Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 20 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 20 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


that time the building has been materially enlarged, and its ca])acitv
as a young ladies' boarding- school greatly increased.

In 1896, an endowment fund for All Saints School of S1<>,<H)0 was
presented to Bishop Hare by some of his Philadelphia friends, to
mark the completion of his twenty-two years' work as Missionar\-
Bishop.

Since the opening of the school in September, 1885, it has been
in charge of Bishop Hare as president and Miss Helen Peabodv as
principal, assisted by an able corps of teachers, and its patrons have
l^een more than pleased with its work and progress, as their mes-
sag-es of good will and confidence to the management will verifv.

The buildings are pleasantly located, with ample, well kept
grounds, and the arrangements are such as to insure the health and
comfort of teachers and pupils. The course of instruction is com-
plete, and the young ladies attending this school enjov all the ad-
vantages of a refined home life.



190 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



LUTHERAN NORMAL SCHOOL.

In the southern part of the city near the South Sioux Palls
street car line this school, more generally known as the "Norwegian
CoUeg-e," is located. It is a handsome stone structure, erected in
1889 at a cost of $25,000. The citizens of Sioux Falls offered a bonus
of S8,000, Pettig-rew & Tate donated four acres of land, and the re-
maining expenses were paid by subscription and by the Lutheran
Synod. The school is supported in part by fees paid by the pupils
for tuition, the balance of the expenses being provided for by the
Synod. During the fall of 1894 a three-story granite-veneered dor-
mitory was constructed, which has proved a great advantage to the
college. Its interior arrangements are very complete, comfortable
and pleasant, with all modern conveniences. It was dedicated with
appropriate exercises on the 3d day of January, 1895.

The school commenced in the fall of 1889, with fifty pupils and the
following faculty: Prof. A. Mikkelsen, teacher of the Norwegian
language and theology; Prof. Munson, science and mathematics;
Miss S. Mikkelson, instrumental music, and Mr. O. Otterson, vocal
music. Prof. Mikkelsen resigned his position in the fall of 1891,
when Prof. L. Aga was appointed to fill the vacanc3^to the end of the
school year. In 1892-3 the Rev. C. N. Peterson was principal of the
school, "and he was succeeded by Prof. H. B. Hustvedt.

In 1894, Prof. H. B. Hustvedt was principal and teacher of the
German language; Prof. Hougan, bookkeeping, writing, geography
and arithmetic; Prof. Christianson, sciences; Miss K. Johnson, pre-
ceptress and teacher in English literature and history; Miss S. Mik-
kelsen, instrumental music; Miss M. Larson, vocal music; Prof.
Langseth, Norwegian language, literature and church history; Prof.
A. Mikkelsen, New Testament exegesis, catechetics and pneumatics.

In 1895, the teachers were the same as the year previous, with
the exception of Miss Larson, teacher of vocal music, who was suc-
ceeded by Carl Mannemd.

In 1896, the faculty consisted of Prof. A. Mikkelsen, principal;
Miss Karen Johnson, preceptress; Prof. P. Langseth, Prof. C.
Christianson, and Miss M. Galby, a graduate of the Boston Conserv-
atory of Music.

The course of study is four years, and is open to both sexes for
the purpose of training young people to become teachers in common
and parochial schools. No pupils are admitted under fourteen years
of age.

This school has become deservedly popular, and its patrons are
not limited to the County of Minnehaha or its immediate vicinity.
The graduating class in 1899 numbered seventeen, and the number
of pupils has been as high as one hundred. It is one of the institu-
tions of learning of which the people of Sioux Palls are justly proud.



CHAPTER IX.

AGRICULTURAL FAIRS— CARNIVAL - RACES AND RACE

HORSES.



COUNTY FAIRS.



The first uy ricultural fair held in the C(ninty of Minnehaha oc-
cupied two days, the 8th and 9th of Octol^er, 1874. There is only a
brief record in existence as to its doint>-s, but it is possible it may be
complete thoug^h it is brief. It is important, however, as bein.o- the
iirst fair held in the county.

The societ}' was called the Minnehaha County A<*-ricultural
Society. Artemas Gale was president, G. J. Skinner secretary and
C. K. Howard treasurer. Porter P. Peck was chief marshal, and
there was quite a number of persons scattered about the count\- w ho
were vice presidents of this society.

There were 112 premiums advertised to be paid to the exliibitors,
amountino- in all to S77.25. Althouo-h the weather was fine and the
attendance g"ood, and all the o'fficials lookino- carefully after their re-
spective departments, still the meritorious exhibits were so limited
that onlv twentv-eig-ht premiums were awarded, amounting- in all to
S21.75. ■ - -

It has been so long- since this fair delig-hted the residents of the
county that it has passed from the memory of the participants
whether the premiums were paid in full or not.

In 1882, after the matter of fairs had remained dormant for
years, the people of Sioux Falls awakened to the fact that an exposi-
tion was desirable, and an org-anization was perfected called the
Sioux Falls Exposition. (xreat preparations were made for the
event. (t rounds were secured s(nith of the citv and a race track
made in a corn field. Four halls and an amphitheatre were erected,
stalls for horses and cattle, and sheds for sheep and hog-s were con-
structed, over 275,000 feet of lumber being- used. The fair was held
September 13, 14 and 15, the exhibits were quite larg-e, and there
was a g-ood attendance, but a hig-h wind made it very uncomfortable.
It was not a financial success, and the premiums could not be paid in
full. W. C. Boyce was the most active person in this movement,
and became the secretar}' of the association; R. F. Pettig-rew was
elected president, but not being- able to g-ive his attention to the
enterprise R. M. Crawford of Brooking-s was elected to the place.

13



194 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



In 1883 the second annual fair of the Sioux Palls Exposition was
held in Sioux Falls September 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. In order to
make this fair a success the people of Minnehaha county worked with
g-reat vigor not only to secure a large attendance but also large ex-
hibits, and to give the people who should attend, full compensation
for their time and money. Six thousand dollars was offered in prizes
and purses, one thousand dollars being for one race. New buildings
were erected, the amphitheatre enlarged, the stalls and sheds for
stock were increased in number, the race track put in good condition,
and excursion rates procured over the railroads for passengers, and
special freight rates for stock and other articles for exhibition. The
weather was favorable and the attendance at the fair, although not
what was expected, was reasonably good. It was during this fair
that a man by the name of Clark appeared on the grounds with what
looked to be an ordinary farm horse, and entered him in a running
race, making a good deal of boast about how fast the horse was, and
that he would back the horse for a small amount to win the race.
He was accommodated, and after the race the sports handed over to
the owner of "Ben Lee" about S6()0. Bob Kneebs was on the wrong
side of the betting in this race. This fair was not a financial success,
the management being about S2,00(> behind.

In February, 1884, several farmers of Minnehaha county met in
the office of G. J. Skinner in Sioux Falls to take the initiatory steps
towards the organization of the Sioux Valley Farmers' and Dairy-
men's Association. This association was finally organized with
M. T. Hogaboom as president. During the summer the management
determined to have an exposition on September 24, 25 and 26, at the
driving park in Sioux Falls.

Quite extensive preparations were made to make this fair a suc-
cess. The weather on the first day was all that could be desired,
but the attendance was small. The second day the wind blew a gale
and was one of the most disagreeable days ever experienced in Sioux
Falls. The third day it began raining in the morning and it poured
all day. Further comments would be superfluous.

The next fair in the county was held on September 15, 10, 17 and
18, 1885, at the driving park in Sioux Falls. During the winter pre-
ceding an agricultural society had been organized in Sioux Falls
called the Southeastern Dakota Agricultural Society, and its first
exposition was held as above. The weather was favorable, the ex-
hibits good, the races satisfactory, and the management, after having
paid all the expenses and premiums, had $29. 9<) left in the treasurv.

On September 22, 23 and 24, 1886, the Southeastern Dakota
Agricultural Society held its second annual fair at the base ball park
on Duluth avenue between Ninth and Tenth streets. Temporary
buildings had been erected, but there was no race track. The ex-
hibits were quite large and the attendance good. A novel feature of
this fair was the great number of brief addresses made by prominent
gentlemen of Sioux Falls. Jvidge J. F. Kellev of Ohio also delivered
an address on the last day.

' Since 1886, three State fairs, in 1891-2-5, and the Tri-state fair
inl896, have been held in Sioux Falls, but there has been no County
fair organization attempted.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY, 195



STATE FAIRvS.

The ley-islative assembly of the Territory of Dakota in 1885, cre-
ated a department of ao-riculture for the promotion of ajjfriculture.
horticulture, manufactures and domestic arts.

The mana^-ement of this department was entrusted to a l)oard
styled the Territorial Board of Agriculture, to consist of one presi-
dent and a vice president from each lej^islative district of the terri-
tory, to be elected at Mitchell on the 17th day of June, 1885, and
thereafter on the fair g-rounds on Wednesday of the week of the
annual fair, by the deleo-ates chosen by the several ag-ricultural
societies in counties where they existed, and in counties where there
were no such societies, the delegates were to be appointed by the
county commissioners of such counties. By the provisions of this
law each county was entitled to three deleg^ates. The officers of the
board were to serve without pay, except the secretar}^ and treasurer,
but were to receive mileao^e one way between their homes and the
])lace of the meetin.i>-.

In 1887, the territorial legislature amended the law of 1885, cre-
ating two districts, which were to be managed by two boards styled
District Boards of Agriculture. District number one comprised all
that part of the Territor}- of Dakota lying south of the seventh
standard parallel, and district number tw^o all that portion lying
north of said parallel. The only change made in reference to the
officers of the boards, their election and compensation, was to pay
the members of the boards, in addition to mileage, their actual ex-
penses when in attendance upon the meetings.

In 1889, the territorial legislature appropriated S10,000, to be
paid in equal moieties to the district boards, to be used only in the
payment of premiums and expenses contingent upon the holding of
annual fairs.

The first legislature of the State of South Dakota in 1890, made
no amendments to the law, and made no appropriation to the state
board of agriculture.

In 1891, the legislature appropriated to the state board of agri-
culture the annual sum of S2,000 for the payment of premiums and
contingent expenses for holding annual fairs for the vears 1891 and
1892.

The legislature of 1893 made no appropriation to the state board
of agriculture for that vear, but appropriated S2,50() for the \ear
1894.

In 1895, the legislature made no appropriation whatever, and de-
feated a bill providing for the payment of the indebtedness of the
board, amounting to a little over S5,()00. At this session of the legis-
lature a bill was passed authorizing the board of agriculture to lo-
cate the state annual fair at such place as the board might think best,
for a term of not less than five nor more than ten years.

At a meeting of the state board of agriculture on the 19th day of
March, 1895, at Huron, it was decided to locate the state annual fair
at Sioux Falls for the term of six years, and on the 22d day of March
the board entered into a contract with Clark G. Coats for the old



1% HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



fair o-rounds near his residence, and with certain citizens of Sioux
Falls for the annual payment of certain sums to the board, in consid-
eration of holding- the state fairs at Sioux Palls.

The officers of the state board of agriculture in lcS95 were Oscar
P. Kemp of Watertown, president; J. E. Piatt of Clark, treasurer;
Morris H. Kelly of Aberdeen, secretary.

The fairs have been held at the following- places: At Huron in
1885 and 1880; at Mitchell in 1887 and 1888; at Aberdeen in 1889 and
1890; at Sioux Falls in 1891 and 1892; at Aberdeen in 1893 and 1894.

The annual state fair for 1895 commenced at Sioux Falls on Sep-
tember 30, and was an interesting- fair in many respects, and we can-
not foreg-o the pleasure of placing- before our readers some of its
most salient features.

Owing- to some acts of commission and omission that occurred
between the board and the other parties to the contract of March,
1895, matters were g-reatly delayed in making- the necessary prepa-
rations for the exposition, and when the real work commenced it had
to be done in a hurry.

So far as Secretary Kelly is concerned, the writer wishes to
place upon record that he acted as promptly as circumstances would
permit, and came to Sioux Falls several weeks before the fair and
remained there most of the time attending- to the duties of his office
to the best of his ability.

If the management were unfortunate in getting- the fair adver-
tised, a committee composed of Sioux Falls business men made up
for the defect by putting in operation such plans as informed all the
people who would naturally visit the exposition that there was to be
a fair held in Sioux Falls, and that it would be a fair such as had
never before been seen in South Dakota.

The weather was simply perfect, and the exhibits surpassed
anything- ever brought together in South Dakota. It was not a horse-
racing affair, but a grand exhibit of the products of the state. Some
of the county exhibits were exceeding-ly fine, and it Avould have been
creditable to any county in the United States to have made an equally
fine display of its products.

The art hall was tastily decorated by a committee composed of
Mrs. W. G. George, Miss "Belle Beveridg-e and Miss Alice Phillips,
and was filled with such a fine display of pictures and textile fabrics
that made Dakotians proud of their state. The business men of
Sioux Falls had erected an arcade on the fair grounds, forty feet
wide and two hundred feet long, which was filled with a magnificent
display of g'oods. It was elegantly decorated, and much credit is
due to a committee of ladies of Sioux Falls, of which Mrs. T. J.
Foley was chairman, for its artistic arrangement.

At five o'clock in the afternoons of Wednesday, Thursday and
Friday during the fair week, balloon ascensions were made from the
grounds in front of the grand stand by Professor W. Z. Love of
Indianapolis, Ind., which were declared b\' all who witnessed them
to be the finest ever seen in this locality. The Brookings band, the
best in the state, the attractive Juvenile band of Mitchell and the
Santee Indian band, composed of Sioux Indians in costume, fur-
nished as fine music as anv state fair could wish for.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 3*^7



What the fair manag-ement failed to procure in the way of special
attractions the citizens of Sioux Palls supplied throuo-h the efforts of
a special committee, with J. Tomlinson, Jr., as chairman. A ban-
c[uet to the editors of the state; a barbeque for the farmers, on tlie
island; a bicycle tournament; parades of the travelintjf men, the
Knig-hts of P\'thias, the Shriners and other secret societies, and
illumination of the streets of the city during" fair week, were some of
the principal attractions provided by the city of Sioux Palls for her
gfuests.

The attendance was larg-e, but the fair was not a financial suc-
cess, and the board was sev-erely criticised by the people and news-
papers for not paying- the premiums in full.

The writer was in this boat, being- one of the members of the
board, and has nothing- to say by w^ay of extenuation or vindication
of himself, except that he never labored more faithfully for the suc-
cess of any enterprise and never received so small compensation for
services performed.

The last state fair has been held at Sioux Palls under the exist-
ing- laws g-oxerning- the state agfricultural board.

THP TRI-STATE FAIR.

The attendance during- the state fair at Sioux Falls in 1895 was
so larg-e, and the benefits resulting- therefrom so apparent to the
business men in the citv that early in the spring- of 1896 a public
meeting- was called to consider the expediency of org-anizingf an asso-
ciation for the purpose of having- a fair in Sioux Palls during- the fall
of that year. The sentiment was nearly unanimous in favor of the
plan, and after several meeting's an org-anization was perfected which
was called the Tri-State Pair Association. J. Tomlinson, Jr., was
elected president, and had associated with him the best business
men in the city. Prom the outset it was voted that the fair should
be a success financially, and to secure this beyond question a cash
deposit of five thousand dollars was demanded by the manag-ement
from the citizens of Sioux Palls to secure the payment of the pre-
miums offered and expenses incurred by the association. The
amount was raised, and the association went to work with great
energfy and enthusiasm to g-ive the people the best fair ever held in
the state. In the matter of premiums a new departure was decided
upon. Xo individual premiums were offered by the association for
the exhibit of horses, cattle, sheep, swine, poultry, g-rain, seed and
veg-etables, in fact for anything-, except county agricultural exhibits
as such, and one hundred and fifty dollars for butter and cheese.
Private individuals in the city offered special premiums, but they
were limited to a small class of exhibits. In place of the usual ex-
hibits and premiums for the same, the manag-ement determined upon
presenting- some rare attractions to secure the attendance necessar\-
to insure success.

The first day Buffalo Bill w ith his Wild West Show appeared on
the g-rounds. There was a larg-e crowd in attendance, and when he
left he took with him a larg-e per cent of the people's half dollars that



198 HISTORY OF- MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



might otherwise have been exchang-ed for tickets upon the subse-
quent days of the fair.

Hig"h-divino- men and horses, balloon ascensions, bicycle contests,
horse racing-, elk trotting-, and shooting- exhibitions were the princi-
pal specialities on the g-rounds, and the city at nig-ht was g-randly il-
luminated and the people entertained at banquets and by political
speakers of national reputation. The exhibits were fair and in some
respects admirable, especially in the art department which was un-
der the manag-ement of Arthur C. Phillips, who had labored indus-
triously for several weeks to make it attractive. Nothing- was left
undone to secure a larg-e attendance of the people, but notwithstand-
ing- the mig-hty efforts put forth it was not a financial success.

SIOUX FALLS CARNIVAL.

During- the year 1897, the people of Sioux Palls took a much
needed rest, and no effort was made in the county to have an ag-ri-
cultural fair or exposition of any kind whatever. But during- the
spring- and early summer of 1898, under the inspiration of the Busi-
ness Men's Leag-ue, the business men of Sioux Palls decided to have
a carnival during- the fall. An org-anization was perfected, and those
who had the project in charg-e worked industriously to make it a suc-
cess. Wednesday, the 12th day of October was fixed upon as the
opening- day. Various attractions had been secured, and the carni-
val was well advertised. But the 12th of October proved to be any-
thing- but an ideal day for carnival sports, in fact, the rain prevented
the carrying- out of the prog-ram. The next day, Thursday, there
was an improvement in the weather and during- the evening- the har-
vest parade (postponed from the evening- before) and the bicycle pa-
rade were merg-ed, and made a splendid display. Priday, German
day, was a success, and althoug-h the outside attendance was not as
larg-e as expected, there were at least four or five thousand strang-ers
in the city. Pootball g-ames, balloon ascensions, professional bicycle
races, cake walks, and, best of all, an industrial parade Friday eve-
ning, broug-ht Sioux Falls' first carnival to such a successful con-
clusion that for a few years at least, an annual carnival will be one of
the events looked forward to by the residents of the Queen City and
vicinity.

RACING AND RACE HORSES.

Late in the seventies there was a half-mile race track on section
seven, in Wayne township, owned by Frank Porde. The people of
Sioux Falls would occasionally g-o out there and have a few hours'
sport. At that time there were no fast horses in the county, com-
paratively speaking-, but it was on this track that the g-rading - up pro-
cess commenced. In 1882, when the Sioux Palls Exposition was
formed, one of the features of this enterprise was the making- of a
half-mile race track, and during- the fairs of that year and 1883 some
g-ood racing-, both trotting- and running-, was had on this track.
These races undoubtedly inspired some of the lovers of g-ood horses
in Sioux Falls to secure a better class of race horses. In any event.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNtV. 1<)9



it was about this time that several parties in the city beo^an to pur-
chase hig-h-bred trotting* horses, and some of them have attracted
more than local attention, particularly Moody, Fanchon and Little
Mike. Prairie Lily, a young- pacing- filly that secured a national rep-
utation in 18*)5, was bred in Sioux Palls by J. W. Boyce, and M.
Cxrig-sby's Pinta, a pacing- colt, also won distinction in fast classes
the same season.

But to g-o back a little and consecutively follow the different
schemes which have materialized in Sioux Falls for the training- of
race horses. The exposition in 1883 having- proved a financial fail-
ure, the horsemen secured the holding- of a turfmen's cong-ress at the
Cataract House on the 5th day of March, 1884, and organized the
"Sioux City and Dakota Circuit." On the 14th day of the same
month the Sioux Falls Driving- Park association was org-anized with
a capital of S20,0()0, and the old g-rounds were fitted up for the use of
the circuit. On the 11th and 12th days of June following-, a race
meeting was held on these grounds. The attendance was fair, and
the entertainment good, although no fast time was made. The next
meeting was held June 17, 18 and 19, 1885, and like the one the year
before, it afforded the public a great amount of pleasure, but was not
a financial success, and the g-rounds were finally disposed of. Thi'
fastest time made during these races was 2:26 >^.

In the summer of 1888 C. G. Coats decided to build a half-mile
track on his farm south of the city, and on the 21st day of September
he had it completed and ready for use. Some pretty good races
were had on this track. In 1891 the location of the state fair was se-
cured by Sioux Falls, and Mr. Coats, at great expense, built a kite
track upon A'hich races were had during the fair of that year and the
year following.

Early in 1893 a few enterprising- gentlemen in Sioux Falls organ-
ized the Sioux Falls Driving association, and rented the fair grounds
— tracks and buildings — of Mr. Coats for a term of years, and pro-
ceeded at once to make arrangements for a great trotting meeting to
be held July 18, 19 and 20 following. Quite large purses were offered,
but at the appointed time the attendance was not as large as was ex-
pected, considering the inducements offered by the association, some
of the fastest horses in the Northwest being on the grounds.

The following year the association made great efforts for a suc-
cessful trotting meeting. It was well advertised, good purses of-
fered, fast horses secured, the time opportune and the weather fine,
but it was not a financial success. This meeting was held on July



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 20 of 99)