Eastman, Francis M., was born in Wisconsin, Aug-ust 2, 1850.
After starting- out in life for himself he spent a few years in Minne-
sota but removed to this county in 1876, arriving- in Palisade on the
12th day of March of that year. He took up a quarter section of land
as a homestead in section 33, and a tree claim in section 8 in Red
Rock township, both of which he has disposed of, and now resides in
Valley Spring's. He was assessor of Palisade in 1881, president of
the villag-e of Valley Springs in 1894, and justice of the peace since
1896. He is a g-ood neig"hbor and a g-ood citizen.
Haight, Charles, was born in Gloversville, Pulton county.
New York, Julv 10, 1852. He resided in his native state and in In-
diana and Illinois until 1889. On the 20th day of April of that year
he came to Valley Spring's, and since then has been in business at
that place. He is associated with T. D. Haig-ht under the firm name
of T. D. & C. Haig-ht, and the firm is eng-ag-ed in the hardware, gro-
cery, harness, and boot and shoe business. The firm has been suc-
cessful, and is doing- a good business. Mr. Haight has the respect
of the citizens of Valley Springs, and has been elected to school, vil-
lage and township offices, in all of which he has proved himself to be
a good official.
Haight, T. D., is a native of Albany, New York, and was born
1834. After having lived in Indiana and Virginia he removed to Da-
kota and located at Valley Springs in May, 1888. In October of that
vear he entered into a co-partnership with his brother, C. Haight,
under the firm name of T. D. & C. Haig-ht and bought a stock of
hardware of Ed Wheeler, who was then doing- business at Valley
Springs, and also the grocery stock of Carl Chapman, to which they
added the sale of boots and shoes, trunks and harnesses. Mr.
Haight is a good business man and the firm has done a successful
business. He is a good, reliable citizen.
Harvey, William, was born in Caledonia county, Vermont, on
the 1st day of April, 1817, and died at Valley Springs "on the 28th day
of April, 1895. He was a physician of the old school, and practiced
his profession in Ohio and Iowa before coming to Dakota. He ar-
rived in this county in June, 1876, and settled in Valley Springs, tak-
ing up a homestead in section 19. He continued the practice of med-
icine a few years, but gradually retired from this work as old ag-e ad-
vanced. He was well liked by his neig-hbors and was a kind, genial
Hetland, L. S., is a native of Norway, and was born April 21,
1858. He emigrated to the United States in 1872, and resided in Il-
linois until the fall of 1879, at which time he removed to Dakota and
located at Valley Springs. In 1885 he eng-ag-ed in g-eneral merchan-
dizing in the village of Valley Springs in which he has since con-
Charles E. Hill.
HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 279
tinued. He is a g-ood business man, and has made a success of his
business. He has held the office of clerk of the town board for two
years, was one of the trustees of the villag-e of Valley Spring's in
1898, and is one of the best citizens in the villag-e, well liked by his
neig-hbors and customers.
Hill, Charles E., was born in Greene county, Ohio, December
1, 1854, and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, where he was educated in the
city schools. He learned the printer's trade, on the Cleveland
(Ohio) Herald. After learning- his trade he concluded he would see
something- of the world before settling- down, and he traveled
throug-hout the United States, Canada, Cuba and Eng-land, working-
at his trade for a livelihood. He arrived in Sioux Palls in 1891, and
worked for awhile on the Press. In March, 18*)2, he married Mrs.
Emma A. Pixley of Valley Spring's, and became the proprietor of
the Valley Spring-s Hotel, and editor of the Valley Spring-s Vidette,
but sold out the hotel business in the fall of 1892, and since that time
has given his undivided attention to the management of the Vidette.
He is a good newspaper man, and the Vidette has grown to be a
good county paper under his editorial control.
Hunt, Washington J., was born in Chenango county, New York,
February 23, 1856. He removed with his parents to Payette, Pay-
ette county, Iowa, in 1857, and resided there until he was twenty-two
vears of age, working on a farm and attending- the common schools
and the Iowa University. At that age he commenced work as a
mason, and followed this trade until he removed to Dakota, where he
arrived September 19, 1878. He then took up the northeast quarter
of section 14 in Clear Lake, this county, and resided there until 1887,
when he removed to Sioux Palls. In 1889 he removed to East Sioux
Palls, where he resided, until November, 1898, when he located at
Valley Springs. While a resident of Clear Lake he was a justice of
the peace seven years, and town clerk five years. He has taught at
least fifteen terms of school in this county, and has proved himself
to be a successful teacher. He was county superintendent of schools
of Minnehaha county in 1893 and 1894, and faithfully performed the
duties of the office, ably assisted by his wife, who is well educated
and has been a successful teacher in this county since its pioneer
days. In 1895, Mr. Hunt was elected a member of the city council
of East Sioux Palls. He is an upright, honest man, a good citizen, a
kind neighbor, and has a host of friends.
James, William Henry, was born in Dodgeville, Wisconsin,
December 25, 1858. He lived in Wisconsin until 1884, engaged in
farming and milling, and then removed to Minnesota where he re-
mained until the 15th day of August, 1886. At that time he located
at Valley Springs, and has been engaged in the grain and insurance
business at that place since then. He has held various township and
village offices, was clerk of the village board for several years, and
made a good official. Mr. James is a genial, good fellow, a good
neighbor and esteemed citizen, and justly popular with all who know
280 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.
KiFFE, H., was born in Mankato, Minnesota, April 12, 1857. He
resided in Iowa for a few years, and came from there to Sioux Palls
in 1878. Soon after he took up a homestead in McCook county, this
state, and in 1879 removed to Rock county, Minnesota, where he
remained ten years. In 1889 he returned to this county and settled
in Valley Spring's. While a resident of Minnesota he held town
offices for several years. He is an industrious honest citizen.
KiNYON, HoLDEN D., vvas born in Dodg-e county Wisconsin, Sep-
tember 15, 1854. and resided there until he removed to this county in
March, 1886. He settled on the southeast quarter of section 18 in
Red Rock, and was so pleased with the country that he induced sev-
eral of his friends and relatives from his old home to come here and
locate. He held several town offices while living- in Wisconsin, and
also while a resident of Red Rock. In April, 1890, having- removed
to Valley Spring-s villag-e, he was appointed postmaster at that place.
He is'a reliable, uprig-ht man, and well liked by his neig-hbors.
Mellen, Frank, is a native of Boston. Mass., and was born
Mav 18, 1828. He learned the shoemaker's trade and worked at it
for several years. Resided for some time in Connecticut, and came
from there to this county on the 15th day of Aug-ust, 1874, and
located in Valley Spring-s, taking- up a homestead in sections 3 and 10
of that township. He has resided in the villag-e of Valley Spring-s
since its incorporation, eng-ag-ed in the hotel business during- the en-
tire time. He has been justice of the peace a g-ood many years, and
has practiced law in the justice court since coming- to Dakota,
and has acquired quite a g-ood knowledg-e of law. He is an active,
energ-etic and independent citizen, and is quite a factor in the affairs
of the villag-e of Valley Spring-s.
PoTTiNGER, Charles O., was born in South Bend, Indiana, May
4, 1850. He resided in Illinois and Iowa for several years, but re-
moved from the last named state to Valley Spring-s in March, 1884.
He held the office of town clerk in Iowa for two years, and since re-
siding- in the villag-e of Valley Spring-s has been assessor and justice
of the peace, and one of the trustees of the villag-e since 1897. He
is in the g-rocery and confectionery business. He is a quiet, unas-
suming- citizen and respected by his neig-hbors and acquaintances.
Riddell, William H., was born in Belvidere, Illinois, in 1848,
and resided there until he was twenty-one years of ag-e. He then
went to Sheldon, Iowa, where he secured a homestead and eng-ag-ed
in farming- until May, 1878, at which time he removed to this county
and settled in Valley Spring-s. He eng-aged in the lumber business
for nine years, and then in the mercantile business for about three
years. Was township treasurer and clerk, president of the villag-e
of Valley Spring-s, and also a member of the board of education and
justice of the peace. In 1885, was a member of the lower house of
the territorial legfislature from Minnehaha county. It is hardly nec-
essar}- to add that he was a hig-hly respected citizen, and that his de-
parture for Oreg-on in July, 1892, was g-reatly regfretted by all who
had the pleasure of his acquaintance.
W. J. Hhnt.
HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 283
Riley, J. W., was born September 15, 1858, in Wisconsin. In
1867 he removed with his parents to Mason City, Iowa, where he
received his education and decided to become a teacher. In 1876 he
finished a course in the hig-h school and since then has devoted his
time to educational pursuits. In 1883 he came to this countv, and in
October of that year commenced teachinjj- school in the Poster school
house in Benton. He remained there three years and then took
charg-e of the Whittier school in Wayne one year. In 1888 he became
principal of the villag-e school at Valley Spring's, which position he
held until 1897. He is an enthusiast in his profession, and has done
g-ood service in advancing- the standing- of the schools in this county.
In 1896 he was nominated by the Republican party for county super-
intendent of schools, but the Fusion party polled too many votes for
his success at the election. Mr, Riley is a g-enial, g-ood fellow, and
an exemplary citizen.
Riley, Thomas B., was born at New Albany, Indiana, June 26,
1836; was educated in the city schools, and when eig-hteen years old
entered into a contract for three years as an apprentice to learn the
trade of carpenter and joiner. At the expiration of that time he con-
tinued to work at his trade until the breaking- out of the civil war,
and in 1861 enlisted in Co. P, 59th Indiana, and served until October,
1864. After his discharg-e he went to Illinois and eng-ag-ed in farm-
ing- until 1883, when he came to Dakota and settled in Valley Spring-s.
He purchased two quarter sections in Valley Spring's township, and
one quarter section in Martin township, Rock county, Minnesota. He
took up his residence in the villag-e of Valley Spring-s, and for ten
years eng-ag-ed in the lumber business. He was one of the trustees
of the villag-e several years. In June, 1898, he removed to Sioux
Palls, where he now resides. He still owns his farms and town
property in Valley Spring-s, is a thoroug-h business man, and a
Skillman, p. L., was born in Chenang-o county. New York,
January 21, 1844, and lived there until 1856 when he removed to
Wabasha county, Wisconsin. November 2, 1861, he enlisted in Co.
(t, 3d Minnesota infantry, and re-enlisted as a veteran in the same
regfiment in 1863. In April, 1865, he was promoted to 1st Lieutenant
Co. K, 113 U. S. C. T., and remained in the service until September
4, of that year. After the war he remained in Minnesota until 1879,
when he removed to Brooking-s county, Dakota, and from there to
Valley Springs in September, 1886. His business since coming- to
Dakota has been that of a drug-g-ist. Mr. Skillman is a g-ood business
man, and an uprig-ht, honest citizen, and his influence is always felt
in the furtherance of such projects as promise to elevate the stand-
ard of g-ood society in the community in which he lives. He was one
of the trustees of the villag-e of Valley Spring-s two years, and has
been treasurer of the same since 1897.
Urquhart, J. J., was born in Cornwall, Canada. After his
coming- to the United States he resided in New York and Vermont,
and came to Dakota and located at Valley Spring-s April 1, 1886. At
that time his entire capital consisted of five dollars in cash. The
284 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.
first summer he worked out by the month, and saved enoug-h money
to pay for a marriag-e license and a few household g-oods. In the
spring- of 1887, he rented a farm for three years, ran in debt for a
team, and commenced farming-. At the end of three years he held
an auction and sold his stock and machinery-, paid his debts and had
SI, 300 left. He then boug-ht a house and lot in the villag-e of Valley
Spring-s and commenced clerking- for L. S. Hetland. He has held
the office of constable and deputy sheriff. Mr. Urquhart is an active,
energ-etic business man and a g-ood citizen.
Whaley, Archie L., was born in Oneida county. New York,
in September, 1835, and died at the village of Valley Spring-s, May 6,
1895. When a mere lad he moved with his parents to Wisconsin,
where he was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools.
He resided in Iowa twenty-five years engag-ed in farming. In May,
1876, he came to this county and settled in Red Rock, taking up a
homestead. When the railroad reached Valley Springs he com-
menced business there, in which he continued until his decease.
During his residence in Valley Spring's he held several official posi-
tions; was president of the village and school board, village treas-
urer, postmaster for four years and deputy postmaster for several
years. He always took quite an interest in political matters, and
was frequently a delegate to political conv^entions. He was success-
ful in business, and was one of the most noticeable men upon the
streets of the village. He was an enterprising citizen, a kind neigh-
bor and an upright, honest man.
Wright, G. W., was born at Ottawa, Canada, September 26,
1860,^and emigrated with his parents to the United States in 1862.
In 1873 he came to Luverne, Minnesota, and in June, 1885, removed to
this county and located at Valley Springs. He then engaged in
business at that place with A. Peterson, and in the spring of 1886 he
bought his partner's interest and entered into copartnership with
W. J. Carey, which continued until 1890. Soon after the building
of the flouring mill at Valley Springs he became the salesman and
bookkeeper of that concern. "He has been president of the board of
trustees of the village of Valley Springs and clerk of both the village
and township. He is an upright, honest man, and a respected
spi.it rock toav^nsiiip.
The boundary lines of Split Rock township were surveyed at an
early date. The portion of the south line bounded by the Iowa state
line was surveyed in 1852, the remainder of the south^line and the
west line were surveyed by Wm. J. Neeley in July, 1859, the north
and east lines by Cortez Pessenden in July, 1862, and the subdivision
was made by Carl C. P. Meyer in Aug-ust, 1864. It contains 23,057.57
acres of land. The Bitr Sioux river enters the township on the north-
west quarter of section 4, and running- thence almost due south,
leaves the township and county near the center of the south line of
section 33. Split Rock river enters the township in the northeast
(juarter of section 2, but after pursuing- its course in a southwesterly
direction a short distance, turns north, and flows around the south-
west corner of section 35 in Brandon, and ag-ain enters the township
upon the same quarter section. From this point it flows in a south-
westerly course, and forms a junction with the Big- Sioux a few rods
south of the center of section 16. This stream was at an early date
known by the name of Emenija, and so well known as to appear in
Johnson's Illustrated Atlas of the World. In the same atlas it also
appears that there was a town located at the junction of the Big- Sioux
and this stream, with the same name. Two branches of Beaver
creek form a junction in section 13, and flowing- in a westerly course,
unite with the Split Rock in section 15 near its north line. There
was also another small stream according to the g-overnment survey,
flowing- diag-onally throug-h the southeast portion of the township,
forming- a junction with the Sioux river at the center of the south
line of section 33, but if a survey should be made in a dry season it
would not find a place upon the map.
In 1877 a small flouring- mill was built on the east bank of the
Sioux river in the northeast quarter of section 33, known as Ban-
ning-'s mill. In 1881 it was nearly destroyed by hig-h water, and was
not repaired and put in operation ag-ain until in 1892. In some re-
spects it is an important township, having- within its boundaries the
incorporated city of East Sioux Falls, and quite a village called Row-
ena. The presence of Sioux quartzite in large quantities in section
26, induced Thomas J. Ryan of Iowa to purchase several hundred
acres of land and commence quarrying the stone. In October, 1888,
he platted forty-three blocks in the southeast quarter of this section,
and the little village of Rowena sprung into existence. A station on
the Illinois Central railroad was located at this point, a post office
286 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.
established, and some fine building-s and two warehouses erected.
One of the remarkable features attending- this post office is the num-
ber of postmasters who have been in charg-e during- its existence,
(leorg-e M. Nix was appointed postmaster November 9, 1888; H. J.
Eag-er, Mav 27, 1889; John E. Brown, December 5, 1889; F. H.
Marshall, September 6, 1890; F. R. Wrig-ht, June 22, 1894; Charles
H. Matthews, June 1, 1896; and Alfred Reid, December 1, 1897.
The Electric Motor Line from Sioux Falls had its terminus at East
Sioux Falls, while in existence, and the C, St. P., M. & O. railroad
runs throug-h sections 1 and 2, and the northwest corner of section 3.
The first settler in this township was Ole B. Iverson, who located
on section 21. Four days after Mr. Iverson's arrival Ole Berg-erson
came, and took up 320 acres of land in section 4. The first house, a
dugf-jout, was built in the fall of 1868, on the southwest quarter of
section 21, about thirty rods northwest of the east end of the bridg-e
across the Sioux River. It was built by Mr. Iverson, Ole and Soren
Berg-erson, and Mr. Iverson and wife tog-ether with the Berg-ersons
lived there the following- winter.
LIST OF OFFICERSвАФ 1881-1899.
1881. The first meeting- of the township board was held at the
house of Peter Iverson, January 11, 1881, and the board was org-an-
ized by the election of Charles Olander as chairman, R. S. Svolde,
one of the supervisors, and George White, clerk, were present.
June 9, a second meeting- was held and all the members of the board,
Charles Olander, R. S. Svolde and Ale Abramson, were present, al-
so Ole Berg-erson, justice of the peace. At this meeting-, Amon
Johnson was appointed clerk. July 18, the board met and allowed the
bill of Christ Clauson, for twelve days' work as assessor, in the sum
of twenty-four dollars.
1882. January 2, the board met at the house of Evan Fris-
lev, and the newly elected officers qualified. May 4, the board
met, Charles Olander, chairman, Soren Berg-erson and David Ban-
ning-, supervisors. Amon Johnson having- removed from town, Alo
Abrahamson was appointed clerk. Gust Plorell was treasurer of
the township in 1882.
1883. January 2, the board met and officers qualified. Charles
Olander chairman, Soren Berg-erson, supervisor, Alo Abrahamson,
clerk, Georg-e Larson, treasurer, John O. Walker and Ole Berg-er-
son justices of the peace. The clerk was directed to post notices in
five different places ten days before town meetings. January 24, the
board met and appointed M. South supervisor and Sivert Swenson
constable, and re-districted the road districts.
1884. January 2, a town meeting was held at the house of John
O. Walker, to determine whether the town would raise eleven hun-
dred dollars to aid in the construction of a bridge at Peter Iverson's
across the Sioux river, but the records are silent in regard to the
action of the meeting, except that John O. Walker was elected mod-
erator. At a meeting of the board February 26, a resolution was
passed, that the construction of a bridge at Banning's mill, should
HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 287
not become a charg-e upon the town, for the reason that it was con-
structed regfardless of public demand and was of no use to a majority
of the people of the town. March 4, the following- officers were
elected: Charles Olander chairman, M. South and Ole Berg-erson su-
pervisors, John T. Lee assessor, John O. Walker clerk, (ieorg-e Lar-
son treasurer, Thomas Cuthbert and Nels Simons justices. A vote
of thanks was passed to Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Larson for the use of
their house for town meeting's. March 17, the town board met and
discontinued a highway "that crossed a creek in numerous places,
passed over hills and throug-h sloug-hs, and was useless as a public
highway." March 18, John O. Walker was appointed justice of the
peace, to hll the vacancy occasioned by Thomas Cuthbert failing- to
1886. The annual town meeting was held March 2, at the house
of Andrew Larson. In addition to the election of officers, the town
voted to elect road overseers and pound masters by the ballot. The
following officers were elected: Ole Bergerson chairman, C. T. Clau-
son and Thomas Cuthbert supervisors, John T. Lee clerk, George
Larson treasurer, Claus Clauson assessor and Gust Peterson justice.
May 18 the board allowed John Nelson S15().00 for damages sustained
bv reason of a road being laid through his land.
1887. At the annual town meeting- March 1, the following offi-
cers were elected: Ole Bergerson chairman, Thomas Cuthbert and
John T. Lee supervisors, George Larson treasurer, Charles Olander
assessor, Nels Simons and Martin Tvee justices, and Claus Clauson
and Samuel Thompson constables.
1888. The annual town meeting was held at the house of C. T.
Clauson, March 6, and the following officers were elected: Charles
Olander chairman, Oliver Munson and Ward Benedict supervisors,
George Larson treasurer, J. T. Lee assessor, Thomas Cuthbert
clerk, B. S. Peterson and John W. Briggs constables.
1880. The annual town meeting was held at East Sioux Falls
on the 5th day of March, and the following persons were elected to
the respective offices: Ward Benedict chairman, Charles Olander
and Oliver Munson supervisors, Nels Simons clerk, S. C. Peaslee
treasurer, J. T. Lee assessor. Prank Chaphe and A. M. Christie
justices, and J. R. Reed and J. R. Blue constables. October 29, S.
C. Peaslee having resigned as treasurer George Larson was ap-
1890. The annual meeting- was held March 4, atRowena, and 186
votes were cast. C. A. Lindstrom was elected chairman and Charles
Olander and Halvor Mork supervisors, Nels Simons clerk, George
Larson treasurer, J. T. Lee assessor, Wiley Lowe justice and Mike
Welch constable. It was voted that all town meetings be held at
East Sioux Falls. March 20 a town meeting was held to vote on the
question of a resurvey of the town. 78 votes w^ere cast, 21 for and
1891. March 3, annual town meeting held at Rowena. C. Lind-
strom, moderator. The following named persons were elected:
W^ard Benedict chairman, Halvor Mork and Fred Jacobson supervis-
ors, Alfred Reid clerk, George Larson treasurer, Nels Simons asses-
288 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.
sor, Charles Olander and Georg-e Powers justices, M. S. Vance and
M. Christiansen constables. April 7, the board examined roads and
brido-es and ag-reed with the town board of Valley Spring-s to build a
bridg'e across Pour Mile creek on rang-e line south of sections 7 and
12, expenses to be equally borne by Split Rock and Valley Spring-s.
September 18, board met in joint session w^ith Valley Spring's board
to consider the petition for opening- the road on line between the
towns praved for. Petition g'ranted, and the amount of damag-es dif-
ferent persons would sustain b\' reason of opening- the road ag-reed
1892. The annual town meeting- was held March 1, at Rowena.
Ward Benedict elected chairman, Halvor Mork and Ole Berg-erson