Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 56 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 56 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


who leave their homes, and, threading their way into the
wilderness, first erect the standard of civilization. To Ben-
jamin Winch the honor is inscribed of being the first white
settler within the boundaries of the present thriving village
of Pulaski. lie located in 1804, and erected the fii-st tavern
on the site now occupied by the Palmer House. It was a
lug structure, but many a pioneer was cheered alike by his
fireside, venison, and whisky. Mr. Winch subsequently
sold the tavern to Jolin Hoar, who was probably an itiner-
ant, as nothing is known of him, who in turn disposed of it
to J. A. Mathewson, a native of Scituate, Rhode Island, who
settled in 180G. A son, Jeremiah A. Mathewson, resides'
in the village, and is without doubt more familiar with the
history of this village and town than any person now living.
Five families located in 1805, viz., William Smith, who
lived in a rude shanty near the point at the crossing of the
railroads : Daniel Stone, who occupied a log house on the
site of the present residence of Lucian Jones, which was a
partnership affair, one end being the house of Jonathan
llliodes ; Rufus Fox located on the site now occupied by
the Baptist church; and Erastus Kellogg, a blacksmith,
whose house stood a few rods north of the Frond block, and
was the first frame building erected in the village.

Rufus Fox remained in the village a few years, and then
located two miles up the river, at what is called Fox's
bridge. A son, Justus Fox, died in this town at the ad-
vanced age of eighty years. A son of Justus Fox, named
Hiram, resides near the old homestead. Rufus and Thomas
Bishop were also early settlers. John Jones came from
Oneida county in 1808, and still survives, at the age of
eighty years.

Settlement rapidly increased in IS 10. In that year
Captain John Meacham moved into the town, and occu-
pied the Rhodes and Stone house, and opened the first
store, which occupied the site of the present mercantile
establi.shment of C. R. Jones. Henry Patterson, a hatter,
came with Jlr. Meacham, and occupied a diminutive shop
on what is now the east end of James A. Clark's lot. In
1811, Silas Harmon became associated with Captain Mea-
cham in the mercantile business, and this firm was soon
succeeded by jMilton Harmon, nephew of Silas.

One of tlie greatest inconveniences experienced by the
pioneers was the want of mills for grinding grain. Long
and tedious journeys were made on liorseback with a bag
of corn, and the pestle and spring pole were resorted to.
J. A. Mathewson built the first grist-mill in 1808, and in
1810 the population of the village and town had so far in-
creased that another grist-mill became one of the press-
ing necessities of the flourishing settlement, and in that
year he erected the second grist-mill, which stood on the
site of the present box-factory of Charles ToUner.

The settlement of this town had so far advanced with
able-bodied men in 1812, that a company was raised, under
Captain John Meacham, which was twice called to the
defense of Saekett's Harbor, and once to Oswego.

During this year Hudson Tracy and John S. Davis set-
tled. The latter was a iiromiin'iit citizen, and oftieiatcd as



first .sheriff of Oswego County. They built the first earding-
and fulling-mill.

One of the early merchants was Thomas C. Baker. He
occupied a prominent position among the business men of
the county, and has officiated as supervisor and county
clerk. Mr. Baker still resides in tlie village, at the ad-
vanced age of eighty years. A daughter married D. A.
King, Esq.

Charles IT. Crnss, a native „f :Ma.lison cunly, New
York, settled here in the fall of 1814. lie became con-
nected with the land-office in 183G as a surveyor, and in
1 851 assumed control of one of the agencies of the Pierpont
estate, and still officiates in that capacity.

Other early merchants were as follows; Douglass &
Watson, Allen & Hale, Hale & Smith, Baker & Preston,
Jones & Clark, John T. McCarty, John H. Wells, J. Man-
ning Hall, Newell Wright, Ralph French, Luther Allen,
John L. Dickinson, James Wood.

Other early .settlers in the village were : Gersham Hale,
Jehiel Weed and two sons Ezra and Joel, Jacob Weed and
sons, Angus JIcFee, Henry Mitchell, Oliver Ramsdell,
Joel Harmon, Amos Fellows.

The first school in Pulaski was held in a building erected
by J. A. Mathewson for a blacksmith-shop, near the south
end of the Palmer House, and was taught hy Rebecca Cross,
afterwards the wife of James Harmon. She was succeeded
in the management of this primitive institution by Miss A.
Hinman. Pliny Jones kept the next school, in the log house
belonging to J. A. Mathewson.

The first building erected solely for a school stood on the
premises now owned by William Hill, and near the front
gate leading to his residence. Two months afterwards this
building was destroyed by fire, and school was opened in a
building owned by Mr. Bush, which occupied tlie site of the
present residence of George W. Wood. Pliny Jones then
opened his house for the accommodation of the .school,
where it was held during one winter, when a school-house
was erected on the present site of the land-office. It was
subsequently removed to the present site of the Baptist
church. The next school building erected was of brick, on
the ground now occupied by the Congregational church.
This was subsequently taken down, and school opened in
the old Congregational church, which is now occupied as a
graded school.

The first court in Oswego County was held in Oswego in
October, 181G, when a number of persons presented them-
selves, and were admitted to the bar. This, however, was
the only business tran.sacted, and the first court at which a
jury was drawn was convened at Pulaski in February,
1817.

Three years after the first court was held in the county,
the court-house in Pulaski was erected, and a tablet set in
the walls bearing the following inscription : " This building
erected a.d. 1819. James Weed, builder; Simon Meacham,
John S. Davis, Ebenezer Young, building committ^je."
The old structure was rebuilt and enlarged in 1859, and is
a conifnrtable and commodious edifice.



K.^RI.Y ATTORN EY!
(p. when the first cou



held, Pulaski



2V.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK



had so fixr advanced that it required no prophetic vision to
discern that it must soon become an important business
village. At that early period as well as iu our own time,
there were —



'Doubtful balances
And weary lawyer



rights an
ith endle



tongues.'



The first Gamaliel of the law who raised his voice in
Pulaski was Benjamin Winch, familiarly known as " Pa"
Winch. He was the graduate of no college or law school,
neither had he sat under the tutelage of a Livingstone or a
Kent, but he was possessed of a vast amount of self-esteem,
which, with a sprinkling of good judgment and common
sense, caused him to be eagerly sought after by the litigants
of those early days.

The fir.st regular attorney in Pulaski was James A. Davis,
who came from Oneida county.

Chester Hayden was a prominent pioneer attorney, and
subsequently became one of the judges of Oswego County.

Abram P. Vosburg came from the valley of the Mohawk.
He was admitted at the first court held in the county.

J. W. Helme practiced here a number of years, and
removed to the west. He subsequently abandoned the law
and entered the Baptist ministry. James J. Petitt and
Harvey J. Harmon were also early practitioners.

The present bar consists of the following: Hon. A. Z.
McCarty, J. B. Watson, D. A. King, Hon. S. C. Hunting-
ton, J. W. Fenton, Hun. N. B. Smith, Hon. John Preston,
J. W. Shea, J. R. Brown, B. Parkhurst, and C. B. King.

PIONEER PHYSICIANS.

The first disciple of ^sculapius in this town was Dr.
Porter, who came from Vermont and located in 1806.

Isaac Whitmore was the first physician that settled with-
in the present boundaries of the village. He came from
MadLson county in 1810, and located on the premises now
occupied by Mr. Hohman.

Allen Andrews came soon after, and erected a portion of
the house now occupied by Dr. J. N. Betts.

Dr. Gridley settled in the village in about the year 1815,
and resided on the site now occupied by the residence of
D. A. King, Esq. Dr. H. F. Noyes subsequently came
and occupied the same residence.

The medical profession is at present ably represented ,by
the following : F. S. Lowe, J. N. Betts, H. W. Caldwell,
Ed. F. Kelly, A. S. Lowe.

E, L. INGERSOLL & COSIPANT's BANK.

This banking institution was established in 1854 as the
Pulaski bank, R. L. Ingersoll president and S. R. Ingham
cashier. It was conducted under this name until 1862, when
it was changed to the name of R. L. Ingersoll & Company's
bank, which it still retains. W. B. Dixon is present cashier.
The business was established in a building now occupied by
Henry Clark as a store on the east side of Jefl'erson street.
About two years afterwards it was removed to the Tucker
block, where it has since remained. The present prosperous
condition of this institution is mainly due to the personal
attention of Mr. R. L. Ingersoll, who has been connected
with it since its organization.



PULASKI NATIONAL BANK.

J. A. Clark & Company's State bank was organized Sep-
tember 1, 1862, with J. A. Clark president and Charles A.
Clark cashier. The Pulaski National bank was chartered
July 31, 1865, with Charles A. Clark president and James
A. Clark cashier. The oflices have not changed. Lewis J.,
son of J. A. Clark, was appointed assistant cashier in 1874.
The bank has a capital of one hundred thousand dollars,
and paid-up capital of fifty thousand dollars. This business
was commenced in a building now occupied by Mr. Forman.
Their present banking building was erected in 1865, and
was occupied by them in September of the same year.

Pulaski was incorporated in May, 1832, and at the first
meeting held for the election of oflScers Judge Hubbell
presided, and Hon. A. Z. McCarty officiated as clerk.

The following officers were elected, viz. : Abner French,
president ; Isaac H. Stearns, Hiram Hubbell, Benjamin H.
Wright, and John H. Wells, trustees; John L. Dickinson,
clerk; Thomas C. Baker, John L. Dickinson, Casper C;
West, assessors ; L. B. Cole, collector ; Isaac Whitmore,
treasurer.

The village was re-incorporated May 25, 1858.

The present ofiioers are as follows: Albert F. Betts,
president ; Benjamin Pierce, John F. Box, Roswell C.
Dickinson, Thomas Hall, trustees ; E. Harmon, assessor ;
Elihu Bushnell, collector ; William B. Dixon, treasurer ;
John Preston, clerk.

A fire department was organized here in an early day,
but no records are in existence showing the date of such
organization. May 9, 1865, the old company disbanded,
and the "Ringgold Fire Company, No. 1," was organized.
The present officers are as follows : C. L. Myers, chief; J.
N. Daly, president ; D. C. Dodge, viee-president ; M. D.
Bumpus, secretary ; D. C. INIahaiFy, treasurer ; S. T. Doane,
janitor; George 0. Harmon, foreman ; Wm. H. Lester, Jr.,
assistant foreman.

Much attention has been bestowed by the citizens of Pu-
laski on the fire department, and it is now in good condi-
tion. The company has a neat and substantial two-story
brick engine-house, and the council-chamber is a model of
neatness, surpassing in beauty of arrangement and elegance
those of more pretentious towns. The department has two
hand-engines in perfect order, a hose-cart, and about two
hundred feet of hose.

The following persons represent the business interests of
to-day except attorneys, physicians, and bankers, mentioned
on a previous page :

Paper-mill, Outerson & Cornell.

Book-hoard paper-mill, Outerson & Lewis.

Cheese-factory, Walter Holmes.

Cardiag-machine, Stewart & Mahaffy.

Block-factory, Alcott & Son.

Planing-mill, R. L. Ingersoll.

Grist-mills, C. R. Campbell's, erected in 1838 by Henry
Averill ; Dixon & Allen's, erected by A. Porter in 1852 ;
James Harmon's, erected by Samuel and Hiram Cook in
1845 ; A. W. Davis' " red mill," erected in 1836 by J. A.
Mathewson and his son, Jeremiah A. Mathewson.

Steam saio-mill, D. A. Delano.



HISTORY OF OSWKOO COUNTY, N'HW YORK.



213



Fuwidri/ and macldne-slwp, Lorenzo Ling.

Furniture manu/actori/, 11. W. Box.

Butler-tub and checse-ltox factories, Davis & Claric,
Byron Stark.

Carriage-manufacturers, T. R. Ligcrsull, J. H. Lariibec,
J. David, A. Scheff.

Saw-mill, L. Calkius.

Fancy box factory , Charles Tollncr.

Dry-goods, C. R. Jones, H. B. Clark, Jones & Lane, G.
W. Woods.

Drugs, J. F. Box, G. W. Fuller, D. B. Meacham & Son.

Groceries, C. R. Jones, B. Pierce & Son, T. Wallace, M.
L. Hollis, M. Pierce & Son, T. Buuipus.

Clothing, A. F. Betts, Wm. June, F. Frank, U. Levy.

Hardware, A. N. Beadle, C. R. Dickinson.

Boohs, A. Meacham, J. Austin.

Millinery, Sliss A. Tifft, Miss L. F. Box, IMiss Dograw,
Mrs. E. A. Foreman, Mrs. Slater, Mr. Falk.

Furniture, R. W. Box.

Boots and shoes, S. Mason, B. D. Salisbury.

Jeicelers, W. Allen & Co., L. A. Gaylord, Mr. Davis.

Harness-shop, J. Davison, Mr. Burton.

Livery, L. M. Tyler, E. A. Forman.

Hotels, " Salmon River House," W. H. Gray, proprietor ;
" Palmer House," S. A. Palmer, proprietor ; " Mayo's
Hotel," C. Mayo, proprietor.

Saloons, E. L. Austin, W. Hemans, F. Wood.

Station-agent, S. D. Moore.

Montreal telegraph, G. H. Fuller, operator.

Dominion telegraph, M. D. Bumpus, operator.

The first post-ofl5ce was established in Richland Janu-
ary, 1817, and Henry White appointed postmaster. Or-
ville Morrison was appointed in 1818 ; Hiram Hubbell in
1819 ; Daniel H. Fisk in 1842 ; Henry N. Wright in De-
cember, 1844 ; Joseph T. Stevens in 1849 ; Benjamin
Rhodes in 1851 ; Newell Wright in 1852. January 27,
1853, the name of the office was changed to Pula.ski, and
Newell Wright continued as postmaster until July 14,
1853, when William C. Hempstead was appointed. He
was succeeded by Henry N. Wright in 1856. John B.
Wat.son was appointed in 1861, and Henry N. Wright in
ISGC. John B. Watson was reappointed in 1867, and
still officiates in that capacity.



Fellowship Lodge, No. 288. — The petition for a warrant
to hold a lodge in the town of Richland, county of Oneida,
to be called " Fellowship lodge," is dated March 28, a.d.
1816, and signed as follows: Elias Howe, James Weed,
James A. Thomp.son, Asahel Baker, Ebenezer Young,
Reuben Peek, Luther Howe, Julius Whitmore, George
Harding, John Yerrington, Newton Marsh, Joseph Hurd,
Benjamin Covey, Jr., Nathan W. Noyes.

The petition was recommended by Rising Sun lodge. No.
228, Washington lodge, No. 256, and R. W. Grand
Visitor, Joseph Enos, and was granted December 4, a.d.
1816.

Fellowship lodge. No. 288, was first convened September
10, A.D. 1817. Its charter bore date June 5, A.D. 1817,
with the names of Elias Howe, James Weed, and Janius



A. Thompson inserted tlnnin as W. M.,S. and J. W.'s in
the order named.

Jeremiali A. Mathewson was the first Mason made, and
it was at his house the lodge held its first communication.
During its existence the lodge held one hundred and ninety-
five comuiunicati(jns, with an average attendance of forty-
nine. It had nine diffi;rent W. M.'s, viz., Elias Howe,
elected September 10, a.d. 1817, December 19, 1817 ;
Chester Ilaydcn, December 1), 1818, December 13, 1820 ;
John Davis,- December 1, 1819; Lutlier Howe, December
5, 1821, December 25, 1822 ; Peter Hinman, December
17, 1823 ; Thomas C. Baker, December 1, 1824, December
21, 1825, December 13, 1826; Abner French, November
28, 1827, December 17, 1828, December 9, 1829; Oliver
L. Ramsdell, December 29, 1830, December 14, 1831,
December 5, 1832, December 25, 1833, December 10,
1834 ; Joseph Avery, December 2, 1835. The last-men-
tioned W. M. fiiiled to become qualified to preside over a
lodge for more than thirty years after his election. Re-
turning to Pulaski to visit his friends, P. W.'s D. A. King,
AY. K. Combs, F. S. Low, Benj. Snow, and John M. Watson,
of Pulaski lodge, No. 415, conferred the necessary quali-
fications, when this pioneer of Masonry returned to his
western home content.

The lodge had thirteen S. W.'s, viz., James Weed,
elected September 10, A.D. 1817 ; James A. Thompson,
December 19, 1817; John Davis, December 9, 1818;
Luther Howe, December 1, 1819, December 29, 1830;
Peter Hinman, December 13, 1820, December 5, 1821,
December 25, 1822; T. C. Baker, December 17, 1823;
James A. Davis, December 1, 1824; Chester Hayden,
December 7, 1825; Abner French, December 13, 1826;
Justus Fox, November 28, 1827, December 17, 1828;
Wm. Hale, December 9, 1829 ; Joseph Avery, December
14, 1831, December 5, 1832, December 25, 1833, Decem-
ber 10, 1834 ; Asa L. Dickinson, December 2, 1835.

Sixteen J. W.'s respectively occupied the South, viz.,
James A. Thompson, elected September 10, a d. 1817 ;
H. T. Harmon, December 19, 1817 ; Luther Howe, De-
cember 9, 1818 ; Peter Hinman, December 1, 1819 ; Asa-
hel Baker, Dccembei 30, 1820 ; Anson Maltby, December
5, 1821, December 25, 1822; John C. Pride, December
17,1823; John Reynold.s, December 21,1824; Augu,stu3
Fellows, December 7, 1825; Justus Fox, December 13,
1826; Ralph French, November 28, 1827; Wm. Hale,
December 17, 1828; Oliver L. Ramsdell, December 9,
1829; A. French, December 29, 1830, December 14, 1831 ;
J. J. Kellogg, December 5, 1832, December 25, 1833;
Pliny Jones, December 10, 1834; Oliver L. Ramsdell,
December 2, 1835.

Ten Treasurers were custodians of the lodge fund.s, viz.,
Asahel Baker, elected September 10, A.D. 1817, December
5, 1821, December 25, 1822, December 17, 1823, Decem-
ber 1, 1824 ; J. A. Mathewson, December 19, 1817, De-
cember 9, 1818, December 1, 1819; Simon Meacham,
December 13, 1820; Pliny Jones, December 7, 1825,
I December 13, 1826; Wm. Hale, November 28, 1827;
Isaac Fellows, December 17, 1828 ; Joseph Avery, Dcecm-
! ber 9, 1829; John J. Kellogg, December 29, 1830, De-
! ccmber 14, 1831 ; A. French, December 5, 1832, Decern-



14



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



bar 25, 1S33, Djaembsr 10, 18 3i; Rilpli FMiich, Decem-
ber 2, 1835.

ElevoQ Saoretaries recorded the lodge's proceedings, viz.,
H. White, elected September 10, a.d. 1817 ; E. Young,
December 19, 1817; Smith Dunlap, December 9, 1818,
December 10, 1819, December 13, 1820 ; T. C. Baker,
December 5, 1821, December 25, 1822 ; J. A. Davis, De-
cember 17, 1823; Anson Maltby, December 1, 1824;
Wm. Hale, December 7, 1825, December 13, 1826 ; Hiram
Hubbell, November 28, 1827 ; A. C. Dickinson, December
17, 1828 ; Henry Gillespie, December 9, 1829, December
29, 1830, December U, 1831, December 5, 1832, Decem-
ber 25, 1833, December 10, 183-t; Abner French, Decem-
ber 2, 1835.

The lodge held its communications at the house of J. A.
Mathewson from September 10, a.d. 1817, to January 22,
A.D. 1818. It was then removed to the house of E. Young,
" and met till" May 16, 1821. At its last communication
held at this place. Brother Young's account for room rent,
candles, and rations was rendered. January 2, 1822, the
lodge was located at the house of S. Harmon. December
27, 1824, it was removed to the residence of Anson Maltby.
February 2, 1826, the lodge removed to Masonic hall, located
in the second story of the then called brick school-house,
which was situated on the grounds now occupied by the
Congregational church.

The lodge at different periods celebrated the anniversary
of the Sc. John's. May 21, a.d. 1823, a resolution was
adopted " to celebrate the next St. John's, and that there
be a committee of five to make such arrangements as shall
be advised, and to give notice of the celebration in the
Oswego papers. That Brothers 0. Hayden and Oliver
Ayer, preachers of the gospel, be requested to deliver an
addre.ss on said 24th. That Brethren James A. Davis,
T. C. Baker, John Wood, S. Dunlap be a committee for
the above-set-forth business."

So far as is known, but three members of the lodge are
living, T. C. Baker, A. French, and Joseph Avery.

Its charter and one book of minutes are all that is pre-
served of Fellowship lodge, No. 288. They are in pos-
session of Pulaski lodge. No. 415. Just one entry from
the book, indicating the character of the noble men com-
posing the lodge, may be quoted :

" July 23, A.D. 1828. Lodge opened, and after some
friendly conversation mutually given and received, the lodge
closed in good harmony.

" Hiram Hubbell, Secretary."

Pulaski Chapter, No. 104. — The charter under which
Pulaski chapter, No. 104, was instituted bears date Febru-
ary 3, A.D. 1825. Worthy Companion Rev. Joshua Bradley
was appointed H. Priest, Allen Andrews, King, Smith
Dunlap, Scribe, of a chapter of Royal Arch Masons, to be
by virtue of said charter formed, constituted, and holden at
the village of Pulaski, Oswego County.

At ten o'clock a.m., December 20, a.d. 1825, agreeable
to previous arrangements, the brethren and companions of
the chapter assembled at Masonic hall, and proceeded to
elect the following officers, viz. : Rev. Joshua Bradley, M.
E. H. P.; Allen Andrews, M. E. K.; Smith Dunlap, M. E.
S.; Jeremiah Fields, C. H. ; Joshua Robinson, R. A. C. ;



John BoUin, P. S. ; Henry Weed, M. of 3d V. ; Isaac
Kinney, M. of 2d V. ; Alexander M. Kent, M. of 1st V. ;
John Wood, Treas. ; T. C. Baker, Sec'y ; John Gratton,
Tyler. The chapter then adjourned to the court-house,
when the officers elect were duly installed by G. H. P.,
Ezra Crozler, and D. H. P., S. Jones. After the installa-
tion services were concluded, the Rev. G. Chaplain delivered
an appropriate address. A procession was then formed, which
" moved" to the house of S. Harmon for dinner. After
dinner, at half-past four o'clock p.m., returned to the hall.

At this meeting the following names were " proposed for
the four degrees," viz. : Brothers E. Young, A. Dudley,
James Weed, Augustus Fellows, Isaac Fellows, John C.
Pride, John BoUin, C. Hayden, Wm. Hale, Justus Fox,
0. L. Ramsdell, and Jabez Meacham.

December 12, a.d. 1826, A. Andrews was elected M. E.
H. P. ; T. C. Baker, M. E. K. ; 0. L. Ramsdell, Scribe ;
Justus Fox, C. H. ; Luthur Howe, P. S. ; Peter Hinman,
R. A. C. ; Augustus Fellows, M. of 3d V. ; Abner French,
M. of 2d V. ; Benjamin Gibbs, M. of 1st V. ; Wm. Hale,
Sec'y ; John Wood, Treas. ; E. McMellen, Tyler.

December 25, a.d. 1827, T. C. Baker was elected M. E.
H. P. ; Isaac Fellows, M. E. K. ; Allen Andrews, Scribe ;
Luther Howe, C. H. ; 0. L. Ramsdell, P. S. ; Justus Fox,
R. A. C. ; Abner French, M. of 3d V. ; Benjamin Gibbs,
M. of 2d V. ; Ralph French, M. of 1st V. ; Pliny Jones,
Treas. ; Wm. Hale, Sec'y ; J. W. Helme, C.

December 24, a.d. 1828, Henry Weed was elected M. E.
H. P. ; Allen Andrews, M. E. K. ; Justus Fox, Scribe ;
Isaac Fellows, C. H. ; 0. L. Ramsdell, P. S. ; Augustus
Fellows, R. A. C. ; Abner French, M. of 3d V. ; Benja-
min Gibbs, M. of 2d V. ; R. F. North, M. of Ist V. ; Pliny
Jones, Treas. ; Wm. Hale, Sec'y ; Rev. P. Goodwin, Chap.

The regular communications of the chapter were held on
Tuesday, at three o'clock P.M., on or next preceding the
first full moon in the months of December, March, June,
and September. It held during its existence twenty-seven
communications, and advanced fifty-one M. M.'s to the
degrees of M. M., P. M., 31. E. M., and R. A. M. It
ceased to meet March 24, a.d. 1829.

January 10, A.D. 1826, the secretary, Judge Wm. Hale,
recorded the fact that " one-half dollar was received and ex-
pended for refreshment." The charter and the minutes are
in the possession of Pulaski lodge, No. 415.

Palaski Lodge, No. 415. — The dispensation under which
this lodge was instituted bears date August 11, a.d. 1856.
The following names were inserted therein, viz. : W. K.
Combs, F. L. Williams, A. H. Weed, Isaac Fellows, Abner
French, Augustus Day, M. Russell, S. B. Ingham, A. Tows-
ley, and Norman Root. The first three were M. and W.'s
in the order named.

At its first communication N. Root was elected Treasurer,
and A. Day, Secretary. D. A. King, F. S. Low, and J. A.
Clark were the first applicants for membership. The lodge
charter was granted June 10, A.D. 1857, with the names
of Warren K. Combs, W. M. ; Don A. King, S. W. ; P.
31. Borland, J. W., inserted therein ; was received August
19, A.D. 1857, when the lodge was promptly convened for
the installation of its officers. At this communication
James A. Clark was elected Treasurer, and Jesse W. Cross,




F^ES.of S.H.FELLOV/S, rULASKl,tl.




RES. or J. 0. & G.W. WHITE, Richlaho, Oswego Co., N. /,



niSTOKY OF OSWEdO COUNTY, NHW YOItK.



215



Secrotavy. The officers were duly iii>t:,lKHl l>y ^\ . J-. II.



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 56 of 120)