Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 88 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 88 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


saw-mill, a brick-yard, a blacksmithy, a railroad depot, tele-
graph and express offices, and a hotel, a church (Univer-
salist), and a brick school-house, and about one hundred
and fifty inhabitants. There is a burying-ground here, in
which repose the remains of Dr. and Mrs. Pennell, and
also those of Henry W. Schroeppel. Near the place Mr.
Nelson Corey has recently erected a fine brick residence
(the largest farm dwelling in the county), and also the
largest barn in the county, illustrations of which can be
seen elsewhere in this work.

OAK ORCHARD RIFTS,

formerly used as a ford by the Indians, being the most con-
venient place for that purpose west of Brcwerton.

On the south side are evidences of an extensive burying-



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



ground, near wliich have been found many interesting Indian
antiquities.

Tlie first settler was David Winters, who built a log
house on the bank of the river, on lot 35, in 1807. George
Foster settled on the same lot in 1811. This is the same
party of whom we have written more fully in the history
of Phoenix.

In 1815, George C. Schroeppel settled on his estate, then
consisting of twenty-thousand acres. He settled on lots
34 and 35, and caused a saw-mill to be built on the Rifts,
in 1819 ; also a grist-mill was begun, but never finished.

There is a lock of the Oneida Slack-Water company's
Ciinal at the place, and it contains about one hundred in-
habitants.

TUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF GILBERT'S
MILLS.

A class of the Methodists of Gilbert's Mills and vicinity
was formed in the year 1826, and Hymen Sutton was
chosen class-leader, and held that position in 1831. In that
year there was quite an extensive revival, which was not
confined exclusively to the Methodists, but to all religious
denominations then represented in that locality. Prior to
this year the services consisted of week-day preaching once
in four weeks.

Among the members of the class in 1831 (no records
exist, and our informant, Mrs. Dr. W. B. Coy, could not
remember farther back) were Hymen Sutton and wife,
Elias Newton and wife, Asa Bailey and wife, Ira Sutton
and wife, Artemus Ross and wife, Patten Parker, wife, and
daughter (Mrs. Coy). Worship was held in private dwell-
ings and in the school-house until 1837, when the church
edifice was erected at Gilbert's Mills, but owing to a lack
of funds it was not completed until 1839, and was dedi-
cated early in 1840. The dedicatory sermon was preached
by Rev. Isaac Stone, the presiding elder of the district.

Among the first preachers were Revs. Densmore, Elisha
Wheeler, and Charles Northrup.

The present pastor is Rev. Le Roy Grant. The trustees
for Gilbert's Mills charge are A. C. Snyder, Hiram Parker,
and William Diefendorf The stewards are William P.
Wallace (recording steward), Wm. H. Eggleston, Sylvanus
Scudder, Oscar Smyth, William Ellsworth, Aaron Kellar,
John Perry, A. G. Clark, and G. GrofF. The present
membership is twenty-one.

The Sunday-school was first organized as a union school
about contemporary with the formation of the church, and
was conducted as such until 1861, when the schools were
separated, and the Baptists and Methodists each have one
now. The present superintendent is Mrs. Adelphia Grant,
Mrs. S. P. Coy assistant superintendent, and Addie C.
Grant secretary. The present number of teachers and
scholars is thirty-seven.

THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF PHCENIX.

The first Methodist sermon in this village was preached
in the school-house, by the Rev. L. Adkins, in 1838, at
which time the society was organized with ten members,
namely : Liberty Worden and wife, Thomas Flower, Har-
vey Loomis and wife, J. R. Names and wife, I. N. Butts



and wife, and Mrs. Davis. This little band had a hard
struggle for many years to maintain its existence. They
commenced to erect the present church edifice in 1838, but
did not complete it until 1856. The pastor under whose
labors it was built was Rev. P. H. Willis, but it was not
dedicated until Rev. W. L. Lisdell had been appointed as
pastor. It is a plain frame church, and cost about four
thousand dollars, and will accommodate about three hun-
dred persons.

The first trustees were I. Butts, M. Chesebro, Wm. Gil-
bert, Thomas Flower, G. Morehouse, and Dr. Cobb.

The present membership of the church is two hundred.
The pastor is Rev. A. H. Shurtliff, who has been with the
church one year. During the past winter he held very
successful revival meeting?, at which about three hundred
conversions were made. The Sabbath-school numbers one
hundred and seventy-five members, and is under the ad-
mirable superintendence of Prof Boothley, than whom no
better Sabbath-school disciplinarian or teacher exists in the
State. A devotion and earnestness pervades his manage-
ment of the school that is highly commendable. Among
the teachers are also Prof B. G. Clapp and wife. Both
church and Sunday-school are in a prosperous condition.

There is quite a prosperous society of Methodists at
Hinmansville, but we were unable to pi-ocure the necessary
information for its history.

An Advent church also exists in the town, but no one of
its members to whom we applied took sufficient interest in
it to furnish the data for a historical sketch ; hence the



FREE BAPTIST CHURCH OF GILBERT S MILLS.

Prior to 1830 meetings were held, and the ordinance of
baptism was celebrated in some few instances by ministers
of the Baptist denomination. The church society, how-
ever, was not regularly organized until February 26, 1831.
The organization was effected by Rev. Elder Benjamin
McKoon, who had previously preached in the vicinity, and
Avho afterwards became the pastor of the church. The con-
stituent members of this religious body were Josiah Chaf-
fee, Charles Smith, Jonathan Babcock, Albigence Chaffee
and wife, Percy Ayre, Polly Gardner, Clarissa Dayton, and
Johanna Chaffee.

The first deacons were Stephen Griffith and Harlow Mer-
rill. The first clerk was Deacon G. W. Turner, who has
held the office forty-five years consecutively.

The list of pastors from 1831 to 1877 includes the fol-
lowing names : Elders Benjamin McKoon, Ansel Griffith
(brother of Deacon Stephen Griffith), — who held the pas-
torate of the church for thirteen years, and was an earnest
and efficient divine, — John R. Page, Stephen Krum, Joseph
Wilson, John Noye, William Russell, William C. Byer,
David J. Whiting, H. A. Barker, William A. Stone, Amos
E. Wilson, S. W. Schoonover, and G. H. Button, the
present incumbent.

The church edifice was erected in the summer of 1837,
prior to which the society worshiped in the school-house
or in private dwellings. Deacon Turner, who did the
carpenter work on the house, informs us, from records in
his possession, that the frame was raised in July, 1837,



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



333



but the sacred edifice was not completed until 1839, in tlie
spring of which year it was appropriately dedicated to the
worship of God, the sermon for tlie occasion being preached
by Elder Robert Hunt, and the pastor in charge. Elder
Griffith, assisted in the exercises. The house is still stand-
ing, but in 1875 extensive repairs, alterations, and im-
provements were made to it, and in October of that year it
was rededicated by Elder R. L. Howard, assisted by the
pastor, Elder Schoonover.

The present officers of the church and society are
Stephen Griffith, G. W. Turner, and Elias Thomas, dea-
cons ; G. W. Turner, clerk ; Avery Smith, X. A. Willard,
and Stephen P. Mason, trustees. The present membership
is one hundred and six.

There has been a Sabbath-school connected with the
church most of the time since its organization, sometimes
in connection with other religious denominations. There
is now a flourishing and prosperous Sabbath-school, num-
bering eighty teachers and scholars, with Elmer W. Coe as
superintendent.

l^Nute. — We wish here to compliment the efficient clerk
of the church. Deacon G. W. Turner, for the admirable
manner in which he has kept the church records for nearly
half a century. There is so great a laxity in this matter in
the churches generally that when we meet with a well-kept
and accurate record, we feel as though those who have been
instrumental in its preservation deserve an everlasting crown
of glory, or some other inestimable reward. — Editor.]

THE FREE BAPTIST CHORCH OP PHCENIX

was organized September 2, 18-16, with eighteen members,
namely : Walter Peck, Thos. Clough, Albert Clough and
wife, Almira Clough, Harvey Hollister and wife, Stephen
Bachelder and wife, G. W. Oak&s and wife, Sally Ann Rice,
Chas. Higby and wife, Joel Morseman and wife, John G.
Hull and wife.

The first church officers were Walter Peck, deacon ; Har-
vey Hollister, treasurer; John G. Hull, clerk. The suc-
cession of pastors has been : Elders J. B. Page, 0. W.
Smith, W. W. Sterricker, S. Bathrick, B. H. Damon, C.
Putnam, D. Jackson, C. Cook, S. Aldrieh, E. Crowell, Wm.
McKee, J. H. Durkee, the present incumbent.

The church edifice was erected in 1851, during the pas-
torate of Rev. W. W. Sterricker. The building committee
were Walter Peck, John P. Rice, W. W. Sterricker, David
S. Tabor, and Josiah Chaffee. The dimensions of the build-
ing are forty by fifty-eight feet, and its cost about two thou-
sand dollars. The present membership is one hundred and
thirty-five. Deacons, Josiah Chafiee, S. M. Parsons, and J.
P. Burleigh.

A flourishing Sunday-school is connected with the church,
having a membership of one hundred and twenty. Super-
intendent, G. H. Parsons ; Secretary, William Thompson ;
Treasurer, Mrs. Saddlemire.



THE FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF PHCENIX

was organized June 14, 1837, with the following constituent
members, namely : John Squire and wife, Mrs. Delia Buell,



Hezokiah Barnes and wife, Catharine Barnes, AFr-s. Thoo-
do.sia Wall, .Mrs. Anna Bourke, Isaac Wing and wife, Simeon
Chapin, Ira Davis and wife, Mr.s. C. Davis, Mary Ann Hill,
Samuel Merry and wife, Huldah Candee, and Julia A.
Candee. Rev. J. Eastman officiated at the organization of
the church. The first deacons were Ilczokiah Banie-s,
James B. Richardson, and Samuel Merry.

The pastoi-s and stated supplies have been as follows:
Benjamin Cadwell, in 1841 ; A. C. Lathrop, G. N. Todd,
L. Dada, H. S. Redfiey, S. R. Vorheis, J. V. Hilton, Ovid
Miner, Rev. Mr. Bosworth, E. Perkins, J. H. Munsel, H.
P. Bake, the present incumbent.

The first church edifice was erected in 1837, and served
the congregation until 1875, when the present substantial
brick house was built. It was dedicated January 31, 1875.
The dedicatory sermon was delivered by Rev. Mr. Robin-
son, of Homer. The building has a .seating aipacity for
about five hundred persons, and cost twelve thousand dol-
lare. The present membership of the church is one hundred
and seventeen.

The present officers of the church and society are: Sam-
uel Jlerry, C. W. Candee, David Porter, and Van R. Sweet,
deacons; and C. W. Candee, E. G. Hutchinson, G. H.
Northrup, Samuel Flynn, A. P. Hart, and David Porter,
trustees.

From 1841 to 18G3 the church connected with the pres-
bytery of Oswego, under the accommodation plan.

The Sabbath-school was organized about 1845. The
present membership is one hundred and fifty. The super-
intendent is Deacon David Porter ; and the secretary, F. A.
Cartter.

The church and Sabbath-school are both in a prosperous
and flourishing condition.

THE FIRST UNIVERSALIST SOCIETY OF SCHROliPPEL

was organized in 1870, and their present neat and commo-
dious building was erected the same year, and dedicated in
June, 1871, by Rev. S. Rice. It is thirty-two by fifty-six
feet, and cost three thousand five hundred dollars. It has
a seating capacity for about two hundied and fifty. The
present membership is sixty-six. Trustees, Phiueas Con-
verse, Nelson Corey, and Stephen Chappell; Treasurer,
Stephen Chappell ; Cle»k, Orrin Wallace.

The Sunday-school was organized in July, 1871, under
the superintendency of Rev. S. Rice. Membership, thirty-
five ; volumes in library, sixty. 0. P. Burleigh, superin-
tendent ; E. L. Kimball, clerk ; Florence Gregg, treasurer.

We are indebted to the following gentlemen for informa-
tion and assistance in the compilation of the above history
of Schroeppel :

Thomas R. Hawley, Reuben Sutton, Andrus Gilbert,
Deacons Stephen Griffith and G. W. Turner, A. W.
Schroeppel, Joseph Vickery, Dr. D. Conger, M. M. Car-
ter, A. H. Brainard, Esq., Fjuoch S. Brooks, Captain Amasa
P. Hart, J. M. Williams (editor of the Phoenix Register),
Samuel and Edmund Merry, C. W. Candee, Harvey Wen-
dell (for access to the township records), and many others
not mentioned.



HISTORY OP OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH.



REUBEN SUTTON

was born at Manlius, Onondaga county, New York, July
9, 1818. In March following his parents removed to Os-
wego County, where he has since resided. They settled
on the east half of lot 13, on Scriba's patent, at a time
when the present town of Schroeppel was a wilderness.
They experienced the usual hardships and difficulties con-
nected with the lives of pioneers. Mr. Sutton, Sr., pur-
chased and improved two or three different farms, and
finally bought one hundred and twenty acres on large lots
2 and 3, which Reuben helped to clear. At the age of
twenty he taught school in Palermo, having qualified him-
self for the position of teacher by self study and close ap-
plication to the books contained in the old Volney library,
of which his father was a stockholder, and some of the
books of which the subject of this sketch still possesses.
At the age of twenty-one he was elected school in.^pector.
which office he held until it was abolished. On the I'ith
of November, 1843, he was joined in wedlock with Miss
Eliza Ann Gregg, by whom he has four children, — two
girls and two boys.

Mr. Sutton is a public-spirited man, and always does
his share towards any enterprise calculated to benefit his
town. He subscribed five hundred dollars to the Midland
railroad, but when, in 1871, they tried to bond the town-
ship to the extent of one hundred and twenty thousand dol-
lars, in behalf of a worthless railroad corporation, he fought
against the measure, and was largely instrumental in its
defeat. He spent a great deal of time and some money in
preventing the lobbyists from getting the bill through the
legislature, and much credit is due for his exertions in the
cause of honesty and right.

In 1870 he sustained the misfortune of losing his beloved
wife, who had been his faithful companion for nearly thirty
years. On the 14th of April, 1871, he was married to
Amanda Hamilton, a widow lady, with whom he was ac-
quainted in his younger days. They live very happily to-
gether, and assist each other in smoothing the rough places
in the down-hill side of life.

For the past two years Mr. Sutton's sons have worked
the farm, and while not idle by any means, yet he purposes,
with God's assistance, to enjoy the fruits of his labors
during the rest of his life, which is the most sensible thing
for him to do. When a man has toiled and cared for years,
and by dint of industry and perseverance has secured a
competence, he is a fool to slave on to the end, and leave
his means, perchance, for future litigation by his heirs.
Many such there are, but those who know Reuben Sutton
are aware of his sound common sense, excellent judgment,
and kindly disposition. Long may he live to enjoy the
fruits of his industrious youth and busy manhood ; and we
feel confident that he will maintain the good character he
has won, and retain to the last the respect and the esteem
of those who have the pleasure of his acquaintance. (See
illustration and portraits.)



MILITARY RECORD OF SCHROEPPEL/



James Askell. In the service in 1865.

Daniel Auringer. No record given.

Charles Allen. Enlisted in Co. D, 110th Inf., Aug. fi, 1862 ; mustered
as corporal; discharged Aug. 28, 1865.

Augustus Albro. Enlisted in Co. D, 110th, Aug. 6, 1862; died at
Fort Jefferson, Florida, March 28, 1864.

Edwin J. Austin. Enlisted in Barnes' 2d Battery, Aug. 23, 1862;
discharged September 9, 1863.

George E. Albro. Enlisted in Co. I, 24th Cav., Jan. 5, 1864; dis-
charged July 9, 1865.

George Appcll. Enlisted in Co. I, 193d Inf., March 26, 1865 ; in the
service in 1865.

John Anthony. Enlisted Jan. 28, 1865; substitute.

Charles II. Allen. Enlisted in Co. H, 9th Rcgt., Feb. 4, 1864; dis-
charged Sept. 29, 1865.

Charles L. Burley. Enlisted in Co. F, 81st Regt., Sept. 14, 1861 ;
promoted to corporal.

AVilliam H. Bro«n (2d). Enlisted in Co. F, 81st Regt., as corporal,
Aug. 31, 1861 ; was wounded before Petersburg.

William Bishop. Enlisted in Co. F, 81st Regt., Sept. 16, 1861.

Edward C. Burdick. Enlisted in Co. E, 149th Regt., March 24,
1864; discharged Aug. 1, 1865.

Albert Barnard. Enlisted in Co. F, 81st Regt., Jan. 17, 1863; was
wounded at the battle of Cold Harbor.

Charles Brown. Enlisted in Co. A, 24th Cav., Jan., 1864.

Francis G. Brown. Enlisted in Co. A, 24th Cav., Jan., 1864.

Peter Bartow. Enlisted in Co. D, 110th Inf., Aug. 9, 18G2 ; dis-
charged Aug. 28, 1865.

William Smith Bradley. Enlisted in Co. D, Aug. 11, 1862 ; promoted
to captain May 28, 1864.

John H. Brookins. Enlisted in 21st Battery, Aug. 27, 1862.

George Bell. Enlisted in 21st Battery, Aug. 26, 1862.

Francis G. Barnes. Enlisted as 1st licut., Sept. 13, 1862; discharged
Sept. 9, 1865.

Edwin Bu.



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 88 of 120)