Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 114 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 114 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


potatoes, three hundred. The soil was sadly impoverished
by them to pay for their farms, but is now improving under
modern management.

The old Rotterdam road, from Constantia to Mexico Point
(then called Vera Cruz), was opened through this town by
Mr. Scriba, as stated in the general history, in 1794 or
1795. The road from Camden to Mexico Point was sur-
veyed near the time of the first settlement. Other roads
have been opened as necessity required.

The first birth in town was that of Ransom Orton, son
of Eleada Orton, in 1805. The firet death was that of
Jonathan Bedell, killed by the fidling of a tree on small lot
No. 4. This casualty occurred during the first two or three
years of settlement, but the exact date cannot be ascertained.
His widow wedded Nathan Parkhurst, and this was the first
marriage.

The first school-house in Parish was built, in 1808, of
logs, covered with hemlock boards, at a cost of fifteen dol-
lars, and was situated where the town-hall now stands. The
first teacher was Samuel Phileo. Joseph Torry, afterwards
surrogate of Oswego County, also taught thei* at an early
day. This primitive temple of education was torn down
and replaced by a frame house in 1816.

At the town centennial picnic, held September 9, 1876,
Jarvis Hatch, of Mexico, aged seventy years, rose and said
he was a pupil in that old log school-house with the hem-
lock roof He is probably tlie only person now living who
attended school in that house.

In 1814 the first frame school-house in town was erected
on small lot No. 60, at a cost of a hundred and fifty dollars.
The district in which it was situated was called district No.
1, of Mexico. Though Parish has always tenaciously sup-
ported the common schools, it has also been the fast.friend
of advanced education. Professor J. H. House, principal
of the State normal school, at Cortland, is a native of this
town, and many other teachers whom Parish has sent forth
have attained high rank in their chosen professions.

The first grist-mill was erected, with three run of stone,
in 1828, by Paul Allen and John Becker, on the north
branch of Salmon creek, in the present village of Parish.
In 1872 it was destroyed by fire, and in its place the large
mill now owned by Robertson & Co. was erected, at a cost



of eighteen thousand dollars. This structure (named " Ce-
resco Mill," by P]dwin Palmer) has four run of stone,
capable of turning out forty barrels of flour and ten tons of
meal per day. There has never been any other grist-mill
in town than the two just mentioned on the same site.

The first tanner and shoemaker was Elder Barnes, who
carried on those trades on a small scale and for only a short
time. The first tannery of any importance was erected in
1830, by John Simplot, a Frenchman, near the grist-mill.
About 1833 it became the property of John C. Warn. In
1859 it was burned, but was rebuilt by Mr. Warn, who
sold it in 1865 to Robertson & Co. It has since been
much enlarged. It now uses three thousand cords of bark
yearly, and tans about two hundred thousand sides of sole-
leather, using nothing but dry Spanish hides. It employs
directly about twenty men, and there is near a hundred
and fifty thousand dollars of capital invested in it. It runs
by steam-power, and this steam is also used to warm the
grist-mill. There are also in town ten saw -mills and one
planing-machine.

In 1829, Ephraim E. Ford erected tlic first store, a small
building which has since been enlarged, and is now owned
by the Mosher brothers. Mr. Ford kept it until 1850,
part of the time in company with Paul W. Allen. From
that small beginning the mercantile business of Parish has
increased until there are now ten stores in town, including
those devoted to drugs and hardware.

Jacob J. Miller furnished accommodations to travelers at
his bouse in the eastern part of the town at an early day,
but the first regular tavern was built in 1829, by Isara
Simons, who kept it till 1857. In 1871 it was burned,
and on its site the handsome Ludington block was erected.
There are now four public-houses in Parish, — the Carley
House, the Martin House, the Parish House, and the Petrie
House.

Joseph Storer was the first blacksmith. He was here as
early as 1815, and moved away by 1822. In 1828, Joseph
Brown erected a blacksmith-shop. There are now three
blacksmith-shops, besides one wagon-shop and one cabinet-
shop.

Austin White was the fii-st physician. He was a native
of Albany county, and a graduate of the medical school at
Fairfield, Herkimer county. He settled in town in 1832,
and resided there until his death in 1876. Tobias J.
Green is now the oldest physician in Parish, having been a
resident there since 1847. He is a native of Rensselaer
county, and a graduate of the medical university of New
York city. The other physicians are Judson J. Taylor,
John B. Ladd, and Cornelius S. Houfse.

Archibald N. Ludington, now a prominent member of
the Syracuse bar, was the first lawyer in Parish. He set-
tled there in 1848, and left in 1851 ; being afterwards dis-
trict attorney of the county. S. T. Parsons, now a resident
of Michigan and once a member of the legislature of that
State, succeeded Mr. Ludington. Newton W. Nutting,
grandson of the early pioneer, Thomas Nutting, commenced
his legal practice in Parish in 1861. He has been district
attorney and school commissioner, and is now a resident of
Oswego city. The present lawyers of Parish are Edwin G.
Lynch and Harmon D. Nutting. The latter was a resident



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



431



of Virginia for a time, and was elected to tlie scnat« of that
State. Ill health prevented his remaining there.

The first post-route through town was established in
1 832. The mail ran over it from Camden to Colosse once
a week. Dexter Howard and Cyrus H. Harvey were the
first mail-carriers. Ephraim E. Ford was the first post-
master, and held the ofiice till he moved out of town in
1856. In fact, Parish is somewhat remarkable for liavin>;
had only five postmasters since the first one was appointed
forty-five years ago. There is but one office in town, but
that has a mail twice a day.

The Syracuse northern division of the Rome and Og-
densburgh railroad passes through the western part of this
town two and three-fourths miles. It was built in 1870
and 1871, and was then called the Syracuse Northern rail-
road. Previous to the disorganization of the old company,
Parish was honored with a director and vice-president, Dr.
T. J. Green. The town was bonded for thirty-five thousand
"dollars to build the road. The first train of cars ran No-
vember, 1871. The road is doing a good business.

This town was erected from Mexico, by act of the legis-
lature, on the 20th day of March, 1828. It was called
ParLsh, in honor of David Parish, the great landed proprie-
tor, who purchased the survey-township of Strasburg from
George Scriba.

The first town-meeting was held the fii-st Tuesday of
May, 1828, at the Parishville school-house, when the fol-
lowing officers were elected: Paul Allen, supervisor; John
Becker, town clerk ; Stutely Palmer, T. Nutting, and
Marks Edick, assessors ; Isam Simons, collector; Denison
B. P;Jmer, Benajah Whitney, and Jacob J. Miller, com-
missioners of highways ; Wm. D. Wightman and Wm.
Wightman, poor-masters ; Richard Cleveland, Erastus Fyler,
and Samuel Barber, commissioners of schools; Denison B.
Palmer, Isaac B. Mead, and Charles Gardner, inspeetore of
schools ; George Earles, Peter Edick, Squire Palmer, and
Chancey Whitney, constables ; Benajah Whitney, Joseph
Maybee, and Jacob Mead, pound-masters ; John Becker,
sealer of weights and measures.

No justices of the peace were elected then, but Marks
Edick, Jacob Slingerland, Luny Thayer, and Paul Perry
were chosen the succeeding fall.

The town was then divided into five school districts and
four parts of districts ; now it has thirteen districts and
fourteen school-houses. Q'hen it had twenty-three road
districts, now fifty-eight.

The following is a list of the supervisors, with the years
of their service: Paul Allen, 1828-32; Alfred Phelps,
1833-40; Ephraim E. Ford, 1841-43; Luny Thayer,
1844, 1847-50; John Clapsaddle, 1845; Harvey Palmer,
1846 and '55; Joseph Osborn, 1841-53; Paul W. Allen,
1854 ; John C. Warn, 1856 ; Austin White, 1857 ; Andrew
Ashton, 1858 and '59; John Becker, 1860 and '61 ; Jona-
than Irish, 1862, '65, '66, '70 ; James David, 1863 and
'64; Frank H. Argersinger, 1867-69; Romayne C. Rob-
ertson, 1871-76; Jerry Foley, 1872, 1874-75; Daniel
Edick, 1873; and Judson J. Taylor, in 1877.

At one of the first town-meetings a resolution was passed
(which is still in force) that no cattle should be allowed on
the highway, to roam about a grist-mill, store, tavern, or



place of public worship, between December 1 and May 1.
A fine of fifty cents was imposed on cattle-owners for vio-
lating the ordinance.

The e.\planation of this local law is to lie fnund in the
fact that the old settlers, when they drove to mill, store,
tavern, or meeting, took fodder for their cattle with them,
and they wanted to be able to leave it unguarded, without
running any risk of its being eaten up by wandering
depredators.

Two residents of Parish have been members of the State
assembly: Luny Thayer in 1845, and Harvey Palmer in
1863 and '64.

The deeds of the men of Parish in the war for the Union
will be found recounted in the history of the regiments
from Oswego County. Nine thousand dollars were also
raised and paid by the town to aid the Union cau.se by pay-
ing the bounties of soldiers.

On the fourteenth day of May, 1874, a weekly newsjiaper
was established at Parishville by John W. Northrop, editor
and proprietor, which is still published by him. Mention
of this journal will also be found in our cliajiter on the
press.

Among the institutions of Parish we must not forget
the town-hall, fifty by thirty feet in size, purchased in 1857,
being composed of the lower story of a building, the upper
part of which is occupied by the Masons. There is also a
"lock-up," for which, however, there is but little use.

The leading business interests are agriculture (including
dairying) and lumbering. Many barrels for the Syracuse
salt-works are also made there. Yet, though Parish is
enriched by no commercial or manufacturing establishments,
it is far from being an undesirable place of residence. The
soil is reasonably fertile, the water and air are remarkably
pure, and health sheds her inestimable blessings over the
people. There has been no fitful or speculative growth, but
a steady increase of population, which has risen from nine
hundred and sixty-eight in 1830 to two thousand and sixty-
two in 1875.

Very free from all aristocratic pretensions are the farmers
and lumbermen of Parish. The pioneers who swung their
axes in the forest seventy years ago were scarcely more so.
For near ten years a very plea.sant custom has obtained of
holding an annual town-picnic after the close of each har-
vest, in which the whole community is expected to take
part. Rich and poor, high and low, male and female, old
and young, all Parish is welcome; and if the fabled period
of Arcadian simplicity is not renewed, at least all meet lor
a few hours on a footing of efiuality, and many a pleasant
day is the result of this charming custom.

It now only remains to notice the various societies of the
town.

Republican Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons was
organized May 14, 1874. The charter-members were
Samuel Porter, Avery Skinner, John B. Ackley, Hiram
Walker, and Samuel T. Parsons. Samuel Porter was the
first Master. The lodge has been decidedly prosperous,
owning their lodge-room and furniture, and being clear from
debt.

A tent of Reehabites was organized on the 19th of July,
I 1876, with fifteen members. Harmon D. Nutting was the



432



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



first Chief Ruler. They are increasing in members, and
are wielding a good influence in the cause of temperance.

The Odd-Fellows, Good Templars, Union Leaguers, and
Americans have had societies in town, but all have passed
away.

About the year 1815, several members of the Meihodist
Episcopal church formed a class in school-house No. 1 ,
Mexico, now Parish. Richard Ford was appointed leader.
The class migrated to several places, but the present Metho-
dist class in the village of Parish can still trace their origin
to that primitive organization. It is diflacult to name all
the early Methodist ministers, but among those truly good
men we can mention a Wheeler, a Northrop, a Salisbury, a
Williams, and a Castle. Several classes have been formed
in town, which are now extinct. The present one at the
village may re-date their organization from the year 1855,
with Archibald C. Garrison as leader.

In the Avinter of 1840 and 1841, after a powerful revival
of religion, it was thought desirable to build a church edifice
during the coming season. After several meetings, a sub-
scription was drawn up, payable to John Becker, in con-
sideration that he should erect the church and give the
land on which to build it, which he did. The church was
to be called Congregational, but those friendly to other
denominations understood that they were to have the use
of it when not wanted by the Congregationalists. The
church was erected in 1841, and in October of that year
it was dedicated. Rev. Ralph Robinson (Congregational)
was the preacher, and Rev. Mr. Van Alstyne (Lutheran)
offered the dedicatory prayer. The several denominations
who held meetings in the vicinity removed them to the
church, but the Baptists for many years were the principal
occupants of the pulpit almost alone. About the time of
the dedication, the Presbyterians, Congregationalists, and
Lutherans of the place catue together as one denomination,
and adopted Congregational discipline. Rev. S. W. Champ-
lin (Lutheran) was selected as pastor, and John Wright
and Nicholas Oxner were chosen deacons.

Rev. Mr. Porter was afterwards pastor. This organiza-
tion existed about five years. The church edifice was used
alternately by several denominations until 1869, since when
it has been occupied by the Methodists.

The Methodist pastors since 1869 have been Aaron J.
Cowles, Joseph B. McCullough, Elijah H. Munger, and
William H. Hall. This is the only church edifice ever
built in town. The Methodists re-dedicated it December
8, 1876, Rev. B. I. Ives preacher. Its original cost was
eighteen hundred dollars, and in 1870 it was repaired, at
a cost of eighteen hundred dollars more. It will accommo-
date three hundred people.

The first Sunday-school formed in town was about the
year 1830. John Becker was one of the first superinten-
dents, and held the position most of the time until his
death in 1862. The present number of pupils is about one
hundred, with a hundred volumes in the library. Sunday-
school papers largely .supply the place of books.

The Free-Will Baptists have two small societies, which
worship in the school-houses. The first was organized about
1858, with near twenty members, in school district No. 2.
The society is small, and has no stated preaching.



The second one was formed March 14, 1869, with twenty-
three members, in .school district No. 6. Deacon Stephen
GriflBth was chairman of the council, and S. W. Turner
clerk, when the church was organized. Rev. Albert P.
Phinney was chosen the first pastor of the church, and
still occupies that position. George C. Brown and Austin
Smith were cho.scn deacons.

Besides the foregoing, the first Baptist church (being the
second of any denomination) in Oswego County was origi-
nally organized within the present town of Parish. The
church edifice, however, having been erected in Mexico, the
history of the church, in accordance with our general sys-
tem, is given with that town, though a large proportion of
its members are residents of Parish.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH.

HARVEY PALMER

is a native of Parish, Oswego County, New York, where he
was born on the 8th day of September, 1816. He is a de-
scendant of the English who settled in Connecticut prior to
the Revolution, and inherits in a great degree the energy
and force of character of those honored pioneers. After at-
tending the common schools he entered the Rensselaer Os-
wego academy, where he graduated, and subsequently studied
law and medicine.

In 186"i he was elected to the assembly of this State, and
served in that capacity two years. He has been chosen by
his fellow-townsmen to the office of .supervisor, and served
four terms. He has also ofliciated as justice of the peace
and assessor. Mr. Palmer has also rendered himself useful
in the military, and has discharged the duties of colonel and
inspector-general of militia.

September 16, 1835, he united in marriage with Amanda
North. They had one child, who died in infancy. Mrs.
Palmer died February 3, 1840. May 27, 1847, Mr.
Palmer married Olive Porter. Their family consisted of
one child, who died at the age of fourteen years.

In all matters looking to the welfare of the public Mr.
Palmer is ever found foremost, and has done much towards
the advancement of the religious and educational interests of
the community in which he resides. He has manifested an
active interest in political matters, and is a member of the
Republican party. He has often been called from the store
and the farm by his fellow-citizens to ofiiciate in various
public capacities, and has ever discharged his duties with
great credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his
constituency. Mr. Palmer is a consistent member of the
Baptist church. He resides on the farm purchased by his
father when he came to this county, and is surrounded by
all the attributes of a happy rural home.



MILITARY RECORD OF PARISH.



Byron Adams, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.
C. D. Barney, 14nh Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1863; discharged 1865.
Geo. M. Brooks, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865;
re- enlisted 2d N. Y. Cav.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, m:\V YORK.



433



Geo. Bale.v, 24tli N. Y. Cav. Enlisted Feb., 186i; discharged 1865.
Jno. Baley, lS4(li Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.
G. Bush, 1st H. Alt. Enlisted Sept., 18G2; discharged Sept., 1865.
Curtis Bulloi.s 147th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864; discharged 1865.
Orlansou Brown, 18Jth Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1S64; discharged 1865.
Wm. M. Brown, 184th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864; discharged 1865.
James M. Bennot, 24th Cav. Enlisted Dec, 1863; discharged 1865.
Perry Benson, 1.85th Inf. Enlisted Sejit., 1864; discharged 1865.
Chas. A. Babcoek, 149th Inf. Enl. Aug., 1862; discharged 1865.
S. Beaulin, 24th Inf. Enlisted May, 1861; discharged 1865; 1st

licut ; promoted to capt.
Joseph Berry, 147th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862; discharged 1865.
Ale.x. Bulson, 21st Cav. Enl. Sept., 1861 ; dis. 1865 ; ro-cnl'd.
Harrison Burgdorf, 110th Inf. Enl. Sept., 1862; discharged 1865.
S. 11. V. Burgdorf, 184th Inf. Enl. Sept., 1864; discharged 1865.
Timothy Brochef, lS4th Inf. Enl. Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.
Willis Bellows, 184th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864; discharged 1865.
Amos G. Brook, 2d Cav. Enlisted July, 186.'!; died of sickness.
S. S. Bcntly, 20th Cav. Enl. Aug., 1863; d. City Point, Apr., 1865.
Amos Benson, 2d H. Art. Enlisted Jan., 1864; died at Key West,

Jan. 9, 1864.
Edw. J. Clock, 184th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864; discharged 1865.
Samuel P. Clock, 184th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864; discharged 1865 ;

promoted 4th corporal.
U. R. Cole, 149th Inf. Enlisted March, 1864; discharged 1865.
Jno. H. Copp, 186th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.
Chas. R. Copp, Lt. Art. Enlisted Sept., 1864; discharged 1865.
Hiram Copley, lS7th Inf. Enlisted Dec, 1864; discharged 1865.
AVarren Card, 33d Wisconsin Inf. Enlisted Oct., 1861: dis. 1865.
Seth Cole, 24lh Cav. Enlisted Dec, 1863; dis. 1865.
Abel Comstock, 44th Inf. Enlisted March, '62; dis. '65; wounded.
W. J. Carly, 4th Art. Enlisted Aug., 1861 ; dis. Aug., 1862.
Daniel Cole, Jr., 24th Cav. Enlisted Dec, 1863: killed May, 1865,

at Denrider's Court-House.
John Copey, 14th L. Art. Enlisted Dec, 1863; pro. to sergt.-major;

died Aug. 3, 1864.
Lucian Cronk, iy3d Inf. Enlisted March, 1864; died July 17, 1864.
John H. Dinnis, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; dis. 1865.
Chas. B. Downs, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.
II. G. DeGarmo. Enlisted Aug., 1864.
Ashael Dickerson, 149th Inf. Enlisted March, 1864 ; died July, 1864,

at Nashville.
Peter Down. Enlisted Aug., 1862; died.

C. H. Ediek, 147th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862; discharged 1865 ; reg-
imental postmaster.
Wallace Edick, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.
Wm. Emmerson, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; dis. 1865.
Harlow G. Frost, 194th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.
T. J. Green, 111th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862 ; discharged Dec, 1862,

for disability : surgeon.
B. Green, 24th Cav. Enlisted Dec, 1863; discharged 1865.
Jonah Grovcr, 110th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862; discharged 1865.
A. D. Houghton, lOth Cav. Enlisted Oct., 1861: discharged 1865;

promoted to 2d Army Corps.
Sidney E. Henderson, 24th Inf. Enlisted May, 1861 j discharged

1863; wounded.
Dennis House, 2d H. Art. Enlisted Jan., 1864 ; discharged 1865.



A. H. House, 110th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862; died 186S.

E. Ingram, 147th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862; disoharged Oot., 18tS.

Joseph Jennings, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.

Isaac Jacobson, 3d L. Art. Enlisted Oct., '62 ; dis. '04, for disability.

Joseph Kern, llOth Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862; died July 6, 1864.

Joseph N. Kern, 184th Inf. Enlisted Sept.. 1864; discharged 1865.

John Kitts, UOth Inf. Enlisted April, 1862; discharged 1862.

Charles Lintz. Discharged and re-onlistcd.

John H. Miller, 184th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864; discharged 1865.

Charles Mahler, 147th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862; discharged 1864.

John Maddison, II 0th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862; discharged 1864.

Joseph McGowan. 152d Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862; discharged 1805;
promoted to Ist lieut.

A. Maddison, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; dischorgcd 1865.

Clark 11. Norton, 147th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862 ; discharged 1865 ;
promoted to Ist lieut.

John Nash, 189th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.

Ira D. Owens, 1st Light Art. Enlisted Oct., 1861 ; discharged 1865.

Charles M. Owens, 1st Light Art. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged
1865.

Benjamin O'Connor, 9th H. Art. Enlisted Dec, 1803; dis. 1865.

J. II. Pollock, 110th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862; discharged 1864.

L. D. Pierce, 24th Inf. Enl. April, 1861 ; dis. 1862, for disability.

R. C. Potter, 24th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862; killed at Antietara.

Mclzor Richards, captain, 21th Inf. Enlisted May, 1861 ; rc-cnlisled
24th Cav. ; promoted to lieut.-coloncl ; killed at Spottsylvania
Court-Housc

S. C. Richardson, lS4th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864; discharged 1865.

L. Rulison, 24th Inf. Enlisted April, 1861; discharged 1865; pro-
moted to commissary-sergeant. ♦

John Redington. Enlisted Dec, 1864; discharged 1864.

E. G. Reaso, 147th, Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862; discharged 1863; pro-

moted to 1st lieut.
C. W. Richards, 24th Cav. Enl. May, 1861 ; dis. 1865: drummer.
R. W. Slayton, 147th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1863; dis. 1864: captain.
A. Sparhawk, 149th Inf. Enlisted March, 1864 ; discharged 1865.
J. J. Spencer, 147th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862: dis. 1864; wagoner.
J. S. Soamnns, 147th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862; discharged 1865.
A. W. Sperling, 110th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862; discharged 1865;

re-enlisted and promoted.

F. H. Seranton, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; discharged 1865.
Wm. Sables, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; dis. 1865.
Thomas Smith. 184th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864; dis. 1865.

A. A. Smith, 175th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864 ; dis. 1865.

Wm. Sivcrs, 24th Cav. Enlisted Doc, 1863; died Sept. 15, 1863.

Isaac Simmons, 100th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1862 ; Ist serg., and pro. ;

died July 1, 1863.
Levi Tilton, 81st Inf. Enlisted Oct:, 1861 ; dis. 1864.
Wm. Van Alstine, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1864; dis. 1865.
A. R. Wells, 10th Heavy Art. Enlisted March, 1864; chaplain; died

Sept. 11, 1864.
Joseph Wesley, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1861; dis. 1865.
Horace Wadsworth, 14yth Inf. Enlisted March, 1864; dis. 1865.
J. L. Warner, 147th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1864 ; dis. 1865.
Charles Wightman, 24th Inf. Enlisted May, 1861; dis. 1863; 2d

Horace Hayes, 24th Cav. Enlisted Jan., 1864; dis. 1885.



NAMES OF CITIZENS

WHO ASSISTED AND CONTRIBUTED TOWARDS THE PUBLICATION OF THE HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY,
WITH PERSONAL STATISTICS.



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 114 of 120)