Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 58 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 58 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


largely exceeded that length.

The early position of this church on the subject of
temperance is deserving of notice here. So long ago as
June 20, 1829, the following record was made :

" Voted unanimously that this church do hereby resolve
that each and every member refrain from the use of ardent
spirits in any case except as a medicine."




c




7f^




RESfOENC£ OF DON A .KING, PULASKI , N. Y.



HISTORY OF OSWKGO COUNTY, NKW YORK.



219



It is believed that few churches at that early day held
such just and advanced views on this important question.
The hist report gave an enrolled membership of one huiuhvd
and ten.

ST. JAMES EPISCOPAL CHURCH.

St. James Church, Puhiski, was organized August 10,
1S46, Hon. Andrew Z. MeCarty presiding at a meeting
lield for that purpose in the court-house. John David
and Andrew Z. McCarty were elected wardens ; John Box,
Jr., Daniel McCarty, Jerome B. Smith, Joseph T. Stevens,
John A. Rhoades, Aldeu Craudall, Frey Lane, J. C.
Rhoadea weie cliosen vestrymen ; Rev. Edward De Zeng
ministered here from some time in 1848 to April, 1849 ;
Rev. Henry Stanley wa.s rector from April 22, 1849, to
October 12, 1852 ; Rev. Gordon M. Bradley served the
parish from January 1, 1853, to October of the same year;
Rev. Andrew Oliver from July 9, 1854, to April 8, 1855;
Rev. Jo.shua L. Harrison from about October 1, 1855, to
April 1, 1856; Rev. Mo.ses E. Wilson from December 1,
1856, to December 1, 1857 ; supplied by visiting clergymen
for three and a half years (especially Rev. William Paret,
rector Zion church, Pierrepont Manor), and by lay reading
by Mr. John David, senior warden ; Rev. Peter B. Morrison
from June 16, 1861, to May 3, 1863; Rev. Milton B.
Benton from Augu.st, 1863, to May, 1867; Rev. Gilbert
B. Hayden from August 1, 1867, to Aug. 12, 1868 ; Rev.
Robert C. Boyer from January 4, 1869, to February, 1871 ;
Rev. J. H. Rowling from autumn of 1871, for nine months;
Rev. W. H. Hopkins from January 1, 1873, to November,
1874. During the frequent vacancies in the pastorate of
this church, religious services were kept up by the lay
reading of the late venerable John David, the founder and
life-long senior warden of the parish.

The present rector is the Rev. James P. Foster, who ac-
cepted the rectorship May 1, 1875, and is still the incum-
bent. Under his pastorate this church has added thirty
families, two hundred individuals, and fifty communicants.

During the two years of his incumbency there have been
eighty baptisms and forty-eight confirmations. A par.sonagc
has been paid for and the parish kept free from debt. Some
of the first members of this church were John David and
wife, Hon. A. Z. McCarty and family, of Pulaski; Joseph
T. Stevens, Daniel McCarty, of Washington, D. C. ; Frey
Lane and family, John T. McCarty and family, of Pulaski;
D. 0. Knowlton, of Syracuse; R. L. Ingensoll and iiiujily,
and Jules Billiard and family, of Pulaski.

The church building was finished in 1850, and was con-
secrated February 27, 1850, by the Right Reverend William
H. De Lancey, bishop of western New York. It was at
that time regarded as one of the prettiest church edifices iti
the diocese. The cost of the building was two thousand
five hundred dollars. It is thirty by ninety feet. The
architect was Upjohn, of New York.

The present officers are Stephen Mason and Charles 11.
Cross, wardens; John T. McCarty, Jules Billiard, William
H. Hill, W. P. Outerson, A. J. Shelley, L. D. Potter,
William H. Gray, Prof. S. Dufiy, vestrymen. The parish
is indebted to the Hon. William C. Pierrepont, of Pierre-
pont Manor, for the gift of five hundred dollai-s towards the
church building, and one thousand dollars forthe parsonage.



THE BAPTIST CHUKCIl OK .sonri lUCIlLAND.

This cliurch was orgiinized mi the 7th day of October,
1817, by a council convened at the hou.se of Colonel Robert
Gillespie. Elder Enos Ferris beainie the first pa.stor of the
church October 11, 1817, and officiated in that capacity
during a number of years.

The services of this early organization were held at various
private houses until 1839; a church edifice mis commenced
and completed in the following year. The first service was
held in the church April 11, 1840. Tiiere arc no records
of the church from which can be obUiined the names of the
diiferent pastors who have been stationed here. We are
only able to give the names of Elders Evering, M. V. Will-
son, E. Crove, and Rev. T. G. Jones, the present pastor.
The roll of membership numbers .sixty-one.

THE METHODIST El'I.SCOPAL CHURCH OF SOUTH RICH-
LAND.

This church was organized in June, 1840, by Rev. G. C.
Woodrutt' and Rev. Gardner Baker, with the following
members: Solomon and Betsey Erskine, Phucbe Erskine,
Betsey Dickinson, Rhoda Stewart, Seberu Dickinson and
wife, George H. English and wife, Timothy Steel and wife,
Levi Gary and wife, and Jonathan Sher\¥ood and wile.

Services were held in the school-house until 1858, when
the present church edifice was dedicated by Rev. George
Sawyer, presiding elder, and the pastor. Rev. J. H. Burnett.
The building was erected at a cost of eight hundred dollars.

At the organization of this church it wa.s a part of the
Pulaski circuit, and served by Rev. G. C. Woodruft" in
1842, and Rev. B. Holmes in 1843-44. In the latter year
it was made a part of the Mexico circuit, and in 1845 Rev.
0. Lathrop officiated as pastor. Rev. O. Squires was pastor
in 1846-47, David B. Smith in 1848, Allen C. Castle iu
1849-50, and J. C. Smedley and D. Barnard in 1851.

Ill 1851 it was made an independent charge.

The following-named persons have served this church as
pastors from its orgauizaliou as an independent charge to the
present time, embracing a period of twenty-six yeare, —

Revs. William Pock, 1852; J. M. Hudson, 1853-54;
David P. Knapp, 1855-56; J. H. Burnett, 1857-58; J.
H. Buck, 1859-60 ; Allen C. Castle, 1861 ; A. Blackman,
1862-63; M. T. Smedley, 1864-65; Zardis Kenyon, 1866;
J. W. McDonald, 1867; J. W. Simpson, 1868-70; L. R.
Grant, 1871-72; S. Boyd, 1873-75.

The church is at present in a prosperous condition, and
is under the efficient management of Rev. George H. Van
Vliet, who began his pastoral labors in 1876.

The present officers are as follows : Class-leaders, Charles
Erskine, John Tyler, Lyman Leonard, A. Brainard, Charles
Hicks, and Robert Aird ; Stewards, O. White, Robert
Aird, Lyman Leonard, Frank Willis, and Henry Tyler ;
Trustees, Robert Gates, Thomas Perry, and Martin Hess.
The church membership numbers one hundred and eighteen
in full connection, and twenty-four probationers.

There is a Union church lowited at Daysville, where a
Methodist Episcopal church class of sixty-three members
worship. This clas.s belongs to the South Richmond charge.
The size of the church edifice is twenty-four by thirty feet,
and it was erected at a cost of four hundred dollars.



220



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



The town of Richland embraces an area of 32,180 acres,
and the assessor's valuation of real estate and incorporated
companies is $1,728,525, and the equalized valuation is
$1,340,080. The assessor's valuation of personal estate is
$73,525. The total equalized valuation of real estate,
incorporated companies, and personal estate, is $1,413,005.

POPULATION.

The population of Richland in 1845 was 3758; in
1850, 4079; in 1855, 4012; in 1860, 4128; in 1865,
4137 ; in 1870, 3975 ; and in 1875, 4023.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



ROBERT LEROY INGERSOLL.

Robert L. Ingersoll is a native of New Berlin, Chenango
county, where he was born June 5, 1819. He came into
the town of Albion with his fiither, Ebenezer Ingersoll, in
1830. Like nianj of the prominent and successful business
men of to-day, Mr. Ingersoll received the rudiments of his
education at the district school, and although the educational
advantages of those early days were meagre, still he suc-
ceeded well in his studies and subsequently entered the
Mexico academy, where he pursued his studies with diligence
and attention, and succeeded in acquiring an education that
well fitted him for his subsequent successful business career.
At the close of his school days he purchased " his time" of
his father, — seven months for the sura of fifty dollars, — and
commenced busiuess for himself He formed a copartner-
ship with Elijah Shuraway in the manufacture of carriages
at Sandy Creek, and subsequently purchased his i)artner's
interest, and continued the business about five years, and
then removed to the village of Pulaski and established a
carriage-manuflictory. He conducted this business until
1872, when he disposed of it to Ingersoll & Suydam.

In 1854 he established the Pulaski bank and assumed
its presidency, in which capacity he ofiiciated until 1 862,
when the institution was discontinued. He then organized
the R. L. Ingersoll & Co.'s bank, and has since been actively
engaged in the banking business.

In 1842 he united in marriage with Caroline E. Clark,
a native of Jefferson county. Their family consists of six
children, viz., Leroy, George D., Anna A., Frank D., Fred
B., and Maud. George D. resides in this town ; Anna A.,
wife of Frank Dimock, resides in Quincy, Illinois ; Frank
D. in Michigan ; Fred B. in St. Catharines, Canada ; Maud
is unmarried.

Mr. Ingersoll is a positive character. While he is kind
and considerate to those with whom he has business relations,
still, when once determined upon a course, he never casts a
backward glance, but pursues it to a successful termination.
Though differing with many in various matters, they give
him credit for honesty of purpose. The element of invin-
cible determination is prominent in the character of Mr.
Ingersoll. Though he has no petty controversies, still in



his long business career he has become involved in heavy
litigations, but never had a judgment entered against him.
His line of conduct has been, —

" Beware of entrance to a quarrel ; but, being in, bcar't
that th' opposed may beware of thee."

His friends find in him a warm associate, and those with
whom he may chance to be opposed a " foeman worthy of
their steel." Politically he is a Democrat, and a vigorous
and uncompromising exponent of the principles of that
party. Mr. Ingersoll is essentially a self-made man, and
has through his own individual efforts become one of the
substantial men of the county.



CAPTAIN IRA DOANE

was born June 10, 1807, in Litchfield, Herkimer county,
New York. His father, John Doane, was a soldier in the
Revolutionary war ; enlisted immediately after the battle of
Bunker Hill, and served during the war. He was a pris-
oner eighteen months in a prison-ship in New York harbor.
The parents moved from Connecticut about 1798, and
eventually settled in Litchfield, Herkimer county, New
York.

Their children were six sons and two daughters, four of
whom are surviving, viz. : Mrs. Olivia Mason, residing in
Pulaski; Isaac, in Port Ontario; Harvey, in Michigan, and
the subject of our sketch.

The family moved to Orwell in May, 1821. The father
died January 9, 1831, the mother in 1845; both in
Pulaski.

Captain Doane was married October 24, 1830, to Audria
Vorce. Seven children were born to them, only two of
whom are living : a son, Helen F., and daughter, Martha
A., wife of L. D. Potter, son of John E. Potter. A son,
Henry G. Doane, was a member of the Thirty-fifth Regi-
ment New York Volunteers, and died at Elmira, New York.
His wife died June, 1853, and he was married to Julia
Vorce January 22, 1854, cousin of his first wife, and
daughter of Colonel William Vorce.

The early years of Captain Doane's life were spent as a
farmer, about twelve years as a carpenter and joiner, the
latter years as a merchant in Pulaski, and later still operating
in timber lands. He has been called to fill various offices
of public trust : president of the village, collector, jailor, and
under-sheriff, and inspector of customs in New York city,
may be mentioned among them.

A life-long Democrat, Captain Doane voted for General
Jackson and for the Democratic candidate at every presi-
dential election since. He built the house he occupies in
1865, and at the present time has retired from all active
business, in the enjoyment of a competency, the result of
years of hard labor, and the friendship and esteem of the
entire community.



JAMES N. BETTS, Ml).
Oswego County is noted for the proficiency and high
standard of its medical men, and none occupy a more de-



)



\



i




z^^^y-^^



/^



HISTORY OF OSWKCO COUNTY, NKW YOUK.



servedly popular position in the profession than Dr. James
N. Betts, of Pulaski. A residence of iicjirly a (|uarter of
a century there, during which time he has been in tlic
active practice of liis prolession, ha.s fully dcni



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 58 of 120)