and in the spring of 1870 went to Sioux City and engaged in steam-
boating on the Missouri river. In 1871 he came to Split Rock, this
county, and took up the northeast quarter of section 35. He has
since sold one-half of this land, and purchased other land near by
and has now a farm of 295 acres. He resides on the west half of
the northwest quarter of section 35. Until 1882 he was engaged
every year in steamboating- either on the Mississippi or Missouri
rivers, and during two seasons since then was engaged in the same
business on the upper Missouri. For fifteen years he held a license
as first mate. Mr. Simons is a character. He is a g-ood talker and
takes an active part in politics, and is on one side or the other on all
political questions. He has held school district and town offices and
is a g-ood official, and a republican convention in this county without
his presence as a delegate would not only be noticed but reg-retted.
He is a keen, sharp man, and maintains a good reputation as an
honest, public-spirited citizen.
SwENSON, Sever Martin, was born in Norway April 15, 1859.
He emigrated to the United States with his pareiits in 1866, and
located in Iowa till 1870, when they removed to this county. Some
years ago he bought the southeast quarter of section 10, where he
now resides, and has quite a good farm. He has held some school
offices, and is a good citizen.
Thompson, Samuel, is a native of Norway, and was born August
11, 1863; attended school and worked on a farm until he emigrated to
the United States with his parents in 1874. His father, Thomas
Thompson, took up one hundred and sixty acres in section 29 in Split
Rock township in 1874, but died two years later. A part of the
homestead is within the limits of the city of Kast Sioux Falls, and
the subject of this sketch resides in the city. He has been alderman
two years, and mayor of the city hve years; was nominated for repre-
sentative to the legislature by the Republican party of this county in
HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 301
1898, but the fusionists were in the majority. Mr. Thoin])son is an
energ-etic, enterprisinof citizen, and hig-hly esteemed.
Thompson, Thomas L., a brother of Samuel Thompson, was
born in Norway in March, 18G1, and came to this county with
his parents in 1874, since which time he has been a resident of Split
Rock township. He resides at Kast Sioux Palls, and has been alder-
man of that city one term, and is a respected citizen,
ToRKiLDSON, IvER, has lived in Minnehaha county since 1873.
He formerh' resided in Iowa, where he first settled after coming- to
the United States. He is the owner of a g-ood homestead on the
southeast quarter of section 1, in the town of Split Rock, where he
now lives. He is a native of Norway, and was born in 1848.
Webster, Madison, is a native of New York, and was born in
1840. He resided for a while in Iowa, but removed to Split Rock in
this county in 1873. He took up a homestead in section 26, and
since then has added to his real estate by pre-emption and purchase
so that now he has 550 acres of farm land. The stone quarry near
Rowena is located on land purchased from him. Mr. Webster is an
industrious man and a good citizen.
White, CtEorge B., has been a resident of this county since
June, 1870, at which time he came here and took up as a homestead
the southeast quarter of section 35, in Split Rock. He now resides
in Sioux Palls. He has been clerk of the town board, and treasurer
and clerk of school district No. 6. Mr.AVhite is a gfood farmer and a
g-ood citizen. He was born January 3, 1853, in Athens county, Ohio.
Woehrle, John, came to the United States in 1880, from Wur-
temberg-, Germany, where he was born April 21, 1848. He owns the
northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 6, in the town
of Split Rock. He is a g-ood citizen.
SIOUX FAI.I.S TOW^NSHIP.
The first settlement in the county was made in Sioux Palls town-
ship. In the first chapter it appears at what time and by whom the
first settlement was made; in fact, the, history of the township com-
prises so much of the early history of the county that it will be found
interwoven with and a part of nearly all its events of importance.
There is some fine land in the township; but a short distance from
the Big Sioux river, especially in the northwestern part of the town-
ship, there are some hig-h bluifs where the soil is lig-ht and sandy.
It is watered by the Big- Sioux river, and its course in the township
runs in the direction of nearly all the points of the compass. It en-
ters on section five, and leaves the township on section one, after
passing- throug-h not less than nineteen sections. The township lines
were surveyed by W. J. Neeley in July, 1859, and the subdivisions
were made by him in Aug-ust and September of the same year. By
this survey the township contained 23,022.83 acres of land, and what
is now called Covell's lake covered eighty acres. The map of the
township made by Surveyor Neeley is very interesting. It appears
from this map that the first settlers intended to build the town at the
foot of the falls on the west bank, as there is a plat of thirty blocks,
five deep, east and west following the course of the river, and six
north and south. There were fifteen blocks on each side of the sec-
tion line between sections nine and sixteen. Of course, no other
record was ever made of this the first plat made in the county. As
appears elsewhere in this book, the first building- erected in the
county was called the Dubuque house, and appears on this map as
being in the third block from the west, and just north of the section
line mentioned above, and as near the middle of the plat as it could
be placed. A small space, near where Levi Carter's residence now
stands on section four, extending into section three, is designated as
a field. At the southeast corner of section four there is a represen-
tation of a building, with the word "Fuller's"; and a field a few rods
south in sections nine and ten. There is also another field near the
south line of section ten. The northeast quarter of the northeast
quarter of section seventeen, what is now platted as McClellan's Ad-
dition to West Sioux Palls, was designated as " Jarrett's farm," and
a small field appears on the south line of this quarter section. This
map also indicates that Gov. Masters had a house on the southeast
(juarter of section seventeen, and it appears to have been located as
near as may be on what is now block eleven in Bennett's Pirst Addi-
HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 303
tion, between Spring- and Duluth avenues and Seventh and Eighth
streets in the city of Sioux Palls. Another small field appears a
little west and south of where the Jordan Methodist church is now
located, on the east side of the river. This field is designated as
" Little's field." Another small field appears in what is now Park
Addition, and still another called "White's field" situated on the
north side of the river in the northwest quarter of section thirty-
four. There also appears to have been a stone house in the southeast
corner of the southwest quarter of section twenty-two.
In 1877, the village of Sioux Palls, comprising twelve hundred
acres, was carved out of this township. On the 3d day of March,
1883, the city of Sioux Palls was incorporated, comprising all the
territory of the village and much more, as it took nine full sections
from the township, and since that time a little more than two sections
have been added to the citv. Upon the incorporation of the town of
South Sioux Palls three and one-half sections more ware taken from
the township, so that it has only about twenty-orte sections left, and
this portion is so covered with plats that it seems out of place to at-
tempt to raise anything uj)()n it but "garden-truck."
LIST OP OPPICERS, 1S81-18')9.
188L Supervisors, H. R. Hunter, chairman, A. P. Davenport
and Knut Thompson; clerk, Edward C. Currey; treasurer, G. B.
Sammons; assessor, Henry Callender; constables, C. T. Jeffers and
Henry Callender; justice. Prank S. Emerson. July 22, E. C. Currey
resigned as clerk and C. W. McDonald was appointed in his place,
and at the same time L. D. Henry was appointed justice of the peace.
December 29, D. S. Glidden was appointed treasurer, G. B. Sam-
mons having removed from the township.
1882. Supervisors, A. A. Grant, chairman, J. H. Stockton and
Knut Thompson; clerk, C. W. McDonald; treasurer, D. S. Glidden;
justices, L. D. Henry and Prank S. Emerson. April 29, McDonald
not having qualified as assessor. Prank S. Emerson was appointed,
and on the ()th day of July, McDonald resigned as clerk, and Prank
S. Emerson was appointed to fill vacancy.
1883. Supervisors, A. A. (xrant, chairman, J. H. Stockton and
Knut Thompson; clerk, H. M. Avery; treasurer. H. S. Hill; assessor,
P. S. Emerson; justices, L. D. Henry and E. C. Hawkins; constables,
John Sundback and T. D. Ouigley. "^May 28, D. S. (Glidden was ap-
pointed treasurer, and a contract was made with Cashman & Smith
for building a bridge across the Sioux river at the Yankton crossing
1884. Supervisors, A. P. Davenport, C. Broughton and David
Reynolds; clerk, Prank Pord; treasurer, J. S. Udell; assessor, Wm.
1885. Supervisors, A. P. Davenport, chairman, D. Reynolds
and H. Hunter; clerk, Prank Porde; treasurer, John T. Udell; as-
assessor, J. D. Redding.
1886. Supervisors, A. P. Davenport, chairman, D. Reynolds
and H. Hunter; clerk, Prank Forde; assessor, J. D. Redding.
3U4 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.
1887. Supervisors, A. J. Rowland, chairman, Wm. Howie, Sr.,
and H. C. Aid rich; clerk, W. P. Willard; treasurer, C. E. Place; as-
sessor, J. T. Udell; justice, (i. A. Campbell. The treasurer re-
ported he had received durin^f the year Sl,%8.20, and that the bal-
ance on hand was S37.08.
1888. Supervisors, Wm. Howie, Sr., chairman, H. C. iildrich
and John Schaetzel; clerk, W. P. Willard; assessor, A. L. Caskey;
treasurer, E. S. Carter; justice, L. A. BuUard; constables, J. D.
Reddino- and Jacob Hawkins.
1880. Supervisors, Henry Hunter, chairman, A. C. Aldrich
and John Schaetzel; clerk, W. P. Williard; treasurer, Henry Pum-
mel; assessor, E. W. Tufts; justice, G. A. Campbell; constable, J.
T. McGarraug-h. October 12, W. P. Willard resigned the office of
clerk and W. H. Heiss was appointed to fill vacancy.
1890. Supervisors, John Fortune, chairman, E. W. Tufts and
A. C. Collins; clerk, W. H. Heiss; treasurer, Isaac Waring-; as-
sessor, J. C. Tufts; justices, J. T. McGarraug-h and Georg-e Baker;
constables, H. C. Aldrich and Georg-e Dukelow.
1891. Supervisors, A. C. Collins, chairman, P. H. Georg-e and
E. W. Tufts; clerk, Wm. H. Heiss, Jr.; assessor, P. D. Gushard;
treasurer, James A. Waring-; justice, H. C. Aldrich and E. Caldwell;
constables, J. T. McGarraugh and L. P. Caldwell. P. D. Gushard
did not qualify for assessor, and Fred M. Carter was appointed. At
a special, town meeting- March 19, it was decided b}^ a vote of 71 to 37
to appropriate S5,500 for construction and repair of hig-hways.
1892. Supervisors, A. C. Collins, chairman, W. G. Lacey and
Georg-e A. Baker; clerk, W. H. Heiss, Jr.; treasurer, J. A. War-
ing-; assessor, Pred Carter; justices, A. M. McNaug-hton and J. C.
Tufts; constables, J. T. McGarraug-h and H. C. Aldrich.
1893. Supervisors, A. J. Hug-hes, chairman, W. G. Lacey and
A. Caldwell; clerk, W. H. Heiss, Jr.; treasurer, Henry Truxes; as-
sessor, H. J. Whipple.
1894. Supervisors, S. W. Helsen, chairman, W. G. Lacey and
A. Caldwell; clerk, W. H. Heiss, Jr.; treasurer, Henry Truxes;
assessor, James R. Waring-.
1895. Supervisors, S. W. Helson, chairman, Georg-e A. Baker
and A. C. Collins; clerk, P. M. Carter; treasurer, R. E. Brooks:
assessor, A. Long-.
1896. Supervisors, S. W. Helson, chairman, Georg-e A. Baker
and Prank Porde; clerk, E. S. Carter; treasurer, Richard E. Brooks;
assessor, A. C. Long-.
1897. Supervisors, George A. Baker, chairman, John Klee-
man and L. D. Lacey; clerk, W. P. Willard; treasurer, Richard
Brooks; assessor, P. M. Carter.
1898. Supervisors, Prank Porde, chairman, L. D. Lacey and E.
S. Carter; clerk, W. P. Willard; treasurer, Louis Zentle; assessor,
Wm. Howie, Jr.; justice of the peace, Wm. Caldwell.
1899. Supervisors, L. D. Lacey, chairman. Prank Porde and Geo.
A. Baker; clerk, W. P. Willard; treasurer, Louis Zentle; assessor,
Wm. Howie, Jr.; justice of the peace, D. P. Harring-ton; constable,
Ralph Den slow.
HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 307
Baker, Gp:urge A., is a native of Enj^-land, and was born on the
18th day of February, 1849. He received a common school education,
and worked on a farm until he was twenty-one years of age, at which
time he emig-rated to the United States, and for a while resided in
Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In 1871 he took up his residence in Rock
Rapids, Iowa, and remained there two years. He then removed to
South Dakota, and located in this county, taking- up the southwest
quarter of section 33 in Sioux Palls township, where he has since re-
sided. In addition to this, he has 80 acres of land in Lincoln county,
which he also farms. He was chairman of the township board of
supervisors during- 18% and 1897. He made a gfood official, is a g-ood
citizen, and an enterprising-, prog-ressive farmer.
Caldwell, Erasmus, was born in Port Hope, Canada, January
30, 1822. He removed from there to Minnesota, and came to this
county in 1871, and took up what is now known as the Bunker place
in Sioux Falls township. After residing- there a few years he dis-
posed of it and settled in section twenty-five same township. He is
a quiet, unassuming- man and a g-ood citizen. He has two sons Louis
P., and x^delbert, who are both enterprising- young- farmers, and
g-ood citizens of the county. Mr. Caldwell had his share of the hard-
ships of pioneer life, but he courag-eously braved it throug-h, without
outside help, freig-hting- for C. K. Howard when farming- would not
pay. He said when he first arrived in Sioux Falls he tendered a one
hundred dollar check on a bank in Redwing-, Minn., in payment for
g-oods in Moulton's store. Mr. Moulton was unable to chang-e it, but
at last True Dennis was found to be in possession of sufficient readv
money to make the exchang-e. However, he was uncertain about the
validity of the check, althoug-h Mr. Moulton assured him "You bet it
is all rig-ht," but finally, after a g-ood hour's neg-otiation, accommo-
dated Mr. Caldwell. At the first visit to Sioux City the check was
promptly honored by the bank, and Mr. Caldwell had no further
trouble about the acceptance of his checks whenever presented.
Caldwell, William, is a native of Ontario, Canada, and was
born June 5, 1849, in the villag-e of Orono, in Durham county, was
reared on his father's farm, and attended the public schools, and a
commercial collegfe at London, Canada; came to the United States
and eng-ag-ed in farming- at Redwing, Minn., for two years and a half;
came to Sioux Falls and worked for C. K. Howard for about two
years; returned to Canada, and was a commercial traveler for^ nearlv
ten years; in 1881 took up land in Miner county, South Dakota, and
engaged in farming at that place for seven years, and managed the
Corson Brothers' farm in this county for two years. He has been
justice of the peace of Sioux Falls township since 1393, and is popu-
larly known as Judge Caldwell. He is a good citizen.
FoRDE, Frank, was born in Ireland February 26, 1848, and
emigrated from the land of his nativity to Pennsylvania in 1866,
where he resided two years. He then went to England and remained
six months, returned to the oil region in Pennsylvania for six months,
308 HISTORYOP' MINNEHAHA C3UNT^.
and then started West with his brother. Arrivino- at Omaha in the
summer of 1869 he and his brother agreed to "flip a copper" and let
it decide whether they would go to California or to Sioux Palls,
where Jack had been before. The turn of the copper decided in
favor of Sioux Falls, and they came. Hunting was a pretty good
business in this reg-ion of the country in those days, and they im-
mediately purchased an outfit of traps and other equipments for
hunting and commenced business. The brothers built a log shanty
on the bank of the Big Sioux west of town, in the fall of 1869, and
trapped muskrat, mink, beaver, fox and wolf. There were at this
time muskrats in great abundance, and the other animals enumerated
v.^ere not scarce, and occasionally an otter would be caught. Porde
savs, "I believe I have stood in one place and shot 100 muskrats be-
fore stopping." In 1870 Prank formed a partnership with Big
Eagle, chief of the Santee Sioux, and Lewis Hulitt, and engag-ed in
trapping and hunting in what is now Minnehaha and Lake counties.
Late in the spring of 1871 they loaded their furs upon an old wagon,
and with a pair of oxen, started for New Ulm, Minnesota, to dispose
of their season's work. They arrived there in June and sold their
furs for a little over SI, 000; then loaded their wagon with provisions,
ammunition and whiskey, and started back. Arriving at Plandreau
they met Cash Coats, and he was taken into a partnership in a new
scheme. They went to Pipestone and quarried a quantity of pipe-
stone sawed it into 600 blocks of such size that they could be easily
manufactured into pipes. Then all but Big- Eagle came to Sioux
Palls. Among other purchases the firm had made were ten gallons
of whiskey and ten gallons of alcohol. They all pledged themselves
not to take a single drink, and started back to Plandreau where Big
Eagde was to join them, and then they would proceed across the
country to Port Thompson west of the Missouri river, to dispose of
their pipestone, whiskey and alcohol. They went north and camped
the first nig-ht about twelve miles from Sioux Palls. The next morn-
ing-, being very dry, they finally concluded to vote on the question
whether they would take a drink, and the ballot showed three ayes.
At Plandreau, Big Eagle joined them, and they started on the
Brooking's trail, as it was called, for the west. They did not make
very rapid marches with their ox-team, but they did hold a good
many elections on the way, and every time the vote was taken they
had less whiskey. At last they arrived at their destination, but they
had nothing to dispose of but their pipestone. Por a day or two
everything went on smoothly. Thev were selling the Indians ten
pipes for a good pony, four for a buffalo robe, one for a blanket and
so on. when the Indians began to claim the pipestone belong-ed to
the Indians, and that Porde and company had no right to quarry it.
The party was soon brought before the agent, and he read them a
portion of a treaty from which it appeared that the pipestone quarry
was Indian property, and he advised them it would be best to move
on. They g-ot in motion at once, taking- w^ith them all their effects,
and they kept on the march until eleven o'clock at night, when they
camped, got their supper and retired. But it was not long before
they heard unearthly yells and found they were surrounded by
HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 309
Indians, who proceeded to business at once, takino- into their posses-
sion all the property they had sold, and contiscated "as contraband"
all the remaining- material for pipes. The party was now nearly
bankrupt, having- only a small quantity of provision and Coats a little
money. They proceeded to Yankton, and from there came to Sioux
Palls. They held no elections on the way, a yea vote on the question
that they voted on g"oing- out, would have been meaningdess, in fact вАФ
dispiriting-. Mr. Forde says: "Beavers are g-ood eating-, and the tail
of a beaver is a g-reat delicacy; have cooked and eaten them a g-reat
many times in mv shanty." He at first "squatted" on what is now
Park Addition in the city of Sioux Palls, but there being- no fuel or
water upon it, abandoned it, and took by pre-emption the northwest
quarter of section 19, where his dairy farm is now located. In 1873
he g;ot his patent to this land, sig-ned by Gen. Grant, and afterwards
offered to sell the land for S400, but was compelled to keep it. In
1888 he sold a half interest in it to Melvin Grig-sby for S10,000. He
has now a larg-e dairy and sells milk all the year round to the people
of Sioux Palls. The building-s upon this farm cost several thousand
dollars. Mr. Porde is a man of g-reat energ-y, is an active enterpris-
ing- citizen and alwavs takes a lively interest in political matters.
He has been a member of the township board several years and was
its chairman in 1898 and was elected for the three vears term to the
same office in March, 1899.
Carter, Levi S., is a native of New Hampton. New Hampshire,
and was born May 4, 1831. He was reared on a farm and educated in
the district schools and New Hampton Academy. When twenty-one
years of ag-e he eng-ag-ed in teaching- school. Two years later he
learned photog-raphy and for live years was eng-ag-ed in the photo-
g-raphic business in New Eng'land and Chicag-o. In 1858 he turned
his attention to dentistry, and after g-raduating- from the Baltimore
Dental Colleg-e practiced his profession for ten years in Illinois. He
then eng-ag-ed in the drug- business about thirteen years at Mendota,
Illinois. On the 28th day of July, 1882, he arrived in Sioux Palls,
and soon after purchased the northeast quarter of section 4, in Sioux
Palls township, where he has since resided. He has been employed
to make crop reports for this county since the first year of his
residence here, and has kept a climatic record since 1885. He has
for several years been Volunteer Meteorological Observer at Sioux
Palls for the U. S. Department of Agriculture, and is an active, and
hig-hly respected citizen.
Jones, Daniel W., was born in Deerfield, Franklin counlv ,
Massachusetts, Pebruary 28, 1832. He was reared on a farm and
educated in the common schools. He resided in Vermont two years
and for several vears in Illinois, and came to this county in 187').
He boug-ht the northwest (piarter of section 13, in Sioux Palls town-
ship and has resided there since then. It is a g-ood farm, and he has
a handsome home. He is also the owner of other farm lands in Split
Rock and Valley Spring-s. Mr. Jones is an honest, upright citizen.
Jones, Elijah, was born in Miomi county. Ohio, July 14, 1828;
was reared on a farm, and was eng-aged in farming- in his native state
310 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.
until the fall of 1858, when he moved to Marshal county, Iowa, where
he resided until the fall of 1874, when he came to Dakota and settled
in Lincoln county, half a mile from Sioux Palls township. He was
chairman of the supervisors of Spring-dale township fourteen years.
In 1893 he removed to Sioux Falls township where he now resides.
He is a respected citizen,
Johns, Henry, was born in Germany, September 21, 1851; was
reared on a farm, and attended the public schools until seventeen
years of ag-e, when he learned the cooper's trade, and until 1881 was
a journeyman cooper in his native country. In February, 1881, ar-
rived in America; worked at his trade in the State of New York one
year, and in Chicago until April, 1886, when he came to Sioux Falls.
Soon after his arrival at this place he was employed in the cooper
shop at the brewery, and remained there until the fall of 1888, when
he purchased a few acres of land in section eleven in Sioux Falls
tow^nship and commenced market gardening-, in which he still con-
tinues. He has been a school officer in school district No. 16 for ten
years, is a good neighbor, and an industrious, uprig-ht citizen.
Kingsbury, Edgar J., was born April 3, 1831, at Andover, Con-
necticut. He was reared on a farm, and was educated in the com-
mon schools and the high school of East Hampton, Massachusetts.
At the age of seventeen years he commenced teaching- school, and
for the next eight years worked on the farm and taught school dur-
ing the winters. From this time until he came to this county in
1880, he was engaged in farming- on the old homestead in Andover.
He resided in Sioux Falls two years, and then moved onto his farm
of 320 acres in sections 14 and 23 in Mapleton, where he remained
until a few years ag-o, when he built a fine residence on section 3 in
Sioux Falls township where he now resides. Mr. Kingsbury is an
honest, upright citizen, and well liked bv his neighbors and acquaint-
Lacey, William G., was born at Wheatland, Monroe county, N.
Y., October 26, 1814; graduated at Vermont University; took a law