Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 80 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 80 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


say, no business houses but cheese-factories and saw-mills.
The former have been mentioned ; of the latter there are
the large one of Post & Henderson, on Salmon river, above
the falls; the steam saw-mills of William Beecher & Gridley,
north of the Chateaugay road ; those of Hiram Snow &
VauJry, north of Voree ; also the mill of George Caster,
on the Sandy Creek road, and of A. G. Stowell, on the
Boylston road.

A history of Orwell would be incomplete without a more
full description than we have yet given of one of the great
natural curiosities of the State, — Salmon river falls. That
they are not as celebrated as might be expected is due partly
to their secluded locality, and partly to the fact that in the
when it is most convenient to reach them, Salmon



river is usually so low that its water, at the falls, does not
extend half-way across the chasm. But at tlie time of high
water, in spring, autumn, and early summer, there are few
more interesting spectacles in the whole range of natural
phenomena.

A ride of three miles east from Richland Station, on
the Rome and Watertown railroad, takes the traveler to
Orwell village, and three miles more to the southeastward,
on one of the roads to Redfield, brings him to the vicinity
of the cataract. On his right he sees the outline of a great
chasm dropping down between walls of hemlocks, and
marking the course of Salmon river. Presently the roar
of many waters strikes upon his ear; the road approaches
close to the river-bank ; he alights, pushes his way through
a fringe of evergreens, and stands face to face with the
cataract. A dozen rods in front of him the river, two hundred
feet wide and six feet deep, plunges over an almost perpen-
dicular precipice the measured distance of one hundred
and eight feet. On either side of the abyss into which it
falls rises a wall of earth and slate, also nearly perpendicular,
extending almost a hundred feet above the top of the fall,
or two hundred above the bottom. The tops of both banks
are covered with hemlocks and other evergreens, the dark
foliage of which forms a fitting frame for this great natural
picture. Twenty rods below the cataract the river rushes
through a narrow gorge not more than a hundred feet wide,
the walls of which are still nearer the perpendicular, beyond
which eye loses sight of it as it pursues its devious way
towards Lake Ontario. It soon leaves the limits of Orwell,
and we can only dwell there long enough to present a few
statistics.

THE CONGREG.iTIONAL CHURCH OF ORWELL.

This church was organized on the 13th day of March,
1858, under the pastorate of the Rev. Jacob R. Shipherd ;
being composed of members of the previous Presbyterian
church, which was formed in 1809. The latter was very
feeble, and had no regular supply of ministers until Decem-
ber, 1845. The Presbyterian pastors from that time until
the organization of the Congregational church were Messre.
Wilson, Wheelock, and Webb.

The first members of the Congregational church were
Frances Beadle, B. Maria Beadle, Orpha Burkitt, Malinda
Groat, David HoUis, Laura HoUis, Jane Potter, Elon Sto-
well, Abigail Stowell, Solinda Stowell, Temperance A. Sto-
well, Cornelius Acker, and Ruth Acker. The first ofiicers
were Rev. J. R. Shipherd, pastor, Elon Stowell and David
Hollis, deacons. The pastors since Mr. Shipherd have been
Rev. Messrs. Cutter, Bates, Decker, Crosby, and Greeley ;
the last. Rev. Frank N. Greeley, being the present minis-
ter. Their efforts have been blessed with marked success,
especially during the past winter of 187G-77, when an
earnest revival took place, by which the membership was
raised from the previous number of about twenty to no less
than eighty-five. The present deacons are Jas. F. Davis,
David HolHs, and C. McKinney ; the present clerk is A.
M. Campbell.

ORWELL CIRCUIT OF THE METHODIST EPI.SCOrAL CHURCH.
This cir^iit consists of five classes : one at Orwell village,



HISTORY OP OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



one at Chateaugay, one at Pekin, one on Salmon river,
near the line of Albion, and one in Albion. The existence
of the circuit dates back to a very early period, when the
Methodist ministers rode from one little log school-house to
another, usually in advance of all others, but the records
are not to be found.

The first record is in 1852, when Samuel Salisbury was
acting as pastor. He was followed, in 1853, by M. H. Gay-
lord ; in 185^, by H. M. Church, and in 1855, by G. W.
Ellwood. P. H. Miles officiated in 1856-57 ; S. B. Wblt-
comb in 1858-59; J.N. Brown in lSGO-61 ; Joseph de
Larme in 1 802-63 ; J. S. George in 1864-65 ; S. F. Ken-
yon in 1867 ; F. Devitt in 1868-69; L. Kelsey in 1870-
72; L. R. Grant in 1873-74; J. R. Crofoot in 1875-77.

There are now one hundred and fifty members in the
whole circuit, of which about one hundred and twenty-five
are in Orwell. At Orwell village the church meets In the
union house of worship. At Pekin a small Methodist
church was erected about 1850. The other meeting-places
are in school-houses. The present officers are Rev. J. R.
Crofoot, pastor ; stewards, William Hollls, J). A. Lawton,
Allen Bass, D. D. West, Ralph Pratt, Edward Near, Jabez
Clark, N. Hamblln.

Each station on the circuit has a Sunday-school, with an
aggregate of two hundred and seventy scholare. The
Sunday-school at Orwell village, however, is a union
school, with fifteen teachers, about eighty pupils, and one
hundred and fourteen volumes in the library. Mrs. James
Davis is the superintendent.

The house of worship at that point is also a " union"
house, built, as has before been stated, in 1843. The cost
was one thousand nine hundred and sixty-three dollars ; the
size is thirty-six feet by fifty-two. It was dedicated in
February, 1845, by Rev. Messrs. Robinson and Mattlson.

Besides the churches above named, there is a class at
Chateaugay, and another at Voree, belonging to the Boyls-
ton and Orwell circuit of the Methodist Protestant church ;
the majority of the members of the circuit being in Boylston.

ORWELL LODGE, NO. 54, I. 0. G. T.

This lodge was organized April 22, 1866. The charter-
members were Frank J. Parker, G. W. Hollls, J. J. Hollls,
Mrs. J. J. Hollls, Albert J. Potter, Giles E. Martin, Erwin
Beecher, Ira S. Piatt, Mrs. Ira S. Piatt, Orvllle Mareness,
John A. Hollls, Mrs. A. M. Hollis, Mrs. Giles E. Martin,
John Parker, Celia M. Beecher, Mary Hollis, Frank A.
Beecher, Mary E. Vary.

We are unable to give the first officers, but the list of
them must have corresponded very closely with the roll of
members. The number on that roll has grown, during the
eleven years' successful life of the lodge, from nineteen to
fifty-nine, and i.s still increasing. The present officers (July,
1877) are as follows: Chief Templar, A. G. Thompson;
Vice-Templar, Sirs. Walstein Balch ; Secretary, C. W.
Cogswell ; Assistant Secretary, Mrs. C. A. Cogswell ; Finan-
cial Secretary, Lafiiyette Hilton ; Treasurer, Celia McKln-
ncy; Chaplain, A. J. Potter; Marshal, Eugene Stowell ;
Deputy Marshal, Ella Latimore ; I. G., Mrs. Daniel Gor-
don ; 0. G., Walstein Balch ; R. H. S., May Thompson ;
L. H. S., Georgiana Woodbury.



ORWELL GRANGE, NO. 66, PATRONS OF HUSBANDRY.

This organization began its existence on the 28th day of
January, 1874, with the following officers:

Worthy Master, J. J. Hollls ; W. Overseer, Horace Par-
ker ; Lecturer, M. C. Groat ; Steward, Henry Davis ; As-
sistant Stewards, A. J. Potter and Mrs. A. G. Thompson ;
Treas., A. D. Bonner; Chaplain, William Hollis; Sec, J.
H. Beadle ; Gate-keeper, A. G. Thompson ; Ceres, Mrs. E.
G. Potter; Pomona, Mrs. A. J. Potter; Flora, Mrs. J.
Burkett. J. J. Hollls was re-elected Master for 1875, and

D. McKlnney was elected for 1876.

The following are the present officers : W. M., Alexander
Potter; W. 0.*^ J. S. Piatt; W. Lee., M. C. Groat; W.
Sec, H. S. Stowell ; W. Treas., S. C. Davis ; Chaplain, 0.
H.P.Baker; Steward, Horace Parker ; Assistant Stewards,
A. J. Potter and Mrs. H. Parker ; Gate-keeper, Roger
Ames; Ceres, Mrs. A. J. Potter; Pomona, Mrs. S. D.
Stowell ; Flora, Blrs. D. McKlnney.

The grange meets every Tuesday evening, in Nelson's
Hall, Orwell village, and has at present fifty-six members
in good standing. It has been amply successful thus far in
its career, and is receiving the support of a very substantial
portion of the agricultural population of Orwell.

The Supervisors of Orwell — with years of service — have
been as follows : John Reynolds, 1817-24, 1826-30, 1833 ;
John Wart, 1825 ; Jabez H. Gilbert, 1831-32, 1835-36 ;
Alban Strong, 1834, 1837,1842; Theodore S. Gilbert,
1838 ; Slason Salisbury, 1839 ; John Beadle, 1840, 1843;
Henry Tillinghast, 1841 ; Orimel B. Olmstcad, 1844, 1856,
1862, 1863; Nathan Simons, 1845, 1847-48; William
Beecher, Jr., 1846; Flavel Crocker, 1849; Edward Allen,
1850-52; William Strong, 1851, 1860; Daniel Pruyn,
1853; Orrin Beadle, 1854; Floyd W. Aldrich, 1855;
Hoyt N. Weed, 1857-59, 1861 ; Alexander Potter, 1864-
-73 ; H. H. Potter, 1874-75 ; Norman Hall, 1876-77.

The Town Clerks have been— Elis Strong, Jr., 1817-18;
Samuel Stowell, 1819-21 ; James B. Sandford, 1822, 1824;
Moses Snyder, 1823; Reuben Snyder, 1825; J. H. Gil-
bert, 1826-29; Alban Strong, 1830-33; Hiram Towsley,
1834, 1842; Edward Allen, 1835 ; Dolson Morton, 1836-.
37 ; Mason Salisbury, 1838 ; Alanson Strong, 1839, 1843;
John H. Cook, 1840-41; Orimel B. Olmstcad, 1844;
William Strong, 1845 ; S. F. Mason, 1846-47, 1849, 1852-
55, 1857, 1861 ; James F. Davis, 1848; Milo C. Beman,
1850 ; M. H. Thomas, 1851 ; George E. Stowell, 1856,
1858, 1862 ; Ira S. Piatt, 1859 ; Hoyt N. Weed, 1860,
1865-66; Homer J. Burch, 1863; T. T. Richards, 1864;
Robert N. Sawyer, 1867-68; Nelson C. Burch, 1869-72;
Frank J. Parker, 1873-74, 1876; A. E. Olmstcad, 1875 ;
George W. Nelson, 1877.

The present officers of Orwell are as follows : Supervisor,
Norman Hall ; Town Clerk, George W. Nelson ; Justices
of the Peace, James Shores, George F. Woodbury, p]dward
Near, John Parker ; Assessors, Truman Salisbury, Lewis

E. Joy, S. C. Davis ; Commis.sioncr of Highways, James
E. Fisher ; Overseer of Poor, H. H. Finster ; Town Audi-
tors, Dwight McKlnney, Hiram Snow, Elvin G. Potter;
Inspectors of P]lection, Henry Bonner. George E. Stowell,
George D. Thomas ; Constables, Ralph W. Pratt, Walstein
Balch, Henry Van Auken, Samuel King ; Game Constable,




■i^l^c^r-ifM^.:



HISTORY OF OSWKGO COUNTY, NHW YORK.



Henry Bonner; Sealer of Weights and Measures, N. C.
UuruU ; Excise Commissioners, B. F. Lewis, C. McKinuey,
D. S. Pratt.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



JAMES J. MONTAGUE

was boni in Orwell, February 2, 183G. His father, Nathan
F. Montague, was a native of Vermont, and his mother of
Connecticut. They settled in Orwell in 182G, on the farm
now occupied by H. H. Potter, and lived there up to 185t,
when they moved on to the farm now occupied and owned
by their son, the subject of this sketch. The father lost
his life by an accident in 1859. The mother has been
deranged for nearly thirty years, and has bean cared for by
her son for the last eighteen yeare.

Mr. Montague was first married in 1862, February 1, to
JIary D. King. Three children were the result of this mar-
riage, two of whom died in infancy. A daughter, Georgi-
anna, is the only one surviving. Mrs. Montague died
October 14, 1871, and Mr. Montague was again married
January 1, 1873, to Mrs. Martha M. Vannier, sister of
his first wife, and the mother of two children, Mrs. Mary
E. Lewis and Herbert M. Vannier. A daughter, Edith,
was the result of the latter marriage. After the death of
his father Mr. Montague took the farm, and in 1874 built
the house in which he now lives. His " milk and cream"
house is a model of its kind, and no one can boast better
butter than Mr. Montague.

To within two years Mr. Montague has acted with the
Democratic party, but having become satisfied that temper-
ance is the only live political issue before the country, he
has from that time voted with the Prohibition party. For
ten years he has been an active member in the Methodist
Episcopal church. Though his township was strongly Re-
publican, he was elected to the office of assessor for one
term of three years. Mr. Montague is a thorough farmer,
a good citizen, and deservedly enjoys the esteem of all who
know him.



HON. JOHN PARKER.

The subject of this sketch was born in the town of
Steuben, Oneida county. New York, December 27, 1810.
His fiither, John Parker, and mother, who.se maiden name
was Louisa Frisby, were natives of Columbia county, New
Y'ork. The mother died in Steuben in 1823. They had
seven children, of whom Mr. Parker is the only one sur-
viving. The father died September, 1843. Mr. Parker
was married March 15, 1831, to Polly E. Bonner. Nine
children were born to them, six sons and three daughters,
of whom five .sons and one daughter are now living. The
eldest, Charles H., Ls a resident of Minneapolis, Blinnesota.
The second, Horace, is a farmer in Orwell. The third and
fourth, De Witt and Lorin B., the former a resident of
Wisconsin, the latter of Minnesota. The only surviving



daughter, Mary Alice, married William C. HollLs, who was
killed at the second battle of Bull Run. She married for her
second husband John Church, and is now living in Lowell,
Massachusetts.

Mr. Parker moved to Orwell, Oswego County, June 7,
1834, and settled on twenty-two acres situated one mile
and a half northeast of Orwell, which he purchased of W.
C. Picrpont at seven doUare per acre, giving his note for
twenty-two dollars for first payment. He worked at jobs,
chopping and clearing lands. Scarcely a farm in the neigh-
borhood he has not helped to clear. He relates that while
at work for John E. Potter at five shillings per day, the
latter, with another hand and himself, logged six acres in
five days and a half By his industry, coupled with un-
tiring energy, from small beginnings Mr. Parker is now the
possessor of near three hundred acres of land. At the
present time he is living on his farm, situated about sixty
rods west of Orwell. His home, a sketch of which is
published in this work, is one of the pleasantest in the
town. Mrs. Parker died November 18, 1873, and on
March 1 1 of the following year Mr. Parker married Mrs.
Maria Loring, whose maiden name was Davis. She was
born in Steuben county. New York, and removed to Ovid,
Branch county, Michigan. Mr. Parker is a Ilepublican in
politics, and was prominent in the organization of the party
in the county. He voted for Andrew Jackson and Martin
Van Buren, and left the party upon the enactment of the
fugitive slave law. He was elected assessor of the townsliip
in 1840, and has served in that capacity seven years, as
highway commissioner four years, and as overseer of the
poor two years. He was elected twice to the assembly, in
1865 and 1869, serving in the years 1866 and 1870.
All positions of public trust to which Mr. Parker has been
called he has filled to the entire acceptance of his constitu-
ents. His four sons and son-in-law served during the war,
the latter, as before stated, losing his life. Mr. Parker
states that eight men who had at different times worked for
him were either killed or died in the army. It may be
here stated that Mr. Parker's grandfather was killed in the
Revolutionary war, and that his father served in the war
of 1812. Mr. Parker, though not a member of any
church, has always contributed liberally to their support.
He is a marked example of a .self-made man, working his
way from a poor boy, with slight advantages of early edu-
cation, to the occupancy of positions of high public trust.



S. C. DAVIS



was born in Steuben, Oneida county, New York, December
22, 1822, the youngest of twelve children of Colonel leha-
bod and Mary F. Davis. From the time he was seven to
the twenty-third year of his age he lived with his eldest
si.ster, Mrs. Lorin Bushnell, at Lee, Oneida county. New
York. He was married July 8, 1846, to Mary Sheldon,
the sixth child of a family often children, — six girls and four
boys. Her jiarents moved from Nurtli Adams, Mitssachu-



304



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



setts, and settled in Lee, Oneida county, New York, in
1828. She was born in North Adams, November 11,
1826.

They have two children, — Henry S. and Maryettie ; the
former is married to Cora Richardson, to whom a daughter,
Leila May, was born December 22, 1876. Mr. Davis
settled in Orwell, on the farm where he still lives, March
4, 185], then consisting of ninety-one acres, to which has
been added adjoining lands, until now it contains two hun-
dred and fifty. The father and son work the farm con-
jointly. During the last year, 1876, Mr. D. has erected
one of the finest fiirm residences in that portion of the
county, a representation of which, together with the " old
home," appears in this work.

Mr. Davis is Republican in politics, but has never been
an aspirant for office. He is a member of the Congrega-
tional church of Orwell.

Prompt in all his business transactions, thorough in
whatever he undertakes, from the plowing of a furrow to
the building of a house, contributing his equal share for all
public enterprises, with a keen relish for the comforts of a
pleasant home, Mr. D. could be ill spared from his family
or neighborhood.



MILITARY RECORD OF ORWELL.



Calvin Burch. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Inf., May i, 1861 ; mustered

as 1st lieut. ; w'd in 2d Bull Run battle ; ro-enl'd as eapt. Co. G,

24th Cav.; killed before Petersburg, June 17, 1864.
Nelson Burch. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Cav., Dec. 25, 1863 ; dis. with

regt. June 12, I860.
Allen M. Campbell. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862 ; dis.

for disab'y Dec. 9, 1862.
William H. Reamer. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Inf., May 4, 1861 ; dis.

Feb. 23, 1862, on account of w'ds reo'd in 2d Bull Bun battle.
RowlBiid A. Bass. Enlisted May 4, 1861, in Co. G, 24th Inf. ; w'd in

2d Bull Run battle, Aug. 30, 1862 ; dis. May 29, 1863.
Philo 1. Bass. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Inf., May 4, 1861 ; killed in

2d Bull Run battle.
Samuel J. Bass. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 1, 1862 ; died in

hospital Aug. 12, 1863.
Albert J. Potter. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; dis.

with regt. Aug. 2.5, 1865.
Claudius W. Rider. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 1, 1861 ; in

battles of Bayou Teche, Port Hudson, and Vermilion; dis. with

reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
Lyman Houghton. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Inf., May 4, 1801 ; in

battles of Fredericksburg, South Mountain, and 2d Bull Run ;

killed at Antietam.
Marcus D. Houghton. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Inf., May 4, 1861 ; in

2d Bull Run battle ; dis.
■William H. Houghton. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Cav., Dec. 25, 1863 ;

died in hospital.
Allen D. Bonner. Enl'd in 110th luf. Aug. 6, '62; dis. July 15, '65.
Wellington Edgett. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Inf., May 4, 1861 ; dis.



vith



tMa



1863.



William Hollis. Enlisted in Co. G, 2Jth Inf., May 4, 1861 ; killed in

2d Bull Run battle, Aug. 30, 1862.
Lyman C. Kcnyon. Enlisted in Co. E, 189th Inf., Aug. 29, 1864;

dis. May 13, 1S65.
Nathan Pariah. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Inf., May 4, 1861 ; taken

prisoner at 2d Bull Run; in battle of Chancellorsville ; w'd at

Gettysburg; taken prisoner in the Wilderness ; dis. Feb. 8, 1865.
Mason .S. Parish. Enlisted in CS. 6, 24th Inf., May 4, 1861; killed

in 2d Bull Run battle, Aug. 29, 1862.



Martin J. Denison. Enlisted in Co. G, 24th Inf., May 1, 1861 ; in

battles of Fredericksburg and South Mountain; w'd at Antietam;

dis. May 29, 1863.
Franklin Mason. Enlisted in Co. G, 24lh Inf., April 24, 1861 ; in 2d

Bull Run battle; dis. May 29, 1863.
Henry Stowell. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; pro. to

1st serg't ; dis. Aug. 28, 1865.
Henry B. Adsit. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862 ; pro. to

serg't ; in battles of Bisland, Port Hudson, Vermilion, and Frank-
lin ; dis. Aug. 28, 1865.
Henry Crawford. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 1, 1862; must.

as serg't ; in siege of Port Hudson and battle of Vermilion ;

dis. Aug. 28, 1865 ; died on his way home.
John J. Hollis. Enlisted in Co. C, UOth Inf., Aug. 4, 1862; must.

as serg't; dis. Feb. 1, 1865, to accept com. in 2d Florida Cav.
John Burch. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; must, as

serg't ; dis. with reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
Alfred Ufford. Enl'd in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 8, '62 ; must, as corp.
Alsom Beman. Enlisted in Co. C, llOth Inf., Aug. 1, 1862; dis. with

reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
Jonas Caswell. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; dis. with

reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
Ervin E. Finster. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. II, 1862; in

battles of Bayou Teche, Port Hudson, and Vermilion ; dis. with

reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
George Hancr. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862 ; in battles

of Bayou Teche, Port Hudson, and Vermilion ; dis. with reg't

Aug. 28, 1865.
Charles M. Meyres. Enlisted in Co. C, UOth Inf., Aug. 12, 1862 ; in

battle of Camp Bisland ; dis. with reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
George Meyres. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; dis.

Aug. 28, 1865.
Hiram Potter. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 1, 1862; dis. with

reg't Aug. 28, 1862.
Albert E. Stevens. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; in

battle of Camp Bisland; dis. with reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
Andrew J. Shear. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 1, 1862; in

battle of Camp Bisland ; dis. with reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
Millis S.Samson. Enl'd in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, '62 ; in battles of

Port Hudson and Bayou Teche; dis. with reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
Levi C. Samson. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., August 6, 1862; in

battle of Bayou Teche; dis. with reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
Cyrus Stowell. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862 ; dis. with

reg't Aug. 28, 1865.
Julian Ufford. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 1, 1862.
Thomas Vernon. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; trans.

to V. R. C. April 1, 1865 ; dis. July II, 1865.
Orimell B. Olmstead. Must, as c.apt. Co. C, llOth Inf., August 25,

1862; resigned Dec. 1, 1862, on account of disability.
Henry F. Aekley. Enlisted in Co. C, UOth Inf., Aug. 4, 1862; dis.

at New Orleans for disability ; died on his way home.
George Clark. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; dis. on

account of disability Jan. 23, 1863.
George S. Edgett. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 4, 1862 ; dis.

at New Orleans for disability Jan. 6, 1864.
William Grin.als. Enlisted in Co. C, llOth Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; dis.

at Key West for disability June 3, 1865.
Delano Hollis. Enlisted in Co. C, llOth Inf., Aug. 6, 1S62: dis. at

Baton Rouge, La., Nov. 4, 1863.
Lyman Hawkins. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; dis.

for disability at Fort Jefferson, Fla., Aug. 11, 1864.
Horace Parker. Enlisted in Co. C, UOth Inf., Aug. 1, 1862; di.s. for

disability at New Orleans, Juno 2, 1863.
William Prestlcy. Enlisted in Co. C, UOth Inf., Aug. 4, 1862: dis.

for disability at New Orleans, April, 1864.
Sinus Stowell. Enlisted in Co. C, IlOth Inf., Aug. 1, 1862; dis. for

disab. Aug. 7, 1864, at Fort JeSTerson, Fla. : died on his way home.
Clark Shear. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; pro. to

eorp. March 28, 1863: trans, to V. R. C. April 30, 1864; diseh.

July 12, 1865.
Lewis Barnes. Enlisted in Co. C, IlOth Inf., Aug. 6, 1862 ; trans, to

V. R. C. Deo. 21, 1864.
William C. Gordon. Enlisted in Co. C, UOth Inf., Aug. 6, 1862 ; in the

siege of Port Hudson; trans, to V. R. C. April 30, 1864; disch.

May 22, 1864.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Nelson Cnswoll. Enlisted in Co. C, llOtli Inf., Aug. 0, 1S62; died at

Baton Kougc, Ln., Mn.v 1, 1S63.
William Caswell. Enlisted in Co. C, llOtli Inf., Aug. fi, lSfi2: died

at Xow Orleans, June 23, 1S63.
George Damon. Enlisted in Co. C, llOlh Inf., Aug. 1. l.siiL'; diud at

Baton Rouge, Oct. 28, ISCS.
Amos areenfield. Enlisted in Co. C, lIOlli Inf., Aug. 15. lS(i2 ; died

at New Orleans, May 19, 1S63.
Henry Loomis. Enlisted in Co. C, llOtli Inf., Aug. '.I, ltif.2: died at

Carrollton, La., January 27, 1S()3.
Philip Mann. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 18C2; died at

Baton Rouge, La., April 20, 1863.
Milo Stowell. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 0, 1802; died at

Carrollton, La., March 7, 1863.
Nelson Stowell. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6,1862; died at

New Orleans, April 30, 1SB3.
Albert Stowell. Enlisted in Co. C, 110th Inf., Aug. 6, 1862; died at

Carrollton, Louisiana, Jan. 16, 1863.
John F. Bonner. Enlisted in Co. E, lS9th Inf., Aug. 27, 1S64 ; in

battles of Ilatcher's Run, Petersburg, and Appomattox ; dis.



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 80 of 120)