Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 51 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 51 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1, 1890, when he sold out and eng-ag-ed in farming- three years. Dur-
ing- 1894 and 1895 he was employed in the county treasurer's office of
this county. On the 1st day of October, 1897, he was appointed chief
deputy United States marshal under Marshal Kennedy. He has been
a ver}' active member of the Sioux Palls fire department for several
years, and has been its chief. Jerry is well known in political circles
and could be removed from his present office of marshal by an ad-
verse administration for pernicious activity in politics under the civil
service rule. A trial would not be necessary as he would plead guiltv.
However, he makes a careful, painstaking- official, and has a host of
friends.

Carr, Willard p., is a native of Ashfield, Pranklin county,
Massachusetts, and was born Aug-ust 4, 1834. Until seventeen years
of ag-e he attended school and worked on a farm, and then commenced
clerking- in a store at Conneaut, Ashtabula county, Ohio, where he
remained one year, and then went to Cleveland, Ohio, following- the
same occupation until the spring of 1855. He then went to New Lis-
bon, Wisconsin, and entered into a copartnership in the mercantile
business with a brother-in-law under the firm name of Surdam &
Carr. This firm was dissolved at the end of four years, and Mr.
Carr continued in trade twelve years longer at the same place. He
was city treasurer of Lisbon for four years. In 1871 he removed to
Vermillion, Dakota, and engaged in business as a merchant for nine
years and came to Sioux Falls, August 13, 1882. He had been suc-
cessful in business, and after having taken up his residence in Sioux
Palls he engaged in loaning money. He was appointed postmaster
of Sioux Falls by President Cleveland in 1885, and held this office the
full term of four years. In 1892 he removed to River Falls, Wiscon-
sin, and in connection with Nelson B. Bailey started the Farmers
and Merchants bank at that place, of which he was president. Mr.
Carr about the same time started another bank in Wisconsin, which
is managed by his son-in-law.



488 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Mr. Carr has always been known as a o-ootl lousiness man and re-
liable citizen. Notwithstanding- his residence in Wisconsin he has
retained a laro-e and valuable property in Sioux Palls, and upon the
assessment roll in the amount of taxes set ag-ainst his name he is
nearer the head of the list than he is alphabetically.

Carter, Jervis W., was born in Benson, Rutland county, Ver-
mont, May 18, 1830. His father was a merchant, and the subject of
this sketch attended the public schools, and fitted for entering- the
sophomore class in colleg-e at Castleton seminary, Castleton, Vt.
When twenty years old he went to Milwaukee, Wis., where he was
employed in "the office of the clerk of the circuit court for two years.
He then removed to Watertown, Wis., where he taug-ht school three
years. He next engaged for one year in the newspaper business in
Portag-e county. Wis., and published a republican newspaper during-
the Fremont campaig-n. After the election he entered the law office
of Sloan & Lander, at Beaver Dam, and after being- admitted to the
•bar, practiced law in New London and Waupaca, and was elected
county attorney four terms and was a member of the leg-islature one
term. From Wisconsin he removed to Gag-e county, Neb., where he
was judg-e of probate two terms. In 1885 he came to Dakota, re-
mained at Yankton a few months, and then located at Canton, in Lin-
coln county, where he practiced law until 1890. While a resident of
Canton he was county attorney six years, and district attorney of
the fourth judicial district four years. In 1800 he removed to Pierre
and was in the land office at that place four years. During- the last
six months of (xovernor Sheldon's administration, he was his private
secretary. In March, 1806, he removed to Sioux Falls, where he now
resides. Judge Carter is a good lawyer, was a successful prose-
cutor, is a g'enial g-entleman, a hig-hly respected citizen, and has a
host of friends.

Cashman, Leonard, was born in Clinton county, N. Y,, Feb-
ruary 27, 1858. When fifteen years of ag-e he commenced railroad-
ing, but two years later eng^ag-ed in carpenter work, and at twenty
years of age went to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and learned the mill-
wrig-ht's trade. October 22, 1880, he came to Sioux Falls, and worked
for about two years at the Oueen Bee mill. The next seven years he
had a carpenter shop in Sioux Falls, and carried on a farm, and since
then has been eng-ag-ed as a traveling- salesman and collector. Mr.
Cashman is an active, enterprising- citizen.

Cherry, U. S. G., was born near Belief ontaine, Ohio. He at-
tended the district school when a lad, and completed his education at
the Ohio Normal University at Ada, where he was g-raduated in 1895.
He then entered the law office of Judg-e West "The Blind Orator of
Ohio" where he remained one year. From there he went to the
Columbian Law^ School at Washing-ton, D. C, where he was gradu-
ated in 1887, receiving- the first prize for leg-al essay. On the first
day of December, 1887, came to Dakota, and on the 21st day of Feb-
ruary, followMng-, commenced the practice of law at Sioux Falls. In
1892, he was elected Grand Chancellor of the Knights of Pythias of
South Dakota. Mr. Cherry is a hard worker and a good lawyer and




U. S. G. Cherry,



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 4')1



has a remunerative practice. He is quite active in politics, and
being- a g-ood speaker and well informed, his services are in demand
during- political campaig-ns. Until lcS*)0 he was a republican, but
after the adoption of the platform at St. Louis by the Republican
party that vear, he became a Silver Republican, assisted in org'aniz-
ing- the Silver Republican party in South Dakota, and became the
chairman of the state executive committee, which position he still
holds.

Christopherson, Anton, is a native of Norway, and was born
March 16, 1854. In 1868, he emig-rated to Albert Lea, Minnesota,
and remained there on a farm until 1882, when he went to Grand
Forks, North Dakota, and in company with Peter J. Morstad went
into the clothing- trade. On the 25th day of April, 1883, the firm re-
moved to Sioux Palls, where it has been doing- a successful business
since that time. Mr. Christopherson is a g-ood business man and an
esteemed citizen. In 1884, he was elected alderman from the First
ward and served two years, making- an uprig-ht, honest official.

Christoperson, Charles A., was born in Fillmore county,
Minnesota, July 23, 1871. He was raised on a farm and attended the
public schools during- his youth. He came to Sioux Falls November
24, 1890, and entered the Sioux Falls Business Colleg'e, from which
he graduated in 1891. He then commenced the study of law, and
was admitted to practice March 8, 1893. He entered Joe Kirby's
law office, where he remained one year, and then opened a law office
by himself, and has continued in the practice of his profession since
then. He has thus far been eng-ag-ed principally in the line of collec-
tions, and is an efficient collector. He is a young- man of g-reat in-
dustry and perseverance, and is a growing- lawyer.

Christopherson, G. C. — The subject of this sketch was born
at Amherst, Fillmore county, Minnesota, in 1865. He obtained his
early education in the district school, and in 1881 entered the
Decorah Institute; from there he went to the LaCrosse Business Col-
lege, and graduated from that institution in 1885. Two years later he
took a special teacher's course at the same college from Professor
Wallace, and in 1887, when Professor Wallace purchased the busi-
ness school at Sioux Falls, Mr. Christopherson was made principal
of the same, which position he held until in the spring of 1892, when
he became the proprietor.

Under Professor Christopherson's direction the Sioux Falls
Business College greatlv extended its usefulness, and earned for it-
self a large patronage and a wide reputation for thorough and prac-
tical work. In the spring of 1894, the Sioux Falls Business Colleg-e
and the Queen City Commercial College were consolidated under the
name of "Dakota Normal College and Business University and Pro-
essor Christopherson was by the board of directors chosen business
manager of the institution, in which capacity he has since remained,
and it is due largely to his efforts that this college now takes a lead-
ing place among this class of institutions in the Northwest in the
methods offered young people desirous of obtaining a thorough and
practical business education.



492 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Clark, James B., was horn in Orleans county, New York,
April 21, 1860. He was reared on a farm, attended the public
schools, and completed his education at the University of Michioan,
where he was g-raduated in 1880. He then went to Mount Carroll,
Illinois, and engag-ed in the drug- business one year. In the spring-
of 1881 he came to Sioux Palls with a car load of horses, and when
they had been disposed of he went into the real estate, loan and in-
surance business, in which he has continued to the present time.
He was one of the org-anizers of the State Banking- & Trust Com-
pany and is one of its directors. He is one of Sioux Falls best citi-
zens, and takes an active part in all public matters.

Cloudas, John B., w^as born in Pekin, 111., April 27, 1853. He
attended the common and high schools, but while quite young- went
to work in a clothing- store; in 1869 w^ent to Sioux City where he was
emploved in a clothing- store for one year; in 1870 went to Yankton
and entered the employ of S. Eisman & Co., dealers in g-ent's cloth-
ing and furnishing- goods and remained with them several years;
then went into the g-rocery business, but sold out at the end of two
years, and went to Niobrara, Nebraska, and established the first
clothing house there. On the 16th day of March, 1880, came to
Sioux Falls, and opened a clothing- store in company with S. Eisman,
under the firm name of J. B. Cloudas & Co., and continued this busi-
ness for two years, when he sold out, and w-as employed in the Queen
Bee mill until it stopped operation; since that time he has been en-
gaged in the insurance, real estate and stone business. Mr. Cloudas
is a genial good fellow, a good citizen, and has a host of friends.

Coats, Clark G., was born at Mecca, Trumbull county, Ohio,
March 14, 1844, attended the public schools and worked in his fath-
er's machine shop and novelty works until twenty-two years of age;
then went to Cleveland, Ohio, and worked in cooper shops seven
years; came to "Sioux Falls City," as it was then called, July 3, 1869,
and went to work for C. K. Howard and the next winter went to
Flandreau and took charge of C. K. Howard's general store at that
place; the last of March, 1870, returned to Sioux Falls afoot, wading
through water waist-deep in some places; in May went to Kalamazoo,
Mich., and got married, but returned to Sioux Falls in a few weeks;
his wife came in August, and during- the next winter they kept house
in the barracks, the next spring he commenced building the first
frame house in Sioux Falls, but W. S. Bloom, w^ho commenced soon
after to build the house afterwards occupied by T. H. Brow^n, fin-
ished his first. Mr. Coats took up one hundred and sixty acres of
land in Sioux Falls township, and bought forty acres more;two years
later he took up one hundred and sixty acres of land in Mapleton
tow^nship and removed there; bought eight hundred and forty acres
more and resided there until 1883, when he returned to Sioux Falls
and bought five hundred and forty acres of land situated mostly
within the city limits, and also acquired considerable city property.

Mr. Coats is a man of great energy and enterprise, and has spent
large amounts of money in endeavoring to advance the prosperity of
the city of Sioux Falls^ In 1890 he erected a large number of build-





^


^










t


.A













C. G. Coats.




Mrs. C. G. Coats.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 497



ino-s to accommodate the State Pair, and also constructed two race
tracks, one a half-mile track, the other a kite-shaped mile track,
supposingf at that time that horse racing- would be trenerally sup-
ported. He has contributed liberally to other public enterprises,
and is recognized as one of the best farmers in the county. He has
been alderman from the Third ward six years, and was a member of
the constitutional convention from Minnehaha county in LS8*). He is
a good neighbor and a good citizen.

Coats, Mrs. Ella P., wife of Clark (t. Coats, came to Sioux-
Falls in August, 1870, and since then has resided there, except a few
years, when Mr. Coats was farming on a large scale in Mapleton
township. Before moving- to their farm Mrs. Coats was very active
in social affairs and was the first Sunday school superintendent in
the county, if not in the state. Mrs. Coats is quite an artist, and has
a larg-e collection of fine paintings which are her own production.
Her maiden name was Ella Pierson, and at the time of her marriage
she was a resident of Michigan.

Cochran, Samuel J., was born in Muskingum county, Ohio,
November 20, 1834, and lived on a farm until twenty-two years of age.
At that time he went to Dakota county, Nebraska, where he built a
saw mill and manufactured lumber for about six years; went to Colo-
rado and engag-ed in freig-hting and mining about the same length of
time, and then engaged in mining in Montana two years; returned to
Ohio and again took up farming for twelve years; came to Sioux
Falls on the 4th of July, 1882, and engaged in the grocery business
with G. B. Sammons, in which he has since continued. He also owns
a nice farm in this county. Mr. Cochran is a careful, conservative
business man, and a highly esteemed citizen.

COGAN, John T., was born at Montello, Wis., May 21, 1855. He
attended school until fourteen years old, and then entered the print-
ing office of the Montello Express. When twenty years of age he
purchased a half interest in the paper. Two years later he sold out
his interest and went to Mondovi, Wisconsin, and assisted in the
publication of the Mondovi Herald until 1879 when he removed to Ree
Heights, Hand county, S. D., where he published the Ree Valley
Free Press live years. In 1884 he w^ent to Howard, Miner county,
and published the Howard Press one year, and from there went to
St. Paul, Minn., and engaged in job printing until 1880, when he re-
turned to South Dakota, and located at Sioux Falls, and published
the Sioux Falls Journal one year. In 1890 went into the employ of
Tomlinson & Day and worked on the Argus-Leader nearly seven
years. Since coming to Sioux Falls he has been alderman from the
Second ward four years, and during two years was president of the
city council, and for nine months, during the absence of Mayor Wil-
liams, w^as acting mayor. He was elected reg^ister of deeds of Min-
nehaha county in 1896, and re-elected in 1898. While a resident of
Hand county he was a member of the legislature one term. In 1893
he was a delegate to the International Typographical Union, which
met in Philadelphia and was the first delegate ever sent froni the Da-
kotas. He has been a member of the state central committee and



498 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



chairman of the county committee of the Populist party, and evinces
o-reat activity in political and other public matters. He is a g-ood of-
ficial and an esteemed citizen.

Conway, Daniel J., is a native of LaSalle, Illinois, and was born
March 8, 1859. He was educated in the common schools, the North-
ern Illinois Normal, and St. Viateurs CoUeg-e. He read law at Dixon,
111., two years, and then removed to Sioux county, Iowa, and while
residing- "there was deputy county auditor two years. In March,
1889, he came to Sioux Falls, where he has since resided eng-ag-ed in
the practice of law. At first he was in copartnership with D. E.
Powers, but in 1893 entered into a partnership with Henry A. Muller,
which still exists. Mr. Conway has been active in politics. In 1890,
was elected one of the state committee of the Democratic party, and
acted as one of the executive committee that year. In 1896, was
chairman of the state central committee, and in 1898 was elected
secretary of the same committee. In 1897, was appointed United
States commissioner, and in May, 1898, was appointed city attorney
of Sioux Falls, both of which offices he now holds. Mr. Conway is a
g-ood lawyer as well as a g-ood politician, and takes an active part in
all matters of public concern.

Corson, Harry. On the 0th day of September, 1836, Harry
Corson was born at Athens, Maine, and was named by his parents
William Henry Harrison. He has dropped the Henry and the public
have abridg-ed the rest of his name to "Harry Corson." At the time
of his birth his father "kept tavern" and when eig-ht years of age,
Harry removed with his parents to Monroe, Wisconsin, where his
father eng^ag-ed in the mercantile business. The subject of this
sketch attended the common schools during- his youth and clerked in
his father's store until 23 years of ag-e, when he went to Pleasant
Grove, Eldorado county, California, and eng-ag-ed in the hotel busi-
ness three years, and three years in mining- and g-rain speculations,
and then returned to Monroe. Soon after, he was employed by a
wholesale dry g-oods house, and was a commercial traveler for five
vears. In 1870, he came to Sioux Falls, and being- acquainted with
the surrounding- country, and recog-nizing- the natural advantag-es of
Sioux Falls, he came to the conclusion that it would not be long- be-
fore it would be an enterprising- city, and determined to become a
resident. In 1871, he settled permanently in Sioux Falls and com-
menced at once the building- of a hotel. It was completed and opened
to the public on the 5th day of Aug-ust, 1871, and Mr. Foster, com-
missioner of immig-ration, who then resided at Rockport, Hanson
county, was the first to reg-ister at the Cataract House. In 1878,
Henry T. Corson, a brother of Harry, came to Sioux Falls and from
that time the business was conducted under the name of W. H. Cor-
son & Brother, which partnership still exists. The same year they
made quite an extensive addition to the Cataract House on the north,
and ag-ain, in 1882, remodeled the whole building-, besides adding-
larg-ely to its capacity. The Cataract House is the most complete in
all its arrang-ements, as well as the best kept and most popular hotel
in the state, and while the Corsons live, it will in all probability re-
main the hotel of South Dakota.




Harry Corson.



HISTORY OF xMINNEHAHA COUNTY 5(>1



"Harrv" was not only born in a hotel, but knows how to "keep a
hotel," and his brother Henry is not only a brother in blood, l)iit was
a full brother in the hotel business.

With good business qualifications, attentive to the wants of their
t>-uests, always g-enial and pleasant, it is no wonder that they were
successful hotel keepers, and until the hotel was leased in January,
1894, stood at the head of the list of popular hotel keepers in South
Dakota. Mr. Corson at the present time is residing- in his residence
in the citv of Sioux Palls, and occupies his time in the manag-ement
of a farm in Sioux Falls township, which is owned by himself and
his brother Henry. He has always been active in promoting- the in-
terests of the city of Sioux Palls, and his friends are as numerous as
his circle of acquaintance is extensive.

Corson, Henry Tabor, is a native of Maine, and was born
November 8, 1837. He attended school during- his youth, and when
nineteen vears of ag-e went to California, and remained five years.
During- his residence on the Pacific coast he spent some time in the
mines, but during- the larg-er portion w^as employed by a Chicago
store house at San Prancisco. Upon leaving- California he went to
Chicago where he made his home, remaining in the employ of the
same house as a traveling salesman until 1878. When his brother
Harry commenced the hotel business in Sioux Palls, he contributed
to the enterprise, and in 1878 removed to Sioux Palls with his family
and took up his residence at the Cataract, where he in connection
with his brother had the management of this famous hotel until it
was leased in January, 1894. Since then he has remained a private
citizen of Sioux Palls, taking things leisurely. Mr. Corson, al-
thoug-h never an office seeker, has occasionally been energetic in
political affairs. He was a member of the board of directors of the
Dakota penitentiary in 1885-6, and took a very active part in procur-
ing the building of the Willmar & Sioux Palls railroad into Sioux
Palls, and was one of the directors of the first railroad corporation
organized for that purpose, and the first railroad station out of Sioux
Palls received his name to commemorate his services in the enter-
prise. He is a prominent Mason, a good citizen, and has a host of
friends.

CouGHRAN, Eugene W., was born in Reedsburg, Wisconsin,
June 17, 1856; attended the common schools, and was graduated from
the high school at Sparta, after which he entered the telegraph office
of the Northwestern Railroad Co. at that place. He was in Sioux
Palls a short time in 1875, but did not come there to locate perma-
nently until November 10, 1876. He was at first employed in J. D.
Cameron & Co.'s bank, but near the close of the month was em-
ployed by the Northwestern Telegraph Co., in its office just opened
at that tfme in a small frame building on Phillips avenue. The next
year Cameron & Co. built the block now occupied by Charles Vin-
cent, just opposite this frame building, and the bank and telegraph
office were moved into the new block. In the fall of 1877, he entered
the United States land office in Sioux Palls as chief clerk, and re-
tained this position until the office was removed to Mitchell. In



502 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1880, he entered into a copartnership with T. B. McMartin, under
the firm name of Coug-hran & McMartin, which continued until Octo-
ber 1, 1889. The firm was eng-ag-ed in the practice of law, real es-
tate and loans. Since the dissolution of the firm, Mr. Coug-hran has
confined his business to real estate and loans. He is ag-ood business
man, and has been successful; is a g-ood citizen, but has never been a
candidate for office.

Crisp, Jr., Walter J., was born at Marshall, Wisconsin,
March 4, 1870. His parents removed to this county and located in
Log-an township when he was three years old. He was raised on a
farm, attended the public schools, and was a student at the State
Normal school at Madison, So. Dak., for nearly three years. When
he attained his majority he entered a law office at Dell Rapids, and
studied law three months. During- the fall of 1891 he purchased the
machine business from the Jerry Law estate, and the following- year
boug-ht out H. K. Hobart in the same kind of business, and contin-
ued therein until he was elected clerk of courts of Minnehaha county
during- the fall of 189b. Upon assuming- the duties of his office, he
removed from Dell Rapids and took up his residence in Sioux Falls.
During- his official career he has g-iven universal satisfaction. He
was the nominee of the Pusionists for re-election in 1898, and not
even an old soldier candidate was successful ag-ainst him as Mr.
Crisp was re-elected. He is an all-around good fellow, and has a
host of friends.

Craig, Cy renins H., was born at Greenbush, Rensselaer county,
N. Y., November 20, 1856; attended school until thirteen years old,
then worked in a foundry one year, and was one year on a steamboat
between Greenbush and New York city. His father was captain of
the boat. When fifteen years old went into the printing- office of the
Rensselaer Gazette, where he remained until twenty-one years of
age. On the 18th day of May, 1878, arrived in Sioux Falls and
worked at the printer's trade four years. In May, 1882, went to
Decorah, Iowa, and purchased the Decorah Radical, and conducted it
for two years; sold out and returned to Sioux Falls, where he has
since resided. From July, 1884, until 1888, worked on the Press,
then purchased the Sioux Falls Journal, and published it about one
year and then sold the plant to Cogan & Stebbins, and again was
employed on the Press until March, 1890, since which time he has
been on the Argus-Leader. He has been its city editor for several
years. Is a newspaper man, and knows how to gather news. Is a
genial good fellow, minds his own business, but hates a "scoop" un-



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 51 of 99)