Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 53 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 53 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Edmison-Jameson building-, a six story stone business block, the finest
and most costl}^ in the city. One thing- is certainly true of Mr. Edmi-
son, he had g-reat faith in the future of Sioux Palls, and has not
hesitated to invest larg-ely in such enterprises as bid fair to return a
good income, and has added g-reatly to the imposing- character of the
improvements of the city. Por this he is entitled to g-reat credit, and
it has stamped him as one of the most enterprising- and courag-eous
citizens of Sioux Palls.

Ellis, Axel S., was born in Sumner, Oxford county, Maine,
May 2, 1851. His parents removed to Sparta, Wis., when he was
quite young, and from there to Owatonna, Minn,, where the subject
of this sketch graduated from the hig-h school. He was reared on a
farm, and upon attaining- his majoritv went to Minneapolis and for
two years was employed in the Pillsbury flouring- mills; from there
went back to Sparta, where he was employed in the post office as as-
sistant postmaster until the last of January, 1887. At that time W.
P. Carr was postmaster at Sioux Palls, and at his solicitation Mr.
Ellis came to Sioux Palls January 31, 1887. The next day he went
into the post office as assistant, and remained in the office in that
capacity until he was appointed postmaster in June, 1896. He re-
ceived his appointment on the 10th of June, but did not take charg-e
of the office until the first da}^ of Aug-ust following-. The office under
his charge has been conducted to the entire satisfaction of its patrons,
and a more efficient and oblig-ing- corps of employes would be diffi-
cult to find. Mr. Ellis is a pleasant, courteous g-entleman to meet,
popular with his associates, and a higfhly esteemed citizen.

Emerson, Prank S., was born at Bang-or, Maine, in 1847, but
was reared and educated at Melrose, Mass. In 1866, he went to
Memphis, Tenn., in 1869, to St. Louis, Mo., and in 1871, to Western
Kansas, where he eng-ag-ed in the stock business six years. In 1877,
he fitted up a "prairie schooner" and with his wife and baby started
for Sioux Palls, where they safely arrived, and where they have
since resided. Mr. Emerson has lead a very active life since coming-
to Sioux Palls. He has not only eng-ag-ed in business, but has been
enterprising in public affairs. He was an official under the villag-e
organization, and city assessor in 1883-4-5, and also a member of the
board of education in 1887. On the 3d day of January, 1893, was ap-
pointed county commissioner from the fourth commissioner district,
which office he has since held. Mr. Emerson makes a g-ood official.
He is a charter member of Granite lodg-e No. 18 of the order of the




F. S. Emerson.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNT V 523



Kniuhts of Pythias, has passed the chairs of the lodo-e, and was
elected (xrand Representative in 1888. He has also passed the chairs
in the subordinate lodo-es in the order of I, O. O. P., and served as
secretary of both the Grand I>odg-e and (yrand Encampment of Da-
kota, (Trand Master, (xrand Patriarch, and Representative to the
Sovereig-n (xrand Lodg-e, and has also the rank of Major in the Patri-
archs Militant. He is also a Mason, being- a member of the Blue
Lodg-e, Chapter, Commandery, and Shrine at Sioux Palls. No man
in the city is better or more favorabh'^ known in social circles than
Prank S. JEmerson, and if he is as happy as he alwavs appears to be,
he is the most enviable man in the citv.

English, Ovando D., was born in Oswego count\-, New York,
(October 19, 1841. He came with his parents to Milwaukee, Wis., in
1849; g-raduated from the hig-h school at that place and from Delton
Academy at Delton, Wis. He learned teleg-raphy, and taug-ht it two
years in a commercial colleg-e, and became a teleg-raph operator on
the first railroad built out of St. Paul; established the oflficeat Shak-
opee, Minn., and was the operator there for one year; was in the
same emplo3^ment at Red Wing for a few months; in 18()8 went to
Nashua, Iowa, and eng-ag-ed in the furniture business until 1872; on
the 21st day of October of that year came to Sioux Palls and took uj)
several claims on Nine Mile creek and in Grand Meadow township;
for the next few years was employed in f reig-hting- and taking- care of
his claims; was eng-ag-ed in the flour and feed business for two vears
in the city of Sioux Palls, and for six years was the teleg-raph opera-
tor at the Omaha depot. He is now employed in the county auditor's
office. Mr. Eng-lish is hig-hly respected as a neig-hbor and a citizen.

Ericson, Carl Oscar, was born in Sweden April 15, 1853. His
father w^as a manufacturer of tower clocks, watches cWid other clocks
on quite an extensive scale, and the time he could spare from his
studies was spent in the shops, where he soon learned to master the
intricacies of machinery and watchmaking- with wonderful accuracy.
When only seventeen years of ag-e he was emploved to reg-ulate and
remodel a g-reat number of clocks of exceeding-ly fine workmanshipfor
the royal family of Sweden, and daily visited the royal palace at
Stockholm. In 1872 he was taken with the fever of seeing- America,
and setting- out for that country landed in Quebec, Canada, where he
engag-ed in the watchmaking- and jewelry business for about five
years; came to the United States and after looking- the country over
located at Brodhead, Wis., until he removed to Sioux Palls, where
he arrived in the fall of 1879. He opened a jewelry store on Phillips
avenue, and soon after commenced building- the tower clock which is
now doing- duty in the Masonic Temple at Sioux Falls, and was the
first tower clock in Dakota. In 1886 he was induced to take charg-e
of the Electric Lig-ht plant at Sioux Palls, which was then in its in-
fancy, and he remained its superintendent andmanag-er through all
its stag-es of development until it became one of the larg-est and best
running- plants in the Northwest, and g-ained for himself quite an en-
viable reputation as an electrician. He was a mechanical genius and
made several inventions, one of which in particular attracted the at-



524 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



tention of the scientific world and was discussed at leng-th in the Sci-
entific American and other kindred papers, and for which the Invent-
ors' Academy of Paris, Prance, awarded him on the 12th of August,
1893 the "Great Gold Medal," and conferred upon him the title of
Member of Honor of the Academy. During- the latter part of 18%
his health commenced failing- and he was compelled to resign his po-
sition at the electric light works and went to California in the hope
of regaining his health, but after a few months stay in that country
returned to Sioux Falls, where after a lingering illness he died on the
4th day of February, 1898. Mr. Bricson was a conscientious, upright
and highly respected citizen, and his death was deeply regretted by
his large circle of friends.

Ericson, Miss Anna Bernardina, is a native of Sweden and
came to the United States in 1889, to visit her brother, Oscar Eric-
son, of Sioux Falls. In 1890 she commenced a course of phonog-
raphy in the office of the court reporter, E. P. White, in order to
perfect herself in the English language. In 1891 she had become
so proficient in stenography and type writing that she obtained em-
ployment as stenographer in a law office, and since then has been
employed bv some of the best law firms in the city. She has also
devoted considerable time to the collection of data, and in prepar-
ing the manuscript of this History for the press.

EsTABROOK, L. M., is a native of Platteville, Wisconsin, and was
born February 25, 1852. He received his education in the first State
Normal School which was located at Platteville, and was graduated
from the law department of the Michigan University in the class of
1875. He then located at Logan, Iowa, and practiced law for one
year, and then came to Sioux Palls, where he eng"aged in the practice
of his profession and in the real estate business for several years.
Owing to poor health of himself and family he moved out on his farm
in Brandon and remained there until 1894, when he returned to
Sioux Palls, where he has since resided. He was appointed city
auditor in May, 1898. Mr.Estabrook is one of the leading politicians
in the state. He was one of the first men in this county to join the
Populist organization, and has grown up with it. During the presi-
dential campaign of 1896 he was chairman of the state committee,
and contributed largely to the success of the party. He is well
posted, and makes a good speech from his standpoint when cam-
paigning, and is radical enough in his political views to be recognized
as one of the advance guard. He is a good citizen, and popular with
the laboring classes whose cause he most heartily espouses.

Pernyhough, John Harry, was born in England, June 22,
1863. When about four years old he came to the United States with
his mother; his father having previously died. After coming to this
country he resided with his mother in Wisconsin and Iowa, and came
with her to Sioux Palls, December 18, 1879, where he has since re-
sided. He graduated from the high school in Sioux Palls, and then
entered the law office of Boyce &' Boyce, and also attended a law
school in Chicago for one year. After being admitted to the bar he
was employed in Boyce & Boyce's office for two years. He then




L. M. ESTABROOK.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 527



opened a law office for himself, but soon drifted into the real estate
business. After the boom was over in 1893, he resumed the practice
of law, in which he has since continued. Mr. Pernvhoug-h is a
t>-enial, good fellow, attentive to business, a ,i>-ood citizen, and has a
host of friends.

Ferris, James, was born in Belfast, Ireland, September 7, 1852;
attended school until twelve years old, and then entered Queen's
Island shipyard as a ship plumber apprentice, where he remained
seven years. After this he worked at his trade in Liverpool, (xlas-
o-ow and Aberdeen. He emig-rated to the United States, arriving- in
New York March 24, 1884, worked there a short time, and then in
Detroit, Michig"in, and St. Paul, Minnesota, and arrived in Sioux
Palls in Aug'ust, 1884; was emploved by W. A. Dow eigditeen months,
and since then has been in business for himself. Mr. Ferris is an
industrious man, a competent plumber, and a g-ood citizen.

Files, Dr. Frederick H., was born in Gorham, Maine, Decem-
ber 1, 1862; was reared on a farm, attended the public schools, and
fitted for colleg-e at the Westbrook seminary, and was g-raduated
from Bowdoin colleg-e in 1883; the next three years taug-ht the boys'
department in the Westbrook seminarv.and stvidied medicine during-
the same time; the next two years attended the school for medical
instruction at Portland, and the medical department of Bowdoin col-
lege, from which he was g-raduated in 1888; from Aug-ust 1 of that
\ ear until Aug-ust 1, 1889, was house surg-eon in the Maine g-eneral
hospital at Portland; and then started west on an excursion, and fell
in with the Commercial Club of Sioux Falls, at Duluth, and came to
Sioux Palls with them, where he has since resided eng-ag-ed in the
practice of his profession. He is prominent in Masonic circles, and
has been (Trand Master of the (jrand Lodg-e of South Dakota. Was
appointed member of the State Board of Health for five years in 1894;
is now secretary of the board, and under the provisions of the law
establishing- the board will be its president in 1899. Has been a
member of the County Board of Health for two years, and its superin-
tendent one year. Has also been president of the Minnehaha County
Medical society; is now president of the board of trustees of the
Cong-reg-ational church; and was a director of the Union National
Bank. Dr. Files is an enterprising- citizen, a skillful physician, and
well liked by all who know him.

Fisher, Rev. Thomas L., was born at Hartford, Connecticut,
June 8, 1855. He attended the public schools, and g-raduated from
the hig-h school at Hartford in 1874. He then entered Amherst col-
legfe, and was g-raduated from there in 1878. During- the next year
he studied medicine, and then commenced a course of study for the
ministry. He was ordained deacon in May, 1883, by Bishop Hunt-
ing-ton of Central New York, and the following- year was ordained to
the priesthood by Bishop Paddock of Massachusetts. For five years
he had charge of a parish at Maiden, Mass., and then became" rector
of a parish at Clinton, Mass., where he remained seven years. He
came to Sioux Falls in December, 1895, and preached his first sermon
in the Cathedral December 22. The next Easter he became pastor



528 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



of Calvary church, and remained in charge until May, 1899. While
a resident of Sioux Falls he took an active part in all public matters
pertaining- to the moral welfare of the city, and did not hesitate to
express his views freely upon other subjects of public interest. As
a preacher, pastor and citizen he was higfhly esteemed, and his re-
moval from the city was sincerely reg-retted by all who had the pleas-
ure of his aquaintance.

PiTZGiBBON, John, was born near Troy, New York, September
25, 1856. He removed with his parents to Wisconsin when two years
old, and was reared on a farm. Received his education in the com-
mon schools, and was g-raduated from a commercial colleg-e. On the
21st day of April, 1880, came to Sioux Palls, and was employed on the
Oueen Bee mill a little over a year, and then entered the employ of
M. Gerin in his grocery store, where he remained five years. The
next three years he was steward at the Cataract hotel. On the first
dav of August, 1890, the firm of Sheridan & Fitzgibbon was estab-
lished, and it has since then been engaged in the coal, wood and flour
business in Sioux Falls. Mr. Fitzgibbon is a genial good fellow, a
good business man, and a respected citizen.

Fleitz, Eihardt, was born in Baden, Germany, January 0,
1848. His early youth he spent in attending school, and boating on
the Rhine. In 1862 he emigrated to the United States, and settled
in Louisville, Ky. For awhile he was employed as a laborer in build-
ing forts at that place, and then entered a brewery and learned the
trade of malster. In 1866, he enlisted in Co. D, 2d Battalion, 13th
U. S. Infantry, but the company was soon after transferred to the
22d Infantry, and he came to Sioux Falls with that company in
June, 1866. ^ On the 7th day of May, 1869, his term of enlistment
having expired, he was discharged. The same year he took up what
is known as the True Dennis place in Sioux Falls township, but sold
out his interest in 1873, and then took up a quarter section of land
about three miles north of the village of Hartford. In 1876 his crops
were destroyed by grasshoppers, and he removed to the city of Sioux
Falls, where he has since been engaged as a malster in the Sioux
Falls Brewery. Mr. Fleitz is a quiet, unassuming man, and a good
citizen.

FosDicK, Timothy J., is a native of LaPorte, Indiana, and was
])orn October 8, 1851; removed to LaPorte, Iowa, with his parents
when seven years old; was educated in the public schools, and grad-
uated from the high school at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. When seventeen
years of age commenced clerking in a clothing house. In August,
1875, came to Canton, this state, and engaged in the clothing busi-
ness, and for several years had branch houses at Alexandria, Mitch-
ell, Plankinton and Woonsocket. In 1888, disposed of the clothing
business, and for two years engaged in banking at Canton; was pres-
ident of the Dakota Loan and Trust Company. Came to Sioux Falls
in April, 1890, and bought out French's clothing house, and since
then has been in the clothing business at this place. He is a member
of the Masonic bodies, a successful business man, and a respected
citizen.




(). A. Fowler.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY 531



Fowler, Oshea A., was born in Pownal, Vermont, A])ril 25,
1851. His parents removed to Illinois when he was only three years
old, and to Rochester, Minnesota, in 18()5. He was reared on a farm,
attended district schools and o-radiiated from the Rochester hio-h
school in ISl/). He then worked on a farm until he went to Sioux
Falls, where he arrived on the 22d day of December, 1S70. He re-
mained in Sioux Falls until 187(), en^-ao-ed in all sorts of employment;
tauo-ht school in the old barracks durino- the winter of 1871, and ei^-ht
miles north the following- winter, in what was called the John Nelson
district. After leavino- Sioux Falls he clerked in a hotel at Siblev,
Iowa, for one year, and then traveled in the nursery business until
the fall of 1880, when he located at Aberdeen and built the first build-
ing there. He knew the Milwaukee road would soon be there, and
this buildincj- was erected for hotel purposes and called the Al])ha
House. The followint^;- spring- he sold this building- and in company
with a man by the name of Hazzard built the Hazzard House, but sold
out his interest in the fall. His first son was born September 3, 1881,
at Aberdeen, and was the first child born at that place. After having-
sold his hotel interest he commenced the study of law with M. S.
Gordon and remained with him for about two years. His next ven-
ture was the opening- of a land and loan office at Frederick, in Brown
county, and the establishing- of the Frederick Herald, the first news-
paper at that place. This plant he sold after having- conducted it for
a few months. In 1884 he was admitted to the bar; started another
newspaper, but disposed of it in a short time and g-ave his attention
to the practice of law. In 1886 he came to Sioux Falls and became
the attorney for the Insurance Company of Dakota. This relation
existed for a few months, when he entered the employment of the
firm of Summers & Van Horn, of Sioux Falls, as their attorney and
collector. After a few months he ag-ain went to work for the Insur-
ance Company of Dakota and remained with the company until it
ceased to exist. He then resumed the practice of law, but devoted
the g-reater portion of his time to collections until April, 18%, when
he was elected police justice of the city of Sioux Falls for the term
of two years and was re-elected for a second term. Everybody in the
county knows O. A. Fowler, and his list of friends foot up about the
same as the population.

Fox, James B., was born in October, 1839, in Ohio, and lived
there until he was twenty years of ag-e, when he removed to Iowa and
remained there until the' breaking; out of the war. In October, 18()1,
he enlisted in the 14th Iowa Infantry and served two years and a
half, then enlisted in Company M, 7th Iowa Cavalry and served until
his discharg-e at Sioux City on the 22d day of June, 18()6. Ouite a
portion of the time his reg-iment was stationed on the frontier in the
northwest, he participated in a good many battles with the Indians.
He was with his reg-iment at Forts Randall, Thompson, Sully and
Dakota. The winter of 1864-5 he spent in the barracks at Fire Steel,
and speaking- of "blizzards" Mr. Fox said: "We had a blizzard that
winter that was a blizzard, nothing- of the kind has happened in this
section of Dakota since then to be compared with it." Duringf the
fall of 1865 he was at Fort Dakota, where Sioux Falls is now located,



532 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



and during- the summer of 1866 he says, "the water was so low in
the Sioux river that people could cross it where the Cascade mill is
now without g-ettino- their shoes wet." x\t that time there were only
two small buildino-s within the present limits of the city of Sioux
Falls, aside from the buildings occupied b}^ the military forces. One
building- was located near where the Cataract hotel is now, and the
other on the west bank of the river, near the location of the Tenth
street bridg-e. The last mentioned building- was very small and built
of stone, and was occupied by a white man who had a turning- lathe
and was engag-ed in manufacturing- ornaments of pipe-stone. This
was undoubtedly the first manufacturing- industry in the County of
Minnehaha.

After his discharg-e from the army, Mr. Fox remained a few
months in Sioux City and then returned to Ohio. In 1867 he went
to Illinois, where he married his present wife and lived two years,
then went back once more to Ohio and remained there until 1878,
when he removed to Dakota. He arrived in Sioux Falls on the 15th
day of April of that year, and has been a resident of Dakota ever
since. He is a carpenter by trade, and for the last five years has
been employed as janitor for the Central school building- in Sioux
Falls. He has always been an uprig-ht and respected citizen.

Frizzell, Alonzo, was born in Canaan, Vermont, the northeast
town in the state, on October 16, 1839. During- his minority he
worked on a farm, attended the common schools and academic insti-
tutions, and taug-ht school several terms. He went to Wisconsin in
1855, and from there to Madelia, Minnesota, where for some vears he
was eng-ag-ed in the ag-ricultural implement and lumber business. In
1874 he commenced the study of law in the office of H. S. Wilson &
Co., of the same city, and was admitted to the bar in 1876. After his
admission he practiced law at Madelia for two years, and removed to
Sioux Falls in April, 1878, and commenced the practice of his pro-
fession. In March, 1879, he entered into copartnership with Judg-e
Parliman, under the firm name of Parliman & Frizzell, which co-
partnership continued until January, 1883. He was elected villag-e
attorney in December, 1878, and acted in this capacity during- the
time Sioux Falls was a villag-e, except one year. He was city attorney
in 1883 and 1884, during- which time he had charg-e of some very im-
portant suits in which the city was interested, and he conducted them
successfully. Ag-ain in 1889 he was appointed city attorney and held
the office for one year. In June, 1892, he went to Madison, S. D., and
practiced law until 1896. At that time he removed to Cripple Creek,
Colorado, where he remained one year and then returned to Sioux
Falls and practiced law until early in 1899, when he ag-ain went to
Cripple Creek, where he is at the present writing-. He always feels
well, is g-enial and companionable, and has been known to put up a
strong- fig-ht in a law suit.

FuLFORD, Dr. George H., was born at Chittenang-o, Madison
county, N. Y., July 18, 1854. His father was a Methodist preacher,
and he obtained his early education in towns where his father
])reached. In 1872 he g-raduated from Og-densburg- Commercial col-




J. B. Fox.




Alonzo Frizzell.



HISTORY OP" MINNEHAHA COUNT V, 537



leg'e; attended Ives Seminarv, a literary and colleg'e preparatory
school, located at Andover, N. Y., three years; was g-raduated from
there in 1876, and won the o-old medal offered for best development
in scholarship and deportment that ^ear; attended Syracuse Univer-
sity in 1876-7, and during- the fall of 1877 entered the medical depart-
ment of Boston University, took a three vears course, and g-raduated
in 1880; took full course at the New York Polyclinic in 1888-9, and a
clinical course in Chicag-o in 1893; practiced medicine in New York
state five years, and located at Sioux Falls in December, 1885, where
he has since resided practicing his profession. He is a member of
the Lone Star Masonic lodg-e, of Adams, N. Y., and also of the A. ().
U. W., Woodmen of the World, Modern Woodmen, and the Tribe of
Joseph. He was nominated for coroner on the Republican ticket in
1898, but was defeated with the rest of the nominees of that party.
Dr. Pulford is the leading- homeopathic physician in this part of the
state, and has a larg-e practice.

Fuller, Rev. Andrew King, was born March 3, 1855, in Mason-
ville, Delaware county, N. Y. His early life was spent on a farm,
and when sixteen 3-ears of ag-e he taught a district school; was edu-
cated at the Afton Academy and Colgate University, where he was
g-raduated in 1879, standing- fourth in his class, and became teacher
in elocution for two years at the same place. In 1882 he was g-rad-
uated from the Hamilton Theological Seminary. In June of that
year he married Phoebe E. Sisson, of Hamilton, N. Y. During the
next seven years he had charge of the Wurts Baptist church, of
Rondout, N. Y. He removed to Sioux Falls September 1, 1889, and
remained three years as pastor of the First Baptist church, of Sioux
Falls. He then returned East to New^burg-h, N. Y., and on October
9, 1892, took charge of the First Baptist church of that place. While



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 53 of 99)