Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 46 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 46 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


its reofular meeting- on December 20, a committee was appointed to
request the Grand Master of Knig-hts Templars of the United States
to chang-e the name of theCommandery Gethsemane No, 2, to Cyrene
Commandery No. 2, which was done according-ly the January follow-
ing-. A meeting- of the Commandery was held June 21, 1882, to take
action in reg-ard to the funeral of Sir Knig-ht Thomas C. Cochran,
who died at Minneapolis that day, and it was decided that the Com-
mander}' should attend the funeral in a body,

November 6, 1883, W. D. Stites was installed as Eminent Com-
mander, Wm. T. Doolittle Generalissimo, Benjamin F. Campbell
Captain General.

The Commanderv attended the funeral of David Jackson Turner
on the 23d day of February, 1885. He died February 18,

In 1885, i). S. Glidden was elected Eminent Commander, William
T. Doolittle Generalissimo, and Benjamin F. Campbell Captain Gen-
eral. Since then the following named persons have been elected to
the above offices, in the order named: 1886, W. T. Doolittle, F. W.
Tavlor, B. F. Campbell; (D. S. Glidden was elected Rig-ht Eminent
Commander of the Territory, May 12, 1886.) 1887, W. T. Doolittle,
F. W. Tavlor, Eug-ene W. ^Coug-hran; 1888, F. W. Tavlor, E. W.
Coug-hran, B. F. Campbell; 1889, E. W. Cougfhran, Henry T. Corson,

B. F. Campbell; 1890, Henry T. Corson, Park Davis, B. F. Camp-
bell; 1891, Park Davis, B. P. Campbell, W. H. Holt; 1892, B. F.
Campbell, W. H. Holt, H. L. Greene; 1893, W. H. Holt, H. L. Greene,

C. E. Baker; 1894, H. L. Greene, C. E. Baker, W. A. Germain; 1895,
C. E. Baker, C. S. Palmer, A. F. Pilcher.

Alpha Council No. 1, K. and S.M.— Organized April 11, 1891,
with the following- charter members: Henry T. Corson, W. H. Holt,
F. W. Harring-ton, Samuel A. Brown, John B. Cloudas, Park Davis,
W. R. Fisher, O. L. Farnham, Frank Kunerth, Albert F. Pilcher,
Willard B. Walworth. The officers in 1891 were: S. A. Brown,
Thrice Illustrious Master, and A. F. Pilcher, Illustrious Deputy
Master; 1892 and 1893, Park Davis was T. I. M., and A. F. Pilcher,
I. D. M. The membership in 1895 was 25.

El Riad Temple a. a. O.N. Mystic Shrine.— The first meeting-
in Dakota, by the members of the Order of Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine, under dispensation, was held May 25, 1888, in the city of
Sioux Falls, with thirteen charter members, who had previously re-
ceived their degrees at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. A charter was granted
by the Imperial Council of Toronto, Canada, in June, 1888, W. D.
Stites, as Illustrious Potentate, having gone there for that purpose.

The charter members were as follows: W. D. Stites, N. E.
Phillips, Henry T. Corson, B. F. Campbell, A. B. Kittredge, W. R.
Burkholder, C. H. Vincent, J. E. Conklin, G. W. Burnside, C. H.
Winsor, D. C, Rice, Pickering Brown and Frank S. Emerson.

The officers elected were: W. D. Stites Illustrious Potentate;
A. B. Kittredge Chief Rabban; D. C. Rice Asst. Rabban; C. H. Win-
sor High Priest and Prophet; Geo. W. Burnside Oriental Guide;
N. E. Phillips Recorder; C. H. Vincent Treasurer.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 421



C. H. Winsor was Illustrious Potentate in 1889-90-1-2, and Wni.
T. Doolittle in 1893-4. There were 507 members in 1895.

Eastern Star. —Jasper Chapter No. 8. Upon the petition of
several ladies and o-entlemen of Sioux Palls, a dispensation for or-
o-anizing- a Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, was <»-ranted
by John H. Baldwin, (xrand Patron of the Grand Chapter of the
order for South Dakota, and on the 8th day of Julv, 1890, Jasper
Chapter No. 8 was org-anized.

The first officers were: Mrs. Mary Brown worthy matron; F. W.
Harrington worthy patron; Mrs. Luella Jones associate matron;
Mrs. Helen E. Bailey secretary; Mrs. Harriet Hawkins treasurer;
Mrs. Fannie A. Parmle}^ conductress; Mrs. Emma C. Harring-ton
associate conductress; Mrs. Nellie C. Cloudas Esther; Mrs. Nellie
Holt Martha; Mrs. Ella M. Hubbard Electa; Mrs. Carrie Vincent
Ada; Frank Kunerth Sentinel; Mrs. Imog-ene Phillips chaplain; Mrs.
A. D. Tinsley org-anist.

Mrs. Mary Brown was worthy matron in 1890-1-2; Mrs. Helen
Bailey in 1893; Mrs. Marg-aret F. Phillips in 1894-5-6-7; Mrs. Amy
Skinner in 1898-9.

Jasper Chapter has a larg-e membership, and has g-iven some
very fine banquets and entertainments. It meets the first and third
Monday in each month, at the Masonic Temple.

INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS.

Royal Purple Encampment No. 1. — This encampment was
instituted at Vermillion, S. D., March 22, 1874, with the following-
charter members: R. R, Brig-gfs, M. D. Thompson, M. Madison,
W. L. H. Owen, G. W. Pratt, F. McKirscher and R. D. Tyler. The
encampment was removed to Sioux Falls May 13, 1879.

The following- named persons have been Patriarchs of the En-
campment since its org-anization; 1874, L. H. Owens, M. D. Thomp-
son; 1875, R. R. Brig-g-s, T. A. Robinson; 1876, W. D. Gould, G. H.
McDonald; 1877, W. D. Gould, G. H. McDonald; 1878, Geo. Koll, re-
elected the second term, and the first term in 1879; second term F. S.
Emerson; 1880, E. Sharpe, C. H. Vincent; 1881, P. W. Wildt, J. W.
Odell; 1882, T. F. Leavitt, S. E. Blauvelt; 1883, N. S. Johnson, T. A.
Robinson; 1884, S. E. Blauvelt, N. S. Johnson; 1885, Esten Thomp-
son, John Sundback; 1886, T. A. Robinson, C. M. Cumming-s; 1887.
T. G. Brown, A. C. Phillips; 1888, Dell Plantz, W. M. Cunning-ham;
1889, W. M. Cunning-ham, E. Russell; 1890, J. D. Howard, W. A.
Dow; 1891, J. A. Ward, E. S. McDonald; 1892, T. G. Brown, A. K.
Pav; 1893, W. A. Beach, F. G. Chaphe; 1894, T. R. Freeman, W. J.
Brandt: 1895, G. W. Fox, J. M. Woodruff. The membership in 1895
was 78.

Sioux Falls Lodge No. 9. — This lodg-e was instituted in Sioux
Falls May 24, 1876, with the following- charter members: Augfust
Ludwig-, Herman Gilbert, Wm. VanEps, Z. P. Herrick, Aug-ustus
Loneus, T. G. White, Wm. B. Dick, Edwin Sharpe, N. Boucher,
James O. McWilliams.

Since its institution the following- persons have been Noble
Grands of the lodg-e: 1876, Aug-ustus Loneus; 1877, Edwin Sharpe,



423 HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Z p. Ilen-ick; 1S')S, J. W. Oilell, T. H. Diefendorf; 187'), no record
of officers; 18cS(), P. W. Wildt, F. S. Kmerson; 1881, C. H. Vincent,
F. C. An<rel; 1882, S. E. Blauvelt, Sam Hurst; 1883, Sam Hurst, O.
M. Dahl;'l884, S. K. Blauvelt, T. G. Brown; 1885, John Sundback, D.
Plantz; 1886, Henry Peterson, A. C. Barnes; 1887, A. C. Phillips, R.
N. Williams; 1888, Wm. Beckler; 1889, R. J. McEwen, W. A. Dow;
1890, R. J. Woods, W. C. Bailey; 1891, W. A. Beach, J. A. Ward;
1892, W. M. Cunnino-ham, Ira Gilman; 1893, Wm. E. Russell, Geo.
T. Blackman; 1894, J. D. Howard, J. Woodruff; 1895, J. E. Shaw, A.
J. McLane.

Harmonia Lodge No. 56, (German). — This lodg-e was insti-
tuted in Sioux Falls on the 9th day of October, 1883, with seventeen
charter members. M. W. Krudvig- was elected Noble Grand, P.
Plaster Vice Grand, F. Kunerth secretary, J. Rummel treasurer;
second term, July 9, 1894, F. Martin was elected Noble Grand, N.
D. Roster Vice Grand, W. Obert secretary, J. Rummel treasurer.

1885. N. D. Roster was elected Noble Grand, W. Obert Vice
Grand, F. Becker secretary, J. Rummel treasurer; second term, W.
Obert Noble Grand, F. Becker Vice Grand, J. P. Fiedler secretary,
J. Becher, treasurer.

1886. F. Becker Noble Grand, Phil Eichhorn Vice Grand, J.
P. Fiedler secretary, J. Becher treasurer; second term, Phil Eich-
horn Noble Grand, J. B. Dischner Vice Grand, P. G. Neisendorfer
secretary, J. Becher treasurer.

1887. N. B. Roster Noble Grand, John Garloff Vice Grand, M.
Krudvig- secretary, J. Becher treasurer; second term, John Garloff
Noble Grand, Henry Besler Vice Grand, P. G. Neisendorfer secre-
tary, J. Becher treasurer.

■ 1 888. H. Besler Noble Grand, P. G. Neisendorfer Vice Grand,
F. Martin secretary, J. Becher treasurer; second term, H. Besler
Noble Grand, Theo. Pankow Vice Grand, F. Martin secretary, J.
Becher treasurer.

1889. Theo. Pankow Noble Grand, E. G. Kreitz Vice Grand,
F, Martin secretary, J. Becher treasurer; second term, F. Martin
Noble Grand, J. Heinback Vice Grand, W^. Obert secretary, J.
Becher treasurer.

1890. P. Eichhorn Noble Grand, R. Pankow Vice Grand, F.
Martin secretary, J. Becher treasurer; second term, R. Pankow
Noble Grand, H. Pohle Vice (xrand, F. Martin secretary, J. Becher
treasurer.

1891. H. Pohle Noble Grand, Fred Kreiser Vice Grand, F.
Martin secretary, J. Becher treasurer; second term, F. Kreiser
Noble Grand, E. Kohler, Vice Grand, F. Martin secretary, J.
Becher treasurer.

1892. L. Kohler Noble Grand, J. Becher Vice Grand, H. Pohle
secretary, John Schaetzel treasurer; second term, J. Becher Noble
Grand, Werner Raabe Vice Grand, Herman Pohle secretary, John
Schaetzel treasurer.

1893. W. Raabe Noble Grand, John Zentel Vice Grand, H.
Pohle secretary, Theo. Pankow treasurer; second term, John Zentel
Noble Grand, Charles Rummel Vice Grand, H. Pohle secretary,
Theo. Pankow treasurer.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNT



1894. N. D. Roster Nol)le Grand, Frank Knnerth Vice (M-an.l,
H. Pohle secretary, Theo. Pankow treasurer; second term, Fred
Kreiser Noble Grand, J^eter Haas N'ice Grand, \V. Ohert secretary,
Theo. Pankow treasurer.

1895. Peter Haas Noble Grand, Alex Stern Vice Grand, W.
Obert secretary, Theo. Pankow treasurer; second term, Alex Stern
Noble Grand, Jacob Schopf Vice (xrand, Paul B. Meyer secretary,
Theo. Pankow treasurer. The membership in Aug-ust, 18%,
was 51.

Canton Veritas No. 2, Patriarchs Militant was instituted
March 27, 1886, with the followin^j;- charter members: K. R. Brio-o-s,
Thomas F. Deifendorf, Phillip Plaster, C. M. Cummint*-s, T. G.
Brown, J. J. Schumacher, Dell Plantz, I. M. Neher, Walter Crisp,
F. S. Emerson, Sam Hurst, T. A. Robinson, Jacob Becher, Will
Felber, S. E. Blauvelt, C. H. Vincent, Frank Baker, Henrv Peter-
son, Wendell Obert, A. C. Phillips, J. T. Gilbert, W. R. Keneiick,
Sherman A. Merrit, S. H. Burk, L. M. Bowen, John Sundback,
(i. D. Maurer, (ieo. Arneson, Andrew Thom])son, T. F. Leavitt,
J. B. Dischner.

The officers were in 1886: Capt., T. A. Robinson; Lieut., T. C^.
Brown; Ensig-n, I. N. Neher. 1887, Capt., C. M. Cumming-s; Lieut.,
A. C. Phillips; Ensig-n, S. H. Hurst. 1888, Capt., A. C. Phillips;
Lieut., E. S. McDonald; Ensig-n, Dell Plantz. 1889, Capt., E. S. Mc-
Donald; Lieut., W. A. Dow-" Ensig-n, Geo. Arneson. 1890, Capt.,
W. A. Dow; Lieut., W. M. Cunning-ham; Ensig-n, J. W. Craig-. 1891,
Capt., W. M. Cunning-ham; Lieut., W. E. Russell; Ensig-n, W. C.
Bailev. 1892, Capt., "W. E. Russell; Lieut., A. K. Pav; Ensig-n.
W. J: Brandt. 1893, Capt., A. K. Pav; Lieut., W. J. Brandt; En-
sig-n, J. M. Woodruff. 1894, Capt., W. J. Brandt; Lieut., J. M.
Woodruff; Ensig-n, G. W. Fox. 1895, Capt., W. J. Brandt; Lieut.,
J. M. Woodruff; Ensig-n, G. W. Fox. The membershi]) in Aug-ust,
1895, was 65.

Ev^elyn Lodge No. 7, Daughters of REBEKAH.—This lodge
was instituted in Sioux Falls April 10, 1890, with the following
charter members: Geo. W. Matthews, Mrs. Jennie Matthews, E. S,
McDonald, Samuel McCormack, Eliza McCormack, Silas E. Blauvelt,
Ralph R. Briggs, Sara J. Brig-g-s, Frank S. Emerson, Charles M.
Cumming-s, Isabel Cumming-s, Arthur S. Sherwood, Caroline L.
Greene.

The Noble Grands and Vice (brands were in 1890, Etta C.
Bailey, May D. McDonald. 1891, first term. May D. McDonald,
Polly Schumacher; second term, Pollv Schumacher, Jennie B. Cun-
ning-ham. 1892. first term, Jennie B. Cunning-ham, Lucy Plantz;
second tei'm, Lucy Plantz, Jennie Sherwood. 1893, first term, Jen-
nie Sherwood, Celia Ward; second term, Celia Ward, Mav A. Ricker.
1894, first term, Lucv Plantz, Mollie Reilev; second term, Mollie
Reiley, Sibbie Fox. 1895, first term, Sibl)ie Fox, Clara A. Thorne.
The membership in 1895 was upwards of 100.



424 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS.

Granitp: Lodge No. 18. — This lodg-e was instituted September
10, 1885, with the followino- charter members: B. P. Hornefiiis,
J. M. Bailey, Jr., H. L. Greene, C. H. Wallino-ford, A. C. Phillips,
T A. Robinson, F. S. Emerson, C. S. Buck, E. D. Morcom, John
Sundback, C. T. Jeffers, J. J. Lloyd, S. T. Elmendorf, S. E.
Blauvelt, J. L. Hadaman, C. F. Sischo, Roy Williams, M. Blum,
A. L. Curry, P. G. Neisendorfer, E. S. Savage, C. A. Maxon,
W. W. Van Horn, C. E. Hoffman, J. M. Kiel, Jerry Carleton, C. E.
Martin, W. H. Booth, F. C. Ang-el, F. F. Ang-el, F. S. Kimball, Otto
Heynsohn, J. A. Scott, J. W. Hutchinson, D. Plantz, J. G. Strahon,
Frank B. Snook.

The Chancellor Commanders of the lodg-e were in 1885, H. L.
Greene; 1886. first term, J. M. Bailey, Jr., second term, C. H. Wal-
lintrford; 1887, Silas Blauvelt, second term, F. S. Emerson; 1888, Dr.
H. W. Subera, second term, W. L. French; 1889, E. D. Morcom,
second term, U. S. G. Cherry; 18%, R. J. McEwen, second term, C.
F. Irvine; 1891, N. B. Bailey was elected Chancellor Commander and
J. H. Voorhees Vice Chancellor, but soon after the election Mr.
Bailev removed from the city, when J. H. Voorhees was elected to
till the vacancy, second term, C. P. Bates; 1892, J. W. Parker, second
term, F. R. Hyde; 1893, J. M. Donovan, second term, W. M. Cun-
nino-ham; 1894, S. S. Childs, second term, W. A. Beach; 1895, J. H.
J. Black. The lodg-e had 115 members June 1, 1895.

Damon Division No. 1. — Uniform Rank. This lodg-e was in-
stituted in Sioux Falls and received its charter January 16, 188().
The following were charter members: C. T. Jeffers, C. H. Walling -
ford, W. D. Blosser, Jno Briley, A. C. Phillips, S. A. Robinson, E.
D. Morcom.

May 4, 1886, the following- were elected officers: C. T. Jeffers
captain, A. C. Phillips lieutenant, C. H. Walling-ford herald, S. A.
Robinson recorder, AV. D. Blosser treasurer, E. D. Morcom g-uard,
Jno Briley sentinel.

1887: C. T. Jeffers captain, A. C. Phillips lieutenant, F. S.
Kimball herald, P. G. Neisendorfer recorder, W.D. Blosser treas-
urer. Van Horn g-uard, C. F. Sischo sentinel.

1888. Same officers as in 1887.

18S9. A. C. Phillips captain, E. D. Morcom lieutenant, H. C.
Collins herald, C. H. Elmendorf recorder, G. H. Carpenter trea-
surer, J. C. Farley guard, Theo. Wuest sentinel.

181K). J. C. Farley captain, Theo. Wuest lieutenant, C. F.
Irvine herald, Gus Grading-er recorder, G. H. Carpenter treasurer,
H. T. Parmley guard, P. J. Rodg-e sentinel, J. H. Scott standard
bearer.

181)1. W. A. Dow captain, S. S. Childs lieutenant, Theodore
Wuest herald, Gus (irading-er recorder, H. W. Subera treasurer,
H. T. Parmley g-uard, W. A. Adams sentinel, G. W. Lowry stand-
ard bearer.

181)2. Same officers as in 1891.

1893. W. M. Cunning-ham captain, S. S. Childs lieutenant, J.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY, 425



M. Donovan herald, Gus Grading-er recorder, G. W, Lowrv treasurer,
A. T. Latta o-uard, Gus Orton sentinel, R. Marson standard bearer.

1894. W. M. Cunning-ham captain, S. S. Childs lieutenant, J.
M. Donovan herald, E. C. Hinde recorder, D. B. Durant treasurer,
A. T. Latta g-nard, J. L. Glover sentinel, Roger Marson stantlard
bearer.

1895. A. E. Halsted captain, D. B. Durant lieutenant, J. M.
Donavan herald, W. J. Markhani treasurer, A. T. Latta gfuard, Cius
Orton, sentinel, Rog-er Marson, standard bearer. In 18^5, the mem-
bership was 46.

Benevolent Protective Order of Elks No. 262. — ^On the
6th day of May, 1893, District Deputy W. H. Caine of Stillwater,
Minnesota, accompanied bv twenty-six Elks, arrived in the city of
Sioux Palls for the purpose of instituting- two lodg-es of Elks in
South Dakota, one in this citv and one in the citv of Watertown.
These were the first lodg-es of Elks instituted in the state.

The exercises commenced in the morning- and continued without
intermission until midnig-ht, when, the work having- been com])leted,
one of the most elaborate banquets ever spread in the city was
served.

The lodg-e started out with fifty members, and the first officers
under the dispensation were: A. B. Kittredg-e Exalted Ruler, B. H.
Lien Esteemed Leading- Knig-ht, S. E. Blauvelt Esteemed Loyal
Knig-ht, J. H. Voorhees Esteemed Lecturing- Knig-ht.

At the first election Frank S. ICmerson was elected Exalted
Ruler, R. J. Woods Esteemed Leading- Knig-ht, T. C. Wuest Es-
teemed Loyal Knig-ht, E. W. Caldwell Esteemed Lecturing- Knig-ht.
At the annual election in 1894, Theodore C. Wuest was elected ICx-
alted Ruler, R. J. Woods Esteemed Leading- Knig-ht, Frank L. Row-
land Esteemed Loyal Knig-ht, J. D. Howard Esteemed Lecturing-
Knig-ht. In 1895, A. B Kittredg-e was elected Exalted Ruler, S. E.
Blauvelt, Jerry Carleton and J. D. Howard Esteemed Leading-, Loyal
and Lecturing- Knig-hts, respectively.

Every year since the establishment of the order of Elks in the
city of Sioux Palls, it has in the most substantial manner demon-
strated that it is in fact as well as in name a benevolent protective
association. February 5, 1894, by way of introduction to the ]ml)lic,
the Elks gave a charity ball in Germania hall. A larg-e number of
invitation;^ were sent out, printed on shing-les, and when the hour
arrived for the opening- of the ball, Germania hall, beautifully dec-
orated with everg-reens, palms, foliag-e, potted plants and flowers,
tilled to its utmost capacity with a brilliant assemblage of richly
dressed people, presented a spectacle of beauty and loveliness ne\er
before equalled in the state. It was a g-rand ball, artistic and elab-
orate in all its appointments and most brilliantly executed. It was
a financial as well as a social success, the total receipts being- S685,
and of this sum S500 was turned over to the Woman's Benevolent
association of the city of Sioux Falls, which divided the amount
equally with the Children's Home.

Ag-ain on the 25th day of February, 1895, the Elks gi-ave a charity
ball in Germania hall. The decorations and appointments were not



420 HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



SO elaborate as the year liefore, but the attendance was laro-e and the
ball one of the most enjoyable ever held in the city. It was a finan-
cial success, and it was reported that in spite of the hard times
about S3()0 was realized, which was turned over to the Woman's
Benevolent association.

Another event in the history of Sioux Palls Elks that is worthy
of notice, is the dedication of their hall in the Gilbert block on Phil-
lips avenue, September 13, 1894, when, the dedicatory exercises
being- over, an "elaborate and inexhaustible banquet was spread"
followed by the usual toasts and responses, and when these came to
an end, the Sioux Falls Elks collectively and individually believed
that they were the rig-htful proprietors of the upper story of the
Gilbert "block. The membership in 1895 was 100.

KNIGHTS OF THE MACCABEES.

Minnehaha Tent No. 7, was instituted in Sioux Palls Septem-
ber 19, 1894, with twenty-six charter members. The officers elected
at that time and remaining- as such until 1890 were as follows:
O. P. McNulty Commander; E. E. Harvey Lieut. Commander; J. M.
Hostetter Record keeper; Charles B. Peters Pinance keeper; A. J.
Yeag-er Chaplain; T. E. Wrig-ht Serg-eant.

ancient order of united workmen.

Jasper Lodge No. 21, was instituted in Sioux Palls July 10,
1885, with the following- charter members: O. D. Eng-lish, Pred
Kreiser, R. W. Bainber, Martin Olson, C. O. Henjum. H. D. Wil-
liams, Geo. H. Adkins, Peter Olson, M. Paithful, Prank Kunerth,
Theodore Pankow, Dell M. Plantz, Jerry Carleton, Prank Spauld-
ing-, W. S. Wynn.

The officers in 1885 were: Pred Kreiser Master Workman, A.
W. Paithful Recorder, C. O. Henjum Financier. 1886, Pred Kreiser
Master Workman, P. E. Spaulding- Recorder, Geo. W. Peterson
Financier. 1887, Geo. W. Peterson Master Workman, A. W. Paith-
ful Recorder, P. E. Spaulding- Financier. 1888, Fred Kreiser
Master Workman, A. W. Faithful Recorder, Dr. Geo. H. Pulford
Financier. 1889, Geo. W. Peterson Master Workman, W. T.
Cameron Recorder, Dr. Geo. H. Pulford Financier. 1890, William
(ieorg-e Master Workman, Fred Kreiser Recorder, Eug-ene Reilev
Financier. 1891, J. W. Craig- Master Workman, Pred Kreiser Re-
corder, Eug-ene Reiley Financier. 1892, J. D. Howard Master
Workman, T. Bushell Recorder, Eug-ene Reilev Financier. 1893,
H. J. Hatch Master Workman, T. Bushell Recorder, Eug-ene Reilev
Financier. 1894, A. Yeag-er Master Workman, T. Bushell Recorder,
Eug-ene Reiley Financier. 1895, E, H. Sanford Master Workman,
T. Bushell Recorder, Fred Kreiser Financier. The membership in
1895 was 300.

(tERMANIA Verein. — This society was org-anized in Sioux Palls
January 11, 1880, by a number of old settlers and residents of Ger-
man descent.

Their object in thus associating- is briefly outlined in the consti-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY, 427



tution of the society: "To foster art, to awaken the mind to lihcrlx ,
to create a love for all that is o-ood and beautiful, to encourage social
intercourse and to aid in preservin<*- the fruits of (Terman culture."
As a means to consummate these objects of the society it was con-
sidered necessary to encourao-e vocal music, dramatic entertain-
ments, crymnastics, elocution and debates; and the society has es-
tablished and supported sing-in^-, turninti-, dramatic, literary and
mutual aid sections, and oro-anized classes for the pursuit of Gev-
man studies under competent teachers. It also laid the foundation
for a circulatinjj- library.

In a financial way it has flourished beyond the fondest anticipa-
tions of its founders, and easily leads all the civic org-anizations of
the state in the value of its holding-s. It owns free of incumbrance,
and located near the business center of the city, its g-rounds and
building-. The latter is generally known as Germania Hall, includes
a larg-e and commodious theatre with well appointed stage, a gym-
nasium, club rooms and a janitor's residence, valued conservatiwly
at S15,(>()0.

The aims of the society have already in a great measure been
realized, and its influence has proved beneficial not onlv to the mem-
bers connected therewith and the Germans in this vicinitv, but also
to the city in which it is located.

Following are the names of the presidents of the societv from
its organization to 18%: H. Gilbert 1880, F. Kunerth 1881, W.
Raabe 1882-3-4, John Zentel 1885-6, F. Kreizer 1887-8, M. Levinger
1889-90, J. Schaetzel Jr. 1891, W. Raabe 1892, M. Levinger 1893-4-5.
The membership in 1895 was 48.

Turn Verein. — The Turn Verein of Sioux Falls is a l)rancli of
the upper Missouri district, which is a part of the national organiza-
tion called the North American Turner district. The upper Mis-
souri district consists of two vereins, one at Yankton and one at
Sioux Falls.

The Turn Verein of Sioux Falls was organized as a separate
society. May 6, 1892, with sixteen charter members, and the follow-
ing officers were elected: Paul H. Haman president, M. A. Walser
vice president, George Kuessner secretary, Wm. Richter treasurer,
M. A. Walser instructor. Second term, Mat. Walser president.
Charles Spitznagel vice president, Wm. Popp secretary, Charles
Rummel treasurer, Joe Walser instructor.

In 1893, Geo. Kuessner was elected president for first term,
Wm. Wolff, second term. Charles Spitznagel was president during-
1894 and 1895.

The members meet on the second Tuesda\- of each month, but
athletic instruction is given to classes three times a week. Two or
three exhibitions are given during the year, and the public has taken
great interest in seeing the progress of the pupils. All instruction
is given in the German languag-e.

The classes are open to men. women and children. Men belong
to the active class until they attain the age of 31, when they become
passive members. Youths, having been through the classes, l)ecome
active members when thev are 18 vears old.



428 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



The classes averag-e as follows: Active members, men 20, women
14, o-irls 17, boys 14. The membership in 1895 was 52.

Valhalla Club. — This club first org-anized for social purposes,
December 15, 1889, under the name of "The Young- Men's Scan-
dinavian Club of Sioux Palls." The charter members were as fol-
lows: J. S. Johnson, P. G. Rog-de, G. H. Kiland, G. C. Christopher-
son, A. S. Johnson, T. A. Sorum, Peter Haug-en, E. K. Rogness, X.
M. Dahl, A. Kiland, John H. Solberg, P. H. Dahl, Ole Olson.

Later the club was reorg-anized and the name changfed to "The
Scandinavian Club of Sioux Falls," which some time after, at another
reorg-anization, was chang-ed to its present name, "Valhalla Club."

The presidents of the club have been as follows: 1891, Dr. J. S,
Johnson; 1892-3-4, B. H. Lien; 1895-6, A. T. Christopherson; 1897.



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 46 of 99)