Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 18 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 18 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


navigation.

A bill was passed by the last territorial legislature, 1889, in aid
of the construction of railroads, that was introduced and pushed
through, with nothing behind it but this project of Sioux Falls to
build a road to Yankton. The writer was sent to Bismarck bv the



166 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Commercial Club of Sioux Palls, and spent thirt\' days in o-etting-
this measure (with others of less importance) throug-h, and while
there reported to R. P. Pettig-rew, then president of the club, that it
seemed impossible to g-et the law enacted, and received in reply a
teleg-ram which directed the writer to "stick, " that it must be done,
and strong-ly intimated that the writer's residence in Sioux Palls
would not be desirable if this measure did not become a law. The
law was enacted, and before the constitution of the state was adopted,
the citizens of Sioux Palls went at this project with a determination
that it should be accomplished. E. A. Sherman in particular, de-
voted a gfood deal of time to the matter, org-anizing- a company and en-
deavoring- to enlist capital in the East, and at one time it seemed as
thoug-h he would be successful. But it was decreed otherwise, and
all hope of aid throug-h any leg-islation after the adoption of the con-
stitution was at an end. On the 27th day of September, 1892, some
of the foremost citizens of Sioux Palls met at the request of Senator
Pettigfrew, "to consider a matter of public interest," and when the
meeting- was org-anized, he stated that the time had come when a rail-
road could be built to Yankton upon certain conditions. The con-
ditions were stated, and the meeting- promptly decided that the re-
quirements were reasonable, and proceeded at once to pledg-e that
the city of Sioux Palls should perform all that was required of her
people. This much having- been accomplished, the Sioux Palls,
Yankton, and Southwestern Railway company was org-anized, with
Senator Pettig-rew as president. On the 31st day of October, the
Arg-us-Leader announced that the g-rading- contracts had been let by
Senator Pettig-rew. Prom this time on, the work prog-ressed rapidly.
On August 15, 1893, the first passeng-ers came from Lennox to Sioux
Palls on a construction train. As the road approached completion,
the Jobbers and Manufacturers Association of Sioux Palls decided
that the road should be opened in due form, and proceeded to ar-
rang-e for an excursion to the Queen City from all points on the line,
and Monda}-, October 19, 1893, was the day fixed upon.

The train left Yankton at 8:20 A. M., consisting- of six coaches,
and arrived in Sioux Palls at 11 o'clock sharp, having- made the run
of sixty-two miles in two hours and forty minutes. The train was
in charg-e of Conductor Aug-ust Burr and Eng-ineer C. N. Oram.
Upon the arrival of the train at the corner of Eleventh street and
Phillips avenue, nearly 700 people disembarked from the cars, and a
procession, headed by the Sioux Palls band, the city council and re-
ception committee, was soon formed, and all falling- in line marched
down Phillips avenue to Eig-hth street and thence up Main avenue to
the council chamber, where the visitors were received and welcomed
by C. A. Jewett, president of the Jobbers Association. Mayor Peck
followed in a speech of welcome on the part of the city. The Yank-
ton fire department, accompanied by the K. P. band of Yankton,
were among- the excursionists, having- received an invitation from the
fire department of Sioux Palls to honor the occasion with their
presence.

The banquet in the evening- was the finest ever g-iven in the city.
The Press of the 20th of October said: "(iermania hall shone re-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 167



s])lendent last nio-ht. The baiKnu't hall with its decorations, its
lio-hts, its beauty and the attending brains, made a yvm that scintil-
lated in the breast of the metropolis of the D.akotas never before
e(|ualled, and lonjj- to be remembered. The mana^-ement of the cele-
bration had turned over the entire mana«>-ement and arrano-ement of
the spread to the Ladies' Industrial Societv and the St. Ag-nes Cxuild
of the Kpiscopal church. Royally the ladies did their duty. The
two societies had for assistants thirty-five young- ladies of this citv,
who, under the supervision of captains, did the service at the tables
in a' manner to do credit to Delmonico's finest. Stout's orchestra
occupied the stao'e and furnished music throuo-hout the entire |)ro-
o-ramme. Seven tables were tastefully arran<j-ed with palms and
rtovvers. Banquet lamps and boundary ribbons of colors to match
were used to divide the tables in sections. Over each section a bevy
of youno- ladies, costumed in the same colors as the decorations, g-ave
the o-uests constant attention. Everything- was the perfection of
order. Every section had distinctive arrang-ement of plate and dec-
oration. Two hundred and seventy-live covers w'ere laid. The ser-
vice was solid silver, and at each cover was a rose boutenniere."
E. W. Caldwell was toastmaster, and Captain W. H. Stoddard,
William Blatt, Esq., of Yankton, W. H. Wait of Lennox, Melvin
Grig-sbv, E. A. Sherman, J. Tomlinson, Jr., Herbert L. Greene,
H. H. Keith of Sioux Falls and Judg-e Georg-e W. Roberts, Otto
Peemiller and W. B. Wilcox of Yankton responded to the toasts.
The speeches were all admirable, but the g-em of the evening- was the
address of Mr. Wilcox. Mr. Tomlinson in closing- his response to the
toast "Sioux Palls and Her Business as a Jobbing- and Manufactur-
ing-Center" said: "And further, I want to pay my respects to one
man who more than any other has made possible the occasion tonig-ht.
A man, who day and nig-ht, can always be found pushing-, working-
and accomplishing- for Sioux Palls, a man who differed with him in
politics, but who ev'ery man in Sioux Palls should be ready and is
ready to honor as her most energ-etic and worthy citizen, the Honor-
able R. P. Pettig-rew." During- the construction of the road, Jacob
Schaetzel, Jr., acted as disbursing- ag-ent, and furnished for publica-
tion the following- list of the stations and their distance from Sioux
Palls: Bvron, 10 miles; Lennox, 17 miles; Davis, 26 miles; Viborg-,
33)^ miles; Irene, 41 miles; Volin, 50 miles; Yankton, 62 miles. On
Monday, October 23, reg-ular trains, both passeng-er and freight,
commenced running- over this line under the manag-ement of the
Great Northern.

Rig-ht here the subject of railroads is dismissed, and althoug-h
nothing- is expected in a work like this but a record of the past, the
writer cannot foreg-o the pleasure of predicting- that in the near
future other railroad enterprises wdll orig-inate in Sioux Palls, be-
come accomplished facts, and bring- additional prosperity to the city
and the country tributary thereto.



168 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.

SCHEDULE OF DISTANCES FROM SIOUX FALLS TO

RAILROAD STATIONS IN THIS COUNTY AND

OTHER IMPORTANT POINTS.

Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha.

From Sioux Palls, gfoing- east, to Brandon 8.6 miles, to Valley
Springfs 15.1 miles, to St. Paul 240 miles; going- west, to Ellis (>,(>
miles, to Hartford 14.2 miles, to Humboldt 20.0 miles.

Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul.

From Sioux Falls, gfoing- north, to Renner 6 miles, Baltic 13.6
miles, Dell Rapids 20 miles, Eg-an 34!2 miles, Flandreau 40.6 miles;
g-oing- south, to Harrisburgf 9 miles. Canton 20 miles. Elk Point 60.7
miles, Sioux City 91.5 miles.

Illinois Central.

From Sioux Falls to East Sioux Falls 6.7 miles, Rowena 0.3
miles, Ben Clare 13.4 miles, Chicag-o 547 miles.

Great Northern.

From Sioux Falls, g"oing north, to Corson 11 miles, Garretson
19 miles, Sherman 22 miles, St. Paul 240 miles; gfoing- south, to
Yankton 63 miles.

Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern.

From Sioux Falls to Chicagfo 554 miles.

Elevation of Stations.

I Omaha depot 1 , 397 feet

^;>- -r> ,, ! Milwaukee depot - - - - 1,395 feet

Moux J^alls - - , Burling-ton depot 1,400 feet

I Great Northern depot 1,420 feet

Brandon 1,319 feet

Corson - 1,362 feet

Garretson 1,457 feet

Sherman 1,396 feet

Dell Rapids .-. 1,485 feet

Hartford 1,564 feet

Valley Spring-s 1,302 feet

Elevation of the Big Sioux River.

Low water mark near Dell Rapids — - - . 1,485 feet

Low water mark above the falls, Sioux Falls 1,380 feet

Low water mark near Brandon 1,281 feet

Low water mark Sioux Citv - - . 1,008 feet



CHAPTER VII.

SOUTH DAKOTA PENITENTIARY COUNTY POOK-FARM
-CHILDREN'S HOME.

On the 8th day of Fehruarv, 1881, a bill that had passed the loiir-
teenth session of the territorial le^-islative assembly, providino- for
the location and g-overnment of a territorial penitentiary, was ap-
])roved by the governor. The law provided that it should be located
on a tract of land not less than eio'hty acres in extent, to be selected
bv the directors therein mentioned, within the corporate limits of
the villag-e of Sioux Palls, Minnehaha county, D. T.; and if a suitable
tract of land could not be obtained within the corporate limits of said
villao-e, then the said penitentiary should be located on such tract of
land as said directors should select within a radius of one mile of the
corporate limits of said villag-e. The law also provided that the pen-
itentiarv should be "erected and constructed under the direction
and g-overnment of three directors" who were to be appointed by the
o-overnor, with the advice and consent of the council, and that they
should immediatelv proceed to contract for the erection of a suitable
building- for a penitentiary of such dimensions as would accomodate
one hundred and twentv-iive to one hundred and fifty persons, at a
cost of land and building-s not to exceed fifty thousand dollars. In
accordance with section 2 of the act, Thomas H. Brown and Richard
H. Booth of Sioux Palls, and Wallace L. Dow of Pierre were ap-
pointed directors.

The following- is a summary of the facts contained in the direct-
ors' report to Governor Ordway, December 23, 1882: That owing- to
the impassable condition of the roads during- the spring- of 1881 the
board was unable to meet until June, at which time it org-anized by
electing- W. L. Dow chairman and T. H. Brown secretary. That two
sites, one located on the Omaha and the other on the Milwaukee line
of railroad, were found suitable. That the sum of five hundred dol-
lars appropriated to pay for the required amount of land for a site
was insufficient. That "the financial difficulty was finally removed bv
the offer of the company securing- the site to pay any deficiency;
and resulted in the selection of the site located on the C, M. and
St. P. railroad. That the United States g-overnment had made an
appropriation of S30,000, for a territorial penitentiary at Sioux Palls,
and by the provisions of chapter 23 of the session laws of 1881, (an
act passed to provide for raising- funds to build the penitentiary; it



170 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



tjfave the directors the rig-ht to receive this sum from the o-overnment,
and they were to place it to the credit of the penitentiary fund, and
if thev did receive it, then they were to raise the balance only, in all
sufficient to make S50,()00.

That the board soon learned after its organization, that the
S30,000 appropriated by the United States g-overnment, could not be
used in the cjnstruction of the contemplated buildings, but upon
consultation with the proper officials, eighty-five acres were pur-
chased, of which eighty-one acres were deeded to the Territory of.
Dakota, and four acres to the United States government. That it
was ag'reed that the government should erect one wing of the pro-
posed building and pay for the four acres five hundred dollars, this
being the amount the directors were permitted to pay for the site.
The location having been settled and the plans and specifications
made, sealed proposals for the construction of the buildings were
advertised for, and on August 30, 1881, the masonry and carpenter
work was let to R. D. Silver of Lincoln, Nebraska, for the sum of
S34,813.80. R. H. Booth was appointed superintendent of construc-
tion. October 27, the contract for the iron work complete was let to
Messrs. Martin & Anderson of Yankton for the sum of S6,550.00.
September 30, 1882, a final settlement was made with R. D. Silver,
and on November 22, with Martin & Anderson, their work being-
completed.

On the 13th day of December following, twenty-nine prisoners
were transferred to the building- from Detroit, Michigan, and placed
in charge of C. M. Koehler as warden. Territorial bonds in the sum
of $50,000 were issued, running for a period of twenty years, and
payable at the option of the territory after a term of five years, bear-
ing interest at the rate of 6 per cent per annum, payable semi-annu-
allv, and were sold at a premium of one thousand five hundred and
twenty-two dollars and fifty cents. The appropriation made in 1881,
for directors and warden, and subsistence of prisoners, was eighteen
thousand dollars. The cost of the land, buildings, water supply,
heating and cooking apparatus, pay of directors, and numerous mis-
cellaneous items, was in all the sum of fifty-nine thousand six hun-
dred and twelve dollars and ninety cents.

In 1883, W. L. Dow and R. H. Booth of Sioux Falls and George
P. Harvey of Minto, were appointed directors. The leg-islature
made an appropriation of seventy-seven thousand six hundred and
fifteen dollars to defray the ordinary expenses of the institution for
two years ensuing-; and at the same session directed the territorial
treasurer to issue bonds in the sum of thirty thousand dollars to
provide funds to pay the cost of constructing- a boiler house, laundry,
hospital, a prison for females, residence for warden, steam heating,
machinery and tools, finishing main building, and purchasing or
leasing stone quarry. The bonds were to run twenty years, with
the same rate of interest and upon the same conditions as the first
issue of bonds for the penitentiary. From the directors' report,
bringing the affairs of the penitentiary down to December 1, 1884, it
would appear that all the improvements contemplated had been com-
pleted, and that nearly all the common labor and carpenter work had



HISTORY OF JVxii\i\EHAHA COUNTY. 171



l^een performed by the prisoners. Prom the warden's report it aj)-
pears that on December 1, 1883, there were in confinement sevent\'-
five prisoners, and on December 1, 1884, one hundred. Prom Janu-
ary 1, 1883, to December 1, 1884, fifty-nine prisoners had been re-
ceived — two sentenced for life, and the remaining- fifty-seven for such
terms as made the averao-e two years and six months.

On the 20th day of February, 1885, by an act of the leg-islature,
the g-overnment of the penitentiary was placed in the hands of five
directors, to be appointed by the g-overnor with the advice and con-
sent of the council. Jacob Schaetzel, Jr., B. P. Campbell, William
McBain, H. S. Hills of Sioux Palls, and Gust A. Uline of Dell Rap-
ids, were appointed as directors. Amos P. Shaw was elected warden
and Andrew J. Mills deputy. Mr. Koehler's connection with the in-
stitution terminated in June, 1885. On the 19th day of October,
188(), Mr. Hills died, and Henrv T. Corson was elected bv the board
to fill the unexpired term. In 1887, W. H. Corson, Porter P. Peck,
E. P. Beebe and John Murray of Sioux Palls, and Phil Runkle of Sa-
lem were appointed directors; Daniel S. Glidden warden and Den
Donahoe deputy warden; John J. Patton clerk.

In 1889 the territorial leg^islature enacted a law by which the
public institutions of Dakota were each to be g-overned by a Board of
Trustees, to consist of live members, two of them to hold their office
for the period of two years, and three for a period of three years.
The trustees for the penitentiar}^ were Roy Williams president,
(iust A. Uline secretary, J. P. Perg-uson, O. S. Pendar and B. S.
Williams, Theodore Kanouse was elected warden, and C. T. Jeffers
deputy warden; John J. Patton clerk.

At the first session in 1890, of theleg-islature of the State of South
Dakota, a law was enacted, bv which the penitentiary and the school
for deaf and dumb, located at Sioux Palls, the hospital for insane at
Yankton and the reform school at Plankinton, were placed under the
control of five commissioners, who constituted a State Board of
Charities and Corrections. By the provisions of this law, one of the
commissioners held the office for one year, two for the term of three
vears, and two for five years. Governor A. C. Mellette appointed
J. M. Talcott of Elk Point for one year, G. A. Uline and Z. Richey
for three years, C. M. Howe and Robert W. Haire for five years. The
board org-anized March 28, 1890, and elected G. A. Uline president,
and Z. Richey secretary. Two important laws were enacted at this
session of the leg^islature, bearing' upon the term of imprisonment of
persons confined in the South Dakota penitentiary. One of them re-
lated to the parole of prisoners, and the other, g-ood time to be earned
b}' them. The law relating- to the parole of prisoners, in substance
provided, that the board should have power to establish rules and
reg-ulations under which any prisoner who was then or thereafter
mig-ht be imprisoned under sentence other than for murder in the
first or second deg-ree, who had served the minimum term provided
by law for the crime for which he was convicted, and who had not
previously been convicted of a felony and served a term in a penal
institution, mig-ht be allowed to g-o upon parole outside the building's
and enclosures, but while on parole to remain in the legfal custody
and under the control of the board.



172 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



The other law in relation to g-ood time provided, that "every
convict sentenced for any term less than life, who shall have no in-
fraction of the rules and reg-ulations of the penitentiary or laws of
the state recorded ag-ainst him, shall be entitled to a deduction of his
sentence for one year, and pro rata for any part of a year when the
sentence is for more or less than one year, as follows: Prom and in-
cluding- the first year up to the third, a deduction of two months for
each vear; from and including- the third 3^ear up to the fifth year,
a deduction of seventy-five days for each year; from and including-
the fifth vear up to the seventh year, a deduction of three months for
each vear; from and including- the seventh year up to the tenth year,
a deduction of one hundred and five days for each year; from and in-
cluding- the tenth year up to the fifteenth year, a deduction of four
months for each year; from and including- the fifteenth year up to
the twentieth year, a deduction of five months for each year; from
and including- the twentieth year up to the period fixed for the ex-
piration of the sentence, six months for each year."

These laws took eifect ninety days after the adjournment of the
leg-islature.

Bv virtue of the power conferred, the hoard estal)lishe(l rules
for paroling- prisoners, which were in substance as follows:

1. That the warden should not recommend prisoners for parole,
except upon request of the board, and then his recommendation
should be limited "to a statement of g-ood time earned by the prisoner
and his conduct during- confinement."

2. No prisoner should be paroled until satisfactory evidence
had been furnished the board in writing-, stating- that employment
had been secured for the prisoner "from responsible persons."

3. No prisoner should be paroled who had not been obedient to
the rules of the penitentiarv for at least six months preceding- his
application for parole.

4. No prisoner should be paroled until the board was satisfied
that he would conform to the rules of the parole.

5. Every paroled prisoner should be liable to be retaken and
ag-ain confined, for any reason that should be satisfactory to the
board.

b. It should require the afiirmative vote of at least four mem-
bers of the board to g-rant a parole.

The last rule (the seventh) prescribed the form of the parole to
be issued to the prisoner, in which was clearly set forth what the pa-
roled prisoner must do to keep his parole in force.

During- the time the law was in force the board paroled eig-hty-
two prisoners and such was the character of some of the prisoners
paroled, and the g-reat leng-fh of time they had to serve when paroled,
that the people of the state became alarmed, and on the 27th day of
February, 1893, repealed the law of 1890. By the report of the board
it appears that thirty-eig-ht prisoners had been paroled during- the
first six months after the law went into operation, and that from De-
cember 1, 1890, to June 30, 1892, twenty-seven were paroled, and
sixteen more after this date and prior to February 27, 1893.

Upon examination of the records at the penitentiary, it appeared



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 173



that the twenty-seven prisoners paroled between Deceml^er 1, 18*)(),
and June 30, 1892, had received sentences amountin<i" in the ay"t>-re-
o-ate to seventy-nine years and three months, and that the a<^-^-reg-ate
time they had served when paroled amounted to only thirty-one years,
nine months and seven days. With such a record it is unnecessarv
to add, that the repealing- law had an emerg-encv clause.

Mr. Kanouse was warden until June 1, 18^2, when he resigned,
and was succeeded by I. R. Spooner, who held the position until
April 3, 1893. At that time, N. E. Phillips assumed the wardenship,
and remained in charg-e until May, 1899, when he was succeeded bv
the present incumbent, John A. Bowler of Sioux Palls.

This institution has been very fortunate in the selection of war-
dens, all of them having- prov^ed to be competent and faithful officials.
Shaw, Glidden and Phillips, all residents of the city of Sioux Falls,
were in charg'e ten years.

During- the administration of Mr. Phillips, the convicts were set
to work upon the construction of a stone wall enclosing- about two
acres of g-round. Before the wall was commenced it was estimated
that it would cost S36,000, but Mr. Phillips so conducted the enter-
prise that it cost the State less than $12,000. The wall is 1,182 feet
in lengfth, about 30 feet in height, and 11 feet in thickness at the
base, and has a gfuard walk near the toj) the entire lengfth.

July 1, 1899, there were one hundred and twenty-nine prisoners
confined in this institution.

MINNEHAHA COUNTY POOR-FARM.

At a session of the board of countx' commissioners on b'^ebruary,
11, 1880, the proposition of N. E. Phillips to sell to the county the
southeast quarter of section twenty-seven in Mapleton townshij) For
a county poor-farm was accepted. The price paid was 515,000. I^^or
several years after the occupation of this farm by the countv, \er\-
few improvements were made, but at a session of the county commis-
sioners in April, 1889, a contract for building" a county poorhouse
thereon was awarded to A. S. Leonard for the sum of ?6,720, and on
the 24th of September following-, the building-, having- been com[)lete(l,
was turned over to the count}" and accepted b}- the commissioners.
Since that time other improvements have been made, but as they ap-
pear in the illustration, no further description is g-iven. The farm
is g-radually being- made self-sup])orting-, and its manag-ement and the
care of the inmates of the poorhouse have for the g-reater portion of
the time been under the supervision of competent superintendents.
The present superintendent is Jose])h Hostetter, and the poor-farm
has been under his able manaii-ement since Juh- 1, 1895.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY 175



CHILDREN'S HOME.

The first work done in South Dakota in behalf of homeless and
neg-lected children was commenced in October, 1891, by the Rev.
I. R. McConneg-hey in connection with a similar work in North Da-
kota, with headquarters at Far^o, and under the manaofement of the
Minnesota department of the Children's Home society.

The society soon realized that the territory was too lar^ij-e for one
man to thoroug-hly care for, and decided to open another Home in
this state. With this end in view, the Rev. E. P. Savage of St. Paul,
Rev. J. R. McConneo-hey and W. B. Sherrard visited Sioux Palls in
December, 1892, and laid their plans before the pastors and Christian
workers of the city. They were cordially received; and it was
ag-reed that the Woman's Benevolent Association should take charo^e
of the local work. They also agreed to assume the responsibility of
paying- the rent, furnishing- the house and providing- it with fuel.



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 18 of 99)