Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 49 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 49 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

1861. He removed with his parents to Wisconsin in 1867, where he
attended school and worked on a farm until 1881. At that time he
was employed as salesman by a machinery house for two years, oper-
ating in South Dakota the second year. In 1883 went into the farm
machinery business on his own account at Groton, S. D., in which
business he still continues at that point. From 1885-90 served as
member of the cit}^ council or mayor of the city of Groton. In 1894
was elected chairman of the central committee of the Democratic
party of South Dakota, and re-elected in 1898. In 1896 moved to
Sioux Falls, and in April, 1899, was elected warden of the South
Dakota penitentiary, and assumed the duties of this office in May
following. Mr. Bowler is a genial good fellow, a good citizen, an
astute politician, and has a wide circle of acquaintances.

BoYCE, Frank L., was a native of Dane county, Wisconsin, and
was born March 7, 1854. He worked on a farm and attended district
school until fourteen years of age, when he entered the University
of Madison, Wisconsin, where he took a complete collegiate course
and was graduated in 1873. Immediately thereafter he entered the
law department of this university, from which he graduated in 1874,
and on the 20th day of June of that year was admitted to the bar bv
the supreme court of Wisconsin. He then entered the law^ office of
Baker, Buell & Wait of Chicago, where he remained until Septem-
ber, 1875, when he was admitted upon examination by the supreme
court of Illinois to practice law in that state, which practice he pur-
sued in Chicago until May, 1878. At that time he went to Sioux

Frank L. Boycp:



Palls on a visit, remaining- there about a month, and was so well
pleased with Dakota and its future prospects that he concluded to
make Sioux Palls his future home. He returned to Chicag-o, finished
up his business there and removed to Sioux Palls and opened a law-
office the October followino-. In March, 1879, he formed a copartner-
ship with John Bippus for the practice of kuv under the firm name
of Bippus & Boyce, which partnership continued until Aug-ust, 1881.
He then practiced by himself until late in the year of 1883, when he
took his brother Jesse W. Boyce in with him under the firm name of
Boyce & Boyce. In the spring- of 1884 the firm of Boyce, Noyes &
Boyce was established, w^hich continued until January, 1886, when
T. W. Noyes removed to Washing-ton, D. C. In 1879, Mr. Boyce
was elected secretary of the Board of Education, and in 1883 was
elected alderman from the third ward. In 1894 he was elected sen-
ator from Minnehaha county upon the Republican ticket.

He is know^n as a most studious, painstaking-, conservative lawyer,
and has been connected in his professional capacity with some of the
most important cases that have occupied the attention of the courts
of the state. His firm has had in charg-e the leg-al business of the
B., C. R. & N. railroad at this place from the time it was built into
Sioux Palls, and also that of the Northwestern Packing- Companv.
As an official no one in the city has a more enviable reputation. In the
performance of his senatorial duties in the leg-islature of 1895, he was
noted as being- the most industrious member of that body, and no
member broug-ht to the discharg-e of his duties a more careful, con-
scientious reg-ard for the welfare of the state than Prank !>. Boyce
of Sioux Palls. A man of this character is always a g-ood neig-hbor
and a respected citizen, and nothing- g-ood could be said of him in
this respect that would not receive the unanimous indorsement of
his wide circle of acquaintances.

The foreg-oing- sketch was written in 1895. During- the summer
of 1896, Mr. Boyce, being- in feeble health, went to his old home in
Wisconsin to visit his friends and take a much needed rest for a few
w^eeks. Instead of recuperating-, he became more enfeebled and on
the 19th day of December, 1896, he died at the home of his parents.
His remains were broug-ht to Sioux Palls and interred in Mount
Pleasant cemetery. Not only the leg-al fraternity with whom he had
so long- been associated, but all who knew^ him, sincerely mourned
his death.

Boyce, Jesse W., is a native of Wisconsin and was born De-
cember 19, 1859. He attended school and worked on his father's
farm during- his youth. Arriving- at more mature ag-e he entered
the Universitv at Madison, Wisconsin, where he remained three
years, leaving- colleg-e at the end of the sophomore year. He then
read law in the office of J. H. Carpenter at Madison a little over a
year, and then took a year's course in the law department of the
University. In 1881, he came to Sioux Palls and immediately upon
his arrival was admitted to the bar and entered into a copartnership
with his brother Prank. In 1884, when Mr. Noyes was added to the
firm, Mr. Boyce went to the Boston Law University, where he took
the three vears' course in one vear, and was one of seven of ninety


students who g-raduated with honors. In June, 1885, he took his de-
o-ree from the law department in Madison University, and then re-
turned to Sioux Palls and resumed the practice of law with his
brother. Jesse Boyce was not only a partner in the law firm of
Boyce & Bovce, but shared with his elder brother Prank in the esti-
mation of the leg-al profession in all the commendations w^hich were
freely bestowed upon and so well merited by the firm. Since the
death of his brother Prank in December, 1896, he has continued in
the practice by himself. In March, 1893, he married Miss Etta A.
Estev, a lady of high social accomplishments and rare musical attain-
ments, and his home life is exceptionally happy. Genial, honest and
enterprising- he makes a g-ood citizen.

BoYCt:, Willis C, was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, Sep-
tember 16, 1851, He worked on a farm and attended school during-
his boyhood, and took a two-years' course in the Madison University,
after which he g-raduated from the Northwestern Commercial Col-
leg"e at Madison, Wis. He then worked on his father's farm until
23 years of ag-e, when he rented and worked the farm for three
years. In September, 1878, he came to Sioux Palls and entered into
a copartnership with Daniel Scott in the feed and fuel business.
This partnership continued for one year, when Mr. Scott retired and
H. A. Pairbank took his place in the business for two years and a
half. After this Mr. Boyce carried on the business for a short time
and then took in W. H. Bryan as a partner for a little over two
years, when Mr. Bryan retired and Mr. Boyce continued the busi-
ness until in 1884, at which time he sold out and boug-ht a farm a
short distance west of the city for $3,235. In 1889, he sold the farm
for $24,000, and bought the McGarraug-h stone quarry and a half in-
terest in the North Sioux Palls quarries; the former of which he
operated three years and the latter about one year. In 1892, he be-
came state ag-ent for South Dakota of the Aetna Life Insurance com-
pany, and in 1894 became the district ag-ent for the two Dakotas of
the Mutual Life Insurance company of New York, and in 1895 re-
moved to Pargo, N. D., to pursue this business.

Mr. Boyce w^hile in Sioux Palls was active in promoting- ag-ricul-
tural fairs and expositions, and was marshal of the first territorial
fair held at Huron. While upon the farm he bought some very fine
stock, both horses and cattle. He brought the first high-bred Short-
horns to this county, and he is entitled to a great deal of credit for
his enterprise in this direction, as this locality has been greatl\ bene-
fitted by it. He was always a good neighbor and citizen.

Brace, George H., was born in Orleans county. New York, on
the 26th day of July, 1838. He was educated in the public schools,
and when twenty-one years of age entered the mercantile business
in his native county, and remained there in business until he re-
moved to Sioux Palls, where he arrived on the 23d day of May, 1885.
He at once received the presidency of the Dakota National Bank at
this place, and remained its president until December 21, 1886.
Since then he has been engaged in the loan and real estate business,
and has large real estate interests. Mr. Brace is an active business


man, with no political aspirations, an uprij^-ht citizen, a o-ood neigh-
bor, and has a larg'e circle of friends.

BratruI), Christin C, was born at Chatliehl, Fillmore county,
Minn., December 27, 1855; was reared on a farm and educated in the
public schools. When 23 A^ears old went to Nebraska and remained
one year, and then was employed in Sioux City four years. In 1883,
went to Hamlin county, Dakota, and bouo-ht griun at Estelline four
years, and was eng'ag-ed in the real estate business at Bryant eig-ht
years and moved to Sioux Palls in 189(), and is eng-ao-ed in the real
estate business there. He is not much of a political aspirant. He de-
clined the nomination of state senator and county treasurer while in
Hamlin county; belong-s to the Masons, Odd Fellows and the A. ().
U. W., and has during- the short time he has resided in Sioux Falls
become known as an enterprising-, uprig-ht citizen.

Bridge, Mark, was born in Berry, Lancashire, England, Octo-
ber 7, 1857, emig-rated with his parents to Winneshiek county, Iowa,
in 186+, where he attended school and worked in his father's brick
yard until eig-hteen years old; then worked on a farm two 3^ears; came
to Sioux Palls on the 20th day of April, 1878, and from that time until
1888, was eng"ag-ed in various employments, at one time operating- a
larg-e farm and raising- Holstein cattle; eng-agfed in the livery busi-
ness for several years, and in November, 18%, leased the Commer-
cial Hotel in the city of Sioux Palls, and has since been the propri-
etor. In 1885, was elected alderman from the Pirst ward, and by re-
elections held this office until May, 1890; in 1892, was ag-ain elected,
and re-elected in 1899, holding»- this office nine years. He org-anized
Hose Company No. 1, the first hose company in the county and was
made its foreman; was also chief of the fire department two years.
He never secured an election without a contest, but in some way has
manag-ed to defeat some of the best men in his ward, which settles
the fact that he has considerable sagacity and streng-th, and is a fac-
tor in local politics not to be ignored. He is a popular landlord, and
has a wide circle of acquaintances.

Brockway, Charles L., was born in Homer, Cortland county.
New York, Julv 6, 1850, and came West with his parents in 1857,
locating- at Whitewater, Wisconsin. He attended the common schools
and the University of Madison, and graduated from the state Normal
school. In 1872, went to Kansas, where he was admitted to the bar.
In 1883, removed to Sioux Palls, and eng-ag-ed in the practice of law.
In 1890, was appointed city attorney and reappointed in 1891, and
served the city in that capacity until May, 1892. In 1898, was a mem-
ber of the state senate, and was one of the most influential members
of that body. In 1896, was nominated by the Republican party of
Minnehaha county for the senate, but, like all others on that ticket,
was defeated. He is at the present time receiver of the land office
at Chamberlain, S. D. Mr. Brockway is well informed upon all the
public questions of the day, and is one of the most effective speakers
in the state. He has a host of friends and is hig-hly respected as a


Brookings, Wilmot W., was born in AVoolwich, Maine, Octo-
ber 23, 1830. His father was of English descent, and his ancestors
came over in the early settlement of the Colonies. His great grand-
father was killed in the British service while repelling- an attack made
by the French and Indians on the fort of Phipps Neck, Woolwich,
Maine, in 1858. His mother, Susannah Bailey, was of Scotch and
Hugenot descent.

His earlv bovhood was passed on the farm, with the exception of
several short fishing and sea voyages. In 1850, he determined on a
college course and in 1851 was admitted to Bowdoin college, and
graduated in 1855, supporting himself largely by teaching during
the annual vacations. After graduating and while reading law with
Hon. W. P. Fessenden of Portland, Maine, he taught at the Litch-
field Institute, North Anson Academy and Wiscasset high school,
each one term. In May, 1857, he was admitted to the bar in Port-
land. The June following he started for the West, and on the 27th
day of August, 1857, reached Sioux Falls, then a part of Minnesota
Territory, with only nine white persons in all the country now con-
stituting the two Dakotas.

Soon after his arrival, a county was organized and the subject of
this sketch was appointed district attorney. In 1859, he was elected
a member and X3resident of the council of the People's Legislature
of Dakota, and by the same legislature, appointed governor. In
1861, was elected to the council oi the Dakota legislature from the
first district for two years; to the house of representatives from
Yankton county for three successive terms, 1863-4-5, and was
speaker in 1864; was appointed in 1865 to the super intendency of a
United States military wagon road from Minnesota to Montana; in
1866, was nominated for Congress by the anti-Johnson branch of the
Republican party; was elected member of the council from Yankton
county in 1867 for two years; elected president of the council in 1868;
served as district attorney for Yankton county in 1867-8. In March,
1869, was married to Clara A. Carney, daughter of Capt. William
Carney of Dresden, Maine. In April, 1869, was appointed by Pres-
ident Grant associate justice of the supreme court of Dakota for four
years, and served until 1873; was a member of the constitutional con-
ventions of 1883 and 1885 from Minnehaha county. He was the most
prominent organizer of the Dakota Southern Railroad in 1871 — the
first railroad to enter Dakota — and was either president, vice presi-
dent or solicitor for more than ten years of the Dakota Southern,
Sioux City & Pembina, and the Sioux City and Dakota railroad, now
part of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul system. Published the
Sioux Falls Leader in 1883-5. In 1889, the Minnehaha Canning-
Factory was built. He was the principal owner, and was president
of the company organized to conduct the business. He was pro-
moter of the Sioux Falls Linen Mills, and one of its directors; organ-
ized the Minnehaha Trust Company, of which he was president, and
\yas for some years a director in the Sioux Falls National Bank, Na-
tional Reality Company and the Safe Deposit Company.

October 15, 18(y2, he pre-empted the northwest quarter of section
16, township 101, range 49, the first land ever entered from the gov-
ernment in Dakota.

History of minnehaha county 4()')

The activity and enterprise of Jiid^-e Brookino-s need no com-
ments, and the various oflicial positions he has held politicallv and in
connection with enterprises looking- to the development of South
Dakota vouch for his ability and integ-rity. He is not only zealous in
w hatever he undertakes, but is a man of resource and courag-e. He
was "in at the beg-inning-" and has suffered more than ordinarilv
falls to the lot of the pioneer, and no person who is acquainted with
Judg-e Brookings and his active work in behalf of the city of Sioux
Palls and South Dakota can for a moment do otherwise than remem-
ber him kindly, and hope that he may yet reap a rich harvest From
his many enterprises.

Broughton, Cass, was born in Wayne county, New York,
March 13, 1844. He attended school and worked on a farm until
sixteen years old, then eng-ag-ed in railroad work seven years, and in
carpenter work until 1870, when he came West. He reached Sioux
Falls on the 23d day of January of that year, and the May following-,
his family arrived. He then opened a boarding- house in the old
stone building- previously occupied by the surg-eon who had been
stationed there with the soldiers. The building- was then owned by
his brother Ed. Broug-hton. On the 30th day of January, 1870, he
took up a farm in sections thirty and thirty-one in Sioux Falls
township, where he resided most of the time until 1889, when he
moved into the city of Sioux Falls. While a resident of the town-
ship he held school and township offices, and made a g-ood official.
He is a respected citizen.

Brown, Emmett J., was born in Saline, July 25, 1848. He was
reared on a farm, and received a common school education during- his
early youth, and at the ag-e of sixteen years g-raduated from the hig-h
school at Ypsilanti, Mich. In 1865 he removed to Shakopee, Minn.,
and for a short time was employed in a bank, and then went into the
g-rocery business. On the 28th day of March, 1878, he came to Sioux
Falls and opened a g-rocery store, and also a photog-raph gallery on
Phillips avenue. In 1881 he went to Brooking-s county and took up a
homestead and lived there four years. He then returned to Sioux
Falls, where he has since been engag-ed principally in the real estate
business. Mr. Brown is a respected citizen.

Brown, Gustavus, was born in Og^densburg-, New York, Octo-
ber 22, 1852; g-raduated from the city hig-h school, and from the Bry-
ant & Stratton commercial colleg-e; was then employed as cashier in
the Og-densburg- & Champlain Railroad Company's office, and from
1872 to 1876 held the same position in the office of the Northern Pa-
cific railroad at Duluth, Minn., was station ag-ent at Hamburg-, Iowa,
and Kenton, Ohio, three years; came to Sioux Falls February 28,
1879, and was in the employ of the Phoenix Insurance Company, and
the Omaha R. R. Co., until 1882, when he became the ag-ent of the
U. S. Express Co., and remained in its employ until 1890, since
which time he has been bookkeeper for the Hickey and McNamara
Mercantile Co. Mr. Brown has always been an efficient, capable man
in his work, and has a larg-e circle of friends.


Brown, Dr. Samuel Augustine, washorn in North Carolina, June
25, 1848; was reared on a plantation, and attended the common schools,
and the Marion hig-h school. In February, 1867, commenced the
study of medicine, and was g-raduated from the Jefferson Medical
Colleo-e at Philadelphia in the spring- of 1871; took a special course,
and was examined and admitted into the United States navy as as-
sistant surgeon; was assig-ned to duty in the navy hospital at Nor-
folk for six months, and then on board the Marion a short time, the
Powhattan eig-hteen months, and the Kansas eig-hteen months, and
was on board this ship when it sailed into the harbor at Santiag-o de
Cuba and demanded the prisoners taken from the Virginia, with
notice that the cit}^ would be bombarded in two hours if the request
was not complied with; was then in the hospital at Philadelphia eig-h-
teen months, and from there was transferred to the Pacific station;
w^as aboard the Independence at Mare Island tw^o years and a half,
and was also surg-eon of the Pensacola hospital in Florida, and re-
mained there six months, when he removed to Dakota, and located at
Sioux Falls Aug-ust 28, 1882, where he has since resided, practicing-
his profession; has been city health officer two terms, superintendent
of Minnehaha County Board of Health two years; and on November
27, 1887, formed a copartnership with Dr. A. H. Tufts, which part-
nership still exists. He has attained a hig-h rank in his profession,
and the firm of Brown & Tufts gets its full share of professional
business. Dr. Brow^n has been advanced to the thirty-second deg-ree
in Masonry, is of g-enial temperament, is a respected citizen, and has
a large circle of friends.

Brown, Samuel Lewis, was born in Genesee county. New York,
January 23, 1853. He was reared on a farm, and during his youth
attended the common and hig-h schools. At the age of twenty years
went to Oreg-on, Illinois, where he entered a Normal school to fit him-
self for teaching. The year following- commenced active work as
teacher in the town of Bonus, Boone county, Illinois. In 1875, was
elected principal of the schools in Union, and two years later held
the same position in Capron, Illinois. Remained in Illinois until he
removed to Sioux Falls in 1889. During the entire time of his resi-
dence in that state he was engaged in teaching-, and established for
himself a high reputation as a successful educator. The first year
after his coming to Sioux Falls he became a teacher in the high
school, and in 1890 was elected assistant principal of the city schools,
which position he occupied until he resigned in 1893, to take charg-e
of the Normal institute (which has since then merged into the Dakota
Normal College.) At the expiration of two vears he resigned, to
accept the chair of Mathematics and Pedagogics in the Sioux Falls
University, which position he held until July, 1897. During the
summer vacations for several years past, he has been engaged either
as instructor or conductor in a number of county institutes, and has
become widely and favorably known throughoutthe state. He is al-
ways a gentleman, and an exemplary citizen.

Brown, The^ron G., was born at Ithaca, New York, on the 21st
day of March, 1856. He was educated in the common schools, and

P^ ^ w

Thomas H. Brown.

History of minnehaha county 473

o-raduated from the hio-h school in Rochester, Minnesota. He also
took a most thoroug-h course in shorthand. In Aug-ust, 1879, he came
to Sioux Palls, and in October of that year commenced work as of-
ficial reporter of the courts in the fourth judical district of the Ter-
ritory of Dakota. At that time Judg-e Kidder was presiding- judg-ein
that district, and Mr. Brown remained with him until he died. He
was reappointed by Judg-e Palmer, and held the position until 1888,
when he resig-ned. He was the first reporter in the district, and did
the first work in Lincoln, Clay and Union counties without compen-
sation. In 1879 the legfislature fixed the compensation for court re-
porters, and from that time he received pay for his work. In 1888
he went to Flandreau, Moody county, and was eng-ag-ed in the County
Bank of that place for one year. He then returned to Sioux Palls
and became the secretary of the city school board and of the Mutual
Aid Building- & Loan Association, and was also connected with the
Co-operative Savingfs & Loan Association for several years. He was
employed as stenographer by the county court and w^as deputy clerk
of the county and circuit courts from 1893, to January, 1897. On the
2d day of Aug-ust, 1897, he was appointed city auditor of the city of
Sioux Palls. In June, 1899, he removed to Howard, S. D. 'Mr.
Brown is a g-enial g-ood fellow, active in political matters, and an
esteemed citizen.

Brown, Thomas H., was born in Portabello, Durham countv,
Eng-land, Aug-ust 17, 1837. In 1848 he came to the United States
with his parents, who settled in Wisconsin. Until the breaking- out
of the war of the rebellion he was eng-aged in farming- and mining-.
In 1861, he enlisted in Co. I, Third Wisconsin Infantry, and served
until Aug-ust, 1865. After the war he w-ent to Montana, where for a
year and a half he eng-aged in mining. He then w^ent to Brodhead, Wis.,
and engaged in the hardware business. In 1867 he was married to
Miss Mary Morse. In 1872, he came to Sioux Palls, and moved into
the first frame dwelling house built at that place, which w-as located
where his present residence now stands, on the corner of Phillips
avenue and Twelfth street. The next spring he entered into a co-
partnership wdth B. P. Roderick in the lumber business, but during
the year following retired from the firm, and boug-ht a half interest
in the business of Nye Phillips, who was dealing- in hardware, drug-s,
and leather. This firm w^as in existence about five years. He was
then employed by the Northwestern railroad company in obtaining
the right-of-way and locating- town sites on the Dakota Central. In
1888, he bought the job office and bookbinding- plant of Sam T. Clo-
ver, and when the effects of the Insurance Company of the Dakota
were disposed of by its receiver, he purchased the printing outfit.
May 1, 1889, he took into the business Eugene Saenger, and the firm
of Brown & Saenger has now the largest and most complete book-
binding and printing establishment in the state.

Mr. Brown since coming to Sioux Falls, has been active in Ma-
sonic matters. He organized the first lodge in the county, and was

Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 49 of 99)