Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 84 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 84 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


is in the village of Hannibal. The company was organized and
mustered into the State .'ervice, Sept. 4, 1864, with the following
commissioned officers: Capt., W. H.Wiggins; 1st Lieut., AVm.
O'Connor; 2d Lieut., Seth Barrus. During the year following,
Capt. Wiggins resigned, and Lieut. O'Connor was elected to fill
the vacancy. Dr. Geo. V. Emens was elected 1st lieut. In Aug.,
1870, 1st sergt. D. F. Acker was elected 2d lieut. In July, 1871,
the time of the company having nearly expired, it was re-or-
ganized with the following officers; Capt., D. F. Acker; 1st Lieut.,
G. V. Emens; 2d Lieut., L. P. Storms. In Nov., 1872, Capt.
Acker was promoted to ass't-surgcon of the regiment. During
February following, Lieut. Storms was elected captain, and 1st
fcrgt. Joseph Alberny, 2d lieut.; A. N. Bradt, 1st sergt., which
organization is yet retained. "B" Company has always been
considered one of the best in the regiment. At its re-organiza-
tion nearly all of its members had seen service in the late war.



PALERMO.



Palermo is a town geogi-aphieally situated in the in-
terior of the county, a little northwest of its centre. The
surflice is undulating, in places hilly. The soil is generally
a sandy loam, but around the border of the "big swamp"
a rich alluvial deposit exists. The swamp, locally known as
above quoted, is located in the eastern part of the town, is
fifty-seven feet above Oneida lake, and the ridges which
traverse the town are twenty-five feet above the swamp. A
large part of the waste land surrounding the swamp has
been redeemed, and each year some improvement is made.
The township is watered by the Fish creeks and other



The earliest settlement of which any record exists was
made a little more than seventy years ago, and the redemp-
tion of the wild land from the primitive and dense forest to
a fertile and highly productive agricultural state was a
work of considerable magnitude, and fraught with a great
deal of toil and care. But the pioneers of Palermo, like
those of other new sections, were a hardy and industrious
class, and sought to establish their homes with the greatest
possible expedition. The process was naturally slow and
laborious. But diligence and unremitting labor triumphed,
and we behold to-day the magnificent results of the work
of their hands and the benefits of their intelligence.

The first white settler who penetrated the wilderness of
which Palermo was originally constituted was David Jen-
nings, who came in from Paris, Oneida county. New York,
and settled on what was subsequently long known as the
" old Sheppard farm." He afterwards removed on to the



. farm now occupied by Timothy Dolbear, and finally, in
18;'32, to the one now owned by his son, E. L. Jennings,
and died there July 1, 1869.

Mr. Jennings was born March 2, 1791, and commenced
housekeeping, in the smiling forest of his new home in Pa-
lermo, in June, 1810, having been married on the 26th of
March of the preceding year to Lois Hartson, a native of
Litchfield, Connecticut. They had no capital, but they
enjoyed good health, and possessed largely the qualities
of industry and perseverance, which, coupled with a com-
mendable ambition, ultimately secured to them a com-
petence. They raised a family of ten children, of whom
but two survive, — Alvira, the widow of Charles Keller,
now a resident of Palermo, and E. L. Jennings, who,
being the only direct male representative of the family,
deserves more than a passing notice at our hands. Eli-
phalet Jennings (who uses the initials E. L. to avoid con-
fusion, as there are others in the township who go by the
initial E.) was born in Palermo, October 5, 1822, and has
resided all his life in his native township. On the 2d of
October, 1845, he married, and after four years of wedded
life his wife died. In 1850 he married again, and losing
his second wife in 1868, he married his present wife on the
22d of Blay, 1872. He had one daughter by his second
wife, Ida C, who was born June 5, 1858.

In politics Mr. Jennings is a Republican, as was his
father before him. He and his wife attend the Methodist
Episcopal church. He is a gentleman very extensively and
very favorably known throughout his township, is honest





D, H. Trimble.



Mrs.O.H. Trimble.




STORED. RESIDENCE of D. H.TRIMBLE, PAu/^fnoCcNTZFf.OswEooCo.NY



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



317



and upright in his dealings with his fellow-men, and as
such enjoys the respect and esteem of all who know him.

About 1809, Simeon Cnmdall and Sylvanus Hopkins
came into the township, but no descendants of either now
reside therein. About the same time Zadock Hopkins
arrived, and some years subsequent was killed by the caving
in of a well which he was digging.

In 1812, Stephen Blake, Sr., came in and purchased
about one hundred acres, including what is now known
as "Jennings' Corners." He resided there a number of
years.

Elder Asaph Graves, a native of Vermont, and subse-
quently a regularly ordained minister of the Baptist church,
settled in the township in 1813, his location being about
one mile east of Jennings' Corners, on the farm afterwards
familiarly known as the Lewis Johnson place. Two of
his sons, Alanson and Cyrus Graves, still reside in the
township.

In 1814, John Trim settled a little east of Palermo
Centre, and lived to the advanced age of eighty-three.
There are circumstances connected with his history that
deserve more than a passing notice. At the early age of
sixteen years, his father and mother, two sisters, and one
brother were murdered by the Indians in the Mohawk
valley, near Schenectady. His father was tomahawked at
his own door, and killed while defending his home and
family. His mother and two of his sisters were hung up
by the skirts, their clothes and their bodies were lacerated
with arrows and knives until life became extinct. The
younger brother, who wa.s an invalid, was taken prisoner
with John. After one day's marching the invalid brother
could not endure the hardships of travel, so the Indians
told him he could go back, which he attempted to do. As
soon as he got fairly in the rear of the Indians they com-
menced a fusilade at him with their arrows, and shot him
dead. After enduring untold hardships, traveling on foot in
the winter-time, with insuflBcient clothing to protect him
from the inclemency of the weather, by t]fe time John arrived
in Canada his feet were bare and nearly frozen. While
warming them by the fire one of the squaws induced the
children to throw hot embers on his feet to see him jump,
and then laugh at the sport. In his desperation he took
a tomahawk and split her brain open. He expected to ex-
piate the deed by his death, but the Indians, after a coun-
cil, immediately acquitted him, and deemed it an act of
bravery to brain a squaw. After enduring two years of
captivity and great privation he escaped from the savages.
He slew two Indians the night he made good his departure.
During his life he killed eight Indians and one squaw.
After his eye grew dim with age and his nerves were
unstrung, at the name Indian his eyes would dilate, and all
the latent energy and courage of the old man would be
aroused. He died one-half mile south of Palermo Centre,
in the eighty-third year of his age, honored and respectt-d
by his neighbors and acquaintances. Peace to his ashes.

In 1816, Barzil Candee settled in the town, and remained
there until 1837, when he removed to Schroeppel, and
located on the farm now occujiied by his son, C. W. Candee.

In 1820, Josiah Chaffee, ftither of Deacon Josiah Chaffee,
of Schroeppel, came in from Connecticut and settled near



the base-line of the township. He resided (horo until his
death, which occurred September 17, 1830.

About one mile north of Flint's Corners Captain Ephraim
McQueen settled on the farm he still occupies, in the year
1820.

Peter Toolcy and family located on lot No. 52 in Febru-
ary, 1828. His son, George M. Tooley, still resides in the
town. They came from Oneida county.

The year 1830 was quite prolific in accessions to the
population. Among others who came in this year were :

Isaac N. Lansing, who came from Madison county, and
settled on the form which he and his son, W. S. Lansing,
now occupy, on lot 45.

Frederick Wilcox and wife, parents of Mrs. I. N. Lan-
sing, came from Simsbury, Connecticut, and settled on the
farm now owned by J. Fitch Lansing.

Elder Hills came in from England this year, and made
his home near Jennings' Corners, on the farm now occupied
by his son, John Hills, Esq.

Leman Austin came from Oneida county, and settled on
the farm upon which his daughter, Mrs. Sarah Wright,
now resides.

Harvey Whitmore, this year, settled on the farm now
owned by George Babcock.

In 1832, D. C. Burritt located on the place now owned
by A. Mason, and erected a blacksmith-shop there.

In 1832, George W. Hicks came in and settled on lot
72, where he has since resided.

In the spring of 1834, George Tinker, Esq., came in
from Marshall, Oneida county, New York, and made hi.s
home on lot G3, on the form now occupied by Willis Jen-
nings.

Among the prominent settlers coming into the town prior
to 1840 we might mention the following, it being utterly
impossible to particularize individually : A. K. Beckwith,
Lovwell Johnson, William F. Shepard, Elijah Dickinson,
Asahel Dolbear, Reuben T. Hanchett, Anion Wood, David
Gardner, A. E. Noble, Alvin Osborn, Ezra Green.

Above is presented a brief history of the early settlement
of Palermo, and the next item for consideration is its

SUBSEQUENT DEVELOPMENT.

The first clearing within the present limits of what was
originally township 14 of Scriba's patent, and which, as
will be shown farther on, was at one time a part of Vol-
ney, was made by David Jennings, Esq. The first farm
improvements were also made by him, for it is a well-au-
thenticated fact that he first came on his land in 1806, and
worked during each season, returning to his home in Oneida
county, until June, 1810, when he brought his newly-
wedded wife with him and made his permanent settlement.
He also built the first log house in the township, which
served as his habitation for many years.

The first frame hou.se was erected by Enoch Hyde, in
1814, and stood in the vicinity of Jennings' Corners until
within a few years.

The first saw-mill was erected by l'hinc;i.s (Miapin, in
1812. It stood on Kilby creek, and occupied the present
site of the mill now operated by Martin Chaffee.

The first tavern was a log structurr, which stood in what



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



in now the centre of the road, a little south of Palermo
Centre (Jennings' Corners). It was erected by Stephen
Blake in 1816.

The first school-house was built at Jennings' Corners as
early as 1820. It was a log building, and belonged to old
school district No. 1. A school had been taught by Har-
riet Easton in private houses about eight years previous to
the establishment of a common school.

The first church edifice* erected in Palermo was by the
Baptist denomination, at the centre, in 1836. It still
stands, after a service of more than forty years.

The first birth was that of Alvin Walker, in September,
1811.

The first marriage solemnized within the present limits
of the town was that of Joseph Jennings and Sally Chapin.

The finst death was accidental, and occurred in 1811.
The victim was Zadock Hopkins.

The first burying-ground was laid out in 1816, on a piece
of land containing a trifle more than half an acre, purchased
of Stephen Blake, and is the same now used at the centre,
only it has been added to as necessity required.

N. B. Ellsworth settled in the town iu 1855, and ten
years later purchased the saw-mill and stave-machine he
now operates. The past year he cut one hundred thousand
staves, sawed two hundred thousand feet of lumber, and
made twenty thousand barrels. He employs in all about
thirteen hands.

CIVIL ORGANIZATION.

The territory now comprised within the limits of Palermo
was formed from Volney on the 4th day of April, 1832, by
an act of the State legislature. The first town-meeting was
held at the house of Alva Jennings, March -1, 1833, at
which time and place the following ofiicers were elected :

Supervisor, William F. Shepard ; Town Clerk, A. E.
Noble ; Assessors, Lovwell Johnson, Ansel Goodwin, Ethan
Burdick ; Overseers of the Poor, Wm. K. Burt, Azariah
Parmelec; Commissioners of Highway, Alva Jennings,
Phineas Converse, Alexander McQueen ; Commissioners of
Schools, Barzil Gandee, Ansel Goodwin, Leman Austin ;
School Inspectors, Asahel Dolbear, Leman Austin, Alan-
son Graves ; Justice of the Peace, Lovwell Johnson, Har-
low Merrill, Matthew V. D. Backus, Peter Tooley ; Collec-
tor, Thomas Burdick ; Constables, Asahel Dolbear, Thomas
Burdick, Theodore Humphrey, Alvin Cass.

The following-named persons were chosen path-masters
for the ensuing year for the respective districts in which
they severally resided :

District No. 1, Jeremiah Hull; No. 2, David Gardner;
No. 3, N. C. Munger ; No. 4, Henry Chapin ; No. 5, Lewis
Babbitt ; No. 6, David Thurston ; No. 7, William Beels ;
No. 8, Ethan Burdick; No. 9, Alvin Lord; No. 10,
Henry Cole; No. 11, John Sails; No. 12, Chauncey
Jerome; No. 13, Daniel Eastwood; No. 14, Ebenezer
Pierce; No. 15, Obed Gulis ; No. 16, John Pettis; No.
17, Joseph Ure; No. 18, John Hanson; No. 19, Amon
Wood; No. 20, Alvin Cass; No. 21, Gamaliel Oimstead ;
No. 22, Levi Phillips ; No. 23, Alpheus C. Wheeler ; No.



24, ; No. 25, Lester Goodrich; No. 26, G. Good-
win; No. 27, Benjamin Dennis; No. 28, Oliver Chaffee;
No. 29, Thomas I. Cattington.

" Voted, That a fence four and one-half feet high shall
be a lawful fence."

" Voted, That we raise the same amount of money for the
support of common schools as we receive from the State for
that purpose."

The list of supervisors from 1833 to 1877, inclusive, com-
prises the following names :

Supervisors. — Wm. F. Shepard, Jeremiah Hull, Lov-
well Johnson, Elijah Dickinson (three years), John Bost-
wiek, George Blossom (four years), Elijah Dickinson (two
years), David Jennings (two years), Abner ChaflFee (two
years), David Jennings (two years), Abner Chaffee (two
years), Leman Austin, David Jennings, Abner Chaffee,
David Jennings, Sherman L. Decker (two years), George
Tinker (two years), Joseph Harding (two years), Guy P.
Loomis, Abner Chaffee, Jay L. Johnson (four years), David
L. Brown (two years), Samuel R. Smith (two years), Henry
F. Parsons, George M. Hanchett, Samuel R. Smith, David
R. Trimble, present incumbent.

Township Clerks. — A. E. Noble, Stephen Blake (seven
years), Alvin Osborn, Edwin Easton, Harvey Whitmore, A.
K. Beckwith (two years), Harvey Whitmore (three years),
John Hills (four years), Alanson B. Ingersoll, A. K. Beck-
with, Alanson B. Ingersoll, Stephen Blake, Harvey Whit-
more, David Jennings, Jr., Alanson B. Ingersoll ( two
years), E. A. Huntingdon, John Hills (two years). Jay L.
Johnson (two years), John Hills (six years), Ezra Green,
present incumbent (six years).

Justices of the Peace. — Lovwell Johnson, Harlow Mer-
rill, Matthew V. D. Backus and Peter Tooley (1833),
David Jennings, Peter Tooley, Elijah Dickinson, Alvin Os-
born, Hezekiah Lee, Elijah Dickinson, Jared W. Lamphire,
George Tinker, Phineas Converse, Charles Conklin, Reuben
T. Hanchett, Ezra Green, Phineas Converse, Martin B.
Campbell, Reuben f . Hanchett, Ezra Green, Joseph Hard-
ing, Wm. B. Forsyth, Ansel Goodwin, Ezra Green, Lo-
renzo W. Robinson (vacancy), Julius Hall, C. B. Ashley,
Henry Goodwin, Horace Decker (vacancy), J. B. Ingersoll,
Horace Decker, Henry Goodwin, John Hills, Jonah H. Sny-
der, Wm. B. Forsyth (vacancy), John McComber, Wm. H.
Eggleston, Wm. B. Forsyth, David L. Brown (vacancy)
Jonah H. Snyder, David L. Brown, Samuel R. Smith,
Wm. B. Forsyth, Alanson B. Ingersoll, David L. Brown,
Samuel R. Smith, William B. Forsyth, Jonah H. Snyder.

JENNINGS' CORNERS (Palermo po.st-office),



sing village situated a trifle west of the geo-
graphical centre of the town, was first settled by Stephen
Blake, Sr.,in 1813. Among the early settlers who followed
Mr. Blake, and located at or in the vicinity of the corners,
were Alvin Walker, Sylvanus Hopkins, Turner Jennings
and son 0. P. Jennings, who was born there, Alvin Osborn,
Truxton Seeley, Lovwell Johnson, Humphrey Dolbear,
A. E. Noble, M.D., William N. Burt, and others.

The fii-st log house in the place was erected by Stephen
Blake, in 1813, and three years later an addition having




STAVE BARREL FACTORY & HOT ZL of W.H.HANNAN.

PALCflMO C£NJ£lf,0SW[OO CO., H. Y.




ResioENCL OF FREDRICK C CHURCH, PallrmoChnter ,Oswi j



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUxNTY, NEW YORK.



319



been made to it, he opened tlie first tavern kept in tlic
township.

The first frame house in the village and township was
erected by Enoeli Hyde, as stated in the liistory proper of
the town.

The first store was built by Jlessrs. Bush & Babbott,
in 1817. It stood on the present site of Hannan's hotel.
After some years the proprietors failed, and the store
remained vacant for a time, when William T. Shepard
brought in a stock of goods, and re-opened the store, and
continued business therein until about 1830. He then
disposed of the business to Amasa Botchford, who, after a
few years, failed. After this the building was converted
into a dwelling, and subsequently a tavern was kept in it,
and finally, in 1860, it was destroyed by fire.

As mentioned elsewhere, the first tavern in the township
was erected by Stephen Blake, in 1816, at or very near the
corners. It was the only one in this section of country
until about 1825, when Messrs. David and Alva Jennings
erected the frame building now owned by Willis A., son of
Alva Jennings, and used as a dwelling. The village now
contains one general store, kept by David H. Trimble, one
hotel, of which William H. Hannan is the proprietor, one
extensive steam heading- and stave-mill, al.so owned and
operated by William H. Hannan. This is the largest mill
of its kind in this part of the country. There are two
wagon- and blacksmith-shops, one church, of the Baptist
denomination, a neat and tastefully laid out cemetery, and
one public school. The estimated population of the village
is one hundred and eighty-five.

DENTON'S CORNERS,

a pleasant hamlet situated a little northwest of the central
part of the town, was first settled by a Mr. Spencer, in
1816. About 1823, Eobert Denton, a hatter by trade,
whom the old pioneers still living will remember as an in-
dustrious and enterprising individual, came in and settled
on the northwest corner of the cross-roads. He manufac-
tured and sold hats, and after the corners became .settled
they received the name of Denton's Corners, in honor of
him.

The place now contains one general store, one blacksmith-
shop, one saw-mill, one stave-mill, two cooper-shops, and
two churches, one each of the Methodist Episcopal and
Union Congi-egational denominations, and an estimated
population of one hundred.



VERMILLION

is situated on Catfish creek, in the north part of the town,
and near the line between New Haven and Palermo.
Among the early settlers in the village and vicinity were
Elijah Dickinson, Esq., Rev. Asel Harrington, Ebcnezcr
Wallace, Moses Gains, John Sayles, Sr., Benjamin Spencer,
Candlipp Pitcher, James Walworth, John Scott, Samuel
Perkins, some of whom settled as early as 1816, and most
of them prior to 1825.

The village now contains a grist-mill, a general store
owned by Ezra Ure, a pump-factory of which IngLTSoll &



Hill arc the proprietors, a tannery, and a Methodist Epis-
copal church. It is a post-village, and has an estimated
population of one hundred and seventy-five inhabitants.

PEATS CORNERS

is situated in the cast part of the town, and has a general
.store, a church of the Methodist Episcopal persuasion, and
a common school. Among the first settlers were Peter
Howe and Jesse Ilolbrook, who .settled there in 1813, also
Leander Scudder, Sr., Nathan Miller, Charles Peat, Alpheus
Wheeler, Nathaniel and Daniel Howls, Elijah Munger, and
Stephen Clark, who moved and settled in the town in
1820. Elom Thomas and family moved from Vermont,
with an ox-team, during the year 1818, and became per-
manent residents.

FLINTS CORNERS,

a mile north of Peat's, has a store and post-office, and a
blacksmith-shop. Among the first settlers in this vicinity
were Jacob Flint, Timothy Phelps, William Phcljis, who
settled as early as 1830.

SAYLE'S CORNERS,

a small hamlet one mile north of Denton's Corners, contains
a blacksmith-shop and a carriage- and wagon-shop, and has
a conglomerate of a few families.

THE CONGREGATIONAL UNION CHURCH AT DEXTON's
CORNERS.

The history of this church is somewhat complicated,
hence we deem it expedient to subjoin the following sketch
prepared by Mr. Jacob Kendall, of Volney, and furnished
us by Mr. J. L. Getman, of Palermo :

" The First Congregational church of Volney was organ-
ized in June, 1812. The church record prior to December
20, 1817, is missing. On that date I notice the name of
Obadiah Albe, who had previously united with the church.
Stephen Blake's name is also mentioned as a member. At
this time the church adopted the Presbyterian form of
government, and remained under such for nine years, when
it again adopted the Congregational polity. I see by the
record that as early as 1819 our church held meetings at
Jennings' Corners, calling it a branch of the church. Ste-
phen Blake and Seymour Coe were chosen ruling elders by
this part of the church on the 3d of August, 1823. This
branch of the church re()uested to be set oflF as a distinct
church, when Stephen Blake, Charity Blake, Miles Dun-
bar, Triphosa Dunbar, Seymour Coe, Phcebe Coe, Zenas
Dunbar, Lydia Dunbar, Ob.adiah Albe, Silas Bellows, Mary
Coe, Hannah Gaines, Hannah Jennings, Laura Blake, and
Hannah Harding were constituted the church of Palermo.
This church held its organization till the Congregational
Union church at Denton's Corners was formed, when the
members voted to change their organization, and with others
form that church. The first officers at Jennings' were
Oliver Leavitt, pastor; Miles Blake and Seymour Coe,
ruling eldui-s, and, I think, also deacons."



320



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



The pastors of the church at Denton's Corners have been
A. C. Lord, Norris Day, David Davis, George Blossom,
Olney Place. The pre.sent incumbent is Rev. Mr. Day.
The present officers are J. L. Getman, Peter Tooley, Reu-
ben Benton, William H. Crible, and George M. Tooley.

The church edifice was erected in 1838, meetings having
been previously held in the log school-house. Its size is
thirty by forty feet.

The first Sabbath-school was organized in 1816, by Sey-
mour Coe, who was its superintendent. The school was
held in his log dwelling-house.

THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF PALERMO

was organized in 1817, with Elder Enoch Ferris, pastor,
and the following-named persons as constituent members :
Elder Asaph Graves, Phineas Chapin, Rachel Chapin,
Henry Chapin, Harriet Chapin, Hannah Williams, Jona-
than Munger, and Rachel Hunger. The place of holding
public worship was near Palermo Centre, in private dwell-
ings and in the school-house. The preachers from the
organization to the present have been Elders Enoch Ferris,
John Evans, George Hills, Asaph Graves, and Rev. Mr.
Merritt.

The society was legally organized in 1835, and commenced
at once the erection of their church edifice, which was com-
pleted in 1836. It is located near Palermo Centre, is of
wood, and its dimensions are twenty-four by thirty feet.

The first deacon of the church was Asaph Graves. The
present deacons are Harvey Whitmore, Samuel Hart, Cyrus
Graves, Albert Graves, Alanson Graves, and John Hills.

There is no Sabbath-school at present connected with the
church, it being temporarily suspended.

THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF DENTON's
CORNERS

was not organized until 1860, although a class exi.stcd there
for more than a quarter of a century prior to that date.
The site for the church edifice was purchased in 1858.
The church was incorporated as the " Anti-Slavery Metho-
dist Episcopal church," etc., and is now known as such.
The first trustees after the organization wore Freeman
Waugh, Alexander Flint, and David L. Brown, Esq.
Among the prominent early members were David Andrews
and wife, Alexander Flint and wife, Harry Lansing and
wife, Charles Conkling and wife, Father Morris and wife,
David L. Brown and wife, E. L. Wallace and wife, Stephen



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 84 of 120)