Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 35 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 35 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the principal assistant in the Central school, who was to receive four
hundred dollars, and the principals in the North and East schools
were to receive four hundred and fortv dollars per vear.

In 1884, S. McCormack, H. W. Ross, R. G. Parmley and Rev. E.
P. Livingston were elected members of the board, and with L. D.
Henry, W. H. Nelson, C. L. Norton and O. P. Weston, who held
over, constituted the board of education. W. H. Nelson was elected
president of the board and T. A. Robinson secretary. Prof. A. T.
Free of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, was employed as superintendent of
schools at a salary of SI, 000.

In June, the old school building and the lots on the east side of
the river were sold, and in August of the same year, block No. 40, in
Gale's Sixth addition, was bought for the sum of fifteen hundred
dollars, and the contract for erecting the building- thereon was
awarded to A. J. Mabey for six thousand four hundred twenty-one
dollars and fifty cents. The Advent church was rented for school
purposes at a rental of eight dollars per month.

In 1885, John Bippus, John W. Leverett, E. S. Norton, W. H.
Nelson, E. P. Livingston, N. E. Stringham, S. McCormack, and O.
P. Weston were members of the board of education. W. H. Nelson
was elected president and T. A. Robinson secretary. On the 16th
day of June, Professor Free, who had made application for the posi-
tion of superintendent for the ensuing year, withdrew his applica-
tion, and on July 17, Livingston McCartney was engaged at a salary
of SI, 000. Rev. E. P. Livingston, member of the board from the 4th
ward died in September, and Peter Becker was appointed to fill the
vacancy October 23.

In September, 1885, at the suggestion of Professor McCartney,
the schools were named as follows: the central building was called
the Irving school, the north building- the Hawthorne, the east build-
ing the Whittier and the southeast building the Longfellow.

In 1886, the board was made up of the following- named persons:
John Bippus, G. C. Jones, J. \Y. Leverett, E. S. Norton, W. H. Nel-
son, N. E. Stringham, O. P. Weston and Rev. W. J. Skillman. Mr.
Nelson was elected president and T. A. Robinson secretary. Pro-
fessor McCartney's salary was raised to SI, 200.

In April, 1887, the board ag-ain recog-nized the necessity for more
school room, and block 32 in Folsora's 2d addition and the south
half of block 4 in Covell's addition were purchased, the former for
fourteen hundred dollars, the latter for twenty-five hundred dollars.
The board of education in 1887, was as follows: F. S. Emerson, J.
M. Bailey, Jr., E. S. Norton, Otto Heynsohn, W. H. Nelson, N. E.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 320



Strino-ham, W. J. Skillman and P. M. Gee. W. H. Nelson was presi-
dent and T. A. Robinson secretary.

In 1888, J. M. Bailev, Jr., P. P. Peck, Roy Williams, Otto Hevn-
sohn, W. H. Nelson, N.'E. String-ham, Rev. W. J. Skillman and"F.
M. Gee. constituted the board of education. It appears from the
records that the board was not entirely harmonious upon some prop-
ositions. They could not aofree upon a president and, althouy-h they
balloted on several occasions, no one was elected, and W. H. Nelson
presided at their meetino-s. Professor McCartney was employed as
superintendent for another year, and T. A. Robinson was elected
secretary, but resigned, and on the 29th of June, I>. R. Root was
elected. In the spring- of 1888, plans were drawn by W. L. Dow for
a six room stone building-, and in June the contract was let to Jordan
Bros, for ?15,1()0. The building- was finished in the winter of 18S').
and was named the Lincoln school.

The result of the election in 1889, left only the Rev. W. J. Skill-
man and P. M. (xee of the old members upon the board. Cyrus
Walts, R. J. Wells, Wm. VanBps, Carl Kleinpel, (xeorge Arneson
and W. R. King-sbury were the members elected. L. R. Root having-
resigned as secretary on the 11th day of May, 1889, T. G. Brown
was elected. Professor McCartney's application for the position of
superintendent was accepted, but afterwards he asked to be relieved
from his contract, which was granted by the board, and Professor J.
K. Davis was employed in his place. In July the board decided to
purchase block 2 of tract 9, Mason's addition, at a price not to ex-
ceed S2,000 for a school site, and to build a school house in northeast
Sioux Palls, 24x36, the cost not to exceed S()00. In July the contract
for building- an addition to the north school building- was awarded to
T. N. Ross for S2,250, also the contract for the northeast building,
(known as the Riverside school) for SI, 050. These were built during
the summer of 1889 and opened for use in the fall. At a reg-ular
meeting of the board March 10,1890, it was decided to erect an eight
room building of Sioux Palls jasper in block 32, Polsom's addition,
on the ground already owned by the school board. Plans and speci-
fications were furnished by Messrs. Sargent & Cross, In July the
contract for the building was awarded to A. O. Almos for S28,500,
and the name of Lowell school given to the building^-. On the 7th day
of April, 1890; Mr. Kleinpel resigned, and C. E. McKinney was ap-
pointed to fill the vacancy May 5, 1890. During the school year of
1889, Cyrus W^alts was president of the board.

After the election in 1890, the board of education was as follows:
1st ward, Cyrus Walts, J. T. Gilbert; 2d ward, Wm. Van Eps, C. E.
McKinnev; 3d ward, George Arneson, W. R. Kingsbury; 4th ward,
Rev. W. J. Skillman, P. M. Gee. The Rev. AV. Skillman was elected
president and T. G. Brown secretary. Professor A. M. Rowe was
employed as superintendent.

In 1891, the legislature passed an extensive educational l)ill, and
although it occupied forty pages in the session laws of 1891, still no
ordinary mortal could determine from its provisions the proper time
for holding school elections in the city of Sioux Palls. Owing to the
uncertainty in this matter, no election for members of the board of



330



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY,



education was held in the city of Sioux Falls in 1891 and 1892. The
old members remained on the board until 1893. J. T. Gilbert was
president in 1891-2 and T. G. Brown secretary. Professor Rowe
was eng-ag-ed as superintendent for 1892.

In June, 1891, it was decided to purchase lots 14, 15 and 16, block
17, Summit addition, for $1,000, and in July the contract for the
building- was awarded to James Byrne for $2,128, according- to
])lans drawn by J. Schwarz, and the building- was completed October
1, 1891. The Lowell school building- was accepted the 7th day of
September, 1891.




Lowell School Building.



In June, 1892, block 15 in Harrison's addition was purchased for
school purposes, and the contract for building- a school house was let
to James Byrne on the 8th day of July for the sum of S2,175. The
block cost $1,200. This school is known as the Meredith school, and
the building- was first occupied for school purposes in the fall of 1892.
On the 21st day of October, Columbus day was celebrated by the
schools. The Arg-us-Leader of that date says: "This morning- oc-
curred the g-randest celebration which Sioux Palls has seen in years.
For conception, org-anization and execution it surpasses anvthing-
ever attempted here, and the impression made upon the larg-e
audience was one of surprise and admiration. Certainly Professor
Rowe and his able corps of teachers deserve the hig-hest praise for
the smoothness with which the attractive parade and program were
executed." On the 30th day of December the board passed a resolu-
tion requesting- the mayor of the city of Sioux Falls to call an elec-
tion to determine whether the city would bond in the sum of $40,000



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 331



for the purpose of erecting- a hig-h school buildino- on the Central
school grounds. The question was not submitted.

By the records of the school board it appears, that in February
18*)4 Miss Helen King-sbury was teaching- school in Hunter's addition
in a room that had been obtained for that purpose.

The third session of the legislature passed an act proxiding-a
time for holding- election for school offices in municipalities, and by
this means, at the annual city election in April, 18*)3, the members of
the board of education, who had been compelled to perform its thank-
less duties for so long- a time, had an opportunity to retire, and
others desirious of g-iving- the educational interests of the city the
benefit of their services had an opportunity to attain to the position
of a member of the city board of education.

At this election two members were elected from each ward in
the city, and the following- named persons were the successful
candidates:

1st ward, J. T. Gilbert, S. H. Mag-ner; 2d ward, H. T. Parmley,
B. D. Morcom; 3d ward, D. C. Ricker, Georg-e Arneson;4th ward,

F. M. Gee, Jonah Jones; 5th ward, L. A. Perkins, U. S. G. Cherrv;
Gth ward, Tho's Bushell, D. R. Howie.

This election was a spirited one in some of the wards, even the
women voting- quite freely.

The board org-anized by electing- E. D. Morcom president, U. S.

G. Cherry vice president and Curtis Beach secretary. Promptly
upon org-anization the board proceeded to elect Professor Rowe
superintendent of schools, and fixed his salary at $1,800. H. J,
Davenport was elected as principal of the hig-h school at a salary of
S1,000.

After the annual election in 1804, the members of the school
board were as follows:

1st ward, J. T. Gilbert, S. H. Mag-ner; 2d ward, E. D. Morcom,
H. T. Parmley; 3d ward, Georg-e Arneson, D. C. Ricker; 4th w^ard,
Jonah Jones, J. B. Watson; 5th ward, L. A. Perkins, U. S. G.
Cherry; 6th ward, D. R. Howie, T. J. Bushell.

E. D. Morcom was re-elected president of the board and Curtis
Beach secretary, and Professor Rowe was ag-ain employed as superin-
tendent and H. J. Davenport as principal of the hig-h school. The
salary of the superintendent was fixed at Sl,()50.

The next election was held on the 16th day of April, 1805, and
when the new members had qualified the board was made up as
follows:

1st ward, S. H. Mag-ner, E. H. Sanford; 2d ward, H. T. Parmley,
E. D. Morcom; 3d ward, D. C. Ricker, T. S. Roberts; 4th ward, J. B.
Watson, Jonah Jones; 5th ward, U. S. G. Cherry, L. A. Perkins;
6th ward, T. J. Bushell, D. R. Howie.

The board orgfanized by re-electing- E. D. Morcom president and
Curtis H. Beach secretary, and then proceeded to consider the ques-
tion of the employment of a superintendent.

At the previous session of the leg-islature a law was passed that
provided for the election of one member of the school board at larg-e,
and Herbert L. Greene was elected, and all the members were pres-



332 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



ent at the meeting-. Upon the question of the employment of Profes-
sor Rowe, the vote stood seven for and six ag-ainst, and while the
majority had the matter in hand, they voted to employ him for two
years at a salary of $1,650. It was a lively meeting-, and althoug-h a
reg-ular adjournment was had, some of the members of the school
board discussed the question upon the following- day, at which time
the atmosphere was so exhilarating- that g-reat warmth of tone and
expression was ind.ulg-ed in. Mark Scott, publisher of the Sioux
Falls Journal, published what purported to be a report of what was
said by the members at the meeting- and upon the street, and was
indicted for libel, tried, convicted and fined $100 for doing- so.

In 1896, the members of the board were as follows: 1st ward,
S. H. Mag-ner, E. H. Sanford; 2d ward, E. D. Morcom, Arthur C.
Phillips; 3d ward, T. S. Roberts, R. G. Parmley; 4th ward, Jonah
Jones, F. A. Pierce; 5th ward, L. A. Perkins, J. B. Peterson; 6th
ward, D. R. Howie, Ed. Tobin; at larg-e, H. I>. Green.

L. A. Perkins was elected president, Arthur C. Philli])s, vice
president, B. H. ReOua, treasurer, C. J. Skinner, clerk. Y". C Mc-
Clelland was employed as superintendent at a salary of $1,400, and
H. J. Davenport as principal of the hig-h school. Ed. Tobin died in
November, 18%.

In 1897, the members of the board were as follows: 1st ward,
S. H. Mag-ner, E. H. Sanford; 2d ward, Arthur C. Phillips, Alex.
Stern; 3d ward, T. S. Roberts, R. G. Parmley; 4th ward, Jonah
Jones, F. A. Pierce; 5th ward, L. A. Perkins, J. B. Peterson; 6th
ward, J. W. Parker, C. G. Hartley; at lar^e, R. J. Wells.

S. H. Mag-ner was elected president, E. H. Sanford, vice presi-
dent, B. H. ReOua, treasurer, C. J. Skinner, clerk. Mr. McClelland
was retained as superintendent, and C. E. Holmes of Howard, S. D.,
was employed as principal of the hig-h school.

In 1898, the members of the board were as follows: 1st ward,
S. H. Mag-ner, E. H. Sanford; 2d ward, Alex. Stern, Charles H.
Mumby; 3d ward, T. S. Roberts, Wm. G. Georg-e; 4th ward, Jonah
Jones, L. F. Brown; 5th ward, L. A. Perkins, J. W. Cone; 6th ward,
J. W. Parker, Johannes Franzen; at larg-e, R. J. Wells.

S. H. Mag-ner was re-elected president, T. S. Roberts was
elected vice president, B. H. ReOua, treasurer, C. J. Skinner, clerk.
Mr. McClelland was retained as superintendent, and C. E. Holmes
as principal of the hig-h school.

In 1899, the members of the board were as follows: 1st ward,
S. H. Mag-ner, E. H. Sanford; 2d ward, Alex. Stern, Charles H.
Mumby; 3d ward, T. S. Roberts, Wm. G. Georg-e; 4th ward, L. F.
Brown, W. A. Griffith; 5th ward, J. W. Cone, O. C. Cadwell; 6th
ward, J. W. Parker, Johannes Franzen; at larg-e. Rev. J. O. Dobson.

S. H. Mag-ner was ag-ain elected president, J. W. Parker, vice
president, B. H. ReOua, treasurer, (t. H. Kiland, clerk, and F. C.
McClelland was retained as superintendent.

According- to the clerk's report of June 30, 1899, the number of
school building's in the city were nine; g-raded schools in the district
forty-eig-ht; total number of departments in same, twelve; schools
having- libraries, three; teachers employed, three male, and forty-six
female teachers; number of pupils enrolled, boys, 975; girls, 1,079.



HISTORY OF MINNP:HAHA COUNTY.



333



CHURCHES.

Calvary Church. — The first church building- erected in Min-
nehaha county was Calvary Church ( EpiscopalJ in 1872. It was lo-
cated on the northwest corner of Main avenue and Ninth street, and
remained there until the summer of 1882.

Work was commenced upon the buildin^- the latter part of Mav,
and it was completed and services held for the first time on Sundav,
Auo-ust 11, 1872. The lumber and other materials used in its con-
struction were purchased from Minneapolis and hauled from Worth-
in o-ton, Minn., by wag-on.

The Rev. W. H. H. Ross was in charg-e of the mission at Sioux
Falls at this time, and as he was the first resident minister, and or-
"•anized the first church societv, and built the first church in Sioux





I




'^ni '■ ,


is i^L


lmiit^»gtj-.''"-'-^'">^q'^.- ■





Episcopal Church.

(First church building.)



Prills, we will insert here a short biog-raphical sketch of this pioneer
minister. He was born in Calhoun county, Michio-an, April 16,1840;
studied for the ministry at Camden, New Jersey, under the tuition
of Bishop Hare, also at Nebraska Colleg-e, and, for a brief time, un-
der the direction of Rev. Dr. Hoyt, at Yankton; was admitted to the
Diaconate by Bishop Clarkson at that place in the spring- of 1871,
and at this time placed in charg-e of the work at Sioux Falls and
towns adjacent. He resided in Sioux Falls three years. In June,
1874, he was ordained to the priesthood at Yankton by Bishop Clark-
son, and the follow ing- month was transferred to the Diocese of Wis-
consin, where he has since remained.

During- the summer of 1882 the lots on which this church was



334 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



situated were sold and the building- remov^ed to the corner of Spring-
avenue and Tenth street, where the parish had purchased four lots
for the church building- and rectory.

In 1886 an addition was made to the church building- for Sundav
school and g-uild purposes. During- the spring- of 1889 the church
building- was taken down, and some of the materials used in the con-
struction of the building-s in connection with the Episcopal cathedral
then being- built on the southeast corner of Main avenue and Thir-
teenth street. During- this time and until Calvary house was readv
for occupancy, the services of the Episcopal church were held at dif-
ferent places, most of the time in the G. A. R. block on Main avenue.
The first service held in Calvary house was on Aug-ust 18, 1889.

The resident rectors of the Episcopal church since the ministra-
tion of the Rev, W. H. Ross have been the Reverends Powler, Hunt-
ing-ton, Berry, McBride, Harris, Gardiner, Wallace, Trimble and
Pisher, respectiveh% in the order named. The Rev. W. W. Powler
came to Sioux Palls immediately upon the departure of Rev. Ross,
and held his first service on July 15, 1874, and preached his farewell
sermon November 7, 1875. The Rev. Hunting-ton (who was a brother
of Bishop Hunting-ton) succeeded Mr. Powler and remained nearly
two years. Then a lay reader by the name of William Pag-e Case
held services in the church for one year; he came to Sioux Palls in
1878, and was ordained deacon in the summer of 1879. Prom the fall
of that year until the spring- of 1880 only occasional services were
held in the church, when the Rev. Thomas B. Berry arrived with his
family and took charg-e of the work. During- the summer of 1881
Mrs. Berry died, and soon after Mr. Berry removed from Sioux
Palls. The next rector was the Rev. James M. McBride, who came
from Hudson, S. D. He held occasional services in the church dur-
ing- the winter of 1881-2, and on the 10th day of April, 1882, a call to
become the rector of the parish was accepted by him. He remained
in charg-e until some time in the early summer of 1884, when he was
succeeded by the Rev. Dr. William J. Harris, who remained one
year, leaving- Sioux Palls on the 17th day of June, 1885. On Sunday,
July 21, 1885, the Rev. Prederick Gardiner held services for the first
time in the Episcopal church, and remained in charg-e four years,
after which the services Mere conducted by Bishop Hare and such
Episcopal ministers as the Bishop called to his aid, until the arrival
of the Rev. Georg-e Wallace on the 18th day of January, 1890. He
preached his first sermon January 26, and remained as pastor of the
parish until June, 1892.

A short time after his departure the Rev. Dr. James Trimble be-
came pastor, and remained until September 1st, 1895. Prom this
time for several weeks the parish was without a pastor, and the pul-
pit was supplied by ministers from adjacent parishes. In the earh'
part of December, 1895, Bishop Hare presented to the vestry of the
parish the name of the Rev. Thomas L. Pisher of Clinton, Massachu-
setts, for pastor. The vestry promptly confirmed his nomination,
and Mr. Pisher immediately came to Sioux Palls to take charg-e of
the parish until the next Easter, when he was to decide whether he
would remain or not. He preached his first sermon in the cathedral



I



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 337



on Sunday, December 22, 1895, and the Easter followintif became the
pastor of the church. He remained in char^jfe until in May, 1899,
when he resigned. He was devoted to his work, and his administra-
tions were not confined to his parishioners. He was greatly beloved
by all ^vho had the pleasure of his acquaintance, and the people of
Sioux Falls deeply regretted his removal to other fields of labor.

In the latter part of December, 1887, Bishop Hare received a
letter from John Jacob Astor of New York City, announcing the
death of his wife a few days previous. In this letter he wrote the
Bishop as follows: "As Mrs. Astor gave so much of her time and
best energies to the country in which you are established as Bishop,
I should like to do something to cause her to be remembered there at
least for a time. Mrs. Astor showed me photographs of, I think,
two chapels and parsonages or rectories, which she had built, and it
occurred to me that a church of a better or more permanent char-
acter than the above would be most useful in some good part of your
diocese. I would propose something suitable, but not so expensive
as to be a burden for its support in a new country, and would ask
vou if S15,000 would secure the land for a suitable edifice and rectory,
and pay for the building and rectory fully equipped as to chancel,
pews or seats, warming apparatus, communion plate, etc., etc., and
organ. Will you please give me your views as to this, and how the
property could be vested so as to protect it."

The terms of Mr. Astor 's proposal left Bishop Hare free to erect
the proposed Memorial Church in any part of South Dakota. A few
weeks after. Bishop Hare visited Mr. Astor and had a conference
\\ ith him, and he consented to increase his gift to S21,000, for a
Cathedral Church, to be erected at Sioux Palls, to be built of stone,
and named Saint Augusta, after his wife, Charlotte Augusta; the
title to he vested in the Board of Trusts of South Dakota, a body in-
corporated and known as "The Chapter of Calvary Cathedral, Sioux
Falls, Dakota." This gift was deposited in a bank in New York
City, to the credit of the Treasurer of Calvary Cathedral, and Bishop
Hare as Bishop and President. Eventually Mr. Astor added two
gifts of S2,500 each to his original donation, to carry out certain plans
which the Bishop presented to him.

The church was built under the supervision of Bishop Hare.
The corner stone was laid with appropriate ceremonies on the 5th
day of December, 1888, and the church was completed during the fall
of 1889, and consecrated on the 18th day of Deceml^er of that year.
September 13, 1890, Bishop Hare transferred the title to the two lots
on which the church was built to the Chapter of Calvary Cathedral.
On the 28th day of February, 1891, in conformity with the provisions
of the deed of September 13, 1890, the Bishop declared the Church
of Saint Augusta to be his Cathedral Church.

First Methodist Episcopal Church. — One of the first church
organizations in the county was the First M. E. church in Sioux
Palls. For the following statement of facts the writer is in a great
measure indebted to an article written by the Rev. Lewis Hartsough
and published in the Sioux Falls Press in 1892, giving its history
down to that time. In 1871 the Rev. Bennett Mitchell, presiding



;38



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



elder of the Sioux City district, eng-ag-ed the services of the Rev.
Thomas Cuthbert, an Eng-lish preacher who had settled east of the
Sioux river, and a Methodist society was formed, and Mr. C. V. Booth
was appointed the first class leader. In 1872-3 the Rev. G. M. Curl
succeeded him. The conference year at this time beg-an in the fall.
In 1873-4, the Rev. J. W. Rig-by was the preacher in charg-e, and he
reported to the annual conference twenty-nine members, and a col-
lection of $300 for salaries of presiding- elder and pastor. The Rev.
G. D. Hook was next pastor, and he reported a membership of
eig-hty-four and a collection of S537 for salaries. The Rev. B. B.
Scott succeeded him, and was the pastor in 1875-6. The Rev. Wil-
liam Fielder was pastor from 1876 to 1879, and during- his pastorate
the church building- standing- on the corner of Main avenue and
Eleventh street was erected. The Rev. S. P. Marsh was pastor
1879-80. In 1880 the Rev. Lewis Hartsoug-h became pastor, and re-
mained in charg-e two years. In 1881 the parsonag-e was built — the
first in the city; and the only church bell in the city for several
years was in the Methodist church. The Rev. A. 'P. Lyon was
pastor in 1882-3; Rev. A. Jamieson, 1884-5; Rev. J. H. Mooers, 1885-6;
Rev. F. M. Robertson, 1886-9. In the fall of 1889 the Rev. L. L.
Hanscom became the pastor, and remained in charg-e for nearly four
years. During- his pastorate a fine church and parsonag-e was erected




First Methodist Episcopal Church.

on the corner of Minnesota avenue and Eleventh street, and the
church was dedicated on Sunday, the 17th day of January. The
services took place in the forenoon, and were participated in by the



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 339



Reverends W. H. Jordan, L. Hartsouo-h, J. P. Jenkins, W. H. Wil-
son, L. L. Hanscom, E. P. Wise and Jesse Cole, who was then Pre-
siding- Elder of the Sheldon district in Iowa, and preached the
sermon on this occasion. A fraternal meeting- was held in the after-
noon in which the Reverends A. K. Fuller, J. N. Hutchinson, and
J. A. Cruzan, pastors of the Baptist, Presbyterian and Cong-reg-a-
tional churches in the city, took part. The lots, church £ind parson-



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 35 of 99)