D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) Hurd.

History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) online

. (page 51 of 118)
Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 51 of 118)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cotton-factory on the Weweantit River, where all the
improvements of the day were introduced and put
into successful operation, but the company soon be-
came embarrassed, and in 1830 the factory passed into
other hands and was carried on for a while by Ezra
Thompson & Co.

In 1S24, Pardon Tabor built a paper-mill on the
Weweantit River, which was kept in operation for
many years.

About the year 18C4, Wheelwright & Co. engaged
in the manufacture of paper where B. Lincoln and
others had formerly carried on the cotton business.
For a series of years the product of their mill was
large, and they gave employment to many. There
being some dissatisfaction about their lease, they re-
moved their business to another part of the State, and
the manufacture of paper ceased to be one of the in-
dustries of Warehatu.

Staves. — All the nail casks used in Wareham and
vicinity for many years were made by Lewis Kinney,
Esq., who was the owner of the patent right for using
the cylinder saw. His stave-mill was built on the
Weweantit River, about half a mile above Tabor's
paper-mill, and is operated at the present time by his
graudson, Charles L. Kinney. Mr. Kinney, together
with several other persons, tried various projects to
make staves by machinery, aud, after intense thought
and many experiments, in 1829 they succeeded in
sawing the staves. They next invented one machine
to shape them, and another to cut and shave the
heading, all of which is done with great precision and
speed, so that the manufacturer has nothing to do but
shave his hoops and lock them, and then put the dif- I
fereut parts together, each of which is sure to fit.
Mr. Kinney built many other mills in this and other
States, and the invention has proved very useful to
the public.

Salt. — During the Revolutionary war, when salt
was iu great demaud, the citizens of this town en-
gaged largely in manufacturing this article by boiling
sea- water. This they did at the following places, viz. :
Pig's Point, the point near where Leonard's Salt- Works
subsequently stood, Nobska, Barney's Poiut, Little
Harbor, Griffeu's Field, Tom's Narrows, Henry's
Creek, Old Pan, and the east and west side of Muddy
Cove. At each of these places they boiled the sea-
water in large kettles set in stone or brick, under
which they burnt wood, and made from thirty to forty
bushels a week at each place for about six months in



each year during the war. Salt at that time sold at
the works for a dollar a bushel, silver money, all the
works yielding an income of eight thousand one hun-
dred aud forty dollars per annum. As souu as salt
could be obtained from abroad these works were
abandoned. About the year 1806 or 1807 the
making of salt by evaporation in vats was commenced
in this town by Asa and Hallet Swift. They built
about four thousand feet on Asa Swift's farm. When
the price of salt rose during the war of 1S12, Na-
thaniel Doty built fifteen hundred feet (a foot of salt-
works is about ten square feet) upon Quasuit, and
Hallet Swift built one thousand feet at Pig's Poiut.
From 1821 to 1826, Abraham Gibbs built one thou-
sand feet; Stephen Swift, five hundred feet; Peter
Smith, one thousand feet ; Ichabod Leonard, two
thousand feet; David Nye, fifteen hundred feet;
William Fearing, Esq., two thousand feet ; aud Ben-
jamin Fearing and Stephen Gibbs, one thousand feet.
The larger portion of these works were kept iu opera-
tion for a long series of years, but at the present time
there are none of them in existence.

Whale Fishery. — Some time betweeu the year
1775 aud 17S3 the schooner " Desire," Capt. George
Smith, owned by David Nye, Esq., of Wareham, and
Ebenezer White, of Rochester, hailed from Wareham
as a whaler. In 1790, schoouer "James Banning."
In 1794, schooner " Nabby," Capt. Thomas Gibbs.
In 1816, ship "Enterprise."

Ship "George Washington," Capt. George Gibbs,
sailed Oct. 31, 1832, and arrived home Oct. 19, 1835,
with 2950 barrels sperm-oil.

Ship " George Washington," Capt. George Gibbs,
sailed Jan. 20, 1836, and returned Sept. 27, 1839,
with 2400 barrels sperm-oil.

Ship " George Washington," Capt. Russell, sailed
April 21, 1840, and returned in 1844, with 2200
barrels sperm-oil.

Ship " George Washington," Capt. Russell, sailed
July 26, 1844, and returned Aug. 3, 1847, with 400
barrels sperm-oil, 1600 barrels whale-oil, aud 6000
pounds of bone.

Ship "George Washington," Capt. Benjamin F.
Gibbs, sailed Nov. 17, 1847, and returned March 17,
1850, with 200 barrels sperm-oil, 2S00 barrels whale-
oil, aud 34,000 pounds of bone, and lost 100 barrels
whale-oil in a gale on the passage home.

Ship " George Washington," Capt. Benjamin F.
Gibbs, sailed Aug. 7, 1850, and returned April 24,
1853, with 2513 barrels whale-oil and 27,700 pounds
of bone. Sent home during the voyage 172 barrels
sperm-oil and 13,683 pouuds of bone.

Ship " George Washington," Capt. Granville S.



HISTORY OF WAREHAM.



217



Allen, sailed Aug. 22, 1853 ; sent home 252 barrels
sperm-oil, 5601 pouods of bone.

Ship " George Washington, " Capt. Elihu S. Bright-
man, sailed Oct. 1, 1857, and returned May 18, 1SG1,
with 25 barrels sperm-oil, 900 barrels whale-oil, and
8000 pounds bone. Sent home on the voyage 40
barrels sperm-oil, 169 barrels whale-oil, and 5595
pounds of bone. Sold to Honolulu in 1861.

Bark " Pleiades," Capt. Allen, sailed Oct. 2, 1838,
and returned June, 1840, with 303 barrels of sperm-
oil and 1428 barrels of whale-oil. Bark " Pleiades,"
Capt. Allen, sailed Aug. 15, 1840, and returned
Sept. 11, 1842, with 2032 barrels whale-oil. Bark
"Pleiades," Capt. Russell, sailed Dec. 14, 1842, and
returned Feb. 18, 1845, with 300 barrels sperm-oil,
2000 barrels whale-oil, and 16,000 pounds bone.
Bark " Pleiades," Capt. Russell, sailed June 1, 1S45,
aud returned March 4, 1848, with 900 barrels sperm-
oil, aud 60 barrels whale-oil.

Brig " Inga," sailed June 17, 1839, and returned
Jan. 9, 1840, with 720 barrels sperm-oil.

Brig " Inga." sailed April, 1840, and returned
April 7, 1S41, with 669 barrels sperm-oil and 12
barrels whale-oil. Brig " Inga," sailed June 1, 1841,
and returned April 11, 1842, with 816 barrels
sperm-oil. Brig "Inga," sailed June 21, 1842, and
returned April 9, 1843, with 750 barrels sperm-oil.
Brig " Inga," sailed June 26, 1843, and returned
Nov. 24, 1844, with 830 barrels sperm-oil. Brig
" Inga," sailed March 25, 1845, and returned June
3, 1846, with 750 barrels sperm-oil. Brig " Inga,"
sailed Aug. 10, 1846, aud returned, leaky, Dec. 23,
1847, with 350 barrels sperm-oil.

Thus this small brig of 160 tons, commanded each
voyage by Capt. Elisha G. Cudworth, iu a period of
little more than seven years, brought home nearly
5000 barrels of sperm-oil. When the smallness of
the vessel and the shortness of the voyages are taken
into account, it probably has no parallel in the entire
history of the whale fishery.

This, thus far, lucky craft was sold to New Bedford
in 1848. She sailed from that port May 9, 1848,
for the Indian Ocean, under the command of Capt.
Barnes, and was captured by the natives of Pleasaut
Island, who murdered the captain and nearly all the
crew. This tragic event took place some time in the
month of December, 1852.

Brig •' Meridian," Capt. Ricketson, sailed Oct. 1,
1839, and returned July 27, 1840, with 60 barrels
sperm-oil and 40 barrels whale-oil.

Brig " Meridian," Capt. Russell, sailed July 23,
1841, and returned July 4, 1842, with 40 barrels
sperm-oil.



This brig was withdrawn from the whaling service
in 1842.

Brig " Montezuma," Capt. Randall, sailed June 1,

1840, and returned Oct. 3, 1841, with 413 barrels
sperm-oil and 224 barrels whale-oil.

Brig " Montezuma," Capt. Shiverick, sailed Nov.
27, 1841, aud returned July, 1843, with 400 barrels
sperm-oil.

Brig " Montezuma," Capt. Allen, sailed Aug. 29,

1843, and returned Oct. 25, 1845, with 500 barrels
sperm-oil, 100 ban-els whale-oil, 100 pounds bone.
Sold to New Bedford in 1846.

Brig " America," Capt. Lumbert, sailed July 13,

1841, and returned Oct. 1, 1842, with 450 barrels
sperm-oil, 30 barrels whale-oil, and 18 barrels am-
bergris.

Brig " America," Capt. Bellows, sailed Nov. 23,

1842, and returned May 19, 1844, with 150 barrels
sperm-oil.

Brig " America," Capt. Delano, sailed July 9,

1844, and returned Sept. 20, 1845, with 230 barrels
sperm-oil. Sold to Mattapoisett in 1846.

Bark " Levant," Capt. Allen, sailed Oct. 6, 1842 ;
condemned at Honolulu.

Ship-Building. — In former years, when ship-timber
was abundant, ship-building was carried on in this
town to a considerable extent. The ships " Poca-
hontas," " Jubilee," " Wareham," " Kutusoff,"
" George Washington," i; Republic," the brig " Wil-
liam Richmond," and a large number of smaller
vessels for the coasting trade, were built here.

Oysters. — Wareham oysters have become famous
iu the markets of the world, and although our shores
are skirted with beds of these delicious bivalves (sur-
passed in flavor by none), the demand far exceeds the
supply. The business gives employment to a large
number of men, aud in many instances has proved
largely remunerative.

Wareham Harbor. — The United States govern-
ment has up to this date expended fifty thousand
dollars for the improvement of this harbor, and si ill
grants a small appropriation annually for the same
purpose. Quite a large fleet of vessels is employed
in bringing iron, coal, grain, etc., aud they receive in
return the product of the numerous factories aud
mills. The largest coasting vessels can come direct
to the wharves with but little delay.

Wareham Bank. — This institution was chartered
March 22, 1833, and went into operation the June
following with a capital stock of one hundred thou-
sand dollars. The first board of directors were as
follows : David Nye, Peter Mackie, William Fearing,
Silvanua Bourne, Seth Miller, Jr., Perez F. Briggs,



218



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



Charles C. Ellis, Elisha Perry, William S. Eddy,
Benjamin Ellis, Theophilus Pitcher, Jr., Ezra
Thompson ; David Nye, president ; Thomas R. Miles,
cashier. This bank was reorganized as the National
Bank of Wareham in 1865. The present board
of directors (1884) are Gerard C. Tobey, Alden
Besse, Isaac Pratt, Jr., Horace P. Tobey, William
Savery, Jr. ; Gerard C. Tobey, president ; Thomas R.
Miles, cashier.

Wareham Savings-Bank. — This institution was
chartered March 12, 1847, and organized April 13,
1847.

The first board of trustees were as follows : Lewis
Kinney, Oliver M. Washburn, Theophilus King,
Howard Perry, William S. Fearing, Walton N. Ellis,
Isaac S. Lincoln, Joshua B. Tobey, Abisha Barrows,
James R. Sproat, Thomas R. Miles, John Savery ;
H. G. 0. Ellis, president ; T. R. Miles, cashier.

The present trustees (1884) are Abisha Barrows,
Theophilus King, Thomas R. Miles, Alden Besse,
Jason F. Murdoch, Benjamin F. Gibbs, Caleb C.
Sprague, Gerard C. Tobey, Edward A. Gammons,
Ansel S. Gurney, George F. Wing, Ezra C. Howard ;
Gerard C. Tobey, president ; Thomas R. Miles,
cashier.

It is worthy of remark in this connection that the
now venerable Thomas R. Miles has served as cashier
of the Wareham Bank from the time of its organiza-
tion, in 1833, to the present time (1884), with the
exception of four years. He has also served as cash-
ier of the Wareham Saviugs-Bank during its entire
history, from 1847 to 1884.

He is still found at his post, where he has stood
for nearly half a century, and no business man more
generally receives or more richly merits the appellation
of "good and faithful servant."

Social Organizations. — Social Harmony Lodge,
F. and A. M. The charter of this lodge is dated at
Boston, the 12th day of March, 1823, and is signed
by John Dixwell, Grand Master ; Elijah Crane,
Senior Grand Wardeu ; Samuel Thaxter, Junior
Grand Warden ; and Thomas Power, Grand Secre-
tary. The charter members are Isaac Kimball,
Calvin Murdock, Alanson Witherell, Jabez Williams,
John N. Pierce, Jeremiah Keith, Jr., George Stur-
tevant, Timothy Drew, Avery Fobes, Philip Colby,
and Job Alden, Jr.

On the 26th day of March, 1823, six of the
above-named brethren met at the Academy Hall, in
Middleboro', and proceeded to organize the lodge,
with Isaac Kimball, Worshipful Master ; Jabez Wil-
liams, Senior Warden ; and Alanson Witherell, Junior
Warden. Visiting brothers James W. Crossman,



Samuel Caswell, Jr., and John A. Sturtevant, from
Kiug David Lodge, Taunton, were present, and as-
sisted them in setting the lodge at work. A lodge
of Entered Apprentices was opened, and Daniel
Thomas and Hercules Thomas had the honor of being
the first candidates proposed.

Candidates began to present themselves in large
numbers. Twenty meetings were held before the
year 1823 had closed. For several years the lodge
seemed to have a steady and healthy growth. But,
beginning with the year 1828, when the anti-Mason
storm was raging furiously throughout New England,
the number of members present at the meetings began
to decrease. But a lively interest in Masonry was
still manifested by the few faithful members of the
lodge in Middleboro', and in Wareham there were
some so bold as to petition the Grand Lodge for a
charter of a new lodge to be established at that place.
The plan was finally formed of uniting their forces
and moving their lodge to Wareham. This was
deemed preferable to having two lodges so near each
other, neither of which might be able to receive the
necessary support.

At a meeting held Sept. 6, 1828, it was " voted to
memorialize the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge for
the purpose of having this lodge removed to the
town of Wareham." At the same meeting eight
Masons were proposed for membership and were ad-
mitted at the uext meeting, September 23d. Five of
them were from Wareham, viz., E. W. Ilervey,
Charles C. Ellis. George W. Christie, Thomas Savery,
and Seth Keith. The first meeting held in Wareham
was during the month of January, 1829.

From the records of this meetiug it appears that
the Rev. Jonathan Nye was instrumental in having
the lodge removed from Middleboro : to Wareham,
for the lodge voted to pay him twelve dollars for his
services before the Grand Lodge in effecting the
change.

At a meeting held Sept. 8, 1829, was done the last
work of which there is any record until the reorgani-
zation of the lodge in 1856. At a special meeting
held Dec. 2, 1829, it was voted to remove Social
Harmony Lodge to Thomas Savery's, in Agawam
(East Wareham), and George L. Oakes was author-
ized to make an agreement with Thomas Savery for
the use of his hall for Masonic purposes. Exactly
what transpired after the meeting of Dec. 2, 1829,
cannot be learned. Those who were then members
have all passed away. No records of any proceed-
ings are to be found in the secretary's book, nor do
the records of the Grand Lodge throw much light ou
the history of that period.



HISTORY OF WAREHAM.



219



In the early part of 1855 a dispensation was '
granted by the Grand Lodge, and on the 30th day of
May was held the first meeting of the new lodge,
which was called Agawani Lodge. They continued
to work under dispensation until March of the next
year, when it was discovered that if enough of the
old members of Social Harmony Lodge could be
found the charter of that lodge would be restored.
They were found, a petition was sent to the Grand
Lodge, and the charter restored.

Brother Henry Boyd, who -had been intrusted with
the duty of presenting the petition, received from
the hands of the Grand Secretary the much-coveted
charter and records, and proceeded with them at ince
to Middleboro', where, on the 19th of June, 1856,
Brothers Hercules Thomas, Benjamin Leonard, and
Thomas Savery, three of the signers of the petition,
opened a Master Mason's lodge under the restored
charter. The following brethren were proposed and
admitted : Henry Boyd, William A. Caswell, Nathan
W. Shedd, Charles W. Harris, William H. Borden;
Samuel T. T. Sherman, James F. Lincoln, William
T. Leach, Lewis D. Perry, and Rufus Lincoln (2d).

The names of the Past Masters are as follows :
Isaac Kimball, Isaac Stevens, Jabez Williams, Eliph-
alet W. Hervey, John M. Kinney, Henry Boyd,
William H. Borden, James G. Sproat, Nicholas J.
Sherman, Edward A. Gammons, George F. Wing,
John M. Besse, Joseph Jessup, John Huxtablc,
Frank W. Kingman.

The officers for the present year (1884) are as fol-
lows : W. M., Gilford H. G. McGrew; S. W., George
H. Griffin; J. W., John T. Gait; Treas., William
A. Caswell ; Sec, Edward A. Gammons ; S. D., John
M. Besse; J. D„ Benjamin H. Cornwell; Chap.,
Hiram W. Barrows; M., Hial Barney; S. S., George
W. Warr ; J. S., Adams B. L. Howard ; I. S., Frauk
W. Gibbs ; Tyler, Charles R. Reeves.

Independent Order of Odd-Fellows. — Wankin-
quoah Lodge, No. 119, was organized March 23,
1847, and flourished for several years, but after a
while, in the fluctuations of Odd-Fellowship, it weak-
ened and died.

May 1, 1878, this lodge was reorganized, and at
the present time is in a flourishing condition. The
names of those who have served as Noble Grand since
the reorganization are as follows : John G. Gammons,
Wallace Snow, Clarence H. Stuart, Charles W. Clark,
Harvey Crocker, Angus Nicholson, Seth H. Shurtleff.

The present officers are: N. G., Robert T. Delano;
V. G., Conrad A. Covill ; Sec, William E. Loring;
Treas., Clarence H.Stuart; Per. Sec, William C.
Davis ; Warden, C. W. Clark ; Con., H. F. Babcock ;



0. G., E. L. Crocker; I. G., C. H. Sanford ; R. S.
to N. G., William H. Cowen ; L. S. to N. G., George
P. Bolles ; R. S. to V. G., B. S. Keyes ; L. S. to
V. G., E. F. Norris; R. S. S., C. H. Barrett; L. S.
S., A. L. Seaver; Chaplain, S. W. Nickerson.

Knights of Honor. — Wareham Lodge, No. 1003,
was organized April 1, 1878. The Past Dictators
have been James G. Sproat, Israel B. Bolles, Fred-
erick A. Sawyer, Joseph I. W. Burgess, Samuel J.
Townsend, Herbert Randall.

The present officers are: D., George P. Bolles ; V.
D., Henry F. Babcock ; A. D., Robert T. Delano ;
O, William J. Kane: G., Jotham Goodnow ; Re-
porter, A. R. Gurney; F. R. S., Samuel J. Town-
send; Treas., Joseph I. W. Burgess; Guardian,
Orrin L. Waters ; Sentinel, Robert C. Randall.

American Legion of Honor. — Everett Council,
No. 412, was organized Feb. 8, 1881. The Past Com-
manders have been Joseph Jessup, Rufus Liucoln,
James H. Allen. The present officers are : Com.,
George F. Wing; V. Com., N. B. B. Besse; Sec,
William H. Fearing; Treas., Rufus Lincoln; Orator,
John T. Gait; Chaplaio, Noble W. Everett; Trus-
tees, Seth C. Morse, Edward A. Gammons, N. W.
Everett; Guardian, John W. Benson, Jr.; Warden,
Joseph Jessup ; Sentinel, Archibald Dakin.

Sons of Temperance.— Warehaui Division, No.
108, S. of T., was organized May 4, 1848. Surren-
dered charter Dec. 27, 1871.

Sparkling Water Division, No. 151, S. of T., West
Wareham, was organized Jan. 10, 1860. Surren-
dered charter Oct. 23, 1868.

Agawam Division, No. 125, S. of T., East Ware-
ham, was organized May 12, 1863. Surrendered
charter March 30, 1867.

There was also a lodge of Good Templars that
flourished for a series of years.

These organizations did grand work for the cause
of temperance, especially the first named, which
maintained an active existence for nearly a quarter of
a century. Its charter members were mostly young
men full of zeal aud energy, whose hearts were in
the work, and they spared neither time nor money in
extending the interests of the Division. Many con-
firmed drunkards were reformed who proved a bless-
ing to their families, and were good citizens the re-
mainder of their lives. Financial help was freely
given to the families of the needy, and many a " God
bless you 1" did the members of Wareham Division,
No. 108, receive, as they tenderly cared for the sick
and dying. Deaths and removals finally caused the
surrender of the charter, but the work performed will
live forever.



220



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



Woman's Christian Temperance Union was
formed Jau. 31, 1878, and consisted of twelve mem-
bers. The officers at the time of organization were
a? follows : Pres., Charity F. Edgarton ; V. P., Emily
Bryant ; Sec. and Treas., Susan G. Bodfish.

In 1884 the membership is sixty, with the follow-
ing officers: Pres., Charity F. Edgarton; V. P.,
Emily Bryant and Sarah E. Sproat ; Sec. and Treas.,
Susau G. BodSsh.

Schools. — There are thirteen primary, intermedi-
ate, and grammar schools. The Wareham High
School was organized in September, 1SC7. List of
principals : Erastus B. Powers, E. E. Parker, D. N.
Lane, F. J. Worcester, C. J. De Merritte, Gifford
II. G. McGrew.

Assistants : Sarah E. Haskell, S. F. Kimball, SI.
Hyde, A. M. Grossman, Sarah 11. Graham, Anna M.
Howe, Ellen J. Towle, Alice M. Guernsey.

Population. — We have no record of the popula-
tion of Wareham earlier than 1710. From the
remains of ancient cellars and chimneys there must
have been a time when its farming population was
quite numerous. About the year 1742 this town
sent out a colony which settled in Sharon, Conn.

What the whole number of this colony was it is im-
possible now to ascertain, but the records of the Con-
gregational Church show that from 1742 to 1753
there were thirty-five dismissed from it and recom-
mended to the church in Sharon. As they departed
with their families and neighbors, we may safely con-
clude that the colony consisted of more than one
hundred souls. There were others who emigrated
from Wareham to Lebanon, Tolland, Stafford, and
Windsor, in Connecticut, from 1709 to 1779, though
not as great as the emigration to Sharon. After this
several families removed to the town of Lee, in this
State, and about the same time a number went to
Maine and settled about the Kennebec River. The
emigrations above noticed were special movings, and
not those who leave from year to year to look for a
better home. Of such we have sent our share, some
of whom have been settled in almost every State in
the Union, and some returned again to die upon their
natal soil. The present population of the town
(1884) is three thousand.

Anti-Slavery Times. — One evening during the
first week of the mouth of October, 1838, Rev.
Joseph Marsh, of Sandwich, attempted to deliver an
anti-slavery lecture in the Methodist Episcopal Church
that then stood a few rods north from where the pres-
ent one now stands, and is at the present time occu-
pied by L. H. Bartlett for mercantile purposes.

Political excitement ran high at the time, but no



trouble was apprehended. Free speech up to that
date had always been tolerated in this quiet seaport
town. Mr. Marsh had come by invitation, and at the
appointed hour proceeded to the church. The pre-
liminary services had been concluded, and the lecturer
had been speaking about ten minutes, when an infu-
riated mob, frenzied by liquor, surrounded the build-
ing. There was a window in the rear of the pulpit
and a stone soon came crashing through this window,
evidently aimed at the lecturer's head, but a heavy
window-curtain saved Jiiui, probably, from iustant
death.

Foiled in this attempt, the leaders of the mob,
with coats off, came up the aisles of the church, evi-
dently designing to seize the speaker and drag him
from the pulpit. They had nearly reached the altar,
when a sister of one of the leaders, catching sight of
her brother, shrieked and fainted, whereupon these
blood-thirsty men turned, passed rapidly down the
aisles, and joined their comrades on the outside of
the church, who were yelling like demons. At this
juncture two official members of the church, Asa N.
Bodfish and Francis Carr. took the lecturer by the
hand, one on each side, and led him out of the church,
through the crowd to a place of safety. " Tell it not
in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Askclon,"
that all this occurred in a towu that was originally a
part of the old town of Plymouth, the landing-place
of the Pilgrims. Some say there is no God and
everything comes by chance. Let us see. Of the
originators, abettors, and actors that figured conspic-
uously in that shameful outrage, but one died a uat-
ural death. Several of them tried the virtues of
rope and razor, some are buried in the sea, and others
are filling drunkards' graves in this and other lands.
They quickly perished from the earth, unwept, un-
honored, and unsung. Their names are not known to
the present generation, while the object of their hate
and contempt has since been honored for a series of
years with the chaplaincy of the Massachusetts Sen-



Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 51 of 118)