Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 39 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 39 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Minnehaha Teacher.— Under the efficient editorial control of
C. F. Bower, the Minnehaha Teacher is published by the Minnehaha
Teacher's Association. It was started in 1888, in the interest of the
teachers of the county, and although the charge of its editorial col-
umns has been transferred from each county superintendent to his
successor, it has maintained a high standard of excellence.

Sioux Falls Daily Call.— On Saturday, the 7th day of Sep-
tember, 1889, the Daily Call made its first appearance in Sioux Falls.
It was edited by E. C. Johnson, and the public was informed that it
started out with a larger circulation in the city than any other paper,
as it was going into nearly every family in the city, and persons re-
ceiving it "need not fear to accept the paper as it had been paid for."
It was a prohibition paper; in fact, it was the prohibition issue that
was before the people at that time, which brought it into existence.
It was conducted during the campaign of 1889, by Mr. Johnson, and
when the campaign was over, on the 7th day of November, the Daily
Call was one of the by-gones.

South Dakota State Forum, was established by the late Hon.
Robert Buchanan, and was first published on the 5th day of October,
1893, in a building erected bv himself for that purpose in the city of
Sioux Falls. It was Populist in politics; and no paper of that party
was more ablv edited than the Forum. During the political cam-



3(,(, HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



,,ii.rn (.f 1S')4, a daily issue of thti same was published. Mr Bu-
chanan died ..n the 22d day of June, 1895, and the publication of the
Forum was c.ntinued by-his sons, Fredencl. and Ce>4on W., and
under their mana^-ement the name was chan^jfed to Sioux^ alls i^ orum.
The hrmc.f Buchanan Bros., in connection with the Forum plant,
established the first patent auxiliary house in Sioux Falls for fur-
nishincr ready prints. In July, 18%, they sold their interest in this
branch of the business to the South Dakota Newspaper Union ol
Vberdeen, and this concern chancred its business location to Sioux
Falls on the 18th of that month. During- the latter part of July, Bu-
chanan Bros., sold the Forum to H. H. Schwartz and Georo-e
(iritrsby, and this firm published the paper until November follow-
inir,'"when the Forum ag-ain chang-ed hands, O. E. Bowman of Mont-
rose becoming- the purchaser. Mr. Bowman published the Forum
until July K), 18*)7, when it passed into the hands of H. C. Sessions
cS: 'Son. The Forum under the manag-ement of Mr. Bowman was
])oi)ulist in politics and of the middle-of-the-road type. H. C. Ses-
sions, one of the present proprietors, has been favorably known in
newspaper circles as the editor of the Dakota Visitor, the official
org-an of the A. O. U. W. lodg-e. The Forum under the present
manag-ement meets the appreciation of its readers, and sustains its
well-earned reputation as a good newspaper.

South Dakota Rp:cord. — In March, 1893, the South Dakota
Kecord was established by W. F. Bellrood. In April, 1894, it was
consolidated with the Western Investor and edited by Bellrood and
J. C. McManima. During- the fall of that year Mr. McManima sold
his interest to Mr. Bellrood who continued the publication of the
paper until he removed from Sioux Falls in 1897. It was published
monthly and devoted to the promotion of real estate transactions in
its immediate locality.

Fkkmai).— This newspaper was established by the Fremad Pub-
lishing Company at Sioux Falls in May, 1894, and its first issue was
on the 17th of that month. The company was composed principally
of farmers residing^ in the county, or, in other words, they gfuaran-
teed the enter])rise under the manag-ement of John F. Strass. It is
Populist in politics, and is a political newspaper, edited and published
by Mr. Strass. Since its first issue the paper has doubled in size,
and Mr. Strass no longer needs any one to guarantee the success of
the enterprise. It is printed in the Norwegian and English lan-
guages, and those who are best (qualified to judge of its merits assert
that it is one of the ablest middle-of-the-road Populist newspapers
in the st.'ite

Thk Src-CESSFiiL Farmer is a monthly farm newspaper, and
was established by J. A. Lucas at Watertown, S. D., in January,
1893. In 1895, when Mr. Lucas removed to Sioux Falls, he brought
the newspaper plant with him and continued to publish the Success-
ful Farmer at this ])lace until he sold it to Hial P. Robie in October,
189(>, since which time Mr. Robie has been its editor and publisher.
It has a very large list of subscribers, and circulates extensively
among the farmers in South Dakota.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 3()/



Dakota Field and Fakm.- The lirst publication of this ionnial
was at the city of Sioux Falls on the 15th day of April, 18<)(). We
have this issue before us, and its editor, P. L. Axlint»- assured its
subscribers that it would be a journal of practical agriculture, and
that all lono-\vinded, theoretical articles would be discarded. An-
other thin«>- which the editor proposed to do was to classify its mat-
ter into proper departments, so that the reader could readily find
what he wanted. It was a four-column, eigdit-pao-e paper, and durin<^
its existence was well conducted. October 1, 18')8, the Dakota Field
and Farm was made the official paper of the State Board of A<>-ricul-
ture. The November following- Mr. Axling- sold his paper to W. F. T.
Bushnell of Aberdeen and it was merg-ed into the Dakota Farmer.

The Gatling Gun. — The first issue of the Gatling- Gun made
its appearance in February, 18%. It was published monthly under
the direction of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union of Sioux
Falls, and Mrs. M. J. Bag-ley had editorial charg-e until January,
1897, when she was succeeded by Mrs. Rena E. Bowers. It was a
straig-ht-out prohibition paper, and was radically opposed to any
compromise on the liquor question, in short, advocated the annihila-
tion of the liquor traffic. Mrs. Otto H. Bleifuss was the last one to
have editorial charg-e of the paper under its first name. About six
months ag-o Mr. E. Hanson took charg-e of the paper, and it is now
published b\' him under the name of the Christian Prohibitionist.

Syd Dakota Ekko is a w-eekly newspaper published at Sioux
Falls by the Scandinavian Publishing- Company of South Dakota. It
is printed in the Norweg-ian lang-uag"e, and was started at Brooking-s,
S. D., the first week in Aug-ust, 1889, with S. O. Nordvold as editor.
He remained in editorial charg-e until 1890, when (t. Bie Kavndal was
employed to take charg-e of this department. The plant was removed
to Sioux Falls February 1, 1891, and since that time the paj)er has
been published at this place. Mr. Ravndal remained its editor until
he was appointed United States consul, and removed to Beirut, Syria,
in February, 1898, when he was succeeded by the present editor, ().
C. Stewart. The Ekko has a g-ood list of subscribers, and is ac-
knowledg-ed to be the leading- Scandinavian newspaper in the state.
In politics it is Republican, and has contributed largely to the suc-
cess of this party.

The Commercial News. — In January, 189*), E. J. Mannix com-
menced the publication of the News. It is a monthly and devoted to
the interests of the Wholesaler, Retailer and the Commercial Trav-
eler. It has a long- list of advertisements, and a g-ood circulation.

Several other publications than those noticed have appeared from
time to time, but they were devoted to special work like some of
those mentioned, and could not be strictly termed newspapers, and
most of them have passed into history after having- served the pur-
pose for which they were established.



I



2(,g HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



BANKS.

Tlu- tirsl lank established in Sioux Falls commenced business
in W. S. Kimball's hardware store on Phillips avenue on the lOth
(lav of October, 1873. It was opened by E. E. Otis, who continued
in business a few months only and then removed to St. Helena, Ne-
braska, and entered the leg-al profession.

Bank for Savings. — This bank was established by J. D.JZ^ame-
ron and was opened for business on the 5th day of June, 1874. It
was located on Phillips avenue "in a building erected for Mr. Came-
r<»n." The same month F. R. Crandall of Iowa came to Sioux Falls
and started the Minnehaha County Bank, but sold it to J. D. Cameron
on the first dav of July following-, and returned to low^a. The Bank
f(»r Saving-s was run by Mr. Cameron for nearly two years, w^hen he
droi)i)ed bankintr and en«-ag-ed in the real estate business. A pecu-
liar incident in connection with this bank happened in the latter part
of September, 1874, when Mr. Cameron was suddenly taken sick with
cerebro spinal mening-itis, and his faculties of speech and hearing-
were suspended for nine days. This pratically suspended the oper-
ation of the bank the same length of time, but it is reported that it
was the bank that was ill, and that the symptoms of the disease w^ere
manifested through Mr. Cameron.

SioiTX Falls Bank. — The Sioux Falls Bank was established in
in August, 1886, by J. B. Young. The following June, Harry L. Hol-
lister jnirchased an interest in the bank and became its cashier.
The bank was better known as J. B. Young & Co., than by its real
name. In April, 1880, Young and Hollister, together with several
(»thers whom they interested in the project, organized the First Na-
tional Bank, which took the place of the Sioux Falls Bank. While in
existence it did a successful business.

Citizens Bank.— The Citizens Bank was established in Sioux
Falls in September, 1878, by Robert Nation, w^ho remained in charge
until February, 1881, when he sold out to H. S. Hills and E. P.
Beebe. The bank was located on the southeast corner of Phillips
avenue and Tenth street, and was conducted by the tw^o last named
gentlemen until the death of Mr. Hills, which occurred on the 19th
day of October, 1886. During 1886 the bank was reorganized and
became the Citizens National Bank. Mr. Beebe president and
E. M. Hills (-d. son of H. S. Hills) cashier had the affairs of the bank
in charge until it was consolidated with the Minnehaha National
Bank in April, 1888, at which time it surrendered its charter.

The First National Bank.— The first National Bank was
organized about April 1, 1880, with a capital stock of $50,000. The
stockholders were Harrv Hollister, J. B. Young, R. F. Pettigrew,
J. Schaetzel, Jr., C. K. Howard, N. E. Phillips, C. F. Webber and
Cyrus Walts. Hollister and Young owned S3(C000 of the stock. J.
B. \oung was its first president, and Harrv Hollister was cashier
until 1884, when he retired from the bank and became president of
the Insurance Company of Dakota. Mr. Young remained with the
hank until 188(., when he sold out and went to California. R. J.



HISTORY OP" minn?:haha county. 3()')



Wells succeeded Mr. Youno- as president. The banlv soon became
involved in litiofation owing- to an act of its cashier, W. F. Furbeck, in
issuing- a cashiers check which the bank refused to pav, resulting- in
an attachment of the assets of the bank and the appointment of a re-
ceiver, who took charg-e of the bank in March, 1(S8(), and settled u]) its
affairs.

Easton, McKinney & Scojgal Bank. —A bank was esta.blished
in Sioux Falls by C. F. Easton, C. E. McKinney and Geo. Scougal in
November, 1880. In 1881 Easton sold out his interest, and the bank
continued in business under the manag-ement of C. E. McKinney
until it was superseded bv the Sioux Falls National l^ank in Nov^em-
ber, 1882.

Sioux Falls National Bank. — This bank was org-anized No-
vember 11, 1882, with a capital stock of S50,0()0. The directors at
the time of its org-anization were C. E. McKinney, Wm. VanEps, C.
L. Norton, John" McClellan, A. C. Phillips, Wl W. Brookings and
John W. Tuthill. C. E. McKinney was elected president and C. L.
Norton cashier, and by re-elections hold the same positions at the
present time. In 1883, the capital stock was increased to $1()0,0(M).
It is a strong- bank, has been ably manag-ed,and has the confidence of
the people. The directors at the present time are C. E. McKinnev,
C. L. Norton, D. L. McKinney, S. E. Blauvelt, Moriz Leving-er, S.
A. Brown, and H. C. Fenn. D. L. McKinney is vice president, and
H. C. Fenn assistant cashier.

Dakota National Bank of Sioux Falls. — This bank was
org-anized on the 31st day of October, 1882, with a capital stock <>i
S50,000. The first directors were Melvin (irig-sby, P. P. Peck,
Cyrus Walts, W. H. Corson, Artemus Gale, T. H. Brown and Frank
Kunerth. M. Grig-sby was elected president, W. H. Corson vice
president and T. H. Brown cashier. When it commenced doing- busi-
ness Porter P. Peck was elected cashier and held this position until
C. C. Carpenter was elected in January, 1885, who remained as cash-
ier of the bank until his decease March 1(), 1895. Georg-e H. Brace
succeeded Mr. Grig-sby as president and remained as such during-
the existence of the bank.

The manag-ement of the Dakota National had always been con-
sidered conservative, and it had the confidence of the public. It was
therefore a g-reat surprise when on Saturday evening-, November 21,
1896, it was learned that the bank would not open its doors for busi-
ness the following- Monday. A national bank examiner immediately
took possession of the bank, and on the 20th day of January, 1897, C.
F. Zimmerman was appointed receiver. The assets were larg-e, but
owing- to the hard times, it was impossible to realize upon them,
and for this reason the bank was compelled to close its doors.

Minnehaha National Bank of Sioux Falls. — In July, 1885,
E. A. Sherman interested himself in org-anizing- the Minnehaha Na-
tional Bank, and after securing- the necessary capital of S50,000 and
complying- with the national banking- laws, the comptroller of the
currency authorized the bank to commence business on the 8th day
of Aug-ust, 1885. The directors named in the articles of association

24



370 PISTOKY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



were K. A. Sherman, H. C. Copeland, L. P. Davis, W. A. Noble, A.
Beveridtre, E. E. Sava«-e, L. D. Henrv, R. G. Parmley, C. S. Palmer,
(). H. Smith and Cvr us Walts. E. A. Sherman was elected pres-
ident, and G. E. Lathrop cashier. The bank commenced business
on the west side of Main avenue south of Ninth street. Mr. Lathrop
was cashier until Januarv 11, 1887, when C. E. Johnson was elected
and held this position until April 21, 1888. At the last mentioned
date the Citizens National Bank was merg-ed with the Minnehaha
National bank. Mr. Sherman resig-ned as president and J. M.
Bailev, Jr., was elected in his place, and E. M. Hills, the former
cashier of the citizens National bank, was elected cashier. At this
time the capital stock was increased to Sl50,000, but has since been
reduced to S100,(X)(). July 1, 1889, it was desig-nated as depository
for the United States funds. On the 29th day of April, 1889, W. L.
Baker was elected cashier, which position he has held since then.
At the annual election of officers in January, 1892, Porter P. Peck
was elected president and remained its president until the summer
(.f 18*)8 when he resigned, and Dr. Wm. S. Caldwell of Freeport, 111.,
was elected and holds this office at the present time. It is a strong-
financial institution.

Siocx Falls Savings Bank. — In 1886 the present cashier of
the Sioux Falls Saving-s bank came to Sioux Falls, and after having-
looked over the situation concluded that a saving-s bank would be a
good thing for those who should org-anize such an institution, and
would also be of g-ood service to the public. In October of that year
he broached the subject to Wm. Van Eps, and he was so much
])leased with the idea that papers for its incorporation went out by
the next mail to the secretary of the Territory, and on the 10th day
of January, 1887, the Sioux Falls Saving's Bank opened it doors for
business. The first directors were William Van Eps, Marcus Rus-
sell, J. T. (Gilbert, John McClellan and Joseph A. Ward. Mr. Van
i'yps was elected president, and remained as such until January,
l-^''7. when J. W Tu thill was elected. Marcus Russell has been
cashier of the bank since its org-anization. The capital stock is
S30.()(l(). and the bank has been so well managfed that satisfactory
dividends have been received by its stockholders. It is one of the
solid financial institutions of the countv, and has the confidence of
the i)eople.

Union Trust Company.— This Companv was org-anized the 1st
of May, 1887, wHh a capital stock of Sl()0,OdO, of which S50,000 was
taken by E. A. Sherman. It was established for the purpose of
dealing in real estate, and making- long- time loans. E. A. Sherman
was elected^ its first president, and H. M. Averv secretary. When
the Union National Bank was org-anized, the bankingr branch of the
I nion Trust Company's business was transferred to this bank. Mr.
Sherman, as its president, and Mr. Avery as secretary, conducted
the business of the company during its existence.

(iKRMAN Bank.— The German Bank was started in Sioux Falls
hy Jacob Schaetzel, Sr., and his sons, with a capital stock of S50,000.
It opened for business on the first day of May, 1888, with Jacob



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 371



Schaetzel, Sr., as president, which position he held during- the entire
existence of the bank. Georg-e Schaetzel was cashier until 1891, at
which time his brother Henry took that place and remained in that
capacity until the bank voluntarily went out of business in October,
18%. The manag-ement of the bank was conservative and had the
confidence of the people.

Union Savings Association. — This association was incorpor-
ated in November, 1894, with an authorized capital stock of $1,00(),()()().
G. W. Abbott was the most active promoter of this org-anization,
having- had several years experience as manag-er of similar enter-
prises in Minneapolis and Sioux Palls. The first directors were
G. W. Abbott, C. S. Palmer, E. A. Sherman, P. J. Rog-de and B. H.
ReOua. C. S. Palmer was elected president, E. A. Sherman treas-
urer, and Mr. Abbott g-eneral manag-er. It had a paid up capital of
$90,000 at the start, and has been doing- a very successful business.

Co-Opekative Savings and Loan Association. — In 1888,
B. H. Lien, John Diamond, H. H. Natwick and C. G. Leyse,
all residents of Brooking-s, S. D., org-anized the Scandinavian
American Building- and Loan Association, at that place. Business
was done under this org-anization until June, 1891, when it was re in-
corporated under the name of the Co-Operative Saving-s and Loan
Association, and was removed to Sioux Palls in Pebruary, 1892. At
that time its assets amounted to $9,000, but after its location in
Sioux Falls the business was carried on upon a larg-er scale. R. P.
Pettig-rew was elected president, H. H. Natwick vice president,
B. H. Lien treasurer, C. G. Leyse secretary and G. W. Abbott man-
ag-er. Mr. Abbott remained with the association three years and
during- that period its volume of business rapidly increased, and at
the present time its published statements show that it has been
under wise and conservative manag-ement, and that it ranks among-
the foremost institutions of the kind in the Northwest.

HOTELS.

The first building- ever named as a h(jtel in Minnehaha C(»untv
was built of stone by the Western ToAvn Company in September,
1857, on the northeast quarter of section 16, in Sioux Falls, and was
called the Dulniqiic House. It was a small structure, l)ut it was large
enougfh to accommodate the traveling- public at that time. There has
been nothing- left of this pioneer hotel for the last twenty years to
designate its exact location, except a slig-ht depression in the ground
where the cellar was excavated. It was located north of the island.

Cataract House. — This was the first hotel built in Minnehaha
countv which had anything like reasonable facilities for accommo-
dating the traveling public. It was built in 1871 by Harry Corson,
and opened to the public on the l5th day of August of that year. The
structure was thirty by forty feet, two stories in heig-ht and base-
ment. It had fourteen bed chambers and two parlors. At this early
date in the history of Sioux Palls it was quite a pretentious hotel,
and under the management of Mr. Corson it soon became known as
the best hotel in Dakota. As the demand increased for greater



572



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



accommodations, the capacity of the hotel was enlarg-ed. In the
spring- of 1882 the orig-inal structure was moved into Ninth street
and occupied there, while the present Cataract House was being-
erected on the old site, and remained in Ninth street until January
10, 1883, when it was removed to its present location on the west side
of' Main avenue between Eig-hth and Ninth streets, and since then




Cataract House, 1871.



has been known as the Sherman House. About the 20th of Decem-
ber, 1882, the Corson Brothers (Harry and Henry) moved into the
new building-, and it was under their management until they leased
it to Fred H. Snyder of St. Paul, in January, 1894. Cinder the man-
ag-ement of Mr. Snyder this famous hotel lost none of its prestige.
In April, 1899, the hotel was leased to G. H. Love of Chicag-o, who is
now in charg-e, and it is still the leading- hostelry in the state.

Sherman House. — This hotel is located on Main avenue be-
tween Eig-hth and Ninth streets, and, as already mentioned, was the
orig-inal Cataract House. It has been owned and occupied since
1883 by several different persons. At one time the most pretentious
hotel in the Territory of Dakota, it is still an object of interest, fur-
nishing-, as it does, a striking- illustration of the rapid g-rowth and
development of this section of the country.

Central House. — This hotel was built in 1871 by Joseph
Dupries, a Frenchman, and he occupied it until April, 1875. In De-
cember, 1879, it came into the hands of Mrs. Alice Morris of this
city, who purchased it of Georg-e Wrig-ht now of Chamberlain, S. D.,
and since that time she has owned the property. For several years
she had personal charg-e of the hotel, and those best qualified to ex-
press an opinion in the matter say it was an orderly, well kept hotel,
and was liberally patronized. Since her ownership it has been
g-reatly improved and enlarg-ed. During- the last few years it has
been leased, and at the present time is one of the popular resorts for
the traveling- public.

Commercial House.— When W. E. Willey came to Sioux Falls
in 1878, he purchased the lots and built a hotel called the Commercial



History of minnehaha count v. 373



House, where the hotel of the same name is now located. This
buildino- he occupied until 1883, when he moved it to the rear, and
erected a laro-e fine hotel buildino- on the site of the old wooden struc-
ture. The new Commercial House was opened to the public on the
1st day of September of that year, and the captain was more than
deliofhted with the prospects of reaping- a rich harvest from his in-
vestment. The hotel was commodious and well furnished, and from
the start was well patronized by the public. But this state of aifairs
did not last lono-, for on the 6th day of November of that year it was
totally destroyed by lire too-ether with almost its entire contents.
Durinjj- the year following-. Captain Willey built the present Com-
mercial House, and when completed ag-ain assumed the duties of land-
lord, which he continued to the g-reat satisfaction of the patrons of
the hotel until 1885, when he sold the property to Len Clark. Mr.
Clark conducted the hotel until April 1, 1888, when he sold out to
Wyman & Sons of Minneapolis, and they in turn sold it to Brace cS:
Carpenter in January, 1889. The late M. J. Roche leased the Com-
mercial House and took possession on the 21st day of January, 188*).
He was a good landlord, and during- his manag-ement, which contin-
ued for four years and eig-ht months, this hotel was liberally patron-
ized. Since the retirement of Mr. Roche the hotel has been leased
to different parties, and is at the present tinre under the manag-ement
of Mark Bridge, who is receiving- a liberal patronag-e from the travel-
ing- public.

Merchants Hotel. — This hotel was built by Mat Reese in 1878.
Orig-inally it was a two-story brick veneered building- 44 by 80 feet in
size. In 1886, this hotel was purchased by Willev & Williams, and
was remodeled and enlarg-ed, and conducted by them until 1807, dur-
ing- which time it received a larg-e share of the patronag-e of the tra\-



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 39 of 99)