Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 31 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 31 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Pulaski Banner, begun in 1830, and published at Pulaski
by Nathan Randall until 1832, by A. A. Matthcwson & G.
G. Foster until 1833, and by James Geddes until 1834,
when it suspended.

In 1836 the old material of the Banner was purchased
by Daniel Ayer, who issued a weekly paper called The Pu-
laski Advocate until 1838. It was then sold to Mr. Dick-
inson, the owner of the /"orf Ontario Aurora, who removed
the latter paper from Port Ontario to Pulaski, and consoli-
dated it with the Advocate, under the name of The Advo-
cate and Aurora. Daniel Ayer again became the owner
in 1840. He discarded the second name, and published
the Advocate until 1842, when it was discontinued.

The Port Ontario Aurora was published at the intended-
to-be great city of Port Ontario, from 1837 into 1838, first
by Mr. Van Cleve and then by Mr. Dickinson, the latter of
whom removed it to Pulaski, and merged it in the Advocate,
as just stated.

In 1843 The Pulaski Cwiover was started in that village,
on the material of the defunct Advocate, by W. Winans.
In 1847 it was purchased by A. A. Matthcwson, who
changed its name to The Richland Courier. After pub-
lishing it until 1850, he sold out to Joseph C. Hatch, who
thought it necessary to make another change of name.
The appellation chosen this time was The Northern Demo-
crat. In 1854 it passed into the hands of S. C. Miller,
who gave it the title it still bears, — The Pulaski Democrat.
L. R. Muzzy, tlie present editor and proprietor, took control
of the Democrat in 1869, and has ever since conducted it.
Notwithstanding its name, it is independent in politics. It
is a thirty-two-column sheet, of good appearance, and has
a large circulation in the eastern part of the county.

The second paper in the county outside of Oswego was
the Fulton Chronicle, first published as a weekly in No-
vember, 1837, by Thomas Johnson. In 1840 it WiW sold
to Isaac S. Clark and Edwin Thompson, who gave it the
peculiar name of Ben Franklin. Unfortunately, however,
for that style of nomenclature, the Ben Franklin died the
very next year.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



The Weekly Dispatch was published in Fulton about a
year, beginning in 1840, by E. C. Hatten.

The Fulton Sun was begun in 1841 by N. B. Northrop.
The next year it was united with the Mirror.

The Fulton Mirror was established in August, 1842, by
Daniel Ayer. Immediately afterwards it was united with
the Sun, and the consolidated paper was published weekly
as The Fulton Sun and Mirror until 1844. It was then
sold to Spencer Munroe, and soon after discontinued.

The Fulton Patriot was started in 1846 by M. C.
Hough. He transferred it to John A. Place in 1848, and
he to T. S. Brigham, in 1854. In 1858 the Patriot was
purchased by Hon. R. K. Sandford, who bought out the
Oswego County Gazette the same year, and published the
consolidated paper as The Fulton Patriot and Gazette.
This is still the name borne at the head of its columns,
though it is commonly called The Fulton Patriot. In
1861 Mr. Sandford disposed of his paper to Rodney L.
Adams, who sold out in 1865 to Bennett Bros., who have
been the editors and proprietors up to the time of the death
of the lamented Mr. Charles T. Bennett, just previous to
the issuing of this history. Having been enlarged three
times in twelve years, the Patriot is now a thirty-two-
column weekly, and a sturdy supporter of Republican
principles.

The Phoenix Gazette, weekly, was started at Phoenix in
1851, by Jerome Duke. He sold out to George E. Wil-
liams, who in 1853 removed it to Fulton, and changed its
name to The Osioego County Gazette. Under that title it
was published five yeare, when it was merged in the Pa-
triot, as before stated.

The Fulton Times was established in June, 1868, by
George E. and J. M. Williams. It is one of the few
papers in the county which has not changed its name since
its foundation. It is now a neat independent weekly,
twenty-two by thirty-two inches ; George E. Williams
being editor and proprietor, and W. E. Williams local
editor.

The Phanix Democrat was established at that village
in 1852, by an association of citizens, who sold it in 1854
to James H. Field. In 1855 the name was changed to
The Phoenix Banner, and again, the same year, changed
to The American Banner and Oswego County Times.
This extensive appellation proved, as might have been ex-
pected, too heavy to carry, and ere the close of the year the
paper expired.

The next year it was revived by Mary Frances Tucker,
as Tlie American Banner and Literary Gem. It carried
this patriotic, martial, refined, and brilliant designation for
eight months, when it was sold to Levi Murrill, who re-
duced its name to The American Banner. The Banner
was finally furled in 1857.

Two months afterwards the material was used by Joshua
M. Williams for the publication of the Phwnix Reporter.
That paper soon passed into the hands of A. P. Hart, who
published it until 1860. He then sold it to M. M. Carter,
who enlarged the paper to its present size, twenty-four
columns, and conducted it until 1870. In 1805 he changed
the name to The P/iuenix Register. In 1870 the Register
was sold to J. M. Williams, who has conducted it till the



present time. It is independent in politics, and devoted to
the welfare of the community which has so long supported
it.

The first paper at Mexico was the Oswego County Demo-
crat, established in 1837 or 1838, by Thomas Messenger.
After a short time he changed the name to correspond with
his own, denominating his paper The Messenger. But the
times were unpropitious, and in 1839 the Messenger ceased
from its journeys.

The Mexico Independent was established at that village
March 19, 1861, by Humphries & Scarritt, and has re-
mained ever since (over sixteen years) under the same
name, at the same place, and in the hands of the same
firm, or one of its members ; a remarkable example of sta-
bility in the changeable world of Oswego Countyjournalism.
It is a twenty-eight-column weekly, and, as its name implies,
is independent in all respects. Henry Humphries is the
sole editor and proprietor.

One of the most interesting productions of journalistic
enterprise in the county, or even in the State, is The Deaf
Mates Journal, brought to Mexico in October, 1872. For
three years it was published in connection with the Inde-
pendent, several columns of that paper being occupied by
the editor of the Journal. In October, 1875, it was pub-
lished separately, as The Mexico Independent and Deaf
Mutes Journal, and in January, 1876, it reduced its title
to The Deaf Mutes Journal, which it still retains. It is
the recognized organ of the deaf and dumb in the State of
New York, and is the only paper published for their espe-
cial use in the State, except a small one established a short
time ago in New York city, to teach them to print. The
Deaf Mutes' Journal has a circulation of about six hun-
dred. The legislature has recognized it as the organ of the
class referred to, and has granted it an allowance of six
hundred and fifty dollars, on condition of its being sup-
plied to a certain number of the deaf mutes free of charge.
Henry C. Rider is the proprietor and the resident editor ;
F. L. Seliney, of Rome, is assistant editor, and Henry
Winter Lyle, of Philadelphia, the first ordained deaf-mute
minister in the country, is the foreign editor.

The publication of the Hannibal Reveille was begun on
the first day of October, 1866, by Dr. G. V. Emens. It
was then a monthly, only fifteen by twenty inches in size,
and was furnished to subscribers at the modest price of
fifty cents per year. In August, 1870, its size was in-
creased to twenty-two by thirty-two inches. On the 1st
of January, 1872, the Reveille was made a semi-monthly,
and a year later it was issued as a weekly ; the subscription
price being changed to one dollar per year. On the 3d of
July, 1873, it was purchased by Albert N. Bradt, who has
continued its publication up to the present time.

The Reveille has always received a generous support
from the people of Hannibal and the surrounding towns, as
is evidenced by its steady progress.

The newspaper-taking capacity of Hannibal was not con-
sidered to be exhausted by the Reveille, and on the 20th of
December, 1876, Messrs. Charles H. Parsons and Clarence
B. Brower established the Hannibal Neivs, a weekly jour-
nal, twenty four by thirty-six inches. On the 1st of April,
Mr. Parsons' interest was transferred to N. B. Brower, and



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



the firm-name of the publishei-s became N. B. & C. B.
Browor, who are still the editors and proprietoi-s. It lias
attained a circulation of near five hundred, which must cer-
tainly' be considered a success in a small country village,
which already supported a similar enterprise.

Ptissiny; from the western to the ciistcrn extremity of the
county, we find the Smidj/ Ciec/c News springing into ex-
istence in the growing village of Sandy Creek, in the month
of ApriJ, 1S71. Its founders were Goodenough & Soulc.
The firm soon became II. Soule & Son, who edited and
published the paper until April 1 of the present j-ear. It
was then purchased by Munger & Washburn, who took
possession on the 1st of May, 1877, and have since been
the editoi-s and publishers. The News is an independent
weekly, of twenty-eight columns, and the rapid growth of
the village iu which it is published indicates a prosperous
future for the journal in question.

In 1873, Mr. A. F. Goodenough began the publication
of the Lakeside Neios at the village of Cleveland, in the
town of Constantia. In 1874 he was succeeded by Mr.
Charles R. King, who changed the name of the journal to
The Lakeside Press. It is still published by ]Mr. King
under that title, being a vigorous, independent weekly, of
twenty-eight columns, which indicates by it-s name its
position on the shore of the beautiful Oneida lake.

On the 14th of May, 1874, the first nunibei' of another
Oswego County newspaper appeared ; in fact, it would seem
as if the " hard times" had had the effect of stimulating,
instead of depressing, journalistic enterprise in this locality.
The new candidate for public favor was called Tlie Parish
Mirror^ and was established at the village of Parishville,
town of Parish, by Mr. John W. Northrop, who is still its
editor and proprietor. The Mirror is a lively young
weekly, of twenty-eight columns, and, like most of the
other village papers of Oswego County, is independent in
politics and religion.

The very latest journalistic adventure in our county is
the Central Square News, which was established at the
pleasant little village of Central Square, in the town of
Hastings, in January, 1877. Willis G. Bohannan was the
founder, and is the editor and proprietor, with John W.
Hallock as associate editor. The News contains twenty-
four columns, and, in its own language, is " an independent,
miscellaneous family journal."

Our review of the press of Oswego County has neces-
sarily been very brief, presenting only an outline history of
each journal, but we have taken considerable pains to make
it accurate as far as it goes, and we trust it will be found
convenient and reliable for the purpose of reference. The
most noticeable point to be observed in it is the large num-
ber of village journals which have sprung up, mostly since
the war. Of these journals there are no less than eleven.
It is doubtful if another county in the State of the same
population has so many, especially one in which the jour-
nalistic field is largely occupied by two widely-circulated
city dailies.



CHAPTER XXXII.

COUNTY BUILDINGS.

Tlic ol.l C.mrt-Houscs— Enlargement of that at Pulaski— Building of
a ucw one at Oswego— The Clerk's Office and the Juil— The old
i'.por-Ilouse— The new Insane Asylum— Tlio new l'i)or-lIouse— Its
InuiiUes- Interior of the .\8ylum— The Soldier's Fiito.

As has been st;ited, the first court-houses at Oswego and
Pulaski were erected ab



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 31 of 120)