Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 94 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 94 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


May 14, 1864, and died at Andersjnville prison.
Ebenezer Stanley. Enlisted in the 2d Lt. Art. Dec. 1, 1863.
Horatius Stanley. Enlisted in the 2d Lt. Art. Dec. 1, 1863.
Chas. Stebbins. Enlisted in the 1 lllth Regt. Aug. 22, 1862.
Wm. N. Stebbins. Enlisted in the 24th Cav. Jan. 1, 1864; woonded

in the battle of the Wilderness.
Silas C. Stewart. Enlisted in the 93d Regt. Aug 3, 1861 ; transferred

to the 2d Cav.
Whiting Stewart. Enlisted in the 119th Regt. July 30, 1862; disch.

July 30,4865.
Burnes Tilmer. Enl. in 147th Regt. Sept. 7, 1862 ; disch. Sept., '65.
John Tegait. Enlisted in the loth Regt. Aug. 30, 1864.
Lorenzo Tousley. Enlisted in the 24th Regt. Nov. 9, 1862; killed at

Gettysburg, July 2, 1863.
Royal Tuttlc Enl'd in the 2d H. Art. Oct., 1861 ; disch. May, 1864.
Stephen Tattle. Enlisted in the 32d Regt. Oct. 12, 1861 ; died Dec.

25, 1863, at Amboy, of sickness originating in the service.
Henry Turner. Enlisted in the 14th H. Art. Dec 30, 1863; killed

at Petersburg, June 17, 1864.
Walter Turk. Enlisted in the 24th Cav. Jan. 7, 1804.
Andrew J. Whalcy. Enlisted in the 24th Cav. May 1, 1861; pro-
moted to 1st lieut.; disch. May 1, 1863.
Jas. R. Whaley. Enlisted in the 24th Regt. Jan. 7, 1864 ; wounded ;

disch. May 30, 1865.
John Whitney. Enlisted in the 24th Cav. Jan. 6, 1864; resigned in

May, 1864.
Jas. Wilson. Enlisted in the 24th Regt. May 2, 1861 ; re-enl'd Jan.,

1863 ; disch. May, 1863.
Geo. N. Wilson. Enlisted in the UOth Regt. Aug. 1, 1862.
Hannel Wilson. Enlisted in the UOth Regt. Aug. 1, 1862.
Asel Wilmot. Enlisted in the UOth Regt. Aug. 25, 1862; died at

Camp Mansfield, April 13, 1863.
Wm. Wright. Enlisted in the 24th Cav. Jan. 6, 1864; died April,

at Camp Stoneman.
A. S. Winchester. Enlisted in the 147th Regt. Sept., 1863; killed at

the battle of Petersburg, June 19, 1864.
Jas. H. Wicks. Enlisted in the 2d Art. Nov. 16, 1862 ; killed at the

battle of Petersburg, June 17, 1864.
Walter York. Enl'd in the 93d Regl. Nov. 1, '61 ; disch. Mar., '64.
The following entered the service, but the records do not indicate
the regiments in which they served:

James Bradley, Henry Butler, John P. Brown, Henry Blair, David
Black, Clitfurd Blouers, Thomas Clark, Patrick Costello, Frank-
lin Coe, William H. Cox, Peter Clark, A. Campbell, Wesley Corn-
wall, Henry Davis, Patrick Dailey, Nelson H. Elliot, James J.
Flood, John Flenigan, David Farley, James Goble, Samuel Griss,
Thomas Alloran, Augustus Harvey, D. A. Havers, Thos. Harke,
Martin Hyde, Thomas Hammond, Anson Harvey, George Hyde,
Clinton Howard, Russel Hazen, Lemanuel Hough, Constant Kriel,
James Kennedy, William A. Luther, Hugh Long, William Stobie,
Henry Lewis, Jary Lewis, Barlow McKee, iohn Marvin, Peter
Mudcn, John Mills, H. Marks, A. Morton, A. S. Manchester, A.
Mclntyre, John Mackey, John M. Newton, Eli Oswell, Joseph
Page, Franklin Shilling, John Smith, Geo. F. Stone, Hiram Shell,
Council Shilling, Geo. Smith, James Spoor, Albert Sherver, Reu-
ben Sparrow, David Tanner, Robert Thompson, Daniel H. Tuttle,
Stewart Park, George Tuller, Delos Warner, Charles Whipple.



J^




RESIDENCE of H.iN. LEIGH ,AMBOy , OSWLGO CO.N.Y.



,^-d




View of Lake and Mill at Kasoag , New York.



WILLIAMSTOWN".



Wri.LtAMSTOWN was fciruiod from ^Fexieo, as a part of
Oneida county, March 24, 1804. Richland was taken off
in 1807, and Aiuboy in 1830. It lies upon the eastern
border of the county, and its centre is thirty-one miles east
of Oswego. The surface is nearly level, though slightly
broken and stony in the west, and rising into low hills in
the e;>st. Farther to the northeast these hills rise into the
plateau region of Oswego and Lewis counties, commonly
known as the Lesser Wilderness. The surface of Fish
creek, at Williamstown mills, in the southeastern part of the
town, is three hundred and fifty-four feet above Lake
Ontario. The streams are small, although the west branch
of Fish creek rises in town, on which there are many ex-
cellent sites for mills. The soil is a sandy loam, which is
best adapted to grazing.

The greater part of Williamstown is still unimproved.
The principal business of the inhabitants is lumbering, and
the chief exports are lumber and leather. The Rome,
Watertown and Ogdensburgh railroad passes through the
town, and has two stations in it, one at Kasoag and the
other at Williamstown village. The timber of Williams-
town was originally very heavy, embracing the various
kinds which are yet to be seen covering the surface of hill
and valley, among which beech, maple, basswood, ash, and
hemlock were the most plentiful. In this dense forest the
early pioneers erected their rude but comfortable cabins.
Although they were not infrequently subjected to hard-
ships and privation, yet this was nothing more than might
be expected, and the sturdy will, inherited from their New
England ancestors, overcame all obstacles, and they looked
forward hopefully to receiving the rewards of industry,
perseverance, and economy.

The first settlers of Williamstown were Gilbert Taylor,
Solomon Goodwin, Ichabod Comstock, Dennis Orton,
Henry Williams, and Henry Filkins, who came into the
town in 1801, most of them being from Connecticut.
Ichabod Comstock, who made the first clearing in the
town, located upon lot No. 155, in survey-township No. 5,
Scriba's patent. This township was named Franklin by
the proprietor, but that designation was rarely used by the
settlers. Mr. Comstock erected a comfortable log hou.se, in
which he resided until his death in 1837. He left a wife
and nine children, five of whom are still living, Mr. Edwin
Comstock, the oldest, being the oldest surviving native of
Williamstown.

Henry Williams, from whom the town derived its name,
purchased and made his home upon lots 189 and 190. He
was a very prominent man in the town until his death in
1835, having been supervisor many years, and a member of
the assembly in 1826.

Solomon Goodwin located upon the lot immediately north



of that taken up by his bnithcr Ichabod. He resided upon
the place until shortly before his death, which occurred at
the residence of his son, in Rome, Oneida county, in 1846.
Henry Filkins took up a lot in the same neighborhood,
where he erected a substantial house, and resided in it until
his death. He left seven children, two of whom still reside
in the town. Dennis Orton remained but a short time, and
made no improvements. Gilbert Taylor commenced a
clearing, but sold out in 1805 to Isaac Alden, and moved
into Jefferson county, where he died in 1865.

The first marriage in the town was that of Joel Rath-
burn and Miss P. Alden, in September, 1802.

During the year 1803 several settlers came in, most of
them being from the New England States. Isaac Alden,
an emigrant of the previous year, opened a kind of inn for
the accommodation of the few travelers who might traverse
those forbidding forests.

The first saw-mill was erected by Mr. Alden the same
year. This was for several years the only saw-mill in
town, and was considered a remarkable institution, being
capable of cutting a thousand feet of lumber per day. The
first white child born in town was Julius, son of Ichabod
Comstock. The first school was taught by Philander
Allen, in the winter of 1803-4.

In 1804, Dr. Torbert came into the town, and erected
the fir.st grist-mill. This mill is still standing, and is the
only grist-mill now in operation in Williamstown. The
first religious society (Congregational) was organized in

1805, by the Rev. Wm. Stone, father of the well-known
editor and historian, William L. Stone. The services were
held for some time in a barn owned by Dr. Torbert, who
afterwards gave the society the use of a building which
stood near the present entrance to the village cemetery.
Services were held there until the erection of a church
edifice several years later. During the year 1800, Mr.
Daniel Freeman opened the first store. Mr. Daniel Stacy
came into the town in 1810, from Fort Ann, near Lake
Champlain.

Numerous bounties were offered for wolves during the
pioneer period, and even far down towards the middle of
the century. The amount voted for each scalp in 1805
was twenty-five dollars, but was thought too high, and was
reduced to ten dollars. Ten-dollar bounties were offered in

1806, '7, '8, '12, '13, '14, '15, '21, '28, '29, and '36. In
1827 the sheep-destroyers seem to have been especially ugly,
and a fifteen-dollar bounty was voted. In 1809 a bounty
of ten dollars was offered for bears, and in 1811 onc*of
three dollars; after that nothing. Bears were evidently
not as dangerous as in the time of Elijah.

During the war of 1812, General Brown, with a large
force, passed through the town on his way from Rome to

353



354



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Sackett's Harbor. During the war, also (1813), the first
post-office, that of Williamstown, was established, with
Samuel Freeman as postmaster. The old Indian route
from Oneida Castle to the Salmon river ran through this
town, and the Oneldas had a regular camping-ground upon
the site of Kasoag. Mr. William Hamilton, while at work
at this place many years later, discovered numerous Indian
relics, together with eighteen dollars in English coin, which
had undoubtedly been left by one of these fishing-parties.

About the year 1810 the gentleman j ust named erected
the first dam and saw-mill at Kasoag. This was the second
saw-mill in Williamstown, and is still in operation, though
it has been so many times repaired as to be almost a new
structure. ISIr. Daniel Stacey erected the first carding-
maehine, which, although commenced in 1810, was not put
in operation until 1815. It was located upon Fish creek,
a short distance above the present tannei'y. Mr. Stacy
carried on the business of carding until the fall of 1818,
when he moved to Camden, Oneida county, where he died
in 1825.

In the year 1848, Messrs. Dodge and Humphrey, two
gentlemen from Albany, erected a large establishment at
Kasoag for the manufacture of barrels. It was capable of
turning out a thousand barrels (of the kind known as " dry
barrels") per day. The original factory was burned, but
another was built in its place, and the business was con-
tinued for several years. The principal markets were Syra-
cuse and Oswego. Suitable barrel-lumber becoming scarce
in the vicinity, and rival factories having been established,
the business at this place became unprofitable, and work
was discontinued.

In the year 1847 the projected plank-road from Rome to
Oswego engaged the attention of the people of Williams-
town. A special town-meeting was called January 27,
1847, at which time it was decided " that the town should
subscribe for and take seven thousand dollars, being one
hundred and forty shares, of the stock of the Rome and
Oswego road, agreeable to an act passed May 7, 1844."

The number of votes cast was just a hundred, of which
eighty-three were for the project and seventeen against it.
The road was soon after built through the town. About
the year 1850, Mr. Morse built the first tannery in the
town. It was in operation for more than twenty years,
during which time it was purchased by Messrs. J. and J.
Costello.

In the fall of 1860 the New York Central railroad com-
pany entered into a contract with Calvert Comstock, of
Rome, for cutting a large quantity of wood and lumber in
this town. In pursuance of this contract, Mr. Comstock
proceeded to construct a railroad from Williamstown sta-
tion, on the Rome, Watertowu and Ogdensburgh railroad,
to a point four miles north, since called Maple Hill. Here
he erected several mills, and a little village sprang into ex-
istence. One of the mills was capable of sawing eight mil-
lion feet of lumber per year. A post-office was established
at Maple Hill in 1 863. At one time there were five hun-
dred men engaged, and forty car-loads of wood were deliv-
ered daily at Rome.

As the wood became scarce in the vicinity, the road was
extended into the town of Redfield. Tiie contract expired



in 1871, but was renewed for two or three years. Some
work was carried on until 1876, when the mills were taken
down and the road was abandoned. Maple Hill ceased to
have a post-office in 1873. Several of the buildings con-
structed while this contract was in operation are still stand-
ing, but are unoccupied.

About a third of the land thus cleared is now under
cultivation.

At a special town-meeting, held September'll, 1864,
the following resolution was adopted :

" Resolved, That the sum of four thousand dollars be
raised by this town for the purpose of an additional bounty
to soldiers, or such portion thereof as may be necessary to
fill the quota of this town, under the present call of the
president of the United States, and that the portion of said
sum necessary to be used be applied and levied upon said
town at the next annual meeting of the board of supervisors
of the county of Oswego, and that the said money, when
collected, be applied to the payment of a note made by the
citizens of said town, of $35,000, raised for the said pur-
pose of filling the quota of said town, and that the same
amount be reimbursed to persons who have furnished sub-
stitutes to apply on said quota."

At a special town-meeting, held on the 31st day of Jan-
uary, 1SG5, at the house of Thomas S. Brownell, to vote
on the question of raising by tax a bounty for volunteers,
for one, two, or three years, to fill the quota of the town
under the last call of the president, the vote resulted as
follows :

The whole number of votes cast was one hundred and
twenty-eight, of which thirteen were for no bounty; one
hundred and seven were for a bounty for one year ; one was
for a two years' bounty, four for a three years' bounty,
and two were in favor of a bounty for a hundred years !

In 1865 a train containing about a hundred Fenians, on
their return from Canada, passed over the Rome, Water-
town and Ogdensburgh railroad, accompanied by a detach-
ment of United States troops. Upon arriving at Williams-
town station they left the train, and demanded liquor at
the Sage House. On being refused they commenced an
assault upon the hotel with stones, brickbats, clubs, and
everything they could lay their hands on. They were
ordered to return to the train, and on their refusing to
do so the troops fired upon them, killing one of their num-
ber and wounding .several more. This reduced them to
obedience.

The old tannery which was built by Mr. Morse in 1850
was burned on the 20th of April, 1873, and Messrs. J. and
J. Costello, who were the owners of the building at the
time, immediately commenced the erection of a new build-
ing upon the same site.

The tannery then built, which is still owned and carried
on by these gentlemen, is one of the largest in the State,
the yard being forty by five hundred and fifty feet, and
containing three hundred and twenty-nine vats. This es-
tablishment consumes upwards of seven thousand cords of
bark annually.

Williamstown village contains eleven places of sale, three
of which keep a general assortment of merchandise. Three
are groceries, two are furniture and undertaking establish-



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



365



niciits, one is a drug-store, one a hardware-store, and one a
harness-store. Tliere are also three blacksmith-shops, three
wagon-shops, a grist-mill, several saw-mills, two meat-mar-
kets, three hotels and a tannery. There are two physicians
in the village, — Dr. Joseph Gardner and Dr. Samuel L.
Cox. Mr. R. J. Carter is the only lawyer.

The merchants keeping a general assortment are II. A.
White, Rodgei-s McCabe, and James S. Burton. The gro-
cers are John B. Wood, C. S. Sage, and W. D. Rosa. The
drug-store is kept by Healey & Farnsworth ; the furniture-
stores by W. S. Ca-stle and S. Grecnhow ; the hardware-
store by J. G. Powell; the meat- markets by Charles Reading
and George Bronson & Son. The harness-makers are Wil-
liam D. Stacy and S. G. Mann ; the wagon-makers are S.
R. & W. A. Crandall, David Shaw, and Alexander Me-
Auley. The gi-ist-mill is owned 'by ICdwin Hunt. The
hotels are the Sage House, G. C. Potter, proprietor; the
Selden House, D. G. Curtiss, proprietor ; and the Daggart
House, Daniel Daggart, proprietor.

THE PRE.SBYTERIAN CHURCH.

The ground occupied by the church building was given
to the society by Matthew Brown, in 1817. Elisha Tibbets,
who claimed title to the land, also gave a deed of it. Some
of the first members of the church were Solomon Goodwin,
Robert Paul, and Nathan Goodwin. The trustees in 1817
were Samuel Torbert, ^-Edamus Comstock, and Daniel Stacy.
Robert Paul was one of the first elders. The present elders
of the church are James Aird, William Potts, and A. Bur-
dick. The Sabbath-school was organized near fifty years
since. The attendance at present is about eighty. The
library contains two hundred and fifty volumes. Arthur
B. Powell is librarian.

THE METHODIST CHURCH.
The early records of this church are not to be found.
The society was organized about 1825. The present offi-
cers are Nathaniel Harris, Edwin Stone, Franklin Stone,
Jesse Spencer, William Waters, and George Luther. The
present pastor is Rev. Lemuel Clark. There are three
Sunday-schools in the town, with seven hundred volumes
in their libraries, which are all under the charge of this
church.

THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.

This society is of recent origin, having been formed June
17, 1877. Services are held at present in a hall in the
village, which has been fitted for the purpose. The society
expect to build a church within a short time. The present
trustees are A. A. Orton, R. W. Potts, and N. Graves.
Rev. T. B. White is the pastor. The Sunday-school con-
tains about a hundred scholars.

TOWN OFFICERS.
The town officers elected in 1805 were as follows ; Isaac
Alden, supervisor ; Philander Alden, town clerk ; Henry
Williams, Solomon Goodwin, and Israel Jones, assessors ;
Daniel Trillman, collector; Daniel Stilson and Ichabod
Comstock, overseers of the poor ; Newton Nash, Ichabod
Comstock, and Benjamin Bool, commissioners of highways;
Daniel Freeman, Samuel Bird, and John Thornton, consta-



bles ; Solomon Goodwin, As.sia Belknap, and Lsracl Jones,
fence-viewers ; Isaac Alden, sealer of weights and measures ;
Obed Smith and John Farman, pound-ma.stors. The over-
seers of highways (commonly called path-masters) were for
the First district, Peter B. Wright; Second, Cary Bur-
dick ; Third, Newton Nash ; Fourth, Russel Jlorgan ;
Fifth, Israel B. Spinner ; Sixth, Jesse Merrills ; Seventh,
John Ingersoll ; Eighth, John Tliornton ; Ninth, Joseph
Hurd.

.S'»j)e/-nK07-,s.— 1805, Isaac Alden; 1806-7, Newton Na.sh;
1808, Isaac Alden; 1801), Newton Nash; 1810 to 1825,
inclusive, Henry Williams; 182G, Samuel Freeman; 1827
to 1832, inclusive, Henry Williams; 1833, William Hemp-
stead; 1834, Asa B. Selden; 1835-37, Henry Potts;
1838, Samuel Freeman; 1839, Jesse Fish; 1840, Jacob
Cromwell; 1841, Henry Potts; 1842, Jacob Cromwell;
1843-44, Joseph F. Buckwith ; 1845, Jacob Cromwell;
184G, Austin Burdick ; 1847-48, Gustavus V. Sheldon;
1849, Abijah Towsley ; 1850, Michael Freeman; 1851,
Abijah Tow.sley ; 1852, W. J. Dodge; 1853-54, AVilliam
Harding; 1855-5G, C. S. Sage ; 1857-58, Jacob M. Sel-
den ; 1859, 0. B. Phelps; 1860, C. S. Sage; 1861, C. L.
Carr; 1862, C. S. Sage; 1863, J. M. Selden; 1864, Lsaac
M. Hempstead; 1865-66, Dwight J. Morse; 1867, Isaac
M. Hempstead; 1868-71, Jacob M. Selden; 1872, Edwin
Comstock; 1873-74, E. Delos Burton; 1875, Jacob M.
Selden ; 1876, Chauncy P. Sage.

Town CVc'/ct.— 1806-08, Henry Williams; 1809-10,
Gaston G. Comstock; 1811 to 1819, inclusive, .Edamus
Comstock; 1820 to 1826, inclusive, Asa B. Selden ; 1827
to 1831, inclusive, William Hempstead; 1832, Armun
Smith; 1833 to 1837, inclu.sive, Isaac Potts; 1838, Jesse
Fish; 1839, Orustin Burdick; 1840, Peter Hull; 1841-
42, Jesse Fish; 1843-44, Ambrose W. Barnes; 1845-
48, Emilius A. Sperry ; 1849, Michael II. Freeman;
1850-52, William Harding; 1853-54, E. A. Sperry;
1855-56, R. S. Paul; 1857-58, E. A. Sperry; 1859 to
1867, inclusive, William Harding; 1868, Egbert Moore;
1869-71, Horace Pierce; 1872-73, Hugh D. Mellon;
1874-77, Frank P. Cromwell.

The following are the town officers : David J. Curtiss,
supervisor ; Frank P. Cromwell, town clerk ; Hugh D.
Mellon, C. P. Winsor, Diogenes Freeman, and Alexander
McAuley, justices of the peace; Samuel B. Selden, over-
seer of the poor; John Hughes, commissioner of high-
ways ; Madison Winsor, collector; Madison Winsor, John
Forley, and John McVee, constables; Michael McDermott,
game constable; John McDermott, James Marshall, J. G.
Powell, inspectors of election ; Harmon Parker, Dennis
Rourke, W. A. Crandall, town auditors ; Charles Curran,
Dennis Austin, and Joseph Gardner, commissioners of
excise.

The population of Williamstown in 1830 was 606. Since
then, at different periods, it has been as follows: In 1840,
830; in 1850, 1121 ; in 1860, 1144; in 1865, 1948; in
1870, 1833 ; in 1875, 1815. It will be seen that the large
number added to the population during the wood-cutting
period have almost all remained since that business has
been sukstantially abandoned.

The votes at the last five presidential elections have



356



HISTOKY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



been as follows: In 1860, Democratic, 147; Republican,
98 ; in 1864, Democratic, 181 ; Republican, 103 ; in 1868,
Democratic, 581 ; Republican, 149 ; in 1872, Democratic,
20 (!) ; Republican, 133 ; in 1876, Democratic, 289 ; Re-
publican, 122. The change from five hundred and eighty-
nine Democratic votes in 1868 to twenty in 1872 is probably
the most remarkable political change on record. One would
be led to suspect that Mr. Greeley did not have many ad-
mirers in Williamstown.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



HON. CHAUNCEY S. SAGE.

The subject of the notice comes of the Puritan stock
which set foot upon Plymouth rock in 1620. His father,
Roswell Sage, was born in Berkshire county, Massachusetts,
in the year 1789, from whence he emigrated to Lewis
county. State of New York, in 1812, where he was drafted
into the military service of the United States, and served
in the war then existing with Great Britain until its close.
He then settled on a small farm in Verona, Oneida county.
New York, where he resides, at the present writing, with
his youngest daughter. Here on this form was he who is
the subject of our sketch born, on the 5th day of Septem-
ber, 1816, and in this town of Verona was he raised, re-
ceiving such an education as could be obtained at the com-
mon schools of those days, supplemented by one term at
the Verona academy. His four sisters are all now living.

In 1840 he became the proprietor of the Verona Centre
House, a hotel built on the line of the Utica and Syracuse
railroad, then just completed. He followed the business of
Boniface but a year and a half in this locality, at the end
of which period he exchanged his hotel for a farm near the
village of Oneida, and carried on forming operations for the
next seven years, and through the financial disasters of
1847. In 1848, Mr. Sage, to better his pecuniary condi-
tion, went into the State of Illinois and bought sufiicient
prairie land to enable him to engage in more extensive
farming operations than heretofore, but his wife and her
friends not being friendly to the project he abandoned it,
and in the winter of 1849-50 turned his attention to Wil-
liamstown, where in April following he located on a small
farm adjoining the village, where he now resides. Mr.
Sage soon after began the manufacture and sale of lumber,
buying considerable tracts of timber- and farming-lands
during the time. He also subsequently engaged in mer-
cantile trade to a limited extent, conducting his enterprises
with a fair amount of success. He has also contributed
somewhat to the building up of the village, erecting the
Sage House, a store, blacksmith-shop, and several dwell-
ings.

Mr. Sage in politics has always been an anti-slavery
man and a Republican, helping to form the latter party,
whose principles he has ever steadily maintained and up-
held, and though residing as he does in the strongest
Democratic town in the county, has been especially fortu-



nate in the hearty support received from his neighbors and
townsmen, without regard to party lines, in the many posi-
tions of honor and trust to which their votes have elevated
him, — tokens of respect and confidence on their part which
are highly gratifying to him. In 1855 he was elected super-
visor of his tovrn, and re-elected in 1856, and has since



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 94 of 120)