D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) Hurd.

History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) online

. (page 86 of 118)
Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 86 of 118)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


quota, and, after providing for the last call of the
President, it had a surplus of about twenty-five men
in the service.

At a citizens' meeting, held in April, 1SG1, the
first concerted action in town was taken. A com-
mittee was chosen to confer with citizens of other
towns as to the proper course to be pursued in view
of the hostilities then commenced.

Immediately thereafter, at a town-meeting called
by the selectmen for the purpose, May 4th, it was
voted to raise five huudred dollars " in aid of the
families of volunteers that have or may enlist from
this time ;" two hundred and fifty dollars " to provide
for uniforms for such volunteers," and five hundred
dollars to pay them for drilling " before leaving for
the seat of war."

A committee, consisting of the selectmen and
Thomas Turner, Melzar Hatch, and Samuel S. Tur-
ner, was then chosen to carry these votes into effect.
This committee was instructed to visit the volun-
teers' families and relieve such as were needy. At
meetings held later, other sums were raised to aid the
families of absent soldiers uutil the State made pro-
vision for them iu the State aid laws.

The President's first call for three months' men, in
April, 1861, was responded to by six men, aud during
the year thirty-six men enlisted for three years.
Early in May, iu the same year, Loammi B. Sylvester
and others organized a company of Hauover men,
with its headquarters at the Four Corners. About
the same time a company was formed iu Abiugton,
which was largely composed of men from this towu.
The Hanover company became Company G of the
Eighteenth Regiment, and that from Abington, Com-
pany G of the Twelfth Regiment. Both companies
during the entire war were with the Army of the Po-
tomac. The positions they occupied were dangerous,



and their losses were severe. At Antietam, " of the
three hundred and twenty-five men of the Twelfth
Regiment who went into the battle, but one hundred
and twelve came out unscathed." At the second bat-
tle of Bull Run the Eighteenth Regiment, with tlie
same number of men, suffered a loss nearly as great,
while at Fredericksburg it won the commendation of
Gen. Schouler.

In July and August, 1862, of the President's call
for six hundred thousand men, Hanover's proportion
was forty-six, one-quarter of all its remaining able-
bodied men. A single meeting was held, the situation
explained, and fifty-two determined men at once en-
listed, — thirty for niue months and twenty-two for
three years. The former were mostly attached to the
I Third and the Forty-third Regiments, aud the latter
to Company K, Thirty-eighth Regiment. The latter
company was seut to Louisiana, where the climate
proved more fatal than fighting. During this year
fifty-seven residents of Hanover enlisted on her quota,
aud fourteen recruits were obtained outside her borders.

In 1863 twenty-eight citizens enlisted on the quota
of the town for three years, aud twenty-seven for one
year. The latter served mostly at Fort Warren, aud
the former joined old regiments in the field. Eleven
recruits for three years were procured elsewhere.
Duriug this year, through the efforts of the munic-
ipalities iuterested and the co-operation of Governor
Andrew, the government at Washington performed a
long-delayed act of justice iu giving credit for men
who had enlisted in the navy. Hanover was thus
credited with seventeen men, most of whom were its
own citizens. This town had representatives on the
" Kearsarge," the '" Cumberland," aud the " Con-
gress" iu the famous battles where they were engaged.

At the commencement of the war the number of
available meu iu Hanover between eighteen and
forty-five years of age was uot over two hundred and
seventy-five. Of this number oue hundred aud
sixty-nine enlisted. Six of these were killed in
battle, eighteen died in the service, aud several others
soou after their discharge. Levi C. Brooks was killed
at the battle of Cain River, Benjamin Curtis at the
battle of Antietam (in one mouth after his enlist-
ment), Marcus M. Leavitt at Vicksburg, Johu W.
Nelson at the battle of the Wilderness, Juhu B.
Wilder while on picket duty, and Joseph E. Wilder
at Sabine Cross-Roads. Albert E. Bates, Joshua E.
Bates, Spencer Biuuey, Hiram B. Bouncy, Calvin S.
Bailey, John H. Cary, William Church, Jr., Calvin
E. Ellis, Winfield S. Guruey, George R. Josselyu,
Johu Larkum, Arthur Shepherd, Loammi B. Sylves-
ter, Francis A. Stoddard, Joseph D. Thomas, Ferrin



history of Hanover.



383



Willis, and George Woodard died in the service.
The allies of those who never returned sanctify the
soil of seven sister States.

All who enlisted previous to August, 1862, did so
without town bounty. After that date a bounty was
paid. The aggregate sum expended for bounties by
the town was twenty-five thousaud dollars, and dur-
ing the war the sum of twelve thousaud eight hun-
dred and sixty dollars was paid in aid of families
of volunteers. Of this latter sum the greater part
was refunded by the State. Of this record Hauover
is proud, for few towns tilled their quotas as promptly,
while the number of those furnishing as large a pro-
portion of their own citizens is smaller yet.

Soldiers' Monument. — Ou the 30th day of May,
1877, one of the speakers at the services at the town
hall alluded to the fact that uo monument had up
to that time been erected by the town of Hanover
in honor of those of her citizens who died in the war
of the Rebellion.

As was then suggested, a committee of one or more
ladies in each school district was formed to organize
and cany through a fair for the purpose of raising
funds for such a monument. The most successful
fair which the town has ever seen was the result. It
was held at the town hall on Oct. 16-19, 1877, and
gave a net result of twelve hundred and forty-eight
dollars and twenty-two cents.

Early in the following summer the monument was
placed in position ou the green, on the easterly side
of the First Congregational Church, — a short portion
of Silver Street, which had crossed the green, having
been discontinued by vote of the town. The total
cost of the monument was sixteen hundred and sixty-
four dollars and eighty-eight cents, of which the town
itself paid eight hundred and sixteen dollars and
twenty-four cents. Of the proceeds of the fair, about
four hundred dollars were used in the expenses of the
dedication of the monument, and the balance, eight
hundred and forty-eight dollars and sixty-four cents,
for the monument itself.

The monument, designed by J. Williams Beal,
S.B., of Hanover, is of Concord grauite, resting
upon a foundation of Quincy granite, and is sur-
rounded by a raised plot of green sward inclosed in a
Quincy grauite octagonal curbiug. The monument
itself is a pyramidical obelisk about twenty-five feet
high, consisting of a base six feet square and two
feet six inches high, upon which rests a sub-base
decorated with a heavy moulding. On this sub-base
rests the die of the pedestal, containing four sunken
polished panels, one on each face.

From the die a large aud graceful moulding pro-



jects, which receives the cap of the pedestal. This is
ornamented with four projecting pediments, on which
are carved in beautiful relief the shield of the United
States, resting on a graceful branch of palm for a back-
ground. Ou this rests the main shaft, which is mon-
olithic, the base being decorated with sunk channels
aud raised stars.

The shaft is crowned with a capital of unique de-
sign, which is decorated with four wreaths suspended
from the sides. The whole is of a purely Grecian
style of architecture.

On the south or front face is the following inscrip-
tion :

" Ereuted
By the People of lianover,

ia grateful memory of

her sods who died iu the war

for the preservation

of the Union,

1878."

Ou the other faces are the names of the deceased
soldiers.

Previous to its dedication a leadeu box was placed
under the monument containing the following :

Proceedings of National Encampments, I860 to
1878, inclusive.

Rules and Regulations.

Service-Book and Memorial Service.

One of each kind of blank used by the Grand
Army of the Republic.

Roster of department, and complete file of General
Orders, series of 1878.

A Grand Army of the Republic badge, No. -133U.

Alphabetical list of the battles of the war of the
Rebellion.

Copy of United States army aud navy pension
laws.

The above were deposited by the Department of
Massachusetts of the Grand Army of the Republic.

This box also contained :

Reports of selectmen and school committee of
Hanover for 1877-78.

Acts and resolves of Massachusetts for 1878.

Mauual of Geueral Court of Massachusetts for
1878.

A copy of each of the Boston daily papers.

Copies of local papers.

Hull- Call, Nos. 1 and 2, the "Monument Fair"
paper.

Mrs. M. F. Alleu's poem, written for the " Monu-
ment Fair."

Sermon by Rev. W. H. Brooks.

Also the following statement :



384



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



" Tho iiiiiiirn! was dedicated on the seventeenth da}' of

July, a.d. 1S7S.

" Rutherford B. Hayes, President of the United Sates.

"Alexander 11. Rice, Governor uf Massachusetts.

•' Selectmen of Hanover, Jedcdiah Dwelley, Isaac G. Stetson,
Samuel II. Church.

" Committee of arrangements, Rodolp C. Waterman, Jedcdiah
Iiwclley, Calvin T. Phillips.

"J. Williams Ucal, architect.

" John G. Kuigllt, chief marshal.

"The Eev. \V. II. Brooks, S.T.D., president of the day."

The 17th of July, 1S7S, was the day fixed for the
dedication. The eeremouies were long and impressive.
The day was graced by the presence of the Governor
of the comniouwealth aud his staff, the President of
the State Senate aud Speaker of the State House of
Representatives, the Secretary of State, one past aud
the present commander of the Ancient and Honor-
able Artillery Compauy of Boston, aud many other
distinguished guests.

The Governor and other invited guests arrived by
special car at the Four Corners, and were then taken
to breakfast at Academy Hall. There a procession
was formed, consisting of the bands, local posts of the
Grand Army of the Republic, who did escort duty,
the Governor and other guests in carriages, and vari-
ous local organizations. The line of march was up
Washington and Hanover Streets to the monument,
where the usual ceremonies of the unveiling aud de-
livering up of the monument occurred, followed in
the alternoou by a diuuer in a large tent erected for
the occasion iu a neighboring field, aud after the
dinner, toasts and responses.

Grand Army of the Republic. — April 29, 1809,
Post 83 of the Grand Army of the Republic, Depart-
ment of Massachusetts, was organized at the town
hull by Col. James L. Bates and Charles W. Hastings.
Iu respect to the memory of a young citizen of Han-
over, who left Amherst College to engage in the war
uf the Rebellion, aud who served faithfully until
killed at the battle of Sabiue Cross-Roads, La.,
April 8, 1864, the post assumed the name of Joseph
E. Wilder. At its organization the members of the
post were George B. Oldham, Morton V. Bonney,
John D. Gardner, John G. Knight, Rul'us M. Sturte-
vant, Charles L. Tower, W. S. Sherman, Louis Jos-
selyn, Libbeus Stockbridge, Peleg Sturtevaut.

The post, now numbering thirty-five members, has
had over sixty in all upou its rolls, aud has lost but
four by death. It boasts that it has distributed over
six hundred dollars charitably to soldiers aud their
families, and has a similar amount now in its treasury.
These sums have been mostly accumulated by means
of fairs, two of which were held previous to the fair



in aid of the monument, which is spoken of in the
section on the soldiers' mouumeut. The success of
these fairs is of course due largely to the ladies. A
Grand Army sewiug circle has been organized by them.
Its aid will undoubtedly be as valuable in the future
as it has been in the past. During its existence the
post has had the following commanders : George B.
Oldham (now deceased), 1809-71 ; Morton V. Bon-
ney, 1872-73 ; John G. Knight, 1874 and 1870 ;
Rufus M. Sturtevaut, 1875 ; Rodolphus C. Water-
man, 1877-82; Woodbridge R. Howes, 1S83-S4.

Its present officers are Rodolphus C. Waterman, C. ;
Rufus M. Sturtevaut, S. V. C. ; Louis Josselyu. J.
V. C. ; Morton V. Bouncy, Adjt. ; Frank Curbin,
Surg. ; Henry Wright, Chap. ;' John G. Knight,
Q.M. ; Samuel Hollis, 0. D. ; Nathan Howard, 0.
G.; H. S. Tower, Sergt.-Maj. ; Everett N. Maun,
Q.M.-Sergt.



CHAPTER V.

EDUCATIONAL HISTORY.

Iligh School — Hanover Academy — Assinippi Institute.

Our forefathers felt and knew that in order to main-
tain that liberality and freedom iu their institutions,
both political and religious, for which they hud emi-
grated from their mother-country, education was the
greatest essential. The far-famed common -sciiool s3 r s-
teui of Massachusetts and New England was, by a
simple process of evolutiou, the result of their earliest
endeavors. Its two principles, first, furnishing the
people the opportunity of learning, and second, com-
pelling their children's attendance, are seen as early us
1077 in the colony laws. An extract from them is
illustrative of this : " Forasmuch us the maintenance
of good literature doth much tend to the advancement
of the weale and flourishing estate of societies aud
Republiques, — this court doth therefore order: That
iu whatsoever township in this Government consisting
of fifty families or upwards ; any meet man shall be
obtained to teach a Grumer Scoole, such towushipp
shall allow at least twelve pounds iu currant mur-
chautable pay to be raised by rate on all the Inhabi-
tants of such Towne, and those that have the more
emediate benefitt thereof by theire children's good
and general good shall make up the residue uecessarie
to maintain the same, and that the profitts ariseing
of the Cape Fishing, heretofore ordered to maintaine
a Gramer Scoole iu this Collonie, be destributed to
such Townes as have such Gramer Scooles for the



HISTORY OF HANOVER.



385



tuaintainance thereof; not exceeding five pounds per
annum to any such Towne, unless the Court Treasurer
or other apointed to manage that affaire see good
cause to adde thereunto to any respective Towne not
exceeding five pounds more per annum ; and further,
this Court orders that every such Towne as consists
of seaventy families or upwards, and hath uot a
gramer scoole therein, shall allow and pay unto the
next towne which hath such Gramer Schoole kept up
amongst them the suiu of five pounds p annum in
current merchantable pay, to be levied on the Inhabi-
tants of such defective townes by rate."

It was the effort of our early fathers to maintain iu
the colonial churches an educated clergy. Scituate, of
which Hanover is proud to feel it once formed a part,
was settled by ineu of great intelligence and superior
education. Among its early clergymen was Charles
Chauncey, one of the first presidents of Harvard Col-
lege. Clergymen, then being the most educated men
in their vicinity, were looked to for much outside of
their sacred office. There were no physicians in the
colony for years, and the clergymen had many of their
duties to perforin. Another duty usually devolving
ou them was that of being the educators of the young.
Mr. Chauncey, above referred to, prepared his own
sons and the children of others for college, and " many
young men for the ministry."

Mr. Chaddock, at the Centre, taught the academy
for years, and Mr. Butler, of the Baptist Church, had
a school in Curtis Street for one season only.

When Hanover came to be incorporated, the act of
incorporation coutaiued a provision for the establish-
ment aud support of a school. Accordingly, in March,
1727-28, it was "voted to keep a school this year at
three places." These schools were taught in private
houses, no school-house being built in town until after
May 18, 1730. This first school-house was to be " at
or near the meetiug-house" in the centre of the town.

The first professional schoolmaster was a man of
much note in his profession, Richard Fitzgerald. He
came here from Scituate, where he had taught, fitting
for college, among others, Hon. William Cushiug,
LL.D., who graduated from Harvard in the class of
1751. Mr. Fitzgerald remained in town uutil his
death. He was a man of talent, well skilled in the
languages, especially the Latin.

In June, 1748, a " new school-house," on what is
now Circuit Street, is spoken of, the precursor of the
building in what is now called the King Street District,
or District No. 4.

Movable or moving schools are referred to in the
records uutil 1784. The schoolmaster was sometimes
hired to teach for a year, and taught three months in
25



one neighborhood and then went on to the next, and
so round. In 1772 the first approach toward district-
ing the town appears, when, in March, a committee
was chosen to divide the town into four quarters, and
to determine where each school-house shall stand.
Thus it appears that the original one school-house had
at this time increased to four. The more earnest
pupils were not satisfied with one quarter's instruc-
tion, and the habit very soon grew of following the
schoolmaster. In 1784 it was voted that "one quar-
ter shall not send their children into another school."
Gradually these " quarters" were subdivided until, in
1804, we find seven districts, which the following year
were numbered as follows :

No. 1. The Meeting-House District at the Centre.

No. 2. The Broad Oak District at the Four Corners.

No. 3. Upper Forge District at South Hanover.

No. 4. Drinkwater District at King Street.

No. 5. Beechwood's District at Whiting Street.

No. 6. Curtis Street District.

No. 7. Snappet District at Assiuippi, uow at Rocky
Swamp.

No. 6 was divided in 1831, becoming itself the
North Main Street District, and the south part be-
coming No. 8, the South Main Street District.

These divisions remained the legal districts until
the abolition by statute of the district system in Mas-
sachusetts. These divisions are still made use of for
convenience of designation.

Among the distinguished early teachers should be
named Joseph Cushing, afterward distinguished in
the Revolution, and Luke Stetson. Both were prob-
ably students under Mr. Fitzgerald, and both were
for several years teachers here.

Later came Priscilla Mann, known as " Marm
Mann." Her acquirements, judged by modern stand-
ards, were not commensurate with her reputation.
She was, however, the master of a remarkably hand-
some, round, old-fashioned chirography, and her
pupils by their handwriting alone can be picked out
ou the pages of old records and amid the dinmess of
old deeds. In her day no " Payson, Duuton, and
Seribner's" copy-books, with their engraved copies,
could be had, and each schoolmaster and mistress
must make not only their own copies, but their own
pens as well.

The school-houses of the present time and those of
the past. What more shows our advancement, both
materially and aesthetically ? The old straight-backed
forms, dirty and unpaiuted, unadorned, save by the
jack-knife of some rogue, have been the theme of
many a song. The old fire-place, replenished by the
big boys by turns, which so effectually heated " all



3R(5



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



out-doors" to the exclusion of the building intended
to be warmed, is a thiug of the past. Our present
edifices are handsomely painted outside and in. Many
have curtains, and all blinds but one, which does not
admit of them. The town has not a single school-
room now which has not a good blackboard, and good,
and in two instances the best, furniture adorns the
rooms. Three of the school-houses have within the
last five years been reseated with single seats, — No.
2 with detached chairs and desks, and Nos. 4 and 5
with combined desk and chair.

When the district system, so called, was first estab-
lished, the school district became an entity in itself.
The district owned the school-house, hired the teacher,
and supported the school with the aid of the town.
The appropriation made by the town was carefully
divided out among the different districts. That it
was properly done there can be little doubt, when no
district could receive its apportionment except under
the jealous scrutiny of seven sister districts. But in
1847, the power granted by the Legislature to the
town of purchasing the school property from the dis-
trict began to give rise to much friction. Quarrels
became the rule rather than the exception. Law-suits
sprang up, no less a legal light being engaged over
one little fight in town than the great Rufus Choate.
Even his learning and fame, however, failed of victory,
and in the course of half a dozen years the town was
uppermost, and the districts succumbed.

In 1S49 a new school-house, the present airy and
commodious structure, was built at Broad Oak. In
1854, the old and dilapidated edifice in the Assinippi,
or Rocky Swamp District, No. 7, gave place to a new
one, and the same year saw a new house for the use
of District No. 8. No. 4 was remodeled and newly
furnished in 1854, and again in 1S83. In 1880,
under the supervision of, and from plans made by,
J. W. Beal, architect, the school-house on Whiting
Street, in District No. 5 (the oldest and smallest
school-house in town), was replaced by a new and very
handsome building. The old house was in sad re-
pair, and eutirely without blackboard surface, although
when it was erected it was the finest school structure
in town, and had been once (1854) remodeled.

During the year 1S54 the present building in No.
6 was also erected. The present building iu No. 1
was erected iu 1853.

The following table, using the district numbers, is
believed to be substantially accurate :

House in No. 1, built iu 1853; No. 2, in 1840;

No. 3, ; No. 4, remodeled iu 1854 ; No. 5, built

in 1880 ; No. 6, in 1854 ; No. 7, iu 1854 ; No. 8, in
1S54.



From an inspection of the records we learn that
the amount appropriated for the support of schools
has increased from twenty-seven pounds (one hundred
and five pounds old tenor), in 1728, to four thousand
dollars in 1884. This is a fine illustration of the
liberality aud generous public spirit in educational
matters, which the town of Hanover has always
shown. The appropriation for the support of schools
is always passed by an almost unanimous majority.
The present large amount, the largest ever voted by
the town, was increased from three thousand nine
hundred dollars — the amount asked for by the com-
mittee — to four thousand dollars, at the motion of Mr.
Joshua Studley, a public-spirited farmer, and one of
the largest landholders in town.

High School. — When the town hall was burned, in
1803, a new site on the opposite side of the street from
the old location was purchased of Mr. Henry M. Stet-
son. A new building was immediately begun and soon
completed at an expense, including lot, of § 1452.05.
The building is surmounted by a cupola, aud is an
ornament to the village at the Centre. It was built
two stories in height, to accommodate a high school
if the town should ever desire to establish one. The
town hall itself was at the time it was built one of
the largest in this portion of the county, and was
much sought for aud used for balls aud similar enter-
tainments.

By a vote of the town at the annual meeting in
1808 the town voted to establish a high school, aud
appropriated the sum of seveu huudred dollars for
its support. The town was not of suflicient size to
be compelled under the statute to keep and maintain
a high school, and the vote by which the school was
established was passed by a majority of only three or
four. The liberal aud progressive sentiment iu town
triumphed, however, aud although the school had a
precarious existence for several years, yet the town
having taken this step forward has never fallen baek.
To-day thia school is as firmly established iu the good
opinion of the town as any school we have.

The school committee of 1808, Rev. Andrew
Read, Dr. Woodbridge 11. Howes, and Hou. Jedediah
Dwelley, in accordance with this vote in April, 1808,
as a preliminary to opeuiug the schools, held a public
examination, at which any applicants for the position
of teacher of the high school might be present.
But three candidates presented themselves for exam-
ination, — Mr. John G. Knight, Mr. John F. Sim-
mons, and a gentleman from out of the State. Mr.
Knight- was selected, and at ouce entered upou the
duties of his position. This was no sinecure. The



Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 86 of 118)