Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 52 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 52 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


less he can make it himself. His good citizenship is unquestioned.

Dalton, a. Edgar, was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1859,
and received a classical education. He engaged in the foundry busi-
ness for several years at Lincoln, England, and came to the United
States with his brother Henry in 1880, and located at Le Mars, Iowa,
where they engaged in farming for five years; then lived at Luverne,
Minnesota, two years, and came to Sioux Falls in 1887, and estab-
lished the Queen City Bottling works under the firm name of Dalton
Bros. During that 3'ear he married his present wife, and now has a




Edmund J. Daniels.



HISTORY OF minnp:haha county. 5o5



family of two brig-ht children, and a pleasant, hospitable home. He
is a kind neio-hbor, and a o-ood citizen.

DzVLTON, Henry J. M., was born in Lincolnshire, En<>-land,
November 2(), 1853, and received a classical education. He eno-aovd
as broker in cotton at Liverpool for several years, and came to the
United States in 1880. He first located at Le Mars, Iowa, where he
eng-ag-ed in farming- for five years; then removed to Luverne, Minne-
sota, where he resided two ^^ears, and came to Sioux Palls in the
early part of May, 1887, accompanied by his brother. During- that
year they established the Queen City Bottling- Works at Sioux Falls
under the firm name of Dalton Bros., for the manufacture of mineral
waters of all descriptions; and since that time they have continued to
do a successful business. Henry still enjoys sing-le blessedness, and
is a g-enial g-ood fellow, and a good citizen.

Daniels, Edmund J., was born in St. Albans, Vermont, Novem-
ber 22, 1855. When a lad he attended the villag-e school, but at the
ag-e of thirteen became a clerk in a dry g-oods store, and from that
time to the present Avriting- has been eng-ag-ed in some capacity in the
dry g-oods business. For a while he was a clerk in Providence, R. I.,
but in 1878 went to Minneapolis, where he remained in the employ of
Goodfellow & Eastman for two years. He then entered into copart-
nership with Harry Hornefius, and in the fall of 1880 they removed
to Sioux Palls and immediately commenced business in g-eneral mer-
chandise on Phillips avenue in w^hat has since been known as the
"Checkered Front," under the firm name of Dan and Harry. The
firm was enterprising- and soon commanded a larg-e trade. On the 8th
day of Aug-ust, 1885, the firm was dissolved b}^ mutual consent; Mr.
Daniels continuing- the business. He did not commence business in
Sioux Palls in a dug-out, but the orig-inal little "Checkered Front" he
first occupied would bear no comparison to the splendid store he now
occupies, it being- the finest and best equipped store in the city, if
not in the state. He is a merchant in all that the name implies. Al-
though a g-ood citizen, he never meddles with anything- but business.
He is a thorough business man.

Davis, Park, the subject of this sketch, is better known to the
writer than any other person wdiose name is mentioned in this book.
In the fall of 1853 we attended the Leland Seminary in Town-
shend, Vt., and the acquaintanceship formed at that time resulted a
few years later in a copartnership for the practice of law at St.
Albans, Vt. Mr. Davis was born in Athens, Vt., September 24, 1837.
His father was a farmer, but died when Park was twelve years of
age, and his mother died a year later. Under the direction of a
guardian, he worked on a farm during- his minority, except when at-
tending- school. He entered Middlebury college at Middlebury, Vt.,
in 1858, and graduated in 1862. He studied law in the law office of
Butler & Wheeler, at Jamaica, Vt., and was admitted to practice in
September, 1864. On February 3, 1865, he commenced the practice
of his profession at St. Albans, Vt., with D. R. Bailey under the
firm name of Bailey & Davis, and remained in the practice of law at
that place until the fall of 1879, when, in com])any with H. F. Stevens



506 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



who was then his law partner, he chang-ed his place of business to
the city of St. Paul, Minn., and there remained in practice under the
hrm name of Davis & Stevens until September, 1881. At the last
nientioned date he entered into copartnership with a brother-in-law,
in the pork packing- business at Albany, N. Y.. under the firm name
of Gray & Davis. On January 1, 1886, the old firm of Bailey & Davis
was renewed at Sioux Falls, and during- the summer following- Mr.
Davis built his residence on Dakota avenue and removed his family
to Sioux Palls, and commenced ag-ain the practice of law September
11. In Januar}^ 1880, W. H. Lyon was added to the firm, but soon
after Mr. Bailey's retiring- in November, 1890, the firm of Davis,
Lyon & Gates was established, and they are now eng-ag-ed in the
practice of law. Mr. Davis is a thoroughly well read lawyer, and
during- his long- practice has been eng-ag-ed in a g-reat many important
cases. He is a conservative, conscientious leg-al adviser, and when
employed, his client g-ets his services to the full extent of his ability.
His standing- among- the leg-al fraternity is evidenced by the follow-
ing- request, sig-ned by thirty-six members of the Minnehaha county
bar July 26, 1889:

"Hon. Park Davis, Sioux Falls, Dakota:

The undersig-ned, members of the bar of Minnehaha county, re-
spectfully and earnestly request, that you permit yourself to become
a candidate for the office of judg-e of the circuit court of the second
judicial circuit of the state of South Dakota, at the election in Oc-
tober next."

In 1874 he represented St. Albans in the Vermont leg-islature,
serving- with recognized ability and influence. For several years he
was Grand Master of the Masons of Vermont, and was the author of
a treatise on Masonic oifenses, trials and restoration, prescribing-
full forms of procedure, which was adopted by the Grand Lodg-e of
Vermont and incorporated in the Monitor. Since coming- to South
Dakota he has held the office of Grand High Priest of Royal Arch
Masons, and other important Masonic offices. He is a g-ood neig-hbor,
a steadfast friend, a social, g-enial g-entleman, and a respected citizen.

Darling, Mrs. Mary H., was born in Belg-rade, Maine, Decem-
ber 29, 1801, and died in Sioux Falls March 26, 1898. Her maiden
name was Mary H. Buffing-ton. In 1826, she was married to the Rev.
J. W. Darling-, a Free Will Baptist minister, who died at Freeport,
Illinois, in 1868. In 1882, she came with her daug-hters, Mrs. Row-
k'lnd and Miss Ella L. Darling-, to Sioux Falls, where she resided
until her decease. "Grandma Darling-" as she was called by those
who knew her, was a woman of more than ordinary streng-th of char-
acter. She had a purpose in living-. Industry, frug-ality, and benev-
olence, were the rules of her life. She took an active interest in all
the public questions of the day, and her sympathies were keenly en-
listed in the Cuban cause during- her last days. Living- such a life,
covering- nearly a century, made rich and g-reat by the devotion of
noble, g-ood women, it is no wonder that she was a g-rand g-ood woman
herself.




Park Davis.




C. M. Day.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTV. 511



Day, Charles Manley, was born at Sidney, Iowa, November
4, 1863. He is a son of the Hon. James G. Day of Des Moines, Iowa,
who for fourteen years was one of the supreme court judtfes of Iowa.
During- his earl}^ youth he attended the public schools and then en-
tered Tabor college where he was g-raduated in 1886, and is at the
present time one of the trustees of this institution. His newspaper
work commenced while in colleg'e, by reporting- for newspapers in
Iowa and editing- the coUeg-e paper. Immediately after completing-
his course of study at Tabor colleg-e he came to Sioux Falls, arriving-
on the 10th day of July, 1886, He was at once employed by the God-
dard Brothers on the Arg-us, and from that time to the present writ-
ing- he has been connected with the paper, except for ten days when
the Arg-us-Leader was taking- a vacation from the 1st to the iOth day
of November, 1889. During- this time Mr. Day was at work on the
Sioux Palls Press. After the purchase of the Arg-us-Leader by
Tomlinson & Day, and the responsibility of conducting- a daily news-
paper was assumed by them, Mr. Day developed into a strong- news-
paper man. He was equally at home as city editor or editor-in-chief,
and it required an expert to determine by a perusal of the columns
of the paper while he was actively connected with it which one of the
two was in charg-e of the heavy work upon any particular day. In
1897, he was appointed deputy postmaster in the Sioux Falls post-
office, but he still retains his interest in the Arg-us-Leader and
writes its editorials. He is a man of excellent g'ood sense, stands
well socially, is an oblig-ing- neig-hbor, and a thoroug-hly g-ood citizen.

Detlie, Stengrim O.. is a native of Norway, and was born
April 17, 1842. He received a common school education, and worked
for an Eng-lish carriag-e manufacturer in Norway several years. He
emig-rated to the United States in 1866, arriving- in Chicagfo in April
of that year. He remained in Chicagfo until Aug-ust following-, when
he went to Union county, Dakota, and took up a homestead and en-
gag-ed in farming- for ten years. In 1876, he was employed by the
g-overnment at the Crow Creek Indian Ag-ency, and remained there
until 1886, when he removed to Sioux Palls. In the fall of that year
he boug-ht a half interest in Martin Olson's carriag-e and blacksmith-
ing- business, and the copartnership of Olson & Detlie was then
formed. In 1894, the firm erected a store building- 50 by 90 feet,
three stories hig-h, on Seventh street, between Main and Dakota
avenues, where they have since been eng-ag-ed in the manufacture of
carriag-es. Mr. Detlie was instrumental in the org-anization of the
United Norweg-ian Lutheran church in Sioux Palls, and has been the
superintendant of its affairs since its org-anization, and the fact that
the congreg-ation has a commodious church building- in which to wor-
ship is larg-ely attributable to Mr. Detlie's enterprise and efforts.
He is an energ-etic business man, and a g-ood citizen.

Dickson, Joseph M., was born in Log-an county, Ohio, January
14, 1840. Attended public schools and worked in a tannery for some
time, and then worked on a farm in Illinois until August 10, 1862,
when he enlisted in Co. P, 125th Illinois Infantry, and served until
June 29, 1865. After his discharge he engaged in farming until 1867



512 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



when he moved to Bloomfield, Iowa, and went into the hotel and livery
business, in which he continued until he removed to this count3\ He
arrived in Sioux Palls the last day of February, 1871, and took up a
pre-emption and homestead in Mapleton township, in sections twenty-
nine and twenty-two, which he farmed until 1880, when he assumed
the. duties of sheriff of Minnehaha county, to which office he was
elected in 1879, receiving- the unanimous vote of the county; was re-
elected in 1881 and 1883, holding- the office six years; was then chief
of police in Sioux Falls three years and on the police force in all six
vears. December 28, 1898, he removed to the State of Washing-ton.
Mr. Dickson was one of the best known men in the county, a g-ood
neighbor and a highly esteemed citizen.

Dixon, Simon H., was born in Star county, Ohio, October 13,
1832. He attended the public schools and worked on a farm until he
was twenty-three years old. He then went to Iowa and for three
years was engaged as a contractor and builder, and then resumed
the occupation of farming. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. G, 35th Iowa
Inf., and was elected captain of the companv at the time it was organ-
ized and served throug-h the war. He then returned to Iowa, and
remained there engaged in farming until he removed to Sioux Falls
in March, 1892. While a resident of Iowa he held several town offices
and was appointed by the governor as commissioner at large from
the state of Iowa to the Cotton Exposition at New Orleans. Since
coming to Sioux Falls he has been engaged in the real estate busi-
ness. At the Republican countv convention of Minnehaha county, in
1898, he w^as nominated clerk of the courts, but the Republicans were
in the minority. Captain Dixon is a good citizen and an active par-
ticipator in all public matters, and, for the short time he has resided
in the county has a host of friends.

DoNAHOE, Den, was born in Canada Februarv 14, 1861. He re-
moved to Iowa with his parents when only three years of age and
from there removed to Chicago during the winter of 1871, where he
worked in his father's brick yard when not attending school. In
1878 his parents came to Sioux Falls, and Den was one of a large
family who accompanied them. Again Den went to work in his fath-
er's brick yard, and continued in that occupation until he was ap-
appointed deputy warden at the penitentiary under Daniel S. Glid-
den, who was then the warden. He held this position two years.
During the years 1893-4 was deputy sheriff under Sheriff George W.
Knott, and had his office at the court house. The following two vears
he was engaged in the ice business in Sioux Falls. In 1896 he re-
ceived the nomination for sheriff of this county by the Democratic
and Populist parties and waselected, and in 1898 was re-elected. Mr.
Donahoe makes a good official, is a good citizen, and, as the official
returns in 1896 and 1898 demonstrate, has a host of friends.

Donovan, Joseph Mitchell, was born in the beautiful town of
Littleton, New Hampshire, on the 28th dav of April, 1866. He was
graduated from the high school at Littleton in 1884; then went to
Georgetown, D. C, and attended the Georgetown University, re-
ceiving the degree of A. M. in 1887, and the degree of LL.'^B. in




Den Donahoe.



HISTORY OF MI^vNEHAHA COUNTV. 515



1880. He was admitted to the bar of the District of C(^luinhia in
June, 1889, and in October of that year removed to Sioux Falls,
where he has since been eng-ag-ed in the practice of law. He has had
quite a largfe special practice, and if appearances are to count he is
not suffering- for the wherewithal to clothe and nourish his body.
Always a g-entleman, genial and companionable, he is well liked by
the profession and a large circle of acquaintances.

DooLiTTLE, William T., was born in Loudenville, Ohio, March
30, 1849. He attended school until he was fourteen years of age, and
then entered a railroad machine shop as an apprentice. When nine-
teen years old he became a locomotive eng-ineer, and since March,
1873, has been eng-ineer on passeng-er trains. He was in charg-e of
the first passeng-er engine that ran into Sioux Falls, and, except for
a little more than a year, has been the eng-ineer on the passeng-er
train between Sioux Falls and Worthington, Minnesota, since then.

In 1879, an incident occurred which g-ave him an unexpected va-
cation for thirty days. He was eng-ineer of the train which during-
that year started out from Worthington with R. F. Pettig-rew and a
Mr. Bottineau on board, each of them having- in his pocket a deed
w^hich he was particularly anxious to g-et on record in Sioux Falls
first, and was induced by Mr. Pettig-rew to detach the engine about
two miles east of the city and bring- Mr. Pettig-rew in on the eng-ine.
Mr. Bottineau made complaint to the superintendent of the road, Mr.
John F. Lincoln, stating- the facts and demanding- S5(),()()0 damag-es.
Superintendent Lincoln sent for Eng-ineer Doolittle, and when ho
appeared the following- colloquy took place: "'William, if what is told
is true I am afraid you have g-otthe company into trouble. I am told
you detached your engine and took a party into Sioux Falls that ho
mig-ht get a deed on record before another passenger who had a deed
to the same property could do so. Is this true?" Mr. Doolittle —
"It is." Mr. Lincoln — "I could not believe you would do such an
act. The party having the other deed says he is damaged S5(),00()
by the transaction, and demands your dismissal, and threatens to
sue the company for damag-es." Mr. Doolittle — "If my dismissal
will appease the wrath of the gentleman it is a small matter; but as
to the damages, that is another thing-." Here Mr. Doolittle, who had
been advised of all the facts in the case, related them to the superin-
tendent, and told him it was simply a robbing scheme and so satis-
fied the superintendent that it was true, that he ended the interview
by bring-ing his fist down on his desk, saying: "Let him sue, he
can't recover a cent; but William, you need a rest of thirty or sixty
days; take a vacation; I will see that your pay goes right along."

Mr. Doolittle resides with his family in Sioux Falls, and was
elected alderman from the First ward in 1896, and re-elected in 1898,
and has been president of the council since May, 1897. He is prom-
inent in Masonic circles, and at this writing- (1898j is Grand Com-
mander of the Grand Commandery of the Knights Templar of South
Dakota. Socially and as a citizen he stands well, and has a host of
friends.



516 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Dow, AVallace a., was born in Croydon, New Hampshire, Sep-
tember 21, 1844. His father was a carpenter and building- contractor,
and the subject of this sketch attended the villag-e school and worked
at his father's trade during- his youth. For awhile he was eng-ag-ed
by the War department in secret work, but before twenty-one years
of ag-e he eng-ag-ed in the steam heating- business. For three years he
was^learning- what he could of this business with the view of aiding-
him in what he proposed to become his occupation for life, namely
that of an architect. For the next three years he was at work with
a competent architect at Concord, New Hampshire, and then, until
lie came West, was eng-ag-ed in architectural work and as a contractor
and builder at Newport, N. H. In the fall of 1880 he came to Pierre,
in this state, and the following- February was appointed by the Gover-
nor one of the board of directors having- in charge the building- of the
state penitentiary at Sioux Falls. He was chairman of the board
four years, and during- that time the penitentiary was built and put
in operation. Since the completion of that institution he has been
eng-ag-ed principally in architectural work, and has made the plans for
nearly all the public institutions in the state. He is undoubtedly the
best known and most competent architect in South Dakota. Mr. Dow
is a man of positive character, and any project that he may champion
is sure of persistent, earnest support. He is an enterprising-, re-
spected citizen.

Dunning, Lyman T., was born in Jefferson county, Wisconsin,
July 26, 1847. He spent his minority at work on a farm and in ob-
taining- an education in the district and city schools. At about twenty-
two vears of ag-e he entered employment in a drug- store, and worked
in the capacitv of clerk until he came to Sioux Falls in July, 1873.
Soon after his arrival he opened a drug- store at this place, and from
that time to the present writing has done a successful drug business.
In 1880 he was elected one of the trustees of the Village Board, and
in 1881 was elected its president. He has never been a politician,
but has attended strictly to business and has been successful. He
can justly be numbered as one of our best citizens, not only on ac-
count of his personal characteristics but because of his public-spirit-
ed attitude on questions affecting the interests of the city.

Eddy, Jonathan G., was born in Jamaica, Windham county,
Vermont. August 27, 1844; he was reared on a farm and educated in
the common schools and at the Leland & Gray seminary, in Town-
shend, Vermont. In 1865 he entered the law office of Hoyt H.
Wheeler, of Jamaica (now U. S. district judge of the district of Ver-
mont;, where he remained until April, 1869, at which time he was ad-
mitted to the bar. He then practiced law in Jamaica for six
years. In 1875 removed to Brattleboro and formed a copartnership
with Charles N. Davenport under the firm name of Davenport &
Eddy. It was one of the strong, successful law firms of the state of
Vermont. This copartnership continued until January, 1882, when,
owing to poor health, Mr. Davenport was compelled to retire from
active work. Mr. Eddy then formed a copartnership with James L.
Martin, of Brattleboro, which continued four years. In Julv, 1886,




William T. Doolittle



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 519



he came to Sioux Palls and formed a copartnership with H. J. Daven-
port, a son of his former partner. This hrm commenced the prac-
tice of law, but soon drifted into the real estate business. Real
estate was at that time booming-, and they made some larg-e deals and
built the Temple Court on Main avenue, but the hard times which
followed left them with the consolation onlv that thev had been with
the crowd and had shown o-reat faith in the future of their adopted
city. While a resident of Jamaica, Mr. Eddy was elected represen-
tative to the legislature and served one term. He was hio'hly es-
teemed by the leg^al profession, and had the reputation of being- a
thoroug-hly g-ood lawyer. He is now practicing- law in Sioux Falls,
and has many friends who hope that when prosperous times return
he may reap a bountiful harvest, such as will to some extent repay
him for his labor and outlay in advancing- the material interests of
Sioux Palls.

Edgerton, Alonzo J., was born at Rome, N. Y., in 1827, and
was educated at the Lowville academy at Lowville, N. Y., and at the
Wesleyan university at Middletown, Conn. In 1850 hecametoDodg-e
county, Minn., where he eng-ag-ed in the practice of law. In Aug-ust,
1861, he raised Company B, 10th reg-iment of Minnesota infantry, and
was elected its captain. He served in the Indian campaig-ns of 1802-
03, and then went south with his reg-iment, where he was in active
service during- the remainder of the civil war. He was mustered out
in 1867, but before that time commanded a brig-ade during- the riots
in New Orleans. He was a member of the first leg-islature of the
State of Minnesota, and from 1871 to 1874 was railroad commissioner.
In 1876 was one of the Hayes electors from Minnesota. In 1881 was
elected United States senator to fill the vacancy created bv Senator
Windom's accepting- the office of secretary of the treasury in Presi-
dent Garfield's cabinet. In December, 1881, was appointed chief
justice of the supreme court of the Territory of Dakota, and removed
from Minnesota to Yankton, Dakota. Was elected president of the
South Dakota constitutional convention in 1885 and 1880, and was for
a short time president of the state board of reg-ents. No\ember 10,
1889, was appointed United States district judg-e of the district
of South Dakota and held this office until his death, which
occurred on the 9th dav of Aug-ust, 180(). He resided in Yankton
four years, Mitchell four years, and Sioux Palls six years. Judge
Edg-erton was a sagacious politician, an honest, upright judg-e, and
enjoyed the al)solute confidence and the hig-hest esteem of his fellow
citizens.

Edmison, Percival H., is a native of Canada, and was born
Pebruary 24, 1844. He attended the public schools during his youth,
and then took a two years course in the Oueen's University at Kings-
ton. He taught school three years in Canada and Michigan, and dur-
ing the same time attended the University of Michigan, at Ann
Arbor, one term. He next engaged in mercantile business at Win-
throp, Iowa, remaining in trade about four years, and then traveled
for a commercial house for seven years. In November, 1871, he
started for Sioux Palls, but was caught in a blizzard at Beloit, and
did not get any further until April, 1872, when he again started for



520 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Sioux Falls, this time arriving- at his destination in due time. He
took up the southeast quarter of section thirteen in Sioux Palls town-
ship, and boug-ht the corner of Phillips avenue and Ninth street upon
which the Edmison -Jameson building- now stands, where he built a
frame building- in 1873, which remained there until the present stone
structure was erected. In November, 1880, he removed his family
to Sioux Palls. In 1882, he built the European Hotel, and in 1883,
he erected the three story building- on Ninth street, west of the
Edmison- Jameson block. In 1890, he built a stone front business block
on the west side of Phillips avenue between Ninth and Tenth streets,
and the same year, in connection with James Jameson, erected the



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 52 of 99)