Cuyler Reynolds.

Genealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 18 of 95)
Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 18 of 95)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Hampton, Long Island, December i, 1699.
Several tracts of land in East Hampton,
Long Island, were allotted to him in 1653.
He entered earmarks for his cattle at a date
not clearly indicated. The town meeting at
Southampton in 1672 granted unto William
Barns and John Rose should have ten acres
of land at Sagabonack, adjoining the house
lot of William Barns, instead of the land
which Rose was to have taken up at the
Mill Stone brook. On April 2, 1681 — and it
seems in pursuance of the foregoing- — John
Lupton received land from John Rose upon
the account of William Barns.

At East Hampton, April 4, 1699, a high-
way is mentioned as "flanking to the west-
ward side of William Barns Lot." On April
16 land was assigned to William Barns and
his brothers, except Thomas (these were
the children of William). On May 7, 1708,
land was drawn by the widow of William
Barns. On April 4, 1710, there was a vote
in the town meeting and action thereupon.
May 13, 1710, by which land was allotted to
the heirs of William Barns. About the
same time in an account of each man's right
of commonage the heirs of William Barns,
deceased, were credited with four acres, two
roods. Of the children of William Barns,
Thomas is distinctly named the eldest son.
The order of their birth has not been ascer-
tained, but they are given here as they are
given by Hedges and Howell, except that
Matthew is put before Isaac, because in
several conveyances, in which their names
appear jointly, the name of Matthew pre-
cedes that of Isaac, which suggests that
Matthew was the elder of the two. William
married a woman named Elizabeth, who
died February 28, 1724, "aged near eighty."
Children: i. Thomas, who married (first)
before March 3, 1692, the widow of Thomas
Bee, who died January 26. 1701, (second)
March 18, 1702, Mindwell Dibble. 2. Ben-
jamin, known as the "Deacon," born about
1671, died July 23, 1740; supposed to have



92



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



married a woman whose first name was
Abigail and had a child baptized at Bran-
ford, Connecticut, in August, 1701. 3. Ste-
phen, married Mary Barns, daughter of
Hannah (Linsley) Barns, and removed to
Branford. 4. Matthew, died February 6,
1703; married, September, 1702, Elizabeth
Leeds or Leek. 5. Isaac, mentioned below.
6. Nathaniel, died October 5, 1715, "child-
less." 7. Samuel, married, February 21,
1705, Elizabeth Dyke. 8. Recompense, died
September 15, 1739, "childless." 9. William,
died August 26, 1706; married Mary Rog-
ers, who died May 9, 1705. 10. Mary, who
"owned the covenant," September 20, 1713,
and had a son, Ezra, baptized the same day.
II. Elizabeth. 12. Hannah, died February
13, 1742, "aged between sixty and seventy
years."

(HI) Isaac, son of William and Elizabeth
Barns, was born at East Hampton, Long
Island, about 1675, died August 20, 1769.
He is mentioned by Pelletreau as a native of
Southampton and as descended from Charles
Barns, the first schoolmaster in that town.
On March 18, 1694, Isaac Barns entered the
earmark for his cattle at East Hampton.
On September 25, 1701, a conveyance was
made to him as of East Hampton, weaver,
by Thomas Barns, and on May 13, 1702, a
conveyance of land was made by Robert
Parsons to Matthew Barns, Isaac Barns and
Samuel Barns, in exchange for other land.
On March 13, 1703, a conveyance was made
by Thomas Barns to Matthew Barns and
Isaac Barns of land that had belonged to
William Barns, deceased. On April 13,
1704, Isaac Barns, husbandman, received a
con\eyance of land from Samuel Barns, and
on March 30, 1705, Isaac Barns, brickmaker.
received a conveyance of land from Jacob
Schillinx. It is thus evident that besides
weaving Isaac must have engaged in hus-
bandry and brickmaking also, unless there
was another Isaac Barns. On July 25, 1705,
Isaac Barns, weaver, received a conveyance
of land from Samuel Barns, and on June 2,
1709. he received a conveyance of land from
Recompence Barns. There is a further rec-
ord to the efifect that Isaac, still described as
a weaver, had on March 17, 1710, other deal-
ings in land.

Isaac Barns married, April ig, 1704, Anna,
daughter of Noah and Elizabeth (Taintor)



Rogers. Children: i. Isaac, mentioned be-
low. 2. Patience, baptized March 30, 1707;
married, October 2, 1729, Cornelius \^an
Scoyeck, of Oyster Bay; she "owned the
Covenant," November 22, 1724, and had a
child, Zerviah, baptized on the same date,
who married, May 20, 1745, Uzziel Cook.
3. Elizabeth, baptized March 20, 1709. 4.
Anna, baptized November 21, 1713, died De-
cember 26, 1714. 5. Jonathan, baptized
April 22, 1716, died October 17, 1722. 6.
Anna, baptized March 22, 1724.

(IV) Isaac (2), eldest son of Isaac (i)
and Anna (Rogers) Barns, was born at East
Hampton. Long Island. January 29, 1705,
died April 22, 1772. He took considerable
interest in military affairs and was known
as the captain. In 1727, on the question of
pasturage rights at Montauk, he was credit-
ed with 15, 14, and 5. On April 3, 1732, at
the town meeting, he was chosen a trustee.
On April 6, 1736, the town meeting author-
ized a division of land, and on June 4. 1736,
fift}^ and a half acres at Hog creek was al-
lotted to Isaac Barns. On April 5, 1737, at
the town meeting, he was chosen collector
and again on April 4, 1738. On February
6. 1744, the town meeting empowered the
trustees to apportion land and Isaac Barns
got thirty-nine and a half acres and thirty-
nine poles. On the same date there was a
further apportionment of land and Isaac
Barns and Isaac Barns, Jr., got seven and
three-quarters and thirty-one poles. On
April 5, 1743, at the town meeting. Captain
Isaac Barns was chosen a surveyor of high-
ways. In 1747 a drawing of lots took place
and Isaac Barns and son got seven acres,
three roods and thirty-one poles. In 1753 a
town meeting was called and Isaac Barns,
Jr., was chosen a trustee, and in 1754 at
another town meeting Isaac Barns, Esq.,
was chosen as assessor. There is another
record to the eft'ect that at a town meeting
held in 1755 Captain Isaac Barns was
chosen a trustee. There are similar records
showing like elections of Captain Barns in
1757-59-61. On September 29, 1762, Isaac
Barns was included in the commissions of
the justices of the peace to be assistant jus-
tice of the court of common pleas of the
county of Suffolk. On April 5, 1763, at the
town meeting, Isaac Barns, Esq., was
chosen a trustee, and on April 2, 1765, he



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



93



was re-elected. He was chosen as assessor
in 1766. In 1771 he received a conveyance
of pine land, lot 43, of Napeague Pines.

He married (first) June 17, 1725, Sarah,
daughter of David Concklin ; (second)
March 7. 1737, Hannah, daughter of An-
uanias and Hannah (Ludlow) Conkling, of
East Hampton, born October 5. 1715, died
August 27, 1759. Children: Isaiah, bap-
tized November 6, 1726, died January 27,
1733; Keziah, baptized August 4, 1728, mar-
ried, September 7, 1749, Jeremiah Sherrill ;
Tabitha, baptized January 25, 1730; Eliza-
beth, baptized April 21, 1734; a son, died
October 14, 1736, aged seventeen days;
Isaac, born July i, 1738, baptized July 23,
1738, died October 21, 1758, in command of
a company of provincial soldiers in Cape
Breton, Nova Scotia, during the French and
Indian war; Nathaniel, born March 18, 1740,
removed to Westerly, Rhode Island, and
married Elizabeth Brown ; Hannah, born
March 22, 1742, baptized April 18, 1742;
Matthew, born November 20, 1744, baptized
December 16, 1744; Isaiah, born January
29, 1747; Anna, born July 18, 1749; Jona-
than, born April 23, 1752: Sarah, born De-
cember 18, 1754; Isaac, mentioned below.

(V) Isaac (3), son of Isaac (2) and Han-
nah (Conkling) Barns, was born at East
Hampton, Long Island, February 5, 1758,
died near Cooperstown, New York. He
spent the greater part of his youth and early
manhood in his native place, and then re-
moved to Litchfield, Connecticut, where he
remained until about the close of the revolu-
tion. He eventually moved to Coopers-
town, where he purchased a farm and set-
tled. He married, at the age of twenty-one.
Mary Huntting, of Southampton, Long Isl-
and. Children : Jonathan, who lived in Ti-
oga county. New York; Isaac, settled at
Haverstraw, Rockland county. New York ;
Matthew, lived near Central Valley, Or-
ange county, New York ; Huntting. who
went west and lived in Wisconsin; Urial,
who lived in Cayuga county. New York ;
Hannah; Betsey; Mary; Joseph; Nathaniel,
mentioned below.

(\^I) Nathaniel, son of Issac (3) Barns,
was born in Litchfield county, Connecticut,
September 23, 1782, died at Middle Hope,
in the town of Newburg, Orange county.
New York, in 1879. He went with his par-



ents to Cooperstown in early life and re-
mained there until about the year 1830. His
next step was to engage in road building
which he did at the rate of ten dollars a
month and his board. In 1828 he came to
Orange county, New York, went into part-
nership with his brother, and between them
they purchased a yoke of o.xen and engaged
in the road building business for a number
of years. Nathaniel built the old Milton
turnpike and the pike from Cedar Cliff to
Plattekill, Ulster county. He also built the
road from Balmville to Plattekill, and the
Snake Hill turnpike out of Newburg. He
settled eventually at Middle Hope, in the
tov^'nship of Newburg, where he purchased
a farm of eighty-six acres. He remained
working on this farm until his death, sup-
plementing his agricultural pursuits with
occasional commercial transactions of vari-
ous sorts. He married, January 21, 1828, Ef-
fie, daughter of Dr. W'illiam Dusenberre, of
Modena, New York. Children : William
D. ; Nathaniel, mentioned below ; Mary E.
(VII) Nathaniel (2), second son of Na-
thaniel (i) and Efifie (Dusenberre) Barns,
was born near Newburg, Orange county.
New York, February 20, 1831. He was
educated in the district schools of New-
burg and at a high school at Marlborough,
New York, later teaching school himself
during one winter term. He did not feel in-
clined, however, to continue in this occu-
pation and when he was able he worked
one of his father's farms on shares, keeping
at this work for two years. He then bought
a tract of forty acres from his father and
cultivated it. Then he took a farm of ninety
acres with his father. This farm his father
later gave to him, deed for ninety acres,
and part of it is still in his possession. He
has become consequently well known as
a farmer and grower of small fruits, which
he has made his specialty. All of Mr. Barns'
time has, however, not been given to the
land. He has taken considerable interest in
the public questions of the day, and has
taken no small part in local affairs. In poli-
tics he is and has always been a Democrat.
In religion he is a Methodist, and he has
been a member of the Methodist church of
Middle Hope, Newburg, for the last sixty
years. He was elected assessor of the dis-
trict, and retained the position for a period



94



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



of nine years. He was excise commissioner
for two years, and from the year 1865 to
the year 1870 he held the office of the first
supervisor of the town of Newburg, and in
1870 was chosen chairman of the board.

He married, in 1853, Martha, daughter of
James Waring. There were five children of
the marriage, two of whom are now de-
ceased, the surviving children being: i.
James W., engaged in the dry goods busi-
ness in Newburg, New York; married (first)
March 29, 1882, Sarah P., daughter of Nel-
son Owen, of Goshen, New York ; child,
Nathaniel Waring, born July 25, 1884, now
professor in De Pauw University at Green-
castle, Indiana, and who married, Decem-
ber 15, 1909, Mabel Bonnel ; married (sec-
ond) October 5, 191 1, Cornelia Deyo, daugh-
ter of Jacob A. Bloomer, of Fostertown ; no
children. 2. Charles L., engaged in the
produce business in New York City; mar-
ried Ivate Baunies, of Coeymans, New York ;
children: Bertha and Martha. 3. Emma,
married Arthur Meyers, of Newburg.



There are many old towns in the
RING British Isles having or having

had an open space or circus where
in former times bullbaiting and such like
pastimes took place and these are some-
times called rings. Possibly the name Ring
may have been assumed or bestowed on
families because of their proximity to such
places. The name Ring is known in Eng-
land, Wales and Scotland, and in those
countries the above derivation seems not
improbable. Ring is a surname fairly prev-
alent in Ireland also. But the Irish family
is a branch of the royal "Line of Heber."
the chief ancestor being Daire Cearb, son
of Olioll Flann-Beag, and brother of Lug-
haidh, who is No. 88 on the Heber line. The
ancient form of the surname in Ireland and
the Gaelic provinces of Scotland was O'Bill-
rian, meaning the "descendant of Billrian,"
who was the son of Dubartach. The arms
of this family are: Argent, on a bend gules
three crescents of the first. Crest: A hand
vested sa. cuffed or. holding a roll of paper.
(I) Benjamin Ring, the first ancestor of
the Ring family here dealt with in America,
was born in Wales, died in Pennsylvania.
He emigrated to Pennsylvania about 1750
and erected mills on the Brandywme. The



battle of Brandywine was fought partly on
the farm of Benjamin Ring, whose house
served as headquarters for Washington and
his stafT, consisting of Lafayette, Pulaski,
Knox and others, when making themselves
accjuainted with the surrounding country
and deciding on the battle ground. Al-
though Benjamin Ring was a Quaker and
on that account prevented from taking an
active part in the war it was well known
that he was a strong sympathizer with the
patriot cause. Just before the battle an
American spy informed him that it would be
unsafe for him to remain with his family,
that they had better leave taking with them
what valuables they could carry. His wife,
daughters, and young son, who drove,
hastily left in a carriage, carrying with them
nine hundred dollars in gold, a quantity of
silver plate and other articles, in all amount-
ing to quite a large sum, which, the roads
becoming blocked by troops, they were
obliged to abandon, making their escape
across the fields. Benjamin Ring with two
companions joined them on horseback, and
after seeing them to a place of safety, re-
turned to Washington, who had just heard
that his retreat was likely to be cut off.
Hearing the conversation he rode up to
Washington and pointed out a way by tak-
ing which he would cut off nearly two miles.
He said that he would pilot them, but be-
ing stout and advanced in years would not
be so suitable as his friend, William Har-
vey, a young man and fine horseman, and
one in whom the general could feel every
confidence. By hard riding across fields
and over fences the balance of the army was
rejoined and the retreat made in safety. Ben-
jamin Ring's house, which was of stone,
was used as a fort alternately by the con-
tending parties. The roof was riddled with
grape shot, one si.x pounder going through
the gable and there was not a place on the
walls large enough to lay one's hand upon
that did not bear a mark. Everything in-
side the house was destroyed, the farm was
cleared of cattle, and not a fence left on the
place. Benjamin Ring married Rachel
James. They had eight children, among
them Nathaniel, mentioned below.

(II) Nathaniel, son of Benjamin and
Rachel (James) Ring, was born in 1767, at
Brandywine, Pennsylvania, and died in



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



95



1850. He left his native place at an early
age and emigrated to Cornwall, Orange
county, New York. He was a millwright
by trade, and was captain of a sloop that
ran between New York City and Cornwall,
Orange county, for a score of years. H'^
was elected a ruling elder of New Windsor
church, July 6, 1783. He married, January
6, 1793, Martha Clark, born April 30, 1770,
died February, 1854, daughter of Jeremiah
Clark, of Cornwall, Orange county, New
York, who was born in Bedford, Westches-
ter county, New York, in 1730, died May
30, 1808. He married Martha Newman,
November 27, 1752. He was elected a rul-
ing elder of New Windsor church. He was
a man of much influence and prominence
and a firm friend of liberty and national
union. He passed the greater part of his
life at Cornwall, Orange county. New York.
He was a member of the first provincial
congress from Orange county in 1775, of
the second provincial congress in 1775 and

1776, and of the fourth provincial congress
and representation convention in 1776 and

1777, at the last session of which the first
constitution of the state of New York was
formed at Kingston, April 20, 1777. He
was a member of the assembly of New
York from Orange county, beginning with
the first assembly of the state, which met at
Kingston. September i, 1777, and of the as-
semblies of later years. He also filled the
offices of sheriff and lay judge of Orange
county. New York.

(Ill) Thomas C. son of Nathaniel and
Martha (Clark) Ring, was born at Corn-
wall, Orange county, New York, October
21, 1804, di'ed May 8, 1889. His early life
was passed at home where he enjoyed the
advantages of a common school education.
At the age of thirteen he left the care of
his parents and with no other capital than
strong hands and an industrious and ambi-
tious spirit he started out to encounter the
duties of life. His first position was that of
clerk in a general store owned by Oliver G.
Burton at West Point, in which place he re-
mained for three years. He then returned
home and assisted his father in his brick-
yard. In 1821 he came to Newburg and
was a clerk for M. G. Miller, a general trader.
About 1825 he was appointed to a clerk-
ship in the Newburg Bank, a position which



he filled for about two years, and in 183 1
he was a clerk on the steamship "Albany,"
and in 1832 on the steamship "New Phila-
delphia," running between New York and
Albany. In 1833 ^^ became cashier of the
Highland Bank of Newburg and served
until 1838, and in the following year he be-
came cashier of the Powell Bank, a position
which he held until 1864, in which year they
went out of business. In 1858 he was made
treasurer of the Newburg Savings Bank,
in which office he served until his death.
In 1858 and the years following until 1864
he was superintendent of the ferry between
Fishkill and Newburg. He was treasurer
for the village of Newburg from 1854 until
1868. He was a member of the first board
of education, and from 1867 until 1881 was
secretary of the Newburg Gas Light Com-
pany. He participated in the reception to
General Lafayette in 1826, and was a mem-
ber of the militia under Captain John D.
Phillipse. Mr. Ring was recognized as one
of the old, substantial citizens of Newburg
and was held in high esteem by all classes of
people. Starting out in life with small
means and at a tender age, he by close
application to duty and industrious regular
habits achieved success in various undertak-
ings in which he engaged and won for
himself a reputation as an upright and hon-
orable man. When he first entered the
Newburg Savings Bank the total deposit at
the institute aggregated about twenty-eight
thousand dollars. This amount, owing to
careful management, judicious investment
and the confidence of the public, increased
to many millions.

Mr. Ring married (first) Mary Ann Os-
borne, who died in 1833. He married (sec-
ond) Catherine Speir. Children: A. Smith,
mentioned below; Anna, married a Mr.
Muir; Clara, died in infancy.

fIV) A. Smith, son of Thomas C. and
Catherine (Speir) Ring, was born at New-
burg, Orange county. New York. March 17,
1838, died at his summer home, "W'ood
Lake," Orange county. New York. July 8,
1893. He was educated at the Newburg
Free Academy, and at an early age entered
the Powell Bank, where his father was em-
ployed and when the latter became treas-
urer of the Newburg Savings Bank he went
with him and was connected with that in-



96



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



stitution until a few years before his death.
He was a staunch Democrat. He was a
member of the Ringold Hose Company, was
treasurer of Washington's Headquarters and
trustee of the Newburg Skating Associa-
tion. In 1875 he was elected city treasurer,
serving for two years. Much of his time in
later life was devoted to philanthropic work
and he was much interested in the Board of
Associated Charities, being one of its mana-
gers. He was a man of more than ordinary
ability, and one whose liberality and kind-
ness will long be remembered by the re-
cipients of his bounty. He married, Oc-
tober 5, 1881, Frances Ludlow, born April
I, 1864, daughter of George W. Kerr, of
whom further. There was one son of the
m.arriage: Thomas Ludlow, who is unmar-
ried and is employed in the Newburg Na-
tional Bank.

George W. Kerr, father of Mrs. A. Smith
Ring, was born in Warren county. New Jer-
sey, February 15, 1810, died June 3, 1890.
He was for more than half a century an
officer of one of Orange county's strongest
financial institutions. His ancestors were
originally from Scotland, but Mr. Kerr's
father was born at Freehold, New Jersey.
His parents removed to Ithaca, New York,
where he obtained a position in the branch
of the Bank of Newburg. In 1830, when
the branch was withdrawn, and the Bank of
Ithaca established, Mr. Kerr entered the
new bank and remained there until Oc-
tober, 1831, when a position was offered
him in the Bank of Newburg, with the offi-
cials of which he had become acquainted
through his connection with the branch
bank. In 1836 Mr. Kerr was promoted to
the iiosition of cashier, and in 1854 he was
elected president to fill the vacancy caused
by the death of John Chambers. In 1864,
when the old Bank of Newburg was re-
organized under the National banking act
as the National Bank of Newburg. Mr. Kerr
was again honored with the presidency. He
continued in that position until his death,
having been cashier of the bank for eight-
een years, and president for thirty-seven
years. Mr. Kerr was a trustee and vice-
president of the village in 1856, and a mem-
ber of the board of education in 1852 and
the years following up to 1854. For forty-
seven years he was a vestryman of St.



George's Protestant Episcopal Church, and
for thirty-one years treasurer of the board.
Upon his death the directors of the bank
adopted the following minute:

"His sound judgment, perfect integrity, and emi-
nent ability, have been long recognized in financial
circles, and his e.xcellence in all the relations of life
will be long remembered in this community. By
us his immediate associates, and by all in any ca-
pacity attached to this bank, his memory will be
cherished. He has left to his family and to this
community, where he has spent so many years of
a long and useful life, a leeacy better than earthly
riches — a good name."

The vestry of St. George's Church adopt-
ed resolutions recording their
"very high esteem for his character and life-
long devotion to the church and her interests. It is
with grateful feeling that we remember the steady
consistency of his Christian walk, his uprightness as
a business man, his value as a citizen, his zeal as a
churchman. We owe him no slight debt for his
faithful service as our treasurer for thirty-one years,
during which time his unflagging attention to the
affairs of the parish has contributed essentially and
in a large degree to its stability and prosperity."

Mr. Kerr married (first) Emeline Ross;
(second) Margaret T. L., daughter of the
Rev. John Brown, D. D. There were twelve
children of the latter marriage, of whom
six daughters and two sons survive. The
two sons are John B., of whom further, and
Walter, who is vice-president of the New
York Life Insurance and Trust Company,
New York City.

John B. Kerr, vice-president of the On-
tario & Western railroad, located at New
York City, was born October i, 185 1, at
Newburg, New York. He was educated in
public schools of his native town and Trin-
ity School, New York City. He read law
in the office of Eugene A. Brewster, of New-
burg. was adiriitted to the bar in 1872, and
began the practice of his profession, which
continued until 1881, and during that time,
from 1874 to 1878, served as recorder of city
of Newburg. During the construction of
part of the Ontario ot W'estern railroad in
Orange county in 1881, he became connect-
ed with that corporation. In 1883 he moved
to New York, still in their service, and in
1888 became attorney for the road, and also
a director of the same. In 1891 was elected



Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 18 of 95)