Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 36 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 36 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ag-e cost upwards of sixteen thousand dollars. The seating- capacity
of the church proper is three hundred, but when the lecture room is
thrown open in connection with it, it seats five hundred. The Rev.
J. O. Dobson succeeded the Rev. Mr. Hanscom in October, 1893, and
remained in charg-e two years, when he was appointed Presiding-
Elder of the Sioux Palls district, and the Rev. W. H. Jordan became,
and still remains, the pastor of the church. The church was fortu-
nate in securing- as pastors during- the last five years the Reverends
Dobson and Jordan, who have contributed not a little to the flattering-
reputation the clerg-y of Sioux Palls has justly earned, as earnest,
fearless, and able ministers of the g-ospel. The church is in a pros-
perous condition, and is one of the strong-est in the city. It has a
large Sunda}' school, and several other org-anizations connected with
it; the Epworth Leag-ue, Junior Leag-ue, Ladies' xVid Society, Ladies'
Bible Club, Women's Poreig-n Missionary Society, Mercy Help
Workers, and Veterans' Class.

Free Methodist Church. — The Free Methodist church of
Sioux Falls, was org-anized November 11,1878, by S. P. La Due, with
nine charter members, as follows: F. H. Warren, E. E. Warren,
Geo. Hyde, H. Van De Mark, E. Brown, I. P. Ulrich, A. W. Hayes,
Mary L. Hayes and Mrs. S. A. Kimball. Services w^ere held for
about six months in the school house on First avenue and Twelfth
street. In May, 1879, a small frame church building- was erected on
P'^irst avenue, between Eleventh and Twelfth streets. In January,
1884, a more commodious church building- w^as erected on the corner
Fourth avenue and Fourteenth street, at a cost of SI, 600. 00. This is
the building- now occupied by the society, and will seat 200 people.

The present membership numbers twenty, and services are held
regularly. Rev. H. L. Torrey, the present pastor, officiating-. There
is also a Sunday school, w^hich meets reg-ularly.

Jordan Methodist Church. — This young- and g-rowing- society
had a very humble beg-inning-. On the 9th day of November, 1890,
Rev. J. P. Jenkins, city missionary, held service in an old building-,
know'n as Durg-en's store, on Fifth street, on the East side. From
that time on reg-ular Sunday services were held in that place a little
over a year. December 27, 1890, a society of sixteen members was
org-anized, and an eig-ht weeks revival meeting- follow^ed, resulting- in
thirty conversions and reclamations, and nearly that number of ac-
cessions to the society by letter and on probation. In the early
spring- following-, steps were taking- toward building- a house of wor-
ship. In March two lots were purchased on the corner of Emerson
street and Melrose avenue, a plan for a church selected and subscrip-
tion papers circulated with encouraging- results. Soon after the
ground was broken and work commenced. Much of the labor was



340 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



donated, and for this reason and on account of delays with the Church
Extension society, from which valuable assistance was received, the
work prog-ressed very slowly. The church was completed and dedi-
cated December 6, 1891, the Rev. Lewis Curts, D. D.,of Chicag-o con-
ducting- the services. The entire local indebtedness upon the prop-
erty was provided for, larg-ely by subscription. The Rev. J. P.
Jenkins was the first pastor, and the church prospered under his
charg-e. During- 1894 the Rev. Nathan Fawell became its pastor and
g-reatly endeared himself to his parishioners by his faithful and effi-
cient work. In October, 1896, he was transferred to Hot Spring-s,
South Dakota, where he died the 11th day of February, 1897. The
next pastors were the Rev. G. F. Notson and the Rev. H. W. Brown,
and the present pastor is the Rev. W. B. Stewart. The church
building- is a very handsome and appropriate structure, and has a
fine location. There is a g-ood congreg-ation and a flourishing- Sun-
day school connected with the church.

Scandinavian Methodist Episcopal Church. — This church
was org-anized in 1897, by four Scandinavian families residing- in the
city of Sioux Falls, and some families residing- in Lincoln county.
The services are held in the basement of the Unitarian church build-
ing- every other Sundav, and the present membership is twelve.
The Rev. Andrew W. Rosness has supplied the pulpit, in connection
with his charg-e in Minnesota, since the fall of 1897, and there is the
usual Ladies' Societv in aid of the church work.

Congregational Church. — Althoug-h there were occasional
services held by Cong-reg-ational ministers who visited Sioux Falls
during- the years 1870 and 1871, there was no attempt made to org-an-
ize a society until 1872. The following- are the names of some of the
ministers who officiated during- the vears preceding- the org-anization.
Rev. Jos. Ward, D. D., of Yankton;Rev. J. E. Roy, D. D., of Chicag-o,
field superintendent of the American Home Missionary Societv;
Rev. A. L. Rig-g-s, D. D., and Rev. Dr. Williamson, missionaries to
the Sioux Indians.

In April, 1872, the American Home Missionary Society sent Rev.
J. A. Palmer of Gridley, 111., to Sioux Falls, and as the result of his
labors on the 7th day of July of that year the First Cong-reg-ational
Church was org-anized with the following- charter members: Messrs.
E. O. Cadwell, Artemas Gale, O. O. Holman, H. W. Lewis, Ira
Mason, M. C. Prescott, Wm. Robertson, Mrs. H. C. Phillips and
Mrs. N. Prescott, At a subsequent meeting- the following- officers
were elected: Deacon, Wm. Robertson; clerk, H. W. Lewis; trus-
tees, Messrs. J. L. Phillips, Artemas Gale and O. Q. Holman; treas-
urer. Dr. J. L. Phillips.

On Sunday July 28, 1872, a sermon was preached by Rev. J. E.
Roy, D. D., a Cong-reg-ational minister from Chicag-o, in Dr. J. L.
Phillips' house. In October of the same year, the church was received
into the fellowship of the Cong-reg-ational churches, and was repre-
sented in the General Association of Dakota, which met that year at
Vermillion.

During- the first two 3'ears of its existence, there were only five
additions to the membership of the church. November 15th, 1873,



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



341



the Sunday school was org-anized, with E. A. Sherman as superin-
tendent. During- the same month Mrs. J. L. Phillips, Mrs. C. J.
Skinner and Mrs. E. A. Sherman were appointed a music com-
mittee, and the first choir was organized.

Mr. Palmer remained in Sioux Palls three years, closing- his
pastorate April 1st, 1875. October 30, 1875, Rev. A. D. Adams was
installed as pastor and remained until September, 1877, when he
tendered his resig-nation, which the church declined to accept. In
Aug-ust, 1878, the resig-nation was renewed and accepted and in the
December following- Rev. J. N. McLoney of Sioux City was called to
the pastorate. Mr. McLoney remained five vears, and the church
prospered under his ministry, 26 members being- added during- the
first year. He died March 18th, 1884, after a ling-ering- illness "leav-
ing- the church to mourn the loss of a true and tried friend, one who
by his quiet and loving- ways and Christian character and conversation,
endeared all hearts to himself." During- his illness Rev. A. P. Lvons
of Rock Rapids, a Methodist minister, supplied the pulpit.




Interior Congregational Church.



In 1873, Messrs. Phillips and Gale offered to gfive lots for a site
and an effort was made to raise funds for a church building-, but was
unsuccessful. Service had been held first in Dr. Phillips' home, then
in various rooms in the barracks, occasionally at the house of C. G.
Coats, next for a time in Allen's hall, on the corner of Phillips
avenue and 8th street, then in Eib1)v's hall, corner of Main avenue



342 HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



and 7th street, and finally in Phillips' hall on Phillips avenue be-
tween Eig-hth and Ninth streets, where they were being- held in 1879,
when a successful effort was made to erect a church building-. The
present site was secured, one lot being- the g-ift of Dr. J. L. Phillips,
one the g-ift of Artemas Gale, the third one being- purchased for
S225. February 28, 1879, a building- committee was appointed,
consisting- of Messrs. E. A. Sherman, J. B. Young-, L. King'sburv,
R. J. Wells and T. G. Brown. During- the following- summer, the
building- was erected at a cost of $2,300, and was dedicated in Sep-
tember, 1879, by Rev. James W. Strong-, D. D., president of Carleton
CoUeg-e, Northfield, Minnesota. The church was incorporated under
the laws of the Territory of Dakota March 6, 1879.

In 1883, the building- was enlarg-ed by an addition at the west end,
which increased the seating- capacity nearly one-half. Later the
present vestibule was added.

After Mr. McLoney's death, in accordance with a wish expressed
by him. Rev. P. E. Holp of Planking'-ton, was called and entered upon
the pastorate June 22, 1884.

Mr. Holp remained four years and four months, resig-ning- October
1st, 1888, and for two years afterwards the church was without a
pastor. Calls were extended to several different ministers, but for
various reasons neg-otiations proved unsuccessful, until in March
1890, correspondence was opened with Rev. J. A. Cruzan of San
Francisco, which resulted in his acceptance and on May 25th, 1890,
he preached his inaug-ural sermon.

During- the two years intervening- Mr. Holp's and Mr. Cruzan's
pastorates the pipe org-an now in use was purchased at a cost of
$2,250. Messrs. R. J. Wells and H. L. Hollister were instrumental
in securing- it and it was set up and readv for use in January, 1889,
and was the first pipe org-an in Sioux Falls.

The g-eneral association of the Cong-reg-ational churches held its
annual meeting- with this church in 1877, 1880, 1887 and 1890.

Mr. Cruzan remained pastor of the church until Aug-ust 1, 1892,
when he left for St. Louis, where he remained a short time, and then
accepted a call as pastor of a larg-e church at Santa Cruz, California.
While he was here the church was prosperous.

On the 6th day of November, 1892, the Rev. D. B. Scott, who had
just arrived from Massachusetts, preached his first sermon as pastor
of the Cong-reg-ational church, having- accepted a call September 1.
He is the pastor of the church at the present time, and under his
efficient ministerial administration the church is prospering- and is
one of the strong-est in the city. His installation as pastor took
place December 22, 1896.

The Ladies' Aid society was org-anized in 1873, and in 1888, hav-
ing- money on hand to loan, was duly incorporated. It has a mem-
bership of thirty, and is in a flourishing- condition financially.

The Woman's Missionary society, after two unsuccessful at-
tempts, was finally org-anized in 1880, and is doing- effective work,
with a membership of seventy.

The King-'s Daug-hters was org-anized September 25, 1886, with
twenty-seven members at the present time.



History of JminnehaHa county.



343



The Lampliiifhters oro-anized in 1885, and the Young- People's
society org-ani/ed in 1888, have merg-ed into one society and has a
membership of seventy-six; the junior branch numbering- thirtv-six
and the senior branch forty members, and is called the Young- Peo-
])le's society.

The membership of the church is 2b7, and the a\erag-e attend-
ance upon public worship about 200.

(tErman Con(;regational Emanuel Church.- This church
was org-ani/ed on the 9t]i day of June, 1888, During- the year follow-
ing a church building- and parsonage were erected on the east side of
Walts avenue, between 10th and 11th streets, the former at a cost of











1^




.^^^^^^V^^


■^K W ^^I^^^^A^I


r\




I!

13L


lM


^■fluHB^fl



German Congregational Emanuel Church.



SI, 800, and the latter at a cost of SI, 200, which has been all paid by
the members of the cong-reg-ation. Services are held every Sunday,
with an averag-e attendance of fifty, and the present pastor is the
Rev. John Lich. The membership is thirty-six. There is also a
flourishing- Sunday school, with an averag-e attendance of forty-five.

First Baptist Church. — On Sunday, June 20, 1875, Baptist
services were held morning- and evening- in Allen's hall in Sioux
Falls. After the morning- service a few remained to consider the
question of forming- a Baptist church. On the 4th day of July, 1875,
an org-anization was perfected with ten members. At this meeting-
the Rev. A. W. Hilton was chosen moderator, M. T. Hog-aboom cor-
responding" secretary and B. F. Roderick clerk.

The Rev. A. W. Hilton was the first pastor of the church and
remained as such until Aug-ust 1, 1878, when he resig-ned and moved



344



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



to Turner county, and died at Parker, S. D., on the 19th da}' of Sep-
tember, 1882. He was an energ-etic, faithful minister.

M. T. Hog-aboom was elected deacon on the 28th day of January,
1877. M. W. Boulet was chosen deacon on the 6th day of October,
1877, and Mrs. Boulet and Mrs. P. P. Dobson were chosen deacon-
esses at the same time.

On the 29th day of September, 1878, the Rev. Homer E. Norton
became pastor of the church, and so remained until he resigned
October 1, 1881.

During- the summer of 1882, the society built a church on the
corner of Eig-hth street and Dakota avenue, at a cost of about S8,000,
and it was dedicated on the 1st day of November, 1882, without a
dollar of indebtedness remaining-. This was the seventh church
buildino- erected in Sioux Palls.




PiRST Baptist Church.



During the year 1882, A. M. Bowen was chosen deacon to fill
vacancy caused by the death of Deacon Boulet.

The Rev. E. B. Meredith became pastor of the church in Decem-
ber, 1882, and so remained until his resignation July 8, 1886. The
Rev. E. N. Harris became its pastor on the 1st day of August, 1886,
and resigned on the 8th day of August, 1888. Hevvas succeeded bv



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 345



the Rev. A. K. Fuller, who commenced his labors on the 1st day of
September, 1889, and resigned on the 1st day of October, 1892. He
was very popular with the people of Sioux Palls, and the church
prospered under his ministration. The next pastor was the Rev.
W. H. Stifler, who was settled as pastor on the 7th day of December,
1892, and remained as such until his decease Aug-ust 8, 1895. The
Rev. Dr. Stifler was a very able man, an excellent pastor, and exceed-
ing-ly popular throug-hout the city. After his decease the Rev. Dr.
Dixon supplied the pulpit for a few months with g'reat ability, and he
was well liked by his cong-reofation. In Augfust, 1896, the Rev. Dr.
A. B. McCurdy accepted a call from the church to become its pastor,
and on Aug-ust 30, he preached his first sermon. He was succeeded
by the Rev. Bruce Kinney in July, 1897, who remained in charg-e
until June, 1898, when, owing- to the declining- health of his wife, he
removed to New^ Mexico. The church was then without a pastor
until September following-, when the present pastor, the Rev. E. H.
Lovett accepted a call from the church. However, he did not begfin
his pastorate until December 15, 1898, and preached his first sermon
as pastor of the church December 18, following-. There is no churcli
in the city that has been more fortunate in the ability and character
of its pastors, and under their ministrations it has become one of the
strong-est churches in the citv. The membership of the church is
about two hundred and thirty-five. It supports five Sunday schools,
and has connected with it several societies in aid of the main work of
the church.

Swedish Baptist Church. — This church was org-anized May 15,
1883, by Revs. Prank Peterson and C. J. Johnson, with eig-ht con-
stituent members. In 1884 a church building- was erected on Main
avenue, between Pourteenth and Pifteenth streets, at a cost of about
$2,700, including- all the church property, with a seating- capacity
of two hundred, and was dedicated December 21, of that year. Rev.
C. J. Johnson became the first pastor of the church, and remained
until January, 1885. The Revs. A. B. Nordberg-, J. P. Berlin,
A. W. Peterson and L. J. Olsen have been pastors of this church.
The Rev. Jacob Olsen has g-reatly assisted the church when without
a reg-ular pastor. Since the org-anization of the church there has
been one hundred and forty-nine members, of which seventy-one were
received by baptism. The present membership is fifty-seven. There
is also the usual Ladies' Aid society, and quite a larg-e Sunday
school connected with the church.

Pree Will Baptist Church. — In the summer of 1883 a meet-
ing- was called to consider the advisability of organizing- a Pree Will
Baptist church in Sioux Palls. At this meeting- Joel W. I^arker and
Mrs. Mary H. Darling- were requested to attend the g-eneral confer-
ence of Pree Will Baptists, which was to be held in Minneapolis in
October of that year, and present the matter of the org-anization of a
church in Sioux Palls to that body. As a result of this action the
conference authorized the Rev. A. A. Smith to org-anize a church,
and he came to Sioux Palls in January, 1884, for that purpose. After
spending- Sunday in the city, he requested all persons interested
in the org-anization of a Pree Will Baptist church to meet at the home



346 HISTORY OF MlNNEttAtlA COUNtV.



of Mrs. G.W. Mathews on Monday evening- January, 28. At this meet-
ing-Joel W. Parker, Mrs. Mary H. Darling-, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Leav-
itt, Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Mathews, Miss Laura Darling- and Charles
H. Bancroft were present, and a church was organized. Among the
members enrolled at that time were also the Rev. and Mrs. J. G.
Hull, his health being- such as to prevent their being present. He
died on the 29th day of February following-, and his son, the Rev. J.
J. Hull, having come to the city to attend the funeral, was engaged
as the first pastor of the church. He removed to Sioux Palls the
following- Mav,and remained until April, 1886, when he was succeeded
bv Rev. J. H. Walroth, who remained until December, 1886. The next
settled pastor of the church was the Rev. David Powell, who had
charg-e of the church from March, 1888, until May, 1889. In April,
1890, the Rev. J. J. Hull again became pastor of the church and
remained until June, 1893. The next pastor was the Rev. S. R.
Toothacre, who remained about six months. Following- him w-as the
Rev. Everett Lesher, who remained one year, and then went to the
Cobb Divinity School at Lewiston, Maine.

During the month of October, 1885, a foundation for a church
was laid at the corner of Minnesota avenue and Fourteenth street,
but the church was not built and furnished until 1887. The Rev. J.
H. Darling from Michig-an came to Sioux Palls that year and remained
three months during- which time he supplied the pulpit and superin-
tended the work upon the church. He was succeeded by the Rev.
C. E. Blake from New Hamshire, in the pulpit as well as looking-
after the work of completing- and furnishing the church. To these
two men the society is g'reatly indebted, for it was in a g-reat meas-
ure through their untiring effort that the erection of the church was
accomplished, and enabled its members ever since to meet in a com-
modious and well furnished church of their own. A comfortable
parsonage occupies the lot adjoining- the church, and the cost of the
whole property amounts to about S7,000. A Sunday school was
organized in the summer of 1884-, and Georg-e W. Mathews was its
first superintendent. A Ladies Aid society was org-anized January
30, 1884, which aided largelv in the financial success of the church.

The first officers of this society were Mrs. A. J. Rowland presi-
dent, Mrs. G. W. Mathews secretary and Mrs. L. R. Ross treasurer.
A Woman's Missionary society was also org-anized in the fall of 1884
by the members of this church. After being- without a pastor for
several years, the Rev. L. G. Lowell of Franklin Falls, N. H., was
secured to take charge of the church. He arrived in Sioux Palls
November 24, 1898, and preached his first sermon the following- sun-
day. The society has kept up its organization and held reg-ular
services under adverse circumstances.

St. Michael's Pro-Cathedral. — In October, 1873, the Rev. P.
S. Bedard, a Roman Catholic priest, visited Sioux Palls for the pur-
pose of organizing a church and erecting- a church building-, but as
there were only a few Catholic families there at that time no attempt
to build was made, and his visit was of short duration. During the
next three 3'ears Sioux Palls was visited occasionally by a Catholic
priest, but not until 1877 were regular sei vices established. During



HISTORY OF xMlNNEJHAHA OOUNTV,



34:



that year the Rev. C. J. Knauf of Adrain, Minnesota, held services
in Sioux Falls once a month. He is undoubtedlv the first priest who
said Mass in the county. Services were at first' held in the Commer-
cial hotel, and then at the residence of Peter (yilman, and hnally in
VanEps' hall. In 1879, the Rev. William M. Maher came to Sioux
Palls, directly from the seminary in which he had been studying-,
and took charo-e of the church work. He was an industrious church-
worker, and soon had a small church huildino- erected on lots pur-
chased by Michael Gerin. However, it had been occupied less than
two vears when it was destroyed by fire. The society was aoain
w ithout a house of worship, but at once set about to build a commo-
dious brick church. This building- (thejpresent structure) was so




St. Michael's Pro-Cathedral.



far completed that services were held in it for the first time the lat-
ter part of Aug-ust, 1882, but was not consecrated until Augfust 5,
1883. Father Maher was in charge of the parish until 1888, and dur-
ing- his pastorate the church prospered. The Rev. L. A. Ricklin
succeeded Father Maher, and was pastor until November, 1891.
During- the time he was in charg-e of the church, St. Rose Academy
was built. This school was for the education of young- ladies, and
was in charg-e of three Ursuline Sisters, and when opened its patron-
age w^as quite larg-e. A parochial school for both g-irls and bovs was
also taug-ht in this building- several terms. In November, 189], the
Rev. George Sheehan became pastor of the church, and remained in



348 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



charg-e until April, 1893, when the Rev. Wm. V. Nolan, the present
pastor, succeeded him. Under Father Nolan's charg-e the church
has prospered, and there are now about one thousand members.
There is a Sunday school connected wnth the church, and in aid of
the church work are several flourishing- societies, among- them the
League of the Sacred Heart, and the Young- People's Sodality. It
only remains to add that the seating- capacity of the church bviilding-
is about six hundred, and that it is none too larg-e to accommodate
the g-reat number of people who ordinarily attend.

German Evangelical Lutheran Zion's Church. — Up to
about 1880 there were few Germans in the City of Sioux Palls, but
since that time they have become quite numerous. The first Ger-
man Lutheran minister coming- to the city was Rev. J. Doescher, who
came from Yankton in 1876, and remained until 1877, when the Rev.
G. E. Friederich succeeded him for one year. These two did little
if any ministerial work in the city. Next came the Rev. E. F. Mel-
cher, who resided at Centerville and only made occasional visits to
Sioux Falls until September, 1879, when he was succeeded by the
Rev. A. Mueller until 1881. Up to that time there had been little
prospect of a successful org-anization by reason of a scarcity of Ger-
mans in this locality. In 1882, the Rev. E. G. Starck became pastor
of the Lutheran Trinity church of Wall Lake township. He com-
menced holding- reg-ular services in the city every other Sunday, and
in g-eneral performing- all the duties of a Lutheran minister. Not
having- a church of their ow'n, they first used the Swedish Lutheran
church on Sixth street, then the old Episcopal church. The Rev. E.
G. Starck worked faithfully until 1889, the Germans becoming- more
numerous from year to year, quite a larg-e number attending- the serv-
ices. During- all these years, however, no cong-reg-ation was org-an-
ized. There w^as a strong- factional feeling- prevailing- among- the
German Lutherans, wdiich in the course of time led to the org-aniza-
tion of the German Evang-elical Emanuel cong-reg-ation, the orig-ina-
tors being- strongh' opposed to Rev. Starck for several causes, one
being- the secret lodge question. Rev. Starck refusing to admit any
person belonging to a secret lodge into his church. He, however,



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 36 of 99)