Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 93 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 93 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


joined by his brother, William Claxton, within a few years.
Together they cleared a large tract of land and erected
comfortable buildings, but sold out to BIr. Richard Carter,
and took up other lots in the town. Both died, leaving
largo families of children, most of whom have since moved
to the western States. John Drought settled upon the east
half of lot No. 139. The farm is occupied at present by
Mr. David Morton. Mr. Drought lived upon this place
until the year 1828, when he sold out to Julian and Rich-
ard Carter, and moved with his family to Camden, Oneida
county, where he died.

Sage Parke settled upon lots Nos. 14 and 29, but sold
out within a short time to John Moore, and purchased lot
No. 105, where he lived until shortly before his death, which
occurred at the residence of his son-in-law, at Amboy Cen-
tre. In the year 1822 (being seventeen years after the
settlement made by Mr. Perkins), Mr. Joseph Murphy
built the first saw-mill in town. During the summer of the
next year the first school was taught by Cynthia Stoddard.
The following winter a school-house was built upon lot No.
27. It was constructed of four-inch planks, notched to-
gether much after the manner of constructing log houses. It
was the only school-house in that part of the town for a
great number of years, and is still standing.
348



No event of unusual interest occurred during these years
of early settlement. Situated in the woods, and distant
from the usual route of travel, they labored on uncomplain-
ingly. Each little clearing gradually increased in size, and
though the forest still covered the greater part of the town-
ship, yet numerous small tracts were placed under cultiva-
tion and yielded annually their due reward to industry.

l)uring the years 1822-23 a large number of settlers
came into the town, most of them from the Eastern States.
Among them were John Gr. Howard and William Henry,
from Rhode Island, Horace Foote, from Clinton, and
Archibald Chapman. The first regular hotel was opened
in the fall of 1822, at what is known as the five corners,
upon lot No. 26. This building was owned by Ephraim
Mowrey, and was a double log house. Mr. Mowrey kept a
hotel in it for a number of years, but afterwards put up a
fine frame structure upon lot No. 11.

In 1824, Mr. Sage Parke erected the first grist-mill in
town. It contained only a single run of stone, and was
intended for grinding corn and other coarse grain.

The same year the Free- will Baptist society was organized
(in 1824), with Rev. Truman Gillet as pastor. Services were
held from time to time in various private buildings in the
town.

All this time it will be remembered that township No.
6 was a part of the town of Wiiliamstown. Early in 1830
the people made up their minds to be set oif into a new
town, and a meeting of the citizens was called to determine
on a good name for it. Several names were proposed, dis-
cussion ensued, and the meeting was held until a late hour,
but finally adjourned without being able to decide the mo-
mentous question. Another followed, with the same result.
A third and fourth ensued, but still township No. 6 was
nameless. At length, at the fifth meeting, Mr. Frederick
Andrews proposed the name of Amboy, from the town thus
called in New Jersey. This suggestion met with general
favor, the name in (juestion was sent forward to the legisla-
ture, and the town of Amboy was formed by an act passed
March 25, 1830.

From this time until the breaking out of the Rebellion,
in 1861, little of historical interest occurred within the new
town. During all the earlier part of that period Amboy
was still a wild country. Immigration, however, continued
to flow in, the forests went down before the sturdy arms of
the pioneers, and pleasant farms furnished with comfortable
houses often met the eye of the traveler. The population
steadily increased from six hundred and sixty-nine in 1830
to fourteen hundred and two in 1860. Even the latter
was small for a town in the State of New York, and in-
dicated truly that a large part of its territory was still
shadowed by the primeval forest. But when the tocsin of



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



349



war sounded in the ears of the nation, none moro promptly
answered the call to arms than the gallant sons of Amboy.
Indeed, there were but few towns in the State with no
greater number of inhabitants who had as many men in
the service. Their record speaks for itself

The older men, who remained at home, were ('(lualiy
zealous in their s[ihere.

The following votes were taken at town-meetings, called
for the purpose of raising means : At a meeting held De-
cember 22, 1863, it was voted that the town should raise
the sum of three hundred dollars, to be paid to each volun-
teer, until its quota should be full.

At a special meeting, called September 15, 18G4, it was
voted that the town should raise the sum of one hundred
and eight dollars per man, to fill its (juota under the then
recent call of the president for five hundred thousand
men.

At a special meeting, held October 8, 18G4, it was voted
that the town raise the sum of twelve hundred and thirty
dollars and twenty-nine cents, for the purpose of paying
the balance necessarily expended in procuring volunteers
to fill the quota of Amboy, under the call before men-
tioned.

Since the war a number of mills have been built in the
town, 'and the business of lumbering and manufacturing
shingles has been extensifely carried on. There are at
present ten saw-mills in operation, and a cheese-factory has
been built, at West Amboy, within tbc past few years.

THE METHODIST CHURCH OP AMBOY.

This church became a part of the Black River confer-
ence in 183G, having previous to that time been a part of
the Salmon River conference.

The pastors since that time have been as follows : in
183C and 1837, W. H. Gaylord and L. Ball ; in 1838, W.
Tanner and Joseph Smalley ; 1839, J. N. Jones and Ira H.
Corbin; 1842 and '48, T. D. Mitchell and J. N. Brown;
1845, Orra Squires; 1846 to 1848, J. Arnold; 1850, R.
N. Barbour; 1852, P. Jones; 1855, S. Kinney; 1857,
S. Ball; 1858, William Empey ; 1861 and '62, W. T.
Sweedley; 1863, S. Delamater ; 186G and '67, Moses
Wills; 1868, Allen Mullen; 1869 and '70, R. 0. Beebe ;
1873, N. S. Ilubbel; 1874, E. J. Clemmens ; 1875-
1877, A. M. Frandenburgh. Some of the first members
of the church were Sage Parke, Charles Pepper, Walter
Willson, Dorastus Green, and Joseph Price. The church
building was erected in 1885.

The present oflScers of the church are as follows : A. M.
Frandenburg, pastor ; Levi Lewis and Cornelius McGee,
class-leaders ; Clay Short, Charles W. Hastings, and John
Whaley, trustees ; Charles W. Hastings, Clay Short, War-
ren Whaley, and Peter Schell, stewards.

The Sunday-school has an attendance of about one hun-
dred and forty members, and has a library containing near
one hundred and twenty volumes.

THE METHODIST CHirRCH AT CARTERSVILLE.

This society is of recent formation. The church build-
ing was erected in 1871. The first trustees were N. H.
Adams, Charles H. Jeliff, and Daniel T. Morton.



The church is presided over by the pxstor of the one at
Amboy Centre.

The Sunday-school has about seventy members.



IE FIIEK-WII



liAlTIST CEIURCII.



This society was organized in 1824. Mr. Truman Gillet
was pastor from that time until 1842. During the greater
part of this period services were held in private buildings;
but, a short time before leaving the charge, Mr. Gillet
built a small church at his own expense. This house is still
standing, and is used at present by the Methodist society.

AMBOY TOWN OFFICERS.

At a town-meeting held at the house of P^phraim Mowrey,
on the 20th day of April, 1830, the following ofiScers were
elected :

Sage Parke, supervisor ; Frederick Ambrose, town clerk ;
Anson Abels, Sylvanus Coon, T. A. Kidelle, assessors ;
Joshua L. Smith, Truman 3L Prinne, Dorastus Green,
commissioners of highways ; Alvin Cranson, collector ;
Sage Parke, Ephraim Smith, James Edmonds, commis-
sioners of schools; John JaniLson, Nathaniel Williams,
Frederick Ambrose, inspectors of common schools ; Anson
Abels, John G. Woodward, overseers of the poor ; Alvin
Cranson, John Edmonds, John J. Wheeler, constables;
Daniel Whitlock, Julian Carter, Sylvanus Coon, justices of
the peace.

The succession of supervisors and town clerks has been
as follows :

SiipaTisoi-s.— In 1830-31, Sage Parke; in 1832-34,
Dorastus Green ; 1835, James Edmonds; 1836, Dora.stus
Green; 1837, Alfred Seamans ; 1838, Sage Parke ; 1839,
John Jamison; 1840-41, Julian Carter; 1842, William
Sanders; 1843, John Jamison; 1844-47, Julian Carter ;
1848-49, John Jamison; 1850, J^zra Hall; 1851, George
D.Wells; 1852-53, Robert S, Carter; 1854-55, Henry
Garber; 1856, John Jamison ; 1857-59, Henry Garber;
1860, George D. Wells ; 1861, John Jamison; 1862, Za-
phon W. Moore; 1862, F. H. Berry; 1863-64, R. J.
Carter; 1865, John Jamison ; 1866-67, George W. Lud-
ington; 1868-69, Delos Randall; 1870, George D. Wells;
1871, John Jamison; 1872-75, Thomas Laing ; 1876,
Philip Hess; 1877, George L. Wells.

Town Clerks.— la 1830, Frederick Ambrose; in 1831,
Martin B. Mowrey ; 1832-35, John Jamison ; 1836, John
Davison ; 1837, John Jamison ; 1838, John P. Hasselkus;
1839, William Sergeant; 1840-47, John P. Hasselkus;
1849, Ephraim H. Smith; 1850-51, Wanton Green;
1852-53, William Sergeant; 1854, Wanton Green; 1855-
56, William Sergeant ; 1857-60, J. Duane Dunn ; 1861-62,
George A. Sergeant ; 1863-66, Andrew J. Whaley ; 1867-
70, David J. Wilson ; 1867-71, Thomas Towsley ; 1872,
A. J. Whaley; 1873, Francis W. Towsley ; 1874, George
W. Sergeant; 1875-77, Calvin Warn.

The following is a list of the town officers for the present
year (1877): Supervisor, George L. Wells; Town Clerk,
Calvin H. Warren ; Justices of the Peace, George D. Wells,
D. J. Wilson, Fowler H. Berry, John S. Clellaqd (newly
elected, Hanford station) ; Assessors, Henry Leigh, George
Laing, Xorris Griflin ; Overseer of the Poor, Ezra Spoor ;



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Highway Commissioner, James Black ; Inspectors of Elec-
tion, John Stubb, A. J. Whalcy, and George Lee ; Town
Auditors, John E. Patclien, Warren Whaley, Geo. Clark ;
Constables, J. 8. Kinney, AVilliam J. Brown, William
Gullinger, A. J. Whaley, and James Christopher ; Com-
missioners of Excise, Archibald Mclntyre, Bennett,

Joseph Renn.

We also give a list of the business men of the town.

Those of Amboy Centre are —

Merchants, J. H. Short & Son, F. M. Towsley.

Hotel proprialor, A. J. Whaley.

Shoemakers, Jacob Wain, J. S. Codner.

Those of West Amboy are —

Merchants, F. A. Davey, Houghton & Joslyn.

Hotel proprietor and owner of cheese- factory, Philip
Hess.

Blacksmiths, Fred. Andrews, Nathan Stanton.

Owner of grist-mill, Robert Forrest.

There are three shingle-mills in the town, owned by
Benjamin Butler, Ezeek Look, and John Schell.

The comparative population of Amboy, since its separate
organization, has been as follows :

In 1830, G69 ; in 18-10, 1070 ; in 1850, 1132 ; in 1860,
1402 ; in 1870, 1431 ; in 1875, 1279.

The strength of the two political parties at various presi-
dential elections has been as follows : In 1860, Republican
170, Democratic 136; in 1864, Republican 134, Demo-
eratic 161; in 1868, Republican 165, Democratic 168;
in 1872, Eepublican 181, Democratic 110.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



THOMAS LAING

was born in Scotland in the year 1820. He emigrated
with his flither's family to this country in 1834, and re-
mained under the paternal roof until he attained his
majority, and two years thereafter commenced life on his
own account.

In 1854 he married Eliza Rice, and the result of this
union was one son and one daughter. She died in 1873 ;
and in May of the following year he married Julia De
Wolf, by whom he had one daughter.

Mr. Laing held the office of supervisor four years, and
has occupied several other offices of trust in the town, all
of which he filled to the entire satisfaction of the people
and to his personal credit.

For many years he manufactured salt-barrels, and is now
engaged in the lumber business, in connection with farm-
ing. He is a clever, whole-souled gentleman, whose many
admirable qualities of head and heart deservedly command
universal respect. In its appropriate place in our work
can be seen a portrait of jMi-. Laing.



GEORGE D. WELLS.

The subject of this sketch was born in Sidney, Delaware
county. New York, October 24, 1820. His parents were
poor but respectable. His mother was an invalid for six-
teen years previous to her death, and his fiither became so
embarrassed pecuniarily that he left home at the age of
seventeen, with a wardrobe consisting of a pair of cotton
pants, a sailor's coat, and a straw hat, going among entire
strangers to seek work that he might earn an honest
livelihood.




lEOIKJE I). WELLS.



He



alkcd eighty miles to Greene county, where he
hired out to Rev. Charles Cha.se, of Hunter, at fourteen
dollars per month, every cent of which he laid by for future
use, working extra at night in a saw- and bark-mill to pro-
cure his clothing. In the course of three years he succeeded
by industry and economy in earning sufficient to pay all his
father's indebtedness.

He remained with Mr. Chase during four years, when he
went to Oswego County, and learned the wheelwright's trade
of Daniel Stearns, after which he returned to Greene county,
and labored two years at his trade. He married Miss Lucy
Chase, the daughter of his former employer. Rev. Charles
Chase, November 18, 1844.

In the fall of 1845 he removed to Oswego County. In
the spring of 1850 he was elected a justice of the peace,
which office he has held for twenty-six years since that
time, and is still filling it to the satisfaction of his fellow-
citizens.

Other honors awaited him. In the spring of 1851 he
was elected to the honorable and responsible office of super-
visor, which office he has held five terms, and is at present
serving upon the sixth.

In the autumn of 1854 he erected a steam saw-mill upon
his land in Amboy, which was destroyed by fire eleven
months later. Nothing daunted, he rebuilt it in six weeks,
and again, a year latjr, saw it a second .ime destroyed ; but





John Jamieson.



Mrs.JohnJamieson.




Res. of John Jamieson, amboy,oswe&o co.ji.y.



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



notwithstanding he had no insurance and his loss wjis
heavy, lie a^ain rebuilt it, and kej)t it runninjr for fourteen
yeai-s. During these fourteen years he paid out for insur-
ance twenty-one hundred dollars ($2100).

Mr. Wells was one of the first to ship lumber on the
Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburgh railway. Among other
shipments during one sea.son was one of three million feet,
for plank-road purposes, to Jamaica and New Rockaway,
Long Island.

Ho now owns and operates the circular saw-mill at
Amboy Centre and the steam mill at Williamstowii, wliere
he manufactures and ships from two to three million feet
of lumber annually.

To Jlr. Wells and his first wife there were born eight
children, — two sons and six daughtei's, of whom the sous
both died young. His first wife died May 4, 18GG.

On the 15th of May, 1871, he was again united in
matrimony to Laura E. Delamatter, a daughter of Wirt
Chase, of Greene county.

Mr. Wells never enjoyed the privileges of a good educa-
tion, having attended only the common schools of his time,
and these only for a brief period. He has never employed
a clerk, preferring to handle his own afl^airs, and has always
jiaid his debt^ at the rate of one lutmlreil cents on l/ie
,Ml



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 93 of 120)