Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 57 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 57 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Conklin, of Mexico, New York.

The lodge has three liundred and fifteen names ujion its
rolls. It has lost by death twenty-two members, by dis-
mission and removals one hundred and eight, leaving its
present membership one hundred and eighty-five. Septem-
ber 2], A.D. 18G4, all the members residing within the
jurisdiction of Sandy Creek withdrew from the lodge and
institutid Sandy Creek lodge, No. 564. This accounts for
the large lo.ss of membership by dismission.

Ten different \V. M.'s have presided over the lodge, viz.,
W. K. Combs, from its institution to December 16, A.D.
1857, elected December 16, 1863 ; P. M. Borland, Decem-
ber 16, 1857 ; D. A. King, December 15, 1858, December
21, 1859; Frank S. Low, December 19, 1860, December
18, 1861, December 17, 1862; Benjamin Snow, December
21, 1864, December 20, 1865; Daniel W. Grout, Decem-
ber 19, 1866, December 18, 1867, December 16, 1868,
died December 21, 1868; John T. McCarty, January 6,
1869; Smith E. Salisbury, December 15, 1869, December
21, 1870; Wilson F. Purdy, December 20, 1871, Decem-
ber 18, 1872, December 17, 1873, December 16, 1874,
December 15, 1875; David C. Mahaffy, December 20,
1876. Twelve S. W.'s have stood in the West, viz., F. L.
Williams, from its institution to August 19, a.d. 1857;
Don A. King, elected August 19, 1857; F. S. Low, De-
cember 15, 1858, D.'cember 21, 1859; Benjamin Suow,
December 19, 1860, December 18, 1861, December 17,
1862; John T. McCarty, December 16, 1863; D. W.
Grout, December 21, 1864, December 20, 1865; Seneca
D. Moore, December 19, 18G6, December 18, 1867, De-
cember 21, 1870, December 20, 1871, December 18, 1872,
December 17, 1873 ; S. E. Salisbury, December 16, 1868 ;
T. K. Ingersoll, December 15, 1869; H. H. Potter, De-
cember 16, 1874; D. C. Mahaffy, December 15, 1875;
Lewis J. Macy, December 20, 1876. Fifteen J. W.'s have
officiated in the South, viz., Albert H. Weed, from its
institution to August 19, A. D. 1857 ; P. M. Borland, elected
August 19, 1857; Benjamin Snow, December 15, 1858,
December 21, 1859 ; Henry Twitchell, December 19, 1860,
December 18, 1861, December 17, 1862; D. W. Grout,
December 16, 1863; S.D.Moore, December 21, 1864,
December 20, 1865, December 15, 1869; J. Davidson,
December 19, 1866 ; A. L. Williams, December 18, 1867 ;
H. H. Potter, December 16, 1868; W. F. Purdy, Decem-
ber 21, 1870; Orla Allen, December 20, 1871 ; N. A.
Alsever, December 18, 1872; D. C. Mahaffy, December
17, 1873, December 16, 1874; L. J. Macy, December 15,
1875; F. H. Mahaffy, December 20, 1876.

The lodge has had five Treasurers, viz., Norman Root,
elected August 23, a.d. 1856, served to August 19, 1857 ;
James A. Clark, elected Augu.st 19, 1857, served to Decem-
ber 19, 1860; William H. Gray, elected December 19,
1860, served to December 21, 1870; Henry Twitchell,
elected December 21, 1870, served to December 20, 1871|;
T. R. Ingersoll, elected December 20, 1871, annually re-
elected, and is now the present Treasurer.

Six Secretaries have recorded the proceedings of the
lodge, viz., Augustus Day, elected August 23, a.d. 1856,
served to August 19, 1857 ; Jesse W. Cross, elected Au-



gust 19, 1857, served to December 15, 1858; Charles H.
Cross, from December 15, 1858, to December 16, 18G3; A.
R. Angell, elected December 16, 18G3, served to December
21, 1864 ; E. C. Seeley, elected December 21, 1864, served to
December 19, 1866; Benjamin Snow, elected December 19,
1866, annually re-elected, and is now the present Secretary.

The lodge Chaplains number ten, viz., Jules F. Billiard,
appointed December 19, a.d. ISGO; Rev. P. B. Morrison,
December 18, 1861, December 17, 18G2 ; John Woodbury,
December 16, 1863, December 21, 1864; Rev. F. II.
Stanton, December 20, 1865, December 19, 1866, Decem-
ber 18, 1867; Rev. S. J. Decker, December 16, 1868;
Rev. R. C. Boyer, December 15, 1869, December 21,
1870; L. R. Muzzy, December 20, 1871 ; E. II. Gaylord,
December 18, 1872; Rev. William L. Tisdale, December
17, 1873, December 16, 1874; Rev. James P. Fo-stcr,
December 15, 1875, December 20, 1876.

The lodge was incorporated under chapter 317, laws of
1866, on the 6th of January, a.d. 1874. The firet board
of trustees were C. H. Cross, W. K. Combs, T. R. Ingersoll.
December 16, 1874, S. D. Moore was elected in place of
C. H. Cross. December 15, 1875, W. K. Combs, and
December 20, 1876, T. R. Ingersoll, were re-elected.

Since its in.stitution the lodge has in no case omitted to
hold its regular communications on the first and third
Wednesday of every month. Financially, the lodge is
established on a sound basis. It freely bestows its charities
upon all needy craftsmen who apply, as well as upon its
own members. The widows and orphans of deceased
brethren are not neglected, but assisted. The feelings of
the entire community towards the lodge are of a friendly
character, and the time is near, even now is, when it is re-
garded as an honor to be a Free and Accepted Mason, and
a member of Pulaski lodge No. 415.

PULASKI academy.

The citizens of the village generally became very much
interested in the education of its children and youth,
and in the year 1853, through the exertions of Messrs.
Charles H. Cross, Hiram Murdock, Anson R. Jones, George
Gurley, Don A. King, An.son Maltby, Newton M. Ward-
well, Samuel Woodruff, and William II. Lester, an act of
the legislature was passed consolidating parts of three school
districts lying within the village into one district, to be
known thereafter as the " Pulaski school district," empower-
ing its board of trustees to establish and orgiinize a classical
school, to be known by the name of " the Pulaski academy."

The above-named gentlemen, being the first trustees of
said district, and ex-officio board of education, did as soon
as practicable establish the Pulaski academy. In the summer
of 1855 it became subject to the visitation of the board
of regents, in the same manner and to the same extent as
though originally incorporated by them, and now enjoys all
the benefits and advantages, and ranks among the best
academies of the Stitte. In April, 1854, the beautiful
grounds on the bank of Salmon river, containing about
one and three-



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 57 of 120)