Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 62 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 62 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of Eunice, wife of Joseph Moss, who died in 1815. The
oldest marble slab is at the grave of Gideon Seymour, who
died early in 1817, at the age of thirty-five. The oldest
stone in North Volney cemetery is at the grave of Mrs.
Walter Haynes, who died in 1829. The other cemeteries
are at Hubbard's Corners and in the south part of the town.

CHEESE-FACTORIES.

There are four in town: one at Volney Centre, one in the
south part of town, one at Hubbard's Corners, and at Battle
island.

BRIDGES.

The first of which we have any knowledge was built
about 1814, just above the "Upper Landing," extending
from the east side to Yelverton island, and thence to the
west side. It was a toll-bridge, and one of the early toll-
collectoi-s was Mr. John Schenck, father of M. B. Schenck,
and brother of William.

The second bridge across the river, also a toll-bridge, was
built in 1826, aud stood very near the present lower iron
bridge in Fulton. It passed through many changes and
repairs before being removed for a better one.

The third one was built at the falls in 1849, mainly by
Colonel Voorhees, of Lysander, Onondaga county, and stood
about where the present iron bridge stands. The fourth is
the present fine iron structure extending from Nelson's



mill to the Granby side of the river, and built in 1871.
The fiflh is also an iron bridge, six miles below Fulton,
crossing the river between Seneca hill and Minetto, and
built in 1872. The sixth and last is likewise of iron, built
at the falls the .same year. The three bridges last named
cost from $18,000 to $21,000 each, the county paying one-
third of the expense, and the towns of Volney, Granby, and
Oswego one-third each, for the two upper ones, and Volney
and Oswego one-third each for the lower one.

The po])ulation of Volney, including Fulton, in 1850,
was 5310; in 18G0, 8040; in 1870, G5G5 ; in 1875, 5775.

VILLAGE OF FULTON.

The early history of events occurring within the present
corporate limits of Fulton has been given in the preceding
excellent history of the town of Volney, written by F. W.
Squires, Esq. The publishers subjoin the following sketch
of later events and institutions in this prosperous village.

Mr. William Schenck, who came to this village in 1812,
states that twelve buildings were standing at that time
within the present corporate limits of Pulton exclusive of
the Upper and Lower Landings.

The first building erected was on Oneida street, and
stood near the east end of the present Nelson mills. One
of the first buildings in the village occupied the site of the
present residence of Oliver French, on First street, and the
other buildings were in that immediate vicinity, but their
exact location is not known.

The business of the village was cimfined to the Upper and
Lower Landinprs until the year 1825, when, the legi.slature of
the State having appropriated one hundred and sixty thou-
sand dollars for the purpose of building the Oswego canal,
the location of the present village proper attracted the at^
tention of various business men, and among them Lewis
Falley, who became the first merchant, and occupied a
building which stood on the present site of the Nelson coal
office. The next mercantile firm was Cady, Ca.se & Co.,
who offered their wares in a building occupying the present
location of Howe's law-office. Other early merchants who
located during 1825 and 1826 were Leonard,, Whitaker,
Douglass & Comstock, the Tousey Brothei-s, Oliver Bur-
dick, John J. Wolcott, Chas. Tucker, and probably a few
others whose names are not remembered.

The corner-stone of the first lock on the Oswego canal
was laid in this village, with Ma.sonic ceremonies, July 4,
1826, in the midst of a large concourse of people, the ad-
dress being delivered by Hon. David P. Brewster, of Os-
wego. The Declaration of Independence was read by Peter
Schenck, and the chaplain on the occasion was a Rev. Mr.
Irwin, a Methodist clergyman. Hastings Curtis officiated
as marshal of the day, and K. E. Sanford assistant.

The completion of the canal, in 1828, ushered in an im-
portant era in the history of Fulton, and from that time to
the present it has kept abreast with the rapid progress of
the county, and to-day is ranked among the more plea-sant
and pro.sperous villages of which northern New York can
so truthfully boast.

THE FIR.ST CHARTER.

In 18.35 Fulton had so far increajsed in population and



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



importance that it was deemed necessary it should partake
of the privileges and immunities of an incorporated village.
Consequently, on the 29th day of April, 1835, it was char-
tered and its boundaries designated as follows : " Beginning
at the southwest corner of the State reservation at Oswego
Falls ; thence along the south and east sides thereof to
State street ; thence along the public highway northeasterly
to the four corners at the eastern boundary of Steen's loca-
tion ; thence along the line of said location to the north
line thereof; thence west to the centre of the Oswego river ;
thence along the centre of said river to the place of begin-
ning." The boundaries have subsequently been enlarged
at several different times. Aaron G. Fish was the first
president of the village, and J. H. Woodin is the present
president.

The following constitute the present board of trustees :
AV. S. Nelson, Willard Curtis, Hugh McKernan, M. F.
Crahan, Myron Havens, and Prentice Youmans.

EARLY SCHOOLS.

The pioneers of Fulton not only manifested a praise-
worthy interest in religious matters, but the subject of edu-
cation early claimed their attention, and in 1800 the first
school was taught by Artemisia Waterhouse, — subsequently
]\Irs. Brackett, — at what was then called the Lower Land-
ing. A Mr. McDonald and Ebenezer Wright were early
teachers on the " peninsula."

In 1808, Asahel Bush, residing at Seneca Hill, employed
Benjamin Robinson, of Onondaga county, to teach the
school at a salary of si.xteen dollars per month. He opened
a school in that neighborhood and continued it one year
and three months. Among his patrons are mentioned the
names of Samuel Tiffany, the two Sharps, and Elisha
Bundy, Sr. This primitive pedagogue next taught in a
barn at Major Van Valkenburgh's, on the peninsula, in 1810.

Major Van Valkenburgh was much interested in educa-
tional matters, and after the erection of the school-house,
which was mainly due to his individual efforts, Mr. Robin-
son taught in the building about three years, and numbered
among his scholars John Volkert, Jacob and David Van
Buren, Andrew, Betsey, Lydia, and Nicholas Althouse.

In 1811 a school-house was erected on Steen's location,
which stood on the corner of First and Rochester streets,
and was designed to accommodate the entire settlement ;
the district was, however, subsequently divided, each land-
ing constituting a separate district.

A Mr. Brockway taught a select schooi at the Upper
Landing in 1828. The principal patrons of the school
were James Lyon, I. Brackett, Van Dorn, and Jonathan
Case. Among the pupils of that school are mentioned the
names of Charles G. Case, Edward Lyon, and Ann Case,
subsequently the wife of Dr. Lee.

In 1830 a select school was opened here by Daniel
McEwen. It was very prosperous, and among its scholars
were William P. Curtiss, Henry Kendall, Josiah Arnold,
James F. Hubbard, Henry C. Moody, R. K. Sanford,
Memory Case, S. F. Case, J. W. Pratt, Phebe Pratt, S. A.
French, Cornelia E. Case, Elizabeth Hubbard, Sarah Water-
house, Elizabeth Wright, D. A. Curtiss, Charlotte Saunnons,
Colie Thonqjsun, Thomas Mitchell, and Ann McEwen.



In 1830 and 1831, Miss Gardner taught the district
school at the Upper Landing, and in 1831 she kept a select
school, and in 1833 opened a school on the corner of Oneida
and Third streets. She is remembered as a lady of fine at-
tainments. She subsequently went as a missionary to
India, where she died.

FALLEY SEMINARY.

This institution was commenced in 1834 by Rev. John
Eastman, M.A., then pastor of the Presbyteiian church of
Fulton, and in 1836 was incorporated as the Fulton female
seminary. The first trustees were John Eastman, A. G.
Fish, Thomas R. Brayton, John E. Dutton, George Salmon,
M. Lindley Lee, Israel P. Knox, Chauncy Betts, Henry
Westfall, Henry Pearson, Samuel Merry, and Lemuel
Dada.

The regents of the University of the State of New York
have supervised and bestowed upon it a share of the litera-
ture fund since 1839.

To promote the education of both sexes, its corporate
title was changed April 11, 1842, to "The Fulton Acad-
emy;" and, to extend still further its usefulness, was altered,
April 11, 1849, to "The Falley Seminary of the Black
River Conference."

As the Hon. George F. Falley, deceased in June, 1847,
had been its munificent patron from its incorporation, and
as his widow, Mrs. Mehetable E. Falley, had donated four
thoiisand dollars towards the erection of its large brick
edifice, in 1849-50, the trustees desired it to perpetuate
the name of these donors.

The lot upon which the building was erected was the
gift of Colonel James L. Voorhees.

In the year 1869 the Rev. James Gilmour became the
principal. of the school. Since that time he has been at its
head, assisted by a corps of experienced teachers and pro-



The present faculty is as follows : Rev. James Gilmour,
A.M., principal ; Miss Julia Doubleday, preceptress ; Pro-
fessor A. E. Chapman, teacher of classics ; Miss Jennie
Palmentier, teacher of piano ; Miss E. V. Gilmour, teacher
of organ and piano.

The school still maintains its high character as a first-
class educational institution, and furnishes a good home
and thorough instruction to young ladies and gentlemen.

THE PRESENT SCHOOLS.

The village of Fulton is divided into two school districts,
Nos. 1 and 2. The former embraces the south part, and
the latter the north part of the village. The school build-
ing belonging to district No. 1 is a two-story brick struc-
ture. This school is managed by one trustee, and employs
three teachers. The present trustee is E. G. Rice, and the
present teachers are Frank E. Simons, principal ; Augusta
Easton, preceptress; Emma Poole, assistant preceptress.

District No. 2. — This district has two school buildings,
one located on Fourth street, and the other on Ontario
street. The district is under the management of a board
consisting of three trustees.

Efforts have been made at different times to unite the two
districts and organize a union school, and place it under the



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



general control and management of a board of education, but
thus far the scheme has met with no success. In the year
1867, when the principal school building iu district No. 2 was
burned, a movement was started having this purpose iu view,
and upon this fiiiling to consummate the union, district No. 2
resolved to erect a suitable building for school purposes, and
one that should reflect honor upon themselves as well as
upon the village and county. The movement thus started
resulted in the erection of the present fine building. It
was erected in 18G8 and 18G9, under the supervision of
Messrs. J. J. Wolcott, Alanson Looniis, and W. B. Shaw,
trustees. The structure is complete in all its appointments,
and is one of the finest and most substantial school build-
ings in the State. The grounds and buildings cost thirty-
five thousand dollars.

The school was opened in 1869, with L. P. Stevens as
principal. The following have served in that capacity, from
the resignation of Mr. Stevens to the present time, viz. :
Clayton Wells, Richard Smith, A. E. Tuttle, John Kelley,
Mr. Buckingham, Robert Simpson, W. H. Coats.

The present board of trustees is conipo.sed of the follow-
ing persons: Amos Youmans, Andrew Hanna, and H. H.
Hay nets.

The present faculty is as follows : W. H. Coates, Princi-
pal; M. L. Lawrence, Hattie T. Royce, Senior; A. E. Ball,
A. Junior; E. J. Sis.son, B. Junior; M. F. Highriter, C.
Junior ; E. A. King, A. Primary ; E. L. Lasher, B. Pri-
mary ; E. Howard, C. Primaiy.

Ontario Street School— E. J. Becker, Junior; C.
Spencer, Primary.

The course of study pursued in these schools is one
which experience has shown to be adapted to the wants of
the largest number of pupils. They are now in a pros-
perous condition, and justly merit the reputation they have
attained of ranking among the best educational institutions
of northern New York.

THE MILLS AND MANIIF.\CTURES.

The unsurpassed water-power afforded by the Oswego
river at this point early attracted business men and capi-
talists, and to-day Fulton ranks among the first manufac-
turing villages in the State of New York.

The Oswego river is an even-flowing stream, gathered
up from the drainage of six thousand square miles, in-
cluding all the lakes of any considerable size in the western
part of the State, except Chautauqua, which serve as vast
reservoirs to garner the water in the rainy season and yield
it up during the dry months. This peculiarity will be
made apparent when it is stated that there is only about
four feet variation between the extremes of high and low
water. At this point the river is about two hundred and
fifty yards wide, flowing over a rock bottom — bounded by
high banks — and in a volume, as computed by State engi-
ne;ers, of one hundred and thirty thousand cubic feet per
minute at low water.

Within the corporation limits of Fulton, and about half
a mile apart, are two stone dams, laid in cement, erected
and maintained by the State for canal purposes. Thus the
entire stream, except a moiety necessary for purposes of
navigation, can all be made available for the prupul.-^ion of



machinery twice over within the distance of less than a
mile, where there is in the aggregate a fall of thirty-eight
leet.

The Genesee Mills. — These mills were erected in
1832, by Henry and Oliver French. They were burned in
1852, and rebuilt by James N. Baker & Co., and the large
addition was made by W. S. Nelson & Co., the present
proprietors, in 1867. These mills have ten run of stone,
with a grinding capacity of one thousand barrels per day.
The storage capacity of the elevator is one. hundred thou-
sand bushels, and the storage capacity of the mill is five
thousand barrels of flour. The building is eighty by one
hundred and fifty feet in size. Employ twenty men.

Riverside Mills, erected in 1856, by H. H. and H.
N. Gilbert, and known as the Oswego River mills. After
the first year it was owned by Vannagenen & Gilbert. In
about the year 1861 it burned down, and was rebuilt by
H. H. Gilbert, and soon after named the Empire mills.
It has since been owned in part by the following persons
successively, viz. : H. N. Gilbert, Rufus Downs, I. A.
Graves, D. M. Perine, W. G. Gage, E. J. Carington, and
F. A. Gage. An addition of nearly double the original
size was added in 1871 by its present owners, W. G. Gage
& Co., when it received the name of Riverside mills.
These mills have six run of stone, with a capacity of three
hundred barrels per day ; employ ten men. The elevator,
in connection with the mill, has a storing capacity of
seventy thousand bushels, and a receiving capacity of fifteen
hundred bushels per hour.

Volney Mill, erected in 1858, by II. N. Gilbert, joint
owner with John Van Buren and J. J. Wolcott, and run
as a custom-mill. It has four run of stone. The mill at
present is not in operation.

Fulton Mills, erected in 1866, by Horace N. Gilbert,
for the firm of Gilbert, Smith & Wright. Soon after it
passed into the hands of Gilbert & Wright, and was con-
ducted by them until 1871, when the firm became Perine
& Wright, the present proprietors. These mills have four
run of stone, with a grinding capacity of two hundred bar-
rels per day ; employ five men. The elevator in connec-
tion has a storage capacity of thirty thousand bu.shels, and
a receiving capacity of fifteen hundred bushels per hour.

St. Louis Mills, erected in 1867, by D. W. Gardner
& L. C. Seymour, the present proprietors. These mills
have five run of stone, with a grinding capacity of two
hundred and fifty barrels per day ; employ ten men.

Far.mer's Mills were erected in 1868, by R. N. Hoff
& Co., and continued by them until 1876, when it came
into the possession of the present firm, Messrs. Conger &
Hoff. Three run of stone, with a capacity of two hundred
bushels per day ; emplny four men.

The Osweoo River Mills, owned by Gilbert Brothci-s,
located on the Oswego canal, is three stories in height and
forty by eighty feet in size. The power is obtained from
across the street, from a large turbine-wheel, and conveyed
by means of a wire cable running through the air. It con-
tains four run of stone. In connection with this mill is an
elevator, which not only does the work for this mill, but
lifts the grain for the Farmer's mill and for the extensive
St. Louis mill.^;, and conveys it to their doors, a distance of



236



HISTOKY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



more than two hundred feet. The proprietors, Messrs. H.
N., N. H., and A. G. Gilbert, are all practical millwrights,
and have built four of the seven flouring-mills in Fulton.
The senior member of the firm, Horace N. Gilbert, came
to this village in 1855, and has since been actively engaged
in advancing the material intere.sts of Fulton, and is entitled
to much credit for his indefatigable efforts in aiding all
measures designed to benefit the milling interests.

Taylor Brothers & Co., manufacturers of planing
and moulding knives, paper-mill engines, etc. — This enter-
prise was started in 1864, by W. E. Taylor, F. S. Taylor,
and J. G. Benedict, and was continued by them until 1867,
when Mr. F. S. Taylor disposed of his interest to the other
members of the firm. It was managed by this firm until
1872, when Mr. H. L. Taylor became associated with
them, and the business is now conducted by W. E. Taylor,
J. G. Benedict, and H. L. Taylor. The establishment em-
ploys ten men, and the annual product of manufactured
goods amounts to nearly thirty thousand dollars.

Fulton Foundry and Machine-Shop, Frank Dilts,
proprietor. — This foundry was established in 1867 by Mr.
Dilts, and the machine-shop by James McDonough. In
1870 the entire establishment came into the possession of
the present proprietor. The value of the annual product
ranges from ten to twenty thousand dollars. Employs from
seven to twenty men. Manufiictures turbine-wheels, paper-
mill engines, etc.

Ross' Foundry and Machine-Shop. — This establish-
ment was founded in 1863, by John E. Button, E. C.
Cummings, R. K. Sanford, Sidney M. Smith, and J. G.
Benedict. It was continued by this firm one year, when
John E. Button disposed of his interest to Messrs. Sanford
& Benedict. In 1865 a further change was made, when
Cummings & Benedict sold their shares to Mr. Sanfoid
and W. R. Wasson, and the business was then conducted
under the firm-name of Sanford & Wasson until 1868,
when it was organized as a stock company, with a capital
of one hundred and fifty thousand dollf.rs, under the name
of the " Fulton Manufacturing Company," E. P. Ross,
president, W. C. Ruger, secretary, and R. K. Sanford, su-
perintendent. Mr. Sanford was soon after succeeded by
William Wasson. The entire establishmant subsequently
passed into the hand.s of E. P. Ross, and is now owned by
him, and the business is conducted by E. W. Ross & Co.
The business was started for the purpose of manufacturing
the " Cummings Straw-Cutter," agricultural implements,
etc. This is a large establishment, and is furnished with
excellent machinery.

Planing-Mill, Jame.s F. Herrick, proprietor. — This
building was erected in 1870, and occupied as a machine-
shop until 1870, when it was changed to a planing-mill and
bedstead-factory, and operated by A. T. & J. H. Loomis.
It was conducted by them until about 1875, when it went
into the possession of L. Loomis, and is now owned by his
estate. The mill is furnished with good machinery, and
has a capacity for planing twenty thousand feet of lumber
per day.

Mason & Company's Planing-Mill. — Mr. Ma.son
started a tub- and pail-factory in this village in about the
year 1807. In 1871 it was destroyed by fire, and he then



erected the present planing-mill, and in 1875 furnished it
with tub and pail machinery.

Paper-Mill. — This mill was erected in 1850 by Mon-
roe & Case. It subsequently came into the possession of
R. H. Bullis, then Beyam & BuUis, and when the fire
occurred in 1871 it was owned by Beyam & Waugh. The
mill was rebuilt by Mr. Van Alstyne, and afterwards a
portion passed into the possession of Mr. Reed. It is now
owned by Waugh & Hammond.

In addition to the above there is a carriage-manufactory
owned by R. H. Harris & Son ; a carding-mill operated by
0. J. Thayer ; a saw-mill owned by E. P. Ross ; and two
plaster-mills, one erected in 1850, now owned by E. P.
Ross, and the other in 1865, and owned by Gage, Garlock
&Co.

THE FIRST national BANK.

This banking institution was organized as the Oswego
River bank in the year 1855, with John J. Wolcott pres-
ident, and D. W. Gardner cashier. January 19, 1865, it
was reorganized as a National bank. M. Lindley Lee was
elected president in 1870, and remained in that capacity
until his death, which occurred in May, 1876. The ofiice
of president then remained vacant until January 9, 1877,
when R. H. Tyler was duly elected to that position, and is
the present incumbent. D. W. Gardner is the present
cashier of the bank, and has officiated in that capacity since
its inception in 1855. The bank was organized with a
capital of one hundred and fourteen thousand five hundred
dollars, and upon its reorganization as a National bank this
capital was increased to one hundred and fifteen thousand
dollars. June 21, 1877, it was reduced to fifty-seven thou-
sand dollars. Present surplus, ten thousand dollars.

THE citizens' NATIONAL BANK.

In 1852 the charter and privileges of the Bank of
Camden, Oneida county, were purchased and transferred to
Fulton, and organized as the Citizens' bank of Fulton,
with a capital of one hundred thousand dollars. The fol-
lowing constituted the first board of directors, viz., Charles
G. Case, Samuel Hart, Willard Johnson, R. C. Kenyon, S.
N. Kenyon, H. H. Coats, George Grosvenor, George Sal-
mon, T. W. Chesebro, J. J. Wolcott, J. W. Pratt, J. H.
Reynolds, and Edwin Rockwell. George Grosvenor, of
Rome, was chosen cashier and manager of the bank, and
occupied that position until 1857, when Amos H. Bradley
was elected. In 1802 the capital stock was increased to its
present amount, one hundred and sixty-six thousand one
hvindred dollars, and Samuel F. Case was chosen president.
In May, 1865, the bank was reorganized as a National
bank. The officers remained the same under the new or-
ganization until April 1, 1867, when Charles G. Case was
elected president, and Samuel F. Case cashier, positions
which they occupied until their deaths. Samuel F. died
in July, 1869, and was succeeded by the present cashier,
George M. Case, and Charles G. died in December, 1875,
and was succeeded by the present president, Thomas W.
Chesebro.

FULTON SAVINGS BANK

was incorporated March 29, 1871, with the following offi-
cers : President, Sands N. Kenyon ; Vice-Presidents, B. J.



HISTORY OF OSWKOO COUNTY, NKW YORK.



Dyer, H. H. Merriam, Ira Carrier ; Attorney, E. S. Pardee ;
Secretary, Abraham A. Howe ; Treasurer, C. G. Bacon.

The following is the present board of trustees : Sands N.
Kenyon, James H. Towusend, W. S. Nelson, J. W. Pratt,
A. Dean, J. C. Wells, H. H. Merriam, B. J. Dyer, M. S.
Kimball, Hiram Bradway, Abraham Howe, H. N. Somers,
Dr. S. Pardee, Calvin Osgood, Dr. C. G. Bacon, J. E.
Harroun, Willard Johnson, George M. Case, William Dex-
ter, Ira Carrier, W. D. Patterson.

The following changes have occurred in the offices of the
bank, viz., Ira Carrier as vice-president vice H. H. Mer-
riam ; Abraham A. Howe, secretary, vice Charles K. Howe ;
S. N. Kenyon, treasurer, vice C. G. Bacon.

THE FIRE DEPARTMENT.

This department was organized April 10, 1857, with the
following-named wardens : Dixon Van Valkenburgh, Abial
T. Loomis, James Peyden, Thomas Reeves, Abial W. Laws,
and John W. Knox. The department as at present organ-
ized is composed of two engine companies and one hook-
and-ladder company. The steamers have sixty men each,
and the hook-andladder company forty men.

The present members are C. M. Sabin, W. J. Watson,
H. L. Taylor, and Robert Stowe. Present officers : Newel
H. Gilbert, chief; George Calkins, first assistant chief;



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 62 of 120)