Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 61 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 61 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


became aware that he was followed. After a while ho came
to a point he know, and took a " bee-line" towards home,
passing the house of Samuel Graham, who then lived where
Esquire Rowlee now does. Mr. Graham had just brought
home some nice sheep from Oneida county, and Ilubbaid
advised him to put them in the barn, offering at the same
time to help. Graham replied that lie was not afraid of
the wolves. That same night Uncle Tom's wolf came along
and took one of Mr. Graham's best sheep for his supper.

In early times the corn was often destroyed by " old
Bruin." To check his ravages, Mr. Hubbard went on foot
to Phineiis Chapin's, about two miles south of Jennings'



Cornere, after a bcar-tra]>, weighing sixty pounds, and brought
it home on his back. He had the pleasure of catching two
bears, the trap in one case being suspended on a tree seven
feet from the ground. Mr. Hubbard was a hard-working
pioneer, and has probably chopped and cleared more land
than any other man now living in town. He was elected a
justice of the peace in 1847, and served four years.

Samuel and Richard Graham came from Paris, Oneida
county, and settled near each other in 1811. The latter
was the father of Seth C. Graham, and located where his
son now resides. He was one of the officers elected at the
first town-meeting of Volney in 1812.

Oliver Burdick, father of Norman E. Burdick, came into
town in 1810, and located near Simpson's Corners. He was
elected assessor at the first town-meeting of Volney, was
appointed a justice of the peace in 1813 and again in 1821 ;
he was also appointed an associate judge of the common
pleas the latter year. He was elected .supervisor in 1814,
and was re-elected at various times, holding the oflSee in all
seventeen years. Only one supervisor in the county ex-
ceeded that time, which was Henry Williams, of Williams-
town, who held it twenty-two years. Mr. Burdick was very
economical in behalf of the town, which was doubtless the
reason for his being kept in office so long.

Jonathan Hooker settled opposite Burdick on (he old
Luther Wood place about 1810, and was one of the officers
elected at the first town-meeting of Volney in 1812. He
was appointed a justice of the peace in 1814 and 1820.

James Parker settled near Drake's Corners in 1811, and
voted at the first town-meeting of Volney in 1812. He is
now living on the south shore of Lake Neatah, in Granby,
at the age of eighty-nine, being the father of James Par-
ker, Jr., of Oswego Falls, and Linus Parker, of Volney.

Captain Joel Wright came from Columbia, Herkimer
county, and located on the Allen Wood place in 1811. lie
was one of the few who went with Captain Whitney to
Oswego in the war of 1812. After the war he received a
commission as captain, by which title he was afterwards
known. During all the latter part of his life his residence
was at Hubbard's Corners.

The Gaspers — John, Freeman, and Joseph — from Pitts-
field, Massachusetts, took up their places iu 1813. John
subsequently kept a hotel at Volney, and another still later
in Fulton. He is now living in Fulton, a sprightly old uuin
of eighty-five. Freeman lived a long time just east of
Hubbard's Corners, but for a few years past has resided at
Fulton. Joseph, the youngoet, delivered a Fourth of July
oration in Jonathan Hooker's barn in 1814 or '15, that
being the first effort of the kind in that locality. He died
several years ago.

Ira Ives came into town in 181."), and is still living where
he first located.

James Bundy settled just below the " Orchard Lock" in
1810. His brother Elisha came soon after, and settled at
" Buudy's Crossing," that name being derived from him.
David Osborn and Eliplialet Trembly came from Albany
and located near the " Orchard Lock" in 1813.

Jason S. Markham, from Madison county, is another of
the early settlers, a blacksmith by trade, who, by industry
and economy, has acijuired a competency. Simeon Coe



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



at Strong's Corners in 1812, and died in Palermo in
1832. He was the father of Mrs. Cornelius Miller, of
Granby, and Mrs. Griswold at North Volney. John Ken-
dall, father of Jacob and Otis Kendall, settled just east of
Volney Centre in 1812.

In 1811 three families located in the south part of the
town, then known as the " sixteenth township ;" thoseof Adin
Breed, Josiah Smith, and Alvin Wheelock. The first named
was from Litchfield, Herkimer county, and settled on the
farm now owned by Mrs. Parker. He held many town offices,
and finally moved to Three Rivers point. Mr. Smith came
from the same town, and settled on the f:\rm now owned by
E. Peckham. Harvey W. Smith, now one of the oldest
residents of the town, is one of his sons.

Mr. Wheelock ;ilso came from Litchfield, and located on
the farm now owned by L. B. Babcock. Abram Bell came
from Massachusetts in 1813, and also settled in the south
part of the town.

It would be impracticable in a mere general sketch of a
town so early settled as Volney to mention individual set-
tlers who came after the war of 1812, and, doubtless, the
names of many who came before that era have escaped our
research.

Slaves were owned here as late as 1817, and probably
later. On the town records is the following entry :

" I certify that Bell, a negro woman, a slave belonging
to me, had a male child on the 27th day of July last, whose
name is Richard, or Dick.

(Signed) " James Lyon.

" VoLNEV, 26th February, 1817."

The following note to the above was also placed on the
records by Joseph Easton, town clerk :

" In order to save himself from incurring a penalty it
became necessary for Mr. Lyon to have the above certificate
recorded. An act for the gradual abolition of slavery was
passed by the legislature of this State in March, 1799. Male
children born after the act to be free at the age of twenty-
eight years, and females at the age of twenty-five. In April,
1813, that act was modified, declaring such persons no
longer slaves but servants of the owner of the mother, — the
relation to be the same as if such child had been bound by
the overseer of the poor. It was provided by the twenty-
second section of the same act that the person entitled to
such service incurred a penalty of five dollars if he failed
to furnish the city or town clerk with a certificate of the
name, age, and sex of such child within nine months after
its birth."

Peter Sharpe had one of these slaves, who furnished the
music for the dance at Van Valkeuburgh's, as before nar-
rated. The major's house was the " headquarters," pre-
vious to 1810, of all the country round about, whither the
people came for dances, picnics, jollifications, and every-
thing else of that sort, — the colored servants furnishing the
music when nothing better could be obtained.

The first town-meeting of Fredericksburgh was held at
the house of Major Van Valkenburgh, at the '' Orchard
Lock," in the spring of 1807, and the following town
ofiicers were elected: Supervisor, Ebenezer Wright; Town
Clerk, Samuel Tiffany; Assessors, Gideon Seymour, Henry



Everts, and Hiel Stone ; Overseers of the Poor, Lawrence
Van Valkenburgh and Asahel Bush ; Commissioners of
Highways, Abram Van Valkenburgh, John Tyler, and
Hiel Stone ; Collector, Abram Van Valkenburgh ; Consta-
bles, Abram Van Valkenburgh and Joseph F. Sweet ;
Fence-viewers, Lawrence Van Valkenburgh, Asahel Bu.sh,
John Tyler, William Burt, Joseph F. Sweet, and Elisha
Whitney ; Pound-masters, Lawrence Van Valkenburgh and
John Tyler.

Tiffany, Everts, Stone, Bush, Tyler, Sweet, Burt, and
Whitney lived in the present town of Scriba, — the others
resided in what is now Volney.

Ebenezer Wright was re-elected in 1808-11, being the
sole supervisor of Fredericksburgh.

The town clerks of Fredericksburgh were Samuel Tif-
fany, 1807-9; John Waterhouse, 1810-11.

The first town-meeting of Volney was held at the house
of Major Van Valkenburgh, March 3, 1812, when the fol-
lowing officers were elected : Supervisor, Samuel Holland ;
Town Clerk, John Waterhouse; Assessors, Ebenezer
Wright, Oliver Burdick, and Stephen Gardner ; Poor-mas-
ters, Samuel Holland and Gideon Candee ; Commissioners
of Highways, Phineas Chapin, Jonathan Hooker, and Na-
thaniel Foster ; Collector, Asa Whitney ; Constables, Asa
Whitney, Richard M. Graham, and Joseph Sutton ; Path-
masters, Thomas Vickery, Noah A. Whitney, Josiah IMey-
ers, James Bundy, Gideon Seymour, Aaron Dodge, Syl-
vanus Hopkins, Jonathan Hooker, and Richard M. Graham.

Chapin and Hopkins resided in the present town of Pa-
lermo, Sutton and Vickery in the present town of Schroep-
pel.

Town-meetings were held from 1807 to 1812, inclusive,
at Van Valkenburgh's. In 1813-14 at Amos Foster's. In
1815 at Noah Rust's. From that time until 1830 they
were held at Volney Centre; in the school-house until 1831 ;
then at John Gasper's hotel till 1835, and at Jeremiah
Hull's in 1836, at the same place. In 1836, 1838, and
1840 at Hull's. In 1839 it was held at S. H. De Graw's,
Fulton; in 1838 and 1840 at Hull's again; in 1839,
1841-45, 1847, 1851, and 1852 at John Gasper's hotel,
Fulton. In 1848-50 at Elliott Harroun's, Fulton. In
1853 opposite to Gasper's, and in 1854 at the engine-
house. From 1855 to 1866 the meetings were held at
Empire hall, after that time for three years at the engine-
house, and since then at Salmon's hall.

Siipervisors.^Siamne] Holland, 1812 ; Isaac Crocker,
1813 and 1815; Oliver Burdick, 1814, 1816, 1818-30,
1834-35 ; Joseph Easton, 1817 ; George F. Falley, 1831-
33, 1843; Aaron G. Fish, 1836, 1840-41; Darius R.
Bellows, 1837 ; Wm. Ingall, 1838-39 ; Peter H. Keller,
1842, 1844; John Parker, 1845-46; Lovwell Johnson,
1847-49 ; John J. Wolcott, 1850, 1852-54, 1859 ; Hiram
H. Coats, 1851 ; A. C. Livingston, 1855 ; Samuel F. Case,
1856-57 ; Wm. P. P. Woodin, 1858 ; Willard John.son,
1860-61 ; Gardner Wood, 1862-64 ; John H. Woodin,
1863; Chauncey B. Hancock, 1865; Henry C.Howe,
1866-67, 1869-70; Abraham Howe, 1868; J. Gilbert
Benedict, 1871; Charles J. DeGraw, 1872; Henry E.
Nichols, 1873, 1876-77; George D. Foster, 1874; John
W. Francis, 1875; in all, twenty-seven.





Samuel Hart.



Mrs.Samucl Hart.




fffOKT VIEW or PontFiY



Residcncc of S.Hart, first street, Fulton, Hew Yohic.





"^M. D. Fau^rson.



MrS.Wm. 0. fAlTZRSON.




F^ESiocucn or Wm. D.PAJTtRSON, Fulton, Comi.R 8'" Ar,j Onhioa Stueits



lIISTOltY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NKW Y(»1!K.



231



Town Clerks.— Jo\\i\ Wntcilumsc, 1S12 ; Jeremiah Tay-
lor, 1813; Amos BMiop, 1S14; Juscpli Easton, 1815-16;
James Lyon, 1817; Elislia Candee, 1818-22; Elijah
Goodell, 1823-26; Darius R. Bellows, 1827-32; Samuel
Dean, 1833; Richard 1). Hubbard, 1834-35; Hiram
Bradway, 1836-40; James D. Lasber, 1841-42, 1844;
John J. Wolcott, 1843; Albert Taylor, 1845-48; Charles
A. Dean, 1849; Andrew Hanna, 1850; Melvin F. Ste-
]hens, 1851 ; Richard E. Lusk, 1852; S. N. Dada,1853-
54 ; Solon H. Clough, 1855; Wm. P. P. Wpodin, 1856-
57 ; Henry H. Haynes, 1858 ; Orville J. Jennings, 1859 ;
■\Villiam Andrews, 1860; Morris C. Highritcr, 1861-62,
1872-75; George Backus, 1863; Henry C. Howe, 1864-
65; Charles H. David, 1866 ; Henry E. Nichols, 1867,
1869-70; John C. Highriter, Jr., 1868; Arvin Rice, Jr.,
1871 ; Amos Youmans, 1876-77.

Justices of the Peace. — Ebenezer Wright, a resident of
the present town of Volney, was appointed a justice for
Jlexieo, in 1804. Those appointed for Fredericksburgh
were Samuel Tiffany (of the present town of Scriba), 1808,
Ebenezer Wright, and Noah A. Whitney, 1809 ; Abrara
Van Valkenburgh and Gideon Candee, 1810; John Dean
and Joseph Whitney, 1811. The justices appointed for
Volney, with the time of their appointments, were as fol-
lows: Isaac Crocker, 1813; Oliver Burdiek, 1813-1821;
John Dean and Joseph Whitney, 1814; John Bristol,
1814 and 1816 ; Jonathan Hooker, 1814 and 1820 ; Joseph
Easton, 1815, 1820, 1822; Daniel Fallcy, 1815; Kings-
bury E. Sanford, 1819 and 1821 ; Allen Gilbert, 1820 ;
Elijah Goodell, 1820, 1823, and 1825; Henry Chapin,
1823; Humphrey Dolbear, 1824; Leman Carrier, 1824;
Adin Breed, 1826. When justices were made elective in
1827, David Jennings was chosen for one year, Theodore
F. Ronieyn for two years, Jeremiah Hull for three years, j
Joseph Eiuston for four years. Adin Breed was elected |
in 1828, Lovwell Johnson in 1829, Samuel Merry in 1830,
Joseph Easton 1831, Walter Peck, 1832. Schroeppel I
and Palermo having been taken off in 1832, four justices
were elected in 1833 : Adin Breed for one year, Ephraim
Beardsley for two, Edward Baxter for three, and Aaron G.
Fish for four. Subsequent elections have been as follows :
James Abrams, Jr., and Darius A. Bellows in 1834;
Ephraim Beardsley, 1835, 1839, 1843 ; Richard D. Hub-
bard, 1836; A. G. Fish, 1837; Robert Simpson, 1838;
James Crombie, 1839, 1841, for four years ; Elbert Holmes,
1840; John D. Stephens, 1842, 1845, 1849; Horace N.
Gaylord, 1842, 1846, 1850, and 1858; John Forsyth,
1844; Thomas Hubbard, Jr., 1847; Hubbard Church,
(vacancy), 1847 ; Lorenzo K. Renyon, 1848 ; John De AVolf,
1851 ; 0. O. Shumway, 1852, 1856 ; Samuel Crombie,
1853, 1857, 1861, 1869, 1873; R. Geo. Bassett, 1854,
1862, 1866, 1870, 1874; Freeman S. Ga.sper, 1855; F.
W. Squires, 1859, 1867, 1871; William C. Stephens,
1860, 1865; Ovid V. Taft, 1863, 1875; Joseph Esmond,
1864; E. S. Pardee, 1868 ; E. R. Huggins, 1872; Arvin
Rice, Jr., 1876; Andrew Hanna, 1877; L. R. Chapel,
1877. Of the above-named justices Oliver Burdiek, Joseph
Easton, and Lovwell Johnson were associate judges of the
common pleas. Only two have served as justices of ses-
sions : R. G. Bassett in 1869 and 1870, and F. \V. S(iuires



in 1875. William G. St. John served as collector of Vol-
ney no less than twenty-two years between 1833 and 1874.

I'OST flKKlCKS.

OswKQO Falls.— This was established in the fall of
1810, with Noah A. Whitney as postmaster. Jain&s Lyon
succeeded Mr. Whitney Ajiril 1, 1815, and held the office
until its discontinuance, February 14, 1829.

Volney. — This was established December 31, 1825,
John Bristol being the first postmaster. Samuel Griswoid
was appointed April 22, 1830; Horace N. Gaylord, April
25, 1835; Jeremiah Hull, January 29, 1841; Samuel
Griswoid, July 3, 1841 ; Stephen Pardee, July 19, 1845;
Samuel Griswoid, June 6, 1849; Jacob Piper, September
15, 1853 ; George S. Babcock, January 3, 1859; Samuel
Griswoid, October 7,1861; R. Geo. Ba.'^sett, October 21,
1862 ; Dr. R. C. Baldwin.

Fulton.— Established May 29, 1826, wi'h Lewis Fal-
ley as postmaster. M. Lindley Lee was appointed June
22, 1841; Hiram Bradway, October 20, 1844; George
Mitchell, June 23, 1849; "Albert Taylor, April 9, 1853.
The office was made a presidential one February 21, 1856,
and Albert Taylor was re-appointed. William B. Shaw
was appointed July 27, 1857 ; Allan C. Livingston, April
17, 1861; Thomas W. Clie.sebro, March 13, 1871, and
Charles T. Bennett, April 22, 1875.

North Volney. — This office was established in Febru-
ary, 1859, with John Campbell as postmaster, the first mail
leaving the office February 19. F. W. Si|uires succeeded
Mr. Campbell in October, 1861, and has held the office ever
since.

Ingall's CaossiNf). — Office established March 25,
1870, with William F. Ingall as postmaster.

Bundy's Crossing. — This office was established in 1871,
with Edward B. McCulloch as postmaster. These two last
offices are on the Midland railroad.

Mount Pleasant. — This office was established about
1872, with Joel Wright as postmaster. It was discontinued
in 1876.

SECRET SOCIETIES.

Of these, outside of Fulton, there have been but three,
which were divisions of Sons of Temperance, situated respec-
tively at Volney Centre, at North Volney, and at Bundy's,
in the northwe.'it part of the town. Only the la.>



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 61 of 120)