D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) Hurd.

History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) online

. (page 101 of 118)
Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 101 of 118)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

refused, a part withdrew and erected what came to
be known as the South Church.

The proceedings of the body who erected the
South Church formed an official record as follows :

" Plympton, July y 21, 1772.

" We, The Subscribers, Being met together, Do agree to
Build a Meeting House, and For to sett Sd House on the hill
to the North of Mr. Peleg Barrows House for to Stand on the
Rode that leads from Rochester to Plimouth, at the same time
we, the subscribers, do chose a Committee of Five Persons to
overcee and carry on the Building a* 1 House, which arc as fol-
loweth :

"Joshua Benson, John Shaw, Bartlett Murdock, Benjamin
Ward, Joseph Barrows."

11 Subscribers Numea titid nutiis.

£ «. d.

M Barnabas Atwood IU 8

Peleg Barrows 13 G 8

Joshua Benson 13 G 8

Bartlett Murdock L3 ti S

Obediab Lyon - 13 4

Francis Sturtevant ■"'< " "

Saluthiel Buinpus I 13 I

Joseph Barrows If !«'! 4

John Brid^ham 13 G 8

Seth Barrows U 8 U

John Muxoui 3 ti 8

Joseph Aiwood G IS I

William Washburn 4 u U

Pttlog Barrows, J r 6 13 4

Bartlett Murdock, Jr G 13 4

Elkanab Lucas ■'> G 8

Jouathun Barrows G IS 4

Simmons Barrows 5 G 8

Elathau Benson I) 13 4

Edmund Milium 1 G 8

Jubez Muxom It I

Jubn Shaw, Jr IU U

James Munloek 13 It S

Benjjimin Ward G 13 4

Samuel Lucas, Jr 5 G 8



£. «. d.

Benjamin Barrows I

Gideon Perkins, 3 Days work U

William Morrison 16 8

Ephraiui GrirTeth SOS

Samuel Atwood - 13 4

Joshua Benson, Jr 5 6 8"

" November ye 18, A.D. 1 772.
" By a meeting of the Subscribers we did then, at Mr. Peleg
Barrows, agree how largo to build s d House, Namely, 42 By 37."
" November ye 23, A.D. 1772.
"Voted to give the Carpenters lor Gitting Timber for s°
House three Shillings three Farthings pr Day."

" Voted to give the Narrow ax men two Shillings i four
pence three Farthings pr Day."

"Voted to give for oake Timber Five Shillings and fore
peuce pr Tun."

" Voted to give for Teamin Six Shillings and Eight penco pr

" Voted to give for merchantable Boards one Pound Seven-
teen Shillings & fore pence."

" Voted to give for Inteh &. Quarter Boards two pound Six
Shillings and Eight pence."

"Feb. yel, A.D. 1773.
" Voted for Benjamin Ward to set up s d Meeting-House and
Finish the out side."

"June 21, A.D. 1773.
" Voted to Build s d House by the Pews For them men that
Subscribed to have credit Toward their Pews if they Please to
have any."

"Voted to Chose 50 men to Raise s d Meeting- House & to
Provide for s d men a good Dinner and Drinks Sufficient for

" Voted to give Spectators that come to Raising s d House
Licker Sufficient for them."

" Voted to Git two Barrells of Rum for Raising s d House."
" Voted to Raise s d meeting-House as soon as it is Framed."

" Octob f ye 12, A.D. 1774.
" Chose Mr. John Bridgham Vandue blaster for to Vanduc
a d Pews in s d meeting-House."

" Voted if the s d Pews sell for more than s d House shall cost
when it is Done for to Keduet out of Each Pew, Eaquully, in
Proportion, according to the Valley of them, and, Likewise, if
s d House cost more than tho Pews sell for to ad on to a d Pews
the sums Equal Proportion."

Pew No. 1, Sold to Mr. Peleg Barrows for.







£ :

.... 27 6

Mr. John Muxom for 13 6

Mr. Joseph Barrows for 16

Joshua Benson, Jr., for 16

Francis Sturtevant for 16 10

Mr. John Shaw for IS

Mr. Bartlett M unlock for 21 6

Mr. Benjamiu Ward for 14 IS

Mr. William Morrison for 14 13

Salutbiel Bunipus for 7 6 8 1

Joseph Atwuod for 8 2 8 1

Mr. Scth Barrows for 13 6 8

Mr. James Murdock for 24 13 4

Mr. Elkanah Lucas for 15 12 j

Mr. John Bridgham for 27 6 S

Mr. Bartlett Murdock for 17 6 8 j

Mr. Bartlett Murdock for 18

Mr. Obcdiah- Lyon for 17 6 8 I

Mr. Joshua Beiisuu for 24 IS 8 ]

Mr. Simmons Barrows for 8 14 8

* « 22. " Mr. Peleg Barrows for 8 13 4

" " " " Mr, Samuel Lucas for 8 13 4

" Plimiton, March ye 23, 1779.
" Voted, for Mr. Peleg Barrows to take care of the Meeting-
house for one year to open and shut the Doors and Sweep s d
house for two Dollars."

"Carver, May ye 17, A. Douine 1792.

" Voted, to Finish the meeting-Uouse as soonc as the Pews
that we Sell will Do it." „

"Sot up the Pew No. 14 on the Lower Floor to bo Vandued,
i. it was Bid of by Joseph Ellis 4 Elisha Murdock In partner-
ship For Eleven pounds Six Shillings."

'• Sot up the Pew No. 4. It was Bid of by Lev' Ichaliad
Benson For nine Pounds live Shillings."

"Sot up the half Pew No. 19 on the Lower Floor, and it was
Struck of to Bartlett Murdock For Fore Pounds."

"Sut up a Pew in the Gallery, No. 1. It struck to Lev'
John Shaw for fore PoundB."

Meetings of the proprietors continued to be held
for several years, aod votes passed to build additional
pews, that were sold to raise funds to finish the house,
and at a meeting in January, 1820,

"Voted, to give up this meeting-house, and Build one in the
Centre of the Town, providing the North End of the town will
Join in Building sd house."

Nov. 22, 1823. "Voted, to Rase three hundred Dollars to
Repair the meeting-house."

April 6, 1824. " Voted, to Repair the outside of the meet-
ing-house;" and that "the Assessors should prise the pews
and make the taxes in four weeks from this Date."

May 17, 1824. "Voted, that the Commity Lay out the
money that is assessed."

Aug. 24, 1S24. "Voted, to Raise one Hundred Dollars, in
addition to the above money Raised, to make out tho Repairs
of the Meeting-House."

Dee. 20, 1824. "Voted, to plaster and under-pin the meet-

Jan. 10, 1825. "Voted, to Paint the inside of the Meeting-

" Voted, to build 5 new Pews, ono at the placo where the east
door entered and 4 in frout of the front Pews."

The records contain the following concerning the
new underpinning:

" Underpiniug Job. The Front .1. West end to be under-
pined with hewn stone 12 Inches deep."

" Upper Front Door-Step to be thirty Inches wide and
Inches thick, in Length to extend to the outside of the Door-
Cases, Under Step, same length, four inches thick, fifteen inches

" West door-step, Top Stone, twenty-four Inches wide, under
step, fifteen Inches wide four Inches thick."

April 5, 1825, "Voted to Sell the New Pew where the East
Door Stood, together with all the Boards, Nails, etc., remaining
on hand.

" New Pew Sold to John Bent.

" Voted to Paint the Pulpit Mahogany Colour, Breastwork

" Pews White, Tops Mahogany.

" Posts, Braces, <t Window-Cases, White.

" Gallery Pews tops only painted."

Juno 6, 1825, " Voted to alter the pulpit and repair flore.

"Voted that Lt. J. Murdock Shall Keep the Kceof sd House
Sweep it and put in the Glass, and have the use of the Minis-
ter's pew for his Trouble."

April 16, 1840, "Voted to repair the roof by shingling the
front-side and patching the back-side, repair the Glass, Floors,
and such other repairs as the Committee think necessary."

The two religious assemblies, already noticed, were
considered to be of the order denominated " Triui-



taiian Cougregationalists," although the rueetiug-house
of the SecoDt] Cliurch aud society appears to have
been occupied by the '• Calvinistic Baptists" uiucli of
tlie time for uiuuy years.

Calvinistic Baptist Church. — Among the earliest
Disseuting ministers, who were sometimes termed
"New Lights,'' that visited and preached in that sec-
tion of the country now Carver was Richard Lee, who,
in 17S2, was by a mob forcibly taken from a religious
meeting in Hiugham, shamefully abused, clothes torn,
carried out of that town, and life threatened should
lie ever return. And, obedient to the command, if
persecuted in one city flee to another, so that which
the people of llingham were not then in a condition
to receive was dispeused to the inhabitants of Carver
by Richard Lee, while fleeing from a dragon persecu-
tion, and some of those converts to the doctrines he
taught subsequently became Baptists.

The first Baptist minister who preached in Carver
was Rev. Abraham Cumniings, whose labors here
were brief, and the principles of this denomination
appear to have been of slow growth, for it was not
until July 13, 1791, that a Baptist Church was
formed that at first cousisted of only twelve members.

Of this Baptist Church Rev. John Tripp was, on
the 28th of September, 1791, ordained pastor, and
upon the 3d of October, in that year, Rowland Ham-
mond and B. Bryant were chosen deacons.

Iu 1793 came a " revival," from the effects of
which the membership of this church was increased
to fifty-two persons.

Rev. Mr. Tripp remained as pastor until 1799,
when he was dismissed to become the pastor of a
church iu Hebron, Me. He sustained the reputation
of being a mau of talents, piety, aud devotion, and
was greatly beloved by his people. Iu 1802, Jacob
Shaw was chosen deacou.

Iu 1804, Ezra Kendall temporarily supplied the
pulpit with unusually fruitful results, as twenty-four
were added by baptism to the church, and in June,
1S06, David Bursell was ordained pastor, and he con-
tinued as such until 1810. During his ministrations
(viz., in 1808) Joseph Bobbins was made deacon.

One of the articles of this church's faith was that
" No force or compulsion is to be used in moving
any" to the support of the miuistry, and to relieve
themselves from taxes assessed upon them by the
Congregatioualists this Baptist society, in 1811, ob-
tained from the State Legislature an act of incorpora-
tion March 1, 1820, Ebeuezer Shurtletf was elected

Iu 1823 this church and society (that had long
worshiped in the South meetinghouse) united their

efforts with some members of the Congregational so-
ciety aud erected the Centre Church, that was occu-
pied by both denominations, sometimes together and
sometimes separately.

Samuel Glover preached to this Baptist Church iu
years 1838 aud 1839, and at the last date Ebeuezer
Atwood was chosen deacou.

Rev. John B. Parris was ordained pastor in 1S48,
but remained only one year. He was a uative of that
part of Middleboro' now Lakeville, aud resides in
Westport, haviug giveu up preaehiug aud engaged iu
medical practice.

Ephraim Dunham chosen deacon iu 1S50, and this
year and the next Caleb Benson preached hull' uf the

In 1852 or 1853, J. M. Mace became their pastor,
which office he retained three years, during which
time twenty persons were added to the church.

For a time the pulpit was not regularly supplied,
after which Rev. William Leach became the pastor.

Mr. Lot Shurtleff, formerly of Carver, in his " last
will and testament," bequeathed to this Baptist
Church the sum of five thousand dollars, to be made
a fund for the support of a preached gospel.

The Central Church. — In 1823 was commenced
the building of a church edifice at or near the geo-
graphical centre of the town, which enterprise was
undertaken by the uuitcd efforts of Congregatioualists
and Baptists, with the understanding that when com-
pleted each denomination should occupy it for public
religious worship one-half of the tiiue, which for a
while was practiced, but in a few years the Baptists
came to use the church edifice three-fourths, and
finally nearly or quite all the time. This place of
public worship was deemed an elegaut structure at
the date of its erection, some of the best mechanics
of that time being employed in the labor of building,
which was prolonged iuto the next year after that of
its commencement.

The Methodist Church. — May 1, 1831, a class
was formed iu Carver, with Charles Rider as class-
leader, and not long after Charles Rider, Thomas
Maxim, Jr., Sumner Atwood, Sullivan Gammons,
Anna Rider, Mary A.twood, Susanah S. Maxim, Pa-
tience Maxim, Sylvia Shurtleff, and Alice Bumpus
were embodied as a " Reformed Methodist" Church.

Their meeting-house was commenced in May,
1843, and dedicated in the mouth of October of the
next year, the sermon on that occasion being deliv-
ered by Rev. William Tozer

The pulpit has been occupied by the following
ministers: L. D. Johnson, Nathan Clark, Presbury
Clark, Pliny Brett, William Tozer, John McLcish,



T. M. Hall, S. Y. Wallace, Joseph Eldridge, R. H.
Dorr, and Elijah W. Barrows.

This church, as early as about the year 1836, took
to itself the name of " Protestaut Methodists," and it
so continued until about IStiG, or a period of some
thirty years, since which the preachers have been
supplied by the " Episcopal Methodist" Conference
in the persons of the following-named clergymen :

Charles Carter, Tirrell, E. M. Dunham, E.

Williams, A. B. Bessee, W. J. Ward, H. W. Hamb-
lin, J. B. Hamblin, Jr., Charles Smith, and Ephiaim
Hunt, the present pastor. This church now numbers
fifty-two members.

The Advent Church. — Meetings by the people of
this faith were held in Carver from about the year
1844, but no church formed UDtil Nov. 4, 1S70,
when a church organization was effected, that took
upon itself the name of the " Advent Christian
Church." The following are the names of its first
or earliest members: Levi Ransom, Eliel Benson,
Winslow Pratt, William Eunis Hatheway, Atwood
Shaw, James Breach, Lucy Ransom, Louisa Ransom,
Betsey S. Hammond, Lucy P. Hathaway, Lucinda
E. Morse, Sarah A. Hammond, Chloo Shaw, Abby
T. Wade, Eunice Vaughan, Sally D. Dunham, and
Lucy Chace.

The pastors have beeu William Ennis Hatheway,
J. J. Leslie, J. R. Boyuton, W. F. Smith, and C. W.
Sweet, who now supplies the pulpit.

The church uow numbers about fifty members, and
has a comfortable and convenient chapel at North
Carver, Sunday services being quite fully attended.

The Union Society. — This religious body erected
a church edifice, concerning the construction of which
its records contain the following :

" Commenced Stone Work for new church Monday, 15th
August, 1854, by Setn S. Maxim, of Carver, by whom it was
executed und completed.

"Commenced Framing new church Monday, 21st Aug., 185-1.

"Raised the I'raiuo of new church, Uth Sept., 1S54, and the
carpenter's work was finished Jan. 15, 1S55.

"The church wus all completed, ready for occupation aud
delivery to the proprietors on the 12th day of May, 1S55.

"On Friday, the 2()tb day of July, 1S55, a Bell weighing
1175 lbs. caat by II. Wiltorpe A Co., Boston, was put in the
church Tower, aud a Church Bell was for the lirst time sounded
or rung in the Town of Carver since its organization, and the
only one at present in the Tuwn ; also a Iteed Organ was
placed iu the Organ Gallery. The above Bell aud Organ were
presented to the church by Jesse Murdoek, Esq., and William
Saverv, Esq.

"Saturday, July 2Sth, 1S55, According to arrangements
made by the Committee, the Church was Dedicated to the
Public Worship of God, services as follows:

" 1. Vuluntary by tho Choir.

"2. Heading of the Scriptures by Prof. J. W. P. Jenks, of
Peirce Academy, Middlcborough, Baptist.

3. Introductory Prayer by Rev. Nathaniel Coggswell, of
North Carver, Orthodox

" 4. Sermon by Rev. A. A. Miner, of Boston, Universalist.

"5. Consecrating Prayer by Rev. Isaac Kendall, D.D., of
Plymouth, Unitarian.

" 6. Address to Society & Benediction, Rev. W m Tozer, South
Carver, MethoJist.

" The day was fine and a larger number of people present
Than the Church could contain, and every thing passer) oil' har-
moniously and pleasantly aod to universal satisfaction.

"On the following Sabbath, Rev. llo=ea liallou, D.D., of
Somcrville, officiated A.M. A P.M.

" Saturday, P.M., August 4 th , 1S55.

" Met agreeably to notice.

" On motion of S. F. Jenkins, it was seconded and -carried
that this Society be known and distinguished as the Uuion
Society of South Carver."

The pulpit was occupied during the season between
the date of dedication and the last of November,
1855, as follows: July 29th, Rev. Hosea Ballou,
Universalist ; August 5th, Rev. William Spencer, Bap-
tist ; August 12th, Rev. William Tozer, Methodist ;
August 19th, Rev. Samuel Nott, Congregationalist ;
August 26th, Rev. H. V. Deau, Methodist ; Septem-
ber 2d, Rev. James Kendall, D.D.. Unitarian ; Sep-
tember 9th, Rev. R. Tomlinson, Universalist ; Sep-
tember 16th, Rev. William Tozer, Methodist ; Sep-
tember 23d, John W. P. Jenks, Baptist ; September

30th, Vose, Universalist; October 7th, Rev.

William Tozer, Methodist; October 14th, Rev.

Nott, Episcopalian; October 21st, Rev. N. Coggswell,

Congregationalist; October 28th, Rev. Gilbert,

Congregationalist; November 4th, Rev. R. Tomlin-
son, Universalist; November 11th, Rev. Rich-
ards, Methodist; November 18th, Rev. William
Tozer, Methodist; November 25th, Rev. J. C. Ball,

The same liberality iu religious sentiment by the

foregoing shown to have been put iu practice at the

I commencement has continued to characterize the

couduct of this Union Society until the present time.

I Jesse Murdoek, a valuable member, who died a few

' years since, left five thousand dollars, the interest of

which to be appropriated to the support of public

worship carried on here, and five thousand dollars

more, the income of which to be devoted to improving

the cemetery grounds.


At a town-meeting iu Carver, held iu the autumn
of 1790, voted to appropriate thirty pounds for the
support of schools, and also made choice of " Capt.



Benjamin Crocker, Consider Chase, Samuel Lucas
(3d), Capt. William Atwood, Mr. Benjamin White,
and Mr. Caleb Atwood as a committee to Moddle the
School Districts and to proportion the Money to each
district, and provide a school in each district."

In March, 1791, the town voted to raise forty
pounds for the support of schools, and in November
of that year voted to divide the territory of the town
into, or to provide for schools iu, six districts. Forty
pounds for the same purpose was voted in 1792, and
fifty pounds in 1793.

At March meeting in 1794, the appropriation was
sixty pounds, and six school agents were chosen to
proportion the money.

In 1795 the appropriation was only forty pounds,
but the next year raised to sixty pounds, aud thus it
seems to have continued to and including the year

In 1804 voted two hundred dollars for schools, and
this sum was probably the yearly appropriation until
1818, when the sum was increased to two hundred
aud fifty dollars, and iu 1834 to three hundred dollars.

In 1837 voted to receive this town's proportion of
the " surplus revenue" money, and that it be put on
interest and the income appropriated to the support
of schools in addition to the present appropriation,
but this was afterwards reconsidered. The appropria-
tion was in 1838 increased to three hundred and
seventy-five dollars, in 1840 to four hundred dollars,
in 1842 to four hundred aud sixty dollars, aud iu
1845 to six hundred dollars.

The town in 1856 voted to appropriate eight hun-
dred dollars for the support of schools, and in open
town-meeting, March 7, 1859, voted an appropriation
of one thousand dollars for schools, at which time
William Savery, Esq., proposed to make the gift of
one hundred dollars per year toward the support of
schools to be kept in the town of Carver, which gift
shall continue yearly to be made as long as the giver
shall feel able and willing, and he to give to the town
due notice of his intention to suspend further or
longer provision, said sum of one hundred dollars
each and every year to be placed in the hands of the
school committee.

The town voted thus to accept the gift and passed
a vote of thanks to the giver, and it was determined
upon that one-third of the school mouey should be
divided upon the schools, and two-thirds upon the
scholars, aud the several school districts authorized
each to choose its own school agent.

William Savory, Esq., showed his liberality and
public spirit on another occasion in the geuerous gift
of forty volumes to each school district iu town, in

consideration of which testament the voters in open
town-meeting passed the following: "Resolved that
we cordially accept of these libraries, and direct the
superintending school committee that they see the
same placed in the several school-houses, aud that
the design aud wishes of the donor be fully carried

The appropriation for the support of schools was in
1871 twelve hundred dollars, and iu 1874 increased
to eighteen hundred dollars.



At a comparatively early date in its English settle-
ment, aud perhaps even before that settlement was
begun, that tract of country now the township of
Carver was found to abound with valuable ores, chief,
and the most readily available, of which was that of

This iron ore was found imbedded in the ground,
so near the earth's surface that neither prolonged nor
very arduous effort nor costly machinery were required
in its procurement, added to which the bottom of
Sampson's Pond, so called, was found to teem with
the crude metal, that could be had for the labor of
scrapiug it together.

To extract from this iron ore the pure metal the
only means then probably known, or at any rate the
only method put in successful practice, was to place it
when heated under the strokes of a heavy trip-ham-
mer, and thus divest it of dross, and finally drawing
it into merchantable bars, that in some parts of this
country were for a time declared a " legal tender" iu
paying a specified proportion of debts.

Carver not only abounded with this valuable ore,
but it was also equally and as readily supplied with
fuel to heat the crude material, and water-power to
put in motion the heavy trip-hammer, so essential in
giving the finishing strukes to the enterprise. In-
deed, it is doubtful whether the far-famed " milk and
honey" of ancieut Canaan, with its " corn and wine,"
were more effectual in causing its settlement by the
" children of Israel" than was the rich iron ore, the
abounding wood, and never-failing water of Carver in
securing as its occupauts the " sons and daughters of
the Pilgrims."

There has not, even to the present time, been any
signs of exhaustion in the iron ore, or failing iu Car-



ver'3 numerous streams of living waters, but in the
fuel there is not now a supply equal to the demand
of "blooming" or " smelting" iron, thus showiug that
" these three were" in demand essentially " one" in
that early industry of manufacturing iron from the
raw material. The quantity of heated ore placed at
one time under a trip-hammer was called a " bloom,"
the act of thus working the ore designated as " blooui-
iug," the building where done known as a " bloomery,"
and the operator a " bloomer." In later years the
place was called a "• forge," and the operator a " forge-
man." Succeeding the bloomery, or forge, was the
blast-furnace. Smelting being deemed an improve-
ment upon blooming, and the furnace business prob-
ably greatly exceeded in the amount of labor done at
Carver all that had preceded it in the bloomery or
forge enterprise, for while at the bloomery iron ore was
ouly made into " merchantable bars," the blast-furnace
brought the ore into " pigs," and then converted the
" pig-iron" into pots aud kettles, spiders and skillets,
with various other articles of domestic use, under the
then general and comprehensive name of " hollow-
ware." It is a fact worthy of notice that in the early
years of the furnace busiuess at Carver it was ex-
pressly understood that manufactured articles should
at least in part -be received by the workmen engaged
in payment for their labors performed and services
rendered, and the latter were not uofrequently com-
pelled to turn peddlers of hollow-ware before they
could realize the fruits of their labors as furuacemeu
in the form of " clean cash."

Fuel becoming comparatively scarce, the old blast-
furnace was succeeded and supplanted by the cupola-
furnace, that could not smelt the iron ore, but instead
melted the pigs made by the smelting process, aud
furnished castings of as many and perhaps even more
kinds thau had been produced by the blast-fur-

With the abandonment of the old blast-furnaces, of
course had to be given up the use of iron ore found
in Carver, and pig-iron brought from afar made to
take its place.

Blast-Furnaces. — The " Federal Furnace," says
one and apparently reliable authority, " was erected
in 1794," while tradition has claimed for it an origin

Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 101 of 118)