Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 91 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 91 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1819; was appointed a surrogate in 1819, and again in
1845; appointed sheriff in 1821, and elected to the same
office in 1822.

Dr. S. H. Kinne was the second physician of the town,
and a very prominent man. Mr.Cummings settled just
northeast of the village at first, but in 1818 located at
Cummings' Mill, in the south part of the town, where he
died in 1876 at the age of eighty years. Eason, Kelsey,
and Parsons settled near Butterfly. Norman Rowe came in
from Paris, Oneida county, and settled just northwest of
the village in February, 1817. About 1836 he moved
to the village, where he has resided ever since. If he
should live until January 1, 1878, he will have served forty
years as a justice of the peace. He has also served two
terms as sheriff of the county, besides holding many other
civil and military oflSces.

Samuel G. Merriam should be mentioned as one of the
leading men. He came to the village in 1832, and the
next year was appointed a commissioner of deeds. He held
the responsible position of postmaster for thirty-two years,
and was for forty years a prominent merchant at the village,
where he now resides.

BUSINESS.

The making of potash was entered into quite exten-
sively at an early date, and that was about the only article
that brought ready cash. It was shipped to Montreal, and
its transportation formed quite an important branch of



The first ashery was a log one, built by Orris Hart, just
east of the village, in 1816, and was succeeded by a frame
one -in 1823. The second one was built at the " Hollow,"
about 1818, by Mr. Hutohins. Still another, for making
pearl-ash, was run by Mr. Bromley about the same time,
some two and a half miles southwest of the village. The
making of whisky was another branch of business ; but
that was more particularly for home consumption. At a
later date the raising of fruit, especially apples, was quite
extensively carried on. Later still, the raising of cattle
and making of butter and cheese took the lead. Recently,
the cultivation of berries is the most important branch of
business. New Haven is an enterprising town, and the
people are always going into something that will pay.



The first saw-mill was built atCheever's, in 1805, by Iia
Hoat. The second, at the " Hollow," about 1811, by Tim-



othy Norton. The third, at Gridley's, about half a mile
below, on the same stream, in 1816. The fourth, at Cum-
mings', in the south part of the town, about 1816. Mr.
Cummings has built no less than three mills on the same
site since 1818. In 1850 there were seven saw-mills in
town, but there are now only four. The first grist-mill was
built at Cheever's, in 1809, by Waldo Brayton, and the sec-
ond at the " Hollow," about 1815, by Hezekiah Nichols
and Nathaniel Marvin. The first stave-machine (or mill)
was built at the " Hollow," in 1845, by Daniel B. Van Buren
and John D. Reed.

DISTILLERIES.

The first was built at Cheever's, about 1810, by John
White; the second, just east of the village, in 1818, by
Orris Hart; and the third soon after (1820), at the Hol-
low, by Barton and Doolittle. It is hard to say, but never-
thelsss true, that there have been three distilleries in New
Haven. At present it is a strong temperance town, and
grants no license to sell liquor. The first distillery was a
very small one, and was out of operation before the other
two were built.

FOUNDRY.

There has been but one in town, and that was previous
to 1840. This at first was run by Richard Eason, and
afterwards by him and Hosea Cornish. It was situated in
the village, and was in existence between 1830 and 1840,
but on rather a small scale.

DOCTORS.

The first was Eliphalet Colt, who was also the first officer
of the town. He remained until about 1830. Stephen F.
Kinne was the second physician ; he remained in town
until near 1839. The next was Samuel Stewart, who came
about 1827, and was followed by Dr. Lee, in 1828. The
last was a man of especially good medical education. The
next was John G. Ayer, in 1833, who was likewise well
educated. Dr. E. M. Joslin came into town in 1838, and
left in 1842. Dr. A. W. Robinson came in 1842, and
moved west about 1854. He was a brother of Rev. Ralph
Robinson, and was a well-read physician. Dr. S. P. John-
son succeeded Dr. Robinson, and was followed in turn by
Dr. Geo. G. Whitaker, now the only practitioner of the
regular, or allopathic, school in town. A. S. Rockwell was
also one of the physicians of New Haven for a short time
previous to 1875.

Of the eclectic physicians, the first was John Ash, some
forty years ago. The second was Amos Austin, from 1847
to 1862. Then followed his brother James, who opened a
drug-store about 1862, the first in town. Dr. James Man-
warren succeeded Austin, and was himself followed by Dr.
Jewell. Dr. Amos Austin has returned to town during
the past year, and is now practicing there for the second
time.

LAWYERS.

For this class of persons we shall have to write blank,
as there never was one a resident of the town. One at-
torney talked about settling there, but was informed that he
could not live in town by practicing law, and therefore aban-
doned the project.





•\^ i'lX^ /



A.M. Barton.



MRS. ft. H.Barton.



Alexander Hamilton Barton was born in that
portion of the town of Paris, Oneida county, New York,
since erected into the town of Marshall, June 1, 1805.
His parents, David and Lydia Barton, had removed from
Leyden, Massachusetts, and settled in Paris in 1793. They
were the first settlers in Marshall. The subject of this
sketch was the eighth in a family of nine children, and, in
addition to the education received in the common schools
of that day, was prepared for admission to college in a Mas-
sachusetts seminary, but never entered upon his collegiate
course. In 1825 fourteen families removed from Hanover
Society in said town to the town of New Haven, — no mean
accession to the then infant settlement. In the spring of
1826 Mr. Barton followed, and immediately entered into co-
partnership with Chauncey B. Doolittle in the mercantile
business. In 1829 Mr. Doolittle transferred his interest to
Stephen Luce. In 1833, at the request of his father, who
had made an unfortunate investment in a manufecturing
business in Canada, Mr. Barton sold out his interest in the
New Haven store, and removed to Toronto to protect his
father's rights and close up the business there. In 1836
he removed from Toronto to Deansville, Oneida county,
where he engaged in trade until 1838, when he returned to
New Haven and settled upon the fiirm where he remained
until the date of his death, April 27, 1854. October 13,
1829, Mr. Barton was married to Miss Cornelia Eveline
Marvin, daughter of Nathaniel and Julia Marvin, who were
among the first settlers in New Haven, then a part of Mex-
ico. They came from Clinton, Oneida county, in 1810,
transporting themselves and their scanty household effects
in a flat- or Durham-boat by way of the Mohawk river,
Wood creek, Oneida lake, and Oswego river to Oswego.
Thence by lake to Pleasant point. Mrs. Marvin ran the
perilous passage of the rapids and fidls of the Oswego river,
near Fulton, in tlieir frail boat. They settled upon the farm
long known as the " Tanner place," in the north part of the
town, when not a stick of the original forest had been cut.



Here, on the 10th day of March, 1812, Mrs. Barton was
born.

Mr. Barton was one of the earliest to espouse the anti-
slavery cause, when to do so with activity was to incur op-
position and even opprobium ; but ho deemed no sacrifice too
great in any matter when conscience and love of his fellow-
men directed him to act. He took the same advanced
position in the temperance cause.

He was engaged in trade at a time when the inhabitants
of the new settlement had but little money at command,
and were obliged to depend almost wholly upon barter of
their crops in all their dealings at the country store. Owing
to this fact, and following what then was a common practice
of merchants, the firm erected a distillery to convert the
corn and lye of the neighborhood into whisky, which could
be more readily transported and converted into cash in
distant markets. But the temperance wave starting in Bos-
ton about 1825, reached him a few years later; and so
thoroughly was his conscience convicted of error, that at
the serious sacrifice of investment and business interests he
closed his distillery, refusing either to continue it himself
or to sell to another for such use. This action was charac-
teristic of the man in whatever reform engaged. Under
the old systems of town inspectors of schools and of town
superintendency, he was often chosen to those positions.
As a magistrate, a position occupied by him during eight
years, he chose to act the part of a peacemaker. Very few
cases commenced before him were ever brought to trial ; he
dreaded litigated contests with a shudder, because of the
bitter passions and strifes engendered by them, so discordant
to his own nature. His aim was to make each litigant
recognize whatever of justice there might be in his oppo-
nent's claim, and thus to establish a basis of compromise.
In this he was usually successful. He was never very
robust in his physical development, and died while in the
prime of his usefulness, at the age of forty-nine years.
His widow still survives him.





EDWARD W.ROBINSON.



MRS EDWARD W.ROBINSON




ffCSIDENCE OF [HOWARD \V RodlNSON lOfit, OF M fi t MIN OSWEGO ^0 \ f



HISTORY OF OSWKGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



343



SCHOOLS.
The town has twelve school districts, the one at tlie vil-
lage being No. 5, with a graded school. The number of
children between the ages of five and twenty-one in 1871)
was six hundred and two. Amount of public money, in-
cluding the library, was thirteen hundred and seventy-six
dollars and forty-sis cent*;. The first school was taught, in
180G, by Harriet Easton, daughter of David Easton.
Sherman Hosmer taught a school at Butterfly in 1808. The
present school-houses are mostly new ; the one at the vil-
lage being built of brick and the one at Cheever's of stone.

MERCHANTS.

Anson Drake was the first, in 1809, at the village. He
was succeeded in 1816 by Orris Hart, who was followed by
Samuel Cherry. Samuel G. Merriam began the mercantile
business in 1833, in which he remained for forty years. He
retired from the business in 1873, and was succeeded by
Rowe & Wilmarth, and then by the present firm of Rowe
& Snow. Stephen Luce opened a store at the Hollow in
1829, and was in business there ten years. Hewett &
Goodsell had a store in the stone hotel building for several
years, about 1860. A store has been kept at the depot for
a number of years, and is now run by 0. Woodworth.
John White kept a store at Cheever's Mills as early as 1810.
The first drug-store was kept by Dr. Jumes Austin, about
1862. Silas Allen and Solomon White, Jr., were merchants
at the village from 1850 to 1856, or thereabouts. B. J.
Hale & Son have an extensive coffin wareroom at the vil-
lage in connection with their undertaking business. It dates
back to about 1844.

HOTELS.

The first was opened at the village in 1810, by Ezra
May. Soon after, one was opened by Andrew Place, at
May's Corners, and another by Joseph Boynton, two miles
west of the village. Jesse Smith built one just back of the
present stone hotel about 1826, and Samuel Allen opened
one a little west of the Congregational church in 1823.
The stone hotel was built by Richard Eason about 1850 or
1851. The brick one was erected in 1824 by Ezra May.
The town had three at a time for a while after 1828, but
can now boast of only one, which is a temperance house,
kept by A. M. May.

POST-OFFICES AND POSTMASTERS.

The first post-office in town was established at West
Mexico, January 19, 1813, with Joseph Bailey as post-
master. The office was kept at Mr. Bailey's house, about
two miles west of the village. Its name was changed to
New Haven, December 25, 1819, and Orris Hart appointed
postmaster. Samuel G. Merriam was appointed postmas-
ter February 8, 1833 ; Solomon White, Jr., July 23, 1853 ;
Silas Hart, January 30, 1858; S. G. Merriam, June 28,
1861, and Augastus F. Rowe, January 2, 1873.

" Butterfly" was established January 31 , 1828, with John
Parsons as postmaster. Sterling Newell was appointed
September 14, 1844; John Parsons again November 22,
1848; John Parsons, Jr., June 13, 1849 ; and Avery W.
Severance, February 23, 1858. The office was discon-
tinued January 13, 1870.



" South New Haven," the third and last office, was estab-
lished eiirly in the spring of 1877, in the southwest part of
the town, with George II. Patten as postmaster.

The first mail-stage was run through the town from Utica
to Oswego, and thence west, in 1823.

THE CONORKOATIONAL CHI RCH

was organized July 30, 1817, the society having been
formed just one month previously. Revs. John Dunlap
and David R. Dixon presided. The former was a mission-
ary, and the latter the pastor of the Mexico church. Thir-
teen persons united with the church at its organization,
whose names are as follows: Stephen H. Kinne, Daniel
Hitchcock and Esther his wife, Ari Rowe and Wealthy his
wife, Norman Rowe and Mary his wife, Atwood Aikcns
and Hannah his wife, Rebecca Hitchcock, Polly Harman,
Seth S. Sweatland, Esther Delano. Norman Rowe is the
only survivor. The first trustees of the society were Daniel
Hitchcock, Seth Severance, Seth S. Sweatland, Norman
Rowe, Roswell Harman, and William Taylor.

The Rev. William Williams was the first .settled minister.
He was from Granville, Washington county, and began his
labors in 1820. Previous to his coming the church was
favored with only occasional preaching. Mr. Williams'
successors, with their terms of services, when known, were
as follows: Rev. Ralph Robinson, two years, beginning in
1828; Rev. Oliver W. Ayer, two years; Rev. Ichabod A.
Hart, one year ; Rev. Isaac Headly, one year ; Rev. Samuel
Swezey, three years ; Seth Smalley, one year ; Rev. Hugh
Carlisle, Rev. Mr. Whiting, Rev. Mr. Hoyt, Rev. Erastus
Kellogg, Rev. Amos Seeley, in 1845; Rev. Ralph Robin-
son, who came a second time, in the fall of 1846 ; Rev. W.
W. Warner, who came in April, 1854 ; Rev. Hiram Dyer,
who began in June, 1855 ; Rev. John Reid, who came
January 1, 1861, and .served seven years; Rev. Thomas
Bayne, three years; Rev. John T. Mar.sh, one year; Rev.
Lewis Jessup, who began preaching in September, 1872.
Mr. Jessup was followed by Rev. Olney Place, October 11,
1874, who is the present pastor.

Rev. Mr. Robinson preached for fifty years, and died in
New Haven, in May, 1863, at the age of eighty-three.

The appointments of deacons of the church have been
as follows: Ari Rowe and Daniel Hitchcock at the organ-
ization, in 1817; Samuel Allen, 1822; William Marvin,
Joseph Barton, Charles Nichols, and Job Doud, in 1834;
Norman Rowe, December 10, 1852; and Edward W.Rob-
inson, March 8, 1873. According to the last report there
arc one hundred and nine members of the church. The
present church edifice was built in 1824, and has been kept
in good repair up to the present time.

THE BAPTIST CHCRCH.

A Baptist society was formed in town soon after tlic
Congregational, and a brick edifice was built in the year
1825. The society had only occasional preaching, and after
a while the meetings were discontinued on account of the
small number of church-going people of that denomina-
tion.

The old brick church was finally sold, and taken down



344



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



some years since. A leading member of that church and
one who stood by it to the hist was Captain Cyrus Sever-
ance, but he was called away by death several years ago.

THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHUECH.

The first meetings of this church were held near Peleg
Davis', in the east part of the town, on the State road, as
early as 1815 ; some of the members being residents of
Mexico. In 1833 or 1834 a class was formed at New
Haven village, with Reuben Halliday as leader. This only
continued for a short time, and then disbanded. After this,
in 1830, a permanent class was formed, of which Henry K.
Marvin was the first leader, who held the position a long
time. The first members of this class were David Field
and wife, Nicholas Chesebro and wife. Nelson Davis and wife,
and Ezekiel Lewis and wife. The first trustees were David
Field, Nelson Davis, Nicholas Chesebro, Ezekiel Lewis, and
Alvin Buell. The first ministers were Charles Northrop
and Joseph Crags, then followed Anson Tuller, B. Holmes,
David Stone, Freeman Hancock, H. Kinsley, A. M. Kowe,
and Almon Chapin. In 1851-52, William Peck and Reu-
ben Reynolds were the preachers. In 1859, J. Smedley
and J. Slee were on the circuit. They wore succeeded in
turn by Hiram Nichols, W. I. Richards, J. H. Burk, H.
S. Holmes, J. S. George, W. H. Brown, C. Manson, and
E. H. Waugh.

The first church edifice was built in 1848, and the second
and last one in 1876. The latter is a very fine building
for so small a village, being a frame, laid up on the outside
with brick. The whole cost was about seven thousand
dollars. To the industry, energy, and economical manage-
ment of the pastor, Rev. Charles Manson, who was on the
charge when the church was built, the society is very much
indebted for their handsome edifice. The church has an
excellent bell weighing about one thousand pounds, the gift
of two of the members of the society.

It should have been stated that previous to 1853 the
circuit was very large and was supplied by two preachers,
who preached alternately, once in four weeks each ; services
on the intervening Sundays being sometimes conducted by
Morris Place.

SECRET SOCIETIES.

There have been several in town, but most of them of
short duration. About 1850 the Odd-Fellows had a lodge,
but it was soon disbanded. After this the Sons of Temper-
ance, flourished from 1850 to 1855. The next was the
Good Templars, a short time previous to 1874. The
Patrons of Husbandry then organized the New Haven
grange. No. 52, January 16, 1874, with the following
ofiicere : Worthy Master, Charles S. Cheever ; Overseer,
Edward W. Robinson ; Lecturer, Henry J. Daggett ;
Steward, Willard W. Squires ; Chaplain, E. G. Hewett ;
Assistant Stewards, Solomon White and Mrs. H. A. Stacey ;
Ceres, Mrs. D. B. Van Buren ; Pomona, Mrs. W. W.
Squires ; Flora, Mrs. E. G. Hewett ; Secretary, John Van
Buren ; Treasurer, H. A. Stacey. The present ofiicers
(1877) are as follows: Worthy Master, D. B. Van Buren ;
Overseer, W. W. Squires ; Lecturer, S. White ; Steward,
J. S. Oxner ; Assistant Stewards, J. M. Barker and Mrs.



J. S. Oxner; Chaplain, C. S. Cheever; Treasurer, B. S.
Drake ; Secretary, John Van Buren ; Gate-keeper, Daniel
Lawton ; Ceres, Mrs. D. B. Van Buren ; Pomona, Mrs. W.
W. Squires ; Flora, Mrs. C. S. Cheever. The present mem-
bership numbers fifty. IMeetings are held on the first and
third Fridays of each month.

A second Odd-Fellows' lodge, called Beacon Light, No.
464, was organized in July, 1877, with the following ofii-
cers: Dr. George G. Whitaker, N. G. ; H. J. Daggett,
V. G. ; George S. Hale, R. S. N. G. ; A. F. Aird, L. S. N. G. ;
William B. Scarles, R. S. V. G. ; H. A. Stacy, L. S. V. G. ;
John Van Buren, R. S. ; Malcolm Stevens, P. S. ; J. S.
Oxner, Treasurer ; Wallace Halliday, Chaplain ; J. M.
Barker, C. ; Marshall Parker, 'W.; Charles Woodward,
R. S. S. ; Frank Stevens, L. S. S. ; Henry Stacy, I. G. ;
and A. M. May, O. G.

CEMETERIES.

There are two in town, — one at the village and the
other at Butterfly. The former is probably the finest in
the county, considering the smallness of the village in
which it is situated. It contains at least twenty monu-
ments, from ten to twenty-two feet in height, costing from
seventeen hundred dollars down, besides many marble slabs
of handsome design and beautiful finish. The memorial
of the most public interest, however, is the soldiers' monu-
ment, dedicated to the memory of those who fell in the war
for the Union. It stands nearly in the centre of the ceme-
tery, and was erected May 30, 1870. It is of Italian
marble, about eighteen feet in height, and has engraved on
its four sides the names of forty-four soldiers who were
killed or died from wounds received in the late war. The
principal inscription reads, — " Erected to the memory of
New Haven's gallant sons who died for their country."
The names and ages upon the monument are as follows :
North side— William Wiles, 26; William Barnes, 34;
Joseph S. King, 23 ; Henry 0. Wing, 20 ; Seth Hubbard,
38; Dennis Doyle, 24; Leonard Wiles, 19; Lemuel Gul-
lion, 31; Jabez E. Spaulding, 19; J. W. Gullion, 36;
Granville S. Woodall, 17. South side — William H. Mays,
17 ; John Green, 21 ; Benson Davis, 21 ; Joseph S. Mun-
ger, 21 ; James Redding, 20; William H. Crawford, 30;
William S. Harrington, 23; Manville G. Looker, 19;
Hamilton N. Wilcox, 27 ; Paul W. Walsworth, 23 ; Fran-
cis L. Harrington, 32. East side— A. J. Bassett, 22;
William W. Wood, 25; John Wilbur, 41; John E.
Bowen, 21; Eli Cornwall, 19; Oscar H. Fields, 32;
Chauncey G. Snell, 20 ; Horace D. Cheever, 26 ; Franklin
W. Coan, 20 ; Lorenzo D. Goodrich, 38 ; Lorenzo S. Doo-
little, 38. West side— William H. Taylor, 18 ; William*'
E. Taylor, 17 ; Oscar Drake, 31 ; Henry Fuller, 22 ; Amos
N. Kibbe, 26 ; John B. Dawson, 29 ; Noble S. Green, 22 ;
George B. Smith, 18; Chester A. Drake, 21 ; Rozelle J.
Whitney, 22 ; Chandler A. Rathbun, 22.

POPULATION OF THE TOW.N.
The population at diff'erent periods has been as follows :
In 1835, 1551 ; 1840, 1737 ; 1850, 2015 ; 1860, 2073 ;
1870, 1764; and in 1875, 1728. Valuation, $659,251.




V/EWS AT CAPr HENRY J. V




^£Tr 'S . New Haven, Osm&o CoJ.Y.



r H TOUfh liS Dci.



I







Pkominkntlt identified with the early settlement of New
Haven and vicinity we find the subject of this sketch. Nor-
man, son of Ori and (Bull) Rowe, was born January 2,

1795, in Litchfield county, Connecticut. In 1803 his father
and family of seven children moved to Vernon, Oneida county.
New York, and in 1808 to Paris, the same county. The family
being large and in very moderate circumstances, young Nor-
man, at the age of nine, went to live with another family.
When in his sixteenth year he was hound out to a farmer
named Reuben Austin until he attained his majority, the
consideration being one hundred dollars and a suit of clothes.
Under these circumstances his educational advantages were
slim. He gained some knowledge by the regular perusal of
a newspaper he borrowed, and by a friend gaining access for
him to a circulating library. He is therefore pre-eminently
a self-educated man, for he gained quite a large amount of
useful knowledge. On the breaking out of the war of 1812,
young Norman, being eligible for military duty, was ordered
to Sackett's Harbor, and while there contracted a sickness
from the effects of whic}i he is still a sufferer. So much for
his patriotism. '

On the 16th of February, 1816, he was united in marriage
to Miss Mary Moore, of Oneida county. He and his brother
then embarked in the boot and shoe manufacturing business,
and also conducted a small tannery at the same time. Febru-
ary 17, 1817, he and his wife came to New Haven, this county,
purchased fifty acres of land, and meeting with indifferent
success, owing to the difficulty of raising money in those days,
was obliged to leave the land with what improvements he had
made. He then settled on and cleared the farm now occupied
by George W. Daggett, where he remained until the spring
of 1886. He then removed to the village of New Haven,
where in 1841 he erected the house in which he now resides.
In the spring of 1827 he was elected assessor of New Haven
township, and the following fall to the office of justice of the
peace, which office he has held almost continuously ever since,
(except while sheriff of the county in 1840). His judgment
was excellent, and it was seldom that any judgments rendered
by him were reversed by the higher courts. He has held



various other township offices, among which that of township
clerk for fifteen years, and supervisor in 1839-40, at which
time he was chairman of the board, to which office he was
elected by the Whig party almost without opposition. In 1840
he was also elected sheriff of Oswego County, which office he
held three years. He was again elected to the same office in
1845-61. His successor desiring him to attend to the duties of
the office, he was virtually sherifl' until 1854. He removed
with his family to Oswego in 1850, and took chargeof the jail,



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 91 of 120)