D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) Hurd.

History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) online

. (page 116 of 118)
Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 116 of 118)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


reputation among the trade. It is not surprising then
that this well-known and firmly-established house
should have attained the success it enjoys, and which
the long experience of the proprietors in the business
and their general liberal policy and integrity fully
warrants a lengthened continuance. The individual
members of the firm are both natives of Abington.
Mr. Richmond J. Lane was born in 1820, and Mr.
Ashton H. Pratt in 1857. They have uniformly
made it a rule to employ none but skilled workmen,
use nothing but the best stock, and the trade may
depend confidently upon securing from their estab-
lishment exactly what they desire. Their salesroom
is at No. 127 Summer Street, Roston. The firm last
year turned out four thousand twelve-pair cases, at a
market value of one hundred and thirty thousand dol-
lars.

In mentioning the boot and shoe trade of Rock-
land we would not willingly omit reference to the
house of Messrs. Arnold <fc Leatherbee, which has
done no little to promote the prosperity and industrial
thrift of the community. This house was established
in 1879, by Messrs. Arnold & Leatherbee, under the
above title, both partners having had a previous ex-
perience iu the manufacturing business of a compre-
hensive character. The premises cousist of a four-
stoiy structure, measuring thirty-two by sixty feet in
dimensions, the first floor being retained for office and
sole-leather ; the second floor required as finishing-
room and packing department ; on the third we find
a force of skilled mechanics employed in cuttiug,
fitting, and stitchiug ; and the fourth is used for
bottoming. Here one hundred hands are employed,
who manufacture about two huudred pairs per day.
Iu the hauds, and under the able management of this
house, the business has been greatly enlarged during
the period which they have controlled it, a trade
having been established throughout the United States,
which is annually on the increase. The manufacture
of hand- and machine-sewed meu's tine calf boots



HISTORY OF ROCKLAND.



525



and shoes is under the immediate supervision of Mr.
H. B. Arnold, the senior member of the firm, who,
with an experience of many years, is known through-
out the entire trade as an expert iu his vocation. Mr.
H. B Arnold is a native of Rockland, and has
reached the age of fifty-five years, while Mr. J. D.
Leatheibee is a native of Boston, where he was born
in 184G. Their sales-room is located at No. 57 Lin-
coln Street, Boston. Messrs. Arnold & Leatherbee
were, for twelve years previous to their establishing
themselves in busiuess, iu the employ of Mr. George
B. Clapp, shoe manufacturer, the former aa super-
intendent, and the latter as book-keeper. They em-
ploy one hundred hands, and manufacture three
hundred pairs per day.

An important business was established in 1870 by
Messrs. Torrey & Guruey, a title which was sup-
planted in 1879 by E. P. Torrey & Co., and in
1883 changed to the present style, Torrey, Gurney
& Co. The premises cover an area of fifty by thirty
feet, flanked with an L measuring thirty-four by fif-
teen feet in dimensions, being three stories in height.
The first floor contains the office, packing-room, and
stock of sole-leather, also the dressing and stitching
department ; the second floor is devoted to cutting
and stitching, and the third floor is reserved for tree-
ing and finishing. One ten horse-power engine and
fifteen horse-power boiler are required to move the
machinery, which is of the latest and most improved
style, while one hundred skilled operatives are given
employment, who manufacture some two hundred
pairs per day. The goods manufactured and turned
out by Messrs. Torrey, Gurney & Co. hold the highest
reputation in the market for quality and durability.
The growth and prosperity of this house, though rapid,
is only commensurate with the energy, good judgment,
and superior advantages possessed by this firm, all of
which are sedulously employed in maintaining the
character of their goods. The individual members of
the firm are too well and widely known in this town,
and by the general trade over the country, to demand
personal mention at our hands. Messrs. E. P. Tor-
rey and E. S. Tirrell arc uatives of Abington, the
former being fifty, and the latter fifty-four years of
age. Mr. J. C. Gurney is a native of Hartford, Me.,
where he was born in 1833. Their sample- and sales-
room is located at No. 107 Summer Street, Boston.

Iu reviewing the several firms and individuals iu
the boot and shoe industry, we require no apology for
referring to the firm of Messrs. \V. E. Putnam & Co.
as being clearly entitled to recognition in this history.
This house was organized in 1863, by the association
of Messrs. W. E. Putnam and II. S. Jenkins, who



entered into the manufacture of fine calf boots and
shoes. The factory, a three-story structure, occupies
an area of two hundred and five by forty feet, the
same being supplied with a twenty-five horse-power
steam-engine which operates the machinery, all of
which is particularly effective and ingenious. Some
two hundred skillful mechanics find occupation in this
establishment, who turn out over five hundred pairs
per day. This factory is equal in extent to any simi-
lar concern in the State, and has become the centre
from which radiates a trade extending from Maine to
the Pacific slope, and from St. Paul to New Orleans.
The first floor of this well-equipped factory is used as
office- and packing-room, while a large force of arti-
sans is attending to the finishing and dressing. On
the second floor is a number of operatives conducting
the fitting, cutting, and bottoming, and ou the third
floor bottoming and cutting is done. The factory is
under the superintendence of Mr. W. H. Bates, and
the goods made are mainly the finest hand-sewed,
equaling in style the best Newark goods.

Messrs. W. E. Putnam & Co. also have a large manu-
factory at Campello. Always pursuing a policy em-
bracing the cardinal elements of success, — the highest
possible standard of goods produced at the lowest pos-
sible price, — strict adherence to sound business princi-
ples, and an indefatigable activity to ascertain the wants
of the trade, the house of W. E. Putnam & Co. has
created a demand for their manufactures throughout
the country, and is regarded as one of the most re-
liable and liberal manufacturing concerns. Mr. W.
E. Putnam is a native of Danvers, Mass., where he
was born in 1837, and Mr. H. S. Jenkins claims
Boston his native city, and has reached the age of
forty-five years. As a firm, it is not too much to say
of them, that in all attributes that lead to success and
universal consideration, Messrs. Putnam & Jcnkius
have been endowed to a remarkable degree. The
location of their sample-room is at 122 Summer
Street, Boston.

To successfully achieve the desired result of turn-
ing out the best description of work, it is essential
that the manufacturer should avail himself of such im-
provements as will more easily tend to accomplish his
object. This more particularly applies to the manu-
facturer of boots and shoes, as the large amount of
rivalry and competition displayed by the different
houses affords at once a market for any improvement
that may tend to lessen the cost or better the produc-
tion. In this connection we make mention of the
establishment of Mr. Jasou Smith, of Rockland,
manufacturer of Smith's patent sole-fitting and chan-
neling machine. This is one of the best labor-saving



526



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



machines ever introduced. Some of the advantages
claimed for this machine are that the cost of labor in
stock-fitting is reduced from fifty to seventy-five per
cent., as one man can do the work of from two to
four men. An active workman can round, channel,
aud groove iu one day two thousand pairs. One great
advantage in this machine is the saving of dies, which
in one year alone will pay the cost of the machine.

A prominent manufacturer states that this machine
has " saved more than three fourths the expense of
dies," aud that they •' find iron patterns more con-
venient to handle and easier to change."

This house was established in 1S7S by Messrs. C.
T. Stetson and J. Smith, under which title it was
known till 1879, when by the retirement of Mr. C. T.
Stetson the style aud status changed to that at present
employed. The premises occupied by Mr. Smith
consist of a three-story structure, covering an area of
fifty -five by twenty -seven feet, of which he occupies
two floors, which are equipped with the most perfect
machinery and mechanical appliances.

A native of Maine, where he was born in 1842,
Mr. Smith has been prominent in promotiug the in-
dustrial and commercial interests of llockland, and
occupies an esteemed position in the consideration of
this community.

In refereuce to the boot and shoe business trans-
acted in Rockland we have particular occasion to note
the house of Z. M. & E. Lane as being more than
usually prominent for the enterprise and energy with
which its operations are conducted. When Mr. J.
Lane established his business, iu 1834, his capital
was small, and his resources consequently limited.
Being a practical mechanic, however, aud perfectly
familiar with his work in every department, he made
it his object to excel, and the superiority of his work
became so well known as to lead to a trade which
gradually increased from year to year. In 1855 he
admitted his two sous, R. J. and Z. M. Lane, to an
interest in the concern, and the business was carried
on under the style of J. Lane & Sous till 1879, when
the present firm succeeded to the plant. To the
manufacture of fine boots and shoes the attention of
the firm is mainly directed, and the facilities enjoyed
for the production of this class of goods are simply
unrivaled. The factory is a large four-story buildiug,
covering au area of one hundred and fifty-eight by
one hundred and ten feet, supplied with all the mod-
ern mechanical appliances requisite for the perfection
of first-class work. Two hundred and twenty-five
experienced mechanics aro employed in the several
departmeuts, who turn out some seventy-five cases
per day. In point of durability, style, and finish,



these goods compare most favorably with the similar
products of other makers, and have a steady and
widely-extended demand. Both members of the firm
are natives of Rockland, and were born in that towu, —
Mr. Zenas M. Lane in 1828, and Mr. Everett Lane in
183G, — both having been actively identified here with
the iuterests and industries of this commuuity. This
firm produces annually about nine thousand cases, at
a value of three hundred thousand dollars.

Among the many houses engaged in the trade in
Rockland that are worthy of meutiou is the house of
Mr. C. W. Torrey. He is a manufacturer of fine
calf boots aud shoes, of which lie makes as fine an
assortment as cau be obtained iu any similar con-
cern. This establishment was originated by C. W.
Torrey aud T. P. Young iu 185S. They conducted
the business uutil 1SG0, wheu the latter retired, aud
the title of the firm changed to its present title. The
premises consist of a four-story structure, covering
au area of thirty-five by one hundred and seventeen
feet. Here, iu various departmeuts of the works,
arc employed one hundred aud fifty bauds, many of
whom are expert mechanics, all being adroit iu their
respective duties, who turn out fifty dozen pairs per
day. All the latest aud most improved machinery,
propelled by a fifteen horse-power steam-engine, are
to be found here. In all respects this establishment
occupies a leading position in the market, not only
with regard to the superiority of its goods, but is also
equally conspicuous for the enterprise of its policy
and the liberality and promptness with which all iu
dealings are conducted. Mr. C. W. Torrey is a native
of Rockland, where he was born in 1831, and bears
a high reputatiou among his many friends and cus-
tomers.

In describing the various manufacturers of Rock-
laud we are not likely to overlook the establishment
of Mr. C. H. Warfield, which is deserving of more
than limited consideration. For many years Mr.
Warfield has been well and favorably known iu Rock-
land as a practical and skillful machinist, aud the
work turned out from his establishment has long been
recognized by the trade as first-class iu every respect.
This house was established in 18S1 by Mr. Warfield,
and duriug this period he has been continually en-
gaged iu mcchauical pursuits, until his name and
reputation as a machinist have become widespread
throughout this State. The premises consist of a
four-story structure, of which he occupies part of the
first floor, well equipped throughout, including two
turning-lathes, two polishing-lathes, and a forge. The
business dune by Mr. Warfield is varied aud exten-
sive, embracing many specialties. He is a manufae-



HISTORY OF ROCKLAND.



turer of shoe machinery, together with all kinds of
repairs and general machine work to order, etc. He
employs assistants, who are also skillful mechanics,
aud is prepared to execute all work in his Hue not
only promptly, but with that intelligent apprehension
that makes his service so highly appreciated. Mr.
C. II. Warfield is a Dative of Blackstone, this State,
where lie was born in 1S42.

We have already commented at such length upon
the important place that the boot and shoe manufac-
ture holds in New England, and especially in Massa-
chusetts, that any such remarks in connection with
the house to which we invite the reader's attention
in this article might well be deemed superfluous.
The house of Mr. K. T. Harvell was established iu
1S74, aud he has beeu identified with Rockland and
its industries for a number of years. All the latest
and most improved machinery is to be fouud here to
facilitate the work of seventy-five skilled artisans,
who manufacture about oue hundred pairs per day.
All goods are gotten up for comfort and durability, the
stock being the best and the workmanship all that
can be desired. Mr. E. T. Harvell is a native of
South Weymouth, where he was born, in 1842, and
has had an experience of fifteen years iu this indus-
try. In the liveliest season Mr. Harvell employs
eighty hands, and last year shipped two thousand
five hundred cases.

T. Dunovuu commenced the manufacture of boots
and shuts in Rockland in 1877, and employs from
twelve to twenty bauds.

The business of Burrell, Houghton & Co. was es-
tablished by L. J. Loud and B. A. Burrell, in De-
cember, 1872, under the firm-name of Loud & Bur-
rell. At the end of two aud a half years Burrell
purchased of Mr. Loud his interest in the business,
when the style was changed to B. A. Burrell & Co.
Under this style it contiuued until July, 1878, when
it took the present style of Burrell, Houghtou & Co.
Value of annual product, three hundred thousand
dollars.

J. S. Turner. This business was established in
September, 18C5, under the firm-name of Studley &
Turner. Iu 1873, Mr. Studley met his death by
a sad accident. Since 1873 the business has been
conducted under the firm-name of J. S. Turner.
The number of hands employed when running full is
from two hundred to two hundred and fifty. Value
of annual product, three hundred aud thirty thousand
dollars.

J. II. Locke & Co. commenced busiuess in Wheel-
ing, W. Va., in the summer of 1874, and subse-
quently removed to Rocklaud. They employ about a



dozen hands. They do a busiuess of about sixty-five
thousand dollars annually.

A. W. Perry manufactures boots and shoes amount-
ing to one hundred and thirty thousand dollars annu-
ally.

E. T. Wright, on Webster Street, and C. E. Lane,
on Liuden Street, have also built up a considerable
business in the manufacturing of boots aud shoes.

M. McDevitt's bakery is a representative institution
of the town. It employs about thirty persons, and
the value of the annual product amounts to about
eighty thousand dollars.

The business done by Messrs. Culver, Phillips &
Co. is so large that it is deserving of mention. It
was established in 1871 under the firm-name of A.
Culver & Co., and so continued until 1S79, wheu the
firm assumed the present name. Last year the sales
of coal amounted to eight thousand tons, and the
aggregate sales of coal, lumber, grain, flour, bay, etc.,
for the same period of time, footed up two hundred
and twenty-five thousand dollars. A business of eighty
thousand dollars was done the first year it was estab-
lished. Mr. Culver was for many years book-keeper
for Jenkins Lane & Son, and is at present treasurer
of the Hanover Branch Railway Company.

In addition to the above there are also other minor
manufacturing establishments in this town, consti-
tuting in all an industrial centre of no inconsiderable
importance.

The following are the names of present voters who
have lived in Abington and Rockland a half-century
or more :



Jacob S. Ames.
Briggs Arnold.
Ezra Arnold.
Eira D. Arnold.
Henry B. Arnold.
William D. Arnold.
llorutiu Baker.
Robert Bass.
David Beal.
Franklin Beal.
Nathan A. Beul.
Nathaniel Beal.
Benjamin F. Brooks.
Bradford T. Brooks.
Alfred Brown.
Adna Burrell.
Benjamin Burrell.
Charles M. Burrell.
Elias A. Burrell.
Harvey C. Burrell.
John Burrell.
John Burrell (2d).
Lucius A. Burrell.
Seth Chandler.
Edmund B. Curtis.



Joshua Curtis.
Leander Curtis.
Bruinard Cusbing.
Davis Curbing.
Urban W. Curbing.
William S. Cusbing.
Zattu dishing.
Charles H. Dill.
Joseph Dill.
Josiah IC. Fuller.
James C. Gardner.
Washington Gardner.
William It. Gurncy.
David Hammond.
Albert Hoburt.
John Hobart.
Dnvid llolbruok.
Dexter Holbrook.
Quincy Holbrook.
Quincy Holbrook (2d).
Richard Holbrook.
Turner R. Holbrook.
David Hunt.
David F. Hunt.
Gilbert Hunt.



52S



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



Reuben Hunt.
William Hunt.
David Jacobs.
Zenas Jenkins.
Albert Lane.
Elbridge Lane.
Marshall Lane.
Richmond J. Lane.
Silas Lane.
Thcruu Lane.
Thomas Lane.
Warren Lane.
Zeoas M. Lane.
Reuben Loud.
Sauiuel V. Loud.
George Lovewell.
Daniel Lovewell.
Gustavua Mann.
Josiah Mann.
Lewis A. Nash.
Stephen Payne.
Gideon C. Phillips.
Cyrus Pool.
David S. Pool.
John C. Pool.
Ludo A. Pool.
Lysander Pool.
William Pool.
James N. Pratt.
Henry H. Prouty.
Amos S. Reed.
Dexter Reed.



Theodore Reed.
William T. Reed.
Bruckley Shaw.
Augustus E. Shaw.
Elijah Shaw.
Jcrl'erson Shaw.
Melvin Shaw.
Dana Smith.
Franklin Smith.
Nathaniel R. Smith.
Samuel W. Soiners.
Josiah Soule.
Stephen Standish.
Austin Studley.
Reuben Studley.
William A. Studley.
David Thomas.
Arioeh Thompson.
Samuel V. Thompson.
Edwin S. Tirrcll.
Churles W. Torrey.
David Torrey.
Edward P. Torrey.
Noah 11. Turner.
Elbridge V. Wheeler.
George F. Wheeler.
John W. Wheeler.
Leonard Whiting,
Stephen Whiting.
John Wilkes.
Warren Wilkes.



The teachers of Rockland are as follows : C. F.
Meserve, M. M. O'Brien, Abbie E. Ferris, high
school ; C. B. Collins, William F. Nichols, Hulda B.
Loud, Emma F. Poole, grammar school ; Fidelia A.
Estes, Ella A. Everson, W. W. Winslow, Sara A.
Mcllvein, Alice E. Newhall, Effie Beal, intermediate;
Alice Holbrook, Central Street ; Maria Jenkins, Mary
P. Shaw, Clara A. Snow, Carrie Hughes, Mary D.
Dunbar, Jennie Mcllveue, Mary D. Lantz, primary.

The physicians at present practicing in Rockland
are J. C. Gleason, medical examiner, C. S. Millett,
Dr. Southgate, Mrs. Dr. Winslow, Dr. Beamish, and
Dr. Forrest.

The receipts at the post-office the past year amounted
to §3140.85.

In 1S60, Mr. William Douglas opened a periodical
sture. At this time he sold scarcely one hundred
papers a day. From this small beginning his busi-
ness has greatly increased, uutil now he averages six
huudred a day, four hundred of which are dailies.

List of women in the town of Rockland cpjalified
to vote in the election of school committee, as made
out by the selectmen, March 3, 18S4:



Sarah F. Meader. :;
Abbie M. Meserve. *
Malina Moore. *
Charlotte II. Mano.'
Kosmond S. Poole.
Hannah J. Packard.
Emma F. Poole.'- 1 "'
Julia Payne.
Maitba Heed.'- 9
Anna Heed. *
Arabella Torrey. -'
Emclinc D. Tirrcll."
Harriet Turner.-'
Mary A. Woodsuiu. '
Susan Wheeler. -
Mary L. Smith.
Sarah Shaw.
Betsey C. Shaw.*
Mary P. Shaw.*
) voted at the last election



Sarah E. Bird*
Emma L. Bearce.
Mary R. Burrell.»
Lydia F. Baker.*



Mary L. Burrell.'*
Susanna P. Babcock.
Rebecca T. Collins. •
Angelia W. Collins.'*



Mary D. Crowell.
Sarah A. Donham.*
Mary D. Dunbar.*'
Emma Dawes.
Fidelia A. Estee.
Ellen M. French.
Amanda M. Gardner. 8
Angelina G. Gardnor.
Anna G. Gardner.
Sarah E. llarper.'*
Betsey A. Hicks.*
Isabella B. Hill.*
Emily R. Holbrook.
Lydia J. Holbrook.'*
Mariesta D. Howland.
Julia Holbrook.*
Mary R. Jenkins.*
Hulda B. Loud.*
Maria F. Lowell.
Those marked with an asterisk (" :
for school committee.

Hartsuff Post, No. 74, 6. A. R., was chartered
Jan. 11, 18G9, upon application of Charles L. Rice,
Josiah Soule, Jr., Wesley Gurney, B. V. Bennett,
Nelson Lowell, Elijah Thompson, George H. Hunt,
Nathan A. Beal, Josiah W. Lane, and Joel Crowell,
they being authorized by department headquarters to
form an encampment.

At the first meeting a large number made applica-
tion for admission to membership, and there has been
a steady increase until there have been mustered two
hundred soldiers and sailors from all branches of the
service, both the army and navy, though the larger
number of recruits came from the Third, Twelfth,
Thirty-eighth, Forty-third, and Sixtieth Regiments of
Infantry.

The first officers chosen were Charles L. Rice, C. ;
Josiah Soule, Jr., S. V. C. ; John II. Harper, J. V.
C. ; George H. Hunt, Adjt.; J. S. Gray, Q.M ;
Wesley Gurney, Q.M.-Sergt. ; II. II. Reed, Sergt.-
Maj., who were installed Jan. 18, 1869, by Capt. C.
W. Thompson, assistant adjutant-general of the de-
partment.

The name of Hartsuff Post 74 was adopted in
honor of Gen. George L. Hartsuff, who commanded
the brigade to which the Twelfth Massachusetts be-
longed. He was a West Point graduate and had
served in the regular army in the Florida war, a brave
officer, and one who won the respect and love of all
under his command.

From the formation of the encampment it has been
the endeavor of the comrades to carry out the three
grand principles of the order, fraternity, charity, and
loyalty, particularly the two former, as a glance at
the figures furnished by the relief committee will
show.

The total receipts have been seven thousand dollars,



HISTORY OF ROCKLAND.



529



29,


1869.


5,


1870.


24,


1873.


16,


1875.


28,


1875.


1,


1876.


25,


1876.


19,


1876.


28,


1877.


IS,


1877.


29,


1877.


14,


1878.


30


IS7S.


27


1878.


8,


1879.


12


1880.


14


1881.


\-:


1881.


12


ISS2.


8


1882.


20


1 882.


12


1882.



six thousand of which has been carefully expended in
rendering assistance to soldiers and sailors, whether
menibets of the order or not, in their hour of sick-
ness or distress, and in caring for their families when
necessary until they were self-supporting.

This relief-fund has been raised from time to time
by holding fairs and entertainments, and in this con-
nection loo much praise canuot be given to the citi-
zens of Rockland, who have ever taken a lively inter-
est in the organization, and have heartily supported
every enterprise which would add to the relief-fund.

The ladies have also been earnest workers in the
cause, forming themselves iuto a Grand Army Sewing
Circle, which has been of great benefit socially and
financially to the post. First and foremost iu every
good work, in this they have been especially active.

Sinue 18U9 death has often visited their ranks, and
some twenty-two comrades have been called by the
great Captain to be mustered iuto the ranks of the
higher encampment. The roster is as follows :



Gideon B. Phillips Aug.

dipt. Josiab Soulo, Jr Oct.

James 11. Studley April

.l-i. [i A. Johnson May

Zcuas Stniih Aug.

J..lm C. llebberd Feb.

N ...ili Freeman Feb.

Waller M. Heal June

Charles F. Illy Jan.

Elijah Estes April

Patrick Donovan June

Jerouio Sbaw Jan.

Wesley tiurney March

llcury Warner May

Leiunler Torrey April

Lemuel Jenkins Aug.

Herbert M. Loud Feb.

Albert Smith April

H« uben L. Baker Jan.

Nathan S. Jenkins April

It. J. Hughes May



Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 116 of 118)