Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 50 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 50 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


its Master the first three years. He was the first Grand Master of
the Grand Lodge in the Territory of Dakota, and a few years later
was again elected to this office. He has taken an active part in edu-



474 HtSTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



cational matters, and was president and meml)er of the school hoard
for several years. He took a prominent part in securing- for Sioux
Palls the B.,C. R. & N. railroad, and has been a director of the com-
pany since that time. He was one of the South Dakota Commission-
ers at the World's Pair in 1893, and was the executive officer of the
commission. It is needless to add anything- to the foreg-oing- record
to establish the fact that Mr. Brown is a prominent man of affairs,
and takes g-reat interest in the welfare of South Dakota in g-eneral,
and Sioux Falls in particular.

Brown, Mrs. Mary, came to Sioux Palls with her husband,
Thomas H. Brown, in 1872. Her first home was not in the barracks,
but on the contrary she resided in the first frame house built in the
little hamlet. Mrs. Brown is prominent in social matters, and is
well known throughout the state, especially among- the members of
the Eastern Star and the Woman's Relief Corps, in which org-aniza-
tions she has held high official positions. During- the World's Pair
at Chicago, she made her home at the South Dakota building-, and
contributed largely to the comfort and entertainment of its visitors.

Rev. W. Howells Buchanan, D. D., was born at Florence,
Penns3dvania, in 1829; fitted for and entered Jefferson College, and
was a student there until the close of his sophomore year, then at-
tended the Miami University, Ohio, until the close of his junior year,
and was graduated from Monmouth College, Illinois, receiving the
degree of A. B. The next two years was principal of the public
schools at Mount Vernon, Ohio; studied theology in Oxford, Ohio,
and Monmouth, 111., and was licensed to preach in the Presbyterian
church in 1859. He built the Pirst Presbyterian church at Elvaston,
111., the Westminster Presbyterian church in St. Louis, Mo., and
the Madison Square Presbyterian church in San Antonio, Texas;
has been a member of the Presbytery of New York City and Boston,
and during the past three years of the Presbytery of South Dakota.
In 1889, received the degree of D. D. from the trustees of Richmond
College, Ohio, of which the Rev. Dr. G. W. McMillan is president.
During the past three yeais he has been City Missionary in Sioux
Palls, and is known as an exemplary, earnest Christian worker.

Buchanan, Robert, the subject of this sketch was born in Glas-
gow, Scotland, on the 26th day of March, 1836. He emigrated to
Canada in 1842, where he resided until 1863. He graduated from
the Canadian University at Toronto. In 1863, he came to Appleton,
AVisconsin, and commenced the publication of a newspaper called
The Post, which he conducted for several years. He then went to
Michigan, but was soon after burned out and lost all his propertv.
In 1869 he went to Cherokee, Iowa, and started a newspaper called
The Cherokee Times. His outfit was small, and so was the town,
but as Cherokee increased its population and commercial importance,
the Times' plant also prospered. In short, he made a business suc-
cess of the enterprise. In 1875 he sold out the Times and came to
Sioux Palls, and on the 21st day of February, 1876, purchased the
Sioux Palls Pantagraph, and took an active part during the cam-
paign which started a bitter factional fight in local politics. But




Mrs. T. H. Brown.




Robert Buchanan.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY^ 479



Mr. Buchanan did not remain lony- in Sioux Palls, as his Cherokee
sale fell throug-h, and he returned there and af>-ain took charjj-e of the
Times until 18cS4, when he boug-ht the (Tazette at Davenport, Iowa.
In May, 1886, he came to Sioux Palls and boug-ht the Leader, which
he published for two years, and then sold the plant to W. W. (lod-
dard. The Leader was consolidated with the Aro-us, as the Aro-us-
Leader, and for a short time Mr. Buchanan had charo-e of the edi-
torial columns. After severinjj- his connection with this paper, he
eng-ag-ed in the real estate business for several years in connection
with his son-in-law, J. H.Gray. In 18%, he was elected to the leg-is-
lature from this county, and was the caucus nominee of the Republi-
can party for speaker, but the Republicans needed one more vote
than they had, to secure his election. During^ that session of the
leg-islature he was the acknowledg-ed leader of the house. In 18*)3,
he commenced the publication of the South Dakota State Porum, and
ccMitinued to do so until his death, which occurred on the 22d day of
June, 1895.

Mr. Buchanan was in many respects a remarkable man. As a
journalist he was well equipped, and the editorial columns of his
paper bristled with sarcasm, wit, invectives or log-ic, as suited him
best. He took an active part in politics and was a strong-, sag-acious
political manag-er, and broug-ht g-reat zeal and energ-y to his political
work. In brief, he was a strong- man, an enterprisintr citizen, and
had a host of admirers and friends who profoundly reg-retted his
death. Such men as Robert Buchanan are rare in communities of
much larg-er size than Sioux Palls, and it is only recording- what was
remarked by every one at the time of his decease, that Sioux Palls
had lost one of her most valued citizens.

Buchanan, Ceylon W., was born in Tuckersmith, Upper
Canada, November 23, 1865. He was educated in the public schools
and g-raduated from the Bryant and Stratton business colleg-e at
Chicag-o. He is a son of the late Robert Buchanan, and resided with
his parents until he was twenty-one years old. His first business
venture was in connection with his brother William. They estab-
lished a Democratic new^spaper at Luverne, Minnesota, and published
it three years. In 1888, he was employed as mail agfent on the Cedar
Rapids and Watertown route, and remained in that jDosition for
nearly a year. Prom there he went to Oreg-on and worked on a
newspaper about a year, and then returned to Dakota, worked in a
real estate office at Pierre for awhile and was clerk in the county
treasurer's office in Sioux Palls about one year. Upon the estab-
lishment of the South Dakota State Porum by his father he became
connected with it, and upon the decease of his father, entered into
copartnership with his brother Fred, and published the Porum until
the latter part of July, 1896. He was the business manag-er, and it
was this firm that established the first pjitent auxiliary house in
Sioux Palls for furnishing- ready prints.

Buchanan, Prederick, was born at Cherokee, Iowa, July,
23, 1872. He received his education in the schools at Cherokee and
Sioux Palls, and completed the same in the State University at Ver-



480 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



million, South Dakota. After this he eng-aged in newspaper work in
Sioux City and Chicag-o, until a short time previous to the decease of
his father, Robert Buchanan, when he became connected with the
Forum, and upon his father's death in June, 1895, entered into co-
partnership with his brother, Ceylon W., under the firm name of
Buchanan Bros., and they continued the publication of the Porum
until about the last of July, 18%, when it was sold to Schwartz &
(irio-sby. Soon after this sale he went to Yankton and commenced
the publication of a daily newspaper, but finding- the field an un-
profitable one discontinued its publication at the end of the presiden-
tial campaig-n. In connection with the Porum plant the Sioux Palls
Printing- Company furnished ready prints in Minnesota, Iowa and
South Dakota. Pred Buchanan is possessed of a g'ood many of the
characteristics of his illustrious sire, especially that of an indomita-
ble will in carrying- out his projects, and we will hazard the predic-
tion that he will be a lively factor in any community where he may
reside.

BuRNSiDE, George Washington, was born in Delaware county,
New York, November 3, 1858. His father w^as a farmer, and remov-
ed to Lynn county, Iowa, in 1871 and, of course, the subject of this
sketch accompanied his parents to their western home. Por three
years he worked on a farm, but at the ag-e of sixteen years he went to
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and commenced work at the mason's trade, and
continued in this business while residing- in Iowa. On the 28th day
of April, 1883, he arrived in Sioux Palls and went to work at his
trade. In 1886-7 he was city marshal. In 1888 he boug-ht out the
l)us line in the city of Sioux Palls and has had control of it since
then. He was elected alderman from the Pifth ward in 1893, and at
the three succeeding- elections was re-elected to the same office. In
1898 he was nominated for Mayor by the Republican party, but was
defeated by the present Mayor Lien by ten votes. He is a vote-g-et-
ter if there is one in the city, but the combination against him was
too strong to overcome. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., the B.
P. O. E. and the Masons, and was at one time Grand Eminent Com-
mander of the Knights Templar of South Dakota. He is a man of
great energy, makes a good official and has a host of friends.

BuscHER, Rev. Gerhard H., was born at Wittlage, Hanover,
Germany, December 30, 1864. His parents, who were hon-
est and well-to-do people, came to this country when he was a small
]K)y. They settled at Beardstown, Illinois, and the subject of this
sketch for eight years attended the common schools of that place.
Being- what they called a "bright and honest" boy it was decided by
his parents that he should study for the ministry, this decision quite
concurring with his own inclination. Consequently in 1880 he went
to Concordia Seminary at Springfield, Illinois, a theological institu-
tion of the Lutheran Synod of Missouri. After two years he went
to Port Wayne, Indiana, where for four years he mainly devoted
himself to the study of ancient languages. Having in 1886 received
the diploma of B. A., he entered Concordia Seminary at St. Louis,
Missouri, where for the next three years he devoted his entire atten-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COLTNTV. 481



tion to the study of theolooy. In 188*) he accepted acrill as pastor of
the German Lutheran Zion's Church of Sioux Palls, which charge
he still occupies. Mr. Buscher is a man of hi<j-h scholarly attain-
ments, an earnest, faithful pastor, and well liked bv his con<»-re<j-a-
tion.

BuTiKOFER, Hermann, was born near Berne, in Switzerland,
September 27, 1862; was educated in the public schools, and took an
academic course. His father was the proprietor of woolen mills, and
had a retail and wholesale dry g-oods house. The subject of this
sketch commenced at the bottom and worked u[) to the top throug-h
all the o-rades of his father's business. Emiu-rated to this countrv
in 1882, arrivintj- at Rediield, this state, December 25, of that vear.
The following- spring- broke twenty-five acres of prairie, eng-ag-ed in
merchandising- for awhile, then visited the old country; returned to
Kedfield and eng-ag-ed -in manufacturing- straw burning- stoves. In
18% went to Mitchell, this state, and started the Sued Dakota Nach-
richten, and published it at that place until May 15, 18%. Com-
menced the publication of the Xachrichten at Sioux Palls January
23, 18%, and soon after moved to this place, where he has since re-
sided. Mr. Butikofer is a good business man and is publishing- a
good newspaper, and is an enterprising, popular citizen.

Byington, Henry Clay, was born in Ontario county, New
York, September 15, 1853; received a common school and academic
education and then clerked in a general store three years; engaged
in raising fruit five years; came to Sioux Palls on the 30th dav of
December, 1882, where he engaged in the grocery business for five
years and then was employed by J. G. Strahon as collector. He took
up a farm in Brow-n county; traveled for B. C. McCrossan, the
wholesale fruit dealer, for three years and then resumed his old po-
sition with Mr. Strahon until June, 1898, when he again opened a
grocery store in Sioux Palls. He is an industrious man, a good
neighbor and a good citizen.

Caldwell, Ernest W., the subject of this sketch, was born
June 13, 1846, at Chesterfield, Pa. He came West with his father
when quite voung and until he w-as eleven years of age attended the
public schools where he resided. On the i2th day of August, 1857,
he began his newspaper career in a newspaper office at Boonsboro,
Iowa. At the age of fourteen years he published the Boonsboro
Times, on shares, at New Boonsboro, Iowa. This partnership
came to an untimely end by reason of one of the partners engag-ing
in a drunken frolic with a circus outfit which was temporarily stop-
ping there. When sixteen years of age he started the Jefferson
City Star at New Boonsboro, for the purpose of printing the tax
list for five counties. This paper was the only one published in
western low^a at that time between Sioux City and Des Moines. At
the expiration of three months, after having completed the tax lists,
he discontinued the publication of the paper and went to Des Moines
and entered the printing office of a daily paper. He remained there
until in 1864 when he enlisted in the 44th Iowa Infantry, and went to
the front and helped clean up the rebellion. After his discharge he



482 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



spent a year in Pennsylvania, then went to Omaha, Neb., and at the
au;-e of twentv-one years was foreman of the Herald job office. In
18()8, he joined a co-operative company in Omaha and assisted in
starting- the Evening- Times, but the enterprise failed in 1869, and
he says he "followed the debris to Sioux City and assisted at the
birth of the first daily newspaper ever published in that metropolis."
He sold his interest in this paper in 1870 and became connected with
the Sioux Citv Journal, where he remained as printer, business man-
ag-er, local reporter and chief editor for eig-ht years. In 1878 he
came to Sioux Palls and in connection with J. P. Stahl purchased the
Pantag-raph, which in 1882 was consolidated with the Times and be-
came the Press. In 1879 he was villag-e clerk of Sioux Palls; was
postmaster from 1883 to 1885, and was appointed territorial auditor
and insurance commissioner of Dakota in 1885, and held these posi-
tions two years.

In 1887 Mr. Caldwell and Charles H. Price were appointed to
compile the territorial laws. He was a member of the constitutional
convention of South Dakota in 1889 and was a member of the joint
commission to adjust the assets and liabilities of the territory be-
tween the states of North and South Dakota. But it is as editor of
the Daily Press that he is best known. It is in this field he
has won his way to the hearts of the people, and no name in the state
is more familiar than that of E. W. Caldwell. His editorials em-
brace almost every topic of the day; sometimes the g-reat questions
of science are discussed; the literary subjects receive his attention;
theolog-y is shaken up; political economy elucidated. In short, the
subjects that come to his editorial pen are too numerous to enumerate.
No line along- which the average mind is accustomed to travel is with-
out Caldwell's .g-uide posts. But the best feature of his editorial
work is the spirit of fairness, g-ood nature and kindliness which ac-
companies his bright and vig-orous style. As a man he is g-enerous,
g-enial and companionable; as a citizen, honest and enterprising-; as
a politician — well, he generally helps to make up the band wagon
train, and is in the driver's seat before the motive power is attached.
He is "Cal" to everybody, rich and poor, old and voung, and what is
more — he is color blind.

Since the foregoing was written Mr. Caldwell has terminated his
connection with the Press and removed to Sioux City, Iowa. In the
Sunday morning's issue of the Sioux Palls Daily Press November
15, 1896, Mr. Caldwell announced that his connection with the Press
as proprietor and editor had ceased and that he was about to remove
from the state. It occasioned great surprise and regret among his
thousands of friends not only in Sioux Palls audits immediate vicinity
but throughout the state. The loss to the city of Sioux Palls was
deeply felt, and the high esteem in which he was held by her citizens
was shown by numerous testimonials by his former employes and or-
ganizations with which he had been connected, and especially by an
elaborate banquet that was tendered him by the Commercial Club of
the city. He is now in editorial charge of the Sioux Citv Journal at
Sioux Citv, Iowa.




E. W. Caldwell.



HISTORY OF xMINNEHAHA COUNTY, 4S5



CAMPiiKLT., B. F., was born at Machias, JVIaine, Octf)l)er 30, 1838,
and died at the city of Sioux Palls June 27, 1898. In 1852, he re-
moved to Aurora, New York, and from there to Aurora, Illinois, in
1856, where he eno"a^'ed in the hardware business until the breaking-
out of the rebellion. He enlisted in the three months' service in the
Seventh Illinois infantry. September 23, 1861, he re-enlisted in
Compan}^ B, Thirty-sixth Illinois to serve three years, and was
mustered in as captain of that company December 10, 1862. He was
made lieutenant colonel of the reg-iment April 25, 1865, promoted to
colonel May 10, and mustered out of the service October 8, 1865. He
was wounded in the rio-ht thigh and taken prisoner at the battle of
Stone River, Tennessee, December 30, 1862; in April, 18()3, he was
paroled, and on the 9th day of May following-, was exchang-ed. On
September 20, 1863, he was ag-ain wounded in the thig-h and body and
taken prisoner in the battle of Chickamauo-a, Ga., and was confined
in Libbey prison until paroled, December 10, 1864. March 20, 1865,
he was exchang-ed. In March, 1868, he removed from Illinois to Ver-
million, in this state, and in May, 1869, was appointed register of the
land office located at that place. In June, 1873, the land office was
removed to Sioux Palls, and Colonel Campbell came with it, and re-
sided there until his death. For the last twenty years he was an
active worker in all the Masonic bodies; he was a charter member of
the El Riad Temple and the Elks lodg-e of Sioux Palls, and was Past
Eminent Commander of Cyrene Commandery No. 2. He was an
esteemed citizen, and held many positions of honor and trust, among-
them that of postmaster of Sioux Palls for nearly five 3^ears; and only
a few days before his death he was elected president of the Minne-
haha National Bank of Sioux Palls. Socially he was the peer of any
man in the state, and in his death Sioux Palls mourns the loss of one
of her best citizens.

Carey, William J., was born in Waukesha county, Wisconsin,
in 1854; was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools.
In 1873, he came to this county and settled in Red Rock, taking- up
as a homestead one hundred and sixty acres in section twenty, where
he resided until he moved into the villag-e of Valle\- Spring's. He was
for a short time eng-ag-ed in the butcher business, then in the ma-
chinery business, and for several years in buying- and shipping- stock.
He now resides at Sioux Palls, engag-ed in the same business. Por
five years he was deputy sheriff under Sheriff Sundback, and re-
ceived the nomination for sheriff from the Republican party in 1892,
but it was a close year for Republicans in Minnehaha county, and
there was a popular independent republican candidate running- for the
same office, and Mr. Carey was defeated at the polls, althoug-h his
vote was surprising-lv larg-e under the circumstances. He has held
various town offices, and was president of the villag-e of Valley
Spring-s in 1895 and 1896. He is a man of integrity, energetic and
enterprising, and justly popular with the people.

Carland, John E., was born in Oswego county, New York,
December 11, 1854. He attended the law school at Ann Arbor,
Michigan, and was admitted to the bar by the supreme court of that



486 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



state in October, 1875. The next two years he spent in the office of
the Hon. John (t. Hawley, a disting-uished lawyer at Detroit. In
Auo-ust, 1877, went to Bismarck, North Dakota, and commenced the
practice of law; was city attorney of that place for about four years,
and also county attorney one year. In April, 1885, was elected
mayor of Bismarck, but, receiving- the appointment of United States
district attorney for the Territory of Dakota, May 23, following-, he
resigned the office of mayor and entered upon the duties of his ap-
pointment; remained district attorney until March, 1888, when he re-
ceived the appointment of associate justice of the supreme court of
the Territory of Dakota. Upon assuming- the duties of this office he
became judge of the fourth judicial district. In April, 1889, he re-
sig-ned this office, and in May following- was elected a member of the
constitutional convention which framed the constitution of North
Dakota; was nominated by his party for president of this convention,
but, as the party was in the minority, he was not elected. In
this convention he took a prominent part, receiving- the appointment
of chairman of the judicial department. After the work of the con-
stitutional convention had been completed, he removed to Sioux
Falls, and entered into a copartnership with T. B. McMartin for the
practice of law, under the firm name of McMartin & Garland, which
continued until the 23d day of September, 1893. After the dissolu-
tion of this firm he practiced by himself, having* in charg-e some of
the most important litig-ation in the state. He was also employed in
some very important cases in the United States courts, and g-ained
some notoriety in obtaining a larg-e verdict in the case of Pullerton
against the Homestake Mining- Company, and more recently was
honored by the appointment of special assistant United States attor-
ney to conduct the case of the United States ag-ainst the Homestake
Mining- Company in which the g-overnment broug-ht suit to recover
seven hundred thousand dollars for the illeg-al cutting- of timber be-
long-ing- to the g-overnment. But before the trial of this important
case was reached he was appointed United States district judg-e for
the district of South Dakota. This appointment so g-ratifying- to the
judg-e and his friends was made on the 3d day of September, 1896.
The members of the bar throug-hout the state cong-ratulated the
judg-e upon his g-ood fortune, and also themselves upon having- se-
cured a federal judg-e in the State of South Dakota in whom all
classes of people have the g-reatest confidence. He is not only a g-ood
lawyer, but has a judicial temperament, and his integ-rity is beyond
question. His official career thus far has met the approbation of all,
and no one reg-rets that Judg-e Carland has a life appointment to an
office he is so well qualified to fill. It only remains to add to his
many other g-ood qualities, that he is a g-enial, kind-hearted man, and
highly esteemed by all who know him.

Carleton, Harry B., was born in Marshfield, Vermont, Octo-
ber 10, 1867. When eig-hteen years of ag-e he came to Sioux Palls
and entered the law office of Boyce & Boyce, where he remained
until 1888. He then spent a year with White & Brown, court re-
porters. Upon the election of Albion Thorne as clerk of the courts,
Harry was appointed deputy clerk, and held this place during- Mr.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY, 48*;



Thome's administration of four years. In 1894, he received the
republican nomination for clerk of the courts, and ran about three
hundred votes ahead of his ticket. His conduct of the office was so
satisfactory that at the republican county convention in 18% he re-
ceived a renomination b\' acclamation, but was defeated at the elec-
tion with the rest of his comrades on the ticket. At the expiration
of his term of office he entered into a copartnership with Judg-e Par-
liman for the practice of law, but after a few months abandoned the
profession, and accepted a good position with a lartre business house in
Chicago where he now resides.

Carleton, Jerry, was born at Montpelier, Vermont, October
10, 1865. He attended school andworked on a farm until he removed
to Dakota. He arrived in Sioux Palls, May 13, 1882, and was em-
plo3'ed as express messeng-er between Tracy, Minn., and Pierre, Da-
kota, until the March following-, at which time he returned to Sioux
Falls and entered the American Express office, where he remained
several months. In November, 1882, he boug-ht an interest in the
Peterson meat market, and continued in this business until Januarv



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 50 of 99)