D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) Hurd.

History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) online

. (page 98 of 118)
Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 98 of 118)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of Dead swamp ; on third Herring brook, below old pond ;
also at Valley swamp, above Jacob's mills; alao a hall-milo
west of Nathaniel Brooks'.

Cedar point, north of the harbour at the Light-house.

Crow point, on the south of the harbour.

Clay pits, in 1650, half-mile east of the "stepping stones."

Cold Spring swamp, 1650, on Merritt's brook.

Cleft rock, back of John Pierce's, north of Conihassctt burying-
ground.

Castle rock, the point at the gulph mill.

Cushing hill (rather modern), half-mile east of Jacob's mill.

Cuuntry road, in 1046, leading to Cobasset, in 1670 the Plym-
outh road.

Cordwood hill, ono mile southwest of the south Meeting-house.



43S



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



Clay pit cartway, southwest of Cordwood hill, and earlier south-
east of old Church hill.

Comet's rocks, iu the north river, oppu^ito the Two-mile mills.

Comet's mill, 1(Jj6, at the Iudian path below uld pond (Major
Winslow's).

Chamberlain plain, northeast of Beaver dam or Dead Swamp.

Candluwoud plain, between Hanover Meeting-house and Drink-
water.

Cricket bole, in 1640, west of Jonah's mill (now called) or But-
tonwood swamp.

Cedar swamp cartway, 1600, from Booth hill to Merritt's brook.

Capt. Jacob's cartway, 1 720, over Beaver dam, at Valley Swamp.

Drinkwater, on the west branch of Indian head river, south of
Hanover.

Daman's Island, 1649, in the gulph marshes.

Eagle's nest swamp, the great swatnp southeast of Beach woods.

Flat swamp, between Mount Blue and Mount Ararat.

Fox hill, one nnlu southwest of Wild cat bill.

Farm neck, or Great neck, north of the harbour to the glades.

Fane Island, 1646, in the marshes at Farm neck.

Great Swamp. (See Eagle's nest.)

Gillman plain, on Plymouth road, south of Valley swamp.

Greenfield, in 1633, etc., south half-mile of second cliff.

Gravelly beach, on North river, east side, two miles above Union
bridge.

Gray's hill, half-mile south of Cordwood hill.

Great neck. (See Farm neck.)

George Moore's swamp and bridge, south branch of first Her-
ring brook.

Groundsell brook, falls into Bound brook, west of Mount Hope.

Groundsell bill, east part of Bell house neck.

Gulph Island, at the mouth of first Herring brook.

Dead swamp, on second Herring brook, one mile from its
mouth.

Dry Cedar swamp, on Merritt's brook, near ancient Studley
place.

Hammer's brook, west of Hanover Meeting-bouse.

Hugh's cross and brook, south branch, third Herring brook, at
Curtis' mill.

Hicke's swamp, east of Brushy hill.

Hoope-pole bill, one mile west of the south Meeting-house.

Hoop-pole neck, near Great or Farm neck, west of stepping-
stones.

Hoop-polo Cedar swamp, west of Hoop-pole lull.

Halifax hill and swamp, one mile southwest mount Blue.

Horse Island, a marsh island near Farm neck.

Hatchet rock, a mile south of the stepping-stones.

Herring brook hill, on which south Meeting-house stands.

Hobart's landing, on North river, a uiilo above Little's bridge.

Doggct's ferry, now Little's bridge

Iron mine, or Indian head river brook, half-mile southwest
Hanover corners.

Indiun path, over third Herring brook, foot of Old pond.

Job's landing, east side North river, below the brick-kilns.

Jenkins' meadow, east sido of Valley swamp.

Johnson's swamp, west of Beach woods and mount Hope.

King's landing, half-mile below Union bridge.

Long marsh, on first Herring brook, above the mills, 1640.

Little marsh, east of the harbour, in 1636.

Log bridge, in 16J0, over third Herriug brook at Elijah Bar-
stow's.

Meeting-house lane, old burying-ground southeast of the har-
bour, 1633.

Merritt's brook, falls into Bound brook above the mills.

Musquashcut pond, at Farm neck, 1637.

Man hill, 1643, east of Musquashcut pond.



Mast hill, or Asp, in the Beach woods.

Mount Hope, on the west of the Town, near Hingham anil
Cohasset corners.

Mount Blue, one mile southeast of mount Hope.

Mount Ararat, one mile northeast of mount Blue.

New found marsh, on Spring brook, west of Dead swamp one-
half mile.

New harbour marshes, from Little's bridge to the cliff's.

New saw-mill, in 1678, above Old pond, at Curtis'.

Old brick-yard, in 1647, southeast of Episcopal Church lull.

Old saw-mill, in 1653, at Stockbridge's, on first Herriug brook.

Old saw-mill, in 1676, on third Herring brook, at Indian path
(at Winslow's).

Old bridge, in 1670, at the east foot of Curtis' hill, or button-
wood hill.

Prouty's dam, 1686, at the road north of Hoop-pole hill.

Prospect hill, at Hinghaiu line, on the Hersey road.

Pine Island, below Little's bridge, also near Cohasset harbour.

Planting Island, Southwest of Great or Farm neck.

Penguin rock, East of Farm neck.

Project dale, west part of Hanover.

Rocky swamp, south of third Herring brook, below Jacob's
mill.

Ridge hill, mile southeast the Town-house; also on Plymouth
road.

Rotten marsh, between Stockbridge's mill and Little's bridge.

Rotten marsh swamp, south of Rotten marsh.

Satint brook, falls into the creek at the harbour.

Savage lot, east of mount Blue, formerly property of Thomas
Savage, Esq., Boston.

Spring swamp, south of Plymouth road, in Hanover.

Spring brook, west branch of second Herring brook.

Slab brook, southwest White Oak plain, now Margaret's brook

Groat Spring swamp, near North river, below Comet's rocks.

Stepping-stones, from the Cohasset road to Hoop-pole neck.

Strawberry cove, or Briggs' harbour, within the glades.

Sweet Swamp, near Cohasset road, a half-mile north of north
meeting-house.

Stony brook, east branch of Merritt's brook.

Stony Cove, on North river, near King's landing.

Schewsan's neck, northeast of Bcllo bouse neck.

Stockbridge's old way, from Stockbridge's mill to Town-house,
etc.

Sand hill, on Stockbridge's uld way, one mile southwest of the
Town-house.

Symon's hill, near Burnt pluin on southwest.

Pincin hill, half mile northeast from the Town-house.

Round head swuuip, south of Eagle's nest swamp.

Rattlesnake hill and rock, half-mile west from Wildcat hill.

Till's creek, 1640, now Dwclley's creek, opposite Grovelly
beach.

Taunton Dean bridge (1630) and brook, southwest of Halifax
hill.

Valley swamp, above Jacob's mill, on second Herring brook.

White oak plain, one mile west of the south Meeting-house.

White oak pluin bridge, on southeast White oak plain.

AVild Cat hill, 1640, north side of old pond, aud south of Curd-
wood hill one mile and a half.

Wolf Trap, near Iron mine brook, in Hanover.

Wigwam neck, near the gulph and lluop-pole neck.

Wouton's brook, east of Hoop-pole hill.

William's ruck, northwest of the light-house.

Walnut Tree hill, half-mile south of Stockbridge's mill.

Walnut hill, west of Beaver dam, on second Herring brouk.

Will's Island, a marsh island near Little's bridge.

Walter Woodworth's hill, northeast part of Waluut Tree hill.




^



^



HISTORY OF SCITUATE AND SOUTH SCITUATE.



439



Fresh marsh, 1690, near Plymouth road.

Buttonwood swnuip, above Jonah's mill, southwest of Church

hill.
Spruce swamp, south of Cordwood hill and second Herring

brook.
Digged bill (IG70), where William James' house stood.
Torrey's bridge (1600), near late Walter Jacob's.
Burdin's forge (1704), now Curtis' anchor-shop, in Hanover.
Stony Brook swamp, southwest of Booth hill.
Henchman's dam (1700), near Halifax hill.
Pickell's hole, half-mile southeast of Black pond hill,
llickes' bole, east side of Great swamp.
Briggs' neck, at Burnt plain swamp.
Jacobs' frame swamp, west of Symon's hill.
Cold west hill, fourth of mile southeast of Buttonwood or

Curtis' hill (16S0).
Wolf swamp ^see Dead swamp), 1673.
Ben's hill, half-mile south of Symon's hill.
Church's hill, on Plymouth road, half-mile nest of Hugh's

cross brook (Hanover).
Wauipee's swamp, southwest of Hanover Meeting-house.
Nichols' bill, mile south of the harbour.
Turkey plain, near Indian head river, in Hanover.
Beach neck, Curtis Street, in Hanover.
Little Cedar swamp, near Indian head river.
Collainore's ledge, midway between Cedar point and the glades.
Egypt, a tract of land adjoining Man hill and Musquashcut

pond.
Queen Anne's corner, on the Plymouth road, at Uingham line,

so called from Ann W hi tun, who kept a tavern at that

place (from 1730) many years.
Ludden's Ford, on North river bridge, on Plymouth road. 1



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



BENJAMIN F. DELANO.

The name Delano is a corruption of the French
De La Noye. The first of the name who came to
America was Philip De La Noye, or Delano, who
was born of French Protestant parents, 1602 ; was
baptized in the " Walloon" Church, and was one of
the Huguenots who fled to Holland, joined the Pil-
grims at Leyden, and came to America in the ship
" Fortune," landing at Plymouth in 1621. He was ad-
mitted a freeman, in 1632; settled in Duxburrow
(now Duxbury), and married, 1634, Hester Dewsbury.
He was a useful mau in the new colony ; was ap-
pointed surveyor of lands, and held other offices. He
was one of the original proprietors of land in Bridge-
water. Later in life he removed to Middleboro',
where he died in 1681.



1 Governor Wintbrop, in his pedestrian journey to Plymouth
in 1631i (Winthrop i. 92), named it Luddam's Ford, "from Mr.
Luddaui, their guide," who carried over the Governor and Rev.
Mr. Wilson on his back. We have no doubt that James
Ludden, an early settler in Weymouth, was this guide, who
had the honor to carry his Excellency a-pick-back.



Benjamin F. Delano, whose portrait appears in
connection with this sketch, was born in South Seit-
uate, Mass., Sept. 17, 1809. He was the son of
William and Sarah (Hartt) Delano, and grandson of
Benjamin Delano, who was a prominent ship-builder
for forty years. Benjamin F. was educated chiefly
under the tutelage of Rev. Mr. Deane, a prominent
minister and teacher in Scituate for many years.
Young Delano early evinced a marked talent and de-
sire for ship-building, and in order that he might be-
come thoroughly versed in the mysteries of the craft,
he was placed in the draughting-oflBce of the Brooklyn
navy-yard, where he remained several years, until lie
had attained his majority. He then returned home,
and, in company with his oldest brother, built a ves-
sel on the North River, where his father had pre-
viously built and launched one of five hundred tons,
the largest that had ever sailed down the river. At
that time ship-building was the principal business of
the town, an industry that is now extinct ou account
of the sand-bar which formed across the river.

About this time Stephen White and others formed
what was known as the Grand Island Company. They
purchased Grand Island, on Niagara River, then a
dense forest of giant-oaks. They engaged Mr. De-
lano to convert this timber into vessels, so, in company
with his two brothers and with twenty picked men
from his native town, he proceeded by stage and
canal — then the only mode of conveyance — to the
island, where ho got out all the timbers for a vessel
and sent them to East Boston, where the vessel was
constructed. It proved a success. The next year
he received a similar commission, and with his
youDgcr brother and almost the same crew of men he
built another vessel. May 10, 1836, he launched
the " Milwaukie," a beautiful vessel of nearly three
hundred tons, which he built at White Haven. It
would be beyond the scope of this brief sketch to
enumerate the many vessels he constructed ; suffice
it to say, he was master of his craft, and one of the
most skillful ship-builders of his day. He built the
first steam vessel that plied between East Boston and
Boston.

Aug. 9, 1847, he received an appointment as naval
constructor. In this capacity he was stationed at
Portsmouth a few years, and was then ordered to
Brooklyn, N. Y., where he remained until his retire-
ment from service, June 11, 1873. During the war
he was one of the most efficient constructors the gov-
ernment had, and built some of their most famous
and valuable vessels. His cares and labors during
this period were unceasing, and his usefulness and
success unquestioned. His energies and powers were



440



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



taxed to their utmost, but night or day he was never
found wanting when duty called.

Upon his retirement from service, — in compliance
with the law that all naval officers should retire at the
age of sixty-two, — Mr. Delano was waited upon at
his home by a committee composed of the foremen
of the different shops formerly under his supervision,
and presented with one of the most elegant and ap-
propriate testimonials of regard that could be de-
signed. It consisted of a series of exquisitely en-
grossed resolutions in a massive and artistically-carved
frame fully eight feet in height; the design represent-
ing a Grecian temple, the architrave of the graceful
pendulous columns being a scroll inscribed with the
designation of the national government, and sur-
mounted by an eagle guarding the national shield,
while anchors, depending from the columns, support
another scroll on which is emblazoned the name of
" Benj. P. Delano, Ksq." Vessels in various stages
of construction, cannon, and other appropriate em-
blems are displayed in various parts of the picture,
and the whole is guarded by two heavier columns,
around which are wreathed siuuous scrolls bearing
appropriate inscriptions. But few men who have
had command of others ever enjoyed so fully the
esteem, confidence, and love of their subordinates in
a like degree with Mr. Delano.

After his duties as naval constructor were termi-
nated, he did not spend his remaining years in idle-
ness. His temperament was too active, and the
habits of a lifetime too strong upon him for him to
lapse iuto a state of inactivity. He gave much at-
tention to the cultivation and improvement of the
home of childhood, and held many positions of trust.
Possessing talents of a very high order, a cultivated
mind, a generous, liberal spirit, coupled with a deep
moral sense, he was truly a uoble specimen of a grand
and true manhood. As a public man he was wise
and decisive in couusel, and so fertile in suggestion
that he was always listened to with reverent heed.
His charities were opcu-hauded wherever there was
need of help. His home and family attachments
were very strong, and the love he bore his mother
runs through his whole life like a silver thread. In
a letter written a short time prior to his death he
says, " I often think of the good lessons my mother
taught me, they are precious to me now." He mar-
ried Jane, daughter of Seth Foster, of Scituate. He
has but one child living, — Alfred Otis. Mr. Delano
died at his home, in Brooklyn, N. Y., April 30, 1882.



EDWAKD IIARTT DELANO.
Edward II. Delano, son of William and Sarah
(Hartt) Delano, and youngest brother of Benjamin
F., was born at the ancestral home in South Scituate,
Aug. 12, 1811. He received his early education at
the same private school his brother attended (Mr.
Deane's), and, like him, spent mauy years in the
draugbting-office of the Brooklyn Navy- Yard. From
his early childhood he manifested a remarkable apti-
tude for and love of drawing, and at a very early age
he draughted several large maps. When he was ouly
twelve years of age a French gentleman employed
him to execute a very difficult piece of drawing, which
he did to the entire satisfaction of the parties for
which it was intended, and for which he would take
no recompense. A long time afterward they sent
him a valuable cane with a richly-engraved gold
head as a testimonial for the service he had rendered.
His was an earnest, active, studious temperament, aud
when a boy he used to walk two miles from his home
to Hanover, return after school hours, do his chores,
attend to his mother's wants, and then walk back to
Hanover to attend an evening class in astronomy, a
study with which he was much fascinated. His rul-
ing talent made itself mauifest here, for he drew on a
plane surface a map from a globe, with all the con-
stellations drawn and painted, quite a wonderful pro-
duction for one of his years. He was an ardent lover
of nature, and apparently his happiest hours were spent
in communion with her. From his childhood he was
always planting trees and flowers about his home, aud
seeking out curiosities and gatheriug specimens of
minerals, thus "finding sermous in stones." His
time spent at the Brooklyn Navy- Yard proved of
great service to him, and he became one of the most
efficient draughtsmen in the naval service. About
1848 he was sent for to be examined at Washington
for the office of naval constructor. There were ten
applicants for the position, and but two to be chosen.
Among the applicants were two sons of naval con-
structors, whose fathers had posted them as fully as
possible as to the probable course of examination, and
Mr. Delano's chance for favorable consideration
seemed poor indeed, as he had neither influence nor
money to operate iu his favor, but only his qualifica-
tions for the post aud an unblemished character on
which to rely. The examination was a rigid one,
aud, to the credit of the committee of examiners,
was conducted on the merits of the candidates. He
braved the ordeal well, and on Juno 19, 1848, he was
commissioned naval constructor, aud ordered to Pen-
sacola, where he superintended the building of the
United States floating dock aud basin. lie built




<&frtd£&



si^v^ti





t^-dsV-j



y



HISTORY OF SCITUATE AND SOUTH SCITUATE.



441



there and at Norfolk and Charlestown, where he was
subsequently stationed, many of the best vessels the
government ever possessed, among which may be
mentioned the United States steam frigate " Merri-
mac" and the " Hartford," which was sent to Russia
and various ports of the world to be exhibited, and
which was chosen by Admiral Farragut as his flag-
ship. Mr. Delano brought to the discharge of his
duties as naval constructor not only a thorough
knowledge of his business, but a geniality of disposi-
tion and a cordial heartiness of manner which en-
deared him to all with whom he associated. When
ordered from Pensacola the men were so warm in
their manifestation of love for him, and regret at his
leaving, that they actually held him in their arms
and implored him not to go.

They presented him with a large silver pitcher as
a souvenir of their regard. While there and at other
stations he led the choir in music, for which he had
a passionate love and remarkable talent.

He married Mary R., daughter of William James,
of Scituate, by whom he had two children, — William
E. (deceased) and Edward Franklin. Upon the de-
cease of his first wife he married Avoline S. Frost, of
South Berwick, Me., June 16, 1858. He died at
Charlestown, Mass., April 9, 1859, while in charge
of that statiou. Remarking on the event of his
death, Commodore Stringham said, " He was the
greatest loss the navy could have had at that time.
Though his life was short, he had a practical genius
aud inspiration for his calling which led him to ac-
complish much, to the satisfaction of the department
of the navy and the gratification of friends." He met
with many disturbing changes in his official life by
being changed from station to statiou, much to the
discomfort aud annoyance of himself aud family ; but
he made a host of friends wherever he went, aud the
breaking up of old ties was but the signal for the
forming of new. He had a love for his profession,
and a high ambition to excel, aud that he did excel
iu whatever he undertook is conceded by all who are
familiar with his life's work. And his labors bear
witness how much of value may be accomplished even
during a comparatively short life by an honest, earn-
est, active man. In fact, the noble traits of character
which he possessed iu such au eminent degree seem
to be characteristic of the family from which he
sprung.

Mr. Delano has three sisters liviug at the old
family homestead, aud the reverent love and esteem
in which they so sacredly hold the memories of their
deceased brothers show them to be possessed of the
same gentle, generous, unselfish dispositions which so



distinguished their brothers, and which has ever
made the family beloved and respected through the
<reneratioD3.



ELISUA JACOBS.

Elisha Jacobs, Esq., was a descendant in direct line
from Nicholas Jacobs, the ancestor of nearly all of that
family name in this part of Plymouth County.

Nicholas Jacobs was one of the earliest settlers of
Hingham. One of his sons, John Jacobs, shared the
tragic fate of so many of the New England pioneers,
and was killed by the Indians. His grandson, David,
came to Scituate about 1688, and settled near what
has since been known as Stockbridge's mill.

Three of David's sons, David, Joshua, aud Dr. Jo-
seph, settled in that part of the town called Assinippi,
and were all leading citizens and large landholders.
They all bore the title of " Master," probably owing
to their having had slaves.

Among the sons of Dr. Joseph was Elisha, born
Aug. 29, 1735. He was the first of three genera-
tions of Jacobs who owned and operated " Jacobs'
brick-yard." His son, Hon. Edward F., took his
father's business. Edward F. was a leading man in
this part of the county. He was a man of great
natural ability, and was trusted and respected by his
neighbors. This is evidenced by the mauy offices
and positions of trust which he filled. For years he
was one of the selectmen of his native towu, also a
representative to the General Court, aud iu 1S36 and
1837 he was one of the Governor's Council. He
married Priscilla Clapp, of Scituate, Jan. 5, 1802,
and had seven children.

Elisha, the subject of this sketch, was his third
child. He was born March 12, 180S, at Scituate, in
the house where, March 18, 1879, he died. In early
life the common schools gave him such educatiou as
their facilities then afforded, aud, desirous of a mer-
cantile career, he left home at the age of seventeen
for a position as clerk in the linen-store of Palmer &
Jacobs, in Boston. A few years after he went to
New York, but returned to Boston after a lapse of
two or three years, and spent there the remainder of
his business life. His younger brother, Frederick,
and himself for many years were associated as part-
ners in a cutlery and fancy goods business. Later he
became a commission merchant, and at that he re-
mained until in 1860 failing health compelled him to
relinquish business cares altogether. He returned to
his boyhood's home, and here spent his remaining
years in retirement. Not by any means was he idle,
however. He carried on the farm bis father had lelt



442



HISTORY OF PLYMOUTH COUNTY.



with a good degree of success, performed for a term
or two tho duties of the school committee of Soutli
Scituate, and for one term held a commission from the
Governor as justice of the peace. While in Boston
he became a member of the order of Odd-Fellows,
beiug a member of, and holding at one time the highest
office iD, Suffolk Lodge.

Increasing years brought increasing ill health, and
at the age of seventy-one years and six days he quietly
breathed his last, falling a victim to heart-disease.

Mr. Jacobs was always a strong Republican in poli-
tics, following the Federalist traditions of his family.
Like his family, too, he was a Universalist in religion,
although during his residence in Boston he attended
a Unitarian Church. As a citizen he was eminently
public-spirited, and, as far as his circumstances per-
mitted, a remarkably liberal man.

In April, 1842, Mr. Jacobs married Delia T.,
daughter of Luke Fay, of Boston. His children are
(1) Elisha Augustus, who married Emma Cushing,
and is now in business in Washington, D. C. He
was a soldier in the Rebellion. (2) Edward Foster,
book-keeper with Farley, Harvey & Co., who married
Mary Highritter, of Fulton, N. Y. (3) Evie Whit-
ing, wife of Alfred L. Farrar, who lives at West
Scituate, and has three children ; aud(4) Hattie Fay,
now living with her mother at the old homestead, at
Assiuippi.



JOHN BRYANT TURNER.

John Bryant Turner was born at Scituate, Dec. 8,
1786. He was the son of Job Turner and Abiel
Bryant and a descendant of Humphrey Turner, a
tanner, who came from Kent, England, arriving at
Plymouth in 1628, and in the next year settled in
Scituate, on Kent Street, on the easterly side of
Coleman's Hills. He was also possessor of a tract
of land on North River, both of which pieces of
property are, we believe, still in possession of the
Turners.

Humphrey Turner erected a tannery about 1636.



Online LibraryD. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) HurdHistory of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (Volume 2) → online text (page 98 of 118)