Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 82 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 82 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The first birtii was that of Carr Sprague, in 1805. The










^''^1fca^£fc.^tr..







r^.






Residence of E.S.TALLMAN,j




l.Osmeo County. H.Y.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUiNTY, NEW YORK.



first deiith w;is tliat of a dau-liter of Thos. Spnigue, in
ISUO.

The firet saw-inill was erected by Silas Craiuloll, in 1811.
The first store was built by Benjamin Phelps, in 1818.
The second school-house was a small frame building, erected
about 18^0. In 1868 a fine brick school-house Wiis built
at Hannib.il village. Its size is forty-two by fifty-four feet,
and it is two stories in height. It has three rooms and a
large recitation-room ; employs four teachers, the usual
number attending being about one hundred and thirty, and
the names on the roll about two hundred and thirty.

The first fulling-mill erected was by Towsley and Dunton,
ill 1S2U. The first tannery was built by Jno. Brill, about
1820, and this business has gradually increased until there
are now three tanneries, all doing well. The first frame
tavern was erected about 1815 by Amos Field, from Ver-
mont, who kept it for a long time. The first blacksmiths
were Thos. West, Trumbull Kent, and John Toppen. The
first carpenter was Moses Farnham. The first distillery
was built by Field & Dunton and Jason Peck.

The early physicians were Drs. Ure and Moore. Later
(about 1822) there was Dr. Ardeu Allen, from Clinton,
Oneida county. The earliest lawyers were jNIessrs. Riggs
and Abrams, who came in 1836, remaining a few yeai-s.

Among the early residents of prominence were Arvin
Rice, Abram Watson, Wm. Stephenson, Isaac Kinney, Jno.
Bullen, Alex. M. Kent, Jas. D. Curtis, Waters Towsley,
Isaac Sykcs, Cephas S. Kent, Samuel H. Patehen, Truman
Burroughs, Wm. Earl, Elihu GifFord, and James W. Jones.

There are three cheese-factories in the town, one at
South Hannibal and one at Hannibal, both owned by stock
companies. The third one is in the northeast part of the
town, owned by E. S. Tallman.

It is related of Mr. Cox, an early settler on lot 51, that
one afternoon while chopping in the woods his attention was
attracted by the squealing of a hog, and upon approaching the
place whence the sound came he found a huge bear gnawing
away at the head of the unfortunate porker. Mr. C. would
rap on a tree with his axe, when Bruin would look up for a
moment and then resume his gnawing. The night following,
Mr. Cox resolved to catch the marauder, and fixed his trap
accordingly. During the night the bear returned for the rem-
nants of his prey, and, as was expected, fell into the trap,
He, however, proved equal to the emergency, and winding
the chain of the trap around a small tree, gnawed his foot
off, and thus escaped.

Nicholas Cox (father), Chas. Cox, and Jno. Cox, a min-
ister, also settled on lot 51, about 1828 or 1829.

The post-oflBce at Wheeler's Corners was established in
1867, and named North Hannibal. John Farnham was
appointed postmaster, with M. H. Cox as deputy. John
A. Cox was appointed postmaster in 1872, and M. H. Cox,
the present incumbent, in 1873.

William Ames, from Windham county, Connecticut,
settled on lot 57 in 1818, on the farm now owned by Jason
Kent.

Cephas S. Kent, a native of Vermont, settled on lot 57
in 1815, clearing up a small portion, and moved his family
in 1816, coming all the way in a sleigh, reaching his home
in the wilderness in the mouth of March.



Alansoii Blodgett, from Onondaga county, located on lot
50 in 1817, where he still resides. Lot 50 was first settled
by Artemus Blodgett.

Henry and Benjamin Wiltsie, natives of Dutchess county,
took up lot 47 in about 1811. Cornelius, a son of Henry,
moved in about 1813, and Frederick, a son of Cornelius,
now resides on lot 47. Martin Wiltsie early settled on lot
48, the present residence of C. Perry Campbell.

W. W. Brackett, a native of Washington county, was
the first merchant at Hannibal Centre, and remained in
that business and other industrial pursuits forty-six years.
He erected a peppermint distillery at the same place, and
was also proprietor of a store at Hannibal village. He died
November 23, 1876.

Captain Hector Gillis was an early .settler at Oswego, and
was a sailor on Lake Ontario, commanding two vessels,
viz. : " Betsey" and " Julia." He was at the capture of
Oswego in 1814. He settled in Hannibal about the year
1818, on the farm now occupied by one of his sons. Mr.
Gillis died in 1864.

John Green, a native of Massachusetts, and later a resi-
dent of Oneida county, was an early settler in Mexico, and
at the time of the attack on Oswego was called out as a
minute-man. He brought the first carding-machiiie to
Mexico.

James W. Jones, from Saratoga county, settled on lot 76
about 1816, purchasing near two hundred acres, for which
he paid five dollars per acre. His son, Powell Jones, now
owns and resides on a portion of these lands.

Robert Hall, from Ireland, settled on lot 39 about 1811
or 1812.

The first newspaper in Hannibal was published in 1866
by George V. Emens, rather a small monthly sheet, called
the Hannibal Reveille. In 1872 Mr. Emens changed it
to a semi-monthly, and in January, 1873, issued it as a
weekly. July 1, 1873, it was purchased by A. N. Biadt,
the present editor and proprietor, and has a circulation of
about five hundred.

VILLAUES.

In the town of Hannibal there are four small hamlets
and one considerable village. Hannibal village, known
more familiarly as Hannibalville, is an incorporated village,
with about six hundred inhabitants, comprising the larger
portion of lot 67, and some of lot 58, and being located on
Nine-Mile creek. Within the corporation, on this creek,
are two mills, one grist-mill, two saw-mills, a tannery, a
stave-factory, a barrel-factory, a cheese-factory, and a cheese-
box-factory. The tannery was established in 1822 by
Thomas Shelton. It was destroyed by fire December 3,
1875, and rebuilt early the following year. It goes by
steam, and can turn out fifty hides per week. The grist-
mill employs both water and steam, and is owned by Wil-
liams & Misen. One of the saw-mills, and the stave- and
barrel-factories, all employing steam, were built in 1866 by
William R. Cox, and are now owned by R. M. Rogers.
The other taw-mill (steam) is owned by Wooster & Parsons,
and the cheese-box-factory (also steam) by W. Dada & Son.
The cheese-factory, built in 1869, is owned by a stock
company.

The leading mercantile establishment is managed by S.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



W. Brewster & Son, — a three-story brick building ; and a
jewelry store connected, or in the same building, by C. P.
Almroth. The other business interests of the village are :
H. M. Pierce, hardware ; George Leonard, grocer, and boots
and shoes ; Wilson Cooper, merchant tailor ; J. W. Burt,
clothing and postmaster; two harness-shops, one by Brad-
ford Byrne, and the other by Deacon Lazelcre ; carriage-
manufactory, by H. Matteson ; boot and shoe store, by
Peter Dillabough ; one meat-market ; two small confec-
tioneries and saloons ; five blacksmith-shops ; Burt & Both-
well, dealers in general merchandise ; and a fine hotel, by
Eli C. Van Auken. The physicians are E. H. Boyd,
Dillon P. Acker, Alfred Rice, retired ; George V. Emeus,

dentist ; also Dr. Acker (father of D. F. Acker), a

retired physician. The lawyers are H. M. Barrett, D. J.
Van Auken, Sr., and N. B. Brower.

The newspapers are the //aH)i/6aZi2eiei7Ze and Hannibal
News, both mentioned in the chapter on the press.

Hannibal has also a fine town-hall, nearly new, the third
floor of which is occupied by the Masonic fraternity.

Hannibal Centre has one store, managed by Hubert
Dickinson, who is also postmaster ; a small grocery, grist-
mill, and the steam-mills run by Orville J. H. Reed and
his father. Dr. Cooley is the physician.

South Hannibal has one store, blacksmith-shop, and post-
office.

Fairdale has a post-office, grocery, wagon-shop, and
blacksmith-shop.

North Hannibal has a store run by M. H. Cox, post-
master ; also a grocery, by Erwin Shutts, a wagon-shop,
and one or two blacksmith-shops. D. D. Metcalf, a prom-
inent lawyer, has a residence at this place.

Hannibal Lodge, No. 550, F. and A. M. — This lodge
was instituted June, 1865. The following were charter-
members : Albert B. Worster, George L. Carr, George V.
Emens, James W. Jones, E. M. Allen, A. S. Archer, Wil-
liam H. Wiggins, David Bothwell, Robert ISL Rogers, Jr.,
Nicholas B. Brower, Eli C. Van Auken, Heman Myres,
C. M. Cogswell, William Titus, William R. Conger, J. H.
Whitman.

The first officers were A. B. Worster, W. M. ; G. L.
Carr, S. W. ; G. V. Emens, J. W. ; W. R. Conger,
Treasurer; N. B. Brower, Secretary.

About twelve thousand dollars was spent in fitting up
their lodge-room, which made it one of the finest to be
found in any small village in this part of the State.

The lodge was very prosperous and harmonious from its
organization.

On the evening of July 3, 1873, the lodge-room and
nearly everything it contained was destroyed by fire. Four
hundred and fifty dollars was received as insurance, and
with this the members started anew, somewhat disheartened
but not discouraged. A room was procured in the hotel
of E. C. Van Auken, which was occupied about one year.
In the mean time a room was being built for the lodge by
the Union Hall company, which they have leased for a
term often years. This room has been furnished in much
better style than the old one, and is a credit to the
fraternity.

At the present time the lodge consists of one hundred



and two members in good standing. The officers for the
present year are as follows: G. V. Emens, W. BL ; S. W.
Crandall, S. W. ; Cyrus Haven, J. W. ; J. W. Burt,
Treasurer ; Cyrus Burnes, Secretary ; Frederick Blodgett,
S. D. ; Andrew Byrne, J. D. ; Geard Clark, S. M. S. ; A.
Archer, J. M. S. ; B. P. Byrne, Tyler ; M. H. Van Auken,
Chaplain ; D. F. Acker, Marshal.

THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF HANNIBAL

was organized December 4, 1816 — present. Rev. David R.
Dixon, of Mexico, and Rev. Henry Smith, from the Oneida
female missionary society. Eleven members took part in
the organization, viz. : Alexander M. Kent, Trumbull Kent,
Cephas S. Kent, Barraleel Worster, William Grant, Laura
Kent, Polly. Rice, Betsey Worster, Betsey Curtis, Marilla
Stevenson, and Phoebe Fellows. The only names of the
first officers given on the records are those of Cephas S.
Kent, deacon, and Alexander M. Kent, clerk.

The place of meeting for many years was in the village
school-house. The first church in town was built in 1826,
by this society conjointly with the Masonic fraternity, who
occupied the second floor as a lodge-room. It was a frame
building, and cost about two thousand dollars. In 1860
the present church edifice was erected, costing about four
thousand dollars. It is a tasteful wooden building, forty
by sixty feet, with a commodious lecture-room in the rear.

The pastors have been as follows: 1824, John Alex-
ander; 1825, William Clark; 1829, Martin Powell; 1831,
William P. Eells, died 1832; 1833, James T. Hough;
1835, Lemuel Dady ; 1840, Edward Reynolds; 1843,
John N. Hubbard; 1854, H. H. Morgan; 1856, E. P.
Cook, died in 1857; 1858, Lucius Barnard; 1859, P. W.
Emens; 1861, John N. Hubbard; 1867, E. P.Adams;
1870, Alfred Snashall ; 1873, F. W. Seward.

The church was originally organized as Presbyterian. It
was changed to Congregational February 20, 1822, and
again changed to Presbyterian, July 25, 1870.

There are now ninety-six members of the church and
eighty-nine of the Sunday-school, which last has a library
of a hundred and fifty volumes.

The present elders are as follows : S. W. Brewster, A.
F. Allen, Eliab Scott, Horatio Dunham, I. E. Hull.

THE BAPTIST CHURCH.

In the month of January or February, 1817, the Baptist
church of Sterling was organized, with Mr. and Mrs. Wil-
niouth, Mrs. Esther Devine, Mary Dumass, John Lake,
Sarah Lake, Mrs. Joshua Lake, and Amos and Annie
Wiltse as members. Meetings were held at the different
dwellings. There was no stationed pastor, but a missionary
frequently preached to the people. There was no regular
pastor until what was known as the Sterling and Hannibal
church was organized, in 1825, with Rev. Mr. Carpenter
as pastor. It was subseriuently called the Hannibal Baptist
church. The first church edifice was erected in the village
of Hannibal in 1827, just north of the present residence of
Dr. Rice. The size was about thirty-six by forty feet, and
the seating capacity about three hundred. It is a frame
building, and cost in 1827 two thousand two hundred dol-
lars. Some ten or twelve years ago repairs were made to





Jonas Shutts^



^■p-;;



-«# ..'#







HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



the amount of about a thousand dolhirs. Tlie following
are the names of some of the pastors officiating, viz. : Rev.
Mr. Carpenter, Rev. Mr. Upfold, Joseph More (who used
to preach to them occasionally some ten years before there
was a resident pastor). Rev. Mr. Watkins (the three latter
all died at this place within a few years), Peter Woodin,
P]lder Ira Dudley, Elder Caperin, Elder Foot, Elder
Graham, Elder Dudley, Judson Davis, E. B. Law, Elipha-
let Owens, Elder Reynolds, and Charles C. Smith. The
present membership of the church is near one hundred.

THE HANNIBAL METHODIST EPISCOPAL SOCIETY.

The Hannibal Methodist Episcopal society originally be-
longed to what was known as Granby circuit. The class
from which this society was organized was formed in 1835.
On the 2Gth of February, 1839, a meeting was held for the
purpose of incorporating the society, and the certificate of
incorporation was recorded in the county clerk's office
March 13, 1839. Some of the first trustees and members
were as follows: David Peckham, John L. Kipp, Alva
Worster, William Nipper, William A. Jacobs, Nathan Drury,
William Williams, and their wives. The total number of
members at organization was twenty-five. John Whitcomb
was then pastor.

The society held their meetings about throe years in a
school-house that used to stand opposite the present Pres-
byterian church, near ten rods from the present Methodist
Episcopal church. Rev. Benj. F. Brown came in 1840,
and remained until 1842. During his pastorate the mem-
bership was largely increased. As a result of this revival
the society, in 1841, built a new brick church, thirty by
forty feet, costing eleven hundred and fifty dollars. From
1842-13 Rowland Soule Wiis pastor; 1843-44, W. Mason ;
1844-45, J. W. Coope; 1845-17, Rev. Alvin Robbins ;
1847-49, Rev. M. H. Gaylord ; 1849-51, Rev. 0. Squires ;
1851-53, Rev. David Smith ; 1853-55, Rev. S. B. Cro-
sier; 1855-56, Rev. Wm. Merrifield ; 1850-58, Rev. H.
Kingsley; 1858-60, Rev. R. N. Barber; 1860-62, Rev.

0. C. Lathrop; 1862-63, Rev. Ellis; 1863-66,

Rev. H. Skeel.

Through the financial management of the last-named
pastor and a united society, a second church edifice of
brick, forty-four by sixty-eight feet, was built in 1864.
This church was built in front of the old one, causing the
removal of about one-third of that church, the remainder
being open for social meetings.

The whole cost of the church, including lot and old
church, is about nine thousand dollars. From 1866-68
the pastor was Rev. S. 0. Barnes; 1868-69, Rev. F. A.
O'Farrell; 1869-71, Rev. W. F. JIarkliam ; 1871-73,
Rev. H. C. Abbott.

In 1873, Rev. D. W. Beadle acted as pastor five months.
His health failing, Rev. C. E. Beebee came in the fall of
1873, and remained until 1876. In 1876, Rev. W. F.
Brown, the present pastor, was installed. Only the names
of senior pastors have been given in the foregoing list,
though assistants have sometimes been employed.

The present number of members of the society is one
hundred and sixty-seven. The Sunday-school contains
about one hundred and thirty members, and has near two



hundred books in its library, besides which seventy semi-
monthly papers are taken by the school.

HANNIBAL CENTRE CHARGE,
constituting the Hannibal Centre and South Hannibal
churches, being one pastorate, was organized from two
charges, viz.. South Hannibal from Granby, and Hannibal
Centre from Hannibal Village, in 1871. Hannibal Centre
church was erected about 1862 or '63. South Hannibal
was erected about 1860. The first cla.ss orgiinized at Han-
nibal Centre was in 1830, with Mr. James A. Brackett as
first clas.s- leader. Members of the first class were Sarah
Brackett, Wight Church, M. A. Thompson, Jane Havens,
Wm. Brackett, John J. Scott and wife, Alva Worster,
Saml. Frost, Truman Brackett and wife, John Hutchinson,
Hannah Perkins.

Among the first preachers were Benj. Ryder, Samuel
Bibbins, and Mr. Seymour. The present pastor is Esquire
Boyd.

The size of the church at South Hannibal is thirty-six by
fifty-two feet. A Sunday-school has been connected with
it for twenty-five years, with Hubert Dickinson as the
present superintendent.

THE BAPTIST CHURCH OF SOUTH HANNIBAL

was organized August 7, 1851, with the following officers:
John Chapman, deacon, J. B. Chapman, church clerk,
and the following members: Arris Chapman, S. Hulett,
E. T. Hulett, Ira Dibble, Elis Dibble, G. James, Catherine
James, E. R. Chapman, E. T. Pierce, Anna James, Sally
Terpaning, Betsy James, Hannah B. Armstrong, and Helen
Lathrop. Late pastor, S. G. Jones ; present pastor, E. D.
Cross. The church was erected in 1851, and dedicated
May 7, 1852. Present membership, thirty-five.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH.



JONAS SHUTTS

was the eldest in a family of twelve children, coasLsting of
four sons and eight daughters. He was born in the town
of Claverack, Columbia county. New York, on the eighteenth
day of March, 1814. Of this large fomily of children Jonas



and fiv



all that !



John Shutts, the father of our subject, about the year
1815 removed to Montgomery county, where he engaged
in farming until 1829, when he again removed, this time to
Oswego County, and for the first few years was engaged in
farming lands on shares. He afterwards purchased a farm
of his own. In the year 1834, at twenty years of age,
Jonas was united in marriage to Mi.ss Clarissa A. Dcmott,
of the same place. Three children were born of this mar-
riage, — Laura E., Mary E., and John, who died when an
infant of six months. Mrs. Shutts died in 1840, leaving
these three children and a bereaved husband. In the fol-
lowing year Mr. Shutts filled the vacancy in his home by
choosing another companion. He was married to Miss
Emeline C. Lane, of the same town, daughter of Colonel



HISTORY OP OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Roswell Lane. She is one of nine children, — three sons
and six daughters, all of whom are living except two. Col-
onel R. Lane lived to the advanced age of seventy-four
years, dying in 1874 ; his wife is still living, and is seventy-
five years of age. John Shutts, the father of Jonas, lived
to the age of seventy-three years, dying in 1863 ; his wife
still survives at the age of eighty-two years. Mr. Jonas
Shutts by his last marriage is the father of seven children,
— Alvina A., Clarissa A., George W., Gilbert J., Sarah E.,
Lettie M. J., Eva D., all living to-day except Lettie, who
died in 1874, aged seventeen. They are all married and
have families except Eva, who is a young lady of eighteen,
and is at home with her parents. Maiy E., a daughter of
his first wife, died in 1873, aged thirty-five years.

The home farm consists of two hundred acres, and he
owns other farms of two hundred acres more. We present
our readers with a fine view of the residence, and portraits
of Mr. Shutts and his wife.



MILITARY RECORD OF HANNIBAL.



itb i-cgt. ;



Johu Allen, Co. I, ISlth Inf. Enlisted Aug. 12, 1864; di

died of disease contracted in the service.
Horace Acker, Co. H, 111th Inf. First man in regt. killed in battle.
\V. H. Acker, corp. and sergt., Co. F, 110th N. Y. Inf. Must. Aug. 25,

1862 ; died in the service.
Cornelius Adamy, Corp., Co. F, 110th N. Y. Must. Aug. 25, 1862; dis.

for disability.
D. F. Acker, Co. F, 84th N. Y. Inf. Enlisted July 1, 1864; dis. Oct.

31, 1864.
Geo. AV. Arnold, 16th H. Art.
Joseph Albring, Co. H, 81st Inf. Enlisted Sept. 16, 1861 ; dis. Sept.,

1864; Corp. and sergt.; wounded in battle.
Lorcn Austin, 24th Cav. Wounded in battle.
Hezekiah Allen, Co. F, Slst Inf. Enlisted Sept. 30, 1861; dis. for

disability.
Edward Aylesworth, serg., Co. G, 147th N. Y. Enlisted Aug. 25, 1862 ;

died at Gettysburg, July, 1863, from wounds received in battle.
George Allen.

William Boom, Co. G, 110th Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862.
Isaac T. Braekctt, Co. F, 110th N. Y. Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1S62; dis.

with regt.; 1st sergt., 2d lieut., 1st lieut., and bvt. capt.
J. M. Bailey, corp., Co. F, 110th Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862.
Bradford F. Byrne, eorp., Co. F, 110th Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862;

dis. at end of three years.
W. II. Baker, Co. P, 110th N. Y. Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862 ; prisoner

of war.
0. W. Baker, Co. F, 110th N. Y. Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862.
J. A. Byrne, Co. F, 110th N. Y. Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862 ; discharged

with the regiment.
David Barrie, Co. F, 110th Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862.
John Brodcrick, Co. F, 110th Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862.
Michael Blake, Co. F, 110th Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862.
A. Z. Buck, Co. F, 110th Inf. Must. Aug. 25, 1862; discharged with

regiment.
W. H. Brackett, Co. H, Slst Inf. Corp., sergt., reg. (jm. sergt., 1st

lieut., and bvt. capt.
J. W. Brackett, Co. C, lS4th Inf. Enlisted Aug. 29, 1864; discharged

with regiment.
Herbert J. Byrne, Co. K, 142d N. Y. Inf. Enlisted Sept. 1, 1862 ; dis-
charged June 7, 1865, with regiment.
Andrew Byrne, Co. C, 184th N. Y. Inf. Enlisted Aug. 31, 1864; dis-
charged with regiment.
Albert N. Bradt, corp., Co. H, 111th N. Y. Inf. Enlisted Aug. 9,

1862; discharged for disability, June 11, 1863; prisoner of war.
William Bradt, Co. H, 111th N. Y. Infantry.



I; dis-



J. J. Bingham, Co. B, 122d N. Y. Inf. Enlisted July 9,

charged July 3, 1865 ; wounded in battle.
E. H. Boyd, captain, Co. F, llOlh N. Y. Inf. Mustered Aug. 25, '62.
Charles F. Burt, — Minnesota Inf.
David Botherell, Co. C, 184th N. Y. Inf. Enlisted Sept. 16, 1864;

2d lieut. ; mustered out with regiment.
Edward Billhardt, 9th H. Art.
Charles Billhardt, 9th N. Y. H. Art.

C. S. Buck, Co. C, 184th N. Y. Inf. Enlisted August 27, 1864; dis-
charged with regiment.
W. W. Buck, sergeant, Co. E, 24th N. Y. Inf. Mustered May 17,

1861 ; discharged with regiment.
James Brennan, corporal, Co. E, 24th Inf. Mustered May 17, 1861;

discharged with regiment.
John Brennan, Co. E, 24th Inf., and 24th N. Y. Cav. Prisoner of war.
J. A. Baxter, Co. C, 184th Inf. Enlisted August 25, 1864.
Daniel E. Brown, Co. F, 9th N. Y. H. Art. Enlisted January, 1864;

discharged June, 1865.
William Baker.
George M. Butler, 24th N. Y. Cav. Mustered with regiment; died in

the service.

Earner. Missing at Cold Harbor.

Henry Bishop, 9th N. Y. H. Art. Missing at Cold Harbor.

Monroe Baker, Co. C, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug. 31, 1864; died in

the service, June 4, 1865.
William Butler, 24th N. Y. Cav. Mustered with regiment; wounded

in the service.
Erastus M. Baker, Co. E, 12th N. Y. Cav. Enlisted September 24,

1862; discharged June, 1864.
Henry Baker, Co. C, 184th Inf. Enlisted August 31, 1864; died in

the service.
Nicholas Boom, Co. G, 110th Inf. Mustered Aug. 25, 1862; died

from wounds received in battle, Dec. 12, 1863.
T. II. Bentley, corporal, Co. A, 147th N. Y. Inf. Enlisted Aug. 30,

1862 ; killed in battle.
William Brennan, Co. F, llOlh N. Y. Inf. Mustered Aug. 25, 1862;

discharged with regiment.
Jerry Brown, 9th N. Y. H. Art.
T. J. Beebe, 21st N. Y. Battery. Died in service.
William Brown, 81st Inf., and Co. C, lS4th Inf. Died from disease

contracted in the service.
Orlando Barrett. Died from disease contracted in the service.
Charles A. Byington, 110th N. Y. Inf. Pro. to 2d lieut., and died in

the service.
Samuel Burnside, Co. H, 110th N. Y. Inf. Mustered Aug. 25, 1862 ;

died in the service.
Robert Burnside, Co. A, 110th Inf Died in the service.
Isaac Borst, Co. 6, 134th N. Y. Inf. Enlisted Aug. 13, 1862; dis.

June 14, 1865.
Nicholas Bradley, Co. H, tilth N. Y. Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862 ; dia.

for disability, Dec. 29, 1863; wounded in battle and pris. of war.
Ethan Bennett, Co. I, 75th Inf. Enlisted Nov. 18, 1861.
Levi Bennett, Co. I, 75th Inf. Enlisted Nov. 2, 1861.
James Earner, Co. I, ISlth Inf. Enl'd Aug. 27, '64; dis. with regt.
Wm. Bickley, Co. F, 184th Inf. Enlisted Aug. 29, 1864.
Michael Brennan, Co. E, 24th N. Y. Inf. Mustered May 17, 1861.
Edward Brinck, 75th N. Y. Enlisted Sept. 21, 1861.



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 82 of 120)