Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 42 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 42 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


CHRIST CHURCH (EPISCOPAL).
This parish was organized on the 26th day of February,
1822, in a school-house on the west side of the Oswego
river, in what was then the little village of Oswego.

The Rev. Amos Pardee, a missionary of the church,
presided at the meeting, which resulted in the choice of the
following persons as wardens and vestrymen : James Bill
and William Dolloway, wardens; John Moore, Jr., Theo-
philus S. Morgan, Thaddeus Clark, Thomas Collins, Eleazer
Perry, Nathaniel Farnham, Robert Cooley, M. P. Hatch,
vestrymen.

Occasional services were held in the school-house in which
the church was organized, in connection with services at
other missionary stations in the neighborhood. At the
expiration of the first year Mr. Pardee was transferred to
another field of labor. He was not succeeded by any
regular missionary until 1826. Occasional services were,
however, maintained during the interval by lay reading.
Mr. Bill, the senior warden, was appointed a lay reader by
Bishop Hobart. In November, 1826, Rev. John McCarty
was appointed missionary for this county and parts of On-
ondaga. He reports that for three years the services of the
church had been entirely suspended. There were, in 1826,
eleven communicants of the church, whose names are as fol-
lows : James Cochran and Catharine V. R. his wife, Robert
Cooley and Electa his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Banner, Mrs.
McHugh, Mrs. Mary Ingrain, Mrs. Charlotte M. Eagle,
Mr. Robert Dwyer and his wife, and Mrs. White.

The corner-stone of a new stone church, called Christ
church, of Oswego, was laid by Rev. Mr. McCarty on the
9th day of May, 1828, with appropriate religious services;
the Rev. Dr. Rudd, of Auburn, being present and assist-
ing. It continued to be a missionary parish until the year
1835.

The debt of three thousand dollars contracted for the
building of the church was paid by the aid of a gift froni
Trinity church, in the city of New York, of one thousand
dollars. From this date the church has been self-support-
ing. The church building was consecrated to its holy pur-
poses on the 25th day of January, 1829, having been
finished within the short space of nine months from the
laying of the corner-stone. Its dimensions were seventy
by fifty-two feet. Its capacity was about four hundred
persons. The number of communicants at that time was
ninety-one. The number of communicants in the parish
when Mr. McCarty left it, in 1845, was the same as it had
been ten years before. Rev. John S. Davenport became
the rector of the parish in August, 1845, upon the rcsig-



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NK\V YORK.



IGl



nation of Rev. Jolin JlcCaity. During tlie yeur 1850 tlic
parish of the Evangelists was foinied fmni this parish, and
during the next two years the erection of a stone churi-h
edifice was begun upon the east side, which was upi nod fur
services in December, 1852.

Upon the resignation of Mr. Davenport in 1852, the
Rev. Anthony Schuyler was called to the rectorship. It
was decided in 1853 to erect a new church. In August,
1854, the ground was broken, and the foundation of the
new edifice was laid. The corner-stone was laid with ap-
propriate ceremonies upon the 12th day of October, 1854,
by the Rev. W. B. Ashley, rector of St. Paul's church,
Syracuse. The church was opened for divine services upon
tlie 1st day of January, 1857. The number of communi-
cants at that time was one hundred and thirty-two. The
cost of the church building was thirteen thousand dollars.
In 1857 the old church building, which had for several
years been used for a school-house, was sold for two thou-
sand dollars to the Methodist society. lu 1858 a wooden
chapel was built by the society for a school and lecture-
room. This building was built by funds which were raised
by contribution.

The old church building, after having been used for three
years by the Methodi.sts, was, upon the disorganization of
that society, re-transferred to the Christ church. It was lefl
unoccupied, and fell considerably out of repair, and was
finally destroyed by fire upon the 7th day of January, 1862.
The church received the benefit of its insurance to the
amount of fifteen hundred dollars ; a like sum was raised
by subscription, and the amount was applied to pay off the
debt of the cliurch. The debt of the church was thereby
reduced to about seven thousand dollars. The Rev. An-
thony Schuyler resigned the reetorehip of the parish in
Ocober, 1862. In March, 1863, the Rev. Amos B. Bush,
D.D., entered upon the duties of rector. In 1865 an effort
was made to relieve the parish from its mortgage debt by
voluntary contribution, and upon the 29th day of April the
sum of six thousand dollars was raised for that purpose.
In April, 1865, the Rev. Amos B. Beach was instituted by
Bishop Cox into the rectorship of the parish.

THE FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.

As early as 1812 occasional Methodist services were held
in private houses in Oswego. In 1816 a cla.ss of three
members was organized with Mrs. Catherine Hawley as
leader, and Oswego was included in Sandy Creek circuit,
Oneida district, with George Gary, Luther Bishop, and
Enoch Barnes as preachers, and Charles Giles as presiding
elder. Services were for the most part held at Mrs. Haw-
ley's house, occasionally in private rooms in other parts of
the village, until a room or hall near what is now the corner
of Third and Schuyler streets was fitted up and used in
common by several denominations. James Hazcn with
Amos Perry, C. Lambert with T. Dixon, succeeded the first
preachers. In 1819 Oswego circuit was formed, with Na-
thaniel Reeder as preacher, followed by C. Lambert, J. P.
Aylesworth, Orin Foot, Truman Dixon, Alexander Irvine,
J. B. Roach, George W. Densmore, and W. W. Ninde, in
the order named.

lu 1827, under the pastorate of J. 15. Roach, the first



Methodi.st Epi.scopal cliurch of Oswego was legally incor-
porated, with Webster S. Steele, David C. Knajip, Asaliel
Hawley, Robert Dwyer, and William Matchett as trustees.
In 1829 Oswego was made a station, and John Sayer ap-
pointed preacher. During this year the society built a
chapel on the corner of what is now AVest Fifth and Cayuga
streets, on ground now included in the West Oswego park.
Then S. Bibbins, E. Wheeler, N. Salisbury, A. D. Peck,
W. W. Ninde, B. Phillips, John Soveys, C. L. Duiniing,
I. L. Hunt, diaries Giles, J. Alley, and H. E. Chapin
served this church as pastors in the order named. There
was but one society and but one place of worship until
1848, when the society was divided by common consent
according to location (the Oswego river being the dividing
line), and the East Methodist Episcopal church was organ-
ized and incorporated, and G. G. Ilapgood was appointed
to the charge of the First church. In 1849 the
chapel, which was owned in common by the two societies,
was burned, and during the year following, under the pas-
torate of Almon Chapin, the First Methodist Epi-seopal
society erected their present house of worship on the corner
of West Fourth and Oneida streets; since which C. L.
Dunning, L. D. White, N. Salisbury, 0. M. Legate, 11.
Reynolds, M. D. Gillette, C. L. Dunning, N. G. Axtell,
Wesley Mason, J. B. Foote, James P]rwin, J. Fletcher
Clymer, E. C. Curtis, Frank J. Jewell, E. Horr, Jr., and
W. F. Hemingway have served as pastors.

In 1866, during the pastorate of James Erwin, Wesley
chapel, on the corner of Fifth and Tolman streets, was
built, and has since been occupied by the First jMethodist
Episcopal church as a mission chapel, maintaining a Sab-
bath-school, regular social worship, and occasional preaching
services.

The church is at present served by Rev. W. F. Jlark-
ham as pastor. The board of trustees are James Biokford,
Mannister Worts, Chester Penfield, George Goble, Hiram
Klock, Argalus J. Hopkins, Charles AV. Farnhani, AVilliam
G. Call, and James McCarthy. The present membership
of the church is two hundred and fifty. Her Sabbath-
schools have about four hundred scholars, and are superin-
tended by IMannister AVorta.

To no one penson does this church and Methodism in
Oswego owe more than to Mrs. Catharine Hawley, who by
her energy and zeal procured the organization of a society,
and watched over it with a mother's care and devotion,
until called to the church triumphant in the summer of
1872. Her name is fragrant with precious memories.

THE FIRST B.iPTIST CHURCH.

This church was organized March 13, 1828, with eleven
members. These were Amos G. Currey, Elijah S. Stock-
well, AVilliam Burt, Mrs. William Burt, AValter Read, Mre.
AA^ilter Read, Mrs. AVilliam L. Beebe, George Cyrenius,
Mrs. George Cyrenius, Samuel B. Morrow, Miss Lydia
Morrow.

Rev. John C. Harrison was called soon tluivaftcr, and
became the first pastor. Meetings were statedly lield in
the public school-house on the west side of the river, and
here, on the 17th day of Juno, the formal organization of
the society was perfected by the clecliuu of the following



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YOEK.



board of trustees, under tlie corporate name of " The First
Baptist Society of the Village of Oswego": George W.
Burt, William L. Beebe, Nathaniel Vilas, Jr., Oziel Davis,
Joseph Turner, Horatio N. Goodell.

Near the close of the year 1828 the place of meeting was
transferred to the court-house in East Oswego. In May,
1831, the president of the village board of trustees was
authorized by the board, in pursuance of a general plan
previously adopted, to execute to the trustees of the First
Baptist church a lease, for the term of nine hundred and
ninety-nine years, of the west half of block 102, being the
public square in East Oswego, as a site for a house of
worship. The church immediately commenced the work.
The house was located on the southwest corner of the
block fronting the square, was forty-four by sixty feet, and
built of wood. The frame was erected and inclosed during
the season of 1831, and early in the following summer the
house was completed and dedicated. The entire cost was
something over five thousand dollars.

To the new house the church at once removed, and have
continued to worship there until the present time. In
1846 the house was repaired and improved at a cost of
about eleven hundred dollars, and in 1865-06 it was raised,
a commodious basement finished, and the entire house
greatly improved, the cost being about four thousand
dollars.

In the year 1853 the West Baptist church was organ-
ized, and drew away a considerable number of the members.
The present membership of the First Baptist church num-
bers two hundred and seventy-five.

The following list comprises all the pastors wlio have
served the church since its organization. The dates oppo-
site each are believed to be mainly correct, though, on ac-
count of the loss and imperfection of records, this is not, in
some cases, absolutely certain :

John C. Harrison, 1828-30; Jason Lothrop, 1830-33;
John Waterman, 1834-35 ; E. Savage, 1835-37 ; William
Hutchinson, 1S37-42; Isaac Lawton, 1842-44; Isaac
Butterfield, 1846-53; W. W. Moore, 1853-55; David
McFarland, 1855-59 ; M. R. Forey, 1860-62 ; L. M. S.
Haynes, 1863-68; Lester Williams, Jr., 1869-72; Har-
vey E. Traver, 1873-77.

During the absence of the pastor, in the year 1865, the
pulpit was supplied for six months by Rev. M. B. Cum-
ibrt. At this date the church is without a settled pastor,
but has been supplied since April, 1877, by George B.
Stevens, of the senior class of the University of Rochester.

The Sunday-school was organized under the superin-
tendency of Rev. J. C. Harrison in 1828. For more than
twenty years the school has been under the care of its
present superintendent. Deacon John C. Bradt. The num-
ber of pupils enrolled during the year 1877 is one hundred
and sixty-six.

ST. Paul's catholic church.
The first steps towards the organization of the Catholic
congregation of St. Paul's church of Oswego were taken
about the year 1830. The late Mr. Peter Lapjiin, and
some sixteen others, the only Catholic residents at the time
in the place, finding that means enough could be raised



among themselves to defray the traveling expenses of a
clergyman, wrote to the Rev. Mr. Donahoe, who at the
time had charge of Auburn, Rome, and other villages of
central New York, and invited him to visit Oswego. In ac-
cordance with their request, he began visiting Oswego every
three months to hold divine services. The first service
was held in a private house on the west side of the river.

Shortly after this, a lot on the corner of East Mohawk
and Fifth streets (the one upon which St. Paul's church now
stands) was purchased from the late Hon. Gerrit Smith ;
and upon it was erected a small frame building, twenty
by twenty-four feet in size, and one story high, to sei-ve as
a church.

This for a number of years was sufficiently large to
accommodate the Catholics of Oswego. In time, however,
more room was required ; and an addition was made to the
building. Even thus enlarged, it became too small for the
increasing Catholic population, and the congregation, though
still comparatively few in number and poor in means, resolved
to erect a more commodious and befitting edifice.

The corner-stone of a substantial stone building, fifty-
five by one hundred feet, was laid about the year 1840, and
during the pastoral charge of the Rev. Mr. Rogers the
walls were erected and the roof put on. In 1844, during
the pastorate of the Rev. Mr. Kenney, the building was
completed. It served the congregation until 1871.

Between the years 1850 and 1868, under the supervision
of the Rev. Mr. Kelly, the large and commodious three-story
brick school-house, adjoining the church, was erected. In
1871 the old church was pulled down, and the present one
erected in its stead. This edifice, including the vestry in
the rear, is two hundred feet in length and seventy-six in
width, and will seat two thousand five hundred people.

From the congregation of St. Paul's have branched off
the four other flourishing Catholic congregations of the city.
Yet St. Paul's, numbering some two thousand communicants,
and sustaining a first-class parochial school, attended by
between six and seven hundred children, is in a very pros-
perous condition. The girls are taught by the Sisters of
St. Ann ; the boys are under the charge of the pastor and
five lay teachers.

The first pastor of St. Paul's was the Rev. Mr. O'Donahoe.
He was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Rogers, he by the Rev.
Mr. Kenney, and later, in 1850, by the Rev. Michael Kelly.
Mr. Kelly was the pastor, except during an intermission of
a few months, until October, 1869, when the present incum-
bent. Rev. Michael Barry, was appointed.

THE AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOrAL CHURCH

was organized in 1847, under the jurisdiction of the New
York annual conference, at which time the Rt. Rev. Wm.
P. Quinn was presiding bishop of the New York conference.
The church was organized with thirty-seven members. The
following are the names of those who have been appointed
pastors :

Revs. J. Henson, L. S. Lewis, Wm. H. Ross, L. S. Lewis,
A. J. Dudley, E. J. T. Sparrow, R. Cliff, E. T. Thompson,
Wm. M. Johnson, D. Dorrell, J. S. Leekins, C. Boly, J. W.
Cooper, W. N. Bowman, E. R. Davis, W. N. Bowman, J.
Frisby, A. J. Dudley, and A. S. Amos, the present incum-



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTr, NEW YORK.



bent. The jiroseiit board of trustees are J. II. Ponippaugh,
William Thomas, F. Causer. The present meuiborsliip of
the church is twenty-.seven.

EAST METHODIST EPISCOPAI, CHURCH.

The East Jlethodist Episcopal churcli, of Oswego, was
formed by the division of the original Methodist society.
It was organized May 25, 1848, the roll embracing one
hundred and sixty-one names. The first pastor was Rev.
Arza J. Phelps, and the first officers were as follows :

Local Preachers, Revs. Warren Allen and H. Colburn ;
Class-Leaders, Rus.sell Watson, Lyman Ferguson, J. H.
Dow, J. B. Edwards, Martin Gilbert, Chauncey Whitney;
Stewards, J. B. Edwards, Lyman Ferguson, C. B. Thomp-
son, William Curtiss, James Lyon, S. G. Abbott; Trustees,
J. B. Edwards, C. B. Thompson, M. F. Carpenter, James
Lyon, Lyman Ferguson, D. Davies, Thomas Mcintosh, Wm.
Curtiss, N. Williams.

The church edifice on East Fourth, near Bridge street,
was erected in 1849, and cost a little more than five
thoasand dollars.

It was dedicated in March, 1850, the sermon being
preached by Rev. Hiram Mattison, D.D.

While the church was iu process of erection the congre-
gation worshiped in the court-house.

The Sunday-school, which was organized the same year
as the church, has had the following succession of superin-
tendents : J. B. Edwards, John R. Geer, H. Skeel, C. B.
Thompson, Geo. Davies, Geo. Goodier, S. G. Abbott, M. F.
Carpenter, W. H. Essex, Geo. Goodier, C. Whitney, N. P.
Neal, L. D. White, John R. Geer, Morris Place, C. H. Tread-
well, Geo. Goodier.

The succession of pastors has been as follows: 1848^9,
Arza J. Phelps; 1850, Byron Alden ; 1851-52, Orlando
C. Cole; 1853, John C. Vandercook, A.M.; 1854, S. C.
Woodruff; 1855-56, L. D. Ferguson. A.M. ; 1857, A. J.
Phelps; 1858-59, Otis M. Legate; 1860-61, J. C. Van-
dercook, A.M.; 1862-63, L. D. AVhite; 1864-66, Lewis
Meredith; 1867-69, H. M. Danforth ; 1870-71, M. S.
Wells; 1872-74, Albert L. Smalley, A.M. ; 1875-76, James
C.Stewart, A.M.; 1877, M. Gaylord Bullock, A.M., Ph.D.

During the pastorate of Rev. M. S. Wells a parsonage
was purchased — No. 104 East Fourth street — at a cost of
three thousand dollars.

The church edifice was remodeled and improved in 1870-
Its present value is about seven thousand dollars, and it has
a seating capacity of five hundred.

The Sunday-school numbers two hundred and seventy-
seven scholars, teachers, and officers. The present mem-
bership of the church (September, 1877) is two hundred
and fifty-three.

The official roll is as follows: Presiding Elder (Oswego
district). Rev. A. L. York ; Pastor, Rev. Dr. M. G. Bullock ;
Local Elder, Rev. Morris Place; Sunday-school Superin-
tendent, Geo. Goodier; Assistant Sundaj'-school Superin-
tendent, S. M. Coon ; Class-Leaders, David B. Blair, Geo.
Bassett, John B. Edwards, Mrs. George Goodier ; Stewards,
Alex. Cropsey, William McChesney, S. M. Coon, Athelbert
Cropsey, Geo. G. Warren, A. K. Gillniorc, H. W. Wallace,
James P. Tattle, A. Bartlett ; Trustees, John B. Edwards,



M. F. Carpenter, T. II. Butler, M. J. Wallace, C. H. Wood-
ruff, N. Williams, J. J. Van Wagenen, Tlios. E. Faulkner.

ST. Mary's church.

St. Mary's church, Roman Catholic, worships in a frame
building, on the corner of West Sixth and Cayuga streets.
The church edifice is one hundred and ten by fifty-two feet,
with a handsome tower one hundred and thirty feet high,
bell and clock, side chapel, sacristy, commodious basement,
and a wide stoop in the front, leading to its three doors
through a flight of thirteen steps. It was commenced in
1848, completed in 1849, and dedicated in 1850, hy his
eminence Cardinal McCloskey, then bishop of Albany.
Its founder and first pastor was Rev. F. E. Foltier, a native
of France, sent here at the request of a number of French
and French-Canadian families. But these proved too few
and poor to erect a building, therefore Father Foltier so-
licited and obtained the aid of American and of Irish Cath-
olics, who, just then, were anxious to have a church in the
west side, of which they might also have the benefit. Ac-
cordingly, wlien the new church was opened to divine wor-
ship, more than half the pews were at once rented bv
English-speaking people; and when a school was started in
the basement, two English-speaking teachers, Misses Ilalli-
gan and Gilmore, were employed.

St. Mary's church, therefore, had, from its commence-
ment, a mixed congregation. In July, 1851, Rev. Father
Foltier, being somewhat discouraged, left his charge, and
soon became pastor of St. Vincent De Paul, in New Or-
leans. Rev. James Keveny, an Irish priest, succeeded
him, but he Icfl for St. Peter's, Troy, in 1852, and was
succeeded by Rev. F. Guerdet, a native of France. During
the administration of the latter, besides many other im-
provements, the Sisters of St. Joseph were introduced to
teach in the parochial school, and a fine house was pur-
chased for them, in Sixth .street, to which several additions
were aflerwards made. To make room for one of these
additions. Father Guerdet removed the parsonage, pre-
viously built by Father Foltier, from Sixth street to a lot
in the rear of the church, on Cayuga street. This is the
present parsonage, now the property of the congregation,
who paid three thousand dollars for it to Rev. F. Guerdet.

In 1867, Father Guerdet was promoted to St. John's
church, of Syracuse, and the Rev. Louis GriflTa, a native of
Italy, was appointed to his place in Oswego. His first care
was to complete another addition to the school-house com-
menced by his predecessor. This house is now a very fine
and commodious building, three stories high, serving for
sisters' convent and for orphan asylum, and having six
large clas.s-rooms, capable of accommodating four hundred
and fifly scholars. No orphans are now kept by the sisters,
for want of means.

The congregation of St. Mary's had now become exceed-
ingly large, owing both to the immigration of French-
Canadians and to the rapid growth of the Irish population.
The new church of St. John's was therefore erected in the
Fifth ward, through the exertions of Rev. F. Lowery, a
clever and zealous American priest, who thus took away
from St. Mary's about half of its English-speaking people.
But the French, who in 1867 had dwindled down to filly-



164



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



four names on the pew-book, had now swelled up to about
four hundred. The idea therefore arose of forming them
into a separate congregation. In 1870, Father Griffii ob-
tained the appointment of Rev. F. X. Pelletier, of Quebec,
to undertake this task. The understanding was that he
should temporarily hold special services for the French in
St. Mary's, and afterwards procure for them, with the help,
of course, of the rest, a separate church in another locality.
Difficulties, however, arose which caused a delay of
eighteen months in the execution of the projected separa-
tion. At last the trustees of St. INIary's accepted the terms
proposed by the trustees of the newly-formed French cor-
poration, and purchased for them Mead's hall, on the east
side, at a cost of seven thousand dollars, adding five hun-
dred dollars cash to help them fit it up as a church. The
French finally left St. Mary's church in December, 1871,
for what is now called St. Louis' church. The congrega-
tion of St. Mary's has since been composed exclusively of
English-speaking Roman Catholics, mostly Irish or of Irish
descent, and comprises about one hundred and fifty families.
Since that time many other improvements have been intro-
duced in the church edifice, among which are a fine new
organ of thirty -two stops, and a magnificent altar, brilliantly
illuminated and beautifully decorated with statuary.

CHURCH OF THE EVANGELISTS.

This church was organized July 29, 1850, by sixty-four
communicants of Christ church, who withdrew from that
body in consequence of dissatisfaction with the teacliings of
the rector. The first wardens were Joseph Grant and
William Dolloway ; the vestry was composed of William
Schuyler Malcom, James Brown, D. H. Marsh, Elias
Trowbridge, J. B. Colwell, Ira Adkin, P. H. Hard, and
Milton Harmon. James Brown was chosen clerk and
treasurer, and William Dolloway and James Brown dele-
gates to the diocesan convention, held August 1, 1851, at
which time the parish was taken into union with the con-
vention.

On the 29th of November, 1850, Rev. George W.
Home was called to the rectorship. During the pastorate
of Rev. Mr. Home a fund was started for the erection of a
suitable house of worship, and on the 1st of July, 1851,
the comer-stone of the proposed edifice was laid, an address
being delivered by H. W. Lee, D.D., the present bishop of
Iowa. During this year ill health caused the withdrawal
of the rector, and he subsequently went as a mis-sionary to
Africa, where he died. Rev. Mason Gallagher became
rector of the church January 1, 1852. About this time
Joseph Grant resigned his position as senior warden, and
0. J. Harmon was elected to fill the vacancy. The build-
ing was finally completed, and, through the efforts of the
ladies of the parish, was furnished with a fine organ. The
first service was held in the new structure December 5,
1852. William Dolloway, the senior warden, died in March,



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 42 of 120)