and Oswego rivers, in a
kind of a vessel known as a " Durham boat," which was
either rowed or pushed as occasion required. Mr. Stone
brought with him three cows, a yoke of oxen, and a few
sheep, which were driven along the banks of the streams.
Upon arriving at the mouth of the Oswego river, arrange-
ments were made to stop in the old fort until the spring
following, which they accordingly did. In the mean time the
above-named place for location had been selected, log houses
built, and the State road cut out thus far. Burt's cabin was
situated on the site now owned and occupied by David Stone ;
Stone's on the village lot recently purchased by the Grange
society. Clearings were made, and crops planted among
the stumps and logs, neither plow nor drag being used. The
orchard on the farm now owned by B. C. Turner was set
out by Mr. Stone. This he continued to enlarge until it
became quite extensive, and being the only one for miles
around, it became very celebrated.

The first inn was kept by Mr. Stone, who made an addi-
tion to his house in 1806, and was the only person to take
the responsibility of host in this vicinity for many years.
His log hotel gave way in a few years to a larger one, sit^
uated on the village lot now owned by Frank Stone, which
was constructed of brick made by Mr. Stone himself This
building was recently burned. Mr. Stone was a major in
the war of 1812, and Mr. Burt was Scriba's first justice of
the peace. John, Daniel, Harvey, and Calvin, sons, and
Grace Ann, a daughter of the latter, also Mrs. James
Church and Sally Parkhurst, daughters of the former, are
still living in town.

Joseph WorJen located ou lot 81 in 1806. On his
death the property passed into the hands of his son, P. H.
Worden, who now occupies the homestead. The farm
across the road was purchased about the same time by
Oliver Sweet, and that adjoining by John Coon. This
same year Ludwick Madison took up a farm on lot 104,
which he sold in 1807 to Whitman Church, and moved to
Volney. The latter was originally from Otsego county.
He first migrated to the pine woods, where he remained but
a short time, and then came on to Scriba. During the war
of 1812 he returned to Otsego. A son James, hale and
hearty at the ripe age of eighty-one, resides at Scriba Cor-
ners. He has been justice of the peace for fifteen years,
and has occupied other positions of trust in the town.

Lot 94 was settled by Joseph Myers, who remained but
a short time, and returned to the east. The first settle-
ment on lot 78 was made in 1806, by Daniel Hall, a native
of Herkimer county. The following year he sold to Joseph
Turner, who occupied the place until his death, since when
it has been in possession of his son Russcl. Samuel Jacks



purchased, in 1805, a farm on lot 89, the possession of
which he retained but a short time. This place was owned
as early as 1805 by Solomon Madison, wlio.se descendants
still retain the title to it. Merrill and Justin Hall, brothers,
early located on lot 103. They came from Connecticut in
a wagon, drawn by a yoke of oxen and a horse hitched on
before, bringing along a supply of pewter buttons to defray
their traveling expenses. This place was sold to Simon
Phillips, and by him to E. Ilobinson ; it was afterwards
purcha.scd by I. Parkhurst, its present owner.

George Cyrenius located on lot 90 in 180G, and the
place has remained in possession of descendants of the
family until recently. In tiie spring of this year, Paul
Shelden, accompanied by his son, Paul, Jr., then sixteen
years of age, came in on foot from Herkimer county,
making the journey in three days, and commencedimprove-
ments on one hundred acres of land, situated on the State
road, within the present city limits, which he had pur-
chased for three dollars and seventy-five cents per acre the
year previous. The father and son, during the summer,
cleared two acres and forty rods of ground, which Wiis
planted to corn and potatoes. After harvesting a splendid
crop in the fall, they returned to Herkimer. The winter
following, the family, consisting of him.self and wife and
eleven children, came back, bringing with them a cow, a
hog, and a pair of steers. Mr. S. lived on the place until
his death. Paul, Jr., early located on lot 41, where he now
resides, being the only surviving member of the family.

He informs us that the settlei-s considered them.selvo3

well accommodated when a grist-mill w;is put up at Mexico,

as previous to this the nearest one was at Camden, Oneida

county. When the meal was manufactured at home, one

I method much in vogue was as follows :

" The pioneer felled a good solid maple-tree at a conve-
nient point near the front door of the log mansion, cutting
off the top of the slump as squarely and smoothly as pos-
sible. He then cut a hole in the top of the slump as deep
as could be made with an axe, and as near round as might
be. This being done, a few good coals were placed in the
cavity and the hole burned out smoothly and evenly until
it was of the proper shape and size. After this the propri-
etor, who could now almost boast that he owned a corn-
mill, with a peculiar tool scraped out the charred and
burned wood until the hole aforesaid presented a smooth
and even surface, and was about twelve or fourteen inches
deep and ten inches across. Then a spring-pole Wiis erected,
to which a wooden pounder, nicely rounded on the lower
end, was attached. All being thus in rciidiness, the miller
seated himself upon the stump astride the hole, which,
being filled about a third full of corn, he proceeded to pound
until it was sufficiently broken and crushed to make his
johnny-cake."

In 1807, Dr. Deodatus Clark, from Onondaga county,
located in what was afterwards the town of Scriba, but is
now Oswego city. lie was the first phy.sieian who had any
considerable practice in town.

Hiram Warner, a wheelwright, w;ls the jiiuneer on the
farm now owned by J. Randall, as early as 1807. Eph-
raim Parkhurst .settled on lot 70 in 1807. His brother
Daniel was a pioneer on lot GO. Tlirei,' sons of the former.



414



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Nelson, Rufus, and Charles, also two sons of the latter,
Isaac and Sylvester, are yet living in town. Silas Bacon, a
soldier in the war of 1812, settled on lot 16, where he re-
sided until his death. The place is now owned by his
grandson, George Bacon. As early as 1810, Geo. Potter
had commenced improvements and lived in a log house on
lot 88. He was accidentally shot at a training prior to the
war of 1812.

Other early settlers were Eliphalet Parkhurst, on lot
108; Holden and Daniel Corp, on lot 17; Henry Potter,
on lot 90 ; Harvey and Abel Butler, on lot 31 ; Chapman
Morgan, on lot 43 ; James Farley, on lot 44 ; Reuben
Seely, on lot 95 ; Samuel Frazier, on lot 105 ; Daniel Burt,
son of William, on lot 96 ; Aaron Parkhurst, a short dis-
tance east of the corners ; William Woulson, on lot 94 ;
also Erastus Stone, son of Hiel, took up a large tract on
lots 23, 24, and 44. We also find the following, whose
names should appear on the roll of pioneers : Rev. Samuel
Baldwin, T. S. Morgan, Daniel Du Bois, Alfred Sabins,
Joshua Miner, Hezekiah Lathrop, John Shapley, Orlo
Steele, Joseph F. Sweet, Philo Fowler, J. Meachani, Peter
D. Hugunin, Amasa Newton, Mr. Pickett, and Mr.
Whitney.

THE FIRST SCHOOL AND POST-OFFICE.

The first school-house was erected in this town, in 1807,
a short distance west of Scriba Cornei-s, on land then owned
by Wm. Burt, and now by his grandson William. It was
a log structure, one and a half stories high, and very small.
The seating accommodation was limited to five short benches,
made of slabs, and one chair. The first school was kept
here by a Mr. Edgecomb, who lived in the school-house
with his wife and two children. For two summers Mr. E.
labored here imparting instruction to the aspiring youth.
In the spring of 1809 a larger and more commodious
school-house, accommodating perhaps sixty pupils, was
built on the four corners north of Scriba. For a number
of years the only school iu town was kept in it. Others
among the pioneer teachers were James Taggart, John and
Francis Dean, Levi Reed, Hezekiah Lathrop, Wm. Ras-
niussen, and a Mr. Looniis. Among surviving pupils of
these schools are ]Mrs. P. Potter ; Philo, Wm., and Anson
Stone ; John and Daniel Burt ; Mrs. A. Parkhurst, James
and Mrs. Church, Polly Burt, Mrs. S. Adams, Mrs. T.
Hall; Russell, Benjamin C, Morris, and Sylvester Turner;
Alvin, Cyrenius, Nelson, Rufus, and Isaac Parkhurst.

The first post-office was established at a very early day,
and received the name of Scriba post-office, which it has
ever since retained. Hiel Stone became the first post-
master, which office he held for many years. This post-
office was on the old mail-route between Oswego and Utica,
and the only mail-carrier for a long time was Joseph Wor-
den, who made the journey on horseback.

MARRIAGES AND DEATHS.

The first marriage was that of John Masters and Elsie
Baldwin, in 1806. It is believed that this ceremony was
performed by Rev. Samuel Baldwin, the bride's father.
The second marriage was that of Walter Reed and Susan
Morrow, who were joined in wedlock in 1807, by Wm.
Burt, justice of the peace. The parties came on foot from



near the lake-shore to his house, a distance of about two
miles. At the conclusion of the ceremony the wife re-
turned home, and the husband, having urgent bu.siness in
Utica, continued the journey. The frequency of matrimo-
nial alliances was regulated by the influx of the marriage-
able, and it is to be regretted that no record has been kept
by justice or minister.

The first cemetery was that known as the Burt burying-
ground, at Scriba Corners, and the first interment therein
was that of a son of Hiram Warner, in 1807, this being
the first death in town. Phoebe Pickett, George Potter,
Fannie Sheldon, Mrs. Joseph Sweet, and several members
of the Whitney and Lathrop families were among the early
burials here. This place was succeeded for mortuary pur-
poses by the Worden burying-ground, which was used as
early as 1820.

Early roads were rare, usually consisting of an enlarged
foot-path at first, but keeping range with the advance of
other improvements. The first one in this town was the
old State road, the main thoroughfare from Oswego to
Utica, which became passable as early as 1812. At this
time it ran north from Scriba Corners, and thence east on
the middle road. It has since been used as a plank-road.

Much more might be written without our being able to
make the reader realize half the privations and difficulties
of the early inhabitants ; yet that very simplicity of fare
and life laid the foundation of great vitality. Food was
made of the squirrel that depredated upon the growing
crop, and the housewife found the gooseberry, cranberry,
and wild-plum no poor substitute for the sauce and pre-
serves of the east. Sickness was added to hardship, and
the fever and ague kept them alternately shivering and
burning throughout the summer. The women did their
carding by hand, and colored with bark of the butternut.
Summer clothing was made from the fibre of flax, and for
males homespun was the only wear.

Orrin Stone and Aaron Parkhurst kept the first store,
in 1819. It was situated a short distance from the log
tavern, and for at lea.st twenty-five years was the only store
in town. It was a small frame building, the first in the
vicinity, one story in height, and a "pocket concern," as it
has been termed, in every respect.



Scriba Corners (Scriba post-office) is a small village with
a population of about three hundred, and is located near
the centre of the town, on the plank-road, four miles east of
the city of Oswego. It contains two stores, two physicians,
— Drs. A. C. Taylor and G. W. Snyder, — one church
(Methodist Episcopal), a school, a cooper- and blacksmith-
shop, and other minor interests.

This place commenced with Stone's tavern. W. Wool-
son kept a shoe-shop and Amos Grafton a blacksmith-shop
here at an early day.

North Scriba is a hamlet and station on the Rome,
Watertown and Ogdensburgh railroad, and is situated nortli-
east of the centre of the town. It contains a post-office,
two stores, a harness shop, a blacksmith-shop, a school, and
two churches (Methodist and Baptist). The population is
about two hundred.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



415



South Scriba is a hamlet situated iu the southeast part
of the town, and has a post-office, grocery, saw-mill, and
blacksmith-shop.

Lansing, situated two and one-half miles southwest of



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 109 of 120)