D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) Hurd.

History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) online

. (page 117 of 118)
Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 117 of 118)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


(Jeorge W. Stoddard Sept.



It is a sad thought connected with the order that
sooner or later it must of necessity become extinct.
As the comrades gather each year to strew those
flowers of affection ou their dead comrades' graves,
they are reuiiudcd by the increasing number of those
little flags, so significant in tlieir meaning, that they
too will soon be called to the encampment of the
great Commander, but if by their example the observ-
ance of Decoration-day be fully established, the Grand
Army will have accomplished a work which shall be
felt lor all coming time, for a purer patriotism and
stronger devotion to country must be the result of
such observance.

The present otlicers are as follows: Isaac Hopkins,

C ; A. II. Baker, S. V. C. ; Charles II. French,

J. V. C; J. II. Harper, Q.M. ; W. E. Foster,

Q.M.-Sergt. ; J. Looby, adjt. ; George II. Iluut,

34



Chapl. ; L. A. Swaine, Segt.-Maj. ; Silas Gurucy,
Surg.

Some of the members of the post have a realizing
sense of the horrors of Andersonville, Florence, Libby
Prison, and Belle Isle, among whom were Comrades
John H. Harper, Darius Everson, and John Avery,
who remained in Andersonville ten, six, and eleven
months respectively. It is a subject, even now, upon
which they do uot care to talk, their lives being
saved only as by a miracle, so exhausted and emaci-
ated were they by the inhuman treatment there re-
ceived. Others were confiued at different prisons,
but were fortunately paroled after a short confine-
ment.

The St. Alphonsus Total Abstinence and Benev-
olent Society. — On Nov. 26, 187U, a meeting of
those interested in the formation of a Catholic Total
Abstinence Society was called to meet in St. Bridget's
Church, Abington. About two hundred and fifty
persons responded, and, as a result, the above-named
society was formally organized on Dec. 4, 1870. At
this time the Catholic parish of Abington included
what are now the towns of Abington, South Abing-
ton, and Rockland, and although but a small propor-
tion of the members belonged iu Abington, it was
deemed best to hold the meetings monthly iu the old
town house, and at an early date we find it recorded
that a vote of thanks be extended to the town officers
for the free use of that edifice. It was not a great
while before it was found difficult to get the members
together from such great distances, and after struggling
along for about five years it was decided to remove to
Rockland, where rooms were secured in the Union
Company's building, and after meeting there for a
year they removed to the old hotel, where the society
opened a reading-room and gymnasium, where they
remained until it was found necessary to remove the
building to make way for the new church which was
afterwards built on that site.

It was now decided to build a hall to meet the in-
creasing demands of the society, and after becoming
incorporated, June 30, 1882, the erection of their
present hall was commenced.

Temperance Hall, which was opened to the public
Thanksgiving-day, 1882, is situated on the east side
of Union Street, ouly a few rods north of the depot.
The first floor is occupied by the members as a read-
ing room, and also as a place of social enjoyment,
where all kinds of innocent amusements are always
iu order. Adjoining the first room on this flour, and
conuected with it by folding-doors, is the gymnasium,
which is fitted up with all the latest appliances for
physical culture. On the upper floor, which is reached



530



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



by two flights of stairs situated on the right and left
of the front entrance, is the main hull, seventy by
forty-five feet, and a seating capacity of five hundred,
with a splendid stage, auterootus, etc., which is used
by the society for lectures, meetings, and sociables.
The society is at present in a flourishing condition,
having one hundred and fifty members on the roll, all
interested in carrying out the objects for which the
society was incorporated, — " The Promotion of Tem-
perance iu this Commonwealth and Charity and Be-
nevolence amongst its Members."

Hatherly Lodge, No. 699, K. of H., was insti-
tuted July 16, 1877, by C. H. Eaton, agent for Su-
preme Lodge. Charter members : Leonard Whiting,
W. B. Studley, William Douglas, E. W. Whiting,
J. S. Poole, C. A. Townseud, J. C. Gleason, M.D.,
George H. Ryder, W. G. Ball, G. E. Donham, L. W.
Easton, G. C. Sherman, Daniel Purcell, C. W. Mit-
chell, Isaac Hopkins, M. V. B. Block, Leander Tor-
rey, Albert Culver, A. P. Kelley, Rev. A. W. West-
gate, C. L. Rice, John Mann, Jr., Gideon Studley,
Jr. Lost by death and otherwise, five; present
number of members, sixty-two. Officers: J. Looby,
D. ; C. A. Townsend, Treas. ; C. W. Mitchell, R. ;
L. W. Easton, P. R.

Rockland Encampment, No. 55, I. 0. 0. F., was
instituted March 2, 1883, by E. Bentley Young,
Grand Patriarch. Charter members (and first board
of elective officers): Albert J. Mender, 0. P.; Lu-
ther W. Easton, PI. P. ; Charles W. Mitchell, S. W. ;
Henry E. Fuller, S. ; Leonard Whiting, Treas.;
Charles H. Lane, J. W. Present number of mem-
bers, fifty-two. Present board of elective officers:
A. C. Duncan, C. P. ; J. L. Burrell, S. W. ; A. W.
Clapp, Treas. ; William W. Curtis, EL P. ; S A. Hunt,
S. ; A. Josselyu, F. S. ; J. Looby, J. W.

Standish Lodge, No. 177, I. 0. 0. F., was insti-
tuted Oct. 6, 1876, by Horace W. Stickuey, Grand
Master. Charter members: J. C. Gleason, M.D.,
C. W. Mitchell, Leonard Whiting, P. R. Curtis, C. K.
Witherell, C. A. Townsend, W. F. Hunt, D. H. Ever-
son, N. B. Ellis, E. W. Whiting, Leander Torrey,
J. H. Harper, George C. Soule, Henry M. Wade,
Jeremiah Looby, W. II. Ilcbbard, C. A. Hebbard,
S. D. Whiting, W. C. Curtis. Lost by death and
otherwise, six ; present number of members, eighty-
eight. Elective officers : EL T. Smith, N. G. ; G. E.
Donham, R. Sec. ; W. F. Hunt, V. G. ; J. B. Ilersey,
Treas. ; Daniel Purcell, Per. Sec.

The East Abington Savings-Bank was incor-
porated in March, 1868. The original members were
Sumner Shaw, Franklin Poole,* Washington Reed,*
Charles H. Dill (2d), James M. Underwood,* Gideon



Studley,* J. J. Estes, Elijah Shaw, Charles W. Tor-
rey, Levi Reed.* R. J. Lane, Zenas M Lane, Amos
S. Reed, Isaiah Jenkins,* Alonzo Lane, Leonard Blau-
chard, George B. Clapp, Brainerd Gushing, Micuh II.
Poole,* Zenas Jenkins, Josiah Soule, Jr.,* Walter B.
Studley, E R. Studley, Jenkins Lane,* S. II. Dawes*
David Torrey, E. P. Torrey, Henry B. Arnold, Cor-
nelius Daly, Van Buren Grover, Cyrus Poole, Edwin
W. Whiting, Abner Curtis,* Joseph Perry.

Those marked with a * have since deceased.

At the first meeting, held May 11, 186S, Sumner
Shaw was chosen presideut, Richmond J. Lane was
chosen vice-president, and Zenas Jenkins was ap-
pointed treasurer, and the bank was opened for de-
posits on the 23d of May, 1868, at the railroad sta-
tion, Mr. Jenkins being then station agent. This
arrangement continued till October, 18G9, when Mr.
Jenkins resigned as treasurer, and Walter B. Studley
succeeded him, and the hank was moved to .Mr. Stud-
ley's store. The deposits at this time were about
forty eight thousand dollars. Iu 1872, Richmond J.
Lane succeeded Mr. Shaw as president, and Franklin
Poole became vice-president. Mr. Poole continued in
his office until his death. Mr. Lane still continues as
president.

The incorporation of Rockland in 1874 led to a
change iu the name of the bank. This was done by
au act of the Legislature, passed Feb. 11, 1875.

Another change iu the office of treasurer was
made in April, 1876. Mr. W. B. Studley having
resigued, E. R. Studley was appointed in his place |
and the bank took a room in Underwood block, where
it has remained since. The bank has had a steady
growth, and at present has a deposit account of four
hundred and twenty-six thousaud dollars.

An effort to establish a church in East Abington
(Rockland) was made in 1726. Between that date
and 1812 several attempts were made to the same
end, but were defeated through tin: opposition of the
town. When, however, the South Parish had been
successful iu being set off (1807), and Rev. Samuel
Niles, pastor of the First Church, had been laid aside
by paralysis, it was felt that the time for success had
come. A number therefore gathered on Fast-day,
1812, aud determined to go forward to the establish-
ment of the Third Church of Abington. The place
of this gathering was then a rocky pasture, surrounded
by woods, now the most central and thickly-settled
portion of the town. The next July, ou this spot,
were laid the fouodalious of a church edifice.

Congregational Church. — 1813 was a notable
year iu the history of the church. August 27th it
was organized. The organization took place in a



HISTORY OF ROCKLAND.



531



private house, and the new body consisted of four-
teen members. August 28th it was voted to call a
pastor, and Rev. L. W. Colburn was chosen. Octo-
ber 27th the meeting-house was dedicated, and the
first pastor iuducted into his sacred office.

The day after the church was organized a meeting
was held, at which it was voted to call Rev. Samuel
W. Colburn. He accepted, and was installed the
day of the dedication, 27th of October, 1813. Mr.
Colburn's ministry here closed March 31, 1830.

Dec. 24. 1S30, a call was extended to Rev. Lucius
Aldcn. After an active pastorate of nearly two years
Mr. Alden was installed, Dec. 5, 1832. His labors iu
this place closed June 27, 1843. On the 11th of
December, 1843, it was voted to invite Mr. H. D.
Walker to the pastorate. The ordination took place
Feb. 15, 1844, and Mr. Walker's work as pastor was
terminated Oct. 31, 1867. Duriug the ucxt eight
years the church was without a settled pastor.

Rev. Jesse H. Jones was acting pastor about two
years, Rev. Cyrus Wallace, D.D., about the same
length of time, and Rev. Joseph Cook nearly a year.

Oct. 5, 1875, Rev. A. W. Westgate was installed
pas-tor, and continued in that position until October,
1879.

Rev. L. Z. Ferris began that same mouth to sup-
ply the pulpit, and was installed as pastor June '24,
1880.

During the pastorate of Rev. Mr. Colburn — the
" years of foundation" — thirty-four members united
with the church. In the thirteen years of Rev. Mr.
Alden's ministry more than a hundred were added,
of whom about forty were received iu 1832. The
accession while Rev. Mr. Walker was pastor was one
hundred aud eighty-three. Seventy persons united
with the church in 1857.

During the time the church was without a settled
pastor ninety-seven came into its etimmunion.

Under Rev. Mr. Westgate's pastoral care about
forty became members.

The number of members the first Sabbath of 1884
was two huudred and sixty.

During this increase in numbers changes had been
made in various directions. The first house of wor-
ship was enlarged and greatly improved in 1837 ;
but at the eud of another twenty years this house
was removed, and (1857) the preseut spacious struc-
ture was erected.

The charitable contributions have increased as the
years have passed, and in 1883 were nearly thirteen
huudred dollars. This same year the expenses
amounted to two thousand four hundred dollars,
while a debt which had been accumulating for several



decades, and amounting to two thousand two hundred
dollars, was wiped away.

The Sabbath-school, of which the senior deacon of
the church, R. J. Lane, Esq., has been superin-
tendent more than twenty years, numbered, in the
aggregate, Jan. 1, 1884, two hundred and eighty-
three. And it may be said, in closing, that this year
(1883) has also been marked in its accessions to the
number of the church, especially from the Sabbath-
school.

Methodist Episcopal Church. — The First Meth-
odist Episcopal Church of Rockland, theu East Abing-
i ton, was built in 1832, through the efforts of Rev.
' John Bailey, who served as pastor at that time. It
I was situated on the north side of Webster Street, near
the Hanover line. The membership consisted of
seven persons. The first Methodist sermon in this
towu of which there is any record was preached by
Rev. John Adams, in the house of David Gushing,
in 1824.

" Father" Cushiug, as he was familiarly known,

may be considered the father of Methodism in what is

now known as Rockland. He was couvertcd in 1826,

at Truro camp-meeting, and on his return he engaged

< Rev. Samuel Thompkius and Rev. William R. Stone

I to preach in East Abiugton twice a month. Their

j labors were followed by others, but the fist regular

pastorate was in 1830-33, by Rev. John Bailey.

In 1833-34, Rev. Thomas Gile was the stationed

preacher. About this time East Abiugton aud East

Randolph were formed into a "circuit."

In 1834—36, Rev. Richard Livesey was appointed
by Conference, and duriug his pastorate East Abing-
ttm again became an independent charge.

In 1836-37, Rev. E. B. Bradford was pastor.
Rev. George W. Bates, pastor iu 1837-38, reported
a membership of eighty five, the largest membership
ever reported in the history of this church.

In 1838-39, East Abington and Pembroke were
united iu a " circuit," with Rev. Audrew J. Cope-
land preacher in charge.

In 1839—10, Rev. Increase Bigelow was appointed
to the charge.

In 1840-41, Rev. Otis Wilder served the church,
and was followed by Rev. Nathan Rice, who closed
his pastorate in 1843.

Iu 1843—14 the charge was without a regular
pastor. Rev. S. G. Usher served from 1844-45.

Then followed an interval of fourteen years in
which no preacher was appointed ; but the society
was served irregularly by those who were available.
During this interval the church building was con-
sumed by fire.



532



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



Iu 1859 the church entered upon what may be
called its second epoch, in what is known as the " Old
Congregational Church," furnished by Abner Curtis.
Rev. Henry D. Robinson, pastor at this time, reported
a membership of sixteen.

Rev. Joseph Marsh served the people in 1860-62.
The church attain entered upon a period of reverses,
and no preacher was appointed by Conference for a
number of years; but, true to the genius uf Meth-
odism, the church agaiu revived, and in 1871-72
the present church building was erected at a cost of
nine thousand dollars, of which five thousand five
hundred dollars were paid at the time.

Rev. C. S. Nutter, of the Boston University School
of Theology, served the church at this time.

In 1872-75, Rev. George H. Bates was appointed
to the charge, and during his pastorate fourteen hun-
dred and forty-five dollars were paid on the debt.

Rev. George T. Oliver, a studeut of the Boston
University School of Theology, served the church in
1S75-76.

Rev. W. F. Steele was appointed to the charge in
1876-77, and was succeeded by Rev. S. H. Day, who
served till 1878.

Rev. Oliver A. Curtis, a student of the Boston
University School of Theology, was appointed to the
charge in 1878-80.

Rev. R. E. Buckey, a student from the same insti-
tution, served the church from 1880-81, and was
succeeded by Rev. S. F. Harriman in 1881-82.

Rev. George H. Trever, also a student of the
School of Theology, was appointed to the charge in
1882-83, who was succeeded by Rev. W. E. Kugler.
Iu 1884, the present year, Rev. E. N. Kirby was
appointed pastor of the church. It is confidently
expected that within a few months the old debt of
two thousand dollars will be paid, as a large part of
it, early iu the year, has already been subscribed.
Then it is hoped the church will enter upon its period
of greatest usefulness.

Baptist Church. — Early in the year 1S54 the
Baptists of East Abington aud vicinity begun to meet
for public worship in a hall which they engaged for
the purpose. Through the influence and offered as-
si>tance of Deacon George W. Chipnian, of Boston,
the Baptists of the town organized on May 1, 1854,
a church to be called the " East Abington Baptist
Church." The church at the time of its organization
numbered twenty-two members. Rev. Horace T.
Love was the first pastor of the little flock, and
during his short pastorate of less than one year aud
a half the church more than doubled. A council
called by the newly-organized body recognized it as a



regularly-constituted Baptist Church. The growth
of the church was so vigorous that at the aouual
meeting held March 13, 1855, it was voted to build
a house of worship, and steps were at once taken to
raise the money necessary for the purpose. Iu De-
cember, 1855, a contract was made to construct a
house whose cost should be five thousand dollars, and
it was dedicated Sept. 4, 1856.

The church has enjoyed a good degree of pros-
perity. Siuce its first year it has been blessed with
several revivals. The two most important may be the
one which occurred in the winter of 1S57, and the
other which occurred in the spring of 1884. The
first, when Rev. A. B. Earle labored in the town, was
perhaps the most extensive revival during the history
of the church. The second occurred when Evangel-
ist C. C. Luther conducted a series of meetings which
continued for fifty-two consecutive evenings, and re-
sulted in quickening of the church and in adding to
its membership a good number of converts. In the
period elapsing from May 1, 1854, to the present
time (June, 1884) the church has grown from a
membership of twenty-two to a membership of one
hundred and ninety.

At the time of writing the financial condition of
the church is healthful, and all current expeuses are
promptly paid. Au effort, which will probably be
successful, is now being made to raise two thousand
dollars, the amount which is necessary to pay the debt
of the church and make external repairs and im-
provements.

The church has had ten pastors, whose names and
times of service are as follows : Rev. Horace T.
Love, May, 1854, to June, 1855; Rev. N. P. Ev-
erett, December, 1855, to March, 1857 ; Rev. W. S.
McKenzie, January, 1857, to July, ls58; Rev. J.
D. Chaplin, October, 1858, to April, 1862 : Rev.
Serreno Howe, July, 1862, to May, 1867 ; Rev. J. H.
Hamblin, July, 1868, to September, 1872 ; Rev. J.
R. Chase, November, 1872, to October, 1874; Rev.
L. D. Fitz, Jauuary, 1875, to December, 1878; Rev.
A. Barnelle, April, 1870, to September, 1SS1 ; and
Rev. A. E. Woodsum, called April, 1882, i> the
present pastor.

A Unitarian Church has recently been funned.
It is a thrifty society, and is at present meeting iu a
hall. It has uo permanent pastor, but is supplied
from Sabbath to Sabbath. This society hopes soon
to erect a church edifice and secure a permanent
pastor.

Church of the Holy Family.— The Catholic
Church of Rockland is of so recent origin that its
history must of necessity be very brief. Rockluud



J*.



pW&k til

1 jnfck i|










&^/^^ffi^&_^



HISTORY OF ROCKLAND.



533



was until quite recently included in the Abington
Parish, aud the Catholic population attended church
there; but they became so numerous that about three
years ago they began to build a church of their own.
The building is of brick, and is doubtless the most
imposing and expensive church edifice to be found iu
Southeastern Massachusetts outside of a city. The
upper part of the house is not at present completed,
but when it is finished the entire cost will be fifty
thousand dollars. The situation of this church is
very protuiucut and central, aud the edifice is a great
ornament to the town.

The services are held in the vestry of the church
at present, and the congregation usually numbers about
eight hundred. The Catholic population of the town
is seventeen hundred. Rockland and Hanover con-
stitute one parish, which is under the spiritual care
of the Rev. Father Tiemey. Father Tierney came
to Rockland in Juue, 1883. His people are very
much attached to him, and he is working most heartily
for their spiritual and moral welfare.

Graduates. — Elliot Holbrook, 1874, graduated iu
the course iu civil engineering with the title of S.B.

Cyrus B. Collin!, Rocklund 1878

Arthur W. Wheeler. Auibcrst 1879

James E. Thomas, Harvard 1879

Charles \V. Holbrook. Amherst 1S8U

Juuiiittu T.Wright, Uoukhind 1S82

Grace E. Cooper, Rockland 1883

Viola L. Poole, Rockland 1884

Maria Guy von, Rockland 1884

Harry C. Shaw, Harvard 1884

Albeit A. Beat, Tufts 1884

The town officers for the present year are as follows:
Town Clerk and Treasurer, Ezekiel R. Studley ; Select-
men, Assessors, Overseers of the Poor, and Fence-
Viewers, Charles Bearce, William Forbes, Edwin
Mulready; School Committee (three years), Mari-
esta D. Howland ; Surveyors of Highways, Henry

A. Baker, Horace M. Hunt, James A. Monroe;
Constables, George F. Wheeler, Owen Maguire,
Thomas F. Kendrigan, Andrew J. Mausur, Horatio

B. Burgess, John McMorrow, Joseph P. Campbell,
William S. Perham, Elbridge V. Wheeler; Field-
Drivers, Francis Wade, George C. Dunbar ; Trustees
of Public Library, Sarah A. Donham, Chester M.
Perry ; Auditors, William H. Bates, John Sullivan,
J. S. Smith ; Board of Health, J. C. Gleason, C. S.
Millet, Franklin Poole.

The population of Rockland is now about 5000 ;
valuation, $2,238,850 ; number of polls, 1347.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



FRANKLIN POOLE.

Franklin Poole descended from Edward Poole, of
Weymouth, who, it is supposed, came to that town
from England about the year 1635, the exact date
being somewhat uucertain. John, the grandfather of
Franklin, was born in Weymouth in 1743, and mar-
ried Sarah Clark, of Braintree, in 1769 or 1770, and
the same year came to East Abington, and built a
house on what is now known as Liberty Street, which
is still standing in good repair and inhabited.

Micah, the son of John, and the father of the sub-
ject of this sketch, was the second in a family of eight
children, and was born April 3, 1772, and married
Nabby Holbrook, of Weymouth.

He was a man of marked prominence and influence
iu his native town for many years, being one of the
selectmen eleven years, from 1813, and represented
the town in the State Legislature seven years. David
Poole, his brother, was remarkable for his musical
aud mathematical abilities. He, in conjunction with
a friend, once published a volume of church music
and some of his compositions were surreptitiously pub"
lished in an old Handel and Haydn collection, and
were popular for many years. He composed the
anthem which was sung at his own funeral, and it has
since been used several times upon similar occasions.
He also correctly made all the astronomical calcula-
tions for an almanac, which embraced the time for
nearly twenty years.

Frauklin was born Sept. 29, 1811, in that part of
Abington which is now Rockland, and was the eighth
in a family of twelve children. He was educated in
the public schools of the town and at Andover, and
for several years followed school-teaching as a business
apart of the time, workingduring the iutervals between
schools at shoemaking, which then, as now, was the
principal business of the town. He earned at that
time small wages, compared with the prices paid for
labor at the same business at the present time. He
was one of those men who all his life possessed the
happy faculty of making a balauce upou the right side
of the ledger at the end of the year, uo matter what
the income. Iu short, he could keep his expenses
within his income, believing that course to be the
financial road to comfort and happiness.

He married Ann Sargent, daughter of Joseph Allen
Sargent, of Wells, Me., June 5, 1836, who was a
woman of remarkable energy and ability, and con-
tributed her full share in laying the fouudation for
aud in building up the fortune which, through the



534



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTS.



most honest and houorable means only, they gathered
about them. He always seemed to recognize and
fully appreciate the great help he received from the
superior management and frugality of his wife. She
died suddenly April 16, 1878.

To this marriage four children were born, — Carrie,
born July 2G, 1837, was educated at Middleboro'
and at Blount Holyokn Seminary, and was a successful
teacher. She married James F. Claflin, a teacher of
Newton, Mass., and finally settled in Lombard. 111.
She died at Grand Island, Neb., Nov. 3, 1S75, while
on her way home from California, where she had been
endeavoring to regain her failing health. Her sou
and only child, William, is a graduate of Amherst
College, in the class of 1883.

Charles Follen was born Sept. 13, 1830, and died
July 26, 1840.

Benjamin F. was born June 13, 1842, was educated
in the public schools of the town, and from boyhood



Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 117 of 118)