Cuyler Reynolds.

Genealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 40 of 95)
Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 40 of 95)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he kept in his own house. His only publica-
tions were a sermon, preached in England, and
a pamphlet written in defense of attacks made
upon him for encroaching upon the neighbor-
hood of ministers not of the Church of Eng-
land.

He married (first), about 1727, Abigail
Mumford, born September 3, 1710, died in
1731, daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Rem-
ington) Mumford; by whom: Caleb, born
February 27, 1728; Samuel, see forward. He
married (second) Elizabeth Powell, who sur-
vived him, and their children were five sons
and three daughters. The sons, of whom Dr.
Adam Seabury was the eldest, remained for
the most part in Hempstead and have a worthy
and respected posterity ; of the daughters, one,
Elizabeth, married Dr. Benjamin Tredwell,
and another, Abigail, married Gilbert Van
Wyck. Both the Tredwell and Van Wyck de-
scendants are very numerous, and through
their marriages include many other names scat-
tered throughout the United States and Can-
ada. Of the sons of the first wife, Caleb, the
elder, the name of whose wife is unknown,
is said to have left two sons. Caleb and John.
Nothing is known of the son Caleb ; but the
son John was a man of character and position,
who resided in \'ermont. and served in the war
of 181 2 with the rank of colonel. He mar-
ried Mary . and afterwards Dorothy Har-
ris, and his progeny is fully set forth in the
book of Harris Genealogy by N. H. Harris.

(V) Bishop Samuel (4) Seabury, son of
Rev. Samuel (3) and Abigail (Mumford)
Seabury, was born at Groton, Connecticut,
November 30, 1729, died in New London.
Connecticut, February 25, 1796. His boyhood



was spent with his father in the place of his
nativity, as well as in New London and
Hempstead, whence he entered Yale College,
graduating in 1748. He afterwards received
from that college the degree of M. A., and
later (1777) from the University of Oxford
the degree of Doctor of Divinity. He studied
medicine at the University of Edinburgh,
Scotland, in 1751 or 1752, and in 1753 was
ordained in London both deacon and priest.
Returning as missionary of the Society for
Propagation of the Gospel, he had charge for
a year or so of the church in New Brunswick,
New Jersey, and in 1757 was collated by Gov-
ernor Sir Charles Hardy to the rectorate of
Grace Church, Jamaica. New York, and in
1766, by mandate of Governor Sir Henry
Moore, was inducted rector of .St. Peter's,
Westchester, New York, and there resided and
officiated until the troubles of the revolution
caused the discontinuance of his ministrations
in that place. Adhering to the legitimate gov-
ernment, which he regarded as essential to
the preservation of the church, he was con-
spicuously involved in controversies with the
revolutionary party from the time of his first
charge in New Brunswick until he was kid-
napped from his parsonage in Westchester by
a band of patriots under Captain Sears, in
November, • 1775, by whom he was taken on
horseback to New Haven, where he was im-
prisoned for about six weeks, until released
on demand of the president of the provincial
congress in New York and allowed to return
home. The animosity against him was par-
ticularly intensified by his authorship of what
are known as the Farmer Pamphlets, from his
signature of A. W. Farmer. His continued
molestation made his residence at home im-
possible, and he went within the British lines
in New York. Here he resided during the
war. serving as chaplain of the King's .Amer-
ican Regiment by commission of Sir Henry
Clinton, officiating as missionary at St. An-
drew's Church, on Staten Island, and for the
better support of his family practicing med-
icine in the city. At the close of the war he
was elected. March 25. 1783, by the Church
of England clergy in Connecticut as bishop
of the church in that state, and in June fol-
lowing sailed for England, seeking consecra-
tion. The English bishops, though opposing
no personal objection to the applicant, did
not feel themselves free, on account of their



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



state connection, to consecrate him, and he
sought and obtained, November 14, 1784, con-
secration at the hands of three bishops of
the Scottish church, who were of the same
Episcopal lineage as the English, but whose
connection with the state had long been sev-
ered. He returned to Connecticut in 1785; he
resided in New London and discharged the
duties of the Episcopate and of the rectorate
of St. James's Cluirch for about eleven years,
until his death. In 1790 the church of Rhode
Island also came under his jurisdiction. He
was the first bishop of settled jurisdiction in
the United States. Two others were conse-
crated in England, in 1787, and one in 1790,
and he united with these three in the con-
secration, in 1792, of Claggett, of Maryland,
through whom every subsequent American
bishop of their Communion traces. He was
the first president of the House of Bishops of
the Protestant Episcopal Church, and im-
pressed upon the Liturgy of that church its
most distinguished characteristic. His bones
repose beneath an altar tomb in the Church
of St. James, and there are many memorials of
him, both there and elsewhere in the United
States, as also in Scotland and in England.
His published works are numerous, but apart
from controversial papers, mostly sermons.
Two volumes of these were published before
his death, and one, prepared by him for the
press, afterwards. A life of him was pub-
lished by Rev. Dr. E. E. Beardsley, in 1881,
and a Memoir of him, in 1908, by Rev. Dr. W.
J. Seabury.

Bishop Samuel Seabury married. October
12, 1756, Mary, daughter of Edward and
X'ioletta TRicketts) Hicks, of Staten Lsland.
New York. Their children were: Violetta
Ricketts, Abigail Mumford, Mary, Samuel.
Edward. Charles, sec forward. All of these,
except Mary, were married, and the two mar-
ried daughters left children ; but none of the
sons had issue, excepting the youngest son,
Charles, therefore all the descendants of the
bishop trace through him if of the name of
Seabury.

(VI) Rev. Charles Seabury, son of Bishop
Samuel (4) and Marv (Hicks) Seabury, was
born at Westchester, New York, May 29, 1770,
died at Setauket, Long Island, December 29!
1844- He went to New London when his
father settled there in 1785; studied under
tutors, and was ordained deacon by his father.



in 1793, and priest, by Bishop Provoost, of
New York, in 1799. He officiated some time
at Grace Church, Jamaica, Long Island, suc-
ceeded his father as rector of St. James, and
so remained until 1814, when he became rec-
tor of Caroline Church, at Setauket, Long
Island. New York. Here he resided until his
death, having charge also of the churches at
Huntington and at Islip. He was eminently
the faithful pastor and his works were in the
hearts of his people. He was, as his father had
been, a member of the Masonic Order. He
married (first) June 13, 1799, Anne, daughter
of Rosewell and Elizabeth (Stewart) Salton-
stall, of New London. He married (second)
Elizabeth (Handy) Moscrop, widow of Rev.
Henry Moscrop. Of this second marriage
there was no issue; the children of the first
marriage were five sons, and one daughter,
who died in infancy. Of the five sons, two
died unmarried, and the other three. Samuel,
Charles Saltonstall and Richard Francis, mar-
ried and left issue. Charles Saltonstall Seabury
married Ruth Hawkins Mount ; lived at Stony
Brook. Long Island, and left three sons and
three daughters. His only male descendant
bearing the name at present is Edward
Scratchley Seabury. son of Thomas Shepard
Seabury, second son of Charles Saltonstall
Seabury. Richard Francis Seabury married
(first) Lydia Maria Russell, and (second)
Catherine Eliza Russell, and had three sons by
the second marriage, Charles, Richard and
Samuel, and several daughters, all settled in
Illinois. Of these, Charles had one son,
Charles \\'ard Seabury, and Samuel had two
sons, Edward F. and William Samuel. This
line is therefore continued in the eldest son
of Rev. Charles Seabury.

(VII) Rev. Samuel (5) Seabury, son of
Rev. Charles and Anne (Saltonstall) Seabury,
was born at New London, Cotinecticut, June
9, 1801, died in New York City. October 10,
1872. His boyhood was spent in New London
until in his fourteenth year he went with his
father to Setauket, Long Island. He had scant
facilities, but with an unquenchable thirst for
learning, acquired it in large measure, and
early began to teach others, starting for him-
self when about twenty years old a school for
boys in Brooklyn. He was ordained by Bishop
Hobart. of New York, deacon, in 1826, and
priest, in 1827. He had several pastorates on
Long Island, and was professor in St. Paul's



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



College, at Flushing. About 1833 he became
editor of the Neiv York Churchman, making it
a distinguished leader in church journalism
until about 1850. In 1838 he was founder
and first rector of the Church of the Annun-
ciation in the City and Diocese of New York,
holding that rectorate until 1868. From 1862
to his death, in 1872, he was professor of
Biblical Learning and Interpretation in the
General Theological Seminary in New York
City. He was for years a distinguished and
useful member of the standing committee of
the New York Diocese. He received from
Columbia College the honorary degrees of
M. A. and D.D. Besides his editorial and homi-
letic writings, which were of extraordinary
volume and power, his published works were
numerous. Chief of these in book form were
a "Life of Augustine, Bishop of Hippo," "The
Continuity of the Church of England in the
Sixteenth Century," "American Slavery Dis-
tinguished from the Slavery of English Theo-
rists," and "The Theory and Use of the
Church Calendar."

He married (first) May 17, 1829, Lydia
Huntington, daughter of Gurdon and Betsey
(Tracy) Bill, who died April 16, 1834, leaving
two daughters, Anne Saltonstall, who married
Rev. Dr. William Walton, and Lydia, who be-
came the wife of Samuel Peters Bell, Esq., of
which marriage were sons and daughters. He
married (second) November 17, 1835, Han-
nah Amelia, born 1807, died 1852, daughter
of Hon. William and Kezia (Youngs) Jones,
of Queens covmty. Long Island. The chil-
dren of this marriage were : William Jones,
see forward ; Kezia, married James Weeks, by
whom several sons and one daughter; Mary,
married Rev. Henry A. Parker, having five
sons ; Ellen Amelia, married Rev. Charles W.
Ward, having one son, Charles Seabury Ward,
now deceased without issue ; Susan, died in in-
fancy. He married (third") October 17, 1854,
Mary Anna Schuyler, daughter of Hon. Sam-
uel and Catherine f -Schuyler) Jones, of which
marriage was one daughter, Catherine Regina
Seabury.

(VIII) Rev. William Jones Seabury, son
of Rev. Samuel (5) and Hannah Amelia
(Tones) Seabury, was born in New York
City, January 25, 1837. He graduated B. .A.,
Columbia College, in 1856; M. A., of the same.
in 1859; D. D., of Hobart College, in 1874;
ad eundcm. General Theological Seminary, in



1885. He was admitted to the bar of the state
of New York in 1858, and practiced in New
York City until 1864, when he entered t^ie
General Theological Seminary, graduating in
1866; was ordained deacon and priest by
Bishop Horatio Potter, of New York, in 1866;
rector of the Church of the Annunciation
from 1868 to 1898; Professor of Ecclesias-
tical Polity and Law in the General Theo-
logical Seminary since 1873; author of "Man-
ual for Choristers," 1878 ; "Lectures on Apos-
tolic Succession," 1893 ; "Introduction to the
Study of Ecclesiastical Polity," 1894; "Notes
on the Constitution of 1901," published in
1902; "Memoir of Bishop Seabury," 1908;
also of many reviews and casual papers ; editor
"Memoir of Rev. Samuel Seabury, D. D.,"
1873, and of discourses and other papers of
the same, 1874. (See "Who's Who," A. N.
Marquis, Chicago).

Rev. William Jones Seabury married, Octo-
ber 29, 1868, Alice Van Wyck Beare, born
June 1, 1848, died February 24, 1904, daugh-
ter of Thomas Marston and Mary Susan
(Saltonstall) Beare. The children of this
marriage were two sons and three daughters:
Susan Saltonstall, married to Dr. Edmund
Wallen Bill, having two daughters ; Lydia
Winthrop, married to William H. P. Oliver,
having three sons and one daughter, and
Muriel Gurdon, married to Rev. William O.
Jarvis, and dying without issue, December 18,
1907. The sons were Samuel, see forward,
and William Marston Seabury, see forward.

(IX) Samuel (6) Seabury, son of Rev.
William Jones and Alice Van Wyck (Beare)
.Seabury, was born in New York, New York,
February 22, 1873. After graduating from
the school of Wilson & Kellogg, he devoted
himself directly to the study of law, and was
first entered as a student in the ofifice of the
late Stephen P. Nash, at the same time at-
tending a course of night lectures for those
engaged in office duty by day. In i8go he
entered the first class, which graduated from
the New York Law School, graduating LL. B.,
in 1893, and afterwards as a graduate studr^nt
completed the course for the LL. M.. which
the school was then not yet authorized to con-
fer. He was admitted to the New York bar
in 1894, and practiced in the firm of Seabury
& Pickford, giving also much time to private
instruction and preparation of students for
bar examinations. He was later of the firm



SOUTH KRX XEW YORK



of Morgan & Seabiiry. In lyoi, at the age
of twenty-eight, he was elected a judge of the
city court of the city of Kew York, and serv-
ing thus for five years, he was in 1906 elected
a justice of the sujjrcme court of the state.
On retiring from the first court named, he
puhlished "The Law and Practice of the City
Court of the City of New York," issued by
Baker, \oorhis & Company, 1907, a volume
of 1. 417 pages. His other literary labors in
the way of casual papers as well as judicial
opinions have been voluminous. He is a
member of the Manhattan Club of New
York, the City Club and the Reform Club.

Judge Samuel Seabury married. June 6,
1900. Josephine Maud, third daughter of Rev.
Dr. Thomas Richcy, Professor of Ecclesi-
astical History in the General Theological
Seminary, and Emma Cecilia Bacot, his \vife.
(IX) William Marston Seabury, son of
Rev. William Jones and Alice Van W'yck
(Beare) Seabury, was born in New York
City, March 18, 1878. He was educated in
part at the W'ilson & Kellogg School, and in
part under tutors. He graduated from the
New York Law School, LL. B., in 1S98, and
was admitted to the bar of the state of New
York in 1899, at which bar he was engaged
in active practice until 1910, when ill-health
compelled him to leave New York. He re-
moved to Phoeni.x, Arizona, where he has
since resided. He was admitted to practice
before the supreme court of the United States
in January. 1904. Prior to 1910 he appeared,
especially in litigation of importance, before
the courts of New Jersey and Illinois. He
was regularly licensed to practice before all
the courts of .Xrizona. in. 1910, and before
the courts of California, both state and fed-
eral, in 191 1, and before the commerce court
at W^ashington, D. C, 1912. He is a member
of the .\merican Bar .Association, the Associa-
tion of the Bar of the City of New York, the
New York State Bar .Association, the Arizona
State Bar Association, and a member of the
Society of Medical Jurisprudence. He is a
member of the Maiihattan Chili, the Down
Town Association, the Church Club and the
Knickerbocker Whist Club, all of New York :
the Society of Colonial Wars, the St. Nich-
olas Society, the Society of Mayflower De-
scendants, the Huguenot Societv of America.
the Sons of the Revolution and Sons of the
American Revolution.



William Marston Seabury married, Novem-
ber 10, 1900, Katharine Emerson, daughter of
Rev. Henry Emerson Hovey (some time rec-
tor of the historical St. John's Church, Ports-
mouth, New Hampshire) and Sarah Louise
Folsom. his wife, both of notable colonial de-
scent. Children : Katharine Lispenard, born
April I, 1902; Etheldreda Winthrop, March
5, 1904; Muriel Gurdon, May 3, 1910.

Note — Abstracted by permission, from Biograph-
ical Record of Descendants of John Seabury. Bos-
ton and Barbadoes, 1639-1659. now being published
by \V J. Seabury.



This family is of Welsh origin
DAVIES and was first known under the
name of Davies in 1581, when
Robert ap David of Gwysany assumed it, and
received confirmation of the family arms and
grant of crest and motto. From the best in-
formation that can be obtained, it appears that
John Davies, the immigrant, was the only son
of Thomas Davies, fourth son of Robert
Davies of Gwysany Castle, in the jiarish of
Mold, Flintshire, England. The family for
years has ranked among the first of Xorth
Whales. They derived an unbroken descent
from the famed Cymric Efell, Lord of Eylwys
Eyle, who lived A. D. 1200, son of Madoc ap
Meredith, Prince of Powys Fadoc, sixth in
descent from Merwyn, King of Powys, third
son of Rodic Maur.

(I) John Davies, the immigrant ancestor,
was born in England, in Kingston parish in
1680, and came to America in 1735 with his
wife, Catherine Spenser. He settled in the
western part of Litchfield county, Connecticut,
and purchased one hundred and sixty acres of
land from Thomas Lee for one hundred and
fiiiv pounds, within the present town of Wash-
ington. W'ithin fifteen years after his arrival
he was owner of a large and valuable tract
containing nearly a thousand acres of the besf
land in Litchfield county. In religion he was
Episcopalian, being one of the founders of the
Episcopal church at Litchfield. On April 4.
1747, he conveyed to Mr. Samuel Cole, as trus-
tee for the church, a tract of fifty-two acres
of land in Litchfield, to be held for the use and
benefit of the minister of the church. At his
request the church was named .St. Michael's,
and the first service held April 23, 1749. In
1747 Mr. Davies gave to his son a tract of four
hundred and thirty acres, and in 1750 he gave



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



213



to his grandsons, John, Thomas and William,
one hundred and twenty acres of land. His
wife died several years before he did, but the
exact dates are unknown. He had only one
child, John.

(H) John (2), son of John (i) Davies,
was born in England, in 171 1, died May 19,
1797, aged eighty-six years. He was educated
at the University of Oxford, and in 1734 mar-
ried Elizabeth Brown, who died about 1739.
He married (second) in England. 1744, Mary
Powell, who died December 15, 1801, aged
seventy-five years. He made two or more
voyages to America before he finally settled
here in 1747 on the land given him by his
father. As a member of the Episcopal society
in Litchfield he was influential. Like his
father, he did not appear to have much interest
in taking part in public atTairs. During the
French and Indian war, 1757, he purchased a
large tract of land in Saratoga county, New
York, and went there to take possession, but
was kept from his purpose by hostile Lidians,
and returned to Connecticut in 1758. He and
his family were Tories, and the property of
his sons John and \\'illiam was confiscated,
and John was fined and imprisoned for a year
in Litchfield jail for giving aid to the royal
cause. His young son David narrowly escaped
death for the same reason, but was pardoned
on enlisting in the continental army during
the war, it is written, although his name does
not appear on the war rolls. After the sepa-
ration of Birch Plains of "Davies Hollow"
from the township, the family withdrew from
the church and built one principally at their
own expense near their homes. Children, by
first wife, born in England: John, mentioned
below; Thomas, born January 2, 1737; Will-
iam, born 1739, died in infancy. Children, by
second wife, born in England : William, born
January 29, 1744; Mary, March 17, 1745, died
young; James, 1746, died in infancy; Walter,
June 22, 1747. Born in America: Catherine,
born July 20, 175 1 ; Elizabeth, July 3, 1753;
.•\nn, November 18, 1755 ; James John, Decem-
ber 31, 1757; David, March 14, 1759; Rachel,
.\ugust 20. 1761 : George, February 12, 1764:
Thomas. May 30, 1766.

(IH) John (3), son of John (2) Davies,
was born at Kingston, county of Hereford,
England, June. 1735, and was brought to
America by his father when young. In 1750
his grandfather conveyed to him a tract of



land, and in 1758 his father gave him sixty
acres. During the revolution he was im-
prisoned for aiding England's cause, as well
as being deprived of his property. He was
active in the organization of the Church of
St. John, founded by his father. In 1793 or
1794 he opened a store in the town of Wash-
ington, in partnership with his son Thomas
John. They also purchased cattle in the coun-
try which they sold in New York. This enter-
prise was successful until the summer of 1798,
when there was an epidemic of yellow fever in
New York, and the cattle drove sent there
was an entire loss to him. This last blow
seems to have discouraged him, and he died
April 18, 1799, aged sixty-four. He married,
in 1763, Eunice Hotchkiss, of New Haven,
who died March 29, 1824, aged seventy-nine.
Children : Elizabeth, Thomas John, Eunice,
Esther, all born before 1774.

(IV') Thomas John, son of John (3) Davies,
was born at Davies Hollow, November, 1767.
He lived near his father. As the rest of the
family had been, he was an Episcopalian, and
in August, 1796, he was elected chorister. In
1798 he met with reverses in business and
determined to start again on the shore of
Black Lake, St. Lawrence county. New York.
In 1800 he removed his family there and made
a home in the wilderness. Soon many families
were settled near, and Mr. Davies always had
a leading part in the community. In politics
he was a Democrat and for ten years held the
office of sherifif of St. Lawrence county, and
served for several years as county judge. Two
sons, Charles and Thomas, he sent to the
United States Military Academy at West
Point. He died April 18, 1845, aged seventy-
eight, and was buried on his own grounds at
Black Lake. He married, December 29, 1792,
Ruth Foote, daughter of Captain John Foote,
of \\'atertown, Connecticut, who died Septem-
ber 21, 1852. Children: Belvidcre, wife of
Cieorge Ranney ; John Foote, Charles, Henry
E., mentioned below; Thomas Alfred, and
Eunice Ruth.

iV) Henry Ebenezer, son of Thomas John
Davies. was born at Black Lake, February 8,
1805. At the age of fourteen he entered the
family of the late Judge Alfred Conkling, at
Canandaigua, to prepare for the profession of
the law. On becoming of age he was admitted
to the bar in Albany county, April, 1826. He
began his professional career in Buffalo, theo



214

a small village on the western frontier. His
first important case was between the owners
of uplands who wished to extend warehouses
into the river and shut oiif ancient rights of
wav and by the aid of old residents, includmg
the Seneca Chief, Red Jacket, establishing the
fact that the right of way had existed from
time immemorial, Mr. Davies won his case and
his victory resulted in his election in the fol-
lowing year as city attorney. In the winter of
1S29-30 he removed to New York City and
soon afterward formed a partnership with his
uncle. Samuel A. Foote, and the firm contin-
ued until 1848. when Mr. Foote retired.
.■\mong the clients of the firm were various
large corporations, including the Erie Rail-
road Company. Mr. Davies next entered into
partnership with Hon. William Kent, and the
firm lasted until 1853. His next partner was
Henry ]. Scudder, son-in-law of Prof. Charles
Davies." When Mr. Davies was elected a ju.s-
tice of the supreme court in 1855, James C.
Carter, who had been a clerk of the firm, was
admitted to partnership and the firm became
Scudder & Carter.

Mr. Davies was always a Whig in politics
and was an able public speaker and cam-
paigner. In 1840 he was elected assistant
alderman of the City of New York from the
Fifteenth Ward and in 1842 was chosen an
alderman. At this time, he was chairman of
the committee in charge of celebrating the in-
troduction of Croton water in the city. In
1850 he was appointed corporation counsel,
and he held the office for three years. One of
the most important services he rendered in this
office was in successfully defending Mayor
Cornelius W. Lawrence in suits for damages
caused by the blowing up of buildings to
check a conflagration, upon order of the
mayor. After he retired from this office he
made, at the request of the common council,
a compilation of the statutes relating to the



Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 40 of 95)