Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 44 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 44 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Second V. P. ; E. P. Burt, Treas. ; C. H. Treadwell, Sec. ;
George Davis, C. H. Powers, and John Smith, Committee
on Character.

Lake Ontario Chapter, R. A. M., was organized
April 26, 1856, as Crocker chapter. No. 165. The char-
ter-members were as follows, viz. : J. McNair, C. W. Clark,
F. P. Kilbourn, C. K. Stone, M. B. Dow, P. L. Cone, G.
F. Dixon, A. Clark, and Geo. B. Rogers.

The name was changed to Lake Ontario chapter. No. 165,
R. A. M., March 7, 1864. The present officers are as fol-
lows, viz. : J. Smith, M. E. H. P. ; George Goble, E. K. ;
H. L. Hart, E. S. ; D. L. Couch, Treas. ; J. K. Stockwell,
Sec. ; E. A. Waterliouse, Cap. of H. ; C. A. Youmans,
P. S. ; A. Cropsay, R. A. C. ; H. A. Young, M. Third V. ;
Mr. Treadwell, M. Second V. ; J. W. Vickery, Tyler.



The Masonic Life Association of Oswego was in-
corporated April 22, 1865, for the purpose of aiding and
assisting the widows and orphans of worthy Masons. The
following were the charter-members : William A. McCarthy,
Haynes L. Hart, Geo. Davis, John Smith, James K. Stock-
well, John P. Phelps, John G. Allen, Chas. H. Treadwell,
Reese Thomas, Alverson Curtiss, Walter Read, Cheney H.
Powers, Eugene Munson, Ambrose Paine, Bjnjamin Coy.

The following are the present officers : George Davis,
President ; Cheney H. Powers, Vice-President ; Haynes
L. Hart, Treasurer; James K. Stockwell, M.D., Secretary
Directors: Haynes L. Hart, Charles H. Treadwell, Ben
jamin Coy, S. B. Wilcox, J. K. Stockwell, W. A. McCarthy
Alverson Curtiss, Walter Read, John Smith, John Comer,
C. H. Butler, A. J. Goit, George Vickery, H. A. Young.
J. G. Allen.

The charter of Lake Ontario Commandery, No. 32,
of Knights Templar, was granted September 16, 1862,
with the following charter-members : W. I. Preston, 0. W.
Bates, John McNair, W. Morgan, J. J. Clark, G. P.
Dixon, C. H. H. Castle, J. Dunn, Jr., H. C. Sharpe, W. G.
G. Robinson.

The officers for 1877 are as follows: E. A. Waterhouse,
Eminent Commander ; George W. Goble, Generalissimo ;
Haynes L. Hart, Captain-General ; W. G. Chaffee, Prelate ;
John Smith, Senior Warden ; C. Yeomans, Junior Warden ;
George Goble, Treasurer ; J. B. Farwell, Recorder ; John
Ratigan, Standard-Bearer ; D. C. Hall, Sword-Bearer ; A.
Cropsey, Warden; J. P. Phelps, First Guard; G. H.
Reade, Second Guard; J. G. Allen, Third Guard; Wm.
Hancock, Captain of the Guard.

Number of members, eighty-seven.

Oswegatchie Lodge, No. 156, I. 0. of 0. F., was
organized May 15, 1845. The following were the first
officers : Henry L. Davis, N. G. ; Malcomb Bronson, V. G. ;
Chauncey Wright, Sec. ; Adam Van Hovenburgh, Treas.

The following are the present officers : George E. Par-
sons, N. G. ; J. H. Keihn, V. G. ; Daniel E. Taylor, Sec. ;
J. H. Tibbits, Per. Sec. ; C. C. Williams, Treas.

KoNOSHiONi Encampment, No. 48, was instituted May
21, 1847. The following are the present officers: Benj. J.
Le Febvre, C. P. ; H. Timerson, S. W. ; C. Green, H. P. ;
E. H. Gardner, F. S. ; J. McCarty, S. ; H. H. Herron,
Treas.

THE BAR.

We cannot, of course, give biographies of all the members
of the bar who have practiced in Oswego. We propose,
however, to mention some of the earlier lawyers, to give a
general idea of the profession of the city, and to close with
the names of the present members.

John Grant, Jr., was probably the first man who prac-
ticed law in the village or county of Oswego. He located
in the new county-seat in the spring of 1816, and resided
there until his death, about thirty-five years later. A fine-
looking, gentlemanly man, of excellent abilities and liberal
education, he was popular with all classes, and was appointed
to several official positions. He was at the same time post-
niilater and collector of the port, and was for several years
— between 1820 and 1830^first judge of the common
pleas. After retiring from the bench did not resume prac-




f?£s/DENCf or R.GORDON, 32 West 3'i^- Srf^EET, OSWEGO^ NY.




Residchce of O.M.BOND, [astSlvenjh St.. Oswe&oJ.Y,



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NKW YOltK.



tiee, but engaged in marcantile pursuits, with vaning suc-
cess. He died about 1850.

Theodore Popple came the same spring as Mr. Grant.
Little is known of him save that he practiced here success-
fully for several years, and then left the country.

George Fisher was admitted to the bar of the common pleas
at the first court held in this county, in the autumn of 181(5.
He w;is a man of marked ability, and in 1S2S he received
the certificate of the canvassere that he was elected to Con-
gress, but on a contest the seat was awarded to Silas Wright,
Jr., of St. Lawrence county. When William F. Allen
came to Oswego, in 1829, he entered into partnership with
Mr. Fisher, the firm-name being Fisher & Allen. Mr.
Fisher practiced here nearly twenty years.

James F. Wight was another of the earliest Oswego
law-students, and was admitted to practice in the common
pleas in the winter of 1816-17. He was a dashing, rollick-
ing young fellow, of considerable ability, but did not remain
ill Oswego to exceed ten years. For several years he held
the office of brigade inspector of the militia. One year
that important event, " general training," was to be held at
I'ulaski, but, as it approached, the militiamen thought
there would certainly be no inspection, for the gallant liKspec-
tor had managed to get into debt, and, according to the law
in those days, Wiis confined to the " limits" of Oswego. But
Wight was determined not to neglect his military duties,
nor lose his share in the display. On Sunday he could not
be arrested; so on the Sabbath before the training he went
to Pulaski and put himself within the limits which sur-
rounded the jail at that place. There he remained during
the week, and at the proper time the regiment was paraded
within the limits aud duly inspected by the zealous official.
The next Sunday he returned to Oswego, and again placed
himself within the limits there. This was excellent military
strategy, but perhaps did not help much in gaining clients.

Samuel B. Beach came to Oswego in 1817, and practiced
with marked .success until about 1830. Beach, Popple, and
Fisher were the principal practicing lawyers previous to that
date.

Rudolph Bunner was a lawyer by profession, but did not
practice. He was over sixty years old when he came here.
He owned large tracts of land in the eastern part of the
county ; was wealthy and generous, a good liver, and an
eloquent political speaker. Mr. Bunner was elected to
Congress one term (1827-29), and was considered a man
of decided ability. He died about 1833, aged near seventy.
Edwin W. Clarke, who had been brought up from early
boyhood near Oswego, was admitted to the bar in 1829,
and was a careful and conscientious practitioner throughout
the greater part of his subsequent life. A biography of hiin
is given elsewhere.

In 1829, also, a medium-sized, fine-looking, wide-awake
young man, barely twenty-one years of age, who had just
been admitted to the bar, came to Oswego, and soon went
into partnership with Hon. Geo. Fisher. This was William
F. Allen, then ju-st entering on the long and honorable
career which is elsewhere depicted.

From a State register, published in 1831, we learn that
the lawyers then here were as follows, the names being
given in the two towns to which the village then belonged :



Oswego, William F. Allen, David P. Brewster, Rudolph
Bunner, Edwin W. Clarke, George Fislier, J. S. Glover,
John Grant, Jr., Joseph Hunt, Daniel H. Marsh, Donald
McPherson, Joel Turrill, George A. Stansbury ; Scriba,
Samuel B. Beach, James Brown, A. P. Grant, Peter Sken
Smith, George H. MeWhortcr.

A. P. Grant was a new-comer, admitted in 1827 ; after-
wards noted as an eminent lawyer, and a shrewd, .sagacious
man of business, but whose career is sufficiently sketched
in the biography elsewhere published.

David P. Brewster, admitted in 1826, was another of
the new men who came to Oswego during that period of
rapid growth which succeeded the building of the canal.
He resided in the vicinity till his death, a short time ago,
though after he had served two terms in Congress (1833-
37) he did not resume practice, but lived upon his farm.
He is remembered as a tall, florid, fine-looking, dignified
gentleman of the old school, conservative in opinions, and
old-fashioned in attire, an ardent politician, but a thoroughly
honest man. He was for several years in company with
Hon. Joel Turrill.

The latter was an older person, having been admitted in
1819. Like Brewster, he was a tall, large man of fine ap-
pearance and stately demeanor, and like him, too, was a
successful lawyer and politician, and a member of Congress
for two terms (1833-37). A shrewd manager, he was no
orator, and while in Congress never made a speech.

In fact, the bar of Oswego, as we state on the authority
of one of its most eminent members, has never been espe-
cially distinguished for the brilliancy of its orators, in cither
the legal or the political field. Many of its members were
good, fair speakers, but they were generally distinguished
rather for a plain, intelligible, common-sense way of pre-
senting their cases to a jury, or their opinions to the public,
than for any remarkable flights of eloquence.

Of J. S. Glover and Donald MePherson, both admitted
in 1830, little is known, save that thoy were here for a
short time subsequent to that year.

Daniel H. Marsh, admitted in 1827, practiced here
throughout his life, which terminated not many years ago.
He held several positions of trust, and was considered a re-
liable coun.selor. Soon after he came he was a partner of
Benjamin Nott, son of the celebrated President Nott, of
Union college, and the firm was quite prominent. Nott,
however, did not remain long.

G. A. Stansbury and Joseph Hunt remained but a few
years. For a time they were partners, and Hunt was after-
wards in company with Judge Brewster.

G. H. JlcWhortcr wiis an amiable and high-toned gen-
llenian, who held the office of United States marshal for
.several years, and was univei-sally respected. His other
pursuits drew him to a considerable extent away from his
jirofcssion.

J. M. Cii-sey was for many years supcrintcndcTit of .schools,
and is one of the few survivors among the lawyers of that
period.

Peter Sken Smith, a brother of the distinguished philan-
thropist, Gerrit Smith, was a very prominent man here for
several years, but rather as a politician and speculator than
as a lawyer. He was a good speaker, " full of fun," and it



170



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



was believed that if he had worked steadily at his profession
he might have attained high rank as an advocate.

In 1837, Fisher, Bunner, Glover, McPherson, Stansbury,
Beach, and Smith had been dropped from the list, through
death or removal, and in place of them we find the names
of Leander Babcock, S. Yates Baldwin, Wheeler Barnes,
Cyril H. Brackett, John Cochran, William Duer, Charles
J. Hurlburt, A. Y. Lansing, Samuel B. Ludlow, Archibald
McFarlane, Robert H. Martin, George W. Rathbun, and
Simon G. Tliroop. B. B. Burt also commenced practice
that year, of whom a sketch is given elsewhere.

It will be seen that the lawyers had crowded in pretty
rapidly during the prosperous period which had just closed.
Many of them left during the " hard times" which followed.
The most prominent of the new-comers were Leander Bab-
cock, John Cochran, and William Duer. Mr. Babcock, like
so many more of the eminent lawyers of Oswego, was not
at all a showy man. Quiet, reliable, and industrious, he
did his work thoroughly and well, and gained the universal
confidence of the community, by whom he was twice sent
to Congress. He died about 1867.

John Cochran was always prominent everywhere. He
really knew considerable, and he could tell all he knew, at
least.

It is the general testimony of the earlier members of the
bar that William Duer was one of the very ablest men who
has ever resided in Oswego. A clear reasoner, an eloquent
speaker, a liberal scholar, a genial companion, and a thorough
gentleman, Mr. Duer was soon accorded the position of a
leader, and eventually represented the district in Congress,
during the term of 1849-51. But he was none too fond
of work, and as his circumstances did not compel him to
hard labor, he did not take the place in his profession
which it was generally believed he might have taken had
he so willed. He left the county soon after his return from
Congress.

Of that sound and careful practitioner, the Hon. Orville
Robinson, who came from Mexico in 184:7, a biographical
sketch is given elsewhere.

As we come down among the living and active members
of the profession, we find ourselves on delicate ground, and
must be excused from indulging in either criticism or eulogy.
We therefore close by giving a simple list of all the present
members of the Oswego bar, leaving them to the judgment
of a far more serious tribunal than that of a county history.

John B. Alexander, Edwin Allen, William F. Allen,
Henry A. Balcani, Bronson Babcock, Henry C. Benedict,
Bradley B. Burt, Geo. N. Burt, Chester 0. Case, John M.
Casey, Edwin W. Clark, S. Bl. Coon, Benjamin T. Chase,
John C. Churchill, P. W. Cullinan, Wilson H. Gardenier,
Alfred B. Getty, Wm. H. Gillespie, Wm. W. Greene, Frank
E. Hamilton, Wm. W. Harman, Geo. W. Harmon, Orville
J. Harmon, Jesse Hathaway, Lamotte B. Hathaway, John
B. Higgins, Henry A. Jones, Wm. H. Kenyon, John J.
Lamoree, David P. Lester, J. Sims Mathews, Andrew Z.
McCarty, Jr., David D. Metcalf, David P. Morehouse, Fred.
H. Norton, Newton W. Nutting, Geo. W. Parkhurst, Gil-
bert E. Parsons, Albertus Perry, Wm. A. Poucher, Chas.
Rhodes, Charles T. Richardson, Wm. Tiffany, Silas A.
Webb, John J. White, Cyrus Whitney, C. Fred. Whitney.



BOARD OP TRADE.

The board of trade of the city of Oswego was organized
October 2, 1848, with the following officers : President,
Alvin Bronson ; Vice-President, George Seeley ; Treasurer,
Reid P. Whitney; Directors, James Phitt, Sylvester Doo-
little, Joel B. Penfield, Moses Merrick, Lucius B. Crocker,
William Lewis, Jr., and Myron Pardee.

The following-named gentlemen have occupied the position
of president of the board, from its organization to the
present (1877). Alvin Bronson, 1848-49 ; James Piatt,
1850; D. C. Littlejohn, 1851-53; James Piatt, 1854;
Frederick T. Carrington, 1855; William Lewis, 185G ;
Alvin Bronson, 1857; Frederick T. Carrington, 1858;
Oscar H. Hastings, 1859-60 ; W. I. Preston, 1861-62 ;
George B. Sloan, 1863 ; Frederick B. Lathrop, 1864; Gil-
bert MoUison, 1865-66; A. H. Failing, 1867; Cheney
Ames, 1868 ; Robert F. Sage, 1869 ; John K. Post, 1870;
Benjamin Hagaman, 1871 ; W. D. Smith, 1872 ; D. L.
Couch, 1873; Theodore Irwin, 1874; Isaac G. Jenkins,
1875 ; William R. Hosmer, 1876 ; and John Dunn, 1877.

The object of the board is to promote equitable principles
in trade, to correct abuses, and generally tp protect the
rights, and to advance the interests, of the mercantile



The officers for the current year are — President, John
Dunn ; Vice-President, Thomas Matthews ; Secretary, J.

B. H. Mongin ; Treasurer, 0. F. Gaylord ; Directors, 0.
H. Brown, B. Hagaman, Robert Gordon, Wardwell Ames,

C. C. Morton, D. L. Couch, and A. H. Failing. In ad-
dition to the regular officers various standing committees
are appointed, such as those on Finance, Transportation,
and Harbor. The present membership of the board is one
hundred and eight. It is in a generally prosperous condition.

BANKS.

The City Bank was organized in March, 1850, with a
capital of one hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars,
and was soon after increased to two hundred and seventy-
six thousand dollars. The first officers were S. Hubbell
Reynolds, president, and Delos De Wolf, cashier. Mr.
Reynolds was succeeded by Hamilton Murray, who remained
president until 1865, when Mr. De Wolf became president,
and has officiated in that capacity to the present time. He
was succeeded as cashier by David Mannering, the present
cashier. The business was commenced in the old Oswego
bank building, at the corner of Cayuga and Water streets.
It remained there about two years, and was removed to its
present location.

The National Marine Bank. — The Marine bank of
Oswego was organized under the general banking laws of
the State in 1856, and the following officers chosen, viz.,
Elias Root, president; Thomas Kingsford, vice-president;
John R. Noyes, cashier. William W. Mack, P. H. Warren,
Samuel Morgan, and Theodore Irwin wore also directors.
In the year 1865 it was changed to the National Marine
bank, and Mj-. Root became president, Thompson Kingsford
vice-president, and Mr. Noyes cashier, and they have offi-
ciated as such to the present time. The following were the
directors of the National bank : Elias Root, Thomas Kings-
ford, Theodore Irwin, Thompson Kingsford, John R. Noyes,



I



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



171



W. W. Mack, and P. H. Warren. The following directors
are deceased, viz., Thomas Kiugsford and P. H. Warren.
The business was establislied in the building now occupied
by them on tlie corner of East Front and Bridge streets.

L.\KE Ont.\rio Natio.nal Bank.— The Oswego banii
was organized in 1829, with Alvin Bronson as president
and Edmund Knower cashier. This was closed in 1842,
and iu the same year the Commercial was also closed, the
latter having been in operation seven years. In 1843
Luther Wright's bank was started, and continued until
1856, when it was merged with the Lake Ontario bank,
and James Piatt became president and E. B. Judson cashier.
In 18G5 it was changed to the Lake Ontario National bank.
D. G. Fort succeeded Mr. Judson as cashier; and on the
6th of July, 1870, Luther Wright became president. Cap-
ital, two hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars. This
bank has had a long and successful career, and the business
is now being closed.

First National Bank. — This bank was organized on
the twent3'-third day of January, 1864, with a capital
of one hundred thousand dollars. The following-named
persons composed the first board of directors : Thomas
Kingsford, Theodore Irwin, Elias Root, John R. Noyes,
Amos A. Bradley. Thomas King.sford was the first presi-
dent, Theodore Irwin vice-president, and Amos C. Bradley
cashier. In February, 1865, Thomas S. Mott became
president, and the capital stock was increased to two hun-
dred and fifty thousand dollars. In the month of January,
1866, i^Ir. Bradley was succeeded by J. D. W. Case. The
present directors are as follows : Thomas S. Mott, John T.
Mott, J. D. W. Case, John K. Post, and Dwight Ilerrlck.
The present oflicers are Thomas S. Mott, president ; J. D.
W. Case, cashier.

The Second National Bank was organized Janu-
ary 26, 1864. The following-named persons composed the
first board of directors : Leonard Ames, Alfred A. Hewlett,
Gilbert Mollison, Isaac L. Merriam, Theodore W. Wells,
Henry S. Conde, William Gardner, John C. Churchill.
First officers were as follows, viz. • Leonard Ames, presi-
dent ; Samuel B. Johnson, vice-president; and Henry S.
Chandler, cashier. Mr. Ames has remained president of
the bank from its organization to the present time. Mr.
Chandler remained cashier until July 1, 1864, when Mar-
shall B. Clarke was appointed. January 20, 1872, George
M. Williams was appointed vice Clarke, deceased. Mr.
Williams soon after resigned, and May 6, 1872, E. P.
Burt was appointed, who officiated until December 23,
1873, when his connection with the bank ceased, and the
office was vacant until April 22, 1874, when L. H. Conklin,
the present county treasurer, was chosen to that position.
Mr. Conklin remained cashier until February 28, 1876,
when he was succeeded by the present cashier, Henry R.
Carrier. Capital, one hundred and twenty thousand dol-
lars.

Oswego City Savings Bank. — This in.stitution was
incorporated by act of legislature passed March 4, 1859.
The following-named persons were its incorporators : Wil-
liam H. Herrick, Stephen H. Lathrop, William H. Wheeler,
Thomas Kingsford, Royal L. Mack, William 0. Hubbard,
Orville J. Harmon. John N. Collin.s Etioch B. Talcott,



Joel Turrill, and Sylvester Doolittlo. The first officers
were as follows, viz. : Thomas Kingsford, president ; S. H.
Lathrop, Orville J. Harmon, vice-presidents ; E. B. Talcott,
attorney; Henry L. Davis, treasurer; Loren E. Goulding,
secretary. The present officers are the same as upon the
incorporation of the bank, except that Luther Wright is
president, vice Kingsfi)rd, deceased, and 0. J. Harmon vice
Talcott, decea.sed. The present trustees are as follows:
L. Wright, S. H. Lathrop, 0. J. Harmon, D. Herrick, W.
H. Wheeler, J. K. Post, S. Doolittle, J. N. Collins, W. H.
Herrick, Gilbert Mollison, II. L. Davis.

The Oswego County Savings Bank was chartered
May 6, 1870. The following were the first officers and
trustees, viz. : Officers — President, Alanson S. Page ; vice-
presidents, John B. Edwards, Moses 3Ierrick, Charles H.
Cross; Attorney, Gilbert E. Parsons; Secretary, Alonzo II.
Failing ; Treasurer, Joseph B. Lathrop. Trustees, Alanson
S. Page, Moses Merick, Gilbert E. Parsons, Delos Do Wolf,
Daniel L. Couch, Cheney Ames, Charles Rhodes, John H.
Mann, Peter Lappin, Benjamin C. Turner, Jules Wendell,
Harvey Palmer, John B. Edwards, Charles H. Cro.ss,
Alonzo H. Failing, Charles Doolittle, George B. Sloan,
Samuel B. Johnson, John L. McWhorter, William Wales,
Robert Scott, John Dunn, Jr., 0. M. Bond, Benjamin L.
Stone, Andrew Miller. The present officers are as follows :
President, John B. Edwards; Vice-Presidents, Samuel B.
Johnson, Manister Worts, Robert Scott ; Attorney, Gilbert
E. Parsons; Secretary, Alonzo H. Failing; Treasurer,
Joseph B. Lathrop.

The Bank op Oswego was organized in 1871, with
a capital of one hundred thousand dollars. The first offi-
cers were P. Remington, president, and S. II. Lathrop,
cashier. They are the present officers.

mills and elevators.

The milling interest of Oswego has long been the lead-
ing business of the city, and is destined to remain. The
fine water privilege affijrded by the Oswego river early
stimulated capitalists to erect mills along its banks, and
although several have been destroyed by fire, there are
now twelve in operation, with sixty-five run of sttme, and
a grinding capacity of five thou.sand three hundred barrels
per day.

Below are given the names of the various mills, present
proprietors, and their predecessors, — so far as we have been
able to secure them, — the number of runs of stone in each
mill, together with grinding capacity and number of men
employed.

The Exchange Mills were erected by Abram
Varick, in the year 1834, and, after numerous changes
in the proprietorship, in 1865 came into the possession of
Jenkins, Hover & Co. Although the " Co." of this firm
has changed from time to time, Messrs. Jenkins and Hover
have remained, and arc the present senior proprietors. The
firm consists of Isaac G. Jenkins, Joseph Hover, J. A.
Benzing, and J. B. H. Mongin. The mill has five run of
stone, with a capacity of five hundred barrels per day.
Employ forty men.

Pearl Mills were erected in 1818, by William Lewis.
They subsequently pa.ssed into the hands of Ilobert F. Sage,



172



HISTOKY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



and in 1875 came into the possession of Jenkins, Hover &
Co. These mills have five run of stone, with a grinding
capacity of four hundred barrels per day. The enterprising
owners, in 1872, manufiictured one hundred and forty-three
thousand seven hundred and twenty barrels of flour.

Eeciprocity Mills and Elevator were erected by
George and Cheney Ames. They subsequently passed into
the hands of Cheney Ames, and are now owned by him.
The mill has five run of stone, with a grinding capacity
of three hundred barrels per day. Employ five men.
Capacity of elevator, one hundred and fifty thousand
bushels.

Empire Mills and Elevator were erected by Syl-
vester Doolittle, in 1843-44. They were destroyed by fire
in the great conflagration of 1852, and immediately rebuilt
by Mr. Doolittle. In 1864 they passed into the hands of
Jenkins & Doolittle, and in 1874 Mr. Jenkins disposed of
his interest to Benjamin Doolittle, the present owner. The
mill is operated by Doolittle, Ames & Co. The mill has
five run of stone, and a capacity of five hundred and fifty
barrels per day. Employ twenty men. Capacity of eleva-
tor, seventy thousand bushels.

Washington Mills and Elevator. — A mill was
erected on the site of the present Washington mills in



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 44 of 120)