D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) Hurd.

History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) online

. (page 82 of 118)
Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 82 of 118)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and soon after fightiug in the ranks on the heights
of Bunker's Hill.

Calvin Partridge was colonel of a regiment, and
was a man of usefulness in his town.

Hou. George Partridge was born ou the 8th of
February, 1740. In 1777 he succeeded Gen. Warren
as sheriff of Plymouth Couuty, and held the office
with little interruption until 1812.

Dr. John Wudsworth had served in the Canada
war as an officer, and on the commencement of the
Revolution was a captain of the militia. As a phy-



sician, Dr. Wadsworth was self-taught, and of con-
siderable eminence in his profession. lie was a man
of energy and activity, and retained his physical
powers until late in life. He died in 1799, at the
advanced age of ninety-two years.

His son, John Wadsworth, a gentleman of excel-
lent talents, having completed a collegiate course,
graduated at Harvard College iu 1702, and was con-
sidered a good scholar. He intended to have been a
lawyer, but was however chosen a tutor iu Harvard
University in 1770, and had the reputation of an
able logician, and his superior power iu metaphysical
discussions was universally acknowledged. This office
he held during his life, and he was from 1774, as he
was the eldest tutor, ex officio a member of the cor-
poration.

Deacon Peleg Wadsworth was a brother of the
doctor.

Gen. Peleg Wadsworth was a son of Deacon Peleg
Wadsworth. He graduated at Harvard College in
1709, and was a brigadier-general during the war of
the Revolution.

His son, Alexander Scammel Wadsworth, was sec-
ond lieutenant ou board the " Constitution," when
she captured the " Guerriere." Auother son, Henry
Wadsworth, became a lieutenant in the navy, and
fought under Commodore Preble at the siege of
Tripoli.

The following interesting items relatiug to the
church are subjoined :

1638. A. Sampson was presented to the court u for
striking and abusing John Washburn, the younger,
in the meetiug-houae on the Lord's day."

1650. Edward Hunt fined for shooting deer ou the
Sabbath. Abraham Pierce, for idleuess and neglect-
ing public worship.

1051. Nathaniel Bassett and Jo. Prior were fined
twenty shillings each for disturbing the church, aud
at the uext town-meetiug or traiuiug-day each to be
bound to a post for two hours iu some public place,
with a paper on their heads, with their crime written
thereon iu capital letters.

1652. James Liudall, at his death, left to the
church one cow and one calf. George Russell was
fined for not attending church at Numasakeeset in the
liberties of Duxbury.

1601. Zoeth Howland was fined ten shillings for
breaking the Sabbath.

1006. Edward Land, John Cooper, and Johu Sim-
mons were fined ten shillings each " for prophane aud
abusive carriages each towards the other ou Lord's day
at the meeting house."

1006. Mr. Samuel Seabury was summoned before



HISTORY OF DUXBURY.



3G3



the court to answer to the charge that " hee hath
busied himself to scandalise and defame the niiuneslry
of Duxbury."

1GG7. Nathaniel Soule was brought before the
court for abusing Mr. Holmes, " by many false, scan-
dulous, and approbuouse speeches," and was senteueed
to make a public acknowledgment, to pay a fine of
twenty pounds, and to sit in the stocks at the pleasure
of the court, which last was revoked at the urgent re-
quest of Mr. Holmes.

1GG9. " It is enacted that any person or persons
that shall be found smoking of tobacco on the Lord's
day, going to or coming from the meetings, within
two miles of the meeting-house, shall pay 12 pence
for every such default for the Colony's use."

1744-45, March 18. At a meeting of the town
on this date, they " voted to choose some persons to
take care of their meeting-house, to keep out of it
itinerant preachers." Rev. Joseph Croswell, an itin-
erant " New Light," frequently preached duriug the
excitement from house to house.

17S0, Oct. 15. " Voted that the Psalms should be
sung without being read Hue by line by the great
majority."

1784, Feb. 2. The town passed a vote to build
a new meeting-house, which was erected the same
year, midway between the north and south bound-
aries of the town. The building was raised Aug.
12, 1784, and on the 18th June, 1785, it was
first occupied for worship. This stood nearly sixty
years, when it was torn dowu to give place to the
present edifice on the same site, which was dedicated
Oct. 28, 1840.

Christ Church, of Duxbury, was organized in
about the year 1G32, and the first pastor was Rev.
Ralph Partridge, iu 1637, who remained until his
death, iu 1G58. He was succeeded by Rev. Johu
Holmes, who also remained until his death, iu 1G75.
The list of pastors from that time to the present is as
follows: Rev. Ichabod Wisewall, 1G7G, till his death,
in 1700 ; Rev. John Robiuson, 1702-38 ; Rev. Sam-
uel Veazie, 1739-50 ; Rev. Charles Turuer, 1754-75 ;
Rev. Zedekiah Sanger, 177G-8G ; Rev. John Allyn,
178G, died July 19, 1833; Rev. Benjamu Kent, col-
league to Dr. Allyn, 1S2G-33 ; Rev. Josiah Moore,
1834, died July 27, 1881, aged eighty years. He did
not preach for some time before his death ; the pulpit
being supplied by Rev. F. N. Knapp, of Plymouth.
Rev. R. D. Burr became pastor in October, 18S2, and
is the present incumbent.

Pilgrim Church. 1 — The Pilgrim Congregational



1 Uv Itev. E. L. (JLutu.



Church was founded in 1844. A series of interesting
events, national and local, have to do with the begin-
nings of this society. The anti-slavery agitation was
at this time at its height. Everywhere the conscience
and heart of the people was being awakened. New
England was the stronghold of the lovers of freedom,
and no part of New England was more fully possessed
of the spirit than Plymouth County, Mass.

The town of Duxbury was theu (from 1840 to
1850) a busy and prosperous place. The visitor of
to-day sees little to suggest its old-time thrift. Forty
years ago, however, it was a bustling village. Fishiug
and various manufactures were aetivo, while the Dux-
bury built ships were known round the world. The
men of Duxbury were fully up to the times in which
they lived. One of them iu particular, the Hon.
Seth Sprague, a man well known throughout the
county, and a leading member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, was decided and pronounced in his
opposition to slavery. He, with others, desired that
the church should express itself on this question. The
matter was presented at a local conference. The
church was not ready to entertaiu the question. Mr.
Sprague and his friends persisted it was a great prin-
ciple, they could not yield it, they could uot remain
silent. The conference was unwilling to advance, and
thus it came about that a large number from the
Methodist Episcopal Church of Duxbury withdrew
from that body, to found what afterwards became
the Pilgrim Congregational Church. A building,
largely the gift of Mr. Sprague, was erected in 1S44.
The church at first was known as Wcsleyau Methodist.
Under this title it continued to flourish for a consid-
erable uumber of years, wheu, desiring more of local
fellowship, it gave up its independent position and
became Congregational. The church has hitherto
beeu served by an able and faithful ministry. The
Rev. Isaac Durham became pastor iu 1S4S aud con-
tinued till 1858. His miuistry was blessed to the
enlargement aud spiritual upbuildiug of the church.

Rev. William Tisdale, Rev. A. P. Burgess, aud
Rev. W. W. Lyle have also held the pastorate of the
church. The present pastor, installed in 1SS2, is
Rev. E. L. Chute. From the beginning this church
society has had within its membership men and women
who have beeu warmly devoted to its welfare.

Seldom have stronger local attachments been formed
or more of individual labor beeu given than here.
Many, iudeed most, of these laborers have entered
into rest, yet it may be truly said that their spirit
survives. The present church edifice, the same as at
first, stands upon the summit of a beautiful hill over-
looking the bay and the great ocean beyond. The build-



364



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



ing is commodious and pleasant to the sight, a notable
feature of the town. The present membership of the
church is seventy-sis.

The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in
1S19, and the church edifice erected in 1823.

The West Duxbury Church was organized in 1831,
and the house of worship erected the following year.

The Wesleyan Methodist Church was organized
about 1S42, and house of worship erected about two
years later.

Representatives from 1639 to 1884.— The first
representatives, or deputies as they were rhen called,
from this town were chosen June 4, 1639, and were
Jonathan Brewster and Edmund Chandler. The list
from that time to the present is as follows :



1C7U. W. Pabodic.
1G71-S2. W. Pabodie.

Josiah Standish.
1GS3-84. Josiah Standish.

John Tracy.
1685. .)-» i.lIi Standish.

Benjamin Bartlctt, Sr.
16S6. Francis Darker.

J. Tracy.
1687-89. Edw. Southwortb.

Seth Arnold.
1690. Deacon J. Wadsworth.

David Alden.
1691-92. Dca. J. Wadsworth.

Edw. Soutbworth.

1693. Edw. Southwortb.
Lieut. Scth Arnold.

1694. Ensigu F. Barker.
Deacon J. Wadsworth.

1700. Capt. Sclh Arnold.

1701. Lieut. P. Barker.

1703. Lieut. F. Barker.

1704. Joshua lloltucs.

1708. Joshua Holmes.

1709. Samuel Scabury.
1712-13. Capt. John Alden.
1721-22. Cii|.t. J. Alden.
1723-24. Thomas Fish.
1728. Capt. J. Alden.
1731-39. Capt. (styled Col.

1733) J. Alden.
1740. Did not send.
1741-49. Capt. G. Bradford.
1750. Did not send.
1751-56. Col. G. Bradford.
1757. Did not send.
1758-60. Samuel Scabury.
1761-67. Capt. (Maj. 1762)

Briggs Alden.
1768-70. Capt. J. Wadsworth.

1771. Did not send.

1772. Capt. J. Wadsworth.

1773. Did not send.
1774-76. George Partridge.
1777. George Partridge.

Dca. Peleg Wadsworth.
I 1778-79. George Partridge.



1640


William Basset.






Christopher Wadswoi


tb


1641-


-42. John Alden.
J. Brewster.




1643.


W. Basset.
E. Chandler.
Tho. Besbeueb.




1044.


Capt. Standish.
J. Brewster.
J. Alden.
W. Basset.




1C45.


J. Alden.
George Soule.
W. Basset.
E. Chandler.




1646.


J. Alden.
G. Soule.




1647.


J. Alden.

Constaut Southwortb.




1648.


J. Alden.
W. Basset.




1C4'J


J. Alden.

C. Southwortb.




1650-


-51. G. Soule.
C. Southwortb.




1052.


C. Southwortb.
John Bradford.




1653.


G. Soule.

C. Southwortb.




1654.


G. Soule.
C. Soutbworth.
C. Wadsworth.
William Pabodic.




1655-


50. C. Soutbworth.
William Pabodie.




1657.


William Pabodic.
John Rogers.




1058-


63. C. Soutbworth.
W. Pabodie.




1664.


C. Southwortb.




1665.


C. Soutbworth.
Josiah Standish.




1006-


67. C. Soutbworth.
C. Wadsworth.




1608.


C. Soutbworth.
Jusiah Standish.




1669.


C. Southwortb.





1780. G. Partridgo.

John Peterson.
1781-82. John Peterson.
1783. Cupt. Samuel Loring.
1734. liev. Z. Sanger.

1785. Calvin Partridge.

1786. Did not send.

i 1737. Rev. Z. Sanger.
17S8. Did not send.
1789-90. Gamaliel Bradford.

1791. Did not send.

1792. Gamaliel Bradford.

1793. Did not send.
1794-90. Maj. Judab Alden.

1797. Scth Sprague.

1798. Maj. Alden.

1799. Seth Sprague.

1800. Did not send.
1801-5. Capt. Setb Spraguo.

1806. Capt. Seth Sprague.
Adam Fish.

1807. Capt. Adam Fish.

1808. Capt. Ezekiol Soule.
1809-10. Maj. Alden.

Sauiuel Walker.

1811. Maj. Alden.

1812. Maj. Alden.
G. Partridge.

1813. Maj. Alden.
Samuel A. Frazar.

1814-15. G. Partridgo.

1816. G. Partridge.
Samuel A. Frazar.

1817. George Partridge.

1821. Seth Sprague.

1822. Seth Sprague.
Samuel A. Frazar.

1823. Isaiah Alden.
Samuel A. Frazar.

1826. Seth Sprague, Jr.

1827. Phineas Spraguo.

1828. Phineas Spraguo.
Gershum B. Weston.

1829. Gershom B. Weston.
George P. Richardson.

1830. Gershom B. Weston.

1831. Seth Spraguo, Jr.
Gershom B. Weston.

1833. Gershom B. Weston.
Setb Sprague, Jr.



IS34-3B. Gershom li. Weston.

1837. Gershom li. Weston.
Gershom Brmlford.
Joseph F. Wadsworth.

1838. Gershom B. Weston.
Joseph F. Wadsworth.

1S39. Gershom B. Weston.

Benjamin Alden.
1840. Benjamin Alden.

Joseph F. Wadsworth.
1841-42. Levi Sampson.
1842. Not represented.

1844. Joshua Brewster.

1845. Not represented.
1846-17. Ju.<. F. Wadsworth.
1848. Not represented.

1549. Aaron Jos.-elyn.
1850. Stephen N. Gilford.
1S51-52. J. W. Hathaway.
1853—54. Aaron Josselyn.
1S55. Elbridge Chandler.

1550. .Mu rl in Gardner.
1857. William J. Alden.
1S5S. William Ellison.

1859. (Kingston). 1

1860. George Bradford.
1801. (Kingston).

1862. Henry B. Maglathlin.

1863. (Kingston).

1864. Augustus Weston.

1865. (Kingston).
1806. Jabez Keep.
1867. (King-ton).
1S63. Eden Wadsworth.

1869. (Kingston).

1870. Hamilton E. Smith.
1371. (Kingston).

1872. Josiah Peterson.

1873. Hamilton E. Smith.

1874. Samuel Loring.

1875. Stephen M. Allen.

1876. (Kingston).

1877. George Bradford.

1878. (Kingston).

1879. (Carver).

1880. (Kingston).
1831. (Carver).
18S2. (Carver).

1883. (Plympton).

1884. (Plympton).



The first selectmen, chosen in 1GGC, were Chris-
topher Wadsworth, Josiah Standiah, and Benjamin
Bartlett.

The first constable was C. Wadsworth, chosen in
1633.

" Christopher Wadsworth chosen Constable for the
ward of Duxbury, bounded between Jones River
and Green's harbour, and to serve the King in that
office for the space of one whole yeare, and to enter
upon the place with the Gov' elect."

1 Since 1858 Duxbury has been represented with uther towns,
as indicated by names in parenthesis.



HISTORY OF DUXBURY.



3G5



The first treasurer of the town was William Brew-
ster, and the first clerk, it is believed, was Alexander
Standish.

Military Record. — The following enlisted from
this town during the war of the Rebellion :



John Aliieu.
Henry Alden.
Charles E. Alden.
Thomas Alden.
James Alden, Jr.
John W. Alden.
Herbert A. Baker.
Edward Bishop.
Iluwtand S. Bonney.
James IT. Bowen.
John S. Butler.
Jacob S. Burgess.
Lewis M. Bailey.
William Bailey.
James A. Bowen.
Joseph P. Bosworth, Jr.
George II. Bailey.
"Walter Baker.
Granville Baker.
Henry Barston.
Joshua T. Brewster.
Juhn W. Brewster.
MeUer Brewster, Jr.
George Bryant.
Edgar H. Bailey.
Herbert A. Chandler.
David F. Church.
Edwin J. Chandler.
Hiram G. Cox.
Charles J. Cox.
George T. Chandler.
AluuiO Chandler.
Charles J. Chaudlcr.
John II. Crueker.
Asa Chandler.
Noah J. Chandler.
Hiram Chandler.
Jerome Chandler.
Eutuiuns A. Chandler.
Edgar E. Chandler.
J. Bernard Chandler.
Hiram 0. Chandler.
Stephen Clark, Jr.
Samuel A. Chandler.



George II. Davidson.
Otis Delano.
Nathan 0. Dorr.
James Downey.
Francis B. Dorr.
Augustus A. Delano.
Daniel W. Delano.
Oscar Delano.
Hiram T. Delano.
Daniel Delano, Jr.
Proctor A. Dawson.
Edward M. Delano.
Samuel Delano.
Charles II. Dunbrack.
Ezra J. Ford.
Enoch Freeman.
Walter II. Freeman.
Edward F. Farr.
George A. Fanner.
Henry P. Fiah.
Leander 11. Gardner.
John Glover.
Seth Glass.
Jonathan Glass, Jr.
Eugene Glass.
Harrison T. Glass.
LcBaron Goodwin.
George A. Graves.
Augustus A. Graves.
Bailey Gulliver.
Abram Glass.
Lebbcus Harris.
Samuel D. Harriman.
John H. Haverstock.
George L. Higgins.
EliliuS. Harnmau.
William T. Hunt.
Wudsworth Hunt.
Robert S. Hunt.
Joseph II. Harris.
Weston F. Hutchins.
Edward G. Hunt.
Henry Jones.
Issachar Jossclyn.



John E. Josselyn.
William W. Jones.
Washington King.
William J. Keep.
Jarius W. Levitt.
Henry II. Lewis.
Edgar F. Loring.
George W. Lane.
Otis W. Lapham.
John J. Lewis.
George G. Lewis.
Alexander Lane.
Edward M. Mugoun.
John Mclotire.
Alexander McDonald.
David C. Mechan.
James Mulligcn.
Martin Mullen.
Henry B. Maglathton.
Thomas T. McNaught.
John McNaught.
Edwin G. Metcolf.
Andrew Nothey.
Adna K. Parris.
Calvin B. Paine.
Henry B. Paulding.
George P. Peterson.
Leander B. Pierce.
Walter Peterson.
George 0. Paulding.
John J. Peterson.
Bryant C. Pratt.
Charles A. Peterson.
William Phillips.
William A. Ramond.
David Rix.
George R. Ryder.
Josiah D. Randall.
Jason H. Randall.
Francis J. Randall.
George F. Ryder.
Charles F. Rogers.
Gilbert M. Ryder.
Charles A. Rogers.
Horace E. Sampson.
SylvanuaShedd.
Joseph E. Simmons.
Joseph A. Soule.
Aaron II. Snell.
Aurelius Soule.
Oscar II. Soule.



Walter South worth.
John Southworth.
Nahum Sampson.
Isaac L. Sampson.
Bradford Sampson.
Eden Sumpson (2d).
Frederic P. Sherman.
Abraham P. Simmons.
Wilber F. Simmons.
Daniel F. Simmons.
William Soule.
George B. Sampson.
George A. Simmons.
William T. Swift.
Samuel J. Simmons.
Edward D. Swift.
Elisha Swift.
James Southworth.
Walter Southworth.
Sidney S. Sampson.
George U.Terry.
Jonathan P. Turner.
James Thomas.
William II. Thomas.
Charles M.Tisdule.
Nathaniel W. Thomas.
Hamilton Wadsworth.
Walter Weston.
Hiram Weston.
William Heury Weston.
James S. Weston.
Jabcz P. Weston.
George H. Winsor.
James II. Winsor.
Adolphus E. Winsor.
William Woodward.
Corindo AVinsor.
William Wadsworth.
George S. Weston.
James II. Weston.
Augustus Weston.
Joshua T. Winsor.
Gersham Winsor.
Jaiuoa II. Winsor.
William G. Winsor.
Henry 0. Winsor.
Edward R. Weston.
Elias E. Weston.
Alfred Weston.
Nathaniel B. Weston.



HISTORY OF MATTAPOISETT.



Mattapoisett is a word from the Indian lan-
guage, and said to signify rest.

Indians living a few miles back from the seaboard
used frequently to come down to the shore at this
place for the purpose of obtaining fish and clams, and
at an adjacent spring stopped to rest, and hence the
name that they gave that locality, the river, and some
of the surrounding country.

Mattapoisett was formerly a religious parish in
Rochester, set off as such in 1773, duriug the minis-
try of Rev. Timothy Ruggles, and settling as their
minister Rev. Ivory Hovey, who, in 1772, was suc-
ceeded by Rev. Lemuel Le Baron. These two gen-
tlemen miuistered in things spiritual to the people at
this place for the full term of a century. Their next
minister was Rev. Thomas Robbins, D.D., who was
believed to be the owner of the most valuable private
library in the State.

Ship building formerly formed an important branch
of business at this place, as did also the whale-fishery,
but both are now nearly or quite relinquished.

Rogers L. Barstow, Esq., an enterprising merchant,
was largely interested in the whale-fishery up to the
time of death.

He was an enterprising and influential citizen, and
was mainly instrumental in getting up a light in-
fantry company at this place in 1842, and of which
he was the first captain, with Loring Meigs, John T.
Atsatt, and David Pratt as lieutenants.

This company belonged to the Bristol County bat-
talion, then composed of the Norton Artillery, Co-
hanet Rifle Corps, of Taunton, New Bedford Guards, 1
and Mattapoisett Guards. The battalion was com-
manded by Maj. Benjamin R. Gulliver, of Taunton ;



1 This 13 what came to be spoken of at New Bedford as the
Old Guards, to distinguish it from another cumpany that suc-
ceeded it a few years later, and also called New Bedford
Guards. The Old Guards were a large, elegantly-uniforuied,
finely-equipped, and very cxcelloutly-drillud company. Hon.
II. G. 0. Colby was their lirst commander. lion. Lincolu P.
Brighaui succeeded him. The last cumpauy had Goorgu A.
Bouruo fur their lirst commander, and he was succeeded by
Timothy Iugrahain.
3GG



Capt. Barstow next received the appointment as
quartermaster on the brigade staff of Gen. Henry
Dunham, of Abington.

A few years later Capt. Barstow was promoted to
the office of major of the Third Regiment of light
infantry, Stephen Thomas, of Middleboio', being
colonel, and Ebenezer W. Peiree, of Lakeville, lieu-
tenant-colonel.

Maj. Rogers L. Barstow was elected a representative
to the General Court at Boston, and commissioned a
justice of the peace for Plymouth County.

Probably the first or earliest company of light in-
fantry raised in that part of Rochester now Matta-
poisett was authorized by the following order:

"COMMONWEALTU OF MASSACHUSETTS. — The Committee of the
Council on Military Affairs, to whom was referred the petition
of Ebenezer Barrows and others, representing that the village
of Mattapoisett, in which the petitioners reside, is situated on
Buzzard's Bay, and in time of war exposed to the approach of
the enemy in barges, which may be repulsed by well-disciplined
infautry, and that the standing company iu the village con-
taius on its roll one hundred and ten men, and praying to be
authorized to raiso by voluntary enlistment a company of light
infantry, ask leave to report: that the object of the petitioners
appears to be approved by the commanding officers uf the regi-
ment, brigade, and division, in which the petitioners reside;
and that it further appears that the facts set forth in said peti-
tion are true; the committee, therefore, for the reasons set
forth in said petition, are of opinion that to grant the prayer
thereof would conduce to the improvement of the militia, and,
in time of war, add to the safety of said village. They, there-
fore, recommend that His Excellency, the commander-in-chief,
be advised to issue his orders, authorizing the petitioners to
raise by voluntary enlistment a company of light infantry, to
be annexed to the Fourth Regiment of the First Brigade, Fifth
Division, and when organized to be recruited within the limits
of tho town of Rochester: Provided, however, that before said
company Bhall be organized, not less than forty-live members
be associated to form the same; and that the organization
thereof shall be completed in six months from the 1st day of
July next, and not aftorwards. Which is respectfully sub-
mitted.

"MAncus Muicton, per order."

"In Council, June IS, 1825. — Tho within report is accepted,
and by the Governor approved.

"Edward D. Bascs, Secretary."

"Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Headquarters, Boston,
June 21, 1325. General Order. — Tho commandcr-iii-chiei.



HISTORY OF MATTAPOISETT.



367



having approved tbe above-written advico of Council, directs
Maj.-Gen. Benjamin Lincoln to carry the same into effect.
" By His Excellency's command,

•'WlLLIAil H. Sumnkk, Adjutant-General"

'* Headquarters, New Bedford, July 5, 1825. Dietitian Order*.
— Brig. -Gen. Ward is charged with the execution of the fore-
going advice of Council and General Order of the 21st ultimo.
" By order of the major-general Fifth Division,

"Timotuy G. Coffin, Aide-de-Cantp."

"Headquarters, Middleborougli, Aug. 5, 1825. Britjade Or-
ders. — Lieut. -Col. Benjamin Wood, commandant of the Fourth
Keghuent, First Brigade, Fifth Division, is directed to carry
into execution the foregoing order of Council, General Order,
and Division Order of tbe 5th of July, 1825, and to effect the
complete organization of the company alluded to in said order,
as therein directed.

" By order of the brigadier-general First Brigade, Fifth
Division.

" Nathaniel Wilder, Brigade Major."

This company of light infantry was raised, and
Ebenezer Barrows elected and commissioned captain
of the same.

At the first choice of field-officers for the Fifth
Regiment, Capt. Ebenezer Barrows was promoted to
lieutenant-colonel.

The following gentlemen, residing within the limits
of what is now Mattapoisett, held commissions in the
local militia higher than that of captain:



Lieut.-Col. Ebenezer Barrows in Fifth Regiment,
\ First Brigade, Fifth Division, from 1820 to 1S27.

Maj. Rogers L. Barstow in Third Regiment Light
\ Infantry, Second Brigade, First Division Massachu-
setts Volunteer Militia, from May, 1353, to 1S58.
Resigned and was honorably discharged.

Congregational Church (formerly First Parish,
Rochester) organized 27th July, 1736.

First Christian Church organized 1S20 or there-
abouts.

Universalist Church organized April 25, 1859.

Friends' Meeting, belonging to Long Plain Prepara-
tive Meeting and to New Bedford Monthly Meeting.

Advent Chapel.

Mattapoisett was incorporated as a town May 20,
1857.

This town furnished two hundred and fifteen men
during the war of the Rebellion, eighteen of whom
died in the service, viz. :

ROLL OP HONOR.

Z. M. Barstow. E. Tripp.

John T. Barstow. W. H. Taber.

Edward F. Barlow. C. U. Tinkhaui.

William C. Dexter. George W. Wilcox.

Charles H. Hayden. William S. Wilcox.

John A. Le Baron. John Bates.

Franklin A. Lobre. John S. Dennis.

George D. Snow. William H. Kinney.

Edward F. Snow. E. W. Reiudall.



HISTORY OF HANOVER.




Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 82 of 118)