Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 45 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 45 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


treasurer and recording secretary of the preceding- year were re-
elected.

At the annual meeting in October, 1893, C. E. Baker was elected
president, J. H. Chapman vice president, L. T. Butterfield treas-
urer, P. C. Pinkham recording secretary.

In October, 1894, the following- officers were elected: C. E.
Baker president, U. S. G. Cherry vice president, L. T. Butterfield
treasurer, T. G. Brown recording secretary, and a board of di-
rectors.

On the 22d day of January, 1895, at a special meeting. Secretary
Wig-ht tendered his resignation, which was accepted. On the 28th
day of January, 1895, P. C. Pinkham was elected g-eneral secretarv,
to serve until Mav 1, and in April was elected to serve until October
1, 1895.

There were at that time 328 members of the association, but the
hard times made it impossible to keep it up, and it g-radually sub-
sided into a state of inactivity, until January, 1899, wdien some young-
men of Sioux Falls again organized an association, a constitution and
by-laws were adopted, and the following- officers were elected: Geo.
P. Knappen president, B. C. Mathews vice president, Roy Wyman
secretary, Chauncey Tuthill treasurer, Max P. Beveridg-e member
at large.

MILITARY ORGANIZATIONS.

Company B, Second Regiment Dakota National Guards. —
This company organized in Sioux Falls February 23, 1885, wMth the
following charter members: A. L. Currv, S. T. Clover, L. R. Root,
J. S. Lewis, R. J. Woods, Geo. Baldwin, C. H. Wallingford, Willitt
Skillman, Frank Allen, Paul Knowles, MerrittHitt, W. H. Williams,
Louis (iilbert, Michael Blum, Ed. Dillabough, E. S. DeGoff, Joseph
Detzen, Louis Erbv, Geo. Hoffman, Frank Hornefius, Homer Lloyd,
Walter Love, (TuyMiltimore, Pelly Noble, Will Rounds, W. E. Rus-
sel, J. B. Skinner, Emmett Skillman, John Shorb, Earl Ulrich, Oscar
Williams, R. Woodworth.

The officers from February 23, to June 30, 1885 were: N. B.
Bailey, Captain; A. L. Currv, 1st Lieutenant; S. T. Clover, 2d Lieu-
tenant. 1885-7, C. T. Jeffers, Captain; A. L. Currv, 1st Lieutenant;
S. T. Clover, 2d Lieutenant. 1887-90, C. T. Jeffers, Captain; E. H.
Sanford and S. T. Clover, 1st Lieutenants; R. J. Woods, Virg-il
Avery and W. R. Skillman, 2d Lieutenants. 1890-3, C. T. Jeffers
and L. D. Spragle, Captains; E. H. Sanford, 1st Lieutenant; Earl
Ulrich, 2d Lieutenant. 1893-4, L. D. Spragle, Captain; Earl Ulrich,
1st Lieutenant; A. S. Sherwood, 2d Lieutenant; 1894-5, same officers



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 413



as the year precedinof. 1895-6, Earl Ulrich, Captain; A. S. Sher-
wood, 1st Lieutenant; Ernest Lacey, 2d Lieutenant. In the latter
part of the year the company was disbanded.

In February, 1897, Company B was reorofanized with about 4(*
members. Earl Ulrich was elected Captain; Willis Mayne, 1st Lieut-
enant; John Fox, 2d Lieutenant. But it aj^ain disbanded during- the
followinof summer, and the equipments were sent to Watertown,

On the 8th day of March, 1898, when a war with Spain seemed
probable, a large number of patriotic young men met in the Maca-
bees' hall, and Company B was ag*ain reorganized, and fifty of them
were enrolled and sworn into service by Lieutenant Frost, who was
present for that purpose. An election of officers took place and A.
B. Sessions w^as elected Captain, John Fox, 1st Lieutenant. 10. I).
Aldrich, 2d Lieutenant.

It was only about a month later when war was declared with
Spain, and soldiers were called for by President McKinley, and South
Dakota's quota assigned her. The stern realities of war now stared
the members of Company B in the face. To their credit there was
no flinching- manifested, but on the other hand everyone who failed
to pass the necessary and rigid physical examination was g-reatly
disappointed.

On May 2, the First Regiment of the South Dakota Volunteer
Infantry went into camp in Sioux Falls, and Company B, on the 13th
day of May was mustered into the United States military service.
On Sunday, the 30th day of May, 1898, the regiment left Sioux Falls
for the Pacific coast to a^vait transportation to the Phillipine Islands.
It remained in San Francisco until July 28, when it left for Manila.
The steamer on which the reg-iment embarked stopped four days at
Honolulu, H. I., and during this time the soldiers were made hai)py
by the generous and unlimited hospitalities which were graciously
extended to them by the warm-hearted residents of this beautiful
city.

They arrived at their destination on the 31st day of August, but
it was several months before the reg-iment was ordered to the front.
But their time came at last, and then their endurance and courag-e
were put to the severest test. All the ordinary hardships of war
they had to endure, and much more, for they were unacclimated and
compelled to march under the rays of a tropical sun throug-h dense
and almost inpenetrable thickets where the wily Tagals were con-
cealed with their deadly Mausers. But the regiment had been
brought to a high state of discipline, and was led by Col, Frost, a
brave and competent commander.

South Dakota is proud of her regiment, and Sioux Falls is ])roii(l
of Company B. The regiment is at this writing on its wa\- home,
and Company B, will soon be in Sioux Falls,

The following comprises a list of those members who enlisted
from this county: Officers from Sioux Palls, Captain, Alonzo B,
Sessions; 1st Lieutenant, John C, Pox; 2d Lieutenant, Edwin E,
Hawkins; 1st Sergeant, Walter S. Doolittle; Quartermaster, Don H.
Pox; 2d Sergeant, A. R. Schlosser; 3d Sergeant, C. L. Butler; 4th
Sergeant, William Hill; 5th Sergeant, Harry C. Schlosser; 1st Cor-



414 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



poral, Arthur W. Swenson; 2cl Corporal, Carl W. Anthon}-; 3d Cor-
poral, J. A. Jones; 4th Corporal, E. J. Aslesen; 6th Corporal, H. W.
Simpson; Musician, J. B. Sessions; Artificer, Carl F. Roman; Wagg-
oner, Ang-us P. Roman.

Privates, from Sioux Palls, A. Anderson, A. J. Anderson, A. B.
Bunts, E. W. Blackburn, J. E. Barlow, E. N. Cole, H. W. Powers,
W. E. Dickenson, Roy Ellis, A. J. Foster, S. A. Flaskey, H. B.
Smith, G. H. Stone, R. Schuman, A. String-ham, A. Carlson, Milton
S. Crandall, Thos. Haffev, H. A. Homan, J. Johnson, Levi W.James,
J. O. McLaren, A. Garrig-an, F. A. Gobel, F. Heng-el, Wallace Hill,
J. J. Whalen, Charles B. Ward, M. M. Waite, E. Wehling-, Fred J.
Watson, Geo. W. Zeigfelmeier. From Valley Spring's, Charles Esch-
els, and from Wayne township, Charles Smith.

Jonas H. Lien whose residence was in Sioux Falls went out with
the First Reg'iment as adjutant and was killed in battle. Charles
Eschels died from disease contracted in camp.

Third Regiment U. S. V. Cavalry. — At the first intimation of
a war with Spain, Melvin Grig-sby of Sioux Falls, conceived the idea
that a regfiment of cowboys would be more effective than any body of
reg-ulars, owing- to their recklessness of life and limb and daring-
spirit. He communicated this idea to the secretary of war, at the
same time tendering- his own services, and received a favorable reply.
April 11, 1898, Mr. Grig-sby went to Washing-ton, and soon after his
arrival learned that a bill inspired by Theodore Roosevelt was before
Cong-ress providing- for the org-anization of a reg-iment of cowboys.
SeeiujL^ that only one reg"iment of special volunteers could be raised
by the president under the provisions of the bill Mr. Grig-sby, in the
nick of time prepared, and throug-h some of his friends among- the
cong-ressmen, secured the following- amendment to the army bill:
"Provided further, that the president may authorize the secretary of
war to org-anize companies, troops, batalions or reg-iments pcssessing-
special qualifications from the Nation at larg-e under such rules and
reg-ulations, including- the appointment of the officers thereof, as may
be prescribed by the secretar}" of war." This bill passed on April
22, and a week later Mr. Grig-sby received his commission as Colonel,
with instructions to recruit the regiment of the Third United States
Volunteer Cavalry, now known throughout the country as "Grig-sby's
Cowboys." His regfiment was mustered into service May 19, and
the next day left for Chickamauga.

The following is a list of members of Troop B, Avho were resi-
dents of this county: Officers, 1st Lieutenant, Georg-e Grig»-sby; 2d
Sergeant, Peter Gardner; ()th Sergeant, Thomas W. Wilkes; Corpo-
ral, Roy S. Avery; Trumpeter, William E. Wilkes.

Privates, Algernon Beech, Harry T. Brown, George E. Grimes,
T. Rodemaker, William F. Copelin, John McKeon, Thomas W.
Waring.

This reg-iment remained at Camp Thomas, until the close of the
war with Spain, and then was mustered out of the miltary service.
Two of the young- men who enlisted from Sioux Falls, Alg-ernon
Beech and William F. Copelin, died from disease contracted in
camp.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 415



Grand Army op^ thp: Republic, Joe Hooker Post, No. 10.—
This post was org-anized and mustered in on the 12th dav of May,
1882, with the following- charter members: Thomas S, Free, Wm.
Beckler, V. R. L. Barnes, Peter Oilman, C. I). Rice, H. T. DeLong-,
Henry Smith, J. B. Hawley, Wm. Mason, B. M. Stone, W. S.
Potter, E. M. Winslow, Henry Brislan, Job Gray, Oscar PJickox,
John Sloan, G. A. Campbell, F." M. Gee, L. Davis, A. H. Stone, Joe
Dunn, J. M. Zook, S. B. Owen, W. B. Jacobs, J. T. McCkirraug-h,
Thomas Leky, H. P. Hill, Benjamin West, J. B. Harris, B. F. Noble,
Robert Chisholm. The first Commander was Thomas H. Free,
Adjutant, W. S. Potter.

The following- comprises a list of the Commanders of the Post to
and including- 1895:

1883. E. Parliman; 1884, Wm. Beckler; 1885, L. D. Henrv; 188(.,
B. F. Campbell; 1887, H. W. Smith; 1888, W. H. Stoddard;" during-
this year the membership increased from 42 to 154 and became the
largrest post in the territory; 1889, Porter P. Peck; 1890, Charles
Barrett; 1891, C. S. Palmer; but soon after his electien he was elected
commander of the department of South Dakota and A. Beveridg-e was
elected to serve out the balance of the year; 1892, A. Beveridg-e; 1893,
Geo. W. Mathews, who during- the year moved out of the state, and
Porter P. Peck was elected to fill out the term; 1894, Porter P. Peck;
1895, C. H. Van Slyke.

The membership in 1895, was 127.

MINNEHAHA MEDICAL SOCIETY.

This society was org-anized May 16, 1883, and the following- were
charter members: Drs. T. S. Rol)erts, J. B. LeBlond, J. C. Morg-an,
S. Olney, O. O. Sawyer, C. P. Bissell, S. A. Brown and W. H. (;er-
main. The officers were: Dr. T. S. Roberts president; Dr. J. B.
LeBlond vice president; Dr. W. A. Germain secretary.

1884. Dr. J. C. Morg-an president; Dr. S. Olney vice |)resident;
Dr. S. A. Brown secretary; Dr. O. O. Sawyer treasurer.

1885. Dr. S. Olney president; Dr. O. O. Sawyer vice president;
Dr. S. A. Brown secretary; Dr. T. S. Roberts treasurer.

ISSO. Dr. J. B. LeBlond president; Dr. W. A. (iermain vice
president; Dr. S. A. Brown secretary; Dr. T. S. Roberts treasurer.

1887. Dr. A. H. Tufts president; Dr. H. W. Subera vice presi-
dent; Dr. S. A. Brown secretary; Dr. T. S. Roberts treasurer.

1888. Dr. A. H. Tufts president; Dr. H. W. Subera vice presi-
dent; Dr. S. A. Brown secretary; Dr. T. S. Roberts treasurer.

18S9. The officers were the same as the year preceding-.

1800. Dr. S. A. Brown president; Dr. S." Olney vice president;
Dr. F. H. Files secretary; Dr. A. H. Tufts treasurer.

181)1. Dr. H. W. Subera president; Dr. R. Wood worth vice
president; Dr. F. H. Files secretary; Dr. A. H. Tufts treasurer.

1892. Dr. O. O. Sawyer president; Dr. Frances Kyle vice presi-
dent; Dr. F. H. Files secretary; Dr. A. H. Tufts treasurer.

1893. Dr. F. H. Files president; Dr. P>ances E. Kyle vice
president; Dr. R. E. Woodworth secretary; Dr. A. H. Tufts treas-
urer.



416 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.

1894. Dr. Frances E. Kyle president; Dr. R. E. Woodworth
vice president; Dr. A. H. Tufts secretary; Dr. H. Hovde treasurer.

1895. Dr. R. E. Woodworth president; Dr. C. W. Locke, of
Garretson, vice president; Dr. F. H. Files secretary; Dr. Frances E.
Kyle corresponding^ secretary; Drs. A. H. Tufts, J. C. Mor^ran and
G. A. Dickson, of Valley Spring-s, trustees. Dr. Kyle died Julv 23,
1895.

CEMETERY ASSOCIATION.

Mount Pleasant Cemetery Association. — Org-anized Novem-
ber 24, 1873, with the following- charter members: W. H. Corson, J.
Roberts, J. L. Phillips, C. K. Howard, Wm. VanEps, E. Sharpe, D.
H. Henrv, H. (lilbert, B. F. Campbell, John McClellan, E. A. Sher-
man, B. F. Roderick, A. Gale, R. H. Booth, T. H. Brown, C. J. Had-
ley, H. W. Lewis, True Dennis, W. R. McLaury, J. D. Cameron, J.
W. Callender, W. H. Nelson, John McKee, C. W. McDonald, H. J.
Whipple,

The trustees for 1873-4, were: Wm. VanEps, J. L. Phillips, J.
Roberts, Wm. Corson, Edwin Sharpe; 1874-5, E. A. Sherman, W. H.
Corson, B. F. Roderick, J. Roberts, J. L. Phillips; 1875-6, B. F. Rode-
rick, N. E. Phillips, J. L. Phillips, Edwin Sharpe, J. Roberts; 1876-7
same officers; 1877-8, J. L. Phillips, W. H. Corson, E. Sharpe, T. H.
Brown, E. A. Sherman; 1878-9, same officers; 1879-80, W. H. Corson,
J. L. Phillips, John McKee, E. A. Sherman, E. Sharpe. The offi-
cers elected in 1880 were not chang-ed until 1893, when E. A. Sher-
man, W. H. Corson, C. C. Carpenter, A. Beveridg-e and H. M. Avery
were elected trustees. After the election of trustees in 1894, the
board elected J. T. Gilbert president, C. C. Carpenter treasurer,
and H. M. Avery clerk. In 1895, Andrew Beveridg-e was elected
president, Frank C. Ang-el vice president, D. L. McKinney treas-
urer, H. M. Avery clerk. In 1896, they were re-elected, and they
with John Sundback constituted the board of trustees. In 1897, W.
L. Baker was elected president, F. C. Ang-el vice president, D. L.
McKinney treasurer, H. M. Avery clerk, and they with Andrew Bev-
eridg-e constituted the board of trustees. In 1898, W. L. Baker was
elected president, F. C. Angel vice president, D. L. McKinney treas-
urer, and H. M. Avery clerk. A. J. Rowland was elected trustee in
the place of Mr. Beveridg-e. Since 1893, the cemetery has been bet-
ter cared for than formerly, and its appearance greatly improved.

Roman Catholic Cemetery. — This cemetery is located about
two mile northeast of the Roman Catholic church in section four,
Sioux Falls township. It comprises several acres of land, and of
late considerable interest is being- manifested in beautifying the
g-rounds.

FRATERNAL ORGANIZATIONS.

masonic.

Minnehaha Lodge No. 5, A. F. and A. M,— In the fall of
1872, Thomas H. Brown of Sioux Falls had a heavy stove to move,
and seeing Clark G. Coats going by, called to him and asked his
assistance. While they were engaged in moving the stove, Mr.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTV 417



Brown noticed that Mr. Coats wore a Masonic pin, and commenced
to question him in regard to the number of Masons in the settlement.
Mr. Coats replied that he knew of several, and mentioned the names
of Joseph Dickson, I. C. Dixon, C. K. Howard, and added that there
was "a fellow by the name of Hawkins, who laid stone," whom he
thouo-ht was a Mason also. This was Judg-e R. C. Hawkins.

Mr. Brown had conducted a school of instruction in Montana
during- the years 1866-7, and he remarked to Mr. Coats that they
ought to org-anize a lodg-e. In those days the store of C. K. Howard
was the g'eneral rendezvous for the male population in the evening,
and the next nigdit found Mr, Brown there. Messrs. Dickson, Dixon
and Coats were also there, and after a short conversation Mr, Brown
remarked that it would not take him long- to find out who were Ma-
sons, if there was only some secluded spot to which they could retire.
Mr. Howard sug-gested the oat bin in the rear of his store, and thither
they repaired. Mr. Brown then proceeded to test each one thor-
oug"hly and although some were a little rusty, they were all Masons
sure enoug-h. In this oat bin meeting there were besides Mr. Brown,
Jos. Dickson, R. C. Hawkins and C, G. Coats, and from this humble
beginning- twenty-seven years ago, sprung the flourishing Minnehaha
Lodge No. 5.

Some of these brethren thought it would be impossible to meet
together as Masons, but Mr. Brown told them they could meet in
informal lodg-e, and the next meeting- was held in Dixon's old furni-
ture store, on the northwest corner of Main avenue and Eig-hth
street. At this meeting Mr. Brown was elected Master of the lodge.

Several meetings were held in this place, but the careless man-
ner of some of the brethren who used tobacco so offended Mr. Dix-
on's sense of cleanliness, that he refused to longer allow his store to
be used, and they were oblig-ed to seek a lodg-e room elsewhere.

After a few meetings Mr. Brown wrote to T. S. Parvin Grand
Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Iowa, and a dispensation was at
once furnished, establishing- Minnehaha Lodg-e No. 328.

After being shut out bv Mr. Dixon, a room was fitted up in a
building on Main avenue between Seventh and Eig-hth streets on or
near the present site of Wm. Van Eps old store. While this room
was being fitted up, the lodge met several times in a back room of
Mr. Brown's house, but the first meeting- in the lodge room was also
the first meeting under the dispensation.

Mr. Brown tells a funny incident which occured while the lodg-u
room was located in this building-. The lower floor of the building-
was used as a dwelling, and the family occupying- it kept boarders.
In those days very little plastering- was done, and this building- was
not plastered.

On a certain evening some new members were to be initiated,
and during- the day a man who boarded with the family just men-
tioned, came to Mr. Brown and told him that the ladies of the family
had devised a scheme by which they intended that nig-ht to learn all
there was of Masonry. In the room under the preparation room,
they had placed a barrel directly beneath the stove pipe hole in the
floor above, and on this they proposed to stand.

27



418 HISTOKY OF MIKNEHAHA COUKTY.



Mr. Brown called tog-ether two other g-entlemen who were pretty
l)ri*»-ht, and a ceremony was prepared for the benefit of the listeners.
This ceremony was faithfully carried out until a shriek was heard
from below, the barrel went over, and then all w^as still.

From this buildino- the lodjj-e was moyed to rooms oyer the land
office on the corner of Tenth street and Phillips avenue where the
Masonic Temple now stands. While there the charter from Iowa
was received. In that building- Harry Corson, Frank Pettigrew,
Andrew Peterson and Georg-e W. Skinner were made Masons.
While an entered apprentice, Mr. Peterson made a 24-inch g-aug-e,
and Mr. Weston made a level, both of which are still in the pos-
session of the lodg-e and much admired.

T. H. Brown, J. W. Callender and R. F. Pettig-rew w^ere sent as
deleg-ates to a convention of lodg-es held at Elk Point June 22, 1875,
to take such measures as mig-ht be neccessary to form a^ Grand
Lodg-e of Dakota. At this meeting- a constitution was drafted and
adopted. T. H. Brown w^as elected most Worshipful Grand Master
of the Grand Lodg-e of Dakota, and among- his appointments was that
of O. P. Weston of Minnehaha Lodg-e No. 328 as Grand Junior
Deacon.

It was at this jjoint in the history of the lodg-e that the changfe
was made in its name from Minnehaha Lodg-e No. 328 to Minnehaha
Lcxlg-e No. 5, In point of order it was No. 4, but in some w^ay, in
procuring- the seals for this lodg-e and the one at Canton, the mistake
was made in desig-nating- the Canton lodg-e as No. 4, instead of No. 5, as
it should have been.

In 1881 Thomas H. Brown was ag-ain elected Grand Master.

From the land oflice the lodg-e was moved to the Emerson block
in June, 1881. In 1883 the Masonic Temple was built, the corner
stone being- laid Aug-ust 8, of that year. This was an event hitheVto
unexcelled in the history of Masonry in the Northwest. Grand
Master O. S. Gifford w^as assisted by the Grand Lodg-e of Dakota,
convened especially for that purpose, and the ceremonies were at-
tended by about three hundred members of the fraternity and be-
tween two and three thousand spectators. Eleven jurisdictions
w^ere represented including*- sixty-three organizations. The proces-
sion was formed at the Masonic hall at 2 o'clock p. m., the escort
comprising- fifteen Knights Templars of DeMolay Commandery No.
3, Yankton, and forty-three Knights Templars oi Cyrene Command-
ery, Sioux Flails. Arriving at the site, the services w^ere opened by
the choir singing Lohengrin's "Great Architect of Heaven and
l^>arth." The articles prepared were deposited in a copper box
made to receive them, and the corner stone, a piece of Missouri sand-
stone weighing 5,200 lbs. was placed in position with appropriate
ceremonies. The oration w^as delivered by the Hon. A. C. Mellette.
After the exercises had been concluded, the visiting brethren were
conducted by the Cyrene Commandery to Germania hall, w^here a
banquet awaited them. . In the evening a Masonic ball was given,
with wdiich the festivities of the day were carried to a close. The
membership of the lodge at that time was ninety-one. The building
was completed early in the year 1884, and all the Masonic bodies in
the city took possession of the rooms constructed for their use.



HISTOKV OF MINXKHAJIA COUKTi' 41')



Thomas H. Brown was Worshipful Master of the lodo-e 187()-7-8
and 1881; John Bippus 187^); W. H. Nelson 1880; 1. K. Buck 1882;
R. C. Hawkins 1883 and 188()-7-8; W. A. (Germain 1885; A. B. Kitt-
redo-e 188*) and 18*)3; S. A. Brown 1890; F. W. Harrino-ton 1891;
F. H. Files 1892; J. B. Fox 1894; W. L. Baker 1895; M." R. Brown
189(); Frank Kunerth 1897; J. W. Jensen 1898. The membership of
the lodo-e is upwards of 200.

Royal Arch Maso'ns, Sioux Falls Chapter No. 2. -On the
8th dav of April, 1879, upon the call of I. K. Buck Most Eminent
Hio-h Priest, W. D. Stites Most Eminent Kino-, and E. P. Allen Most
Eminent Scribe, a number of o-entlemen met in convocation for the
])urpose of ort>-anizino- Sioux Falls Chapter No. 2, under dispensa-
tion from the o-eneral tj-rand chapter of the United States.

The foUowino- were charter members: I. K. Buck, W. I).
Stites, E;. p. Allen, Kinzie Maxlield, D. S. Glidden, Decatur Stew-
art, C. L. Norton, Frank Caldwell, Wm. H. Davenport, J. M. Rich-
ter, E. O. Kimberlv, Edwin E. Sag-e, J. W. Callender, Charles Bas-
sett.

At this meetino- the following- officers were elected: K. Max-
Held Capt. of the Host, J. M. Richter R. A. Capt., D. S. (xlidden P.
S., Wm. H. Davenport G. M. 3d vail, E. E. Sag-e G. M. 2d vail, Frank
Caldwell G. M. 1st vail, J. W. Callender tyler, R. O. Kimberlv treas-
urer. C. L. Norton secretarv.

1. K. Buck remained Hig-h Priest, W. D. Stites King-, .and E. \\
Allen Scribe of the Chapter until January, 1881, wlien W. D. Stites
was elected Hig-h Priest, and re-elected in 1882. Edwin Sharpe was
Hig-h Priest in 1883, D. S. Glidden in 1884, T. Frank Hawlev in 1885,
E. E. Sag-e in 1886, Frank Kunerth in 1887, Park Davis in 1888-9-00
C. S. Palmer in 1891, H. T. Corson in 1892, S. A. Brown in 1893, W.
T. Doolittle in 1894, Eug-ene Coug-hran in 1895. There were 171
members in 1895.

Cyrene Commandery No. 2."At the Masonic hall in Sioux
Falls, June 9, 1881, Sir Knig-hts J. B. Hawlev, E. E. Sag-e, W. D.
Stites, Frank Kunerth, Edwin O. Kimberley and Clark Keiser met
for the purpose of considering- a petition which had been prepared by
Sir Knigfht Hawley to be sent to the (ieneral Grand Commander,
asking- for a dispensation for a commandery at Sioux Falls to be
called Dakota Commandery. The petition had appended to it hfteen
sig-natures. Sir Knig-ht Hawley was named for Eminent Commander,
Sir Knig-ht J. M. Richter Generalissimo, and Sir Knig-ht W. D.
Stites Captain General. On the 14th day of Aug-ust, 1891, a dis-
pensation was issued by Benjamin Deane, Grand Master of Knig-hts
Templars in the United States, g-ranting- to the petitioners the rig-ht
"to open a commandery of Knig-hts Templars and Council of the
order of Knights of the Red Cross, subordinate to the (rrand En-
campment of the United States at the Cit}^ of Sioux Falls, Countv of
Minnehaha and Territory of Dakota, to be called and disting-uished
bv the name of Gethsemane Commandery No. 2," appointing- the
officers as requested in the petition. The first meeting- under this
dispensation was held on the 22d day of November, 1881, at which
time Eminent Commander J. B, Hawley proceeded to appoint the



420 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



subordinate officers and committees. The third Tuesday of each
mf)nth was fixed for the reofular convocation of the Commandery. At



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 45 of 99)