Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 47 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 47 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


J. W. Jensen; 1899, C. C. Bratrud. The membership in 1897 was 26.

Marquette Club. — This club was organized January 6, 1890,
bv the Roman Catholics of Sioux Palls, for social purposes. The
following were charter members: Rev. L. A. Ricklin, J. T. McCar-
rier, J. W. Sheridan, M. Gerin, J. K. Haug-hton, J. M. Donovan,
B. C. McCrossan, Joe Kirby, James Kearns, Henry Billion, J. D.
McDonald, James Regan, John Donahue, J. H. Tohev, J. J. Murrv,
S. Donahue, J. T. Sanders, W. D. McDonald, T. P. Murphy, Angus
McDonald, Den Donahue, James Bvrne, Joseph Schwarz, John T.
Parren, E. M. Sanders, P. Y. Jones, Michael Gallagher, M. White.

In 1890-1, M.Gerin was president and Joseph Schwarz vicepresi-
dent; 1892-5, Joseph Schwarz president, B. C. McCrossan vice presi-
dent, A. S. Kilroy corresponding secretary, John Pitzg-ibbons finan-
cial secretar^^ J. K. Haughton treasurer.

This club has g-iven some very fine social entertainments, which
have been greath' enjoyed by the people generally, and the directors
have earned the reputation of knowing how to please and deligdit the
guests on such occasions.

The Sunset Club. — This Club was organized in Sioux Palls at
the instigation of the Rev. A. H. Grant in November, 1892. After
Mr, (jrant's departure from the state, the affairs of the club were
managed by Mr. J. H. Gates. The charter members consisted of
the following gentlemen:

H. L. Greene. T. H. Brown, Rev. A. H. Grant, W. H. Lvon, J.
H. Gates, W. L. Baker, Dr. P. H. Piles, Dr. S. A. Brown, Dr. S.
Olney, E. W. Caldwell, J. Tomlinson, Jr., W. A. Wilkes, H. J. Dav-
enport, Prof. R. B. McClenon.

There was a sort of unwritten law that the members should meet
every alternate Tuesda}- evening during- cold weather, and when thev
did meet a banquet was spread, and after that had been disposed of
some topic was discussed. This club occupied about the same rela-
tion to the other clubs in the city as the Universalist church does to
the other churches, a sort of go-as-you-please style.

During the last few years of its existence the officesof president,
secretary and steward were filled by the same person, and the club
met in some room that was vacant evenings, and where no rent was
demanded. Rcqiiicscat in face.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 420



LABOR UNIONS.

Siorix Falls Typographical Union.— Oro-anized Septemhcr
11, 1886, with the following- charter members: Prank Hoifman,
W. A. Yoiiker, L. B. Terhune, G. J. Willits, C. H. Craio-, James
Woodruff, W. H. Thompson, Harry C. Corev, J. 8. Davidson and
Charles Porter. James Woodruff was elected president, C. P. Blair
vice president, Prank Hoffman secretary, (^eo. J. Willits treasurer,
C. P. Allen serg-eant-at-arms. In April, 1887, James Woodruff was
re-elected president and D. Hag-g-erty was elected vice president;
Prank Hoffman secretary, Geo. J. Willits treasurer. In 1888, D.
Hagfg-erty president, C. P. Allen vice president, Prank Hoffman sec-
retary, C. W. Tobin treasurer. In 1889, W. A. Youker president,
P. B. Ireland vice president. Prank Hoffman secretary and treas-
urer, P. L. Osg-ood recording- secretary. In 1890, W. T. Drips
])resident, P. G. Herron vice president, J. H. J. Black secretary and
treasurer, A. P. Knowles recording- secretary. In 1891, John T.
Cog-an president, P. G. Herron vice president, P. L. Osg-ood record-
ing- secretary, W. G. George financial secretary. In 1892, Will
Jamieson president, P. G. Herron vice president, J. H. J. Black re-
cording- secretary, W. G. Georg-e financial secretary. In 1893,
James Woodruff president, T. Hamann vice president, R. C. Al-
brook recording- secretary, Georg-e Denver financial secretary. In

1894, James Woodruff president, T. Hamann vice president, R. C.
Albrook recording- secretary, Geo. Denyer financial secretary. In

1895, C. H. Craig- president, P. T. George vice president, R. C. Al-
l)rook recording secretary, Geo. Denyer financial secretary. The
membership in August, 1895, was 34.

Knights of Labor, Jasper Assembly 497. — Was organised in
Sioux Palls by Z. B. Scott, state organizer, June 22, 1889, with the
following charter members: P. D. Gushard, Prank Morse, C. V.
Booth, Ole Olson, E. J. Sharon, P. L. Hartwick, Wm. Lass, Done-
gan Halligan. P. D. Gushard was elected Master Workman in 1889
and the first term of 1890; Joseph Sampson, two terms, 1890-91, and
J. T. Cogan; 1892, Geo. W. Burnside and J. E. Sides; 1893, A. H.
Grant; 1894, C. C. Peterson.

In 1892 the membership was nearly one hundred, but in 1894 so
many members were out of employment and unable to keep up their
dues that the membership was reduced to about fifty. In 1895 the
number of members had been reduced to eig-hteen, and the meeting-s
were suspended.

Pederation of Labor. — Organized in Sioux Palls July 13,
1894, with the following charter members: Eighteen members of the
Knights of Labor No. 497, twenty members of the Tailors' Union
No. 221, thirty-five members of the Typographical Union No. 218,
fifty-five members of the Cigar Makers' Union No. 153. H, H.
Schwartz, Jr., was elected president, Wm. Jones vice president,
Aug. H. Reichard recording secretary, Louis P. Gust treasurer.
On the second Priday in July, 1895, Willis M. Pritchard was elected
president, C. P. Allen vice president, Aug. H. Reichard secretary,
J. H. Stout treasurer.



430



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Ci(iAR Makers' Union No. 153. — Org-anized December 25, 1888,
with the following- charter members and officers: Geo. Sutcliff
president, Charles Johnson vice president, John Wittell recording
secretar3% Frank Carr financia.1 secretary, John Stout treasurer, H.
Paulson serg-eant-at-arms, W. Hag-cuberth, John Schneider and P.
PfeifFer trustees, Sam Ohlund auditor. J. L. Plynn was president
from 1890 to 1895. At one time the membership was about 60, but
at this writing (1895) it is about 40.

In addition to the foreg-oing labor unions there are now estab-
lished and in flourishing- condition in the city, the Retail Clerks'
Union No. 218, the Barbers International Union No. 123, and the
United Commercial Travelers.





George W. Abbott.



BlOaRAPHICAL. SKETCHES,



Abbott, George W., was born in Sandwich, New Hampshire,
October 10, 1858. His father was a farmer, and the subject of this
sketch was reared on the farm and knows what farm work is from
experience. He was educated at the public schools and at the hio-h
school and Phillips Academy at Exeter, N. H. At the a^-e of twenty
he went to Colorado as secretary for a mining- expert, and remained
there until he removed to Dakota in 1882. He settled in what is now
Mcintosh county, North Dakota. He helped org-anize the county,
and was its first superintendent of schools. He was also appointed
postmaster at Ashley, and was the first postmaster in Mcintosh
county. During- this time he had a cattle ranch and was also en-
g-ag-ed in merchandising-. In 1887, he sold out his interest and re-
moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and eng-ag-ed in the furniture and
hardware business until 1891, when he removed to Sioux Palls and
became the g-eneral managfer of the Co-operative Loan and Savingfs
Association of that place. He occupied that position until Septem-
ber, 1894, when he resigned, and org-anized the Union Saving-s Asso-
ciation of Sioux Palls, and since then has devoted his time in pro-
moting- the interests of this association as its g-eneral manag-er. Mr.
Abbott is an active, energetic business man and an enterprising and
respected citizen.

AiKENS, Prank R., the subject of this sketch — althoug-h he for
several years resided at Canton, Lincoln county, since coming- to
Dakota — is so well known to the residents of Minnehaha count v,
and has been so closely identified with her affairs, that he is entitled
to a more extensive notice than will appear incidentally upon the
pag-es of this work. He was born in the city of New York, Decem-
ber 14, 1855, and entered a law office so young, that he practically
received his education in a law office. After five years of study was
admitted to the bar January 5, 1877, and commenced the practice of
law at Rome, N. Y., where he remained until August, 1880, when he
went to Sioux Palls, and from there to Canton, where he opened a
law office on the 1st day of September following. Prom the first he
had a good practice, took an active part in politics, and in 1885 was
elected to the provisional state senate; was also elected to, and served
in the territorial assembly, 1887, and 1889; was chairman of the
judiciary committee in 1887, and served on the same committee in
1889, and was practically its chairman; was a prominent and influen-
tial member of the legislature during both sessions, and was recog-



434 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



ni/ed as one of its ablest debaters. He is always clear, concise and
forcible in presenting- his views, and has enough of the orator in his
composition to command the attention of any audience he may ad-
dress. On the 19th dav of March, 1889, was appointed associate
justice of the territorial supreme court, and the following- October
was elected judo-e of the second judical circuit for the term of four
years. At the expiration of his term of office as judg-e he resumed
the practice of law at Canton until July, 1895, at which time he re-
moved to Sioux Falls and entered into copartnership with the firm
of Bailey & Voorhees for the practice of law, under the firm name
of Aikens, Bailev & Voorhees, and was the trial lawyer of the firm
during- its existence, which terminated in October, 1897. On the 22d
dav of that month he formed a partnership with Harold E. Judg-e un-
der the firm name of Aikens & Judg-e, which partnership still con-
tinues.

While upon the bench he was a g-ood listener, always self-possess-
ed, and understood thoroug-hly the case he was trying-, and if he had
not been so big - hearted would have laid down the law cold enough to
satisfy the most exacting- lawyer. Young-, active and sagacious, with
strong inclinations to take a hand in the affairs of the state, it is not
too much to predict that thirty years from now the foregoing sketch
will be remarkable for its brevity.

Aldrich, Herbert Clark, is a native of Vermont and was
born January 13, 1845. In 1850 he removed to Illinois with his par-
ents, and resided a few years in Iowa, and finally in September,
1872, came to Sioux Palls and bought the southwest quarter of sec-
tion 13, and settled down to farming-. He has held several town of-
fices. A few years ago he rented his farm and came to the city of
Sioux Palls and engaged in the grocery business. He was a good
farmer and is well liked as a business man, and is a thoroughly good
citizen.

Almos, Andrew O., was born in Norway November 22, 1849,
and was raised on a farm. He emig-rated to Lansing, Iowa, in 1870,
and worked there at the carpenter's trade seven years. He came to
Sioux Palls May 12, 1878, and since then has been engaged as a
contractor and builder. He built the Lowell school house, and the
Lutheran Normal school buildings, and several of the best residences
in the city, and has also built a number of churches in the county.
He is a good citizen.

Archer, Thomas E., is a native of Stafforshire, England, and
was born Pebruary 12, 1837; attended the public schools, worked on
a farm and in the butcher business until he emigrated to this country
with his parents in 1851, and settled in Iowa; engaged in farming
until 1881, when he went to Brule county, Dakota, and opened a meat
market, and also engaged in farming until April, 1888, when he came
to Sioux Falls and opened a meat market in the Waples block. In
1890 went to Rowena, and opened a meat market there, l^ut returned
to Sioux Falls, and for several years has been established on Main
a\enue in the meat business. He is a good citizen.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY 435



Avery, Henry, M., was born at Newbury, Vermont, February
2, 1849. He removed with his parents to Walworth county, Wis., iii
1857; was raised on a farm, attended public schools, and was a
student at Beloit colleg-e for some time. When he attained his ma-
jority he removed to Jackson, Minn., and started a newspaper called
the Jackson Republic, and was its editor and publisher for five years.
He then sold out the paper, and en<^-ao-ed in the mercantile business
at the same place. In 1881, he removed to this county, and located
in Sioux Falls on the 22d day of Aug-ust. He was appointed deputv
clerk of the courts of Minnehaha county, and held this position until
1888. Upon his arrival in Sioux Falls he purchased the al)stract
business of Charles Webber, and has continued that business since
then. In 1892 it was incorporated under the name of the Sioux Falls
Abstract and Title Insurance Companv, with a capital stock of
S50,000.00. In March, 1898, the name of this corporation was
changfed to the Sioux Falls Abstract Company, and Mr. Avery and
wife own the majority of the stock. He has been a member of the
Sioux Falls Fire Department fourteen years, and was its chief four
years. Mr. Avery is one of Sioux Falls most energetic citizens, and
an enthusiastic supporter of any project calculated to promote the
prosperity of the city.

Bailey, Charles O., was born at Freeport, Illinois, Julv 2,
1860. He was a son of the late Judgfe J. M. Bailey of Freeport, who
was a circuit judg-e in Illinois for one year, ten years a judg-e of the
appellant court, and during- the last eig-ht years of his life was a
judg-e of the supreme court of that state, and during- a portion of the
time was its chief justice. Charles O. during- his youth attended
the city schools, and at the ag-e of twenty was g-raduated from the
university at Rochester, N. Y. He then entered the law department
of the Northwestern Railroad Company at Chicag-o, where he re-
mained until admitted to the bar in the spring- of 1883. He was
admitted to the bar in Iowa and Nebraska the same year. He com-
menced the practice of law in 1883 at Eag-le Grove, Iowa, and re-
mained there until the fall of 1886. W^hile at that place he held the
office of mayor for one year and during- all the time he resided there
was division attorney for the Northwestern railroad. Upon leaving-
Eag-le Grove he went to Chicag-o and remained there six months, and
came to Sioux Falls in April, 1887, where he opened a law office and
in Aug-ust following- formed a copartnership with H. T. Root. In
February, 1888, this partnership was dissolved and he was alone un-
til January, 1889, when he associated with him W. H. Stoddard and
W. H. Wilson under the firm name of Bailey, Stoddard & Wilson.
This partnarship existed until May, 1890, when Mr. Wilson retired
from the firm and Bailey & Stoddard continued the practice to-
g-ether until January, 1892, at which time the firm of Bailey & Voor-
hees was established. In July, 1895, Judg-e Aikens became a mem-
l)er of the firm, under the name of Aikens, Bailey & Voorhees which
firm existed until the withdrawal of Judg-e Aikens October 25, 1897,
Mr. Bailev has been the attorney of the Illinois Central at Sioux
Falls since the road was built into the city. He has also been the
attornev for R. G. Dunn & Co. Commercial Ag-encv, since 1887, and



436 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



for the Western Union Teleg-raph Co., since 1890. He was elected
district attorney of Minnehaha county in 1888, by the Democratic
party, and held that office until the 21st day of Aug-ust, 1890. In
1893 he was admitted to practice in the United States supreme court.
He has one of the most extensive law libraries in the Northwest, and
is recognized as one of the most studious and well read lawyers in
the state. Since coming- to Sioux Falls the firms with which he has
been associated have asked but few favors of their opponents or the
court, and this in a g-reat measure is owing- to the careful prepa-
ration made by him in all the cases in which they have been employed.
The foreg-oing brief outline of Mr. Bailey's professional career is
sufficient without comment to establish his standing- at the bar, and
it only remains to be added that he is at peace with his brother
lawyers and is a respected citizen.

Bailey, Jr., Joseph Mead, a brother of C. O. Bailey, came to
Sioux Palls in June, 1885, and announced that he had come to stay.
He was not quite twenty-one years old, short in stature, and looked
to be two or three years young-er than he was. But it was soon
known in the city that he was a man of affairs. He contracted for
the convict labor in the penitentiary, and commenced at once to in-
terest himself in the banking- business. He was connected with the
(Terman-American Loan & Trust Co., and in 1886 became vnce presi-
dent of the Citizens National Bank, and was instrumental in the merg -
ing- of that bank with the Minnehaha National in 1888. When the
consolidation had taken place he was elected its president, and held
the position until his decease. April 1, 1889, he was appointed treas-
urer of the Territory of Dakota by Governor Mellette, and held the
office until a treasurer of the State of South Dakota was elected. He
was interested in banking- at Huron, Parker, Valley Spring-s and
(Tarretson,and was concerned in several large enterprises during- the
boom days in Sioux Falls. He was as active in political matters as
in business enterprises. In 1888, he was elected a delegate from the
Territory to the Republican National Convention, and he found time
to devote to city, county, and state politics. But his slight physical
resources were not equal to the requirements of his active brain and
wonderful energy. He became broken in health early in 1891, and
went abroad to rest and recuperate, but never returned to Sioux
Falls.

He was born November 4, 1864, at Freeport, 111., and died at his
birthplace on the 12th day of September, 1891. A large delegation
from Sioux Falls attended his funeral. He was educated at Mount
Morris Academy, Illinois, and was graduated from the University at
Rochester, N. Y., in 1882. In 1883, he was appointed swamp-land
agent for Iowa, to effect a settlement for the Federal government,
and in February, 1885, was appointed swamp-land commissioner of
Ohio. These positions he held while engaged in the law^ business at
Eagle Grove, Iowa. He was companionable, g-enerous and enterpris-
ing, but the most remarkable element in his make-up, the one of all
others which arrested public attention, was the tireless activity of
his brain.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 43";



Bailey, Dana Reed, was born in Montg-omery, Vermont, April
27, 1833; was reared on a farm, educated in the district schools,
Bakersfield Academy, Leland Seminary, and Oherlin Colleg-e, Ohio,
where he took a two years' course; taug-ht district schools three
terms, select school six months, and the Beekman school at Saratog"i
Spring-s, New York, one year; commenced the study of law in June,
1856; entered the law office of the late Chief Justice Royce of Ver-
mont in 1857, and the Albany Law school at Albany, N. Y., in 1858,
and was g-raduated in April, 1859. Commenced the practice of law in
May of the same year at Underbill, Vt., removed to Hig^hg-ate, Vt.,
in February, 1860, and practiced law there until September 1, 1864.
While at Higdig-ate was town agent two years, and trustee of the
United States surplus fund two years; was deputy collector of the
United States customs, having- charg-e of the office there three years
and three months; was special ag-ent of the War Department six
months, and in 1863, was appointed secret aid of the United States
Treasury, and held this appointment three years. September 1,
1864, opened a law office at St. Albans, Vt. ; entered into a copartner-
ship with Park Davis, February 3, 1865, and a year later H. C. Adams
was added to the firm. Was deleg-ate to the Republican National
Convention in 1868, and was a member of the State Central Commit-
tee two years; was elected to the office of state's attorney of Frank-
lin county, two terms, and to the State Senate in 1870, and re-elected
in 1872; was chairman of the judiciary committee, and was appointed
chairman of a committee of five, by joint resolution of the legislature,
to investig-ate the Vermont Central Railroad, which investigation
was not concluded until July, 1873. Was one of the school directors
in St. Albans two years. In 1871, laid out and was the proprietor of
the villag-e of Baldwin, in St. Croix county, Wisconsin; built the
Matchless Flouring Mills at that place, and was the owner of three
saw mills, and half owner of two elevators, and for ten years was en-
gag-ed in manufacturing flour and lumber, merchandising- and farm-
ing, and for several years had a large herd of Shorthorns, which in
1877, sold in Chicago for the highest average price of any herd in the
United States that year. Moved to Baldwin in 1874; was president
of the village three years, treasurer one year, and director of the
village schools seven years. In 1877, was nominated for the State
Senate by acclamation by the Republican convention of the Twenty-
fourth Senatorial District of Wisconsin, comprising seven counties,
and received all the votes cast in the county where he resided, ex-
cept 57 out of a total vote of 3,131, the Republican nominee for the
Assembly having only 99 majority in the county; was chairman of
judiciary committee of the Senate in 1879. In 1880, was elected one
of the county commissioners of St. Croix county, was re-elected in
1881, and again in 1882; resigned the chairmanship of the county
board December 19, and arrived in Sioux Falls December 21, 1882,
and had charge of the Nortwestern Mutual Life Insurance Com-
pany's business in South Dakota until March, 1884. On the 11th day
of March of that year opened a law office in the Masonic Temple, and
was the first tenant to occupy that building. In January, 1886,
formed a copartnership with Park Davis, and W. H. Lyon was added



438 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



to the firm in 1888. Was city attorney from 1885 to 1889; on the 21st
day of Aug-ust, 1890, upon the resio-nation of C. O. Bailey, was ap-
pointed state's attorney for Minnehaha county, and by subsequent
elections held the office \tntil 1895, since which time he has practic-
ed law. In territorial davs was a member for two years of the Re-
])u1)lican Central Committee, and in 1895-6 was a member of the State
Aw-ricultural Board.

Baker, William L., was born in Madison county, N. Y., April
9, 1860; was educated in the public and normal schools, and was grad-
uated from the Rochester University, Rochester, N. Y., in 1885;
came to Sioux Falls in the fall of 188d, spent the winter in Chicaofo,
returned the following- spring-, and was employed for one year and a
half in the German Loan & Trust Company's office; from October,
1887, until January, 1889, was cashier of the First National Bank of
Parker, in Turner county; in January, 1889, became cashier of the
Minnehaha National Bank of Sioux Falls, which position he still
holds. Mr. Baker is a social g-entleman and has a larg-e circle of
friends. He belong-s to the Masonic orders in the city, and has been
honored with official positions by the bodies to which he belong-s.
He is a kind, oblig-ing- neig-hbor, and an esteemed citizen.

Barrett, Charles, is a native of Mayo county, Ireland, and
was born in 1842. He emigrated with his parents to the United
States in 1848, and lived in Buffalo, New York, until 1850, when they
removed to Wheeling-, Virg-inia, where they remained until in 1856,
and then removed to Freeport, Illinois. He attended school and
acquired a fair business education at that place. In September,
1861, he enlisted in the 46th Illinois reg-iment and went to the front.
At the g-reat battle of Shiloh he was seriously wounded in his hip and
so disabled that he was discharg-ed from the service; the bullet which
disabled him not being- removed until six years and seven months
later. He went back to his old home and resided there until in 1878,
when he came to Sioux Falls and eng-ag-ed in the real estate business,
and soon became known far and wide as the "Great Locator." He
engaged in farming- in McCook county for awhile, but believing- in
the future success of Sioux Falls sold out his farm and returned to
the real estate business at this place where he has ever since re-
mained. He owns much valuable real estate, and has built a larg-e
number of buildings in the city, and has devoted his whole time and
attention to its improvement. Mr. Barrett is a Mason, and a Noble
of the Mystic Shrine; has been Commander of Joe Hooker Post No.
10 G. A. R., is a prominent Odd Fellow, and a g-entleman who is



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 47 of 99)