Cuyler Reynolds.

Genealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 55 of 95)
Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 55 of 95)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

National Bank of Newburg. In religion he
was a member of the Reformed Dutch church.
He married Charlotte Pierson, daughter of
Samuel Williams, of Newburg. Children: i.
George W., married Emily \'. Burrill, daugh-
ter of John E. Burrill ; no children ; they
live in New York. 2. Mary \\"illianis, men-
tioned below.

(Ill) Mary Williams, daughter of Robert
Alexander and Charlotte Pierson (Williams)
Forsyth, was born in Newburg, New York.
She married Edward Allen W'ickes, and they
have two children : May Forsyth W'ickes ;
and John Forsyth W'ickes, who married
Marion Arnett Haven, daughter of George
Griswold Haven, of New York, and they have
three children.

This family was one of the first
SAHTH to settle in Orange county. New
York, locating there as early as
1727. Smith Cove, near the village of High-
land Falls, was named for the family, and
mention is made of that settlement in the
records of Cornwall in 1765.

(11 Clark Smith, the progenitor of this
branch of the family, was for many years a
prosperous farmer in the county. He made
his home near Mineral Springs, then in the
town of Monroe, which in 1889 became the
town of Woodbury. He owned a fine farm

of three hundred acres and was one of the
most prosperous farmers in the community.
He married Hannah Davenport. Nine chil-
dren were born of this marriage: Thomas,
Clark, Isaac, Oliver, Samuel R., Elijah, Ste-
phen, Asahel, mentioned below ; Hannah, mar-
ried Joseph Barton, of Cornwall, and had five

(II) Asahel, son of Clark and Hannah
(Davenport) Smith, was born on his father's
farm in Woodbury, March 22, 1794. He was
educated in the common schools of his coun-
ty, and at an early age went to Southold, and
there rented a farm which he managed for
several years. He later settled in Turner, New
York, and there purchased a farm of one
hundred and forty-four acres, the place being
known in later years as the Barr farm. He died
in Turner in 1867. He was a Whig in politics,
and held a number of town offices. He mar-
ried, January 10, 1816, Elizabeth Turner, born
May 4, 1778. and died in 1857 or 1858. Five
children: Gilbert, born October 1, 1816;
Charles, June 25, 1819; John, July 16, 1822;
Hannah, December 7, 1827, married King
Rider ; Stephen, mentioned below.

(III) Stephen, son of Asahel and Elizabeth
(Turner) Smith, was born on the old farm
homestead at Turner, now Harriman, New
York, June 28, 1S29. He attended the public
schools of his native county and worked on
his father's farm for several years. Soon
after his marriage in 1853 he located on the
farm owned by his wife's father, which he
purchased, and here he has made his home to
date. The farm covered four hundred acres
and was one of the richest in the county. In
1908 he sold three hundred and five acres of
the farm to the Erie and New Jersey rail-
roads. Mr. Smtih has met with marked suc-
cess in liis business and is one of the most
progressive farmers in the county. He is con-
nected with a number of business enterprises.
He is a director of the Columbus Trust Com-
panv of Newburg, New York, the Highland
Mills Telephone Company, and the Highland
Mills Cemetery Association. In politics he is
a Republican. He served for a number of
years as road commissioner. In relieion he is
a member of the Hishland Mills Methodist
Episcopal Church. He married, in T85.S,
Mary, daugrhter of Elijah and Susan (Barton)
Cocks, of Monroe. One child: Emma, born
in 1858, still living; married Charles Hand,


who died in 190S; children: S. Herbert;
AHce, married John Thurston Jr.; Susie
Cocks, now a teacher in the pubHc schools of
Hempstead, Long Island. Mrs. Smith is a
granddaughter of Jacob Cocks, son of Town-
send Cocks, a pioneer settler of the town of

Henry Traphagen. the
TRAPHAGEN first member of this fam-
ily of whom we have any
definite information, was born June 3, 1764.
died September 25, 18 18. He married Eliza-
beth , born March 16, 1775, died October

16, 1826. Children: i. Henry, born Septem-
ber 29, 1796. 2. John H., born May 5, 1801 ;
was twice married, his second wife being
Catherine David, by whom he had one daugh-
ter, Harriet A., who married John L. Sloat,
and died April 10, 1910; both were prominent
workers in Trinity Church. He was in the
lumber business in Newburg. 3. William,
born October 25, 1803. 4. William A., born
October 25, 1805. 5. Uriah, born February
II, 1808. 6. Mary Ann, born September 14,
1810. 7. Peter H., referred to below. 8.
Catherine G., born April 25, 1818.

(H) Peter H., son of Henry and Elizabeth
Traphagen, was born on his father's farm
near Hurley. Ulster county. New York. March
19, 1814, died in Newburg, New York, in
1883. He received his early education in the
public schools and helped his father on the
farm until he was twelve years of age, when
he removed to Newburg, New York, and was
apprenticed to learn the cabinetmaker's trade.
He continued in this occupation for some
years until ill-health caused him to dispose of
his business and he then engaged in carting
and trucking in which work he remained for
forty years until his death. He was a Metho-
dist in religion, and was class-reader and for
several vcars also one of the trustees of
Trinity Church in Newburg. He was a mem-
ber of the old Newburg volunteer fire depart-
ment from 1830 until 1849. He was a member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
He married Margaret Jane Stewart. Chil-
dren: I. Marv E.. died 1882, married Wil-
liam Wynn ; child. Frank E. 2. Peter W.,
born 1843; married (first) Jennie St. John.

married (second^) Marion : he is now an

attorney in Jacksonville, Florida. 3 Uriah,
referred to below.

(Ill) Uriah, son of Peter H. and Margaret
Jane (Stewart) Traphagen, was born in New-
burg, New York, Alay 25, 1847, where he is
now living. He received his early education
in the public schools, and then learned the
trade of a machinist but did not like the work
and removed to Brooklyn, New York, and
was employed in the Hour and feed business
for a siiort time. He returned to Newburg
and entered the grocery business and finally
established himself in the trucking business, in
which he continued for thirty-five years until
his retirement in 1904, in which year he built
the "Traphagen" storage warehouse in New-
burg. in the management of which he is still
occupied. He is a Republican in politics. He
is a member of the American Reformed
church and is an elder in the church in New-
burg, and for a number of years was the
superintendent of the old Gleason Mission
.Sunday-school. He married (first) in 1870.
Martha M. VanKuren, died in 1889; (second)
in 1901, Mary Tremper. Children, all by first
marriage: i. Louis B.. born 1875; educated
in the public schools and entered the office of
the Newburg Ice Machine and Engine Com-
pany, remaining for six years, then entered
the office department of Ball & Company, in
Erie, Pennsvlvania : is now (1913) holdirig an
important position in the draughting depart-
ment of the Westinghousc Machine Company,
in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2. Margaret
Jane, born 1879; unmarried. 3. Clarence, born
1881. unmarried.

The surname, Tasman, is old
T.\.SM.\N Dutch in origin, from Hoorn,
Holland, being a compound de-
rived from the two words "tas", meaning a
purse or pouch, and "man". The great navi-
gator of the Southern Ocean, so called, gave
his name to Tasmania. The name is not very
prevalent in the British Isles, though the fam-
ilv bearing it. and dealt with in this case,
cmiirratcd from England.

(I) Thomas Tasman, the immigrant ances-
tor of the Tasman family in .\merica here
dealt with, himself the son of Thomas Tas-
man, was born in London. England, in the
vear 1808, died in 1887. He was for a num-
ber of years in the undertaking business, and
later was a trunk manufacturer in Perrv Lane.
London, Enirland. His home was called the
W'almer House, and he was living in that



house at the time he decided to emigrate to
America. He settled in course of time in the
vicinity of Nyack, Rockland county, New-
York, and was superintendent of Oak Hill
cemetery and undertaker in Nyack and its
vicinity from about the year 1848 until the
time of his death. He was succeeded by his
son, Thomas Frederick Tasman, in the same
business, the son acting as an assistant from
the year 1872. Thomas Tasman married
(first) Sarah Bathy, born in London, England.
He married (second) Jane Myers, born at
Nyack, Rockland county, New York. Chil-
dren by first marriage: i. Sarah Elizabeth,
born in 1831, married James Lyon. 2. Ma-
tilda Martha Suasnna, born in 1833, married
John \y. Felter. 3. Thomas Frederick, men-
tioned below. Children by second marriage :
4. Maria, married John Fredericks. 5. Rachel
Ann. married James N. Dines.

(11) Thomas Frederick, son of Thomas and
Sarah (Bathy) Tasman, was born in Port
Richmond, Staten Island, New York, July i,
1838. He attended the public schools in Ny-
ack and Blauveltville. beginning at the age of
five years, and continuing his sttidies there
until he was thirteen years of age. He was
then apprenticed to the firm of George and
John Colsey, cabinet makers, in New York
City, for a term of eight years, and at the
expiration of his term he became a master
mechanic. He then returned to Nyack and
learned the trade of boat building and car-
pentrv and then became connected with the
firm of A. and H. Storms & Company, manu-
facturers of cedar ware in Nyack. He then
engaged with a partner in the confectionery
and ice crejim business in Nyack, and con-
tinued until 1 87 1, when he dissolved the part-
nership and joined his father in the tmdertak-
ing business, which had been established in
1857 in Nyack. He succeeded his father as
superintendent of Oak Hill ccmeterv in 1872.
He is an Independent in politics. He was a
member of the board of education of the vil-
lage of Nyack for nine years. He is a mem-
ber of Rockland Lodge. No. 723. Free and
Accented IVTasons : Oneko Lodg-e. No. 122. and
Rockland Encamnment, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows of Nvack. He is also a charter
member of the Emnire Hook and Ladder
"Company, No. i. Upper Nyack. which he
Joined on Februarv 22. 1863. and is still an
active member. He has also been superinten-

dent of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday
school for many years.

He was married (first) November 26, 1861,
in Nyack, Rockland county. New York, by the
Rev. Dr. Day, Mary Perry, born in Nyack,
April 24, 1835, died November 3, 1905. He
married (second) June 10, 1910, Mary E.
Sturtevant, born in 1856. The children, all
by first marriage, are: i. Robert Hart, born
July 12, 1864, married Mae Leonard, March
5, 1889; there has been one son of this mar-
riage, Harold Frederick, born in 189 1. 2.
Emily Valeria, born March 13, 1869, married
George Edwin Gregory. 3. Harry Perry, men-
tioned below. John Gilchrist Perry, father of
Mrs. Mary (Perry) Tasman, was born March
24, 1799, died June 24, 1893, in his ninety-
fourth year. He married Ann Gesner, born
December 6, 1818, died April 17, 1854. The
children were: i. Amanda (twin), married,
July 19, 1851, Hageman Onderdonk. 2. Em-
ily (twin), married Aaron Sares (or Sayres),
July 25. 1850. 3. Henry, married, January 9,
1859, Olive Acher. 4. Margaret, married, Oc-
tober 18, 1852, George Smith. 5. Juliet, re-
mained unmarried. 6. Mary, mentioned
above, who married Thomas Frederick Tas-
man. 7. Rachel Ann, married Robert ILirt,
April 18, i860. 8. Hannah Elizabeth, married
Thomas V. W. Warner, November 22, 1865.
9. Elmira, married James A. Christie. Sep-
tember 27, 1866. 10. David Coddington, mar-
ried Florence Carbront, May 6, 1878. 11.
John, married Anna Demarest, May 16. 1878.

(Ill) Harry Perry, second son of Thomas
Frederick and Mary (Perry) Tasman. was
born at Nyack, Rockland county. New York,
November 5, 1873. He attended the Nyack
public schools from the time he was six years
old until he arrived at the age of eiehteen
years. Then he graduated from the Nyack
hisrh school with his class. He then entered
the service of the United States Indian De-
partment, and remained in the department for
four vears as a clerk, at the end of which time
he resigned and went to Summit. New Jersey.
There he engaged in the musical instrument
and sporting goods business, remaining in this
business one year, when he disposed of the
bti=inpss and returned to Nyack There he
ioined his father in the undertaking and em-
balmine business, continuing until 1895. He
then entered the Champion Collesre of Em-
balmine and took the full coiirse. crradiintins:



September i8, 1896, when he received his
diploma. He then rejoined his father in busi-
ness, remaining with him until 1909, when
the firm of Thomas Frederick Tasman & Son
was formed. He became a full partner in the
business and is now the active member.
Through his untiring eftorts and ambition the
firm is doing a good business and stands high
in the estimation of the town. He is a Re-
publican in politics, but has never held any of-
fice. He is a member of St. Paul's Methodist
Episcopal Church. He is a member of Rockland
Lodge, No. 723, Free and Accepted Masons,
Nyack; Rockland Chapter, No. 204, Royal
Arch Masons, Nyack; Grant Lodge, No. 385,
Knights of Pythias, Nyack. He is an exempt
member of the Mazeppa Engineer Company,
No. 2, of Nyack. He is a director of the
Nyack Building, Co-operative, Savings & Loan
Association of Nyack, and also a charter mem-
ber of the Young Men's Christian Association,
Nyack Branch.

He was married, March 29, 1896, in Spring
вЦ†Valley, New York, by the Rev. Dr. Thomas
Stevens, Myra Louisa Giles, born August 31,
1876, in New York City. Children: Harry
Giles, born January 17, 1897; he now attends
Nyack high school and will take the full term
and graduate in 191 5. Earl Francis, born
February 7, igoo; he attends Nyack grammar
school. John Peter Giles, father of Mrs. Myra
Louisa (Giles) Tasman, was a carriage
builder. He married Auguste Pye. Their
children were : .^gnes Randolph, Sarah Fran-
ces, Catherine Mae, Myra Louisa, mentioned
above; Hjle Ann King, Andrew Albertson,
Rhuey Albertson.

Smith is what is sometimes called
SMITH an occupational surname, and as

such it is used in its various
modifications in many countries. The word
Smith is Anglo-Saxon in origin and comes
from smitan, to smite, originally "any one who
strikes or smites with a hammer, an artificer,
a carpenter, smith or workman.'' In later times
Smith was applied specifically to a worker in
metals, while wyrhta. wright, was given to
artificers in wood and other materials. Be-
sides Smith simple, we have Smithson (the
proper names of the Earls of Northumber-
land, but rejected by them in favor of Percy),
to which the Irish and Scotch Mac Gowan

( meaning son of the Smith, but generally
anglicised simply Smith) corresponds, as well
as the Smithsons and Grosmiths, who, if they
have not corrupted the spelling, are set off
against the Fabrucci or "little Smiths" of
Italian celebrity. So general was the appli-
cation of the word "smith" that in the Saxon
Chronicle we find the expression "mighty war-
smiths" applied to valorous soldiers, and the
great enemy of mankind is called "hell smith," the phrase, being also applied to Vul-
can, has probably a direct reference to smith-
ery in the modern sense. Blacksmith and
Whitesmith are also used as surnames, but
they are rare. The Brownsmith was one who-
prepared the far-famed "brown bills" once
more formidable than the "Brown Bess" of
later times. Nasmyth stands for nail-smith or
nailer. The Arrowsmiths of old prepared the
arrows, as the Spearsmiths fashioned the
spears and lances. The Shoesmiths took care
of the horses' feet. The Billsmiths made bills,
the Shearsmiths shears and the Knyfesmiths
knives. The Locksmiths made locks and keys
in the olden days as they do today. Gold-
smiths are known in every country, and the
brass and copper workers of ancient days are
now represented in the familv nomenclature
by Arsmiths and Copperwrights. "Bokell-
smyths" are mentioned in a quaint English
poem called "Cock Lorelles Bote" in conjunc-
tion with "blacksmyths and ferrars'' and henc;
doubtless the otherwise unintelligible name of
Bucksniilh. who is thus proved to be next of
kin to the Bucklers. Again the obsolete
Hvldsmith is a soldier, being a compound of
the Ancrlo-Saxon hild, war, battle. One Will-
iam Hvldsmith dwelt in Cambridgeshire,
temp., Edward I. More than two hundred
years ago Verstegan asked the question :

"From whence comes Smith all be he knight or
But frnm the smith that forgeth at the fire?"

"\'el it would appear from the addition or
the alteration of a letter that some families are
unwilling to be content with such a genealogy
for their surname. There is little doubt, how-
ever, that all the Smiths, Smitheses, Smithes,
Smythes, Smijths, etc., were originally pos-
sessors of the same occupational surname. In
France the same fastidiousness prevails on the
subject and Monsieur Lefevrc (a word now
supplanted by Forgeron) often writes himself



Lefebvre. British statistics show that in the
years 1838-54 the Smiths registered for births,
marriages and deaths a number amounting to
286, 307, or about one in seventy of the total
number of persons that were registered.

(I) Thomas Smith was born September 16,
1823, in Nova Scotia, died August 24, 1905,
aged eighty-two years. He spent part of his
youth in Nova Scotia, where he was educated.
But the larger scope offered to a career of
talent in the United States attracted him, and
he finally went to Rockland county, New York.
His business was the manufacturing of shoes,
and he built up a concern of considerable pro-
portions. In politics Mr. Smith was a Repitb-
lican. and he was affiliated with the Methodist
church. He married Hanna Penoyer (Rob-
bins) Dutcher, widow of Abraham Dutcher,
and daughter of Nathaniel and Elizabeth
Robbins. The children of Abraham and Han-
na P. (Robbins) Dutcher were: Oliver H. :
Lavina, widow of Peter Anthony, of Closter,
New Jersey. Children of Thomas and Hanna
P. (Robbins-Dutcher) Smith were : Charlotte;
Henry Edwin, mentioned below ; Evelina ;
Washington Irving; Mary Elizabeth.

(II) Henry Edwin, eldest son of Thomas
and Hanna Penoyer (Robbins-Dutcher)
Smith, was born at Clarkstown, Rockland
county. New York, March 26, 1846. He was
educated in the public schools, and started in
his business career by engaging in the express,
transportation and undertaking business. After
he had spent some years in these lines of busi-
ness he was appointed keeper in Sing Sing
prison, when he was about twenty years old
and served in that capacity for about four
years. Some time after he left that position
he was appointed clerk of the capitol commis-
sion at Albany and served in that position for
four years, the period of his engagement be-
ing from 1872 to 1876. He then looked out
for a complete change of environment and
secured a farm in Ember, Wyoming, where
he spent two years in ranching, ^^'hen he left
Wyoming he returned to Nyack. In IQ08 he
was elected village clerk of the Nyack munic-
ipalitv and still holds that position, Mr.
Smith has also seen military service. He en-
listed December 30, 1863, in Company B, One
Hundred and Twenty-seventh New York Vol-
unteers. He served one year and was then
transferred to Camp A, Fifty-fourth Veteran
\'olunteers of New Jersey. He served under

General Sherman in his "march to the sea," the
capture of Charleston and until the close of
the war. After the closing of hostilities he was
appomted captain of Company B, Sixteenth
Battalion of the National Guard of the State
of New York. Mr. Smith is past mas-
ter of Rockland Lodge, No. 723, Free and
Accepted Masons; past commander of Wal-
dron Post, No. 82, Grand Army of tiie Re-
public, and secretary of the Star Publishing
Company of Nyack. Mr. Smith is a Repub-
lican in politics. He was elected supervisor
and town collector for three terms in the town
of Orangetown, also appointed clerk of the
board of water commission and clerk of the
board of sewer commission, serving full terms.
He and his family belong to the Methodist

Pie married. May 8, 1841, at Clarkstown,
Rockland county. New York, Theresa Louisa,
daughter of George F. and Emeline (Strong)
Burdick. Mr. Burdick, the father of Mrs.
Theresa Louisa (Burdick) Smith, was a man-
ufacturer of shoes. His other children were:
Frank W., Anna M., Daniel Strong, Lawton
M., George, Frances, Minnie.

Many of the large and important
ESSEX industries of the Hudson valley
and of New York state have
been founded and carried to successful oper-
ation by men of English birth and mechanical
training. As a nation the English are thor-
ough in their methods and in the mechanical
arts have long led the v^'orld. The name of
Essex in the United States is intimately con-
nected with the early manufacture of needles ;
the founder of this branch of the family being
also the founder of that great industry.

(I) Henry Essex was born in England,
where he was educated and learned the trade
of machinist ; he also became a skilled worker
in metal ; after coming to the United States
he worked in various places, finally settling
not far from New York City, where he en-
gaged in manufacturing. He became inter-
ested in the manufacture of sewing needles
and was the first in the United States to manu-
facture that useful household necessity. T-ater
in life he became proprietor of the "Delinore
House" at Piermont, New York, which he
operated from 1886 until 1889, when he re-
tired. He was a Republican in politics, and a



member of the Protestant Episcopal church.
He married Harriet Lane. Children: Will-
iam, Mary, Frank, Clara, Ella, George D.

(H) William, son of Henry Essex, was
born in Piermont, Rockland county, New
York, September 8, 1853, died March 27, 1907.
He was educated in the public school, and
early entered the employ of the Erie Rail-
road Company at Nyack, New York, as a tele-
graph operator, later becoming station agent,
a position he held continuously until his death.
He was a faithful and trusted employee, and
held in high esteem by his superior officers
and by his to\vns])eople. He was a Republican
in politics and a devoted member of the Meth-
odist Episcopal ciiurch. He married. Novem-
ber, 1879. Elizabeth Looser, born in Piermont,
New York, November 4, 1861, daughter of
Louis Looser. Children : Harry Theodore,
of whom further ; Aimic Regina, born May
22, 1882; William Leo, February 8, 1886, now
a minister of the Protestant Episcopal church.

(HI) PLirry Theodore, eldest son of Will-
iam Essex, was born in Piermont, New York,
September 4, 1880. He was educated in the
public schools of Nyack, New York, and in
1897 began business life. He formed a con-
nection with the New York Life Insurance
Society in that year, continuing until 1901. In
the latter year he engaged in the real estate
and insurance business in Nyack. and at the
present date (1913) is still successfully oper-
ating along the same. He is a man of sterling
business qualities and holds the confidence of
his fellows. He is a Republican in politics,
and is now serving his second term as town
clerk of the town of Orangetown, New York,
being first elected in 1907, re-elected in 1909,
and again in 191 1. He takes' active interest
in town affairs ; is a member of the Mazeppa
Engine Company, No. 2, of Nyack. and of
the following fraternal orders : Rockland
T-odge. No. 732, Free and Accepted Masons ;
Crant Lodge, No. 385, Knights of Pythias :
Onko Lodge, No. 122. Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, and Court Ta])anze Council. No.
225. Order of Foresters In relieious faith
he is an Episcopalian. Pie married. Septem-
ber 19, 1006. at .St. Paul's Chanel, New York
City. Helen Elmira, born in Brooklyn. New
York. Aueust 22. 1883. eldest daughter of
Tohn Ralph and Elizabeth Ann (Von Heer")
Young. Her father, a contractor of Brook-
lyn, had other children : Elizabeth and Ralph.

No biographical work on
STUYVESANT the historic families of
America is comjjlete
without a full account of this famous family,
whose progenitor was Petrus Stuyvesant, the
last governor of New Netherlands under the
Dutch regime. The family was of ancient
origin in Holland. The name is derived from
the word, "stuiven," to stir or raise dust, and
the word "sand."' Rev. Balthazar Stuyvesant,
or Stuyfsant, as the name was sometimes

Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 55 of 95)