Copyright
Crisfield. cn Johnson.

... History of Oswego County, New York online

. (page 96 of 120)
Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 96 of 120)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


corn was to be had. Even as late as 1830 to 1835 the
bears frequently inflicted considerable loss by tearing down
Lis corn.

Dr. Chester Smcdley, of Connecticut, accompanied by his
son Ephraim, settled in 1826 on the southern boundary of
the L'Hommedieu location, near Fort Brewerton, where
he practiced in this and adjoining counties for over thirty



years. He died in 1862, at the age of eighty -one. In
1823 the Roosevelts held their wild land at three dollars
per acre, which was the price paid by John H. Ostrum in
that year for a part of lot No. 11, now owned by his son,
S. P. Ostrum.

Hon. Peter Devendorf, who settled on lot No. 10 in 1831,
was throughout his life one of the leading men of the town.
He was elected a justice of the peace several times, and for
twelve years represented Hastings in the board of super-
visors, of which he was frequently chosen chairman. He
was also elected member of assembly in 1840 on a general
ticket, voted for by the whole county, with General Ken-
yon, of Fulton, as his colleague, and re-elected in 1841,
with A. P. Grant, of Oswego, as his colleague.

The pioneers of this town, coming as many of them did
from New England homes, forgot not to lay a good founda-
tion for religious and educational improvements. The
school district No. 1, which was at the village of Cough-
denoy, was taught by Patrick Vickery in 1820, and this
was the first school of which we can learn in town. District
No. 4 (Central Square) was organized in 1824 by electing
Hastings Curtiss, Aaron Snow, and Rollin Blunt as trustees,
who employed James J. Coit as the first teacher, and pro-
ceeded to build a school-house. Mr. C. taught three weeks
in a private house before the school-house was ready. He
received twelve dollars per month for a school of about
forty scholars. The present school-building at Central
S(iuare was erected in 1873 by Mr. George Elliott, at a cost
of six thousand dollars. Three teachers are employed,
viz. : Frederick A. Walker, principal ; and Misses Emma
Star and Clara E. Morse, assistants. It is attended by two
hundred and thirty-seven scholars, and the public money
drawn during the past year was three hundred and ninety-
nine dollars.

District No. 5 was organized with Philo W. Carpenter as
the first teacher. G. W. Smith was a trustee for twenty-
five years. No. 6 was organized in 1824; the first school
being taught by Miss Lois Pierce.

In the spring of 1825, through the efforts of J. J. Coit,
district No. 7 was formed, and a log school-house was
erected. The roof was made of split logs, properly hol-
lowed out ; the lower layer being placed " up side down,"
and the upper one " right side up." Miss Augusta S.
Porter, afterwards Mrs. Coit, taught the first school. The
trustees, however, made sure of success by obtaining indi-
vidual guarantees of a certain number of scholars before
they dared try the hazardous experiment of building such a
mansion and employing a teacher.

CENTRAL SQUARE.

This village is situated on lots Nos. 41 and 45, where the
Constantia and Fulton road crosses the old Salt road from
Syracuse to Watertown.

Mr. Chester Loomis built the first tavern at this point,
about 1815. It was afterwards burned, but was rebuilt in
1818. N. I. Roosevelt purchased it near 1820, and occu-
pied it as a dwelling. The house is yet in good repair, and
is occupied by Samuel Sweet.

Rollin Blunt, who was a surveyor, was here previous to
1824, and erected a saw-mill.




(erected IU1B34) Res or ROBERT ELLIOTT



HISTORY OF OSWKGO COUNTY, NKW YORK.



3G1



fn 1820, Hastiiips Curtiss built and opened a small store
fronting Mr. Canipbell's place on the south. In 1823 he
built a brick hotel, which became the centre of a large
business. It was a stage station, and the place for town-
meetings and almost all other public g-atherings. He next
built a brick dwelling, in which he resided until his death.

Mr. Robert Elliott, as before stated, was the first wagon-
maker. He also carried on the cabinet business for twenty-
five years or more. He built a steam saw-mill, and rebuilt
it after it was burned, and likewise carried on a tannery at
the square for over twenty-five years. The early black-
smiths here were a Mr. Ainsworth and Joseph Bishop. Mr.
John Beebe, Jr., also worked for Mr. Elliott at an early
day. Mr. Beebe has been engaged in wagon-making and
blacksmithing for the past forty-five yeare. Mr. Judson
Skillings has been in partnership with him since 1851.
Frank De Lorme is also engaged in the same business.

The old "yellow store" was built in 1827 or 1828, by Rufus
Tiffany. Its early meraintile occupants were not very suc-
ces.sful. Henry S. Conde was a successful merchant, and
was in that business in this place for seventeen years, when
he was elected county clerk, and removed to Oswego. Mr.
Conde purchased the store built by Gaston Curtis, and now
owned and occupied for mercantile purposes by A. T. Lowe
& Co. The Coville Bros, are another firm, who occupy the
yellow store, the post-office being kept there by George
Coville. There Is a grocery and feed store kept by Samuel
Henry, and another by L. B. Campbell. The doctors and
druggists are N. W. Bates and D. D. Drake. Hardware is
represented by D. C. and J. W. Wood, who have carried on
that business for many years. Harness-making by P. L.
Wooden ; cabinet-making and undertaking by Gabriel
Traub. The hotel proprietor is W. H. Slocum.

A depot is established here where the Syracuse Northern
railroad crosses the New Y'ork and Oswego Midland, mak-
ing this a central freighting-plaoe, with a prospect of be-
coming a large village. About 185G there were si.K attor-
neys at this point at once, and all had plenty of employ-
ment. Among them were Gary Castle and his son, Clin-
ton Castle. This was when lumbering and wood-cutting
was at its height, creating a great deal of legal business. B.
G. Lewis, the present attorney, has been here the most of
the time for twenty-seven years. The boot and shoe trade
is carried on by T. P. Barker. The Ctntral Square News
is published by W. G. Bohannan. It is also mentioned in
the chapter on the press. The cemetery at Central Square
was deeded to the public by James I. Roosevelt, and the
first interment was that of Mrs. Anna Goodspeed, in April,
1822.

COUGHDENOY.

Myron Stevens built a house where T. W. Green now
lives, in 1797. Timothy Vickery, Mr. Hoacock, and
Alanson Seymour were also among the first settlers at this
point. Mr. Seymour built a saw-mill here not far from
1825. In 1837 and for many years after Robert M. Pel-
ton did a heavy lumbering business, shipping large quanti-
ties of oak, pine, and hemlock to the eastern markets.

Mr. Heacock at an early day built a grist-mill with a
carding-machine attached, but in a few years it wa,s destroyed
24



by fire. Wm. Lee settled near here in 1827, and in company
with Samuel Britton built a saw-mill on Coughdenoy ureek,
where the Midland railroad now cros.ses that stream. It
was sold to Mr. Gibson in a few years.

A. D. Gibson came to this phice in 1837, and has re-
mained ever since, having married a granddaughter of the
old pioneer, Timothy Vickery. Mr. Gibson was in the
boot and shoe business for a few years, but has since been
engaged in other occupations. His son is now a merchant
at this point. Mr. Ralph Warner has been engaged in
blacksmithing near and at this village for the past thirty
years. The wagon business is carried on in connection
with his shop by Charles Smith.

Mr. John Youmans also carried on a wagon-.shop, a black-
smith-shop being connected with it. Of late years, how-
ever, Mr. Youmans has given his esi)ecial attention to
" submarine diving," being the possessor of a suit of subma-
rine armor weighing nearly two hundred pounds, and keep-
ing a steam-tug to assist his operations. In 1875 he raised
a raft of white-oak timber, which had been sunk at Button-
Ball point, in Seneca river, for fifty-five years. He manu-
factured it into lumber (forty thousand feet), and found a
ready sale for it. While in the employ of the Delaware,
Lackawanna and Western railroad company at Oswego, he
discovered and raised an anchor supposed to have belonged
to a United States ship which wa.s sunk in that harbor in
the war of 1812.

James Dutcher has for the past twenty years been en-
gaged in brick-making at Coughdenoy, averaging a million
bricks per annum.

The first hotel at this place was built by Orson Emmons
and Peter Neal. These first proprietors were .soon suc-
ceeded by P. B. Oakley, who kept the house for many
years. Charles C. Burghart is the present proprietor.
Lumbering, boating, and the eel trade have been the prin-
cipal occupations of this place, and at times business has
very lively. For many years from five hundred to one
thousand eels were taken daily during four months every
season. These were shipped to numerous cities, and had a
high reputation among the epicures.

In this historical work we must not omit to mention the
most historical personage of Coughdenoy. Mrs. Catharine
Priest, who has been a resident of the village for the past
fifteen years, was born on the 8th day of October, 1 770, at
German Flats, Herkimer county. She is consequently over
one hundred and one years of age, but still retains her
faculties to a remarkable degree.

MallerY MlLI.s.^Edward Smith built a .saw-mill as
early as 1810, on the ea.st branch of Big Bay creek, on the
line of West Monroe. Twenty years since George W.
Smith purchased the property, and his son Jerome now
owns it. The place was long known as Smith's Mills.

In 1826 a grist-mill, with two run of stone, w;is built
there by Peter and Cornelius Van Alstyne. Afterwards
D. C. Smith and Isaac W. Brewster brought the [iroperty,
and built a saw mill. In 1855 the buildings were burned
down. The site was purclia.sed by Daniel Bowe, who built
a saw mill, and managed it for fifteen yeai-s, when he sold
it to its present owner, Mr. Wilcox.

The third saw-mill at this place was built by William



362



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



Hobnrt. After several changes, it was bought, twenty
years ago, by Jarcd Mallery. In a year it was consumed
by fire. Mr. M. rebuilt it, and has done a thriving busi-
ness ever since.

In 1837,Ru.ssel Winchester built and kept the first store
at this place. There is also a flourishing store here at the
present time. Amariah Ricker was a blacksmith there at
an early day ; at the present time Andrew J. De Bow and
Newton S. Bowne are the representatives of that trade.
A post-oiBcc was established here in 1858, and a few years
ago a depot, on the Syracuse Northern, was located near
by.

HASTINGS CENTRE.

A saw-mill was built here by Mr. Blunt, in 1822. It
is owned by Daniel Mitchell. The second saw-mill was
built by Pearce and Cornell, in 1838. It is now owned by
Levi Hamlin.

There has been a post-office here for the past twenty-
eight years. Jonathan Parkhurst was the first postmaster,
and Martha Holmes is the present one.

Harvey Devendorf opened the first store, and kept it
some twelve years, when Mr. Parkhurst occupied it for a
short time. M. M. Salsbury has been the blacksmith here
for twenty years.

A little west of the centre there is a cemetery, containing
an acre of land, which the heirs of Governor John Jay
deeded to Gilson Dikeman, as supervisor of Hastings, for
the use of the public, on the 12th of November, 1869.

Hastings. — ^In 1821 there was one log house, occupied
by Mr. Widger, near where the watering-trough now is,
and a small frame one, occupied by William Ford, on the
site of the cheese-fiictory.

The first post-ofiice and store were kept by Willard Hunt
soon afterwards. The first blacksmith in. this election dis-
trict was Geoi'ge Storer, who had a shop a mile south of
Hastings, in 1822.

The Widger house was turned into a grocery as early as
1830, for the old settlers remember how, in that year, the
teacher of district No. 5 took his scholars there for a treat
of candy, on their return from a spelling-school, where they
had been successful.

The first tavern was built by W. Hunt. Its present pro-
prietor is Willard Johnson. The merchant and postmaster
is Lewis Tourot; the wagon- and cabinet-maker is Nicholas
Clute. There are also a blacksmith-shop and a cheese-fac-
toiy at this point.

Mr. Corning built a steam saw-mill a little south of Has-
tings, in 1854. It was bought by Aaron Benson in 1863,
and has been operated by him ever since. Mr. B., with his
brother, invented the ■' Benson water-wheel," which was
the principal one in use in this section for many years.

CIVIL HISTOKY.

The first town-meeting of Hastings was held in the
'' Hastings Curtiss hotel" (George Ives proprietor), on the
7th of March, 1826, when the following ofiicers were
elected : Hastings Curtiss, supervisor ; Nicholas I. Roose-
velt, town clerk ; Russel Ford, William Ford, and Myron
Stevens, assessors; Rollin Blunt and William Ford, over-



seers of the poor ; Russel Ford, Rollin Blunt, and Horatio
Vickcry, commissioners of highways ; Russel Ford, William
Ford, and Rollin Blunt, commissioners of schools ; Rollin
Blunt, Daniel Webster, and Nicholas I. Roosevelt, inspectors
of schools ; William Ford, collector ; George Benedict,
Alonzo Rosebreaks, and.Heman Tanner, constables.

Hastings Curtiss was a member of assembly in 1824,
sherifi" of Oswego County from 1828 to 1831, and supervisor
of Hastings three years.

Peter Devendorf was a member of assembly in 1841—
42, and was supervisor twelve years.

James J. Coit was a member of the assembly in 1860,
and .supervisor in 1847 and 1848.

William H. Carter was member of the assembly in
1861.

William H. Rice was a member of the assembly in
1867, and supervisor in 1859 and 1860.

Thomas W. Green was a member of the assembly in
1872 and 1876, and supervisor for five years.

Henry Conde was county clerk from 1855 to 1858.

Hastings Curtiss. Huntington Fitch, Lewis F. Devendorf,
Mars Nearing, and Robert Elliott have all served as asso-
ciate judges of the court of common pleas, or as justices of



Of the supervisors not mentioned above, Gilson Dyke-
man served four years ; Russel Fitch, Jr., two years ;
Thomas Warner, two years ; Gaston G. Curtiss, three years ;
George Campbell, three years ; Charles Breed, one year ;
Henry Emmons, two years ; William C. Hanchett, one
year; Robert Elliott, two years ; Oscar Beebe, three years ;
Avery T. Lowe, two years ; Charles E. Coville, two years ;
George W. Woodin, the present incumbent, one year.



The Salina and Central Square plank-road company was
chartered April 12, 1844, for thirty years, with a capital
of fifty thousand dollars. William D. Ben net was chosen
president, and Richard Adams secretary.

In 1 848, the plank-road was extended north through the
town, under the name of the Central plank-road, John
Becker being the president of the company, and Peter
Devendorf the secretary.

The Central Square and Pine Hill plank-road company
was chartered in 1848, with a capital of twenty-five thou-
sand dollars. In 1851 the road was extended west to
Fulton, under the name of Fulton and Central Square
plank-road. S. N. Kenyon was then president, and I. I.
Wolcott secretary.

THE BAPTIST CHURCHES.

The first Baptist church in town was organized August
25, 1826, at Mr. Nathan Raymond's, Elder Moore acting
as chairman and B. Wheelan as clerk. Stephen Rich-
mond, Charles Smedley, Ferrin B. Wheelan, Nathan Ray-
mond, Rachael Merchant, Abigail Russel, Maria Raymond,
and Cordelia Fuller adopted the necessary articles of faith,
and united in calling a council, consisting of delegates from
the Onondaga, Syracuse, Cicero, and Mexico churches. The
council convened September 20, 1826, at a school-house in
what is now West Monroe, and recognized the above-named



III8T0HY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NKW VOUK.



brothers and sisters as a Baptist church. Elder G. B. Davis
preached the sermon, and extended the hand of fellowsiiip.

Covenant-nieetinf^ and public woi-ship were held at a
Mr. Jlercliant's, and at several school-houses, but princi-
pally at those in Central Square and Couirhdeuoy. The
first church building was erected at Coughdenoy in 1842,
Rev. Peter Woodin preaching the dedication sermon.

This church organization was subject to many changes,
being at times quite prosperous and at others seriously
deprcs.sed.

Elders Moore, Graves, Warner, A. Boughton, John B.
Parsons, Daniel Dean, H. S. Curtiss, and S. Gardner .served
the church as jiastors ; A. Barrows, A. S. Curtiss, S. Hunt,
Jehu Sceley, and W. S. Bowe as deacons ; B. Whcelan, S.
Hunt, W. S. Rowe. and James Rowe as clerks. The church
ordained three of her pastors, — John B. Parsons, Daniel
Dean, and A. S. Curtiss, — and also sat several times in coun-
cil with other churches. Finally, however, it became greatly
reduced in strength, and on the 30th of June, 184[), it was
disbanded.

In the year 1845, Rev. Peter Woodin, of Fulton, had
his attention drawn to Central Square as a suitable place
for Christian work. As the result of his labors, the Bap-
tist church at that place was organized on the 14th of
June, 1845. On the 25th of the same month delegates
from the churches of the Oswego Baptist association sat in
council, and recognized this as a Baptist church, and it h;is
ever since been a member of that association. Theie were
twenty-two members who covenanted together at its organ-
ization, choosing Philip Carter as deacon and T. H. Water-
bury as clerk.

A house of worship was built during the year 1846.
Elder Woodin, being a carpenter, cut the first stick of
timber, and did much of the work. Through the personal
labor of members of the church and society, the building
was completed with but little cash expense. It was dedi-
cated on the 18th of December, 184G, Rev. Mr. Taggert
preiiching the dedication sermon.

A leave of absence was granted to Elder Woodin in the
spring of 1850, when he went to California, organized a
church there, and procured the erection of a house of wor-
ship. He returned in May, 1852, the church having been
supplied in the mean time by Rev. S. J. Decker and Rev.
H. Knapp. Elder Woodin immediately resumed his pas-
toral labors with this church, and continued them until
April 1, 1872, when he resigned on account of age and in-
firmity. In memory of his earnest and active laboiu the
church has placed a tablet, properly inscribed, within their
house of worship.

Rev. D. D. Owen succeeded Elder Woodin, and still re-
mains the pastor. P. P. Allen, David Manning, and W.
L. Rowe have served as deacons. The prasent ones are
Jacob Beebe and Robert Elliott. The clerk is D. D.
Drake. The trustees are 0. Beebe, W. B. Parkhurst, D.
D. Drake, J. Simpson, A. T. Low, and J. H. Wood. The
whole number of members received .since its organization is
two hundred and fifty-four; the present membership is one
hundred and twenty-three. A Sunday-school has been main-
tained since the organization of the church. The present
superintendent is 1). D. Drake ; the membership numbers



two hundred and fourteen. The Ikhisc of \v.m>Ii1|i lias
been improved from time to time, and is now plmsaiit and
convenient.

■rilK MKTIIOUIST lU'lsroI'.M, ClllIKCll.

The date of the first Methodist church organization is
somewhat uncertain ; it was probably as early as 1825.
When Elder Bibbins was the preacher on tliis circuit he
organized a small class about that time near Hastings Cen-
tre. Wm. Ford and wife, Richard Ford and wife, Truman
and Daniel Wooster, were in that class. Afterward.s three
or four classes were formed in different parts of the town.
One was organized at Mallery about 18:53, of which Edward
Duerding and wife, Robert Kenyon and wife, Barnes Baird
and wife, Ozar Hoyt and wife, Titus Bowe and wife, and
Maria Vrooman were the firet members. Rev. Anson Ful-
ler, assisted by Rev. Joseph Cross, was then in charge of
the circuit to which the Hastings classes belonged.

In 1842, while Elder Smedley and Salma Chapin were
laboring in this field, they enjoyed a refreshing revival, and
forty or fifty persons were added to the Mallery chiss.
Being further strengthened in subsequent years, they were
enabled to build them a house of worship. It was dedi-
cated in the year 1851, Elder Parker preaching the dedica-
tion sermon.

The first trustees were David Baird, Titus Bowe, and
Titus Bowe, Jr. The present trustees are Peter House,
Jared Mallory, and J. W. Wilcox. The present clerk is
Henry Hoyt. The pastor in charge is Rev. Freeman
Beebe.

A Sabbath-school was organized about 1841. Milton
Flowers served as superintendent for many years. The
school is now in charge of Ruth Sedgwick.

There was a class formed at Coughdenoy at an early day,
and about 1850 they purchased the house of woi-ship of
the Baptist denomination, in which they have ever since
met. E. W. Bailey, the present leader, has a class of forty-
one members.

The Central S(iuare class was organized near 1830, with
a few members. In 184(3 they built a hou.se of worship at
an expense of one thousand dollars. It has since been
much improved. The class now numbers eighty-two mem-
bers. Rev. Charles E. Beebe is in charge of this as well
as of the Coughdenoy class. There is a good Sabbath-
school with a hundred and twelve scholars. Lot Fuller being
the superintendent.

At an early day there was a class formed at the school-
house of district No. 5, of which John North and wife,
Peter Vanderworker and wife, Amos Reynolds and wife,
Socrates Borst and wife, and others, were members. It
grew to be a large, prosperous class, but finally was broken
up, a.s is said, on account of the slavery ((uestion.

In 1874, Rev. Mr. Smedley formed a new class, consist-
ing of fifteen members. A. J. Grant was the first cla.ss-
leader ; F. L. Brown is the pre.sent one. The cla.ss is under
the pastoral charge of Rev. J. F. Beebe, and now numbers
twenty members. There is also an interesting Sunday-
school with fifty members, under the supervision of R. J.
Dimond.

The fnllnwing is a list of .Melho.lisl Episcop.-il pastors,



364



HISTORY OF OSWEGO COUNTY, NEW YORK.



in the order of their service : Anson Fuller, assisted by
Joseph Cross ; Lewis Bell, assisted by John Thompson ;
Truman Yan Ttissel, assisted by Isaac Covert ; Isaac Hall,

C. C. Mason, Augustine C. Munson, AlonzoChapin, Joseph
Smedley, Wm. Peck, Daniel Barnard, Wm. Morse, Thomas

D. Mitchell, Isaac Turney, Francis A. C. FaiTell, Dennison
D. Parker, Reuben Reynolds, Horatio Arthur, Silas Bell,
Nathaniel Salisbury, David Stone, Hiram Nichols, William
B. Joice, Henry S. Holmes, E. Arnold, R. 0. Beebe, R.
Webster, W. F. Brown, and Charles E. Beebe, assisted by
Freeman Beebe.

THE METHODIST PROTESTANT CHURCH

was organized at Bardeen's corners in 1868, with a member-
ship of twenty. Rev. Charles Beiirdslcy was the pastor, and
Horace Ladd was the class-leader. The present officers are
Moses P. Hewitt, class-leader, and R. J. Dimond, clerk.
There are thirty members, who hold their meetings in a
school-house. Rev. H. L. Bowen was the last pastor.

THE FREE-WILL BAPTIST CHURCH.
This church was organized in 1832, by Rev. Benjamin
McCoun, with the following members: David Linsley, Mr.
Cotton, Peter Carr, Mary Carr, Mrs. Delaney Ostrum, Wm.
Nutting, and Joseph Maford. Joseph Maford was chosen
the first deacon. He afterwards became a preacher, when
Mr. Burrows and Mr. Perine were chosen deacons. Rev.
Messrs. Nutting, Wilson, Fuller, and Maford have served
this church as pastors. Rev. Mr. Finney is the present
pastor, and Maltyre Grant is clerk. The meetings are held
in the school-house at Carley's mills.

THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
A church of this denomination was organized at Central
Square, May 20, 1828, with twelve members, by Rev. Oliver
Ayer, Oliver Leavett, Clement Lewis, and Daniel R. Dick-
son. The first members were Daniel Webster, Julia Ann
Webster, Jotham Goodspeed and Rebecca his wife ; David
Lockwood, Rollin Blunt, Lucy Allen, Christopher Hyde
and his wife, Flora Durfee, and Nabby Porter. D. Webster
and J. Goodspeed were selected as ruling elders, and J.
Goodspeed as deacon. The membership afterwards in-
creased to twenty-eight, but was subsequently reduced to
a very few. The church held its last regular meeting on
the 14th of June, 1836.

On the 10th of October, 1835, Wm. Jay deeded to Caleb
Case, Daniel Wadsworth, and J. J. Coit, as trustees of the
First Presbyterian church and society of Hastings, fifty-
seven acres of land in subdivision 7, lot 5, to promote the
worship of God in the town of Hastings.



Online LibraryCrisfield. cn Johnson... History of Oswego County, New York → online text (page 96 of 120)