Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 43 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 43 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


18G0, and Henry Adriance was elected in his place.

In 1861 the rector. Rev. Mr. Gallagher, entered the
United States service as chaplain of the Twenty-fourth
Regiment New York Volunteers. During his absence the
pulpit was supplied by Rev. Joseph Kidder. At the ex-
piration of eight months Mr. Gallagher returned, and find-



ing the church still under a heavy debt, went to New York,
where he succeeded in securing contributions for the society
amounting to the sum of three thousand dollars, making
a total of four thousand three hundred dollars, which he
had obtained for the church from the cities of New York
and Brooklyn.

The society now made a herculean effort to free the
church from debt, and succeeded ; and, on the 18th of
July, 1865, it was duly consecrated by the Right Rev. A.
Cleveland Coxe, the bishop of westei-n New York. On the
17th of July, 1865, Daniel H. Marsh was chosen warden.
Rev. Mason Gallagher resigned February 6, 1866. The
following persons have ofiiciated as rectors of the church
from that time to the present, viz. : Rev. J. H. C. Boute,
from June 1, 1866, to June 10, 1870; Rev. E. H. Jewett,
from August 1, 1870, to April 30, 1873; Rev. C. Collard
Adams, from June 9, 1873, to November 1, 1874; and
the Rev. J. L. Burrows, the present pastor, since January
11, 1875.

During Mr. Jewett's administration, Benjamin Doolittle
was chosen warden, vice Harmon resigned. Mr. Marsh
died in August, 1876, and A. S. Norton was chosen warden
in his place.

The present officers of the church are as follows, viz. :
Wardens, Benjamin Doolittle and A. S. Norton; Vestrymen,
M. P. Neal, R. T. Morrow, H. A. Cozzens, H. R. Bond,
John Smith (2d), Ciiarles Doolittle, Thomas Moore, and
Max B. Richardson.

There is a flourishing mission, called St. John's, in con-
nection with this church, which was founded in 1867. It
is located on the corner of Tenth and Mitchell streets, and
services are held there every Sunday afternoon by either
the rector of the parent church or a lay reader. There
are twenty-five communicants and seventy-five members of
the chapel Sunday-school.

At the first meeting after the withdrawal from Christ
church a Sunday-school was organized, with eighteen
scholars, under the superintendency of Hon. 0. J. Harmon.
It rapidly increased in numbers, and at one time numbered
six hundred members. It is now in a highly prosperous con-
dition under the superintendency of R. T. Morrow. Sixty
members from this school and church entered the service of
the United States during the late Rebellion.

The parish is in a flourishing condition, and is annually
extending its range of usefulness. The last annual report
exhibits a membership of two hundred and fifty-two. The
church edifice is pleasantly located on the corner of East
Second and Oneida streets, and is a commodious and sub-
stantial structure.

THE WEST BAPTIST CHURCH.

The West Baptist church was organized in the old city
hall May 3, 1852, by forty-two Baptist believers (twenty
males and twenty-two females), all of whom had been dis-
missed for this purpose from the parent church on the east
side of the river. The following are their names : Rev.
Isaac Butterfield, Isaac Perry, Thomas King.sford, Henry
Kingsford, Benjamin Austin, Sobieski Burt, David Har-
mon, Jr., E. II. Mack, Denison Allen, Seldin Clark, Wil-
liam H. Gardner, E. A. Potter, Daniel Pond, Frank W.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUxNTY, NEW YORK.



Potter, AV. W. Mack, E. L. Mack, V. C. Douglass, Horace
Garlick, Charles A. Garlick, Sarah A. Butterfield, Nancy
Mason, Sally Perry, Elizabeth Kingsford, Ann Thompson,
Catherine Austin, Elizabeth Burt, Electa Mellcn, Emily
Harmon, Ann Eliza Harmon, A'elouia Harmon, Sylvia
Girstin, Emma E. Mack, Margrctte Claik, Almira E.
Tyler, Lucy House, Martha L. Gardner, M. A. Potter, J.
S. Ames, Mary C. Mack. Susan J. Mack.

Their first place of meeting was the supremo court room,
in the old city hall on Water street, their first pastor being
the Rev. Isaac Butterfield. Sub.sec|uent places of meeting
were the Doolittle hall and the " Old Tabernacle," on West
Second street, between Bridge and Oneida streets, until the
present edifice was completed on the corner of West Third
and Mohawk streets. David Harmon, E. H. Mack, and
Sobieski Burt became the first deacons, D. Allen the first
clerk, Thomas Kingsford the first treasurer.

In August, 1853, a council, representing several Baptist
churches in the county, convened in the old Presbyterian
church, and recognized this body as a regular Baptist
church. The pastors, from the time of organization to the
present, have been as follows: Isaac Butterfield, 1853-
55; S. W. Titus, 1855-57; A. G. Bowles, 1857-58; E.
W. Bliss, 1858-61. Then followed an interregnum of
eighteen months, during which the pulpit was supplied by
Rev. Messrs. Forey and Chapell. Subsequent pastors were
H. M. Richardson, 1862-C4; M. B. Comfort, 1864-G6;
D. C. Hughes, 1866-69; Isaac Butterfield, 1869-75;
Charles H. Watson, 1875, present incumbent.

The church edifice is probably the most substantial in
the city, and is complete in all of its appointments. It is
of brick, with limestone trimmings, Romanesque in style,
and in size sixty-two by one hundred and fourteen feet.
The tower is one hundred and twenty-seven feet in height.
It was dedicated with appropriate services April 18, 1867,
Rev. Drs. Thomas Armitage, of New York, V. R. Ilotch-
kiss, of Buff"alo, and A. S. Patton, of Utica, participating.
The cost of the edifice was seventy thousand dollars.

The Sabbath-school was organized in 1853, with a mem-
bership of one hundred and twenty-five, the first superin-
tendent being David Harmon. The present membership
is four hundred and fifty; present superintendent, W. II.
Kenyon. The Sunday-school library is one of the largest
in the country, containing three thou.^and six hundred and
seventy-seven volumes. The church owns and sustains a
flourishing mission-school, — " Hope chapel," West Bridge
street, — which was organized in 1867. The chapel was
erected in 1868. The present membership of the chapel
is two hundred, the superintendent being Prof C. W.
llichards. The value of the chapel property is eighteen
thousand dollars.

THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
On the 20lh day of February, 1857, a meeting of those
interested in forming a Congregational society was held in
the church formerly belonging to the Second Presbyterian
society, that body having been dissolved and the real estate
given to the new enterprise. At this meeting the following
persons were elected the first board of trustees, viz., D. A.
Braman, Charles North, C. P. Kellogg, E. A. Sheldon,



Franklin Everts, Solon Allen, John Slaats, and E. J.
Hamilton.

On the 20th of July, 1857, a public organization of a
Congregational church in union with the society took place
at Doolittle hall. Rev. M. K. Strieby, of Syracuse, was
elected moderator, and Rev. Henry Fowler, of Rochester,
was chosen 'scribe. On this occasion twentyrcight persons
connected themselves with the church. Within a month
after, twenty-eight additional persons were received into
membership, making a total of fifty-six.

The public services of laying the corner-stone of a new
church edifice for the society took place on the 2d day of
September, 1857. The ceremonies comprised reading of
Scriptures and prayer by Rev. A. J. Phelps, of Oswego,
and an appropriate address by Rev. H. 0. Ludlow, of
Poughkeepsie, who deposited in the corner-stone a tin box
containing the Holy Bible, Confession of Faith and Cove-
nant adopted by this church, the manual of the church,
and six daily newspapers.

In the spring of 1858 the society had so far progressed
in the erection of their new edifice, located on the corner of
East Fourth and Oneida streets, as to be able to hold their
meetings in the commodious lecture-room. Rev. Henry G.
Ludlow, of Poughkeepsie, accepted a call from the church
and society, and entered upon his pastoral labors in Sep-
tember of that year.

The church edifice being completed on the 13th of April,
1859, both dedicatory and installation services were held in
it. Rev. Henry G. Ludlow was installed pastor by an
ecclesiastical council, of which the Rev. Ray Palmer, D.D.,
of Albany, was moderator. The dedicatory services took
place in the evening, and were conducted by the pastor,
Rev. R. W. Condit, D.D., of Oswego, and the Rev. R. S.
Storrs, Jr., D.D., of Brooklyn, who preached the dedicatory
sermon.

The church building is of brick, sixty by ninety-six feet,
with one hundred and twenty-five pews, seating six hundred,
and has cost, with organ and furniture, thirty-five thousand
dollars.

In May, 1865, on account of failing health, Mr. Ludlow
resigned his pastorate. Rev. S. S. N. Greeley became acting
pastor in January, 1866. He jvas succeeded in 1874 by
Rev. William Smith, who, after supplying the pulpit for
one year, was installed as pastor September 22, 1875. The
congregation numbers about one hundred families. The
membership of the church is two hundred and seventy-
seven. The Sabbath-school connected with this church
numbers three hundred and thirty-six, with a library of
five hundred volumes. H. M. Harman was the first super-
intendent. He was succeeded in 1858 by Professor E. J.
Hamilton, who has held the ofiBce until the present time.

ST. Paul's German evangelical Lutheran ciurcu.

Under the labors of Revs. Stahlschmidt and Fischer, a
small band of German Lutherans was organized into a con-
gregation about the year 1857. Among the prominent
members of this organization who took a principal part in
gathering up the German element into a niission of the
general synod of the Lutheran church of America were



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Lawrence Kirschner, Louis Kiehm, Paul Scherman, John
Kline.

The first place of meeting was in the hall above Hart's
dry goods store.

About the year 1859 a church was built on the corner
of East Sixth and Lawrence streets. The first stationed
pastor was Rev. Jacob Post, who labored here eleven years,
and was followed by Rev. J. D. Severinghaus. He labored
here three years and eight months. Under his adminis-
tration a parsonage was built. He was succeeded by Rev.
F. A. Conradi, the present pastor, who has labored here
four years.

Professor Poucher, of the Noi'mal school, was the first
Sunday-school superintendent, and still holds that position.
The number of Sunday-school pupils is about a hundred
and fifty. The church property is valued at seven thousand
dollars.

THE CONGREGATION BERITH SHOLEM (hEBREW).

This congregation was organized January C, 1858, with
the following ofiicei-s: President, A. S. Garson ; Vice-Pre.si-
dent, M. Ryplnsky ; Treasurer, S. Goldberg ; Secretary,
M. L Garson. It has held regular services during a large
part of the time since its organization, its first rabbi being
the Rev. Mr. Weilaiid, and the last the Rev. Mr. Rehfelt.
The latter, however, left about a year since, and his place
has not yet been filled. It was legally incorporated May 5,
18G3.

The following are the present officers of the congrega-
tion: President, Garson Meyer; Vice-President, R.EIiken;
Secretary, Jacob David ; Treasurer, A. Freundlich.

ST. Peter's church.
The first German priest who worked here among his
countrymen was the Redemptorist Father Joseph Wissol,
on the occasion of a mis.sion in St. Mary's church in 1856.
The Franciscan fathers from Syracuse began to visit the
German Catholics in 1859, holding service for them in St.
Mary's church. On the 16th of September, 1860, the
St. Boniface society was organized for raising money
towards erecting a new church, the members obligating
themselves to pay a certain sum every three months for
two years. These first members were Keidon Altman,
Andrew Baltes, Andrew Baltes, Jr., Joseph Bakes, J. Adam
Benzing, John Braun, Math. Braunschweig, Lewis Brose-
mer, Edward Damm, Conrad Dehm, Leopold Dehm, Wen-
del Dehm, George Ebert, Peter Endres, John Englert,
Aloys Fahrenshon, Henry Fleischmann, John Forster, John
Hanselmann, Felix Hartmann, Willi. Heidinger, Peter
Heinsdorf, John Herberger, Mioii. Hiermer, Panir. Himp-
ler, Andrew Hirschbolz, Joseph Hirschbolz, Frani Hofman,
Joseph Hover, Michael Hut, Joseph Hamberger, Henry
Jaikel, John Kern, Conrad Koch, Frani Koch, George
Koch, Aloys Koenig, Franc. Likl, Bern. Leim, Joseph
Meyer, Xaver Moosbrugger, Frani Morschhaeuser, Peter
Neumann, Aloys PfeifFer, George Ridl, John Roesch, Joseph
Roesch, Joseph Rohrniiiller, J. Philip Schaefer, Conrad Schil-
ling, J. George Schilling, Adam Schickling, Hath. Schneider,
Chas. Speck, Anthony Streidl, George Wafter, Jo.'seph
Walter, Mich. Weidmann, Sebastian Weigolt, Wilh. Wei-
gelt, Fred. Wieding, Peter Ziegler, and John Ziuimer.



Among these And. Baltes, Lewis Brosemer, and Joseph
Hover took especial interest in the work above mentioned.

With the approbation of the Right Rev. John McCloskey,
bishop of Albany, the corner-stone of St. Peter's church
was laid by Rev. Father Leopold, O.M.C., in 1862, on the
corner lot of East Albany and Seventh streets, purchased
for nine hundred dollars from P. Lappin. The building,
a frame, is forty-three by seventy-four feet, with a steeple
seven by thirteen, John O'Hanlon being the builder. The
church was dedicated by the same father the 6th of De-
cember, 1863, the dedication being followed by a successful
mission conducted by the Fathers Anthony Gerber, O.M.C.,
and Bonaventura Corney, O.M.C.

The Franciscan fathers of Syracuse retained the charge
of the mission, Father Oderic Vogt being first pastor.

On the 14th of February, 186-1:, the stations of the
holy cross were erected. In the same year the new pipe-
organ was bought.

On the 10th of June, 1865, the house of Mr. Jos.
Bjltes, with lot, was bought for fourteen hundred dollars,
and greatly improved for a parsonage.

On the 16th of July the main altar, given by the Ger-
man Catholics of Syracuse, was erected. A small bell,
taken in 1863, by the permission of their commander, by a
German regiment of Syracuse, from a city hall in South
Carolina, and subsequently used in Syracuse, was also given
to the church.

In October Father Oderic was succeeded by Father
Lsopold Moczygemba, commissary-general of the Francis-
cans.

In April, 1866, a frame school-house, thirty-six feet by
fifty-one, was built for twenty-eight hundred and sixty-one
dollars, on the spacious lot between the church and the
parsonage. The 17th of September, it was dedicated to
the honor of St. Therese by the pastor, and given in charge
of three sisters of St. Francis, — Mother Mary Anne Kop,
Sister H. Agnes Spang, and Sister M. Hildegardis Knaus,
who resided in the school-house. September 23, the St.
Joseph's aid society was organized, and Mr. Peter Schill-
ing made first president ; George Koch, vice-president ; L.
Brosemer, treasurer ; Peter Endres, secretary.

In May, 1868, Father Leopold was called to Rome,
Italy, and several fathers from the convent of Syracuse
took charge of the parish until, in May, 1869, Father Oderic
became permanent pastor again.

In November, 1870, the charge of the mission, hitherto
so faithfully cared for, was given into the hands of the first
secular priest. Rev. Joseph Ottenhues. He removed to
Troy, New York, and was succeeded on the 25th of Feb-
ruary, 1871, by Rev. Chas. Zucker, who remained until
the 18th of October, 1874, when Rev. J. Herman Wibbe
was appointed pastor.

The Centennial year was celebrated by buying three new
bells, weighing thirty-five hundred and fifty-nine pounds,
which were solemnly blessed in the evening of May 9, by
the Right Rev. Bishop McNierney, administrator of the
diocese of Albany, assisted by the clergy of the city and
others. Great improvements were also made in the church
by placing statuary, etc., and the grounds around were
greatly improved.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY. NEW YORK.



107



The congregation at the present time numbers about one
liundrcd and twenty families; the school is in charge of
five sisters, teaching nearly one hundred and fifty children.
There are four societies connected with the church. The
valuation of the real estjite is twelve thousand five hundred
dollars.
C'UURCU OF ST. JOUN THE EVANCiELIST (C.\TIIOLIC).

In 1869, the Right Rev. J. J. Conroy, bishop of Albany,
appointed the Rev. J. P. Lowery pastor of a new congrega-
tion to be formed in the southwest part of the city of Oswego,
lie immediately set about the work intrusted to his charge.
He purchased a site from T. Carrington, and procured the
erection of a frame building, which answered for a temporary
place of worship.

A brick church was begun in the spring of 1870, the
corner-stone being laid by the Rev. pastor on the 10th of
July of the same year. The new church was ready for
use on the 12th of November, 1871. The Right Rev. J.
J. Conroy dedicated the new church on the 14th day of
July, 1872, in the presence of an immense congregation
and of reverend clergymen.

The Rev. Daniel O'Connell, the present pastor, received
his appointment on the 25th of April, 1875, from the
Right Rev. F. McNeirney, coadjutor-bishop and adminis-
trator of the diocese of Albany. The principal contribu-
tors towards the erection of the new church were Delos
De Wolf, Thomas S. Mott, Bart. Lynch, Michael Cum-
mings, Aaron Colnon, James Hennessey.

The Rev. Father Lowery introduced the Sisters of St.
Joseph, of Carondelet, who taught a school for boys and
girls for a period of three years, beginning in the year
1872 ; but they were obliged to leave in consequence of the
destruction of the school-house by fire.

The number of Sunday-school children now in attendance
is about five hundred, under the immediate supervision of
the pastor. The present membership of the church is
about twenty-five hundred, and the property cost about
sixty thousand dollars.

ST. LOCIS' CHURCH (FRENCH CATHOLIC).
Previous to the formation of this church the French and
Canadians of the city of Oswego were in the habit of hold-
ing services in St. Mary's church, upon the west side of the
river. In December, 1870, the church was organized. The
membership at that time included about five hundred fam-
ilies. The pastor in charge was the Rev. Father John F.
X. Pelletier. The church edifice which was erected during
the year, upon the corner of East Fourth and Bridge streets,
is a frame building ninety-nine by forty-five feet, and cost
fifteen thousand dollars. About the same time the society
erected a brick building for a convent or sisters' house.
The .size of this structure is twenty-five by sixty feet, three
stories in height, and cost the sum of ten thousand dollars.
The Rev. Father Pelletier continued in charge of the church
until September, 1876, when he was succeeded by the Rev.
Father Arthur Sicard De Carufel, who is the present pastor.

OKACE CHURCH (PRESBYTERIAN).

This church was organized on the 31st day of May, 1872,
by sixty-five ex-members of the First Presbyterian church



of Oswego, dismissed for that jjurpose, and one ex-member
of the First Presbyterian church of Trenton, New Jersey,
Rev. E. G. Thurber being the moderator of the meeting.

The following elders were then elected: William F. Allen,
George Seeley, Gilbert Mollison, Warren D. Smith, John
C. Churchill, Frederick B. Lathrop.

On the morning of the -same day a Sunday-school had
been organized with about one hundred tcholars and twenty-
three teachers. Gilbert Mollison, who had been the earnest
and fiiithful superintendent of the mission school for five
years, was elected superintendent of the church school, an
ofiice which he still continues to fill.

Until March 9, 1873, services were held in Grace mis-
sion ; when a chapel begun the previous July was completed
and opened for public worship. The corner-stone of a new
church edifice, located on the corner of West Oneida and
Fifth streets, was laid May 2, 1873. Up to the close of
the first year, April 1, 1873, there was contributed by the
congregation sixteen thousand and forty dollars. For a
year and nine months the pulpit was supplied by Rev. J.
B. Condit, D.D., of Auburn.

Rev. Henry H. Stebbins was installed as pastor January
8, 1874, on the unanimous call of the congregation.

The church edifice was completed in 1875. It is one of
the finest ecclesiastical structures in the State, and cost
sixty-five thousand dollars. The audience-room is seventy-
six by eighty-two feet, and capable of seating eight hundred
persons. The pews are absolutely free. On its completion
the church authorities gave the following public notice :

•'This church has been erected with the money and the
enterprise, mostly, of those who constitute this Presbyterian
organization ; but now that it is finished, its doors are to be
opened for public Christian worship. It is meant to be a
place where, ignoring sectarian differences and all social
distinctions, the men and women of this city, not already
provided, may worship the one God and He;ivenly Father
of us all. No pereon need feel himself or herself excluded
because of inability to pay 'pew rent.' The sittings are
not to bo rented, they are not to be sold, nor is there to be
any bidding for choice. Any one can have all the room he
wishes by asking for it, and that, regardless of whether he
pays much, or little, or anything, towards the support of the
church."

The seats are distributed by lot to all who ask for them,
and the church is supported by voluntary contributions. It
is in a very flourishing condition, the present membership
being two hundred and twenty. The Sunday-school con-
tains two hundred and sixty-four members, and its library
contains twenty-one hundred volumes. The session is com-
posed of the pastor and the elders. It is a representative
body, and as such considers itself bound by the will of its
constituents.

The following are the present ofiicers :
Pastor, Henry H. Stebbins; Elders, W. F. Allen, W.
D. Smith, Gilbert Mollison, Cyrus Whitney, George Seeley,
John C. Churchill, Harmon D. Hamilton ; Trustees, W.
H. Herrick, George B. Powell, O. H. Hastings, M. M.
Wheeler, 0. F. Gaylord, J. W. Pitkin, S. B. Johnson, J.
Owen, John Ould, 0. H. Hastings, president; F. B. Lath-
rop, treasurer; J. Owen, clerk.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



SECRET SOCIETIES.

Oswego Lodge, No. 127, F. & A. M. — A cliarter was
granted to this lodge September 21, 1819. It was re-
chartered July 20, 1847, when a dispensation was granted
by the grand lodge of the State of New York, with
JIathew McNair as Master ; P. F. Parsons, Senior Warden ;
and Philo Stephens, Junior Warden. The charter-members
were the above, with Edwin W. Clark, Elias Trowbridge,
Samuel Freeman, Stephen Bentley, Orlo Steele, Moses P.
Hatch, James Bickford, and Sanford C. Peck. February
7, 1848, the lodge received its charter, with P. F. Parsons,
M. ; Philo Stephens, S. W. ; Pbilo W. Carpenter, J. W. ;
James Bickford, T. ; and Edwin W. Clark, Sec.

The present officers are as follows : Herbert A. Young,
W. M. ; Ranson A. Soule, S. W. ; Athelbert Cropsey, J. W. ;
Haynes L. Hart, Treas. ; Simon B. Wilcox, Sec. ; Alf A.
Wellington, S, D. ; James E. Webb, J. D. ; George W.
Vickery, Tyler.

Frontier City Lodge, No. 422. — A dispensation was
granted by Hon. John L. Lewis (now the highest Mason
in rank and degree on the we.jtern continent), Grand Mas-
ter of the State of New York, on the 8th day of January,
1857. The following-named persons were the charter-
members : F. P. Kilburn, Chas. Parker, ' George Goble,
Edmund Nichols, Thos. Ferguson, G. F. Dixon, John
McNair, W. T. Preston, George R. Rogers, Malcolm Bron-
son, M. B. Dorr, James Clemond, J. M. O'Leary, George
Rice, C. K. Stone, P. B. Moouey, J. N. Collins, Harmon
D. Hull.

The present officers are the following: W. Hancock, M. ;
Charles F. Steward, S. W. ; Frank Haven, J. W. ; C. 11.
Butler, T. ; E. Nichols, S. ; C. H. Powers, S. D. ; A. H.
Pratt, J. D.; G. R. Skinner, Tyler.

JioNiAN Lodge, No. 679, F. & A. M., was chartered
June 25, 1868, with the following members : Samuel B.
Burchard, M. ; David P. Fairchild, S. W. ; Orlando W.
Bates, J. W. ; S. M. Allen, R. C. Day, D. L. Couch, J. E.
Philips, A. A. Bush, A. B. Randell. The present officers
are as follows : J. K. Stockwell, M. ; C. H. Treadwell, S.W. ;
C. Youmans, J. W. ; D. L. Couch, Treas. ; J. G. Allen,
Sec. ; C. D. Burch, S. D. ; J. M. Burr, J. D. ; S. D. Sehau-
ber, Org. ; T. Miller and John Seeber, M. of C. ; H. E.
Balcom, Phy. ; Geo. Vickery, Tyler.

Masonic board of relief is officered as follows : George
Goble, Pres. ; George Warren, First V. P. ; John Smith,



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 43 of 120)