Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 31 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 31 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


supervisors, Alfred Reid clerk, George Larson treasurer, Nels Si-
mons assessor and A. A. Christie justice. October 25, John C. New-
bold was appointed justice in place of William Paulton resig-ned.

1893. The annual town meeting- held at Rowena, March 7, and
the following- officers were elected: Ward Benedict chairman, Oliver
Munson and Martin Lee supervisors, W. J. Benedict, Jr., clerk, W.
M. Webster treasurer, Nels Simons assessor, E. Erling-son and J. C.
Newbold justices, T. Carlson and J. H. Brig-g-s constables. April 15,
a special town meeting- was held "to determine whether land marks
should be erected at section and quarter section corners throug-hout
the town; and also whether the board should enter into a contract
with the county surveyor, or any other competent surveyor, to make
true survey of all sections and cause land marks to be erected perma-
nently at each section and quarter section corner, as established by
the U. S. Government survey." Pifty-eig-ht votes were cast — '\2 for
and 16 ag-ahist. June 20, board met and allowed bill of T. M. Patten,
county surveyor, for surveying- the township at 8275.00.

1894. Supervisors, Nels Simons chairman, Oliver Munson and
Martin Lee; clerk, P. R. Wrig-ht; treasurer, W. M. Webster; asses-
sor, Claus Clauson.

1895. Supervisors, Richard Banning chairman, Martin Lee
and C. A. Lindstrom; clerk, P. R. Wright; treasurer, Alf. Reid;
assessor, Claus Clauson.

1896. Supervisors. Richard Banning chairman, H. C. McGil-
vray and B. S. Peterson; clerk, P. R. Wright; treasurer, Alf. Reid;
assessor, Nels Simons.

1897. Supervisors, Richard Banning- chairman, H. C. McGil-
vray and B. S. Peterson; clerk, P. R. Wright; treasurer, Alf. Reid;
assessor, Claus Clauson.

1898. Same officers as in 1897.

1899. Supervisors, Richard Banning chairman, H. C. McGil-
vray and Tollef Neste; clerk, A. N. Brown; treasurer, Alf. Reid;
assessor, Claus Clauson; justice of the peace, Martin Lee.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 289



EAST SIOUX PALLS.

The platted portion of East Sioitx Palls is situated on the south-
east quarter of section twenty and the northwest quarter of section
twentv-ei<»-ht in Split Rock township. The Bio- Sioux river runs
throuy-h the city, and the Illinois Central railroad has a station at
this point. It is six miles east, and one mile south of the city of
Sioux Falls.

A petition was presented to the board of county commissioners
at its July meetino- in 1890, sig-ned by the requisite number of citi-
zens residing- within certain territory in Split Rock township, re-
questing- the board to order an election to determine whether it
should become an incorporated city. An election was ordered to
to be held on the 19th day of August, at which time one hun-
dred and forty-two votes were cast; all being* in favor -of incorpora-
tion. The result was reported to the county board, and the
territory included in the petition was declared to be incorporated as
the City of East Sioux Palls An election of city officers took place
soon after, and the city council held its first meeting October 15, 1890.

The incorporation of the city of East Sioux Palls was the result
of the extensive quarrying- of the Sioux quartzite at this point, the
supply being inexhaustible, and near a railroad station. Por two or
three years quite a large business was transacted, and the little city
presented a lively appearance, but the hard times had a depressing-
effect upon its principal industry, and other lines of business suf-
fered in a corresponding deg-ree. But this valuable stone is still
there in larg-e quantities and it is a favorable point for shipment,
with a picturesque location, surrounded by a rich farming country,
and although in a dormant state at the present time, it is not a Rip
Van Winkle sleep that has overtaken this enterprising- little burg.

LIST OP OFFICERS OP THE CITY 1890-1899.

18D0. Mayor, J. C. Russell; aldermen, James McGrath, George
Anderson, Samuel Thompson, Charles Delaney, Thomas Morris and
Wm. Handley; James McGrath was elected president and Thomas
Morris vice president of the city council; G. W. Jones, auditor; T. P.
Howard, assessor; J. H. Voorhees, attorney; Edward J. Riley, treas-
urer; H. C. Cornell, city justice; Wiley V. Lowe, police justice; I).
C. Rice, city eng-ineer.

At the first meeting of the city council, which was held in the
East Sioux Palls Granite Company's office, at the date above men-
tioned, the bonds of the officers were fixed as follows: mayor, S3, 000;
treasurer, SI, 000, and all other officers S500 each. At the meeting
held October 23, the council ordered a map to be made of the city,
and the Sioux Palls Argus-Leader was made the official newspaper.
On the 15th day of December the committee on streets and alleys
was directed to" purchase six lamps, and engage a man to light them
when necessary.

1891. Mayor, J. C. Russell; alderman, 1st ward, Thomas P.
Howard, Samuel Thompson; 2d ward, H. C. Cornell, (yeorge Ander-
son; 3d ward, James McGrath, Thomas Hosken; E. J. Riley, treas-



290 HISTORYOF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



urer; Charles Delanev, auditor; J. H. Voorhees, attorney; J. J. War-
ner, assessor; Wiley V. Lowe, police justice; Isaac Whittle, city
justice; John O'Brien, chief of police.

Board of Education, 1st ward, Thomas Thompson; 2d ward, Ed-
ward Peterson; 3d ward, E. R. Lossing-.

At a meetingf of the council on the 5th day of January, the salary
of the officers was fixed as follows: mayor, $2', aldermen, SI each;
treasurer, S25; auditor, S50; attorney, S150, to take effect from the
l5th dav of October, 1890. D. C. Rice presented his bill amounting-
to S32 for making- a map of the city, which was allowed.

1892. Mayor, James McGrath; aldermen, 1st ward, Samuel
Thompson, Georg-e V. Lowe, to fill unexpired term; 2d ward, H. C.
Cornell, Georg-e Anderson; 3d ward, Georg-e Waldrum, Harry War-
die, to fill unexpired term; Wiley V. Lowe, auditor; J. H. Voorhees,
attorney; E. J. Riley, treasurer; W. J. Hunt, assessor, and he was
appointed police justice June 13; Fred Rudkin, city justice; Harry
Baum, chief of police, moved from the city and Mike Welsh was ap-
pointed, but was sent to the insane asylum, and Al Martin was ap-
pointed to fill the vacancy December 6.

Board of Education, 1st ward, Thomas Thompson; 2d ward,
John Hawkins; 3d ward, E. R. Lossing-.

Board of Health, 1st ward, Georg-e V. Lowe, Sam Thompson, to
fill vacancv; 2d ward, Georg-e Anderson; 3d ward, Henry Wardle.

1893. Mayor, James McGrath; aldermen, 1st ward, Sam
Thompson and J. T Ward, to fill vacancy; 2d ward, H. C. Cornell
and Georg-e Anderson; 3d ward, Harry Wardle and Thomas Iver-
son; E. J. Riley, treasurer; Wiley V. Lowe, auditor; J. H. Voorhees,
attorney; W. J. Hunt, police justice; Edward Peterson, city justice;
Al. Martin, chief of police.

Board of Education, 1st ward, Mrs. W. J. Hunt and David Ban-
ning-; 2d ward, John Hawkins and Hans Sinklin; 3d ward, Al. Martin
and Alfred Anderson.

The following- comprises a list of the officers elected at the an-
nual elections from 1894 to 1899, inclusive.

1894. Mayor, Sam. Thompson; Alderman, 1st ward, John J.
Warner; 2d ward, Georg-e Anderson; 3d ward, Thomas Iverson;
W. V. Lowe, auditor; Edward J. Riley, treasurer; W. J. Hunt, police
justice; Edward Peterson, city justice; Allen Martin, chief of police;
Thomas Thompson, assessor.

1895. Mayor, Sam. Thompson; aldermen, 1st ward, W. J. Hunt;
2d ward, Edward Peterson, 3d ward, Peter Helg-erson; W. V. Lowe,
auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer: Peter A. Anderson, assessor;
Oliver Bursheim, police justice; Charles Safe, citv justice; Rudolph
Meyers, chief of police.

1896. Mayor, Sam. Thompson; aldermen, 1st ward, Thomas
Thompson; 2d ward, Henry C. Cornell; 3d ward, William Meyers;
W. V .Lowe, auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer; Oliver Bursheim,
police justice; Charles Safe, city justice; Rudolph Meyers, chief of
police; Peter A. Anderson, assessor.

1897. Mayor, Sam. Thompson; aldermen, 1st ward, William
Handle}' ; 2d ward, Charles Johnson; 3d ward, Wm. Meyers; W. V.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 2*)1



Lowe, auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer; Peter A. Anderson, as-
sessor; John Gilliver, police justice; Peter F. Claussen, city justice;
Henry C Cornell, chief of police.

1898. Mayor, Samuel Thompson; aldermen, 1st ward, Charles
Sibson; 2d ward, (xeor^fe Anderson; 3d ward, Alfred Wakeling-; W.
V. Lowe, auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer; H. C. Cornell, asses-
sor; Peter F, Claussen, city justice; H. C. Cornell, chief of police.

1899. Mayor, Samuel Thompson; aldermen, 1st w^ard, Lars
Anderson; 2d ward, Georg-e Anderson; 3d ward, John Gilliver; W.
V. Lowe, auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer; Henry C. Cornell, as-
sessor; William Boyce, police justice; Peter Smith, city justice; H.
C. Cornell, chief of police.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Anderson, George L., is a native of Norway, and was born
June 10, 1861. He came to the United States in 1879, and lived with
his uncle in Iowa for about two years; came to Sioux Falls in 1881,
and when the penitentiary was built he was employed there; then
worked for C. W. Hubbard in the stone quarries several years;
moved to East Sioux Falls in 1888, and in 1892 commenced work for
the East Sioux Falls Quarry Company. Mr. Anderson has been
alderman from the second ward in East Sioux Falls nearly every
year since its organization as a city in 1890, has been a member of
the board of health, and is an industrious, good citizen.

Ask, Ole Swenson, one of the early settlers in this countv,
was born in Norway January 6, 1822, and emigrated to the United
States in 1866. He lived in Iowa four years, and came to Minnehaha
county in 1870. He secured a homestead in section 10 in S])lit Rock,
where he still resides and has a good farm.

Banning, Abraham, was born in Knox countv, Ohio, on the 5th
day of January, 1846. He resided in Winneshiek county, Iowa, for
a few years, but removed from there to this countv on the 6th day of
March, 1876, and bought the northeast quarter of section 33 in Split
Rock, where he has since resided. He is one of the proprietors of
Banning's mill, located on the east bank of the Sioux River near his
residence. He is an industrious, upright and respected citizen.

Benedict, Ward, w^as born in Steuben county, New York, July
1836. When seven years of age he removed to Wisconsin with his
parents, and resided there until 1886, w^hen he went to Dakota and
arrived in Sioux Falls April 30, of that year. He bought the west
half of section 24 in Split Rock and resided there for several years.
He was elected town supervisor in 1888, and was chairman of the
board four years. He disposed of his farm in 1893 and moved into
the city of Sioux Falls, and for some time was the proprietor of the
Central House. But Mr. Benedict is best known as a farmer, and
since coming to this county has won the respect and confidence of
his neighbors and acquaintances.



292 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Bergerson, Ole, was born in Norway September 27, 1844, and
came to the United States with his parents in 1851. He resided in
Wisconsin and Iowa until 1868, when he removed to this county. He
took up 320 acres of land in section 4 in Split Rock, and 160 acres in
section 24, in Brandon, and made his home on the homestead in sec-
tion 4. Ole B. Iverson was the only man who settled in Split Rock-
prior to him, and he had only been there four days when Mr. Bery -
erson arrived. During- the fall of 1868, Mr. Iverson and Ole and
Soren Bercrerson constructed the first house in Split Rock. It was
in part a dug-out, and in front of it a few^ posts were set up and a
roof put on, and in this place Mr. Iverson, his wife, and the Berg^er-
sons lived the following- winter. It was located about thirty rods
northwest of the east end of the bridg-e crossing- the Sioux River at
East Sioux Falls. They were so much pleased with the country that
they made a systematic effort to induce Scandinavians to come here
and settle, and throug-h their influence quite a larg-e number of farm-
ers of that nationality located in this county. Mr. Berg-erson has
been very prominent in the affairs of Split Rock township, having-
held all of the town offices, and was also county commissioner from
1871 to 187*). He is a larg-e ])roperty owner, and has some invest-
ments in mining- property in the State of Washing-ton. He has al-
ways been held in hig-h esteem by his neig-hbors, and is recog-nized
as one of the most reliable citizens in the countv.

Bowman, S. A., is another of the old settlers. He was born in
Linkoping-, Sweden, in 1830; emig-rated to the United States in 186'),
lived in Michig-an four years, and located in this county in 1873. He
filed a pre-emption on the northeast quarter of section 11 in the town
of Split Rock, where he still resides. He also boug-ht and now owns
40 acres in section 2, in the same township. He has a g-ood farm,
and is a respected citizen.

Charleson, Thomas, is a native of Norway, and born in 1851.
He emig-rated to this country and lived in Iowa for two years; re-
moved to Minnehaha county in the spring- of 1872, and took up the
north half of the northeast quarter of section 10, and the north half
of the northwest quarter of section 11, in the town of Split Rock,
where he has since resided and has a g-ood farm.

Clauson, Claus, is one of the pioneers of Minnehaha countv,
having lived here since June 30, 1869. He came from W^inneshiek
county, Iowa, where he was born December 29, 1854. He took up a
homestead in section 14, and a tree claim in section 15 in Split Rock.
He resides on his homestead, and is a g-ood farmer and a g-ood citi-
zen; has been town assessor in Split Rock several years.

Clauson, Christ T., is one of the early settlers of this county,
having- lived on his present farm since 1872. He came from Winne-
shiek county, Iowa, where he was born in 1854. He was the first as-
sessor in Split Rock, and has also been a member of the town board
of supervisors. His farm comprises 160 acres in sections 14 and 15.
He is a g-ood citizen and has a good farm.




Ole Bergerson.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 295



Plorell, Andrew, came direct from Sweden to Dakota, and
settled in this county in May, 1873. He took up as a homestead the
northeast quarter of section 3, in the town of Split Rock, where he
has lived ever since, and has now a g-ood farm. He was born June
17, 1828.

Iverson, Peter, was born in Norway in 1853. When only six
years of ag-e he emig-rated with his parents to the United States, and
settled in Iowa. In 1871 Mr. Iverson came to this covmty, where he
secured as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 21, in Split
Rock township. He also owns some real estate in Minnesota, but re-
sides on his homestead, which is a g-ood farm. He is a good citi/en.

Jacobson, Fred, a son of L. A. Jacobson, was born in Sweden,
Aug-ust 24, 1863, and came to this country with his father in 1871.
He bought and now owns 160 acres in section 13, in Split Rock,
where he resides. He was a member of the town board of supervis-
ors in 1891, and is a good citizen.

Jacobson, Lars Anders, is a native of Sweden and was born at
Motala, October 17, 1829. He emigrated to the United States in
1871, lived in Illinois one year, and in Iowa, until 1875, when he re-
moved to Dakota and settled in this county, where he has since been
a permanent resident. Mr. Jacobson took up a homestead in section
12, in Split Rock, where he still resides and has a well improved
farm with good buildings. He is a good citizen.

Jacobson, Phillip, another son of L. A. Jacobson, was born in
Sweden, October 18, 1864. He owns a good farm comprising 160
acres in section 24, where he resides, and also 80 acres in section 3(),
in Split Rock. He is a good farmer and a good citizen.

Jones, Thomas P., was born in Anglesey, North Wales, Eng-
land, October 8, 1855. He emigrated to this country and lived a few
years in Mankato, Minnesota. August 20, 1888, he became a resi-
dent of this county, where he has bought and now owns 80 acres in
section 36, in Split Rock, one lot on east Sixth street in the citv of
Sioux Palls, and a house and lot in Rowena.

Johnson, Charles, was born in Stockholm, Sweden, June 25,
1834. In 1868, he emigrated to the United States, and resided at
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, live years, then at Sioux City for a short time,
and removed from there to Dakota in 1873 and settled in this county.
He took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 12, in
Split Rock, where he still resides and has a good farm.

Knutson, John, was ])()rn August 10, 1843, in Norway. He
emigrated to the United States, lived in Iowa for three years and re-
moved to Minnehaha county in 1873. He then filed a pre-emption,
which he changed to a homestead, on the northwest quarter of sec-
tion 15, in the town of Split Rock, where he still resides. He after-
wards bought 160 acres of land in section 17, in the same town. He
is a respected citizen and an enterprising farmer.

Larson, George, is a native of Sweden, and was born May 13,
1860. In June, 1871, he came to this county with his parents, who
settled in Split Rock township. His father, Andreas Larson, who



2% HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



died a few years ag-o, took up 160 acres of land in sections 22 and 23.
of which the subject of this sketch is now the owner, besides another
quarter section which he also owns, and has a g-ood farm. He has
been township treasurer ten successive years, and is a o-ood farmer
and a g^ood citi/.en.

Lee, Martin T., was born in Christiania, Norwa}-, January 16,
1861, and came to the United States with his parents in 1867. For
three years his parents resided in Iowa, but in June, 1870, removed
to Split Rock in this county. They arrived on the 18th day of June,
and the subject of this sketch, was old enough to remember that dur-
ing- the first two w^eeks of their residence there they lived on fish and
milk. The old homestead is located on the northwest quarter of sec-
tion 2 in Split Rock, and he now resides there with his father. He
has boug-ht some farm land near the homestead, and is an industrious,
upright man and a good citizen. He has been town supervisor for
several years.

Lee, Thorsten A., was born near Christiania, Norway, August
11, 1846. In June, 1867, he emigrated to the United States, settled in
Iowa for three years, and then came to Split Rock, arriving there
June 18, 1870. He soon after took up 160 acres in section 2 in Split
Rock, where he has since resided. He is a good farmer and a good
citizen.

LiNDSTROM, Charles A., is a native of Sweden, and was born
on the 29th day of November, 1841. In 1853 he emigrated to the
United States with his parents, and resided in Illinois and Iowa
until about the first day of June, 1871, when he came to this countv.
He settled in Split Rock, and took up 240 acres of land in sections 17
and 20 in that township. In 1873 he was elected sheriif of the count}^
of Minnehaha, but did not qualify. He has held school district of-
fices and has been chairman of the town board. In July, 1861, he en-
listed in the 42d Illinois regiment and served until January, 1866.
He was wounded in the battle of Stone River, and again in the battle
of Resaca, Georgia. He was sergeant two years, and when dis-
charg-ed was lieutenant in Co. I. Mr. Lindstrom is an honest, up-
right citizen, and is one of the most respected farmers in the county.

Lowe, Wiley V., was born at Wheeling, West Virginia, August
13, 1865; was reared in the State of Illinois, and educated at the Nor-
mal school at Stanberry, Mo.; was then employed as bookkeeper for
several corporations in Iowa; came to East Sioux Palls in 1889, and
took the position of bookkeeper for the East Sioux Brails Granite Co.;
in 1896, he became the local manager of the East Sioux Falls Quarry
Co., which position he still holds. He has been postmaster of East
Sioux Palls post office for several years, and has been city auditor
since 1892. Mr. Lowe is a young man of sterling worth, industrious
and enterprising, and is an honest, upright citizen.

MoNSON, Oliver, has been a w-ell known resident of this county
since November 21, 1875; he came to this county from Pennsylvania,
where he first located after his coming to the United States. He se-
cured a homestead of 160 acres in section 19, in the town of S])lit



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 2^)7



Rock, where lie has since resided, and lias a well ini])r()ve(l farm,
with ^'ood biiildino-s. He has held the oHice of justice of the peace,
and has been a menil)er of the town and school hoards. He is a na-
ti\e of Sweden and was horn July 2*^ 1851. He is an industrious
farmer and a ij-ood citizen.

NiLSSON, Andrew, was born in the province of Werniland,
Sweden, on the r2th day of March, 1834. He eniig-rated to the United
States in 1867, lived in Illinois live years, and came to Dakota in 1872,
and located in this county, where he has since been a well and favor-
ably known resident. He secured a homestead and tree claim in
section 1 in Split Rock, and has since purchased about 200 acres of
land adjoining-, and has a g'ood farm. He is also the owner of some
real estate in the city of Sioux Falls. He resides on his homestead
with his family, having- five sons and two g'irls, and is a respected
and g'ood citizen. He has been treasurer of the school board in S]ilit
Rock several years.

Olander, Charles, one of the early settlers of this county, is
a native of Sweden, and was born in 1844. He emig-rated to the
United States, lived in Michig-an for some time, and located on his
present homestead in 1872, which comprises the southeast (juarter
of section 11 in Split Rock township. He also owns land in sections
2 and 11 in the same township, and eig-hty acres in section 1() in
Valley Spring's township. He has been a member of the town board
of supervisors several years, was assessor in 1888, and justice of the
peace in 1891. He is one of the well-to-do farmers of the township,
and is a g-ood citizen.

Peterson, Bernt S., one of the pioneers of Split Rock, was
born in Norway June 23, 1846, emigrated to the United States in
1860, and lived in Iowa until 1869, when he located in Split Rock,
where he has since remained a permanent resident. The only set-
tlers in this township at that time were OleBerg-erson, Soren Berg-er-
son and O. B. Iverson. He says he w^as the second man who secured
a marriag-e license in this county, and Rev. Olson, now living- at
Canton, solemnized the marriag-e. They lived in a sod and log- house
for ten years, which, as prosperity advanced, g-ave place for more
modern structures. He has been a successful farmer, and resides
on his homestead in section 9, and has a well improved farm, well
stocked. He was constable in 1871, has been road master for about
fifteen years, and is a g-ood citizen.

Reid, Alfred, was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1870, and
emig-rated to the United States and settled in this county in 1887.
He took up his residence at Rovvena, and eng-aged in the stone busi-
ness until quite recently, when he opened a g-eneral store at that
place. He has been town clerk two years, and town treasurer since
1897, and postmaster since December of that year, is an energ-etic,
active citizen, and popular with his neig-hbors, and all who know him.

Robertson, John, was born in the state of New York in 1<S47.
In 1864 he enlisted in the na\y, and served until the close of the war.
He then engag-ed in farming- in Illinois and Iowa until 1884, when he



298 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



removed to Dakota and settled on his present homestead, the south-
east quarter of section 23, in Split Rock, where he still resides. He
is a good farmer and a respected citizen.

Rydo, Charles, is a native of Sweden, and was born in Nerike
December 18, 1835. He came to this country in 1871, and lived in
Pennsylvania and Iowa until 1876, when he settled in this countv.
He owns the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section
14, and resides there.

Samuelson, John A., is one of the iirst settlers in Split Rock.
He was born in Sweden, June 26, 1837; emigrated to the United
States in 1868, and lived one year in Iowa. In 1869 he came to
Dakota and settled on his present homestead of 160 acres in section
13, in Split Rock, where he has since resided engaged in farming.
He is a good citizen.

Simons, Nels, was born in Norway November 15, 1848, and
emigrated to the United States in 1869. After having remained in
Wisconsin for about two months he went to work on a steamboat on
the Mississippi river. The next winter he spent in Clinton, Iowa,



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 31 of 99)