Copyright
Cumberland Univ..

Catalogue of Cumberland University (Volume 1948-49) online

. (page 2 of 11)
Online LibraryCumberland Univ.Catalogue of Cumberland University (Volume 1948-49) → online text (page 2 of 11)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


J. A. Southern

Curriculum Committee,
School of Law
Arthur Weeks, Chairman
Bernard B. Bailey
Sam B. Gilreath
Weldon B. White

Assembly Committee

W. Edwin Richardson, Chairman

Gwendolyn Caldwell

Sara Freeman

Walter Kruschwitz

Julia S. Owens



17



18



CUMBERLAND UNIVERSITY



Social Committee

Mrs. G. W. Gifford, Chairman

Dorothy Allen

John F. Dawson

Nancy Lee Franks

Hardin McClendon

Julia S. Owens

Mrs. W. Edwin Richardson

Mrs. Carl Todd



Library Committee

Mrs. Carl Chaney, Chairman

Nettie Dillard

Raymond Coppenger

Sara Hardison

Josephine Pitcock

Ruth Randle

R. B. Spain



The President is ex-officio member of all committees.
Committee appointments are for this current college year.



Organization and
Control or the
University



Cumberland University consists of two major administrative units: the
College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Law. Each of these units is
an integral part of the University, which is under the control of a Board
of Trustees appointed by the Tennessee Baptist Convention for a term of
three years.

The unified control of the University makes it necessary for each appli-
cant for admission to a study of the arts and sciences or of law to meet the
general requirements for admission to the University by applying to the
office of admissions. Once admitted to the University a student may register
for study in either of the major units, or under certain restrictions in both,
provided the pre-legal requirements are met.

The University is in session approximately twelve school months in the
year. It operates on the quarter system, each quarter corresponding ap-
proximately to a regular season of the year.

The University at present confers two degrees: Bachelor of Arts in the
College of Arts and Sciences, and Bachelor of Laws in the School of Law.
Degrees are conferred at the regular convocations of the University at the
close of the spring and the fall quarters. A student who finishes the work
for a degree during the summer or the winter quarter is awarded a certifi-
cate. This indicates that his work has been completed and states the time
at which the degree will be formally conferred.



19



The Romance of

By Dixon Merritt

That May morning of 1842 was a great day for a university to be born
and the name by which it was christened — Cumberland — was already a
great name, not alone in history and in geography but, even then, in edu-
cation. The place, too, was great — Lebanon, the city of cedars, the city of
settled and seasoned culture.

No wonder that, of all the numerous towns and country places wishing
to take the infant and bring it up to robust maturity, Lebanon was chosen.
Its preferred gift of $10,000 was a factor but not the determining one.
Lebanon's churches were strong and pastored by able men. Its bar was the
best — the superlative is justified — in the state. One of its citizens was then
Governor of Tennessee, as one had already been and two others shortly
were to be. Another was then the district's representative in the Congress
of the United States, and still another was a Justice of the Supreme Court.
All three — the Governor, the Congressman, and the Supreme Court Justice
were members of Cumberland University's first board of trustees appointed
in that good natal year of 1842.

1842! How long ago was that? The gulf is hardly to be spanned by a
measure of mere years.

Missouri and Arkansas were America's farthest west.

John Tyler, in the presidency, was muddling the Whig party's great
opportunity, and Clay and Webster were maneuvering, each striving to be
the one to supplant him, as Cass and Buchanan were maneuvering for the
honor of leading the Democratic party back to mastery.

"The best laid plans of mice and men — " No one of the four was to
succeed, though Clay won the Whig nomination.

In the cool of the shade of the Hermitage, eighteen miles west of Leba-
non, sat Andrew Jackson, worn out with eight years in the presidency, by
more than twice eight years on stricken battlefields, by a long life of un-
paralleled turmoil — sat and planned, planned deeper and better than the
recognized leaders of both great parties.

It was his protege — James K. Polk — who was to lead the Democrats back
to power, to crush the mighty Clay in his final bid for the presidency, to
win for the United States Texas and the all but illimitable lands beyond —
the new Southwest which was to furnish, from that day to this, so large a
part of the patronage of the new university.

20



Cumberland University

In that decade, Tennessee — heart of the old Southwest — was in a posi-
tion, almost, of dominance in varied fields. For 1842 was the middle year
in that remarkable stretch of forty-four years during which Tennessee
placed one of its sons on a national ticket in eight of the eleven national
campaigns. In that decade, Tennessee led all the states in the production of
corn and of corn's concomitant, hogs.

The University is Born

Into that kind of Tennessee Cumberland University was born. Its early
years were lush, green years. The civilization of the Old South was at its
high tide and Plenty rode on a springing harvest.

The General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian church and the
people of Lebanon may have thought it hard — when did people anywhere
not think it hard to raise money for any cause? — to find the funds to get
the university going, to pay the salaries of its fine faculty and to erect
its magnificent building. They thought it hard but, a quarter century later,
in the great war's bitter aftermath, they looked back with longing on those
early days and knew that the first great task was an easy one.

Perhaps it is not remarkable, all the circumstances considered, that Cum-
berland University did have within a few years the finest and most com-
modious educational building in the South, or that its student body was as
large within those few years as it has ever been to this good day, or that
its influence extended beyond the Cumberland country, beyond the Missis-
sippi, to the far-flung new frontiers of the United States — perhaps not
remarkable that its faculty, almost from the beginning, ranked with the
faculties of the best colleges and universities in the nation.

The faculty of those early years is worth more than a word, more than
a glance. Look at it !

In the College of Arts, A. P. Stewart — later to be one of the outstanding
Lieutenant Generals in the Confederate Army — had left the United States
Army and the teaching staff of West Point Military Academy to teach
mathematics here. Dr. James Merrill Safford, an authority on geology and
writer of the foundation books on that subject for this region, was in the
chair of natural sciences; Dr. N. Lawrence Lindsley, co-worker with the
great lexicographer, Joseph Worchester, in that of Ancient Languages.

21



22 CUMBERLAND UNIVERSITY

The president, Dr. Thomas C. Anderson, was a clergyman and taught in
the Theological School but also held the chair of English in the College of
Arts. He may have been the chief artisan in laying broad and deep in the
foundations of Cumberland University the spirit of reverence and of reli-
gion, but he was ably seconded by his fellow workers on the faculties of all
the schools. It was Prof. A. P. Stewart of the College of Arts who estab-
lished in Cumberland in 1856 the first college Y.M.C.A. in the world.

With President Anderson in the Theological School were Dr. Richard
Beard, who came from the presidency of Cumberland College in Kentucky
to the chair of Systematic Theology here; the great old preacher Robert
Donnell, David Lowrey, S. G. Burney. In the Law School were Abram
Caruthers, author of law text books in use for more than a century;
Nathan Green, Justice of the Supreme Court of Tennessee, and a little later
Robert L. Caruthers, Governor and Member of Congress, and Nathan
Green, Jr., who was to remain in a Cumberland chair of law for sixty-three
years and to become generally recognized as the ablest teacher of law on
the American continent.

From 1842 to 1860 — only a little while, the space from babyhood to a
high school diploma. In that eighteen years, strangely though perhaps
naturally, the alumni of Cumberland University had come to fill in large
measure the places of importance over a wide land. Some of them were
already in the Congress of the United States where, through eight decades
down to the present, Cumberland graduates were to outnumber those of
any other university in the United States. Other and more numerous sons
of Cumberland were on the benches of State and Federal courts of both
original and appellate jurisdiction. They were filling chairs in colleges all
over the United States and many were administering the affairs of colleges,
seminaries, and other education institutions. Still numerous others were
in administrative positions in church bodies, were in the pulpits of impor-
tant churches, were carrying Christian civilization to far places on the
mission fields of the world.

Cumberland was powerful — a young giant in a great, young land — and
its prospects opened out, fair and full, to a glorious future.

War Shadows the Land

The great red flower of war, its roots in hell, sprang up and shadowed
the land. Prejudice and passion and hatred raged. Brother's hand was at
brother's throat and all the splendid fabric wrought through the prosperous
years was ready to split in tatters.



THE ROMANCE OF CUMBERLAND 23

Lebanon was not, on the whole, secessionist and Cumberland was not. A
majority of its trustees, mostly citizens of Lebanon, opposed secession and
a number of them remained staunch Unionists through all that followed.
Faculties were divided and students, of course, were divided also.

It is reliably said, though perhaps it cannot be proved, that every student
at Cumberland marched away to war. Most of them followed their beloved
"math prof," A. P. Stewart, into the Confederate Army from which he was
to return with next to the highest rank that a general of armies can have.
But not a few went the other way — went with, if they did not follow, the
principal of the preparatory school, W. J. Grannis, who was to return
in a tattered blue uniform as General Stewart did in a tattered gray one,
to scrape Cumberland's ashes together — to labor on in poverty — to be
lovingly called "Old Billy" by sons and grandsons of Confederate soldiers
till past the century's end.

Cumberland's magnificent building was not destined to withstand the
shock of war. It lay in ashes before the end. It had been occupied by
Union troops but not, so far as any scrap of evidence even tends to show,
burned by them. The indications are that it was burned by people of the
town in resentment at Union occupancy. W. P. Bone, the historian of
Cumberland, dismisses the incident of the actual burning with the state-
ment that it was the fault of soldiers of both armies.

It has been said, though not justly, that when peace came all that re-
mained of Cumberland was its name and its debts. There remained, also,
the loyalty of a scattered faculty, of a devoted board, and of a faithful
townsfolk. And there remained, erect amid the ashes, a lone Corinthian
column of the beloved building. Pitiably little, but it was a valuable asset.
For there was found written upon it, when the friends of the University
returned, the single Latin word Resurgam — in translation, "I shall arise."

Later investigation showed that the word was marked up there with a
piece of charred wood by an alumnus who stood sorrowfully among the
ashes of his alma mater. He was Dr. W. E. Ward, later to become founder
and president of Ward Seminary which, still later, was merged with Bel-
mont College to become the Ward-Belmont of today.

Cumberland Arises from the Ashes

That word, scrawled in charcoal, became the voice of Faith crying amid
the desolation and Cumberland did arise from its ashes, not bigger but
stronger than in the booming years before the war. The struggle was bitter



24 CUMBERLAND UNIV ERSIT Y

and long, but those friends — especially the people of Lebanon — who in the
old days had given of their wealth gave now of their poverty and the insti-
tution struggled into motion. Before the end of 1866, all of the depart-
ments were in operation — in church houses and residences for a while,
then in scattered buildings along West Main Street. The residence of the
long-time professor of law, Abram Caruthers, housed the Theological
School. The old Corona college building was bought with eked-out contri-
butions of Lebanon men and women and housed the other two departments
until Caruthers Hail — donated by a single man fortunate enough not to
have to pinch pennies — was erected as the home of the Law School.

President Anderson had passed the torch to the hands of Dr. B. W. Mc-
Donald who, after valiantly carrying it for seven years, passed it to those
of Nathan Green, Jr.

The new day had fully dawned and the Board of Trustees recognized it
by conferring upon Judge Green the title of chancellor rather than that of
president. He was the only chancellor the university has ever had. But
his executive tenure covered nearlv a third of the life of the university — ■
his teaching tenure more than half of it to this day.

A Faculty Unique

Chancellor Green had a faculty hardly less notable for length of service
than he was himself. His great colleague in the Law School, Dr. Andrew
B. Martin, taught for forty years. Andrew Hays Buchanan taught mathe-
matics in Cumberland for forty-five years — and made his living through
all the early years by working vacations with the United States Geodetic
Survey. William Duncan McLaughlin taught Latin and Greek for forty-five
years — and made his living milking cows. John Iradelle Dillard Hinds
taught chemistry — all of the natural sciences for much of the time — for
thirty-one years, and supported himself by filling prescriptions in a drug-
store. Robert Verrell Foster taught for forty-four years. Winstead Paine
Bone for forty-seven.

It is seriously to be doubted if there has been seen, in any educational
institution in the world the like of this for length of teaching service.
Nathan Green, Jr., achieved many great things and among the greatest of
his greatnesses was this faculty.

Against such a record of devotion, brick and mortar and money and
bonds do not count. Why tell at all of the erection of the new building
on a new campus in the nineties, or of the loss of the property and its hav-



THE ROMA A' CE OF CI M BE RE A Y D 25

ing to be bought back as the result of court decisions in connection with
the church union of 1906?

Here, too, were times when money came hard. Here were days hardly
less dark, here were doubts as nearly bordering on despair as those im-
mediately following the War Between the States. But the money came —
out of the bottoms of pockets and the very toes of socks. And, though the
Theological School was lost, Cumberland carried on in the old tradition.

Out of a century of that tradition of spiritual training and Christian
service what has Cumberland produced?

It is easy to see and to measure the fruit of this as of other trees on the
topmost and outermost twigs and, by this, the rest must be estimated. Of
the thousands of Cumberland alumni who have done the world's work in
common ways no record stands out. But among the lot have been nearly
450 divinity graduates, ministers of the gospel, missionaries, and church
executives. There have been fifty college and university presidents, a
hundred professors. There have been sixty-six Congressmen, eleven Gov-
ernors of states, some scores of judges of state and Federal courts, two
U. S. ambassadors, a justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, a
Secretary of State of the United States. In all, more than 12,000 public
servants have been numbered among Cumberland's alumni.

The New Cumberland Emerges

Judged by its fruit, it is a goodly tree which, early in 1946. the Tennessee
Baptist Convention received from the friendly hands of its trustees. Count-
ing all the schools, that was at the end of a century of operation under Pres-
byterian auspices — first and for much the longer period under those of the
Cumberland Presbyterian church, latterly under those of the Presbyterian
church U.S.A.

There has been no pruning of the tree. There will be none. There has
been some strengthening of branches, and there will be more. Faculties
have been increased, quantitatively — and, it is hoped, qualitatively. With
ampler means, that has been not too difficult.

The School of Law — lustiest, shall it be said, of the branches? — has
been strengthened and enlarged in its program in accordance with recom-
mendations of leading educators and representatives of the legal profession.
Three years of nine months each, following two years of pre-law college
work, is the requirement now for the LL.B. degree.

On the other main branch — the College of Arts and Sciences — Cumber-



26 CUMBERLAND UNIVERSITY

land stays staunchly by the ancient and honorable liberal arts college ideal.
Its work is not and will not be vocational or professional. It is, will con-
tinue to be, cultural — and character building. Reorganized into five divi-
sions, the College of Arts and Sciences gives consistent emphasis to high
academic standards through curricula reflecting a sound and progressive
educational policy.

Over all, Cumberland University is a Christian institution. That does
not refer to any courses in religion that are being or may be given. It refers
to the atmosphere of the campus, of the dormitories, of the college halls —
to that warmth and wholesomeness of Christian atmosphere which makes
normal the job of living.

Thus, Cumberland University faces the future. And may the promise of
the century ahead measure up to the performance of the century that is
past!



General Information



Location

The city of Lebanon, in which Cumberland University is located, is
thirty miles east of Nashville, Tennessee, in a beautiful section of the
state. Lebanon is served by the Tennessee Central Railroad and by modern
bus lines on the Hermitage Highway from Nashville and on other high-
ways.

History

Early in the year of 1946 Cumberland University became the property
of the Tennessee Baptist Convention. The administrative control of the
institution is vested in a Board of Trustees appointed by the Convention
for a term of three years, the terms of one-third of the members of the
Board expiring every year. At the close of the school year 1945-1946,
Tennessee College for Women, located at Murfreesboro, was closed and its
records and assets transferred to Cumberland University.

Prior to 1946 the University had been under Presbyterian control.
Under these auspices the institution made outstanding contributions to the
religious, social, and political life of not only the South but of the entire
nation. The College of Arts and Sciences, established in 1842, through its
distinguished professors and its eager, enthusiastic student body, held high
the torch of learning and enlightenment in spite of the handicaps of wars
and economic depressions. The School of Law, established in 1847, under
its capable and efficient leadership furnished a host of men of high moral
and legal idealism to fill prominent positions of civic responsibility in
practically every state of the union.

Branches or divisions of the University other than the law and the arts
and sciences were established and continued for a time, but conditions
made it advisable to discontinue them. A School of Engineering was or-
ganized in 1852, a School of Theology in 1854, and a School of Music in
1903. In more recent times a School of Business Administration was
established. Under the present organization, effected in 1946 by the
Tennessee Baptist Convention through its Board of Trustees, the School of
Law remains intact as one of the two major branches of the University,
while the other schools are constituent parts of the College of Arts and

27



28 CUMBERLAND UNIVERSITY

Sciences. Beginning in 1946 the College organization includes five Divi-
sions: (1) Division of Fine Arts; (2) Division of Language and Literature;
(3) Division of Science and Mathematics; (4) Division of Social Science;
and (5) Division of Religion and Philosophy.

On the firm foundations established by the previous Presbyterian ad-
ministrations, the new administration assumed the responsibility of moving
forward with a faith and determination to build a new Cumberland which
will be the pride and joy of every alumnus and friend.

The achievements of more than a century have been witnessed by the
following men who have served in the office of President of Cumberland
University :

1842-44 Franceway Ranna Cossitt, D.D.

1844-66 Thomas C. Anderson, D.D.

1866-73 Benjamin W. McDonald, D.D., LL.D.

1873-1902 Nathan Green, Jr., LL.D.

1902-06 David Earle Mitchell, A.B.

1906-09 Acting President, Nathan Green, Jr., LL.D.

1909-14 Winstead Paine Bone, A.M., D.D., LL.D.

1914-16 Samuel Andrew Coile, D.D.

1916-17 Acting President, Homer Allen Hill, A.M.

1917-20 Edward Powell Childs, A.M.

1920-22 Acting President, Andrew Blake Buchanan, D.D.

1922-26 John Royal Harris, D.D.

1926-27 Acting President, Ernest Looney Stockton, A.M.

1927-41 Ernest Looney Stockton, A.M., LL.D.

1941-46 Laban Lacy Rice, A.B., A.M., Ph.D.

1946- II 'if Edwin Smith Preston, A.B., A.M., LL.D.

IqS-e- IM • E<A W i *r\ ^ • c- ko. f d <=> a ^ VkjL £ «. d kv +■ '



GENERAL IN FORM AT ION 31



Athletics

It is the policy of Cumberland University to encourage participation in
wholesome games and sports by all the students. Toward this end the
University provides a program of intercollegiate athletics and intramural
sports suitable to the needs of all.

Intercollegiate Athletics

Cumberland University has an extensive athletic program including
football in the fall, basketball in the winter, and baseball, tennis, and golf
in the spring.

Cumberland University is a charter member of the Volunteer State
Athletic Conference. Athletic activities are under the direct supervision of
an athletic committee appointed from the faculty by the President.

Students must pass twelve quarter hours per quarter to be eligible to
represent the University in intercollegiate competition in the following
quarter.

Intramural Sports

The competitive spirit of students at Cumberland University is de-
veloped through the intramural program. Competitive teams are organized

from the tWO Women's SO f " p ''i pa and frnm thf* twn ttifin a Mtcrarv onniVtiPs

Gymnasium

The gymnasium was completed in 1937 and provides facilities for a
varied program of physical training. There are rooms for the office of the
athletic director and for health service.

Athletic Field

Kirk Field is located conveniently on the main campus. The field is
equipped with facilities for football. Flood lights are used for night con-
tests. By means of the gymnasium and Kirk Field, tennis courts, and a
baseball field, an all-year program of inter-collegiate games and intra-
mural sports and tournaments is conducted for the benefit of all students of
the University.

Astronomical Observatory

A new astronomical observatory is now completed and furnished. It
is the generous gift of Dr. Laban Lacy Rice, former President of the
University.



28 C V MBERLA N D UMVERSIT Y

Sciences. Beginning in 1946 the College organization includes five Divi-
sions: (1) Division of Fine Arts; (2) Division of Language and Literature;
(3) Division of Science and Mathematics; (4) Division of Social Science;
and (5) Division of Religion and Philosophy.

On the firm foundations established by the previous Presbyterian ad-
ministrations, the new administration assumed the responsibility of moving
forward with a faith and determination to build a new Cumberland which
will be the pride and joy of every alumnus and friend.

The achievements of more than a century have been witnessed by the
following men who have served in the office of President of Cumberland
University :

1842-44 Franceway Ranna Cossitt, D.D.
1844-66 Thomas C. Anderson, D.D.
1866-73 Benjamin W. McDonald, D.D., LL.D.
1873-1902 Nathan Green, Jr., LL.D.
1902-06 David Earle Mitchell, A.B.



library to meet the increasing demands for library service.

A separate library for the School of Law is located in Caruthers Hall.
For a description of this library see the section of this catalogue pertaining


2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Online LibraryCumberland Univ.Catalogue of Cumberland University (Volume 1948-49) → online text (page 2 of 11)