Cuyler Reynolds.

Genealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 4 of 95)
Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 4 of 95)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


6. Catherine. June 24, 1827; died at \\"ashing-
ton, D. C, November i, 1909; married, in the
Manor House, Albany, 1856, Nathaniel Berry.

7. Justine, September 18, 1828 ; died in New
York City April 6, 1912 ; married, in the
Manor House at Albany, February 2. 1853.
Howard Townsend. M. D. (see Townsend).

8. William Bayard. 1830; died young. 9 Bay-
ard, of whom further. 10. Harriet. Albany.
July 3. 1838: died at Manchester (Mass).
December 17, 1911 ; married, in the Manor
House, Albany, June 20, 1863, Colonel John
Schuyler Crosby, of New York (see Cros-
by). II. Eugene, of whom further.

( VHI) Bayard, son of General .Ste])lien \'an
Rensselaer and Harriet Elizabeth Bayard, was
born at Albany. New York. September 8. 1833.
and died at Pau. France. January 12. 1859.
He was the third son and ninth child, but his
eldest brother died without issue, and his next
elder brother died in infancy before he was
born, hence the family name of William Bay-
ard, bestowed upon the infant, was carried
down by baptizing him Bayard. By birth,
culture and associations he was one of the
leaders in the most brilliant social set in Al-
bany, and belonged to a number of clubs and
organizations, among them the Burgesses'
Corps, then composed of the most prominent
young men in the city. His health being far
from robust, he sought to improve it by a sea
voyage in 1858 and a sojourn in the most in-
vigorating climate of France. Unfortunatelv.
the results were not as beneficial as expected,
for he died in France. He married, at the
bride's residence. No. 25 Pearl street.
Albany, Bishop Horatio Potter, of St. Peter's
Episcopal Church, officiating. February i, 1854.
Eaura Reynolds. She was born in Albany.
November 22, 1830. and died in her home
there. No. 98 Columbia street. January 26,
1012. Her father was Marcus Tullius Rev-



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



nolds, born at Minaville, Montgomery county,
New York, December 29, 1788, died at No. 25
Pearl street, Albany, July 11, 1864, who mar-
ried. May 6, 1823, at Albany, Elizabeth Ann
Dexter, born at Albany, March 24, 1797, died
at No. 7 Park Place, Albany, August 30, 1840.
Children, both mentioned below: i. William
Bayard. 2. Howard.

(IX) William Bayard, oldest son of Bay-
ard \"an Rensselaer and Laura Reynolds, was
born in Albany, New York, October 4, 1856,
and died in Albany, September 25, 1909. He
was a direct lineal descendant of Kiliaen Win
Rensselaer, of Amsterdam, Holland, and had
not the laws of New York prohibited the en-
tailing of the property, he would have been
the eleventh Patroon, and owner of the Rens-
selaerswyck property.

In early boyhood, after returning from Eu-
rope, where he had been taken by his parents,
he went for a while to the Albany Boys'
Academy. A little later he was sent to a pri-
vate boarding school at Catskill, where he
spent two years, or until 1869, when, a boy of
thirteen, he went to St. Paul's School at Con-
cord, New Hampshire, where he remained for
six years, entering Harvard as a freshman in
1875. He was a graduate of the class of
1879 and then attended the Harvard Law
School. At' school, college and the law school
he was prominently identified with all the
leading societies and clubs. After leaving the
law school he entered the office of M. T. & L.
G. Hun, in Albany, and was admitted to the
bar in the fall of 1882, opening an office at
No. 25 Pearl street. Active duties of
a general counselor were to some extent set
aside in 1881 by Mr. Van Rensselaer's ap-
pointment as the one most suitable person
to have full charge of the Van Rensselaer
estate. His knowledge of the laws govern-
ing real estate and his conservative judg-
ment were a guarantee of most capable
management. In the fall of 1885. following
his suggestion, the many heirs of the late
General Stephen ^'an Rensselaer conveyed
their interest in the Albany property to the
Van Rensselaer Land Company, and he was
made treasurer, which office he continued
to hold until his death. Mr. Van Rensselaer
became a director of the New York State
National Bank in 1885, and was made its
vice-president in 1900. He was elected a
trustee of the Albany Savings Bank in 1883,



vice-president in 1897. His grandfather.
General Stephen Van Rensselaer, had been
the first president of this bank when char-
tered, March 25, 1820. As chairman of the
building committee he devoted untiring
energy to the erection of the handsome new
edifice which was ojiened April 25, 1899.
On August 15, 1900, about a month after
the death of J. Howard King, he was elected
the bank's president, and was its chief ex-
ecutive through a texm of years the most
successful in its long and remarkable his-
tory. In 1901 he was chosen chairman of
the executive committee of the Savings
Banks Association of the State of New
York, and on May 12, 1904, was elected
president of that body because of his widely
recognized ability and conservatism. In
1893 he organized the Albany Terminal
\\'arehouse Company, and a large building
was erected on the Van Rensselaer property
in the north part of the city, part of which
was used as a bonded warehouse. He was
a director of the Cohoes Company, incorpo-
rated in 1823, by his grandfather, which
supplies all the factories of Cohoes, New
York, with their water power. On organ-
ization of the Union Trust Company, he
was made its vice-president, and he was also
a trustee for numerous estates, giving close
attention to their careful management.
Among various appointments in rendering
]Hiblic service was his appointment by Gov-
ernor Morton on the Albany Bi-Centennial
Celebration Committee, and he was named
by Governor Hughes one of the state's rep-
resentatives on the Hudson-Fulton Com-
mission in 1909. He was one of the organ-
izers and charter members of the Fort
Orange Club of Albany, a member of the
Albany Country Club and of the Albany
Institute and Historical and Art Society ;
also a member of the Holland Society. Re-
form Club and University Club of New
York City. He was on the board of trus-
tees of the New York State Normal Col-
lege and of the Rensselaer Polytechnic In-
stitute, also one of the officers of the Al-
bany Chamber of Commerce. In politics
Mr. \^an Rensselaer was a Republican, but
at times asserted his independence. Though
repeatedly urged to accept, yet he never
sought or held political office. As a thought-
ful man, he was, however, much interested in



i6



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



governmental ati'airs. To the advancement
of the Cathedral of All Saints, as one of the
chapter, he gave his best endeavor, promot-
ing the work of securing the new and hand-
some edifice. He traveled extensively, going
abroad a number of summers, and in the
winter season entertained with great fre-
quency at his home. No. 385 State street,
all dis'tinguished visitors coming to Albany,
being met at his table. His house was fur-
nished with many of the articles once be-
longing to his ancestors.

Mr. \'an Rensselaer married, at Cam-
bridge. Massachusetts, November 3, 1880,
Louisa Greenough Lane. She was born at
Cambridge, November 21, i860, and still
lives, residing in Albany. Her father was
Professor George Martin Lane, of Harvard
University, born in Charleston, December
24. 1826. died in Cambridge, June 30, 1897,
son of Martin Lane and Lucretia Swan.
Her mother was Frances Eliza Gardiner,
born at Shelter Island. New York, July 31,
1828; died in Cambridge, August 31, 1876,
daughter of Samuel G. Gardiner, and Mary
Catherine L'Hommedieu.

(IX) Howard Van Rensselaer, M. D., son
of Bayard. Van Rensselaer and Laura Rey-
nolds, was born at No. 98 Columbia street,
Albany, New York, June 26. 1858. Before
he was a year old he was taken abroad liy
his parents, returning in 1859. on the death
of his father, when he was but nine months
old. He was placed in the State Normal
School at Albany to learn the elementary
branches, and later changed to the Albany
Boys' Academy. Remaining there a short
time, he was sent to Miss Gaylord's pri-
vate boarding-school at Catskill, New York,
noted for its excellent moral training. When
twelve years old he entered St. Paul's
School at Concord, New Hampshire, where
he pursued his literary studies witli especial
diligence, and was made an e^litor of The
llorac. While here he was an enthusiastic
athlete. He established the one- and three-
mile walking records, which still remain un-
beaten. He was stroke oar on the success-
ful crew, was on the first eleven of the
cricket club, and was president of the .Ath-
letic Association. At the age of eighteen he
entered Yale, taking the Sheflield Scientific
course preparatory to the study of medicine,
and graduating in i88t with the degree of



Ph.B. He was also a student of the Yale
Art School, took a literary prize, and was a
member of the Berzelius Society, the oldest
scientific society in this country. After his
graduation from Yale he immediately en-
tered the College of Physicians and Sur-
geons in New York City, then under Drs.
Clark, Sands, and Dalton, graduating in
1884. During this period of three years he
attended all the courses of lectures and read
with avidity in every spare moment. He
was made the interne at the Chambers
Street Hospital, where he gained practical
knowledge of medical science. After that
he passed the severe competitive examina-
tion which entitled him to the position so
much to be desired by the aspiring student
of medicine, of house physician at the New
York Hospital, for a service of eighteen
months. While still studying in New York
he entertained the idea of visiting Europe
with a view of studying disease in its va-
rious forms and symjjtoms and the modes of
treatment adopted by the celebrated physi-
cians. He crossed to Germany in January,
1887, and visited all the great hospitals of
Europe excepting those of Spain, studying
in the large ones in Berlin, Paris, Vienna,
Munich, London and Edinburgh. Two
years were thus spent, and at intervals he
made side trips as opportunity opened, see-
ing sights in the Old World from the North
Cape to Constantinople and Greece. He re-
turned from abroad in February, 1889, and
opened an office in his native city. He was
at once appointed visiting physician to St.
Peter's Hospital, and the dispensary of the
Child's Hospital. In the fall of 1889 he was
ajipointed instructor of nervous diseases
and diseases of the chest at the Albany
Medical College of Union University. In
December, 1889, he was given the position
of attending physician to the Hospital for
Incurables, and in January, 1890, was
elected visiting physician to the Home of
the Friendless. In June of the same year
he was called to the position of lecturer
on materia medica at the Albany Medical
College. In 1892 he was advanced to the
position of associate professor of materia
medica. In 1894 he was elected full profes-
sor of materia medica and therapeutics, and
associated professor of the practice of medi-
cine, positions which he still holds. He is



SOUTHERX NEW YORK



17



a member of the Medical Society of Albany
county, the New York State Medical So-
ciety, and is vice-president of the American
Therapeutic Society; also, of the Fort
O'-ange, Albany Country and Albany
C imera Clubs, the Chamber of Commerce,
tl e Albany Institute and Historical and Art
Society, and likewise of the Calumet Club of
New York City. He was a prime mover in
establishing the Country Club, and has been
for many years its president. Dr. Van
Rensselaer has written a number of notable
scientific papers, which have been published
and widely read. He was editor of the
Alba)iy Medical Annals for six /years. He is
a medical examiner for several prominent life
insurance companies, and gives his services
as the attending physician of four Albany
hospitals and two charitable institutions.
He has been for several years president of
the Albany Boys' Club. Besides his visits
to Europe, he has traveled extensively on
the American continent, touring the Rocky
Mountain and Yellowstone regions, Cuba,
the Bahamas and Mexico. In 1909 he la-
bored assiduously to establish a Red Cross
Hospital for Consumptives, and raised
single-handed the fund which covered the
erection of the original buildings, the large
area of land for the site of which he con-
tributed. It has grown to be one of ^he
most appreciated institutions in the city,
and as a department of the Alluiny Hospital,
which it became, will endure as a valued
testimonial to his efforts for his fellow-riti-
zens. He holds the position of medical di-
rector for this institution.

(VIII) Eugene, youngest child of General
Stephen (4) and Harriet E. (Bayard) Van
Rensselaer, was born October 12, 1840, at
Albanv, New York, and now resides at
Berkeley Springs. West Virginia. He mar-
ried, at Baltimore. Maryland, April 26, 1865,
Sarah, dauehter of Elisha Boyd and Marie
Lucinda (Tutt) Pendleton, born December
II, 1846, at Martinsburg, West Virginia.
Children: i. Elizabeth Kennedy, born May
31, 1866, in the Manor House, Albany; mar-
ried, at Washington, D. C, February 2,3,
1909, James Carroll Frazer. 2. Stephen,
menti( ned below.

(IX Rev. Stephen V^n Rensselaer, only
son of Eugene and Sarah (Pendleton) Vaii
Renssc aer. was born January 7, 1869, in



Albany, and received a liberal education,
studying at Dresden, Germany, Paris,
France, Eton College, England, and Har-
vard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
He pursued his theological course at the
Episcopal Theological School of Cambridge,
and became assistant rector of Grace
Church, New York City. He was subse-
quetly vicar of St. Helena's Chapel, New
Lenox, Massachusetts; rector of St. John's
Church, Monticello, New York; rector of
St. Eustace Church, of Lake Placid, New
York ; minister of Calvary Church, Burnt
Hills, New York ; rector of St. Paul's
Church, Sidney, New York; and is now
(1913) temporarily assisting at Bethesda
Church, Saratoga, New York. He received
the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Har-
vard in 1891, and that of Bachelor of Di-
vinity from the Episcopal Theological
School in 1897. He is chaplain of the St.
Nicholas Society of New York ; a member
of the Harvard Club of New York ; and the
College fraternity. Taking the interest of
a good citizen in the progress of his coun-
try, he acts politically with the Republican
party.

He married, at Lenox, Massachusetts,
October 10, 1900, Mary Thorn Carpenter,
born March 18, 1871, at Poughkeepsie, New
York, daughter of Jacob Boekee and Sarah
E. (Thorn) Carpenter, died October 12,
1902, in New York.



The American Tucker-
TUCKERMAN mans are descended

from the English fam-
ily of that name long settled in Devonshire,
where the name may be traced in the hun-
dreds of Coleridge and Stanborough to the
reign of Henry VI. In the seventeenth
century they were considerable land own-
ers, and intermarried with the families of
Giles of Snowden, of Sir Edward Harris and
the Fortescues.

Two brothers, Otho and John, emigrated
to Massachusetts Bay in 1649, and from
them all the American Tuckermans are de-
scended. Otho, the elder brother, was one
of the early settlers of Portsmouth. New
Hampshire, He was a sea captain, and was
lost with his vessel. May 24, 1664. He was
the ancestor of four generations of ship-
masters who sailed out of Portsmouth and



SOUTHERN NE\\' YORK



also of Nathaniel, born in 1786, who re-
moved to South Carolina and built a house
in Charleston, which still stands at the cor-
ner of South Battery and Legare street.
The last owner of this house was a Miss
Tuckerman, who married (first) an Os-
borne, and (second) a Lowndes. Tucker-
man W' harf, Tuckerman Island and Tucker-
man Hill mark the presence of Otho's
descendants in New Hampshire. Tucker-
man's Ravine in the White Mountains was
named after Professor Edward Tuckerman,
a distinguished descendant of Otho's
brother John.

(I) John Tuckerman, tlie younger of the
two brothers who came to America from
England in 1649 and landed in Massachu-
setts Bay, was born in Devonshire in 1624,
died December 27, 1674. He was the an-
cestor of the Tuckerman family associated
with Boston and New York City. It is
known that he was a man of education and
of studious habit of mind, bringing^ witli
him to this country a collection of books
quite exceptional in the colony, some of
which have been preserved in the family.
Before his emigration he had been a mem-
ber of the Church of England, and during
his life in Massachusetts Bay he retained
his Anglican sympathies. The circum-
stance placed him at odds with the Puritan
theocracy then forming, but he handed
down his sentiments to his descendants, and
his grandson became a founder of an Epis-
copal church as soon as that form of wor-
.ship was permitted in the province. He had
a son bearing the .same name as himself.

(II) John (2), son of John (i) Tucker-
man who was the first of the family in
America, was born in Boston, Massachu-
setts. OctoI)er 8. 1655. He served through-
nut King Philip's war, 1675-76, being se-
verelv wounded at the fight "at Sudburv, in
Captain Wadsworth's company, and was
present at the Great Swamp fight in Rhode
Island. The Narragansett townships, sit-
uated near the boundary of Massachusetts
and New Hampshire, were granted by the
general court of Massachusetts Bay to the
soldiers who had served in King 'Philip's
war. The lands allotted to John Tucker-
man now form part of the "townships of
Bedford and Merrimac, and al.so part of the
town of Manchester. New Hampshire.



These grants were then a wilderness, but
afterwards became valuable to his descend-
ants.

By his first marriage, in 1680, John Tuck-
erman had a son, John, the third of that
name in this country, who married Hannah
Gent, in- 1708, and left his "mansion house,"
his silver watch and silver-hilted sword to
his own son, John, fourth of that name.
This last-named John was born in 1716, and
has the distinction of being mentioned in the
celebrated "Diary of Chief Justice Sewall,"
in a passage often cited as illustrating the
hardiliood and religious strictness of the
New England people :

"Lord's Day, Jan'y 15. An extraordinary cold
.storm of wind and snow. Blows much worse as
coming home at noon and so holds on. Bread was
frozen at the Lord's Table : Mr. Pemberton admin-
istered. Came not out to the afternoon exercise.
Tliough 'twas so cold, yet John Tuckerman was
baptized. At six o'clock my ink freezes so that I
can hardly write by a good fire in my wife's cham-
ber. Yet was comfortable at meeting. — Laiis Deo."

The second marriage of John Tuckerman
occurred November 14, 1693, at the First
Church, Boston, to Susannah, daughter of
Edmund Chamberline, whose family had been
settled at Roxbury and Woburn before
1650. By this second marriage he had two
sons, Abraham and Edward. The first of
these married a daughter of the Rev. W.
Welstede, and he had a son named Abra-
ham, who served as an oflRcer in the Ameri-
can revolution, being present as captain at
the battle of Saratoga, and was with Gen-
eral W'ashington's army for several vears,
including tlie winter at Valley Forge, re-
tiring with the rank of adjutant. Regard-
ing the second son, Edward, see forward.

(HI) Edward, second son of John (2)
and Susannah (Chamberline) Tuckerman,
was born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1699,
died in 1751. He became a successful mer-
chant. The Suffolk registry showed him
to have possessed nine pieces of real estate
in Boston, and he had al.so his share of the
Narragansett townships granted to his
father. The Anglican sympathies inherited
from his grandfather gave him an active in-
terest in the foundation of Trinity Church,
of which he was an original proprietor in
1734. Edward Tuckerman married. June 21,
1738. Dorothy, daughter of Joseph Kidder,
and great-granddaughter of James Kidder,



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



19



who settled at Billerica in 1640. Her
mother's maiden name was Dorothy Dows.
Both the Kidder and Dows famihes became
Church of England people ; Dorothy Kid-
der's first cousin, Joseph Dows, being a
warden of Trinity from its foundation to
his death, in 1764. When Edward Tucker-
man died, he left a son named Edward, see
forward.

(IV) Edward (2), son of Edward (i) and
Dorothy (Kidder) Tuckerman, was born
December 29. 1740, died July 22, 1818. He
was a grain merchant and was regarded as
the chief authority on the production and
prices of that commodity in New England.
Chosen at the town meeting held in Boston
in 1782 to the office of surveyor of wheat,
he was re-elected almost continuously until
his death, a period of thirty-seven years. In
1771 he received from Governor Hutchinson
a commission as lieutenant in the Boston
Artillery Company, which he resigned at the
outbreak of the revolution. He served with
Washington's army in the campaign about
Boston, and afterwards acted as disbursing
officer for the state of Massachusetts in the
grants of money mjide for the Continental
army. In 1798 he was one of the founders
of -the first fire insurance company in New
England, if not in America, the Massachu-
setts Mutual, and later was one of the
founders of the Massachusetts General Hos-
pital. He was three times elected a mem-
ber of the general court of Massachusetts.
His portrait, executed by Sharpless in pas-
tel, is preserved in the family. Edward
Tuckerman married, February 20, 1766,
Elizabeth, daughter of Stephen Harris. The
house on Orange street, which he built in
1770. was of the Colonial type, of the most
substantial construction, and was standing,
as good as new, a hundred years later. In
the siege of Boston a cannon-ball struck it.
and was embedded in an exterior beam,
where for many years it was an object of
curious observation. Children:

I. Elizabeth, born 1768, died 1829. She mar-
ried Stephen Salisbury, of Worcester, Mas-
sachusetts, the grandfather of the Stephen
Salisbury who died in 1905, leaving to his
native town a fortune of six million dollars.
In the Art Gallerv at Worcester hang two
fine portraits of Elizabeth Tuckerman, one
by Gilbert Stuart and the other by Harding.



2. Edward (the third of that name in di-
rect descent), born February 13, 1775, died
May 29, 1843. He was one of the leading
merchants of Boston and a partner of Rob-
ert Gould Shaw. He founded the Provident
Institution for Savings in 1816, the first sav-
ings bank in the United States except the
Philadelphia Savings Fund Association,
which claims to have begun business one
month earlier. Associated with him in or-
ganizing this institution were William Phil-
lips, Samuel Parkman, John Lowell, Russell
Sturgis, Jonathan Russell, Josiah Quincy,
Dr. \\'illiam E. Channing, Charles Lowell,
Elisha Ticknor, Jonathan Amory Jr., Joseph
Coolidge Jr., Thomas Motley, Lewis Tap-
pan and James Savage. He was also a di-
rector of the Massachusetts Bank from 1810
to 1841 ; a trustee of the Massachusetts Gen-
eral Hospital, and for several years was
president of that corporation ; chairman of
the board of managers of the Boston Dis-
pensary ; trustee of the Massachusetts Bible
Society, and in 1841 a delegate to the meet-
ing of the British and Foreign Bible Society
in London ; an original subscriber and pro-
prietor of the Boston Athenaeum, in 1807;
a justice of the peace and an overseer of the
poor. At the town meeting held in Faneuil
Hall, January 22, 1821, the thanks of the
town were voted to him for his services ren^
dered in that office. He was a proprietor of
St. Paul's Church, and a vestryman thereof
from 1827 until his death in 1843. Edward
Tuckerman married (first) December 19.
1798, Hannah, daughter of Sarah Shaw and
Samuel Parkman. He married (second)
January 28, 1817, Sophia, daughter of Colo-
nel John May, one of the patriots who
threw the tea overboard in Boston Harbor,
in 1773, and a major in the army of the
Comte de Rochambeau. He resided at No.
33 Beacon street, Boston, on land purchased
from the heirs of John Hancock. His • t-
trait and that of his first wife and two of his
second wife were painted by Gilbert Stuart.
There is also a bust of him by a French
sculptor and two miniatures, one by Grim-
aldi and one by Rogers. Sons: i. Edward
(fourth of that name in direct descent), born
in Boston, Massachusetts, December 7, 1817,
died in .Amherst, Massachusetts, March 15,
1886. He was a distinguished botanist,
specializing in lichenology. He graduated



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



at Union College in 1837, and afterwards at
Harvard, and the Harvard Law and Divin-
ity schools. In 1841 he studied in Europe



Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 4 of 95)