Cuyler Reynolds.

Genealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 52 of 95)
Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 52 of 95)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


name of the family is written "Noorstrant."
Children: Antie, married John Rider; Jan,
born December 10, 1767, baptized March 13I
176S, in Success, died young; Phebe, married

Smieon Pettit; Losee, married Betsy' ;

Aaron, married Sarah Van Nostrand; John,'
married Abigail Horton; Martha, married
-\ert Middagli; Mary, born April 15, 1787,
married Gershom Fredericks; James, men-
tioned below; Abraham, married (first) Amy
Smith, (second) a woman whose first name
was Clara, and (third) Sarah MacManus (nee
Weeks).

(V) James, son of Martin and Sarah
(Losee) Van Nostrand, was born September
15. 1794, died March 18, i86i. He was a
wholesale grocer in New York and was also
president of the Merchants' Exchange Bank.
He was successful in business, gaining a com-
petency when he was already quite young in
commercial life. His will, dated April 3, 1855,
and proved April 22, 1861, mentioned all his
children. He married (first) February i,
1825, Sarah Uranid Greenwood, daughter of
Isaac, died October 31, 1826, aged twenty-one
years three months and five days; (second)
Ann Matilda Carpenter; (third) Martha Jane
Seymour, who survived him. Child by first
marriage : Sarah Uranid, died June 10, 1827 ;
child by second marriage : James Henry, men-
tioned below ; children by third marriage :
Seymour, who was United States consul in
Saxony for many years and died at Elizabeth,
New Jersey, aged fifty-nine years, unmarried;
Lily or Elizabeth, unmarried ; Marshall R.

(VI) James Henry, son of James and Ann
Matilda (Carpenter) Van Nostrand, was tiorn
about 1830. He married Jane C. MacManus,
daughter of Captain John and Sarah (Weeks)
MacManus, who were married in Brooklyn,
January 17. 1824. Children: Nellie; Charles
B., mentioned below.

(VII) Charles B., son of James Henry and
Jane C. (MacManus) Van Nostrand. was
born in New York county, New York, March.
1863. He was educated at the Polytechnic
Institute. He married, at Bangor. Maine.
1892, Robina Howell. He is president and
director of the Van Nostrand Company and
vice-president of the United Mines Company;
treasurer of the New York & Richmond Gas
Company and treasurer and director of the
Journal nf Commerce. He is a member of
the St. Nicholas Society, Holland Society and



272



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



the Racquet and Tennis, Riding, City, Midday,
Downtown, Tuxedo and Hamilton clubs.

(\T) Matthew Barnes, son of
BARNES Isaac (3) Barnes (q. v.), was
born in Cooperstown, New
York, in 1800, died in Cornwall, New York,
in May, i860. He received his early educa-
tion in the public schools of his native town,
and at the age of eighteen years engaged with
an elder brother in road building, continuing
until his marriage, when he settled on a farm
in Cornwall township, which he cultivated
until his death. He married, in 1822, Mary,
daughter of Benjamin V^an Duser, of Corn-
wall, born in 1800, died in 1886. Children:
Mary E., married Joel Pinckney; Isaac, mar-
ried Sarah J. Rumsey ; Van Duscr, married
Ruth Martin ; William, married Hannah Bel-
cher ; Sarah, married Joshua Fritts; Hiram,
died in 1875, married Mary A. Fowler; Sam,
uel, died young; Nathaniel, married Anna
Wright ; Phoebe, married Andrew J. Thorn ;
Ann. married Samuel Quackenbush ; James
H., married Anna Taylor; J. Milton, referred
to below.

(VH) J. Milton, son of Matthew and Mary
(Van Duser) Barnes, was born on the old
family homestead in Cornwall township,
Orange county. New York, October 9, 1844,
and is now living in Central Valley, New
York. He received his early education in the
public school at Mountainvillc, New York,
and then learned the trade of a carpenter, in
which lie engaged until 1876, when he settled
in Central Valley, and formed a partnership
with A. H. Cooper in the general merchandise
business, which continued until 1S84, when
Mr. Cooper flisposed of his interest to Henry
C. Thorn, and the firm continued until t8S6.
In that year Mr. Thorn sold out to Ambrose
Dom and the firm continued for three years
until i88(). when Mr. Barnes purchased the
interest of his partner and became sole pro-
prietor of the business, which he conducted
until 1897, when he disposed of it and estab-
lished a feed, coal and agricultural implement
business, which he conducted imtil October i,
191 1, when he admitted to partnership his
nephew, Morgan S. Elmer, and the firm be-
came J. M. Barnes & Company, which it still
continues. He was appointed postmaster of
Central Valley in 1885 and again in 1802, and
was the commissioner of highways in 1893-94-



95. He is now one of the trustees of Central
Valley Methodist Episcopal church. He is
treasurer of the Central Valley Land and Im-
provement Company, and has been for tifteen
years treasurer of the Union Building and
Loan Association of the town of Woodbury,
New York. He is vice-president of the Cen-
tral Valley National Bank. He is a Democrat
in politics. He married, November 6, 1884,
Hannah M., daughter of Hon. Morgan Shuit,
of Central Valley, New- York. Her father
was for over thirty years supervisor of Alun-
roe township, and he also served one term as
member of assembly. Mr. Barnes has no
children.



This surname is usually given as
GRIGGS Scotch in origin, but the bearers

of the name in Washingtonville,
Orange county. New York, are stated to have
come from Germany or Holland. Concerning
the name, August Frederick Pott has this to
say: "Familiennamen Greger. Graeger, Krag-
ermann, vielleicht aus Gregorius. woraus auch
Engl. Gregorson. Gregson, Grigg, Griggs und
Grocock," W'hich being interpreted is to the ef-
fect that the German family names Gregor,
Graeger and Kragermann, as well as the Eng-
lish names Gregorson, Gregson, Grigg, Griggs
and Grocock, are derived from the Latin per-
sonal name Gregorius. which was in its turn
derived from the Greek Grcgorios. Pott, who
is the great German authority on surnames, is
mistaken in so far as he believes that Griggs
and its allied names in the United Kingdom
are English in origin. They are really an Eng-
lish rendering of ancient Scotch or Gaelic
names. The well-known personal name of
Gregorius has not only become itself a sur-
name, but has given rise to various others,
especially Gregorson. Gregg, Gregson, Griggs,
Grisfson, Greig, Grix and possibly Grocock.
These forms are mostlv Scotch, and Grier and
Grierson, not to mention Mac Gregor. are
cntirelv so. The familv of Gregorv of War-
wickshire, England, is traced to John Greg-
ory, lord of the manor of Freneley and
Asfordbv. county Leicester, England, in the
thirteenth centurv. Greeg of Northcliffe Hall,
county Chester. England, is reearded as being
descended from the Clan Mac Grcsror of Scot-
land. Kings James VI. and Charles I. issued
edicts against the Clan Gregor. denouncing the
whole clan or sept, and forbidding the use of



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



273



the name. In consequence many of the race
became Campbells, Gregs, Greigs and Griggs,
the termination "son" or "s" standing for the
Gaelic prefix "Mac'' (son). It may therefore
be presumed that the tirst ancestor of the Ger-
man or Dutch Griggs in this country bore
some name like Gregers, Graegers, and that
this name became gradually transformed to
the more familiar Griggs. Colonial settlers of
the name of Griggs came to New England to
the number of about ten before the year 1700,
and some of them have been traced bacK to
Scotland, and some as of record in England at
Lavenham and Ipswich, and others of them in
Ireland. One branch of the family bore the
arms thus heraldically described : Gules three
ostrich feathers argent. Crest : A sword in
pale enfiled with a leopard's face proper.

The Griggs family of Massachusetts was
established by Thomas Griggs, of Roxbury
(now Boston), who came with his wife Mary
and sons Joseph and John and daughter Mary,
and was of record as a land owner as early
as 1639 in the town of Roxbury. in the Mas-
sachusetts Bay Colony. Most of the persons
bearing the name of Griggs in America trace
their descent to this Thomas Griggs, of Rox-
bury. The colonial records of New Jersey
mention among the first settlers of the name
Benjamin. Daniel. Samuel and Thomas Griggs.
The present Griggstown was founded by Ben-
jamin Griggs and his brothers on the banks of
the Millstone river, where he settled and built
a grist mill as early as 1733. These four
brothers established the Griggs family in New
Jersey, and their descendants are numerous
and widely scattered through the west.
(I) Alexander Griggs, the immigrant an-
cestor of the Griggs family of Washington-
ville, Orange county. New York, was born in
Baden-Baden. Germany, died in the village of
Marlboro, Ulster county. New York. Soon
after his arrival here he took up patents in
Ulster county, where the village of Marlboro
now stands. He was one of the first to do
so, and soon stood high among the pioneer
settlers of that region. He had several
children. There is some doubt as to his bap-
tismal name, but it is presumed to be Alex-
ander. Little is known as to the details of his
life, but he seems to have been a well-in-
formed man of worthy character, and to have
been a capable agriculturist and business man.
He came to America probably in the year 1712,



and the date of the patent granted to him at
Marlboro is February 14, 1714.

(II) Alexander (2), son of Alexander (ij
Griggs, was probably born in Marlboro, Ulster
county, New York, and died there, having
lived in the same neighborhood nearly all his
life. Even less is known regarding the events
of his career than regarding those of his
father, and there is doubt also as to his real
baptismal name. He was a farmer, engaging
also to some extent in commercial pursuits.
He married and brought up a family of chil-
dren.

(HI) Ferdinand, son- of .Me.xandcr (2)
Griggs, was born about the year 1771 on the
paternal farm at Marlboro. Ulster county,
New York, and died at Milton. Ulster county,
New York. His boyhood was spent in his
native place, and afterwards he took up his
residence at Milton, where he followed black-
smithing and farming, owning at Milton a
tract of land comprising about seventy-five
acres. He was a man of much ability, and
was greatly respected at Milton, where the
?i eater part of his life was passed. He proved
himself to be a successful agriculturist, work-
ing as far as he could in a scientific and busi-
ness-like way, and in course of time built up a
valuable property. In politics he was an old-
line W'hie. and in religious belief he was a
Presbvterian. He married Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of a Mr. Fowler, who lived about six miles
*"rom Milton, and who was probably descended
from Pennsylvania Quaker ancestry. Chil-
dren : I. Fowler G., who followed farming: in
Cornwall. Orange county, New York. 2. Mar-
tha, married James Halt, who operated the old
familv homestead. 3. Daniel, who died when
he attained his thirtieth year. 4. Harvey H.
mentioned below. 5. Henry Crawford, men-
tioned below. 6. Lewis. 7. Thomas. 8.
Kat'ira Maria, married Samuel Halsey.

(TV) Harvev H., third son of Ferdinand
and Elizabeth (Fowler) Griggs, was born Feb-
ri'arv 13, 1806. on the old homestead at Milton,
New York. He became a well-known farmer
and business man of the county. He showed
a great eagerness for study of a practical kind,
and he made farming his life work: he pros-
pered as an aericulturist, accumulating a con-
siderable propertv, owning eighty-five acres in
Plattekill township and cip-htv acres in Marl-
boro township. His political support was
given to the Whig party in early life, and he



274



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



voted for William Henry Harrison, but on
the organization of the Republican party he
joined its ranks and was ever afterwards one
of its stalwart supporters. In the year 1885
he sold his farm and removed to Poughkeepsie,
where he spent his remaining days. In religion
he was a Methodist, and regularly attended the
services of that church. He married, in 1830,
Susan Smith, who was of Holland-Dutch de-
scent, tracing her ancestry to Peter Stuyvesant.
Her parents were Eben and Susanna (Del-
amater) Smith, residing at Milton, Ulster
county, New York, where the father owned
an extensive farm. There were several mem-
bers of the Smith family who became prom-
inent, including Friend W., a Methodist min-
ister, who twice served as pastor of St. James
church, Kingston; James M., who was a well-
known physician; Jane L., who married Peter
Du Bois, a carpenter of New York. To Har-
vey H. Griggs and his wife were born eight
children, most of whom grew to manhood and
womanhood and had families.

( I\' ) Henry Crawford, fourth son of Fer-
dinand and Elizabeth (Fowler) Griggs, was
born at Milton, Ulster county. New York, died
March 19, 1902, at Washingtonville, Orange
county. New York. He was educated in the
district schools of Milton, and learned the tan-
ner's trade at Cornwall, Orange county. New
York, where he resided for a period of about
sixteen years. About the year 184 1 he ]iur-
chascd the old Moftatt farm of one hundred
and twelve acres, which he built up into a val-
uable property, holding it for a period of
twenty-five years. In 1869 he went to Wash-
ingtonville, Orange county. New York, and
purchased a home in the neighborhood, where
he lived a retired life until his death. Mr.
Ciriggs came of good stock, and showed the
traits that had distinguished the family from
its first settlement in this country during his
long life, which lasted upwards of ninety years.
He was a man of great ability and decisive
character, but he was content to turn that abil-
ity and the force of his character into the
laborious work connected with an agricultural
life. He was successful in that work, as he
would have made a success of almost any
work to which he might have laid his hand.
Amid the circle of his friends and acquaint-
ances he was respected for his manly qual-
ities of head and heart, for his upright life,
and for the sterling honesty of his character.



He took considerable interest in public affairs
even to the day of his death, and as he had in
early life been a Whig, he joined the Repub-
lican party on its organization, believing firmly
in the principles on which it was formed. He
was a Quaker in religion, and as long as he
was able was a fairly regular attendant at the
Quaker meeting place. He married (first), in
1841, Catherine Sayer. She died in 1853. He
married (second), in 1854, Eliza Har-
court. Children by first marriage : ]Mary Eliz-
abeth ; Martha Hait, married Charles Cooper ;
Louis, married Mary Bodle. Child by second
marriage : Henrietta, married Bradner Cam-
eron. All the children are now living in Wash-
ingtonville, New York.



Like manv of the
SCHOONALVKER Dutch names, this was
not adopted as a
surname until after its arrival in America. Its
descendants have been conspicuously identi-
fied with the history of New- York from a very
early period, and are still found in the lead-
ing occupations and social positions of the
state. It was first founded iit Albany and
thence spread throughout this and other
states.

(I) The first now known was Hendrick
Jochemsen (Schoonmaker), who came to
America from Holland in 1654 in the military
service, Dutch East India Company, as lieu-
tenant and sent to Fort Orange with his com-
pany. He first appears on the -records at
Albany, where he was residing as early as

1654. On April 10, 1655, the authorities at
Albany wrote to Governor Stuyvesant that
Hendrick Jochemsen, with others, had ad-
vanced money to the governor in time of need
in the ])revious year, and requested him to
make restitution, or forward a duly executed
oblisjation. as he had promised to do. Hen-
drick Jochemsen owned a lot on the east course
вЦ†)f State street and Broadway, in Albany,
which he sold to .\braham Staats. In April.

1655. he bought for three florins the sign of
Stephen Janse Conick. an innkeeper, there-
upon he engaged in the business of keeping an
inn. and during the same year was lieutenant
of the Burgher Company. In April of the
same year the farming out of the wine and
strong beer excise was sold at public sale at
the house of Hendrick Jocheinsen Schoon-
maker. On June tR, 1659, he bought a gar-



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



2/5



den in Beaverwyck, behind Fort Orange,
which had been patented to Jan Roeloffse in
1654. July 16, 1659, Hendrick Jochemsen
bought at pubHc sale a blue coat for forty-two
florins. July 20, 1661, he sold his house and
lot outside of Fort Orange, and on June 19,
1666, he sold his garden to Philip Peter Schuy-
ler, and July 12, 1669, he sold his house in
Albany to Abraham Staats. He enlisted when
Governor Stuyvesant called for recruits to sub-
due the Indians at Esopus, and proceeded to
that place in 1659. He appears in the rec-
ords, March 28, 1660, as a soldier in the
"Netherlandish service in the company of his
Noble Honor, the Director General," then
stationed at Esopus (Kingston). Soon after
this the governor curtailed the military estab-
lishment and induced several of the soldiers
to settle at Esopus by giving them grants of
land. Among these was Hendrick Jochemsen
Schoonniaker. He appears as a resident of
W'iltwyck (Kingston), October 24. 1661, pay-
ing an excise tax of seventy-five florins, and
in the following year. No. i of the "new lots"
was assigned to him. May 30, 1662, the mil-
itia was organized with Hendrick Jochemsen
as lieutenant. At the massacre and burning
of Kingston, June 7, 1663, he took an active
part in the defence against the savages ; was
twice wounded while defending his house at
the first onset. He fought bravely until the
arrival of Captain Chambers, and the Indians
were put to rout and the gates closed. At
this time his eldest son, Jochem Hendrick. was
captured by the Indians. When the English
gained possession of the Dutch colony in New
York, and stationed soldiers at Kingston, a
very natural friction arose between the resi-
dents and the garrison, and Lieutenant Hen-
drick Jochemsen was a leader in the demon-
stration known as the "Esopus Meeting of
1667." \\'ith him were all the Burgher guard
arraved in arms. Captain Chambers of the
guard being an Englishman naturally refused
to take side with the Bursrhers, and ordered
them to disarm and return to their homes.
This demonstration had been precipitated bv
the arrest and imprisonment of Cornelis Bar-
entsen Sleight, who afterwards married the
widow of Hendrick Jochemsen. At the time
of the latter's marriage to her she was Elsie
Tanse Brustede, widow of Adrian Pietersen
Van Alemer, and the marriage probably took
place a few years before his removal to King-



ston. He is said to have died in 1681. She
was the daughter of Jan Jansen Breestede and
Engeltje Janse Van Breestede. Children of
Hendrick Jochemsen Schoonmaker : Jochem
Hendrick, Egbert, Engeltje (Angelina), Hil-
litje, Volkeet.

(II) Jochem Hendrick Schoonmaker, eldest
son of Hendrick Jochemsen and his wife Elsie,
was born in 1658 at Fort Orange, and became
one of the pioneer settlers of what is now the
town of Rochester, Ulster county. New York.
In 1703 he was one of the three trustees of
the patent on which the settlement was made
and remained in that connection until his death
in 1713. From 1709 to 1712 he was supervisor
of the town of Rochester, and was captain of
a volunteer military company raised for de-
fence against the Indians. He married (first),
August I, 1679, Petronella Sleight, daughter
of Barentsen Sleight and his wife, Tryntje
Tysee Boz. She died before 1689. He mar-
ried (second). April 26, 1689, Ann, daugh-
ter of Frederick and Margaret (Boz) Hussey.
There were two children of first wife: Cor-
nelius Barentsen and Hendrick. Children of
second wife: Rebecca, Frederick, Jan, Mar-
sraret, Jacob, Jochem, Benjamin, Antje, Sarah,
Daniel.

(III) Cornelius Barentsen, eldest child of
Jochem Hendrick and Petronella (Sleight)
Schoonmaker, was born January 15. 1682, in
Rochester, where he passed his life, and died
October 14, 1757. He married, December 19,
171 1, Engeltje Roosa. of Hurley, baptized Sep-
tember 3, 1685, in Kingston, granddaughter of
Albert Heymans Roosa (see Roosa). Arie,
eldest son of Albert H. Roosa, was born in
Holland before 1650, probably as early as 1645,
and came with his father to America. His
name appears on the list of those who took
the oath of allegiance in Ulster county, Sep-
tember I. t68o. and he was captain of a foot
company in that place. In 1686. with five
others, he received a errant of land along the
east side of the Hudson river opposite the
mouth of Rondout creek, and there he subse-
nuentlv made his home. This was first called
the Arie Roos? Patent and is now Rhinebeck.
He married Maria Pels, daughter of Magis-
trate Evert Pels and his wife, Jannetje
Svmens. Children : Jannetje, born about
1670, Evert, baptized October 26. 1679 ; Weyn-
tie, June 4. 1682; Engeltje, above mentioned;
.^nnetje, December 22, 1687; Arrien, June 3,



276



SOUTHERX NEW YORK



1694; Mary, August 28, 1698. Children of
Cornelius B. Sciioonmaker: Catryntjen, bap-
tized October 12, 1712; Petronclla, June 3,
1716: Cornelius, June 25. 1721 ; Elizabeth,
May 7, 1727.

( I\ ) Cornelius, only son of Cornelius Bar-
entsen and Engeltje ( Roosa ) Schoonmaker,
settled on a large tract of land on the north
line of the town of Shawangunk, which he
purchased from the James Henderson Patent.
and which lay south of and adjoining the
Zachariah Hottman Patent. He died there
January 21, 1778, leaving three sons and a
daughter. As he died intestate the law at that
time provided that his eldest son receive the
estate. Deeds on record show that the latter
was magnanimous with his brothers and made
a division of the real estate with them, in con-
sideration that they maintain their mother dur-
ing her life and pay a certain sum to their
sister Maria. This division of the real estate
was made bj' a commission consisting of Jo-
hannes Bruyii and James Kain. He married.
May 22. 1746. Arriantie flornbeck, a native
of Rochester township. Children : Cornelius
C, mentioned below ; Abraham, mentioned be-
low, with descendants ; Isaac and Maria, bap-
tized December 31. 1749, at Kingston.

(Y) Cornelius C, eldest son of Cornelius
and Arriantie (Hornbeck) Schoonmaker. was
born in Shawangunk. and received the estate
of his father as above noted. He was an
intelligent and prosperous farmer and was
also a surveyor. He was a member of the
first assembly gathered under the state con-
stitution, which met at Kingston in 1777 and
continued in that service during eleven ses-
sions, including the year 1790. He w-as a
member of the committee of safety during
the revolution. In the latter year he was
elected a member of the second United States
congress, and in 1795 was again a member of
the state legislature. The convention of 1778.
which adopted the constitution for the state,
counted him amone its members. He mar-
ried CfirsP) Sarah Hoffman, probably a daugh-
ter nf Zachariah Hoffman, proprietor of the
HnfTman Patent. He married ("second") at
Kingston. July 4. 1759, Arriantie Terwilliger.
Thev had a son, Jacob, baptized July T2, 1761,
at Kingston.

(VJ) Zachariah, youngest child of Cornel-
ius C. and Arriantje f Terwilliger) Schoon-
maker, was born about 1782 in Shawangunk.



He became a prominent citizen of Kingston,
New York. He graduated from Union Col-
lege, read law, was admitted to the bar, and
practiced his profession in Kingston, New
York, until his death in 18 18. He married.
November 29, 1808, at Kingston, Cornelia
Marius. daughter of Peter Marius Groen, who
was a great-grandson of Jacob Marius Groen,
who went from Holland to England in 1670
and there married Letitia, daughter of Ad-
miral, the Earl of Salisbury. He returned to
Holland and between 1725 and 1735 came to
America. Peter M. Groen married Catharina
Louw. and their daughter, Cornelia Marius.
was baptized at Kingston, April 20, 1783. No
record of her children appears at Kingston
I3utch church.

(X'H) Marius, son of Zachariah and Cor-
nelia Marius (Groen) Schoonmaker, was born
April 24. 181 1, in Kingston, where he died
January 5, 1894. He prepared for college at
Kingston Academy and graduated at Yale in
1830. After pursuing a course of law studies
with Ruggles & Hasbrouck in Kingston, he
was admitted to the bar in 1833. .\bout this
time Mr. Ruggles was elected a judge, and
Mr. Schoonmaker became a partner of Has-
brouck in the law practice and this arrange-
ment continued until 1840. when Mr. Has-
brouck became president of Rutgers College



Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 52 of 95)