Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 29 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 29 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


2C)8 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



in 185G. He lived there and in Iowa and Kansas before coming- to
this countv, where he located in the fall of 1887. He is the owner of
four hundred and eig-hty acres of land in sections 20 and 27 in Valley
Spring-s, where he resides and has a gfood farm.

Harvey, Charles, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1851.
He lived in Winneshiek county, Iowa, eig-hteen years, and removed
to this county in 1873. He then located upon his present farm, the
southeast quarter of section 28, in Valley Spring-s, which he proved
up as a homestead. It is now a first-class farm, withg-ood building-s.
Mr. Harvey is a good farmer and a g-ood citizen, and has been chair-
man of the town board and assessor several years.

Johnson, Gustaf, was born March 31, 1840, in the city of Jon-
koping, Sweden. In 1872 he emig-rated to the United States, and
lived in New York and Connecticut, and removed to Dakota and lo-
cated in this county in the fall of 1877, where he has since resided.
He took up as a homestead the northeast quarter of section 6, in
Valley Spring-s, where he eng-ag-ed in farming-, and now has a well
improved farm, with good building-s. He is a g-ood reliable citizen.

Johnson, John O., was born July 2, 1843, in Wisconsin, and
came to this county in September, 1873, and settled in Valley
Spring-s. He took up as a homestead the northeast quarter of sec-
tion 33, and as a tree claim the northwest quarter of the same sec-
tion, where he resided until Aug-ust 3, 1896, when he was accidentally
killed. He held various town offices and was an enterprising- and re-
spected citizen. During- the civil war he enlisted in Company A, 4th
Wisconsin reg'iment for three months, and at the expiration of that
time re-enlisted in the same reg-iment for three years. Upon the
capture of New Orleans this company took possession of the post
office, and Company A was quartered in the office. Mr. Johnson
said that his company could read any letter received at the office, no
matter in what lang-uag-e it was written. During- the whole time of
his military service he was neither wounded, taken prisoner nor in a
hospital.

Johnson, S. A., is a native of Sweden and was born in 1845.
He has been a well known resident of this county since 1870, at
which time he came here from Iowa where he first located after com-
ing- to the United States. He has been a successful farmer, and
owns at the present time about four hundred acres of land in Valley
Spring-s. He resides on his homestead in section 7, which is a g-ood
farm with substantial building-s. He has held several town and
school offices, and is an enterprising- and respected citizen.

Howe, Perry E., was born January 28, 1851, in Cattaraug-us
county. New York; was educated in the public schools and at a pri-
vate academy, where he studied surveying-. His father was a sur-
veyor, and at the ag-e of twenty years the subject of this sketch com-
menced surveying-, and continued in this employment until he re-
moved to Dakota. On the 24th day of March, 1873, he arrived in this
county and settled in Vallev Spring-s, securing- the northwest quar-
ter of section 4, where he now resides, eng-ag-ed principalh^ in farm-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 269



ing", and has a g-ood farm. He has held the office of county surveyor;
has been chairman of the township board, and clerk of the same for
the last five years. He is an obliging- neig-hbor, and a respected
citizen.

Larson, Alfred J., is one of the pioneer settlers, having- lived
on his present homestead on the southwest quarter of section 8 in
Valley Springfs since 1870. He has a g-ood farm of 280 acres under
g-ood cultivation and w^ell supplied with g-ood building's. He was con-
stable in Valley Spring's in 1876, is a g'ood farmer and a respected
citizen. He was born in Sweden in 1849, and resided there and in
New^ Jersey and Iowa before coming- to this county.

Oleson, Olof, was born in Sweden in 1840. He emigrated to
the United States and lived in New York, Connecticut, Illinois, Wis-
consin and Iowa before he settled on his present farm in this county
in 1872. He took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section
9 in Valley Spring-s, and like many other early settlers had nothing-
to beg-in wnth, yet to-day he is the owner of a w-ell improved farm of
240 acres with substantial building-s and farm machinery and a larg-e
live stock, all of which are unincumbered. He is a g-ood farmer and
g-ood citizen, and has held the office of town supervisor for several
years.

Scott, John, is a comparatively new settler of this county, hav-
ing- come here in March, 1888. He formerly lived in Ohio, wdiere he
was born December 21, 1854; and also resided in Illinois and Iowa for
some time. He boug-ht his present farm, containing- over 300 acres
in sections 27 and 34 in Valley Spring-s, and resides there eng-aged in
farming. He is a thrifty, successful farmer, has one of the best
farms in the county, with substantial buildings and other improve-
ments, and well stocked, and during the season of 1898 raised nearly
10,000 bushels of grain on his farm.

Severson, Seve:rt, is a native of Norway, and was born Aug-ust
29, 1863. He emigrated to the United States in 1884 and arrived in
Dell Rapids on the 13th day of April, that year. He is now a resident of
Ben Clare, and has been in trade at that place since April, 1894. He
has been postmaster at Ben Clare since May 6, 1894, is a good citizen
and enjoys the esteem of his neighbors.

Spawn, Lewis, was born in Albany county, New York, March
24, 1844. He lived there and in Illinois and Iowa until he removed
to this county where he arrived June 1, 1873. He filed a homestead
and a tree claim upon the northeast quarter of section 31, and the
southwest quarter of section 30, in Valley Spring-s. For several
years he resided on his homestead and during- that time held several
township offices, and that of justice of the peace for ten years. A
few years ago he removed to Brant Lake, S. D., wdiere he is pro])ri-
etor of a hotel. He is an active enterprising- citizen.

Wright, Milton, was born in Iowa in 1845. He resided in Iowa
and worked on a farm until he removed to Valley Springs in 1882.
He bought and now owns a good farm in sections 29 and 30, and is a
dealer in live stock. He has held several township offices, and is an ac-
tive, enterprising and respected citizen.



270 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY



VILLAGE OF VALLEY SPRINGS.

The villag-e of Valley Spring's is pleasantly and favorably located
both for residence and business purposes, and since the location of
the station on the Omaha line in 1878 its population and business
have been steadily increasing-.

At a session of the territorial leg-islature in 1879, an act was
passed authorizing- the incorporation of the villag-e of Valley Spring-s,
but the people did not perfect an org-anization under its provisions.

In 1883 another act of incorporation was passed. The territory
comprised the south half of the south half of section 34, and the south-
east quarter of the southeast quarter of section 33 in Red Rock
township, and all of section 3, and the east half of the east half of
section 4 in Valley Spring-s township, making- in all a little over 1100
acres of land. This territory of the villag-e has been g-reatly reduced,
and comprises at the present writing- only the south half of the
northwest quarter and the north half of the southwest quarter of
section 3 in Valley Spring-s township. The charter was nearly the
same in its provisions as the one incorporating- the villag-e of Sioux
Palls; in fact, all the villag-e charters g-ranted in territorial days were
similar in character. The g-overnment of the corporation and the
manag-ement of its affairs were vested in a president, who was cx
officio a trustee, and four trustees. The other elective officers were
clerk, treasurer, and villag-e justice of the peace. The board of
trustees was empowered to appoint and remove at pleasure a chief of
the fire department, a fire warden, attorney, street commissioner,
and marshal. The annual election was directed to be held on the
first Tuesday in March.

The first election was held on the 6th day of March, 1883.
Forty-six votes were cast, and the following- named persons were
elected: W. H. Riddell, president, J. E. Hallett, Paul Zimmerman,
J. Dunham, and Geo. Cassady, trustees; F. Mellen, justice of the
peace; D. B. Cook, treasurer; P. C. Bell, clerk. D. B. Cook declined
to qualify, and Richard Barnett was appointed. Henry Howe was
appointed marshal. During- the summer a villag-e jail was built.

In March, 1884, the villag-e license for saloon keepers from April,
1884, to January 1, 1885, was fixed at S75. In December the license
was fixed at $200 per year. In December, 1885, the saloon license
was fixed at S600.

In 1886, two cisterns were built, of a capacity of 200 bbls. each,
at a cost of S230, and 320 feet of hose and other fire apparatus pur-
chased. A town hall and eng-ine room were built, at a cost of S914,
and a fire department was org-anized on the 10th day of June, 1886,
with twenty-eig-ht members and W. R. Burkholder as chief.

On the 6th day of Aug-ust, 1888, a special election was held to de-
termine whether the villag-e should issue bonds in the sum of S800 to
pay the indebtedness of the villag-e incurred in building- eng-ine room
and hall. The vote cast was thirty-four for, and one ag-aiust the
issuing- of bonds, and the bonds were issued. In December the
saloon license was fixed at $700.

As time prog-ressed, the people of the villag-e desired some



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 271



amendments to the charter, but as this could not be accomplished by
leg-islation, and the provisions of the g-eneral law for the incorpora-
tion of muncipal bodies were more to their liking-, the villag-e board
on the 4th day of March, 1895, took the necessary steps and dissolved
the corporation of the villag-e, and reincorporated under the g'eneral
law as the Town of Valley Springs.

There is not a village in the state that has a better grade of
schools, and a higher percentage of church-going people. It has
three church organizations, but no saloon, three resident ministers,
but no lawyer. Its business men are thrifty and enterprising, and
but few have fallen by the wayside.

The village has outgrown the two story school building- which
was erected in 1878, at a cost of $1,600, and the old bank building is
rented for one department. At the present time 109 scholars are
enrolled in the three departments into which the school is divided.
The number of scholars of school age within the village limits is 137.
Three teachers are employed, and Prof. J. A. Ross, one of the best
and most efficient teachers in the county, is in charge of the school.

All lines of business usually found in villages of the size of Val-
ley Springs, are not only well represented, but there are some en-
terprises of which the people are justly proud. In 1878, L. K. Lee,
then a resident of Valley Springs, built a flouring- mill of 100-barrel
capacity. It is a iirst-class mill in every detail, and its product
grades high upon the market. He also built an elevator of upwards
of 30,000 bushel capacity. The mill has been owned and successfully
operated by the Valley Springs Roller Mill Company since 1893.
The Hubbard & Palmer Elevator Compan}^ handles grain at this
point, and the capacity of their elevator is ample to meet the de-
mands of its patrons.

In June, 1896, the Valley Springs Creamery Companv was or-
ganized. It is not incorporated, but is organized on the co-operative
plan. At the present time there are upwards of seventy-five share-
holders. The public-spirited citizens of the village, in order to aid
in the project, adopted a novel plan of procedure. They organized
the Valley Springs Building Association, with shares of stock at
twenty-five dollars each, and secured S1,000 in this way, which was
used in erecting a creamery building. The use of this building was
given to the creamery company free of charge as long as it was
operated as a creamery. During the year 1898 the companv paid
S8,945.69 for 1,469,273 lbs. of milk. From this milk 63,895 lbs. of
butter was made, which was sold for $10,946.64. The whole cost of
the plant, including a skimming station at Corson, is a little upwards
of $3,000. It has three separators, and so far has been running at
only about one-half its capacity. It has been well conducted, and is
under able management. J. J. Urquhart is president, Tolle J. Bye
vice president, J. G. Kimball secretary and manager, Charles La-
throp treasurer and L. Christianson buttermaker.

To summarize — Valley Springs has good educational advantages
and church privileges, excellent business facilities, and a thriftv, en-
terprising, honest class of citizens.



272 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY



NEWSPAPERS.

Valley Springs Enterprise. — This was the first newspaper
published in Valley Springs. T. J. Martin was the proprietor and
editor, and for several years published a g-ood local paper, but re-
moved to Toledo, Ohio, in 1890, where he published] a newspaper
until his death, w^hich occurred December 19, 1897.

Valley Springs Vidette. — In the summer of 1891, the Valley
Springs Publishing- Company was organized, and the last w^eek in
September of that year 'the first issue of the Valley Springs Vidette
appeared. The following- March, Charles E. Hill assumed the edi-
torial control and management of the Vidette, and since then it has
been a good local newspaper, is well patronized, and a credit to the
towai.

CHURCHES.

Congregational Church. — A Congregational church was
organized at Valley Springs June 11, 1878, with a membership of
thirteen. In 1884 a commodious church building was erected at a
cost of about $2,000, which w'as all paid during the same year, S500
having been granted by the Congregational Church Building So-
ciety, and the balance raised by members and friends. The build-
ing was dedicated November 2, 1884. The following" ministers have
acted as pastors of the church in the order named: The Revs. J. A.
Palmer, S. F. Tobv, H. G. Miller, D. H. Clapp, C. W. Wiley, W. H.
Watson, W. Mooney, B. F. Marsden, M. A. Ball, W. C. Gilmore.
Services are held morning and evening every Sunday, and a Ladies'
Aid society, a Missionary society and a Sunday school, wnth an
average attendance of fifty, are connected wdth this church. The
present membership of the church is fifty-one.

Free Will Baptist Church. — This church was organized
May 31, 1885, with three members. In 1886 the Rev. J. J. Hull be-
came its pastor, and a church building- w^as erected that year at a
cost of about SI, 000. In April, 1890, after having built up a very
prosperous church, he was succeeded by the Rev. R. A. Coats, who
remained until the fall of 1893, when he accepted a call from
Estherville, Iowa, and the Rev. George W. Mathews became its
pastor. In 1895 the Rev. R. A. Coats returned to Valley Springs
and again assumed the duties of pastor of this church. He was
succeeded by the Rev. M. W. Dodge and in 1899 Mr. Dodge was
succeeded by Rev. M. L. Dewey. The membership is now seventy-
seven, and there are two Aid societies and a Sunday school of one
hundred members connected with this church.

The Methodist Episcopal Church. — This church has an
organization, but no church building. The pulpit is supplied by the
Rev. T. Morris, and a church building is soon to be erected.

FRATERNAL SOCIETIES.

Knights of Pythias. — A lodge of this order was instituted
about ten years ago, and has at the present writing thirty members.
The officers are: Dr. Geo. W. Bliss, C. C; E. B. Palmer, V. C; F*



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 273



M. Eastman, P.; J. J. Urquhart, M. of E.; E. A. Harris, M. of P.;
W. R. Brill. M. of A.; L. S. Hetland, K. of R.

Modern Woodmen. — This organization was effected about
three years ag-o, and is in a flourishing- condition. Its present offi-
cers are: Lew Allen, venerable counsel; D. A. Shaffer, worthy
adviser; Archie Kimball, clerk; E. A. Harris, banker; Wm. Brill,
escort; Steve Markuson, watchman; Eli Jones, sentinel.

Royal Neighbors of America. — An org^anization of the R. N.
A., a companion of the Modern Woodmen, is one of the societies
existing- at Vallev Spring-s. The officers are: Mrs. Cora Brill,
oracle; Mrs. Elizabeth Bell, V. O.; Miss Winnie Pinnev, M.; Mrs.
Alma Markuson, R. P. O.

Fraternal Brotherhood of the World. — This order has
recently established a branch office in Valley Spring-s with the fol-
lowing- officers: Dr. Geo. W. Bliss, president; Mrs. Geo. W. Bliss,
V. C; H. A. Cadwell, escort; Charles Potting-er, clerk; M. L. Rilev,
overseer; R. P. Cadwell, Past P.

OFFICERS OF THE VILLAGE OF VALLEY SPRINGS,

PROM 1883 TO 1895 AND OP THE TOWN OF

VALLEY SPRINGS PROM 1895 TO 1899.

188:-5. W. H. Riddell, president; J. E. Hallett, Paul Zimmer-
mann, J. Dunham and Geo. Cassady, trustees; P. Mellen, justice;
D. B. Cook, treasurer; P. C. Bell, clerk; Henry Howe, marshal;
Charles Harvev, street commissioner. D. B. Cook declined to act as
treasurer and R. Barnett was appointed.

1884. W. H. Riddell, president; J. E. Hallett, P. Zimmerman,
Geo. Cassady and J. Dunham, trustees; P. Mellen, justice; P. C.
Bell, clerk; Richard Barnett, treasurer; Edson Wheeler, marshal
and street commissioner.

1885. J. E. Hallett, president; T. B. Riley, P. C. Bell, P. East-
man and C. Potting-er, trustees; D. W. Lawrence, clerk; Z. R. Big-g-s,
justice; R. Barnett, treasurer; Charles Harvey, street commissioner;
Edson Wheeler, marshal.

1886. J. C. Shephard, president; Geo. Cassady, W. H. Riddell,
G. W. Wrig-ht and Charles Harvey, trustees; L. P. Mosier, justice;
C. Barnett, treasurer; D. AV. Lawrence, assessor; clerk, T. J.
Martin; Edson Wheeler, marshal.

1 887. A. L. Whaley, president; G. W. Wrig-ht, Charles Harvey,
John Bowman and J. L. Harring-ton, trustees; W. A. Hill, clerk,
Richard Barnett, treasurer; L. P. Mosier, justice; Charles Bender,
marshal.

1888. G. W\ Wrig-ht, president; N. J. Deisher, J. Bowman,
Charles Harvey and Charles Eschels, trustees; Dell Hill, clerk; H.
Howe, justice; Richard Barnett, treasurer; J. D. Burg^hardt, marshal.
July 9, H. Howe resig-ned and J. L. Harring-ton was appointed
justice.



274 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1889. G. W. Wrio-ht, president; N. J. Deisher, M. H. Gibbs,
H. D. Kenyon and Charles Harvey, trustees; J. D. Burg-hardt,
justice; E. W. Schmidt, treasurer; W. H. Riddell, clerk; James
Eschels, marshal.

1890. L. K. Kee, president; Eli Jones, Richard Barnett, T. B.
Rilev and J. C. Kimball, trustees; Geo. Wright, clerk; E. W.
Schmidt, treasurer; W. H. Riddell, justice; James Eschels, marshal.

1891. Geo. Cassady, president; T. B. Riley, J. G. Kimball, Eli
Jones and R. Barnett, trustees; E. W. Schmidt, treasurer; J. D.
Burg-hardt, justice; W. H. James, clerk; John Conover, marshal.

J. G. Kimball not qualifying-, T. D. Haig-ht was appointed
trustee.

1892. Geo. Cassady, president; R. Barnett, Eli Jones, T. B.
Riley and T. R. Haig-ht, trustees; W. H. James, clerk; E. W.
Schmidt, treasurer; C. Potting-er, justice.

1893. C. Dillon, president; G. Hullett, Eli Jones, W. A. Hill
and J. (;. Kimball, trustees; G. W. Wrig-ht, clerk; E. W. Schmidt,
treasurer; C. Potting-er, justice.

1894. F. M. Eastman, president; T. D. Haig-ht, Geo. Cassady,
F. L. Skillman and O. A. Hulett, trustees; E. W. Schmidt, treas-
urer, W. H. James, clerk; C. C. Potting-er, justice.

1895. W. J. Carey, president; W. G. Ely, T. D. Haig-ht, F. L.
Skillman and (t. W. Wrig-ht, trustees; W. H. James, clerk; N. J.
Deisher, treasurer; James Jameson, assessor; J. D. Burg-hardt,
justice.

1896. W. J. Carev, president; James H^schels, E. A. Harris,
Charles E. Hill and T. B. Riley, trustees; W. H. James, clerk; F. M.
Eastman, justice.

1897. Charles Haig-ht, president; L. S. Hetland, Charles Pot-
ting-er, and James Eschels, trustees; W. H. James, clerk; F. L. Skill-
man, treasurer; James Jameson, assessor; Frank Eastman, justice.

1898. Charles Haig-ht, president; L. S. Hetland, Charles Pot-
ting-er and James Eschels, trustees; H. W. Ferg-uson, clerk; F. L.
Skillman, treasurer; Wm. Brill, marshal; Frank M. Eastman, justice.

1899. E. W. Schmidt, president; E. A. Harris, L. S. Hetland,
James Eschels and Sander Swenson, trustees; W. C. Gilmore, clerk;
F. L. Skillman, treasurer; F. M. Eastman, justice; Wm. Brill,
marshal.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

BuRGHARDT, J. DeWitt, is a native of Broome county. New
York, and was born January 12, 1852. He lived there until he re-
moved to Valley Springfs in May, 1881. He resided in Red Rock
township for a few years, and there held the office of justice of the
peace for three years, and has also held the same office in Valley
Spring's for the same leng-th of time. He has for several years been
eng-ag-ed in the implement business in the village of Valley Springs,
and is well liked as a neighbor and citizen.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 27d



BuRKHOLDER, RoLLA W., was born at Carlisle, Pa., February
(), 1854; attended the city schools until fifteen years of ag-e; then was
employed in a g-eneral store five years, and in a g-rocer}- store seven
years; in 1881 removed to this county, and located in Valley Spring's
on July 4, and opened a hardware and general store; in 1886, sold out,
and eng-ag-ed in the collection business until 1890, when he was em-
ployed for three years in the Indian service at the Lower Brule
Agfencv; at the expiration of that time he returned to Valley Spring's,
and has been eng-ag-ed in farming- since then. Mr. Burkholder has
been chairman of the board of supervisors in Valley Spring-s town-
ship several years. He is a man of positive characteristics, nev^er on
the fence, outspoken upon all public questions, and a participator in
all local matters, a g-ood neig-hbor, and a g-ood citizen.

Cassady, George, is a native of Harrison, Ohio, and was born
in 1849. He resided for some time in Indiana and Minnesota and
came to Valley Spring's in this county in June, 1878, where he has
since resided. Soon after the railroad station was established at
Valley Spring's he was appointed station ag-ent there, and has held
this position since that time. He has been president of the villagfe
four years, a member of the school board nearly all the time since his
residence there, and town and school treasurer for several years.
His careful, conservative business qualifications, tog-ether with his
honesty of purpose and genial manners, have made him one of the
most respected citizens of the county.

CoNOVER, John, was born in Onondaga county, New York, Sep-
tember 16, 1843, and was reared on a farm and educated in the dis-
trict schools. During the rebellion he enlisted in the First New-
York Light Artillery for three years, but after thirteen months of
service was discharged for disability. He again enlisted in the Ninth
New York Heavy Artillery for one year, serving ten months and
until the close of the war. For a few years he resided in Minnesota,
but removed from there to Red Rock, this county, in 1883. He now
resides in Valley Springs.

Deisher, N. J., was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania,
September 24, 1854. He resided there and in Illinois and Nebraska
before his coming to this county in March, 1886. He located at Val-
ley Springs, where he engaged in the banking business until 1895,
when he removed from the state. Mr. Deisher was a very active citi-
zen while a resident of the county, and he enjoys the distinction of
being the first banker in Valley Springs.

Dunham, Jonathan, is a native of Tompkins county, New York,
and was born September 24, 1821. Mr. Dunham is one of the resi-
dents of this county who is qualified to speak of its comparative mer-
its, having lived, in addition to his native state, in Canada, Pennsyl-
vania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois before coming here. In 1872 he ar-
rived in Sioux Falls, and very soon thereafter took up the east half
of section 3 in Valley Springs as a homestead and by pre-emption,
and also secured 160 acres in section 27 in Red Rock under the tree
culture act. He has now 500 acres of farm land. Mr. Dunham since
coming to Dakota has attended strictly to business, and although an



276 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



active citizen and interested in all public matters, has not been a can-
didate for office. He is an independent conservative man, but consid-
erate of the opinion of those who differ with him. His rig-hts of citi-
zenship are conscientiously exercised, and his influence is felt in all



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 29 of 99)