Cuyler Reynolds.

Genealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 82 of 95)
Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 82 of 95)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Cathriena, born May 14. 1743; Elizabeth,
March 26. 1745; Maria, November 10, 1747;
Anatje, July 22, 1752; Margrietje, August 27,
1754: Johannes, May 13, 1758; Vrouwtye,
luiv 13, 1762.

(V) Joseph, eldest child of Johannes (2)
and Grietje (Smidt) Blauvelt, was born Sep-
tember 17, 1740. baptized at Tappan, and died
March 15. 1789, in the town of Ramapo. New



432



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



York. He married Hannah Demorest, born
August 4, 1749, baptized on the 13th of the
same month, in Schraalenburg, daughter of
Nicholas and Elsie (Demorest) Demorest.
Children : John, mentioned below ; Nicholas,
born June 4, 1772; Cornelius, mentioned be-
low: Daniel. December 16, 1782.

(VI) John, eldest child of Joseph and Han-
nah (Demorest) Blauvelt. was born May 8,
1770. He resided in the town of Ramapo.
He married Catrina Talama and had several
children baptized at Clarkstown, including
Maria, born February 24, 1792; Jacob, June
10, 1794; John, May 23, 1796; Margrietje,
December 8, 1798. Following this they re-
moved to the town of Ramapo, but none of
their children are recorded at the brick church
in that town. The family records show that
they had also daughters, Maria and Caroline,
and son, .Alexander.

(VH) Alexander, son of John and Catrina
(Talama) Blauvelt, was born in January,
1807, at Spring Valley, baptized October 4,
of the same year, at Kakiat church. By oc-
cupation he was a merchant tailor, residing
at Nyack, where he died February 9, 1894,
at the age of eighty-seven years. He was
long an active member of the Dutch Reformed
church at Nyack, in which he served as dea-
con and elder, and politically was a Democrat.
He married, January 12, 1833, Catherine Van
Antwerp, who died .September 23, 1889. Chil-
dren : Lawrence Salisbury, Wilmar Ostram,
William Ellis, married Frances Outwater at
Tappan ; Edwin.

(\Tn) Edwin, youngest son of Alexander
and Catherine (Van Antwerp") Blauvelt, was
born August 12, 1841, in Nyack. New York.
He received his education in the public schools
of his native place. At the age of twenty-one
years he engaged in the livery business at
Nyack, and has continued successfully in that
line to the present time. He is a member of
the Dutch Reformed church, and adheres to
the Democratic party in political action. He
married. Novemljer 15, 1864, at Grand View,
Rockland county. New York, Sarah Eleanor
Blauvelt, born June 14, 1846, at Tappan,
daughter of John Nicholas and Elizabeth
(Haring) Blauvelt (see below). Children:
I. Sarah Elizabeth, born March 15, 1866;
married (first) June 18, 1884. Andrew
Conklin; children: Gordon and Walter; Gor-



don married Emma Peterson and has three
sons : George Walter. Edwin Merrill and
Howard; she married (second) December 17,
1898, David J. Peterson; resides in Pomoa,
New York. 2. Minnie A., born May 12, 1868;
married, June 27, 1888, Cornelius B. Smith ;
daughter, Gladys May : resides at Sparkill,
New York. 3. Caroline, born August 24,
1874; married, November 10, 1898, James F.
Cummings ; two sons : James B. and George
Talbot : resides in Brooklyn, New York. 4.
Laura May, born November 19, 1876. 5. Ed-
win Alexander, April 23, 1879. 6. Catherine
Ann, August 11, 1883. 7. Van Antwerp, De-
cember 29, 1886.

(VI) Cornelius, third son of Joseph and
Hannah (Demorest) Blauvelt, was born June
12, 1775, in Ramapo, baptized thirteen days
later at Clarkstown, and died June 12, 1858,
probably in Ramapo. He married, at the
Kakiat church, November 4, 1796, Bridget
Talman. Children : Joseph C, mentioned be-
low ; John, born August 21, 1801 ; Cornelius,
August 20, 1808: Abraham C. J., December
18, 181 1 ; Tunis: Nicholas C.

(VH) Joseph Cornelius, eldest child of Cor-
nelius and Bridget (Talman) Blauvelt, was
born November 8, 1798, in Ramapo, died
June 5. 1883, in that town. He married. May
12, 1821, Rebecca Remsen, born June 20,
1803, in Ramapo, died there, April 21, 1885.
Children: Mary, born March 5, 1822, married
John De Baun, and died July 6, 1845 : Isaac
Remsen and Margaret, twins, April 2, 1825;
Aaron Du Bois, June 21, 1832; John Calvin,
October 29, 1835; Cornelius Edward, January
4, 1838.

(VIII) Margaret, second daughter of Jo-
seph Cornelius and Rebecca (Remsen) Blau-
velt, twin of Isaac Remsen, became the wife
of Sylvester Westervelt, of Ramapo (see
Westervelt VII).

(IV) Cornelius, second son of Isaac and
Elizabeth ( Meyers) Blauvelt, was born March
I, 1727, and baptized April 13, of the same
year, at Tappan. He probably lived in what
is now the town of Harrington, Bergen
county. New Jersey, but very little concern-
ing him is of record. He married, August 9,
1752, at Tappan, Margarie, born at Newtown,
Long Island, daughter of John and Geertie
(\\'iltsee) Ryker, of Newtown, and later of
Closter, New Jersey. John Ryken or Ryker



SOUTHERX NEW YORK



433



was an early settler at Closter, where he was
a large farmer, and it is probable that Cor-
nelius Blauvelt lived near him. Only one bap-
tism in his family can be found in the rec-
ords of New York, Hackensack, Schraalen-
burg or Tappan. Happily this baptism suf-
fices to continue this line of descent.

(V) Isaac Cornelise, son of Cornelius and
Margarie (Ryker) Blauvelt, was born August
9, 1755, and baptized August 17, at Tappan.
He died before November iS, 1802, when his
widow married Johanis Van Houten. He
married Lena Cornelisse, who was probably
the daughter of Cornelius Cooper and Dirckje
Smidt, born 1730. Their children, baptized
at Tappan, were : Cornelius. December 7,
1777: Nicholas, mentioned below; Margrietje,
March 9, 1789; Catrina, November 23, 1791.

(VI) Nicholas, second son of Isaac Cor-
nelise and Lena (Cornelisse) Blauvelt, was
born June 13, 1782, and baptized at Tappan,
July 7, following. He resided at Blauveltville,
north of Tappan, where his father had lived
before him for some time, and later settled
at Spring Valley, in Rockland county. He
was a farmer, a member of the Dutch Re-
formed church, and politically a Democrat.
He married Hester Graham and they had
children : Cornelius, Isaac, John Nicholas,
mentioned below ; Daniel, Catherine. Eleanor.
Sarah.

(VII) John Nicholas, third son of Nicholas
and Hester (Graham) Blauvelt, married Eliz-
abeth Haring, and they were the parents of
Sarah Eleanor Blauvelt, wife of Edwin Blau-
velt (see Blauvelt VIII).



This name has been traced to a
DODGE remote period in England, and

has been very widely distributed
over the United States, beginning with the
earliest settlement of the New England col-
onies. It has been distinguished in law and
letters, in divinity, in war, in politics and in
every leading activity of the human family,
and is still identified with the progress of
events in New England and other states. It
has turned out from Harvard nineteen grad-
uates, from Yale a dozen, from Dartmouth
ten, from Columbia College eight. Union Col-
lege six, Andover Theological Seminary five.
Bowdoin College five, University of Wiscon-
sin five, Brown University three, Colby Uni-



versity three, Williams College two and Mid-
dlebury College one. The records of the
Colleges of Heraldry in England show that
a coat-of-arms was granted to Peter Dodge,
of Stockworth, county of Chester, in 1306,
and later a patent to John Dodge, of Rotham,
in the county of Kent, in 1546. It is declared
that he was descended from Peter Dodge, of
Stockworth. The name is found frequently
in various sections of England, and in the
sixteenth and seventeenth centuries there were
Dodges of honorable character and connection
in the counties of Cheshire, Kent, Norfolk
and Downs. On the nth of May, 1629,
there sailed from the harbor of Yarmouth,
England, the "Talbot," a vessel of three hun-
dred tons, and the "Lion's Whelp," a neat
and nimble ship of one hundred and twenty
tons, and they arrived at Salem. Massachu-
setts, on the 29th of the June following. This
marks the arrival of the first of the tame of
Dodge in America.

(I) John Dodge and his wife, Marjorie,
resided in Somersetshire, England, where the
following children were born to them, namely:
William, Richard, Michael, Mary. An ex-
amination of the parish registry of East
Coker, Somersetshire. England, discloses the
records of the births of these children. It is
also learned that Richard Dodge was in 1633
a duly admitted tenant by entry hold of land
in Helyar Manor in East Coker, that this
manor came into the possession of its then
owner about 1616, and that Richard came
there from St. Badcaux, Devonshire, about
four miles from Plymouth, in that year.

(II) Richard, son of John and Marjorie
Dodge, ancestor of a very large progeny scat-
tered throughout the United States, appeared
at Salem, Massachusetts, as early as 1638,
and "desired accommodations." It is shown
by the records of East Coker, in England,
that he resided and came from there. As
immigrants were admitted to the colonies only
by applying to the town and obtaining leave,
it is probable that Richard and his family
came in if>38, and it is also probable that he
left Englancl without royal permission. After
living for a while on the land of his brother
William, he settled on "Dodge Row" in North
Beverly, not far from Wenham Lake. The
house which Richard Dodge built was near
the present north line of Beverly. He evi-



434



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



dently gave his attention chiefly to farming.
He was a loyal church member and one of
the most liberal contributors to the support
of the gospel. He and his wife were mem-
bers of the VVenhani church before 1648, un-
der the pastorate of John Fiske. He was also
interested in the progress of education, and
his name appears first in a list of twenty-one
subscribers to Harvard College in 1653, while
the next largest sum was one-fourth as much
as his. The cemetery of "Dodge Row" is on
land which he dedicated for that purpose, and
this grant was subsequently conferred by his
grandson. He died June 15, 1671, leaving an
estate valued at one thousand seven hundred
and sixty-four pounds and two shillings, a
very considerable property for that time. He
gave to each of his three sons a good farm
valued at over one hundred pounds. He
made liberal provision for annual payments
by the sons to the support of their mother.
His wife's name was Edith and she survived
him seven years, dying June 27, 1678, at the
age of seventy-five years. The inventory of
her estate indicates that she was possessed of
considerable properly. Their children were:
John, Mary, Sarah, Richard, Samuel, Edward,
Joseph.

(HI) Richard (2), second son of Richard
( I ) and Edith Dodge, was born in Beverly,
Massachusetts, in 1643, died in Wenham,
April 13, 1705. He was a farmer and lived
in the south part of Wenham. He also owned
a large farm in Ipswich, which he gave to
his eldest son Richard, and had land near
Chebacco Lake in Ipswich. He owned a cider
mill and press, and from the careful provision
for its use, which he made in deeds to his
sons, it would seem that they all lived in the
same vicinity. About two years before his
death he divided his property among his chil-
dren, giving his "negro man" Mingo to the
eldest son. On the 31st of May, 1705, Rich-
ard, Daniel, William and Mary joined in a
deed of four and one-half acres of marsh
land in "Chebacco," Ipswich, to John and
Martha Davidson to carry out what they al-
leged to be the purpose of their father. He
marrietl, February 23, 1667, Mary Eaton, born
1 64 1, died November 28, 17 16, aged seventy-
five years. He and his wife were buried at
North Beverly, where their gravestones still



remain. Their children were : Richard, Mary,
Martha, Daniel, William.

(IV) Daniel, second son of Richard (2)
and Mary (Eaton) Dodge, was born April 26,
1677, in Wenham, Massachusetts, where he
died April 30. 1740. He graduated from
Harvard College in 1700, being the first col-
lege graduate of the name in New England,
and seems to have given some time to teaching.
Records show that he was engaged to teach
at Beverly in 1703 and again in 1706, and it
is presumed that he taught there continuously
between these dates. In 171 5 he was engaged
as schoolmaster of Reading for a period of
three years at thirty pounds per year. He
received from his father deeds of a large
amount of land, dated December i, 1703, in-
cluding the father's dwelling house, another
dwelling house in the same yard, a cider mill,
the homestead lot in Wenham, amounting al-
together to fifty acres, and more than seventy-
seven acres included in four parcels, and an
island. The gift also included the father's
common rights in Wenham and Manchester,
one-third of his marsh in Chebacco, a negro
boy, one hundred and ten trees, and other
items. The real estate records show that
Daniel bought and sold much real estate, and
he left a long will, providing for the disposal
of much pro]>erty. He was a deacon of the
Wenham Church. He married, June 20. 1706,
Joanna Hurnham, born March 18, 1689, in
Ipswich, daughter of James and Mary Burn-
ham. She married (second) June 3, 1741,
Samuel Kimball, who died January 27, 1745,
and she married (third) September 17, 1747,
Captain Henry Ilcrrick. She died after Octo-
ber 7. 17(')7. on which date she made her will.
Children of Daniel Dodge: Joanna, born July
17, 1707: Daniel, September 15, 1710; James,
baptized November i, 1713: Joshua, born De-
cember 26, 1716; Mary, August 25, 1719;
David, mentioned below.

(V) Da\id. youngest child of Daniel and
Joanna (Burnham) Dodge, was born March
7, 1723, in Wenham, Massachusetts. He re-
sided for some years in Ipswich hamlet. About
1750 he sold considerable real estate in and
about W'enham, and settled soon after at
Lebanon, Connecticut. Through his generous
nature and lack of attention to business de-
tails, he suffered great losses in property. He
received a commission as a soldier in the old



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



435



French war, and was drowned about 1756
while going over Otsego Falls in New York,
in a bateau, en route to Canada. The whole
party perished by the capsizal of the boat.
Letters of administration upon his estate were
granted November 11, 1756, and it was re-
ported as insolvent December 15, following.
The inventory was made January 17, 1757.
He married, December 5, 1741, Anna Low,
born December 22, 1719, died April 3, 1782,
at Amherst, New Hampshire. A guardian
was appointed for her two children, and she
went to Pomfret, Connecticut, where she kept
a school fifteen years, boarding in the family
of General Putnam. Her last years were spent
with her son in Amherst. Children : David,
mentioned below; Samuel, born August 18.

1744-

(VI) David (2), senior son of David (i)
and Anna (Low) Dodge, was born October
10, 1742, in Wenham, Massachusetts, and
reared in Connecticut. He learned the wheel-
wright's trade, and for some time resided in
Brooklyn, Connecticut, later settling on a farm
in the adjoining town of Hampton, where he
lived, respected and much esteemed, and died
August 24, 1807. He married Mary (Stuart)
Earl, a widow, born June 29, 1735, and sur-
vived her husband nearly nine years, dying
April 4, 1816. on the farm in Hampton.
Children: Mary, born May 10, 1770; David
Low, mentioned below.

(VH) David Low, only son of David (2)
and Mary (Stuart-Earl) Dodge, was born
June 14, 1774, in Brooklyn, Connecticut, died
April 23, 1852, in New York City. In early
life he was a teacher at Norwich, Connecticut,
and in 1802 engaged in the dry goods busi-
ness in Hartford, same state. In 1807 he re-
moved to New York, and some years later
lived for a time in Norwich, returning again
to New York in 1825. He became an eminent
merchant in the metropolis, noted for his
contributions to religious and benevolent
work. He was one of the founders of the
New York Peace Society and its first presi-
dent, and a founder of the New York Bible
and New York Tract Societies. He was the
publisher of several works on religious sub-
jects, and in 1832 served as United States ap-
praiser at New York. He married. June 7,
1798, Sarah, daughter of Rev. Aaron Cleve-
land, born June 11, 1780. Her brother was



the grandfather of the late President Cleve-
land. Children : Julia Stuart, born March 28,
1799, in Norwich; Sarah Cleveland, March
10, 1801 ; David Stuart, July 14, 1803, in
Hartford; William Earl, mentioned below;
Mary Abiah, September i, 1808; Elizabeth
Clementina, December 18, 1810; Susan Pratt,
July 3, 1813, in Norwich.

(VIII) William Earl, junior son of David
Low and Sarah (Cleveland) Dodge, was born
September 4, 1805, in Hartford, Connecticut,
died February 9, 1883, in New York City. He
attended school in New York, Norwich and
Mendham, New Jersey, and was distinguished
as a boy for his unselfish and kindly nature.
An earnest reader, he was brought up under
strong religious influences, and in his seven-
teenth year, in May, 1822, united with the
Congregational church of Bozrah, Connecticut.
He became clerk in a store connected with a
mill at that place, of which his father was
superintendent, and when eighteen years of
age was accustomed to purchase the entire
stock of the store in New York. In 1825 he
accompanied his father to New York and be-
came the latter's assistant in a dry goods store
on Beekman Street. In 1827 with a man
named Huntington, he established a wholesale
dry goods business on Pearl Street, which was
a success. In 1833 he joined the fimi of
Phelps & Peck, which then became Phelps,
Dodge & Company, importers of metals, whose
establishment was maintained on CliflF Street,
New York, for more than fifty years. Mr.
Dodge became early interested in timber lands
and the manufacture of lumber in Pennsylva-
nia, Michigan. Georgia and other states, and
his firm, which was extensively engaged in
the importation and manufacture of copper,
became largely interested in the Lake Superior
mines of that metal. Mr. Dodge was one of
the founders of the Lackawanna Iron & Coal
Companv, of Scranton, Pennsylvania, and for
many years gave much of his attention to the
management of the Oxford furnace in New
Jersey, where car-wheels and later nails were
manufactured. He was also interested in iron
and steel works in Illinois and Virginia. The
firm of Phelps. Dodge & Com()any passed
through severe periods of financial panic with-
out a stain upon its record. In 1855 Mr.
Dodge became a member of the New York
Chamber of Commerce, was made its first



436



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



vice-president in 1863, became president in
1867, and continued in that position until 1875.
He served on many important committees
during the civil war, was active in forming
the International Relief Committee for re-
lieving distress in England caused by the civil
war, and was among the foremost in promot-
ing relief for French sufferers after the war
of 1871. He was one of the first directors
of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of
New York, a trustee of the Atlantic Life In-
surance Company, a director of the New York
Bowery Insurance Company, of the United
States Trust Company, and the United States
Telephone Company, which later became a
part of the Western Union system. He was
one of the original subscribers to secure the
construction of the Atlantic cable. For ten
years, following 1853, he was in charge of
the large estate of Anson G. Phelps, which
was managed with credit to himself and ben-
efit to the heirs. Interested in the welfare of
his employees, he was for many years an of-
ficer of the Mercantile Labor Association, was
a Hfe member of the New York Historical
Society from 1857, and aided the Metropolitan
Museum of Art and the American Museum
of Natural History, to each of which he be-
queathed five thousand dollars by will.

The influence of Mr. Dodge was always
cast on the side of right and progress, and
he was active in the Citizen's Association,
whose object was the securing of honest and
eflficient government for the city. At a meet-
ing at Coo])er Institute, May 3. 1870, presided
over by Peter Cooper, Mr. Dodge was one
of the speakers in indignant remonstrance
against proposed laws, detrimental to the pub-
lic schools. He became early interested in
the development of railroads and was a di-
rector of the New York & Erie railroad from
1839 to 1851. He was interested in various
properties, now a part of the Lackawanna
railroad system, was for thirty years a di-
rector of the Central railroad of New Jersey,
seven years president of the Houston & Texas
Central railroad, and interested in various
railroad properties in the south and west. He
was one of the first subscribers to the stock
of the New York Elevated railroad, but on
account of his opposition to the operation of
Sundav trains, he withdrew from all connec-
tion with that and with the Erie and Jersey



Central railroads, disposing of his stock. Al-
ways interested in the welfare of his native
land, in early manhood he afifiliated with the
Whig party, and supported Henry Clay for
president in 1844. He opposed the annexa-
tion of Texas, the extension of slavery, and
the reduction of the tariff", and warmly aided
the efforts to make Kansas a free state in
1856. He was a delegate to the peace con-
gress held at Washington in February, 1861,
and V. hen the efforts of this organization were
found to be futile, he gave his hearty support
to the policy of President Lincoln. In 1864,
without seeking the nomination, he was elected
to represent the eighth New York district in
the national congress, and was compelled to
pass through a bitter contest before securing
his seat. In 1872 he was a presidential elector,
aiding in the choice of President Grant and
\'ice-President Wilson. Mr. Dodge was a
most liberal contributor to various charities,
and at the time of his death his annual con-
tributions totaled one hundred thousand dol-
lars. When the Dodge Family Association
met at Salem, Massachusetts, in July. 1879,
he took a warm interest in the preparation of
the family genealogy, offering to hear one-
fifth of its cost, and became treasurer of the
publication committee. In 1885 a beautiful
bronze monument to his memory was erected
at the intersection of Thirty-fourth Street,
Broadway and Sixth Avenue, whose cost was
borne by the voluntary subscriptions of three
hundrcci and eighty persons. The bronze fig-
ure rests upon a handsome granite pedestal,
in which is a drinking fountain, commemo-
rative of his temperance principles.

He married, in New York, June 24. 1828,
Melissa Phelps, born March 3. 1809, in Hart-
ford, daughter of .Anson Greene and (Olivia
(Eggleston) Phelps. She survived him. Chil-
dren : William Earl, mentioned below ; Anson
Greene, born August 25, 1834; David Stuart,
September 26. 1836; Sarah Olivia, April 19,
T839: Charles Cleveland, September 16, 1841 ;
Melissa Phelps. December 21, 1844: Norman
White, November 24, 1846; George Eggleston,
December i, 1849; Arthur Murray. October
29, 1852.

(IX) William Earl (2). eldest child of
William Earl (i) and Melissa (Phelps)
Dodge, was born February 15, 1832, in New
York City. He was delicate as a boy, and



SOUTHERN NEW YORK



437



his education was chiefly suppHed by private
instruction. On attaining manhood he be-
came a partner in Phelps, Dodge & Company,
of which estabHshment he became the head,
succeeding his father. While occupied with
large business cares, he gave much attention
to philanthropic and social work. During the
civil war he was an officer of the Loyal Pub-
lication Society, and was an advisory director
of the Women's Central Association of Re-
lief, an outgrowth of the United States San-
itary Commission. He was one of the com-
missioners of the state of New York under
the allotment law, his commission being one
of the first signed by President Lincoln.
Among the founders and active members of
the Protective War Claim Association, he did
much for the relief of discharged soldiers and
received the thanks of the legislature of the
state of New York by joint vote for his serv-
ices in this connection. Mr. Dodge was among
the founders of the Union League Club and
the Young Men's Christian Association, and
was several years president of the latter or-
ganization. During his incumbency of that
position the first building for the exclusive
use of the association was erected. He was
president of the Evangelical Alliance for the
United States, and a liberal contributor to
many religious and charitable works. Among
the institutions which he aided largely in es-
tablishment were the Metropolitan Museum
of Art, the American Museum of Natural



Online LibraryCuyler ReynoldsGenealogical and family history of southern New York and the Hudson River Valley : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 82 of 95)